The Best of Britney Spears: Top 150 - #1 REVEALED!

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby GetBack » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:19 am

By the turn of the new millennium, Britney Spears ruled the world. She controlled the media like no other pop star; her songs, albums, outfits, videos, performances and merchandise were the talk of the town, propelling her to superstar status at a barely legal age. Half a decade into her career, she has shared the stage with the best of the best, the King of Pop (Michael Jackson) and the Queen of Pop (Madonna) no less. At the height of her celebrity status, she had her share of both brutal media frenzy and intense fan appreciation way before the Biebers, the Selenas, the Swifts and the Kardashians we have today. With the immense media popularity taking a toll in her personal life, the whole world watched and awaited what would be next for the Pop Princess.

Nearing her twentieth year in the industry, Britney has successfully managed to survive the shelf life of a mainstream pop star, and has continued to influence and inspire a lot more artists far younger than her. Though Britney the superstar may have taken the back seat as of late as she has placed focus on her personal and private life as a single mother to her children, there's no doubt that her legacy in pop music history is withstanding the test of time, no chart or award validation needed.

This personal chart chronicles 150 of Britney Spears' officially released material.
Last edited by GetBack on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:54 am, edited 36 times in total.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:24 am

Nice! I can't wait to see your Countdown (even though I know that you are stanning for some of the really bad tracks as well :lol: )
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:34 am

Mainshow wrote:Nice! I can't wait to see your Countdown (even though I know that you are stanning for some of the really bad tracks as well :lol: )
Thanks Mainshow! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll start it right now so we can check if the bad tracks made it that high! :oops: :oops: :lol:
GetBack
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:02 am

150. ALIEN
Taken from: Britney Jean

Though this is not one of Britney's worst tracks, this will forever haunt me since it had that annoying glitch that caused controversy. I loved the song at the time it leaked (I'd definitely take the leaked version over this), but every time I hear it, it seems to be marred with the mess that was associated with the Britney Jean project. Let's not forget the vocal warm-up recording which sadly was leaked to the public.

149. GIRLS AND BOYS
Taken from: In the Zone

Interestingly, this In the Zone bonus track is written by 4 Non Blondes' front woman (and Christina Aguilera's favorite songwriter) Linda Perry. It's not a shock that it got cut, I don't think it was anything special considering the other tracks that didn't make the album some of which were even better than other tracks that made the album.

148. THE BEAT GOES ON
Taken from: ...Baby One More Time

I loved this song way back in 1999 when I got the ...Baby One More Time album. After that era, I never listened to it as much. Britney performed this Sonny & Cher cover a lot in her earlier years, I still think a lot of her other uptempos from her debut album should have been given promo treatment over this song.

147. MMM PAPI
Taken from: Circus

Britney's comeback album Circus was one of the most anticipated pop albums in a female-dominated year (Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, Madonna, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Adele, Taylor Swift and Beyoncé have all released big albums earlier in 2008) and the mega-hyped set from Britney seemed to be the year's finale. "Mmm Papi" is arguably filler level at best, I do not understand how this song made it over some bonus tracks which could have been singles (eg. "Phonography", "Quicksand").

146. E-MAIL MY HEART
Taken from: ...Baby One More Time

A song with this cheesy title (with references to the internet age) would only come from this era. It's safe to say that this really marked the start of the Britney bonus track syndrome which is that her bonus tracks ("I'll Never Stop Loving You, "Deep in My Heart", "Autumn Goodbye") are better than some main track list songs such as this one and the above-mentioned "The Beat Goes On".
GetBack
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:48 pm

Mmm Papi is one of the best Circus songs for me, love it

and Alien is a highlight on Britney Jean
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:23 pm

145. IT SHOULD BE EASY (featuring will.i.am)

This was alright when I first heard it, but it's just auto-tuned to the max and there isn't anything special lyrically in this. It was pretty much another way for will.i.am to feature his name on a Britney track. This is one of Britney's musical lows most definitely.

144. MY BABY

"My Baby" may be a cute ballad for her boys, but it's actually misplaced on Circus. It should have been on an EP of some sort (maybe on the special bonus disc of For the Record) or something similar to the Chaotic EP. I think "Someday (I Will Understand)" (an ode to the then-unborn Sean Preston) is by far, stronger than this one.

143. GASOLINE
Taken from: Femme Fatale

This song feels like a bit of "Toxic" in terms of the direction and the production but I felt that it was too cheesy. It sounds like it could have been recorded in between the Oops!... I Did It Again and Britney eras.

142. HEART
Taken from: Oops!... I Did It Again

I felt that this song is similar to the usual songs from disbanded Norweigan duo M2M. I realized that I never really listened to it properly until now. I just noticed the heartbeat sound effect towards the end of the song.

