Akini's Tribute to Madonna: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

From which album is my favourite Madonna song lifted?

Madonna
No votes
Like a Virgin
No votes
True Blue
5%
Like a Prayer
37%
Erotica
21%
Bedtime Stories
5%
Ray of Light
21%
Music
No votes
American Life
No votes
Confessions on a Dance Floor
5%
Hard Candy
No votes
MDNA
5%
Rebel Heart
No votes

Total votes : 19

Postby MusicLover88 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:34 am

I'm pretty sure I know what your #1 is and I'm also pretty sure it's not LaP :wink:
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby Benny » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:31 am

Don't like '4 Minutes', it's too high IMO.
'NF', 'Sorry' and 'Jump' are all okay but again 2 high.
Benny
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:43 am

JSparksFan wrote:020. Joan of Arc

Adored this song when i first herd the song when it was one of those iTunes instant grat singles. Shame nothing ever came of this song once the album was released. Could've been pushed as a single as its more accessible and radio friendly.

JSparksFan wrote:019. True Blue

The candy floss of 80s pop and i love it. As we've already discussed here the whole True blue album was an amazing album. Even though i love La isla bonita the most, every single taken from this album was solid gold pop.

JSparksFan wrote:017. Who's That Girl

I don't think i ever really appreciated this song when i first ventured into Madonna's back catalogue. I do love the song much more now after listening to the song more and more over the years.

JSparksFan wrote:016. Holiday

Gosh! 16th? :P For me Holiday will always be one of Madonna's best singles of all time. Everything about this song is perfection. If any song is guaranteed to put a smile on my face and give me life, it's this slice of 80s gold. :D
Last edited by JakeP on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:58 am

JSparksFan wrote:015. 4 Minutes

Wow! :o I mean i do like 4 minutes and it was my favourite song from Hard candy but it's not one of Madonna's most classic songs (it's still good though :wink: :lol: ). I did think at the time that it was more Justin Timberlake and flavour of the year Timbaland who sold this song moreso than Madonna. Ultimately, Timbaland was a bit like the "tropical house" of the 00s in the sense that all the songs he produced in the latter 00s all seemed to sound the same. :lol:

JSparksFan wrote:013. Sorry

Your commentary is absolutely spot on. :D Sorry is such an empowering song, and one of the many highlights from Confessions on a dancefloor. I also love how they appeared on the MTV show Pimp my ride at the time to jazz up the van they used in the filming of the music video. Speaking of which i also loved how the video was a natural continuation of the Hung up video. Shame the theme wasn't continued throughout as the third single Get together ended up with some animated tour footage music video instead. Hmm!!!! :( I wanna go back to 2005 now. :lol: :cry:

JSparksFan wrote:012. Jump

Ohh now this is a bit of a curveball. Personally i don't think Jump is as good a song as Sorry but its still another great track from Confessions... so i'll let you off. :P lol I agree about the lyrics and the message of strength and having the capabilities of trying out new things and not being fearful of the outcome before it's even happened. The most powerful pop songs are always the ones that speak to you.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Erotica » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:27 am

Oh you got introduced very late to Madonna :o well I am not abig fan of 4 Minutes :/

I really love Sorry and Nothing Fails though, Jump is a great song too
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby BodyShop » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Lemme skip everything and focus on LTTWM :lol:
This is my favorite Madonna song (non single) . the lyrics speak right to my heart .
This amazing album track has such a sad and hopeless vibe throughout . :" Instead of Spring it's always winter/ and my heart has always been a lonely hunter" hasn't been topped since. A treasure of a song !
BodyShop
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:44 pm

I am so glad "Sorry" is that high! It's one of my favourite songs!

I didn't expect "4 Minutes" to make the Top 15. It's indeed a great track but it's quite "generic" to some extent if you ask me. I think Madonna can do better. I really enjoy it when the song's being played but I never have the urge to play it on purpose, tbh. I am glad you can put personal reservations regarding artists aside, and enjoy a good song nonetheless, though ;)

I've never undstood the love for "Jump" though. The track ain't bad but it's my least favourite song on "Confessions on a Dancefloor" after "Get Together" (unpopular opinion alert xD)
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby MusicLover88 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:37 pm

I can understand your love for 4 Minutes though. For instance I adore Britney's Hold It Against Me even though it seems to be universally hated by her fans because that was a very special period in my life and I have some good memories associated with it.
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby GetBack » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:01 pm

"4 Minutes" and "Jump" are so high!

