Akini's Tribute to Madonna: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

From which album is my favourite Madonna song lifted?

Madonna
No votes
Like a Virgin
No votes
True Blue
5%
Like a Prayer
37%
Erotica
21%
Bedtime Stories
5%
Ray of Light
21%
Music
No votes
American Life
No votes
Confessions on a Dance Floor
5%
Hard Candy
No votes
MDNA
5%
Rebel Heart
No votes

Total votes : 19

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:50 am

JSparksFan wrote:Lovely timing. :lol:
I COMPLETELY forgot that she included that in "Girl Gone Wild" too :oops: I was totally thinking of "Act Of Contrition." Either way, glad you appreciated the reference! :lol:

JSparksFan wrote:I can do you one better: I'm not sure who Jack White is. :oops: :lol:
:o Speaking of prayers, heaven help you if anyone at Pitchfork sees that! He was 1/2 of The White Stripes, and then put out some solo albums.

JSparksFan wrote:Akon's "Don't Matter"?
That's the one :cry: Admittedly, as I examine the lyrics in the verses more closely now, there's some pronouns that make the same-sex-love angle fall apart, but that chorus is just TOO fitting:

"Nobody wanna see us together
But it don't matter no
'Cause we gonna fight
Oh yes we gonna fight
Believe we gonna fight
Fight for our right to love yeah..."

JSparksFan wrote:YES! :lol:
I'm 150% delighted to hear that! :D

JSparksFan wrote:In a sense, it's like "There's Got to Be a Way" how it offers a very surface-level solution. I think she did a better job tackling the big issues with "Swim", but I think many of these big issues do have remedies that are quite simple. It's just that there are a lot of finer details that make the simple solution improbable.
Not gonna lie, I'd considered adding TGTBAW to my "superior examples" list...but then realized, like you said, it's pretty much the same situation as LMTWGR :lol: Per usual, I'm admittedly doing a BIT of stretching to justify and explain what's primarily an emotional/instinctual response to these songs. When I hear LMTWGR, my head and my heart just say "NEXT!" (even if there really aren't many legitimate bones to pick with the track.)

JSparksFan wrote:As a champion for diversity, New York represents everything I believe a place should be: people of all races, religions, sexual orientations co-existing with a greater degree of harmony than anywhere else that comes to mind. Visually, it's stunning. You just walk around and marvel at the grandeur of the architecture. There's also an intangible magic, where you just get the sense that if there's anywhere that your wildest dreams can come true, it's New York.
Ah, that makes PERFECT sense! Shamefully, I've never made a proper visit to NYC (just wandered around for several hours during an exceptionally long layover once, dragging our suitcases through a small chunk of Manhattan.) I've definitely felt what you're describing in other major American cities, so it's easy to believe that it would be amplified in the grandest one of all.

JSparksFan wrote:Ah, I've annihilated another one. :lol:
Eh, after some of the true atrocities down below, I'm pretty grateful for a ranking like No. 47. :lol:

JSparksFan wrote:They are changeable up until the second I press 'Submit'.
AKA your sister and I need to ramp up our petitioning game ASAP. "'4 MINUTES' FOR NO. 25!" "LAP FOR NO. 1!!"

JSparksFan wrote:Even if it's forgotten, I find it impressive that a song like that even went to #1 in the US. It's so...tender and vulnerable.
**Nod** It's pretty unfathomable in 2017 (even if it were coming from an artist with more current clout than M.)

• That background effect in the chorus of "Words" could've turned into something insufferable, but I actually really like it and think it helps the track stand out (in a good way.) The melody itself is pretty catchy (and SO universal) too. It's up there with "Thief Of Hearts" as one of the strongest single contenders left untouched on that album.
• Speaking of single contenders, I swear I've read somewhere that her label/some powers that be pushed for "Don't Stop" to be the third or fourth BS single - a choice that I can completely understand, but I also understand why M probably pushed for what we got instead. "Don't Stop" is super safe, but super catchy and super fun. Easily the bubbliest moment on the album, and I love it for that.
• Not sure if I read it somewhere (or just assumed), but I've also been under the impression that "Spanish Eyes" was an ode to AIDS victims (and a truly tender one at that.)
• I'm pretty surprised that you're so forgiving of her pitch in "Mother And Father" (SUCH a Minnie Mouse moment until the chorus hits.) I guess the substance really redeems it for you...but that's also pretty surprising, since you weren't very kind to her other tracks specifically about her parents.
• I've griped about "Bad Girl" before, so I won't harsh on it much more here. For an artist with SUCH an ear for melodies, that chorus is just...a chore :oops: Your interpretation of her tone shift is quite clever, and something that never crossed my mind, so I really enjoyed reading that (but it's still not enough to make me want to actually play the song any more than before...) :lol:
• Like "Celebration", GGW is another example of an M offering that should have me totally hooked on paper, but instead leaves me feeling pretty indifferent. Also like "Celebration", I blame it on the chorus: the "hey-ey-ey's" just aren't catchy enough to serve as its foundation. The song does have some infectious moments: "it must be the Tanqueray, I'm about to go astray, my inhibition's gone away..." Actually, overall, I think the verses are much stronger than (but still not quite enough to salvage the song from) a chorus that just leaves me cold.
• I can definitely appreciate "Waiting" - maybe not so much as to put it at No. 29, but it's probably my second-favorite non-single on Erotica (after "Thief Of Hearts." Well, probably tied with "Words.") So many great lines throughout (especially the part that BodyShop highlighted), and a simple hook that sticks with you. "and you're lead to believe, in your moment of need, that they want what you want, but they don't...."
• "Material Girl" is such a fun escapist/roleplay moment. Although I don't actually aspire to be so shallow, Madonna makes that lifestyle into a really enjoyable ride for 4 minutes or so. A musical caricature at its finest (with some cold hard truth in there about societal values, in the 80's and still very much so today.)
• I'm surprised you didn't drag "Lucky Star" for dragging on the way you did with "Borderline" (especially if we're talking about the album version) - but I obviously don't want to talk you OUT of liking it! ;)
• Massive **round of applause** for highlighting and expertly summarizing the brilliance of "Till Death Do Us Part." I LOVE the contrast of the incredibly dark, bleak (and honest) story with what's basically a bubblegum pop sound. It seems like such a missed single opportunity, but I can imagine how she might not have wanted to do all kinds of promo/performances at the time. Too soon...
phoenix98
Legend

