Stevyy's The 100 Best Songs Of All Times (2nd edition) #94

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby stevyy » Sat May 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Prelude

Ever since my musical awakening in 1991/1992 I grew closer and closer to music. I immediately knew that Music and Me, we had a special bond and the journey would be long, theatrical and oh so very pleasing. My first music influences after my musical awakening can be summed up by the first 5 musical entities I've ever truly loved: Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Take That and Elton John.

Growing up in a household in which "Schlager" music was the dominant genre, I quickly grew into my own taste. My musical awakening came as a Big Bang to me because my universe has expanded ever since. It is far from completed. But 25 years into my journey, my life has created its own soundtrack and is quickly disovering more genres, sounds and talents. Diversification is a means of the soul to stay connected to the world. Coming from a fairly disconnected place, I feel like I've come to a point in which I can say, I know who I am and music has always been the voice in my head, guiding me to my next checkpoint.

Music transcends time and space. When I listen to music I travel to places I never knew existed. Music can do that when you treat it as something that comes from within and transports more than quick emotions. I want to wallow in it, feel it -deeply, and absorb it, so it can replenish my inner being with the kind of spirituality that only music can give you.

The following 100 songs have done all of this better than any other music in my life. However, due to the culture of music celebrity, I have limited the entries per artist to a maximum of 10. Altho, this should not be understood as a restriction or give away any position that may be attached to certain music artist because I want this countdown to be a true reflection of what I believe to be truly outstanding music. There are songs that mean very much to me, however, not everyone of these songs can be featured here.
Last edited by stevyy on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:12 pm

Excited, I will follow.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat May 06, 2017 11:02 pm

#100 - Sweet Thing - Van Morrison (1968)
Starting off the Top 100 Greatest Songs Of All Times is non other than one of the greatest and most influental folk-rock singers in the history of recorded music, Van Morrison. Sweet Thing is a song I have discovered in the movie "Moonlight Mile" over 15 years ago. The song has stuck with me ever since. The song conveys such a humble, emotive melody that instantly reminds me of the 1960s. It's one those songs that captivate, that make 3 am in the morning the most beautiful time..
#99 - Nights In White Satin - The Moody Blues (1967)
We stay in the second half of the 1960s with a classic that cannot be topped in one department. Moody Blues' evergreen which found a home on all of the 1960s music samplers that have ever been released, must be the most theatrical song ever. You cannot but lipsync to the chorus hypnotically. Its darkness is at the same time the feature that drew me in and kept me craving for more. The song's instrumental break in the middle of the song is one of the most beautiful and haunting moments in music-ever.
Last edited by stevyy on Mon May 15, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
stevyy
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat May 06, 2017 11:15 pm

Wow nice start to the top 100! :D

Van Morrison and the The Moody Blues are great, I particularly love the Moody Blues, this song is lovely but as I am a big fan I have lots of favourites now, Justin Hayward has one of my favourite male voices, if you want any individual song recommendations just let me know although I feel it's always better to discover an artist properly in your own time. Albums to try are the album this song comes from "Days of Future Passed" & "In Search of The Lost Chord" as starters.

You should provide a link to the songs just in case someone is curious to hear a song.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Benny » Tue May 09, 2017 3:20 pm

'Nights In White Satin' is very theatrical indeed, I'm not always in the mood to listen to it but it's a beautiful song.
Benny
Legend

Postby stevyy » Mon May 15, 2017 6:09 pm

#98 - You Only Live Twice - Nancy Sinatra (1967)
At number 98 we have one of the most definitive and recognizable Bond Theme Songs in music history. The song, which was originally sung by the incredible Nancy Sinatra, lived on to be one of the most covered and sampled theme songs of the motion picture era. The string introduction in the song was done to absolute perfection and belongs to the most recognizable moments in contemporary music today. It was re-introduced to music lovers of all ages in various re-interpretations, most notably in Robbie Williams' hit "Millennium" and in a season finale of "Mad Men"
#97 - With A Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker (1968)
(Original Artist: The Beatles)
The late Genius Joe Cocker is the only artist in music history who could make a Beatles classic more outstanding than the original version by the Fab Four themselves. This particular cover version has long eclipsed the original to become the version everyone loves and sings a long to. Thence it was voted the 7th greatest cover-song of all times by a BBC poll in 2014 and found itself inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame no less.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Benny » Wed May 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Not a big fan of the last two songs, sorry! :wink:
Benny
Legend

Postby stevyy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:11 pm

#96 - Eternal Flame - The Bangles (1989)

At number 96 we have one of the greatest girl bands of all times, The Bangles. The group rocked the 1980s with some of the most well known classics (another one still to come in this countdown). Eternal Flame was a major success for the group reaching #1 in the United States, The United Kingdom, Ireland, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland. The still active group which was founded in 1981 released their latest album in 2011.
#95 - Linger - The Cranberries (1993)

As we progress, we hit the newer generations of iconic music. The Cranberries, a group from Ireland, ruled for at least some part of the 1990s and one part of their legacy is this well covered classic, called Linger. The song was a major hit in the United States, peaking at #8. Linger's bitter-sweet nostalgic musical dressing, makes it the perfect go-to-song for heartache for an entire generation of 90's kids.
#94 - Nothing Else Matters - Metallica (1992)

Arguably one of the biggest bands in music history, Metallica were not exactly known for a gentle sound. However, on their self-titled fifth album they released this heavily nostalgic and atmospheric rock ballad which has long become one of the biggest staples in rock music history. The song became a huge hit in Europe, but stalled at #34 in the United States. It has re-entered many international singles-charts numerous times ever since, though.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:15 pm

The first two <3

Don't like Metallica.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby Benny » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:16 pm

'Eternal Flame' is absolutely fantastic! Hope that 'Manic Monday' is still to come.
'Linger' is also nice.
Hate the Metallica song.
Benny
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:30 pm

I love all three songs! Evergreens!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Return to Personal Charts