"Holiday" would be in my Top 10, that song is one of Madonna's best ever!
GetBack
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:04 pm

didn't think much of Jump when it came out, but recently I've grown to love it
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:29 am

Thanks for the comments, everyone! :D

biscuits wrote:Not really a fan of any of these. I can't believe 4 Minutes was your introduction to Madonna! I was born in 1988, and I knew who Madonna was by around 1991 I think. The first single release I remember vividly is 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina' in late 96, but I have early childhood memories of songs like Papa Don't Preach, True Blue, Material Girl, Like a Prayer and Cherish, among others. I guess it helped that my mom was a big Maddy fan.
I really wasn't a fan of music until 2007 when Jordin Sparks won American Idol. My free time was consumed with books and cartoons before then.

MusicLover88 wrote:4 minutes is way too high :lol:

I adore Nothing Fails, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. She sounds amazing on it; it showcases her lower register wonderfully.

Sorry is epic too!
Glad you like those two! 8-)

MusicLover88 wrote:I'm pretty sure I know what your #1 is and I'm also pretty sure it's not LaP :wink:
Hmm...I think someone voted for Erotica in the poll recently. If that was you, then there are two songs with a fighting chance from that album...and after this batch, there'll only be one. Let's see if you're right. :lol:

Benny wrote:Don't like '4 Minutes', it's too high IMO.
'NF', 'Sorry' and 'Jump' are all okay but again 2 high.
There's at least two songs in this next set that you'll say the same about.

JakeP wrote:Adored this song when i first heard the song when it was one of those iTunes instant grat singles. Shame nothing ever came of this song once the album was released. Could've been pushed as a single as its more accessible and radio friendly.
Yeah, I think it's the kind of song the general public might have actually cared to hear from Madonna.

JakeP wrote:The candy floss of 80s pop and i love it. As we've already discussed here the whole True blue album was an amazing album. Even though i love La isla bonita the most, every single taken from this album was solid gold pop.
Terrific description!

JakeP wrote:I don't think i ever really appreciated this song when i first ventured into Madonna's back catalogue. I do love the song much more now after listening to the song more and more over the years.
You're not the first to say "Who's That Girl" had to work for your adoration; for me, it was an instant hit.

JakeP wrote:Gosh! 16th? :P For me Holiday will always be one of Madonna's best singles of all time. Everything about this song is perfection. If any song is guaranteed to put a smile on my face and give me life, it's this slice of 80s gold. :D
Refreshing to read that someone actually thinks "Holiday" should be higher. :lol:

JakeP wrote:Wow! :o I mean i do like 4 minutes and it was my favourite song from Hard candy but it's not one of Madonna's most classic songs (it's still good though :wink: :lol: ). I did think at the time that it was more Justin Timberlake and flavour of the year Timbaland who sold this song moreso than Madonna. Ultimately, Timbaland was a bit like the "tropical house" of the 00s in the sense that all the songs he produced in the latter 00s all seemed to sound the same. :lol:
I don't think "4 Minutes" sounds like any other song Timbaland's produced, though. I mean, he has a very distinctive sound, and you definitely hear that Timbaland influence in "4 Minutes," but not to the point where it's just a rehash of something he'd done before.

JakeP wrote:Your commentary is absolutely spot on. :D Sorry is such an empowering song, and one of the many highlights from Confessions on a dancefloor. I also love how they appeared on the MTV show Pimp my ride at the time to jazz up the van they used in the filming of the music video. Speaking of which i also loved how the video was a natural continuation of the Hung up video. Shame the theme wasn't continued throughout as the third single Get together ended up with some animated tour footage music video instead. Hmm!!!! :( I wanna go back to 2005 now. :lol: :cry:
"Sorry" has aged really well, too!