Postby BodyShop » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Hey,Akini ! When are you going to update this ? :D
BodyShop
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks for the comments, everyone! :)

Benny wrote:'Girl Gone Wild' is okay but too high. 'Material Girl' is one of my favourites from her early years.
'Lucky Star' is not so great.
I must admit that its intro helps "Girl Gone Wild" quite a bit.

BodyShop wrote: :o wow ! Great to know that :D 8-)
These tributes usually result in those kind of spikes. Mariah became my all-time favourite shortly after hers. :lol:

BodyShop wrote:Interesting batch . Girl Gone Wild is such a weird case for me .I mean,there's nothing special about the song :lyrics,arrangements,nothing ! But still... It's so good . After seeing it as the opening song of the MDNA Tour,i simply couldn't rrsist it anymore and still listen to it nowadays lol
*Material Girl is one of her best from the early years. Infectious song . i would definitely place it in my top 30.
Lucky star is another example of a song that has grown on me through the years. I still dont rank it among her best ones but,especially after the Confessions tour performance, it has stopped being a "meh" song in my book .
*Erotica is one of my fave albums and there's this section of the album that stands out for me :Waiting/Thief of Hearts/Words. Weirdly enough, i think of them as a trinity lol.
The tone of her voice along with the frankly spoken lyrics ("tell me who is going to take my place" ugh!!! ) is what makes the song unique for me. The beat is sophisticated and distinguishes Waiting from the great majority of her songs . it also contains one of my favorite lines "and the next time you want pu**y,just look in the mirror baby" :lol: .
*now we find some serious love here:Till Death Do Us Part. This is easily one her very,very best . The lyrics and the way she describes her marriage with Sean ,alone,is enough to place it among her top 15/10 .
Also,like you said,the contrast between the content and the "happy" beat is an undeniable bonus. To top all that,how many of us can relate to what she's saying ?? Lol. I CERTAINLY do :lol:
I do love that ending in "Waiting"! :lol:

Glad to see you love "Till Death Do Us Part" even more than I do.

Erotica wrote:Words is great, love it so much, should have been a single :)

Bad Girl is one of her best singles, but very underrated. The video is one of her best too

Somehow I always loved Girl Gone Wild
Ah, a "Girl Gone Wild" fan! 8-)

MusicLover88 wrote:I've never liked Lucky Star at all.

As dated as MG might sound, there's something so enrapturing about the chorus. The hook is insane.

Till Death Do Us Part, Words and Girl Gone Wild are all great.
Indeed! Its production some prehistoric in parts, but there's an allure she hides in that chorus that possesses you every time.

biscuits wrote:BAD GIRL IS DA BEST!!!
Considering some of the faves you have of other artists, this one is a winner! 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:I COMPLETELY forgot that she included that in "Girl Gone Wild" too :oops: I was totally thinking of "Act Of Contrition." Either way, glad you appreciated the reference! :lol:
:wink:

phoenix98 wrote: :o Speaking of prayers, heaven help you if anyone at Pitchfork sees that! He was 1/2 of The White Stripes, and then put out some solo albums.
Explaining one unknown with another? That's not helpful, Paul. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:That's the one :cry: Admittedly, as I examine the lyrics in the verses more closely now, there's some pronouns that make the same-sex-love angle fall apart, but that chorus is just TOO fitting:

"Nobody wanna see us together
But it don't matter no
'Cause we gonna fight
Oh yes we gonna fight
Believe we gonna fight
Fight for our right to love yeah..."
Fair point!

phoenix98 wrote:Not gonna lie, I'd considered adding TGTBAW to my "superior examples" list...but then realized, like you said, it's pretty much the same situation as LMTWGR :lol: Per usual, I'm admittedly doing a BIT of stretching to justify and explain what's primarily an emotional/instinctual response to these songs. When I hear LMTWGR, my head and my heart just say "NEXT!" (even if there really aren't many legitimate bones to pick with the track.)
Stretch away! I don't mind. 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, that makes PERFECT sense! Shamefully, I've never made a proper visit to NYC (just wandered around for several hours during an exceptionally long layover once, dragging our suitcases through a small chunk of Manhattan.) I've definitely felt what you're describing in other major American cities, so it's easy to believe that it would be amplified in the grandest one of all.
You really must give it a proper visit one of these days. I can't wait to go back.

