Top 50 Aaliyah Songs by biscuits The Diva [30-24]

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:54 am

40. 4 Page Letter
The first single to fall from 'One in a Million' is 4 Page Letter. It has a nice laid-back groove, but verges on boring sometimes, and there are much better ballads on the album. I think the video is stunning though - one of her best, and from a time when music videos were well thought-out and invested in. She must have been freezing though because we see her breath during the choreography shots!
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:57 am

39. What If
Another one from the second half of 'Aaliyah', although it's a lot higher up than some of its counterparts. I think the guitars and rock-infused beats work well on this one, and it's pretty cool. However, in the past couple of days, I've really begun to like 'I Can Be', so I think that these two songs would probably switch positions now.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:05 am

38. Got To Give It Up
Another single from her sophomore album, and probably one of her most forgotten. When I first bought the 'One in a Million' album, this was one of the initial tracks that stood out to me because it had a cool party vibe to it. I didn't know it was a cover at that point. As I got more into the album, this one ended up taking a backseat but I digs the instrumental.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:06 am

37. All I Need
From here on, I'll have very little criticism of the songs because I like them all a lot. This one is such a departure from the alternative songs which have appeared so far. It's so light and breezy and such a relaxing listen. Of the 6 new songs on 'I Care 4 U', this was always the one I listened to least, but now that I'm older, I think I can appreciate it more - it's not about the beats, it's about a pretty melody.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Gravity » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:07 am

4 Page Letter was a bit boring to me but then one day it just clicked with me. It's a really cool smooth R&B jam.

What If is good but I prefer I Can Be. Her worst 'rock' song is Messed Up.

All I Need is cute but I don't listen to it much.

Got To give It Up is alright.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:08 am

Gravity wrote:Her worst 'rock' song is Messed Up.
It's literally at the bottom of my whole list.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:13 am

36. Loose Rap
From what I understand, this is another fan favourite, which many wanted to see as a single. I've always thought it was cool (although it would be better if it was trimmed a bit). The instrumental is really cool and the song itself has got to be one of the reasons everybody calls the 'Aaliyah' album ahead of its time.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Gravity » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:14 am

biscuits wrote:
Gravity wrote:Her worst 'rock' song is Messed Up.
It's literally at the bottom of my whole list.
Same here!

Loose Rap is cool, but not one of my favorites.
Last edited by Gravity on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:15 am

Good start!
'It's Whatever', 'I Refuse' and 'I Can Be' would be much higher on my countdown. Same for 'We Need A Resolution' and "What if'. The entire 'Aaliyah' album is amazing, deserves so much more.

:)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:17 am

35. Those Were The Days
This song is still quite 'new' to me as it's from the second half of the Red album, but it continues to grow on me every day. It's songs like this which make me sad because it shows just how much potential she had to keep growing as an artist. Nobody was really making sounds like this in 2001, so imagine how far she was going to evolve. This is the 7th song from 'Aaliyah' to appear!
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:20 am

34. Young Nation
The fourth song from 'Age Ain't Nothing But a Number' is this laid-back groove. I have no other words to describe it. It's that late night, summer chill type of music.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Benjamin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:21 am

'Those Were The Days' probably is my favourite of the 'Aaliyah' album.
It's different, quite ' rocky' and hypnotising.
I love it so, so, so much. <3
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:25 am

33. I Gotcha Back
There's nothing special about this one, just a cool little album cut with a good beat and gorgeous harmonies.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Gravity » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:28 am

Those Were The Days is amazing! It used to be my favorite on The Red Album. It's not anymore but I still love it :P

Love Young Nation, one of the best songs on AANBAN.

I Gotcha back is just that: a cool album cut.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:30 am

32. Don't Know What To Tell Ya
I'm using the word 'cool' so much, but that is just the perfect word to describe most of her songs. They have beautiful vocals over slick beats - just like this one. When it got released as a single, it actually put me off the song a little because it was overplayed here in the UK and I also thought there were better songs on 'I Care 4 U'.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Gravity » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:32 am

Don't Know What To Tell Ya is in my top 10 Aaliyah songs. The lyrics >>>>>>>>

"I can't help it she was a fast one
a sassy one I'm a classy one"
8-)
Gravity
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:33 am

Last one for now...

