The Best of Britney Spears: Top 150 - #1 REVEALED!

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby britboyphil » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:49 am

MrLeonix wrote:"Till the world ends", "Me against the music" and "Work Bitch" making the Top 20? Are you sure you are not trolling? :lol: :lol: .... Just kidding :P ..... Those were terrible entries in the Top 20.
i have no problem with these songs making the top 20. "me against the music" was not very popular among fans, but i love it. it is the MJ side of Britney. It is actually top 10 to me, along with Break the Ice, Circus, Slumber Party, Baby One More Time, Hold It Against Me, Overprotected, Toxic, Gimme More and Oops.
britboyphil
Manager

Postby GetBack » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:17 am

007. EVERYTIME
Taken from: In the Zone

"Everytime" is probably Britney's best ballad released. It's very solemn and calming, the sad lyrics are very haunting indeed. Britney's soft tone fits the production, I also like the music box sound effects used in the song. The music video is also amazing, it features actor Stephen Dorff, and the ending of the music video caused quite a stir, as many perceived it as Britney committing suicide in the bathtub. Britney performed this in The Onyx Hotel Tour while playing the piano. How I wish she did it again in her residency and her most recent tour.

Britney and actor Stephen Dorff in the car scene of the "Everytime" music video.
006. PIECE OF ME
Taken from: Blackout

I wasn't initially impressed when I heard the leaked not-so-high quality version of "Piece of Me". I remember how it was so hyped, many music blogs talked about it, and there were so many fanmade cover art regarding the Blackout album and the singles. The music video to me is just alright, it's crazy how much press it got. Britney was apparently late to the set, and there were so many paparazzi waiting to get a scoop of what the video concept is about. Britney also reunited with "I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman" director Wayne Isham. This song is close to my heart as there is a lyrics where she mentions sneaking away to the Philippines, which she eventually ten years later.

Britney in the 2008 MTV Video of the Year recipient, "Piece of Me", which also won her Best Pop Video and Best Female Video.
005. (YOU DRIVE ME) CRAZY (THE STOP REMIX!)
Taken from: ...Baby One More Time

The first song in my Top 5 would have to be the very energetic and dance-driven "(You Drive Me) Crazy (The Stop Remix!)". I was already a fan of the original album version but was so ecstatic to hear the remixed version upon release. It just took the song to a whole different level, the song was recorded with new vocals, Britney's deep vocals has a lot more attitude and oomph in it as compared to the original recorded version. The music video is also one of her best, the choreography is amazing and I loved the whole male versus female dance battle. It was also Britney's first soundtrack single, as it was featured in the Drive Me Crazy film featuring actress Melissa Joan Hart and actor Adrian Grenier.

Britney and actress Melissa Joan Hart in the "(You Drive Me) Crazy (The Stop Remix!) music video.
GetBack
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:40 am

"Hold it against me", "Everytime", "Piece of me" and "(You drive me) Crazy" are great entries in the Top 10.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:34 pm

Ohh i voted In the zone as for some reason i thought Everytime was going to be your #1. Not based on anything other than it being a fan favourite and not an obvious winner like a certain two other Britney singles. :wink:

I think i'm gonna love every song in this top 10 though. Everytime really was gorgeous and it was impressive to see Britney getting two back to back UK #1 hits.

Piece of me was also a grower for me. It's on par with Womanizer as a Britney single i liked but i didn't love. (You drive me) crazy however is such a pop anthem. I've often thought that it could've been even more successful had it been the follow up to the global smash Baby one more time as Sometimes was good but kinda twee.

Ohh and my all time favourite Britney single is yet to come so yay! :lol: :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby Erotica » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:47 pm

I love Everytime, Piece of me and You drive me crazy
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby GetBack » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:01 am

004. TOXIC
Taken from: In the Zone

"Toxic" is the fierce and sensual second single off In the Zone. Among the four official singles, it's obviously the most popular one. The song is her first non-lead single to be bigger than the actual lead single, Britney usually has the lead single as the biggest highlight of her albums prior to this era. I remember watching MTV's Making the Video just to witness everything that had to do with the music video. Critics and fans hail it as her best video, it was nominated for four MTV Video Music Awards but lost all, which to me is probably one of most questionable losses ever, considering how brilliant the execution is for the video using the song. A raw version of Britney singing "Toxic" was leaked and it was great to hear how she actually sounded without the many vocal effects added to the final album version.