phoenix98 wrote:Eh, after some of the true atrocities down below, I'm pretty grateful for a ranking like No. 47. :lol:
Oops. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:AKA your sister and I need to ramp up our petitioning game ASAP. "'4 MINUTES' FOR NO. 25!" "LAP FOR NO. 1!!"
Sure, that might work. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• That background effect in the chorus of "Words" could've turned into something insufferable, but I actually really like it and think it helps the track stand out (in a good way.) The melody itself is pretty catchy (and SO universal) too. It's up there with "Thief Of Hearts" as one of the strongest single contenders left untouched on that album.
Cool, cool. 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:• Speaking of single contenders, I swear I've read somewhere that her label/some powers that be pushed for "Don't Stop" to be the third or fourth BS single - a choice that I can completely understand, but I also understand why M probably pushed for what we got instead. "Don't Stop" is super safe, but super catchy and super fun. Easily the bubbliest moment on the album, and I love it for that.
Well, I definitely would have preferred "Don't Stop" over the title track, but "Human Nature"? Not quite.

phoenix98 wrote:• Not sure if I read it somewhere (or just assumed), but I've also been under the impression that "Spanish Eyes" was an ode to AIDS victims (and a truly tender one at that.)
It's titled "Pray for Spanish Eyes" in some editions of the CD, too, I believe.

phoenix98 wrote:• I'm pretty surprised that you're so forgiving of her pitch in "Mother And Father" (SUCH a Minnie Mouse moment until the chorus hits.) I guess the substance really redeems it for you...but that's also pretty surprising, since you weren't very kind to her other tracks specifically about her parents.
She does the theme justice on this song for me.

phoenix98 wrote:• I've griped about "Bad Girl" before, so I won't harsh on it much more here. For an artist with SUCH an ear for melodies, that chorus is just...a chore :oops: Your interpretation of her tone shift is quite clever, and something that never crossed my mind, so I really enjoyed reading that (but it's still not enough to make me want to actually play the song any more than before...) :lol:
Well, maybe that interpretation gives it at least a fighting chance to grow on you one of these days. 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:• Like "Celebration", GGW is another example of an M offering that should have me totally hooked on paper, but instead leaves me feeling pretty indifferent. Also like "Celebration", I blame it on the chorus: the "hey-ey-ey's" just aren't catchy enough to serve as its foundation. The song does have some infectious moments: "it must be the Tanqueray, I'm about to go astray, my inhibition's gone away..." Actually, overall, I think the verses are much stronger than (but still not quite enough to salvage the song from) a chorus that just leaves me cold.
The cool thing about Madonna's discography is that she seems to have a fair few fun, 'light' tracks in her discography that really resonate with fans. I think we've been in a bit of disagreement over which of those are keepers versus skippers ("Into the Groove" and now this).

phoenix98 wrote:• I can definitely appreciate "Waiting" - maybe not so much as to put it at No. 29, but it's probably my second-favorite non-single on Erotica (after "Thief Of Hearts." Well, probably tied with "Words.") So many great lines throughout (especially the part that BodyShop highlighted), and a simple hook that sticks with you. "and you're lead to believe, in your moment of need, that they want what you want, but they don't...."
Glad we're in major agreement on this one. 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:• "Material Girl" is such a fun escapist/roleplay moment. Although I don't actually aspire to be so shallow, Madonna makes that lifestyle into a really enjoyable ride for 4 minutes or so. A musical caricature at its finest (with some cold hard truth in there about societal values, in the 80's and still very much so today.)
Perhaps even moreso today.

As for that "4 Minutes" mention, I thought we were proclaiming death to that atrocity. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• I'm surprised you didn't drag "Lucky Star" for dragging on the way you did with "Borderline" (especially if we're talking about the album version) - but I obviously don't want to talk you OUT of liking it! ;)
If a bearable drag leads to something beautiful, I forgive the drag. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• Massive **round of applause** for highlighting and expertly summarizing the brilliance of "Till Death Do Us Part." I LOVE the contrast of the incredibly dark, bleak (and honest) story with what's basically a bubblegum pop sound. It seems like such a missed single opportunity, but I can imagine how she might not have wanted to do all kinds of promo/performances at the time. Too soon...
A Madonna match! :cry:

BodyShop wrote:Hey,Akini ! When are you going to update this ? :D
Chickenpox has sidelined me for a week now, but I'm updating this now! :wink:
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:38 pm

025. Where's the Party

"Where's the Party" embodies the carefree, fun vibe of its parent album better than most - not all - of its sister tracks. What I love most about it is that she seems to be fighting against settling into mundane adulthood routine, anxious to have a party to break up the monotony. As a young adult, I feel like "Where's the Party" sums up the current stage of my journey. It may be my ears playing tricks on me, but I also hear background cheers of delight - presumably from her peers caught in the same plight - as well as the cry of a baby at the end, which suggests that when the party does end, it's back to reality, sadly. 8.6/10
024. Human Nature