JakeP wrote:Ohh now this is a bit of a curveball. Personally i don't think Jump is as good a song as Sorry but its still another great track from Confessions... so i'll let you off. :P lol I agree about the lyrics and the message of strength and having the capabilities of trying out new things and not being fearful of the outcome before it's even happened. The most powerful pop songs are always the ones that speak to you.
Definitely. I think I heard "Jump" for the first time four years ago, and it didn't resonate with me then, but, over the years, it's really become more relevant to me.

Erotica wrote:Oh you got introduced very late to Madonna :o well I am not abig fan of 4 Minutes :/

I really love Sorry and Nothing Fails though, Jump is a great song too
Ah, so much "4 Minutes" hate. I expected it, though. :lol:

BodyShop wrote:Lemme skip everything and focus on LTTWM :lol:
This is my favorite Madonna song (non single) . the lyrics speak right to my heart .
This amazing album track has such a sad and hopeless vibe throughout . :" Instead of Spring it's always winter/ and my heart has always been a lonely hunter" hasn't been topped since. A treasure of a song !
Are the other four that 'mis-ranked'? :lol:

I am so, so happy to read that you love "Love Tried to Welcome Me". There's only one album track of Madonna's that I love more, and that's by a very slim margin.

Mainshow wrote:I am so glad "Sorry" is that high! It's one of my favourite songs!

I didn't expect "4 Minutes" to make the Top 15. It's indeed a great track but it's quite "generic" to some extent if you ask me. I think Madonna can do better. I really enjoy it when the song's being played but I never have the urge to play it on purpose, tbh. I am glad you can put personal reservations regarding artists aside, and enjoy a good song nonetheless, though ;)

I've never undstood the love for "Jump" though. The track ain't bad but it's my least favourite song on "Confessions on a Dancefloor" after "Get Together" (unpopular opinion alert xD)
"Sorry" is really a special moment in her discography.

I actually think "4 Minutes" is one of her least generic songs. Is there a song in her discography that sounds anything like it? I certainly can't think of any.

MusicLover88 wrote:I can understand your love for 4 Minutes though. For instance I adore Britney's Hold It Against Me even though it seems to be universally hated by her fans because that was a very special period in my life and I have some good memories associated with it.
"Hold It Against Me" is actually among my Top 5 favourite songs from Britney. It's a song unlike any she's ever done, and the video is so supremely underrated. That one is also among my Top 5 videos from her.

GetBack wrote:"4 Minutes" and "Jump" are so high!

"Holiday" would be in my Top 10, that song is one of Madonna's best ever!
Pleased to see another "Holiday" fan! 8-)

Carbon wrote:didn't think much of Jump when it came out, but recently I've grown to love it
"Jump" had to grow on me as well!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby BodyShop » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:56 am

JSparksFan wrote:
BodyShop wrote:Lemme skip everything and focus on LTTWM :lol:
Are the other four that 'mis-ranked'? :lol:

I am so, so happy to read that you love "Love Tried to Welcome Me". There's only one album track of Madonna's that I love more, and that's by a very slim margin.

!
I don't find them to be a very big deal. They're ok at best . I do like 4 Minutes and Sorry and my fave is Jump . But, then again... They're ok only :D
BodyShop
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:21 am

010. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

Perhaps the coldest song in Madonna's discography, "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" opens with the deceptive innocence of a music box twinkling before the scene of peace and solitude is quickly enveloped by the dark thorns of evil wrought by the track's antagonist. I love that the song is vague enough to not explicitly state the treachery that leads Madonna to the conclusion expressed in the title of the track, but pieces of the puzzle are fitted in throughout the verses. Even for a break-up song, "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" is icy, and I think it's the unforgiving message in the chorus that aggrandises my love for the song. This is the highest ranking Hard Candy track. 10/10
009. Rain

From Madonna's most scornful song to her most therapeutic, "Rain" is a song that entrances me in a way that few songs do. I remember being at work during one of my more stressful days, and just listening to this for three hours straight. Its melody is so soothing, I almost didn't pick up on the fact that this is actually about an orgasm. Even so, it's a very romantic, vulnerable expression of love. It's not the kind of song I would've expected to encounter on an album titled Erotica, but it is unquestionably brilliant, and the sound effects that mimic a rainstorm are a clever touch, really hitting home the theme of the song. 10/10
008. Give Me All Your Luvin'