141. BRAVE NEW GIRL
Taken from: In the Zone

I never really liked this song, I skipped it a lot when I would listen to the In the Zone album back in 2003. Written by Kara DioGuardi and frequent Britney collaborators Brian Kierulf and Josh Schwartz, it sounded straight out of the Britney era, I don't know why "I've Just Begun (Having My Fun)" and "Don't Hang Up" (also written by both Kierulf and Schwartz) was cut in favor of this one.
GetBack
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:05 pm

This looks fun :P

"Girls and boys" is too low tho. Easily Top 50 for me.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Biebz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Alien is like of my favourite Britney songs, I can't believe its #150 :lol:
my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:18 pm

The Britney Jean era doesn't have a lot of great moments, but "Alien" is one of them. For me, it's one of her most relatable song. "The Beat Goes On", on the other hand, is truly awful - one of the worst things she's ever done. "Mmm Papi" is sexy, but slightly forgettable. I wouldn't have ranked it that low, but I can understand why you don't care much for it.

"It Should Be Easy" isn't that bad. I actually think it's rather sweet. :P I never liked "My Baby", and I agree that it sounds misplaced on Circus. "Brave New Girl" has some questionable vocal effects, but it's not a bad song overall.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:06 pm

I love Brave New Girl so much <3 Gasoline is very good too

But I hate My baby and It should be easy
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby GetBack » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:06 pm

140. BIG FAT BASS (featuring will.i.am)

As part of the promo for Femme Fatale, Britney performed this song a number of times. Though it somehow felt like it was single-worthy, I'm glad that it did not happen. I used to listen to it a lot in 2011 but I currently rank it as one of the fillers of the album.

139. BODY ACHE

This was one of the first songs I liked when the previews for Britney Jean came out. It turned out to be very underwhelming, not to mention, it was marred with so much controversy especially on the vocals.

138. LACE AND LEATHER

"Lace and Leather" was used in the fan segment of the Femme Fatale Tour, I never really grew fond of it, but it sounded nice during that segment. I don't understand how it got to the final track listing as compared to the other tracks promoted in For the Record that didn't make the album.

137. EVERYBODY
Taken from: Blackout

The song sampled "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These)" by the Eurythmics. I still think that a proper cover of the track would have been more exciting. Though the song isn't really a big favorite of mine, the great thing about the song's production is the fact that it involved a lot of Britney's vocals (as well as adlibs) over the production, which was so rare in a lot of the Blackout songs.

136. SEAL IT WITH A KISS

I never really got fond of this song, it was just alright for me. It sounds like the laid-back sister of "3". Once again, it's really more of a filler over most Femme Fatale bonus tracks which were much stronger pop records.
Last edited by GetBack on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Erotica » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:36 pm

I like them all very much except Everybody
Erotica
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:53 am

This was a weak grouo of songs like "Big fat bass", "Body Ache" and "Lace & Leather" are among the weakest tracks of their respective albums. "Everybody" is cool but its also among the weakest from "Blackout".

"Seal it with a kiss" is great tho, pure gold and deserves higher IMO.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby GetBack » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 am

135. HOLD ON TIGHT

To be quite frank, the ballads on Britney Jean are a lot more listenable than the uptempos. "Hold on Tight" is alright, though it doesn't really have a highlight within the song. I also don't understand why they had to add a snare drum effect before the big chorus.

134. HOT AS ICE
Taken from: Blackout

The song leaked as "Cold as Fire" before the album was released, as well as many other tracks from the Blackout sessions. Britney's voice sounds spunky and commanding as she sings throughout. I just felt that it's not something that lives up to the cohesiveness of this album.

133. SCARY

Popularly known as the only track co-written by Britney in the Femme Fatale album, the song is actually just a bonus track from the Japanese edition. It's creatively done, the song even added a whirring scary sound effect throughout the song. It could have been a standard edition track over "Seal It with a Kiss" or "Big Fat Bass".

132. ROCK ME IN

The song is one of the many deluxe edition bonus tracks from Britney's highly anticipated comeback album, Circus. It's not one of the best ones, but I like that it's a very energetic and and guitar-driven track.

131. WHAT YOU NEED
Taken from: Glory

This song is very out-of-the-box for someone like Britney, who has always leaned towards upbeat and high energy dance songs. "What You Need" comes as a surprise even to her biggest fans. Though I applaud her for trying out new things, I feel like the song doesn't have that extra punch as compared to the other songs off the Glory album.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Erotica » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:05 pm

Hot as ice is one of Britney's best songs ever :cry:
Erotica
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:33 pm

"Hot as ice" is very cool, Top 100 worthy for me. "Hold on tight" is like the best song on "Britney Jean" and "Rock me in" is heavily underrated, its among her best hidden gems.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:45 pm

I dislike "Hot as Ice" and it's one of my least favourites of Britney. I always skip it when I listen to "Blackout", I think it's freaking annoying and the whole production (that video game thingy) is not my cup of tea at all.