Dark, defiant, sarcastic, empowering, this was Madonna being unapologetic almost two decades before Rihanna came around and popularised the term among my generation. Here, Madonna stands her ground, issuing no apology for her overtly sexual images and lyrics, even going as far as to label the widespread criticism of her image a product of cultural sexism, which is sadly still an issue 20-odd years later. This was always one of my favourite Madonna songs, and how could it not be, when my first acquaintance with it featured Britney Spears? 8.6/10
023. Take a Bow

If there ever a classy Madonna song you needed to have a ballroom dance to, outside of the Evita soundtrack, you'd be hard pressed to find a better option than "Take a Bow". The elegant craftsmanship of the chorus should have earned Babyface a Grammy award, and his background vocals complement the spirit of the song perfectly. This is a song that took years to grow on me. I always felt it was overrated, but it has a subtle beauty that shines dazzlingly bright enough to warrant it earning the closing track privilege on Bedtime Stories. 8.6/10
022. Causing a Commotion

This song has such an electric chorus that it steals the show from the rest of the song. I hardly remember the verses, because they're just props, holding that simple, yet genius, monster up for 30 years. 8.7/10
021. Devil Pray

The pre-chorus on this song is a list of very socially unacceptable vices here in the West Indies - which is primarily the reason I love it so much - but Madonna's assertion that instead of turning to all of these demons, perhaps as a coping mechanism for dealing with our own, we turn to each other to find solace is fantastic, and a message I wholly endorse, with limited exceptions. It also sounds like she endorses this healing through community over religion, so her statement in the chorus of, We could travel all together, and make the devil pray is particularly profound, as you would suspect a devil (of whatever variant) has something to gain from division. Besides its multi-layered lyrics, which I may very well be misinterpreting, it's also brilliantly produced - techno-pop, but not of the cheap, faceless, Chainsmokers-esque variety. 8.8/10
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby biscuits » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:39 pm

Human Nature and Take a Bow <3
biscuits
The Diva

Postby BodyShop » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:19 am

I love them all BAR Devil Pray .
Where's the party is such a fun son. I don't get the dislike it gets from fans. Here in Brazil it's still played from time to time despite never being a single.
Human Nature is a great response to the huge bachlash she went through because of Erotica. She obviouly played the game,toned down her image,came back with an unimaginable album,etc . But i love that she makes it clear that she had :'Absolutely NO Regrets" !
Take a Bow I've loved since the very first listen when I was 15 and bought Bedtime Stories on its release day I remember playing it again and again endlessly . I was through the rough excited when i found out it was the second single and radios devoured it. She looks incredibly beautiful and sexy on the video. Over 2 decades later ,and my opinion on it hasn't changed an inch .Again,never understood the hate it gets from fellow fans.
Causing a Commotion is another song that never gets old to me . i play it regularly while working out. Pure fire. "I got the moves baby/you got the motion/if we get together we'd be causing a commotion" ugh! What a punch! So simple yet so effective ! Both of its live performances are equally great but the one on the Who's That Girl World Tour still is my favorite. Madonna never was so energetic on stage . Amazing !
Devil Pray is meh ! Meh,meh,meh ! Very good lyrics but the final result as a song is just that :MEH ! Same for its live performance on the Rebel Heart Tour :MEH ! Nothing can save it for me. Next>>>>
BodyShop
Manager

Postby Erotica » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:07 am

Human Nature is a great song. Also really like Causing a commotion
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Benny » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:05 pm

'Human Nature' is good though a bit high, 'Take A Bow' is beautiful. Both have great music videos.
Benny
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:38 pm

WTF, I was checking the countdown and all the songs left early. :o :lol:
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:24 pm

JSparksFan wrote:030. Girl Gone Wild

I loved the camp flamboyancy of Girl gone wild more than i did Give me all your luvin' although the latter was still quite good.

JSparksFan wrote:028. Material Girl

One of Madonna's (many :P ) signature songs from the 80s. This is perfect pop music and i adore the glossiness of the music video and its ode to Marilyn Monroe.

JSparksFan wrote:027. Lucky Star

I don't mind Lucky star but its not one of my absolute fave Madonna tracks.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:31 pm

JSparksFan wrote:023. Take a Bow

This was so underrated here in the UK considering just how successful the song was in America. Iirc this got lost in the rush to christmas as most people were buying the christmas/novelty singles leaving Madonna stuck low down the chart. It's a gorgeous song, i also prefer this to You'll see although both are great songs.

JSparksFan wrote:021. Devil Pray

Not one of the best performing songs from Rebel heart but it did enjoy a second week spike which helped the song peak at #7 in my chart. As for Causing a commotion i've always regarded that song as a non event and quite underwhelming. :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:33 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Explaining one unknown with another? That's not helpful, Paul. :lol:
:lol: Silly me. You might've heard/seen the video for "Seven Nation Army." I'm certainly no expert on their catalog, but I feel like that was their "signature hit"/biggest pop culture moment (beyond their usual fanbase.)

JSparksFan wrote:Stretch away! I don't mind. 8-)
Intentional bumfun reference? ;)

JSparksFan wrote:You really must give it a proper visit one of these days. I can't wait to go back.
Perhaps if I had a chance of running into you...

JSparksFan wrote:Sure, that might work. :lol:
"'4 MINUTES' FOR NO. 20!" "LAP FOR NO. 1!!"