31. Extra Smooth
This is one of those songs which needs to be played loud in order to appreciate the heavy beats and bass. Only when you really focus do you get the nuances of the instrumental and how intricate it actually is. I'm not sure, but is this track unpopular among the fans?
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Gravity » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:35 am

I don't like Extra Smooth. The instrumental is cool but i don't like the lyrics and the overall vibe of the song. It's the 2nd weakest song on The Red Album for me, after Messed Up.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:36 am

GetBack wrote:Age Ain't Nothing but a Number is so underrated. I understood why she had to move on from that record quickly but it's such an amazing album!
I agree. Like I said, it's dated but in the most fantastic way. I love the 90s sound it captured. 8-)
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:39 am

Gravity wrote:Street Thing is one of the highlights on AANBAN for me.

I'm Down & I'm So Into You are both fillers. That album has way too many fillers IMO. Brandy and Monica's debuts were much stronger.

I Can Be is one of my favorite Aaliyah songs. The rock-ish sound, the lyrics that perfectly capture emotions of a side chick >>>>>>>

I'm a bit sad Giving You More got snubbed :( it's a great song.
AANBAN does have some fillers yes, but also some total gems, which will be higher up on my countdown . I think 'Brandy' and 'Miss Thang' have an equal amount of filler tbh, so I can't decide which is stronger. I think it's between AANBAN and Miss Thang for me, but maybe Aaliyah's wins it for me, because it has that quintessential 90s sound which still sounds cool today.

'I Can Be' is growing on me more and more - I'm gonna have to do a revised list when I finish the countdown to show any changes! It has a very dark feel to it, which is great.

I'm trying to so hard with 'Giving You More', but I can't :(
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:41 am

Gravity wrote:We Need a Resolution was so ahead of its time. Such an unique bop. And yes I'm shocked to see it so low :P
GetBack wrote:I love "We Need a Resolution". It's sad that it didn't click with the public. It's just so sad that it was her last single which she was able to promote.
I think WNAR was too bold at the time, and because Aaliyah wasn't a huge star yet, it didn't pay off. Maybe she should have played it safe for the lead single.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:43 am

Gravity wrote:4 Page Letter was a bit boring to me but then one day it just clicked with me. It's a really cool smooth R&B jam.

What If is good but I prefer I Can Be. Her worst 'rock' song is Messed Up.

All I Need is cute but I don't listen to it much.

Got To give It Up is alright.
Sounds like we are in agreement on all of these. '4 Page Letter' can be amazing if I'm in the mood to listen to it, but boring at other times. I also think it's another one which needs to be quite loud to appreciate - which is unusual for a slow jam.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:45 am

Benjamin wrote:Good start!
'It's Whatever', 'I Refuse' and 'I Can Be' would be much higher on my countdown. Same for 'We Need A Resolution' and "What if'. The entire 'Aaliyah' album is amazing, deserves so much more.

:)
Even though a lot of 'Aaliyah' songs have fallen quite early, I can reveal that all songs from the album appear on my countdown, unlike the other 2 albums (spoiler!) :wink:

'I Can Be' would definitely be higher now, top 40 probably. 8-)
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:46 am

Gravity wrote:I don't like Extra Smooth. The instrumental is cool but i don't like the lyrics and the overall vibe of the song. It's the 2nd weakest song on The Red Album for me, after Messed Up.
I have no idea what the lyrics are about tbh. My 13 year old self didn't pay attention to them, just to the beats :oops:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 am

Benjamin wrote:'Those Were The Days' probably is my favourite of the 'Aaliyah' album.
It's different, quite ' rocky' and hypnotising.
I love it so, so, so much. <3
Do you prefer it to all the singles too? Could it be your #1 Aaliyah song?
biscuits
The Diva

Return to Personal Charts