The highest ranking song from MDNA, I suspect this will be the most controversial ranking among the Top 10 songs, but I don't care. From the first time I heard this song, I knew it was something I'd be playing for years to come. The L-U-V Madonna, Y-O-U, you wanna? chants are juvenile, yes, but charming, and so fitting for an artist, who's prided herself on being pop's ultimate showgirl; it plays on the kind of reception Madonna gets on her legendary concert tours, and perhaps on Madonna's personal desire to continue to be the object of affection for her legion of devoted fans. I do like Nicki's presence on the song, as she adds to the delightful wackiness of the track, but M.I.A. was a pointless addition. Thankfully, she doesn't detract from the quality of the song, a track that I think could've fit even more seamlessly on Madonna's debut record. So, in short, whereas many people might look at this as an example of Madonna's regression, I view it more as a throwback to the silliness and fun that defined some of her earlier singles from the 80s. 10/10
007. Vogue

This just might be the gayest song of all-time, with a video that easily ranks among Madonna's most iconic (fun fact: I really don't care at all for the video). The message in several of Madonna's greatest songs is unfiltered self-expression, and so many of her finest songs are dancefloor-ready anthems, so combining that message with that setting is basically "Vogue" in its simplest terms. Its 70s disco influence, sleek and stylish melody, and shout-outs to some of Hollywood's most iconic figures make the song particularly outstanding in Madonna's catalogue, and, quite predictably, it's the highest ranking track from I'm Breathless. (I'll never understand how she and her team thought "Vogue" fit on that album.) 10/10
006. Express Yourself

Perhaps Madonna's finest female empowerment anthem, "Express Yourself" urges young girls and women not to settle for second best, and though the context of the lyrics centre around a relationship, it's not hard to extrapolate that to every part of a woman's life. Although the issue of gender inequality was far worse in the 80s than it is now, there are still so many messages in society that encourage women to subvert their own desires, dreams, and ambitions to support their husbands, kids, and extended families, and to seek power through aligning themselves with powerful men, rather than aiming to be powerful in their own right. I feel like "Express Yourself" aims to give a voice to women in all facets of life, and it feels so right that it's Madonna that dispatches this message, as she's pretty much embodied the image of a successful, independent women for most of her 30-plus-year career, and she's also survived some of the ugliest forms of sexism throughout each stage of her career. 10/10
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby MusicLover88 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:59 am

A great batch here...love Rain, Devil & of course, Vogue.

Gimme All Your Luvin'....lord, you're gonna get a lot of crap for that one :lol: I actually don't hate it as much as some do, I'd even say I like it. It's high but she's had much worse.

And no, I think your #1 is from a certain 80s album of hers ;) And I was the only one to vote for that album ;)
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby Erotica » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:03 am

I think two of my favourite Madonna songs are still to come :o or I forgot about them :lol:

I love all from the top 10 you posted so far exceot Give me all your luvin, for me a sweet song but nothing more.
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:24 am

GAYL 10/10? No comment
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Benny » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:38 am

'Rain' is beautiful, both the song and the video.
'GMAYL' on the other hand would be like 200 places lower in my countdown. :lol:
'Vogue' is one of her most iconic songs ever.
'Express Yourself' is ok but overrated IMO.
Benny
Legend