Britney as a flight attendant in the Joseph Kahn-directed music video "Toxic".
003. ...BABY ONE MORE TIME

In third place is the most important single of Britney's career, her first-ever single, "...Baby One More Time". Contrary to most female pop stars, Britney Spears debuted on top, she never really experienced the slow climb to success, she was already a household name the moment her first music video got heavy rotation on all music channels. I remember buying all magazines with her on the cover, I even had the controversial yet iconic Rolling Stone magazine in which she was on the cover. As for the song, it has this very nostalgic feel, its one of those songs that one can sing along to each time it is played. When I watched her concert here in Manila, this had the loudest applause. Also, at the end of the show when people were leaving the arena, this was played outside and there was a huge impromptu karaoke party where fans who watched sang along to every word of "...Baby One More Time".

Britney wearing the controversial Catholic schoolgirl outfit in the opening sequence of "...Baby One More Time".
Below is a clip of the Filipino audience singing along to Britney's hits after the Manila leg of the Britney: Live in Concert.

Filipino fans singing along to "..Baby One More Time" and other Britney singles after the Manila leg of the Britney: Live in Concert.
GetBack
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:38 pm

"Toxic" and "Baby one more time" are two legendary and classic pop songs. Magnum-Opus Britney.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:45 pm

Both songs deserve to be so high because of being iconic, career-defining moments and having shaped pop music massively.

Anyway, in my opinion, "Toxic" is slightly overrated. I like the tune and I highly appreciate it but I prefer lots of other Britney tracks. It's not even part of my Top 5 taken from "In The Zone", bth ("Breathe On Me", "Touch of My Hand", "Everytime", "The Answer").

It's great to see "Piece of Me", "Oops!..I Did It Again" & "Everytime" as part of your Top 10 as well!. I love "Crazy" but I think I have never seen a fan mentioning as part of their Top 10, tbh! What a surprise! (A lovely one!)
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:38 pm

Toxic is an extraordinary pop beast and my favourite Britney single. <3 However Baby one more time is a close second in my ranking of Britney singles.

I just think Toxic was the more important song in Britney's career because five years after her groundbreaking debut, the lukewarm success of Me against the music could've been the end of that campaign, but the team did an astonishing job to transform Britney's fortunes in 2004 and help In the zone become a successful album.
JakeP
Manager

Postby britboyphil » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:56 am

Baby One More Time and Toxic ate Britney classics that will always stand out among her bests.
britboyphil
Manager

Postby britboyphil » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:57 am

Baby One More Time and Toxic are Britney classics that will always stand out among her bests. In terms of significance, Baby was the beginning of Britney the Princess of Pop. Toxic was the evolution of Britney into an adult entertainer. But I prefer Baby over Toxic.
britboyphil
Manager

Postby GetBack » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:56 pm

We now come to the end of my Britney Spears personal chart. We managed to count down 150 songs in 3 months. :oops: :oops: I haven't done this in a while, I used to do countdowns like this more often back when I was a newbie in the forum and when there were so many members posting here that made UKMix more of a chatroom than a messageboard. :lol: :lol: The only reason why I came back to doing this was because Britney was going to Manila and it was the time I played all her albums like it was her heyday. It brought me back to the days when music mostly occupied my life! :P :P I would like to thank everyone who followed the countdown of one of my favorite artists ever. :D :D

And the runner-up is...

002. BORN TO MAKE YOU HAPPY

The runner-up position belongs to one of my favorite Britney songs ever, "Born to Make You Happy". I just love everything about this song. It's a midtempo that has lyrics of a ballad, and I love that the music video managed to have some high-energy choreography, and the way Britney and her dancers moved to every beat to it looked very unique indeed. Britney sported short hair in this music video, something fresh and different from the usual long hair or pigtails/ponytail look she sported during most of the performances and videos for this era. Interestingly, Christopher Snyder, who plays her love interest here, is the only model who was able to be Britney's love interest in more than one music video, the other video being "From the Bottom of My Broken Heart". I remember playing this repeatedly on cassette tape, hearing this song brings back so much memories of MTV and the nineties. It's a shame that this barely gets any recognition in her tours. I hope that maybe someday, she would perform this song again. There's also an alternate mix of the song which showcases more of Britney's vocals over a stripped down production.

Britney and model Christopher Snyder playing lovers in the "Born to Make You Happy" music video
GetBack's #1 Britney Spears song is...