Apart from "Gasoline", there are no big losses so far if you ask me. "E-Mail My Heart" is my guilty pleasure, though. I think it's a bit underrated among fans. Also it gaves us Britney's iconic comment on "Everybody's doing E-Mails" <3

Oh, I love "Hold On Tight", the ballads are the only thing why I would ever go back to "Britney Jean". I have to admit that I often forget about the song's existence aka I don't go back intentionally to listen to it but it's a real pearl in her discography: Authentic, honest, hauntingly beautiful. I should listen to it more often (but seriously, I don't want to push my "Britney Jean" scrobbles on last.fm any further haha).

I did a ranking with Noahh two years ago, that's why it's very difficult for me to say anything about the "Glory" tracks. I still have troubles to rank them because I think they need to stand the test of time but tbh, I really enjoy "What You Need", I think that it's a bit samey in the end but her attitude is on fire and I love what she tried to create but I can see why someone places it #131.

Harsh words on "Big Fat Bass". I started to love it less because of will.i.am having killed "Britney Jean" but BFB is quite good, especially the middle 8 part when the beat drops. Definitely one of his best producitions so far. It doesn't deserve to be underrated :D

I agree on "Alien". The song was very promising and I love the meaning of the track, the melody but the glitch makes me hate it. Seriously, it's outrageous that her team didn't provide a free download of a new, glitch-free version of the song after "Britney Jean" got released.

I HATE "Everbody". Perhaps my least Britney track together with "Clumsy", "Don't Hang Up", "Hot as Ice" and "Rock Boy", glad to see it that low!

I also agree on "Seal It With a Kiss". I couldn't turn into a fan of this song over the years either. Tbh, I think it's the only true filler on the record.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:05 pm

Mainshow wrote:
I HATE "Everbody". Perhaps my least Britney track together with "Clumsy", "Don't Hang Up", "Hot as Ice" and "Rock Boy", glad to see it that low!
Everybody isn't good, but all the others mentiones are good or even great :cry:
Erotica
Legend

Postby Ivica » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:14 am

SEAL IT WITH A KISS is siick. my fave FF song
also WHAT YOU NEED doesn't get the praise which deserves
ROCK ME IN and GASOLINE way to loww
Ivica
Legend

Postby Fan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:30 am

Hot As Ice is so low! One of my favourites on Blackout.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby GetBack » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:25 am

130. CHILLIN' WITH YOU (with Jamie Lynn)

The song marks Britney's first proper collaboration with her younger sister, Jamie Lynn Spears. It's not a bad song, but it's not really something that stands out as much, I think a more serious, pop/rock acoustic guitar song would have been suited better rather than this urban-leaning track.

129. AMNESIA

This song can pass as a decent album track, it was even a favorite of mine when I was able to listen to all of the Circus tracks in 2008, but lately, I'm not into it as much as I used to. Just like "Rock Me In", it has a more organic production as compared to majority of the album.

128. NOW THAT I FOUND YOU

Co-written by The Script frontman Danny O'Donoghue, "Now That I Found You" is the closing track of the Britney Jean album. To be honest, there's nothing wrong about the song, it's just that the production is so common at the time that it did not highlight the melody and lyrics.

127. INVITATION

"Invitation" is a sweet album opener, but I really dislike that it sounds too processed. I think singing in headtone and falsetto is Britey's strongest suit, I wonder why they made it sound too edited. I still think it could have worked well as a short interlude.

126. TIK TIK BOOM (featuring T.I.)

This is the third Britney Jean song from this set, and I must say that this was initially one of my favorite songs from the album. It showed a glimpse of what post-Blackout urban Britney could have been, but it feels like more of a teaser. Britney goes hard in the vocal adlibs, which give the song life towards the final chorus.
GetBack
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Last round wasn't much interesting, you should pull a big update, from 125 straight to 101.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:58 pm

"Amnesia" that low is outrageous! :D
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Tik Tik Boom is my favourite song on Britney Jean 8-)
Erotica
Legend

Postby GetBack » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:35 pm

125. PASSENGER

I used to be a huge fan of this song when it leaked, but I kinda grew tired of it already. The production is a bit messy, a stripped down version would have been more appropriate.

124. CLUMSY

Probably the campiest song on Glory, I feel like it's out of place in the album. The best part of the song is when Britney sings in a stronger tone (she basically belts out in the chorus part) but it's not as packed with punches as her other uptempos.

123. OUT FROM UNDER

The song was already recorded by Joanna Pacitti before Britney released her version. I feel like there's something lacking in it, it's not really up to par with her big, sad ballads pre-Circus.

122. ONE KISS FROM YOU
Taken from: Oops!... I Did It Again

The intro of this song is definitely the catchiest part, sadly, the rest doesn't live up to it. I remember having that intro part stuck in my head for a very long time in 2000.

121. LIAR

This song from Britney's latest album is very reminiscent to her earlier albums. There are times that I really like it and there are times when I skip it.
GetBack
Legend

Return to Personal Charts