Postby BodyShop » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:55 pm

Wow,surprising (and great) choices here :D.
You're so right about Devil ! It's a cold and hopeless song . Love the lyrics "even the DEVIL wouldn't recognize you" is an awesome description to show how can one change and play games to the point not even the master of disguise could catch them . Awesome song.
Rain is probably my favorite ballad single (along with Playground).
She sounds so emotional and talks about love from a different point of view . The video is stunning!
GMAYL is something i cant even find the right words to.describe. I've been a fan for 24 years and enjoyed Madonna's songs way before that cause my Mom was a fan before that so, Madonna's been in my life ever since i can remember,basically.
With that said, GMAYL is the only time she truly disappointed me . I simply couldn't believe my ears when i first listened to it . I remember the song leaking months in advance and i thought :"Thank God that's only an unfinished version !" .What did I know,right ? :lol:
It's awful,embarrassing, cringeworthy . Lemme be dramatic here and say that i felt like she betrayed me lol she simply couldn't have released such atrocity . Not even as an album track,let alone A LEAD SINGLE .Lemme shut up and move on now. This one belongs at the deep bottom of her songs.
Vogue is one of my absolute faves . A song I could easily listen to for the rest of my days and would never get bored of. All of its live performances are treasure gold,the video is a masterpiece, the dance is iconic, the beat is fantastic,the message is great ,I mean:what's not to love ????
You can make a rank out of its live performances alone and that would be a tough task in itself as she managed to create so many incredible versions for an already fabulous song. Top 5 for me .
PS :her entrance on the Superbowl alone>>>>entire careers :wink:
Express Yourself is another top favorite and would probably rank in my top 15. The "Don't go for second best,baby" line has become my motto in life ! Whenever i feel like someone or something is not going the way it was supposed to, i stop, think about it and question myself :"am i going for second best?" If the answer is yes,i change whatever is needed . I'm not even kidding here lol
I think this just gives an idea about the power of Madonna and the amount of things i've learned/taken from her and her songs :wink:
BodyShop
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:41 am

Thanks for the comments, guys. :D

MusicLover88 wrote:A great batch here...love Rain, Devil & of course, Vogue.

Gimme All Your Luvin'....lord, you're gonna get a lot of crap for that one :lol: I actually don't hate it as much as some do, I'd even say I like it. It's high but she's had much worse.

And no, I think your #1 is from a certain 80s album of hers ;) And I was the only one to vote for that album ;)
I've been looking forward to reading the reactions to that ranking for a while. :lol:

Ah, I know which song you're talking about now. Four years ago, it would have been #1 here indeed. Let's see if anything's changed since then.

Erotica wrote:I think two of my favourite Madonna songs are still to come :o or I forgot about them :lol:

I love all from the top 10 you posted so far exceot Give me all your luvin, for me a sweet song but nothing more.
I think they're still to come. :wink:

biscuits wrote:GAYL 10/10? No comment
10 points too many? :lol:

Benny wrote:'Rain' is beautiful, both the song and the video.
'GMAYL' on the other hand would be like 200 places lower in my countdown. :lol:
'Vogue' is one of her most iconic songs ever.
'Express Yourself' is ok but overrated IMO.
Glad you like "Rain" and "Vogue"! 8-)

So it'd basically be dead last? :lol:

BodyShop wrote:Wow,surprising (and great) choices here :D.
You're so right about Devil ! It's a cold and hopeless song . Love the lyrics "even the DEVIL wouldn't recognize you" is an awesome description to show how can one change and play games to the point not even the master of disguise could catch them . Awesome song.
Rain is probably my favorite ballad single (along with Playground).
She sounds so emotional and talks about love from a different point of view . The video is stunning!
GMAYL is something i cant even find the right words to.describe. I've been a fan for 24 years and enjoyed Madonna's songs way before that cause my Mom was a fan before that so, Madonna's been in my life ever since i can remember,basically.
With that said, GMAYL is the only time she truly disappointed me . I simply couldn't believe my ears when i first listened to it . I remember the song leaking months in advance and i thought :"Thank God that's only an unfinished version !" .What did I know,right ? :lol:
It's awful,embarrassing, cringeworthy . Lemme be dramatic here and say that i felt like she betrayed me lol she simply couldn't have released such atrocity . Not even as an album track,let alone A LEAD SINGLE .Lemme shut up and move on now. This one belongs at the deep bottom of her songs.
Vogue is one of my absolute faves . A song I could easily listen to for the rest of my days and would never get bored of. All of its live performances are treasure gold,the video is a masterpiece, the dance is iconic, the beat is fantastic,the message is great ,I mean:what's not to love ????
You can make a rank out of its live performances alone and that would be a tough task in itself as she managed to create so many incredible versions for an already fabulous song. Top 5 for me .
PS :her entrance on the Superbowl alone>>>>entire careers :wink:
Express Yourself is another top favorite and would probably rank in my top 15. The "Don't go for second best,baby" line has become my motto in life ! Whenever i feel like someone or something is not going the way it was supposed to, i stop, think about it and question myself :"am i going for second best?" If the answer is yes,i change whatever is needed . I'm not even kidding here lol
I think this just gives an idea about the power of Madonna and the amount of things i've learned/taken from her and her songs
:wink:
Looks like you found the words to describe "Give Me All Your Luvin'" in the end. :lol:

I am happy to read your thoughts on "Rain", "Vogue", and "Express Yourself," though. It's cool that "Express Yourself" has become your personal motto; I think I'd always believed in its message, even before I knew it existed.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 am

Albums Intermission

We're in the closing stages of this tribute, but just before we get to my five favourite Madonna songs, let's take a look at how I'd rank her 13 studio albums, and the Evita and I'm Breathless soundtracks. I've said more than enough about the tracks from these LPs, so this will be a write-up-free section.

15. Music - 6.35/10

14. Ray of Light - 7.22/10

13. Rebel Heart - 7.43/10

12. MDNA - 7.46/10

11. Like a Virgin - 7.56/10

10. I'm Breathless - 7.57/10

09. Evita - 7.6/10

08. Confessions on a Dance Floor - 7.73/10

07. American Life - 7.8/10

06. Hard Candy - 7.98/10

05. Madonna - 8.03/10

04. Erotica - 8.06/10

03. Like a Prayer - 8.09/10

02. Bedtime Stories - 8.21/10

01. True Blue - 8.44/10

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby MusicLover88 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:08 am

So it's between Like a Prayer, Hung Up, Papa Don't Preach, Ghosttown and...?
Last edited by MusicLover88 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:03 pm

JSparksFan wrote:010. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

I never did buy Hard candy so i've never heard this track before. Gave it a listen on YouTube and...well, 4 minutes remains my favourite song i know from the album. :lol: I don't mind Devil wouldn't recognise you but for me its far from sounding like a classic Madonna song, and i can see why it wasn't chosen as a single. Sorry Akini. :cry:

JSparksFan wrote:009. Rain

Aww, i quite like Rain although again its not really considered one of her signature tracks. This is more of an underrated gem but when it comes to Madonna ballads, i do prefer some of her others more.

JSparksFan wrote:008. Give Me All Your Luvin'

Ok, i'm gonna stand by Akini on this one. Haters shoo!!! :lol: Yes, i don't think its an amazing masterpiece but ultimately i don't think its anywhere near as terrible as so many people make it out to be. Personally, i think fans just expected Madonna to always deliver with each new lead single to kickstart the next era and this was ill received. Just a shame it wasn't called Gimme all your luvin' as G.a.y. luvin' would've been a fabulous acronym. :lol:

JSparksFan wrote:007. Vogue

...speaking of fabulous, darling! :P Vogue really is the crème de la crème of homoerotic pop gorgeousness! Yes, i'm a big fan of this song, easily one of my favourite Madonna singles and would easily be in my top 10 as well. I love the music video, it visual element is the perfect accompaniment to the song. A very clever concept and one that was executed amazingly well. :D

JSparksFan wrote:006. Express Yourself

How do you follow up the mighty Like a prayer? When the lead single is as culturally groundbreaking as that song was, releasing Express yourself as the follow up was an excellent choice. I don't know who produced Madonna's songs in the 80s but i loved that club dance vibe you get from songs such as this and also heard in Open your heart. It just gives the song a real boost and sells the song tremendously. As for the song itself, its another of those original girl power songs and let's be honest there weren't exactly many other female artists around at the time who could pull this type of song off. Maybe Cyndi Lauper? Love this song although i do prefer Vogue more.

Looking forward to seeing how the top 5 pans out. Am i allowed to say which song i don't think will be your #1 (because it's too predictable? :wink: :P ).
JakeP
Manager

Postby BodyShop » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Like i say ,it's always interesting to share opinions about such a diverse discography as Madonna's.