JSparksFan wrote:It's titled "Pray for Spanish Eyes" in some editions of the CD, too, I believe.
Yeah, that one's an interesting case. I didn't mean to be a Nitpick Nazi (just shortened it in my post for efficiency's sake, considering how long-winded my posts already are), but your response inspired me to pull my CD off the shelves and check. Interestingly, it's listed as "Spanish Eyes" on both the back cover and the CD itself, but within the booklet it's always printed as "Pray For Spanish Eyes." The longer title is used on the iTunes Store too. Makes me wonder how it appeared on the original vinyl pressings.

JSparksFan wrote:The cool thing about Madonna's discography is that she seems to have a fair few fun, 'light' tracks in her discography that really resonate with fans. I think we've been in a bit of disagreement over which of those are keepers versus skippers ("Into the Groove" and now this).
We really have :cry: But thankfully your next batch fixes that a bit...

JSparksFan wrote:Perhaps even moreso today.
Amen.

JSparksFan wrote:
phoenix98 wrote:• "Material Girl" is such a fun escapist/roleplay moment. Although I don't actually aspire to be so shallow, Madonna makes that lifestyle into a really enjoyable ride for 4 minutes or so.
As for that "4 Minutes" mention, I thought we were proclaiming death to that atrocity. :lol:
:lol: Ever so clever!

• Well...I guess not everything in this batch fixes our "light" track misalignment :lol: Like LMTWGR, "Where's The Party" has always been among my most-skipped TB tracks. I'd definitely swap its position with some of the frothier 80's offerings you ditched down below (**cough** ITG **cough**) That said, I can see how this track would have extra emphasis for those in their 20's entering/adjusting/coping with the full-time working world. Actually, now that I'm reading through the lyrics, that makes a LOT of sense, and definitely strikes a chord with me too: "couldn't wait to get older, thought I'd have so much fun, guess I'm one of the grown-ups, now I have to get the job done...."
• "Human Nature" is brilliant for all the reasons you mentioned, and such a critical moment on Bedtime Stories, making it very clear that although she was generally softening her sound and image, that shift was NOT to be misconstrued as an apology for Erotica, or an attempt to sweep that era under the rug. Making this a single (with another of her most iconic videos) really drove that point home. "Express yourself, don't repress yourself" has to be among her all-time-best song quotes.
• Does this mean "Take A Bow" will be on your wedding reception playlist? Granted, it might not be the best choice lyrically. I've mentioned over in your daily chart before how I've come to slightly prefer the "Silky Soul Mix" (possibly just because I'd already heard the original so many times), but the album version is still plenty gorgeous all on its own.
• Now THIS is the long-awaited light-track-sychcronicity I was talking about :D Your assessment of the verses is SO on point, too! I didn't know this until recently, but apparently this (like "Till Death Do Us Part") is another surprisingly bubbly number inspired by her tumultuous relationship with Sean Penn.
• Lord. You just HAD to shoehorn a Chainsmokers dig into a Madonna Tribute :roll: :lol: I was already fairly indifferent toward "Devil Pray", and now you've gone and soured me even more. SMH.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:52 pm

biscuits wrote:Human Nature and Take a Bow <3
Bedtime Stories lover? :wink:

BodyShop wrote:I love them all BAR Devil Pray .
Where's the party is such a fun son. I don't get the dislike it gets from fans. Here in Brazil it's still played from time to time despite never being a single.
Human Nature is a great response to the huge bachlash she went through because of Erotica. She obviouly played the game,toned down her image,came back with an unimaginable album,etc . But i love that she makes it clear that she had :'Absolutely NO Regrets" !
Take a Bow I've loved since the very first listen when I was 15 and bought Bedtime Stories on its release day I remember playing it again and again endlessly . I was through the rough excited when i found out it was the second single and radios devoured it. She looks incredibly beautiful and sexy on the video. Over 2 decades later ,and my opinion on it hasn't changed an inch .Again,never understood the hate it gets from fellow fans.
Causing a Commotion is another song that never gets old to me . i play it regularly while working out. Pure fire. "I got the moves baby/you got the motion/if we get together we'd be causing a commotion" ugh! What a punch! So simple yet so effective ! Both of its live performances are equally great but the one on the Who's That Girl World Tour still is my favorite. Madonna never was so energetic on stage . Amazing !
Devil Pray is meh ! Meh,meh,meh ! Very good lyrics but the final result as a song is just that :MEH ! Same for its live performance on the Rebel Heart Tour :MEH ! Nothing can save it for me. Next>>>>
That "Causing a Commotion" hook is simple, but brilliant indeed! I, too, think that Madonna looks beautiful in the "Take a Bow" video. It's one of my favourite looks from her, in fact.

Aw, I think "Devil Pray" is pretty special. If I remember correctly, it seemed to be the most loved of the six leaked tracks.

Erotica wrote:Human Nature is a great song. Also really like Causing a commotion
Good that you appreciate those two! :)

Benny wrote:'Human Nature' is good though a bit high, 'Take A Bow' is beautiful. Both have great music videos.
I'm not that crazy about the "Human Nature" video, but I do agree with on the "Take a Bow" clip.

MrLeonix wrote:WTF, I was checking the countdown and all the songs left early. :o :lol:
Yeah, there were some controversial early exits. :lol:

JakeP wrote:I loved the camp flamboyancy of Girl gone wild more than i did Give me all your luvin' although the latter was still quite good.
I prefer camp flamboyancy in high doses, and "Give Me All Your Luvin'" is a pretty high dosage level for me! 8-)

JakeP wrote:One of Madonna's (many :P ) signature songs from the 80s. This is perfect pop music and i adore the glossiness of the music video and its ode to Marilyn Monroe.
Marilyn was probably the ultimate Material Girl.