001. GIMME MORE
Taken from: Blackout

"It's Britney, Bitch!" is one of the most iconic opening statements in a song. Britney's ever so controversial return in 2007's Blackout was unstoppable. To be honest, this was such a bittersweet return for her, as there was so much turmoil and chaos in her personal life at the time, and the music took the backseat as her every run-in with the paparazzi became the main highlight. The song was released at the time I was really rooting for her, every Britney fan and casual follower knows that it was during this time that Britney was all over the news, magazines and the internet. With the many controversies Britney went through that overshadowed the Blackout era, it was indeed such a tough time to be a fan. As for the song, everything about it is so sexy, and she and Danja did it in a very dark, moody, gritty manner. It's like there's so much mystery behind the songs from the album. Britney performed the main version of the song only once, and that was in the heavily-panned opening performance at the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards, which is probably the last performance in the history of VMAs to receive such huge publicity and mega hype from the media. I'm so glad that despite the song reflecting Britney's dark period, she still managed to include it in most of her tours and in her Vegas residency as well. This song's impact to me is probably the main reason why it is my ultimate favorite Britney Spears song.

Britney in the controversial stripper pole dance scene in the "Gimme More" music video
As for the poll, it was between In the Zone and Blackout getting most of the votes, with In the Zone taking the lead. Both albums have two singles each in the Top 10 of my personal chart.

Thank you guys for supporting my countdown! I hope you liked my choices and I hope you all enjoyed reading the commentary as well. 8-) 8-)
GetBack
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:36 am

Your top 2 is flawless! We even share the same #2 (I just have "Oops!...I Did It Again" on top) But "Gimme More" is definitely legendary, iconic!

OMG! I have never noticed that it's the same guy in "From The Bottom of My Broken HearT" video!!! Thanks for sharing this trivia! Love it!
The alternative mix (which I believe to be the original version of the song because theoretically, it fits more to the other songs taken from "...Baby One More Time") is also a pearl in Britney's discography because, like you said, it shows Britney's vocal skills and it's a nice addition after all. Love both versions (prefer the single version, though).
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:02 pm

Born to make you happy grew on me over the years. Today I think it's a great song and a strong single, when it was released I did not like it so much

Toxic flashed me back then, I listened to it too much maybe but overall I think it's her best single or at least in the top 3

Gimme More is nice, but I preferred the other singles from Blackout
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby britboyphil » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:40 pm

It is a very interesting top 2. Born To Make You Happy is a stand out in Baby One More Time album. I love it. Britney was really born to make us happy.

Gimme More really belong up there. In terms of significance, Gimme More is on par with Baby One More Time and Toxic. Gimme More is Britney Spears solidifying the Living Legend status. There is no question about it.

Congrats GetBack for a job well done. Effort not wasted. Slow claps for you kabayan!
britboyphil
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:02 am

Your Top 10 almost knocked me out. One phenomenal pop monster after the other. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Let me leave my thoughts on the Top 20, though, as that's where I left off.

Till the World Ends - this is way more Ke$ha than Britney, and I'd have preferred if Ke$ha had kept it. Britney does a decent job with it, though. You didn't mention the Ke$ha/Nicki remix, which I like. Nicki's verse is pretty hot.

Me Against the Music - how do you listen to this song and not dance? It's such a banger! Britney's choreography in the video is her best ever.

Work Bitch - definitely not classic Britney, but fun nonetheless.

Make Me... - her weakest lead single; it doesn't even feel like a song she would record, but I kinda like it anyway. :lol:

I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman - a fantastic coming of age anthem. It'd probably make my Top 15, too.

Breathe on Me - its sensuality was lost on me in my younger years, but I've come to appreciate it as one of her finest album tracks. There's definitely something special about it; it stands out among its sister In the Zone tracks.

Circus - great song, with a solid video. I remember playing it like a madman when it first came out, and watching the For the Record documentary and seeing the behind-the-scenes footage of the making of the video, when Brit Brit's long-time choreographer said that it was this video where he saw the fire in her eyes had finally returned, after being gone for some time. I think it tends to get lost in the shuffle of her bigger global hits, but this one is special in my heart 'cause it was one of the first singles I actually got to really experience as a Britney fan.

Slumber Party - the song is excellence, the music video is fantastic, everything about this suggested that it should have been a much bigger hit than it actually was.

I'm a Slave 4 U - perhaps her second weakest lead single after "Make Me...". I love Brit Brit, but urban-pop is not her territory.

Overprotected - fantastic song! I agree that it's the best from its parent album.

Oops!...I Did It Again - forget nostalgia, this song is just pure pop gold! It's one of the best pop songs ever, accompanied by one of my personal favourite videos ever, and, of course, recorded by perhaps the greatest pop artist ever. :lol: Who else could have pulled off that I'm not that innocent! hook? NO ONE.

Womanizer - the first song I got to really follow as a Britney fan. I don't care if it's repetitive, this song is a clear 10/10 in my book. Fantastic video, too. I'm happy you highlighted the X Factor UK performance of it; that one will go down as one of my favourite Britney live performances.