For example ,to my taste, nothing would EVER rank lower than MDNA as it is ,by all means ,her worst record with a handful of her worst ,most uninspired and generic songs to date .
It's clear she only made that album due to contract obligations and how she wasn't into it at all ,for several reasons -the most important one being how long it took her to finish W.E. and still being involved in the final stages of the editing process + promotion.
It's mindblowing to think a perfectionist like Madonna would record a full studio album in aroud 2 weeks. That alone gives an idea of how half-assed MDNA was.
But let me stop being such a bitchy bitter Queen and move on :lol:

Bedtime Stories is an interesting case for me.
I love basically all of the songs on it and my favorite Madonna song is in that album as well but for some weird reason,I dont rank it as one of my faves albums.
I feel like you go track after track thinking "that one's cool ,lemme check the next one", then the next one comes and you keep waiiting for that climax to happen ,but it doesn't.
I feel like it's an album that keeps you on the edge of your seat waiting for that magical moment ,but it doesn't come lol

Music is fantastic and unique . American Life is an album that took me years to learn how to appreciate,but I do now.

Ray of Light is a masterpiece and deserving of all the praise it gets. Same for Like A Prayer . When Rolling Stone wrote it's the closest thing pop would ever come to quality, they knew what they were talking about ;)

The first three albums work ,for me ,as a crescendo. It's clear hiw much she evolved as the years passed and how great of an artist she would still be . That's why it irks me whenever someone says her first album is her best :roll: like,ok..... Next ,please !

Erotica is superb! The variety of subjects she talks about and how sophisticated the sound is on most of the tracks are is amazing . once again,a huge step forward.

Confessions has been a favorite since the very first listen. Future Lovers ranks within my top 20

Hard Candy is ok. Full of bops kind of album. But can't feel anything really deep. It's very cohesive though and not remotely as bad as some try to make it be,although i can understand where do they come from and give them a pass on that.

Rebel Heart is a pretty solid one. I think that had Interscope agreed with Madonna's idea of releasing a double album -one disk called Rebel for the mid/uptempo songs and Heart for the soft songs /ballads - the reception would've been better.
In spite of anything ,even haters seem to agree it's a step into the right direction for her.
Living For Love, Joan of Arc,Veni Vidi Vici,Rebel Heart,Messiah,Beautiful Scars,Borrowed Time,Addicted,are among my favorites of all time. So,that alone must mean something.
BodyShop
Manager

Postby toni_pest » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:32 pm

give me all ya luvin :lol: bye akini.
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm

OK, FINE, I'm back. Curiosity got the best of me and I had to see what craziness was in store for the top 10. I am still not forgiving you for some of your placings though ;)

Anyhow, not sure when I was back here, so just some notes on the top 20:
* Enjoy the love True Blue got - such a great throwback for Madonna and a different style for her (at the time).
* Gosh, I haven't listened to Who's That Girl in forever - seems like that song got lost in the shuffle of her many hits over the years. Maybe I associate this one too much with the goofy movie from which it came to Have to disagree on how it compares to La Isla Bonita, which really does transplant me to the tropics.
*I feel like I'm required to like Holiday because it was her first break-out hit. It's cute and deserves a decentplacement, but it never seems to go anywhere to me. I'd love to sub Burning Up here.
* Sorry/Jump - True standouts on that album and I'm glad they placed so high :)
* Give Me All Your Luvin' - just no, wyd there? The L U V Madonna chants don't scream charming to me, but are immature and out of place. And M.I.A. just shouldn't be a part of this at all. Look, I cheered when it went top 10 after the Super Bowl because it gave Madonna a top ten for this decade (and possibly final top ten ever. :cry: ), but that placement is overrated.
* The list does get redeemed with signature hits Vogue and Express Yourself though. They are both so iconic!

Did the song Supernatural make your list? Guessing not, since I think it was only ever a B side. But it's a regular part of my Halloween mix, so I thought I'd check. :)

As for the albums countdown, I'd say you nailed that, with the exception of Like a Virgin being so low.
Vote for your favorite Christmas songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Return to Personal Charts