JakeP wrote:I don't mind Lucky star but its not one of my absolute fave Madonna tracks.
She's had finer tracks for sure, and that one is, I must admit, a bit...high.

JakeP wrote:This was so underrated here in the UK considering just how successful the song was in America. Iirc this got lost in the rush to christmas as most people were buying the christmas/novelty singles leaving Madonna stuck low down the chart. It's a gorgeous song, i also prefer this to You'll see although both are great songs.
Well, that's fair. "Take a Bow" definitely works more for early autumn (September) than Christmas.

JakeP wrote:Not one of the best performing songs from Rebel heart but it did enjoy a second week spike which helped the song peak at #7 in my chart. As for Causing a commotion i've always regarded that song as a non event and quite underwhelming. :(
I think early on, I might have preferred "Devil Pray" to "Ghosttown," but that was remedied quickly.

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: Silly me. You might've heard/seen the video for "Seven Nation Army." I'm certainly no expert on their catalog, but I feel like that was their "signature hit"/biggest pop culture moment (beyond their usual fanbase.)
Haven't seen the video before, but just listened to the song. The electric guitar was unnecessarily noisy, but it's not the worst song of its kind I've heard.

phoenix98 wrote:Intentional bumfun reference? ;)
An unintended one, I promise. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Perhaps if I had a chance of running into you...
:wink:

phoenix98 wrote: "'4 MINUTES' FOR NO. 20!" "LAP FOR NO. 1!!"
Would you stop following the countdown if the opposite were to happen? :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, that one's an interesting case. I didn't mean to be a Nitpick Nazi (just shortened it in my post for efficiency's sake, considering how long-winded my posts already are), but your response inspired me to pull my CD off the shelves and check. Interestingly, it's listed as "Spanish Eyes" on both the back cover and the CD itself, but within the booklet it's always printed as "Pray For Spanish Eyes." The longer title is used on the iTunes Store too. Makes me wonder how it appeared on the original vinyl pressings.
Spotify uses the longer title, too.

phoenix98 wrote:We really have :cry: But thankfully your next batch fixes that a bit...
"Causing a Commotion" not living up to its title? :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• Well...I guess not everything in this batch fixes our "light" track misalignment :lol: Like LMTWGR, "Where's The Party" has always been among my most-skipped TB tracks. I'd definitely swap its position with some of the frothier 80's offerings you ditched down below (**cough** ITG **cough**) That said, I can see how this track would have extra emphasis for those in their 20's entering/adjusting/coping with the full-time working world. Actually, now that I'm reading through the lyrics, that makes a LOT of sense, and definitely strikes a chord with me too: "couldn't wait to get older, thought I'd have so much fun, guess I'm one of the grown-ups, now I have to get the job done...."
Every. Damn. Day. :cry:

phoenix98 wrote:• "Human Nature" is brilliant for all the reasons you mentioned, and such a critical moment on Bedtime Stories, making it very clear that although she was generally softening her sound and image, that shift was NOT to be misconstrued as an apology for Erotica, or an attempt to sweep that era under the rug. Making this a single (with another of her most iconic videos) really drove that point home. "Express yourself, don't repress yourself" has to be among her all-time-best song quotes.
She does have another song that tells me to do essentially the same thing, which I prefer.

phoenix98 wrote:
phoenix98 wrote:Does this mean "Take A Bow" will be on your wedding reception playlist? Granted, it might not be the best choice lyrically. I've mentioned over in your daily chart before how I've come to slightly prefer the "Silky Soul Mix" (possibly just because I'd already heard the original so many times), but the album version is still plenty gorgeous all on its own.
It would make the cut. The Silky Soul Mix robs the song of some of its tenderness, which I hold dear, but it's not awful.

phoenix98 wrote:• Now THIS is the long-awaited light-track-sychcronicity I was talking about :D Your assessment of the verses is SO on point, too! I didn't know this until recently, but apparently this (like "Till Death Do Us Part") is another surprisingly bubbly number inspired by her tumultuous relationship with Sean Penn.
Early on, I figured this might be one of the high ranking songs you wouldn't give a rat's arse about. Good to know I was wrong! 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:• Lord. You just HAD to shoehorn a Chainsmokers dig into a Madonna Tribute :roll: :lol: I was already fairly indifferent toward "Devil Pray", and now you've gone and soured me even more. SMH.
I'd to remiss to abandon an opportunity to lambaste their mediocrity. :lol:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:41 am

020. Joan of Arc

This mid-tempo pop ballad marks Madonna's most fragile moment on Rebel Heart, where she admits, for the first time through song (by my estimation anyway), her mortality. The fact that she rebukes the Joan of Arc moniker shows that she's well aware of the ability to self-implode, and has no plans for that level of sacrifice to be a part of her story. My favourite lyric is, I can't be a superhero right now, even hearts of steel can break down, which shows that even super hearts need time to rest, recharge, and heal. Sometimes we lean so heavily on our heroes, we sometimes neglect to ask them if they need a shoulder to cry on, too. 9/10
019. True Blue