Hold It Against Me - again, this is a track only Britney could have pulled off. It's just epic. The chorus is laced with pop glitter, and the dubstep breakdown armed with a feisty edge. I love how the music video summarises her career. The live performances for this song were all dire; I think it's deserving of a lot more effort, but the song is faultless. Another easy 10/10.

Everytime - a gorgeous ballad, but I must admit that it's a tad overrated. Just a tad, though.

Piece of Me - I think I've run out of superlatives at this point, but this song is brilliant. Absolutely perfect, in my opinion. Also, I stand by the opinion that it was totally deserving of video of the year honours at the VMAs.

(You Drive Me) Crazy - the STOP bit is epic, and I completely agree that the overall reworked version is so superior to the original mix.

Toxic - you could make a case for this being the best pop song ever.

...Baby One More Time - similarly, you could make a case for this being the best pop song ever.

Born to Make You Happy - this song is just so AW. Just adorable. Brit Brit in her teenage glory.

Gimme More - I'm gonna be a sentimental mess here, and say that you can kinda sum up Britney's whole journey with that opening line. She enjoyed heights that most pop stars can only dream of, and endured some painful, public lows. She's had moments where we marvelled at her creative genius, and moments where we were hearing rumours that her team were flying in impersonators to sing her tracks. She's had legendary live performances, and embarrassing, reputation-sullying failures. She was every girl's hero, then the butt of every comedian's joke, then hailed as the comeback queen, and through it all, her spirit endured. Through it all, she kept giving us great music. Through it all, she proved that she wasn't just going to lie down and give up. It's Britney, bitch was the ultimate symbol of defiance to everyone who pegged her for dead, a reminder that the pop princess was alive and willing to fight, and 10 years on, she's still here, still giving us quality music, still making millions of fans around the world smile. Damn it, I love this woman so much. :cry:

Many thanks for putting this countdown together, GetBack! And I have to say it again, it's a brilliant Top 10 you have here. Practically flawless from 1-10.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby GetBack » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:54 am

Thank you guys so much, I actually hesitated at first in making this Top 150 because I thought no one would comment! :oops: :oops:

Mainshow wrote:OMG! I have never noticed that it's the same guy in "From The Bottom of My Broken HearT" video!!! Thanks for sharing this trivia! Love it!
Wow! I can't believe you didn't notice that. I remember wondering back in 1999 if the videos were sequels since they had the same love interest and they were released right after each other, but I looked it up and the music videos actually had different directors.

Erotica wrote:Born to make you happy grew on me over the years. Today I think it's a great song and a strong single, when it was released I did not like it so much
Same here, but it grew on me a lot when it became a single. :D :D
britboyphil wrote:Congrats GetBack for a job well done. Effort not wasted. Slow claps for you kabayan!
Maraming salamat din, britboyphil! It's great to see another Filipino in this board and in this thread most especially! :D :D

JSparksFan wrote:Gimme More - I'm gonna be a sentimental mess here, and say that you can kinda sum up Britney's whole journey with that opening line. She enjoyed heights that most pop stars can only dream of, and endured some painful, public lows. She's had moments where we marvelled at her creative genius, and moments where we were hearing rumours that her team were flying in impersonators to sing her tracks. She's had legendary live performances, and embarrassing, reputation-sullying failures. She was every girl's hero, then the butt of every comedian's joke, then hailed as the comeback queen, and through it all, her spirit endured. Through it all, she kept giving us great music. Through it all, she proved that she wasn't just going to lie down and give up. It's Britney, bitch was the ultimate symbol of defiance to everyone who pegged her for dead, a reminder that the pop princess was alive and willing to fight, and 10 years on, she's still here, still giving us quality music, still making millions of fans around the world smile. Damn it, I love this woman so much. :cry:

Many thanks for putting this countdown together, GetBack! And I have to say it again, it's a brilliant Top 10 you have here. Practically flawless from 1-10.
Wow Akini! This commentary is one of the best I've read! :cry: :cry: Thanks for supporting the chart! I appreciate it! :D :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:48 pm

GetBack wrote:
Mainshow wrote:OMG! I have never noticed that it's the same guy in "From The Bottom of My Broken HearT" video!!! Thanks for sharing this trivia! Love it!
Wow! I can't believe you didn't notice that. I remember wondering back in 1999 if the videos were sequels since they had the same love interest and they were released right after each other, but I looked it up and the music videos actually had different directors.

Actually, "From The Bottom of My Broken Heart" has never been released here and it has never been shown on MTV at all. And back in the day, there was no Youtube or Internet to look for it. I think I saw it for the very first time when I bought the "Greatest Hits" DVD in 2005 :oops: and I was not paying much attention to it (perhaps I have watched the music video only twice in my whole life #flopfan) :D
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Return to Personal Charts