This song reeks of blind, youthful optimism, and that kind of doe-eyed perspective, matched with an almost fairytale-like narrative, makes it really appealing to me. The instrumental is this gentle, summer breeze of a cloud nine that just pushes the naiveté along. 9/10
018. Miles Away

Over a bubblegum pop/R&B backdrop, Madonna coos about how a relationship seems to function better when the two parties are 6,000 miles apart. This is one of her best produced songs ever, and the chorus is the third most memorable Hard Candy moment. 9.2/10
017. Who's That Girl

Madonna released this Latin-flavoured number right after "La Isla Bonita" as the second half to an extended courtship with the Hispanic community. Honestly, the Quién es esa niña? hook is far more seductive than anything on "La Isla Bonita". So many times when English-speaking singers try to incorporate foreign languages into their music, it comes off as cheap and uninspired, but this feels like a general tribute to a community than shameless exploitation. It doesn't hurt that it's also as irresistible as chocolate. 9.2/10
016. Holiday

The highest ranking song from Madonna, "Holiday" takes me back to 2004, when my family and I took a summer trip to Guyana, and, for one reason or another, I kept hearing this whenever we went out. (At the time, I thought it was Cyndi Lauper, the "True Colours" lady, as I'd dubbed her.) Even without the nostalgia points, this song is a high-scorer all 'round. It has such an unabashed energy within it. As saleswoman for a day off, Madonna makes a convincing case: Just one day out of life, it would be so nice! It's hard for me to listen to this and not want to immediately go on vacation, and it always takes me back to that summer, which is one of the happiest summers I remember. It actually marks my first Madonna moment, though I didn't know at the time it was a Madonna moment. 9.2/10
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:34 am

'Joan of Arc' is absolutely fantastic, don't know why it wasn't released as a single. It's my favourite album track of hers ever.
The other four are all good/ okay.
Benny
Legend

Postby biscuits » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:46 am

'Who's That Girl' is so underrated, despite being a trans-Atlantic #1 single. It's often forgotten or degraded because people think there are other songs which should hold such a prestigious chart achievement. I love the positive vibe and infectious melody of it. It was the song I was most looking forward to seeing on the 'Rebel Heart' tour but she skipped it on my date in Tokyo :cry:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Carbon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:10 am

Joan of Arc is great, Miles Away very breezy and light!
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby MusicLover88 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Who's That Girl has grown on me recently, it really is lovely.

I'm sick of Holiday due to it being overplayed so much on her tours :lol:

True Blue is nice but quite high.

Joan of Arc and Miles Away are both fantastic. Joan of Arc was the instant highlight to me when I first played RH and I still adore it.
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby Erotica » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Miles away is great. It deserved so much more success
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby BodyShop » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Joan of Arc is one of my absolute faves on RH. She sounds so vulnerable and honest ,something that is not common . i actually think it's the first time she admits weakness over media attacks and suff.
True Blue is a guilty pleasure. I love it. Another song that divides her fans ,some love it and others hate it. My favorites lines are "Noooo more sadness /I kiss it goodbye/ The sun is bursting right out if the sky/ I've searched the whole world for someone like you? / Don't you know,Don't you know that it's. .. True love ?" 8-) It never gets old!
Ironically, Miles Away cimes next in this countdow,as it's the opposite of True Blue lol. "All my dreams ,they fade away,I'll never be the same ". Another honest song in which she admits the failure of her marriage. One of Hard Candy's highlights without a doubt.
Who's That Girl is fun ! A song I never get bored of . When she sings the first lines alone ,you know something good would come next :"when you see her ,say a prayer and kiss tour heart goodbye" :D
Another oldie that I still listen to regularly.
Holiday is,maybe,her ultimate classic but I'm not a big fan of it at all. I admit it has grown on me over the years.
BodyShop
Manager

Postby MusicLover88 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:41 pm

Update? :)
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys. :D

Benny wrote:'Joan of Arc' is absolutely fantastic, don't know why it wasn't released as a single. It's my favourite album track of hers ever. The other four are all good/ okay.
Wow, that's a big honour! :o

biscuits wrote:'Who's That Girl' is so underrated, despite being a trans-Atlantic #1 single. It's often forgotten or degraded because people think there are other songs which should hold such a prestigious chart achievement. I love the positive vibe and infectious melody of it. It was the song I was most looking forward to seeing on the 'Rebel Heart' tour but she skipped it on my date in Tokyo :cry:
That's what draws me to the song, too. Sorry to hear she bailed on performing it live for you. :(

Carbon wrote:Joan of Arc is great, Miles Away very breezy and light!
Glad you like those two! 8-)

MusicLover88 wrote:Who's That Girl has grown on me recently, it really is lovely.

I'm sick of Holiday due to it being overplayed so much on her tours :lol:

True Blue is nice but quite high.

Joan of Arc and Miles Away are both fantastic. Joan of Arc was the instant highlight to me when I first played RH and I still adore it.
Well, I think that's only fair. It's the song that perhaps best represents her debut era.

Erotica wrote:Miles away is great. It deserved so much more success
It really did. It sounds like a chart-topper to me.

BodyShop wrote:Joan of Arc is one of my absolute faves on RH. She sounds so vulnerable and honest ,something that is not common . i actually think it's the first time she admits weakness over media attacks and suff.
True Blue is a guilty pleasure. I love it. Another song that divides her fans ,some love it and others hate it. My favorites lines are "Noooo more sadness /I kiss it goodbye/ The sun is bursting right out if the sky/ I've searched the whole world for someone like you? / Don't you know,Don't you know that it's. .. True love ?" 8-) It never gets old!
Ironically, Miles Away cimes next in this countdow,as it's the opposite of True Blue lol. "All my dreams ,they fade away,I'll never be the same ". Another honest song in which she admits the failure of her marriage. One of Hard Candy's highlights without a doubt.
Who's That Girl is fun ! A song I never get bored of . When she sings the first lines alone ,you know something good would come next :"when you see her ,say a prayer and kiss tour heart goodbye" :D
Another oldie that I still listen to regularly.
Holiday is,maybe,her ultimate classic but I'm not a big fan of it at all. I admit it has grown on me over the years.
Yeah, "True Blue" is ageless. The Spanish lyrics make "Who's That Girl" for me; they add so much to the song's charm.

MusicLover88 wrote:Update? :)
I really am taking forever with this, aren't I? Let's see if I can finish this by Sunday. 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:23 am

015. 4 Minutes

This was my introduction to Madonna - the ever-powerful, world renowned 'Queen of Pop' - and I must admit that after listening to "4 Minutes," I bought into Madonna's 'hype'. A lot of this song's greatness is attributed to Timbaland's and Danja's work on the production end of things. It is unashamedly dance-pop, but there are hints of R&B and crunk in the background that really make this song something unlike any other I've heard. The whole thing feels very grand and worthy of someone of Madonna's stature; Timbaland's intro is such an exciting prelude to the main course. JT's presence here is merely ornamental; any other pop male would have fit the role of Madonna's partner on this song, but, despite my personal reservations regarding him, he does fulfill his ornamental role well, reminding us every few seconds that it is actually Madonna we're listening to. Overall, this is one of the few times where style outshines substance for Madonna, and I love the finished product. (The road to hell is paved with good intentions is a great lyrical moment for me, though.) 9.3/10
014. Nothing Fails

This song goes from strong to ethereal with that choir-led chorus at the end. For me, it's very reminiscent of "Like a Prayer" and the I'm not religious, but I feel so moved, makes me want to pray is such a powerful lyric to be reintroduced as the climax. This is the top American Life track, as it epitomises everything that's great about the album - an understated, alternative-leaning pop sound, with lyrics written from a wounded, but not entirely broken, soul. 9.5/10
013. Sorry

Madonna is a brilliant songwriter, and in her best songs you find so many different shades of her wit. To open "Sorry" with the French, Spanish, Dutch, and Italian translations of the apology is an idea that your average songwriter would not have been able to conjure, but it's on that fantastic note that "Sorry" starts. It's not long before we're led into the pop chorus, sleek with fabulous synths, and one of the catchiest hooks in Madonna's catalogue. Then for all the linguists who thought she was done exploring the global pamphlet of languages, the bridge provides the Japanese, Hindi, Polish, and Hebrew translations of "I'm sorry"/"Forgive me". It's all so well done, and is a fantastic way of reflecting just how done Madonna is with this guy, who's taken advantage of her affections, trust, and love. This is basically a middle-finger-up to the guy, a symbol that translates wordlessly across as many languages and cultures as Madonna touches on with this song. Before I became a Madonna fan, I loved this song, and even after exploring her discography in its entirety, this has held up as one of her best songs ever. 9.5/10
012. Jump

As someone who's 18 months away from what may be a permanent relocation, "Jump" so succinctly captures how I feel about my ability to survive in a new environment, and my determination to take a risk with something that could result in the realisation of my dreams. The I can make it alone chant at the end of verse three is an anthem of independence that I've been putting on repeat as a self-reminder that the strength of the human spirit makes it so that we can triumph over even our deepest fears. Even if this song weren't so close to home for me, I'd probably still appreciate it for being so well-produced. 9.5/10
011. Love Tried to Welcome Me

The highest ranking song from Bedtime Stories is this tender, vulnerable, divine album track. There's so much emotion packed into this gem that it's hard not to be affected by it. Madonna crafts this almost as a confessional poem, where she deems herself unworthy of a brand new, healthy, pure form of love. There are so many lyrical moments that really cut deep for me: And I must confess that I am usually drawn to sadness, and loneliness has never been a stranger to me; And my heart has always been a lonely hunter; Guilty of lust and sin. To come across a song with such raw, unfiltered emotion as this one was surprising, and "Love Tried to Welcome Me" is a big reason I decided to delve further into her discography, and subsequently put this countdown together. This just might be her best written song. 9.8/10
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:29 am

Not really a fan of any of these. I can't believe 4 Minutes was your introduction to Madonna! I was born in 1988, and I knew who Madonna was by around 1991 I think. The first single release I remember vividly is 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina' in late 96, but I have early childhood memories of songs like Papa Don't Preach, True Blue, Material Girl, Like a Prayer and Cherish, among others. I guess it helped that my mom was a big Maddy fan.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby MusicLover88 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:31 am

4 minutes is way too high :lol:

I adore Nothing Fails, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. She sounds amazing on it; it showcases her lower register wonderfully.

Sorry is epic too!
MusicLover88
Manager

Return to Personal Charts