No votes

Total votes : 15

Postby Thriller » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:45 pm

JakeP wrote:
Thriller wrote:31

WRITTEN BY: Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers
TAKEN FROM: Light Years [2000]
CHART POSITION: 2

Kids is probably Kylie's second-most-famous duet and came as the third single from Light Years. Originally written by Robbie and Guy as a solo track for Kylie, Robbie decided to turn it into a duet when he felt chemistry with Kylie. The song would have fit perfectly on Impossible Princess as it has that indie/pop vein with brash vocals and suggestive lyrics. Kylie sells it completely with her trademark breathy, seductive voice in the verses and showing off her higher register in the chorus.
Picking up on your comment had this been released in 1997 during Kylie's indie phase and Robbie still seemingly a struggling solo artist Kids would've probably had a very lukewarm reception from the public, and no doubt a rapping Robbie would've left people sighing and having a facepalm moment. :lol:
I agree, the timing for Kids was definitely right in 2000! It actually would've fit on Life Thru A Lens too, musically.
Thriller

Postby Carbon » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:49 pm

Feels So Good is the best on that meh album, didn't know it was a cover!

Kids is fine, I liked it more years ago, don't feel like listening to it nowadays
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:13 pm

WRITTEN BY: Mich Hedin Hansen, Jonas Jeberg, Engelina Andrina and Adam Powers
TAKEN FROM: X [2007]
CHART POSITION: n/a

Like A Drug is taken from Kylie's fantastic X album, which saw her experiment with several genres including electropop. Kicking in straight after 2 Hearts, this track demands to be listened to with a pulsing electro bassline and a dark early-80s feel which puts me in mind of Fade To Grey by Visage. I actually think this would've been better placed as the album's opening track and paired with Speakerphone. It sounded great when she performed it live on the X tour!
Thriller

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:00 pm

• I've never cared much for "Kids" :oops: but it certainly provided an interesting contrast to the other Light Years singles, and undoubtedly helped to solidify her comeback.
• "Like A Drug" is as delectably smutty as "Skirt" ;) It's definitely one of the sexiest songs on X (right along with "Sensitized.") The "I never had a ride as delicate and fine..." bit is particularly erotic, infectious, and absolutely fabulous! I'm also thrilled to see you refer to X as "fantastic", so hopefully there's even more from it yet to be revealed...
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JimJim » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:13 am

Gosh, she's had so many great songs over the years. Luckily it seems most of my favs are still coming up.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Fan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:19 am

Like A Drug has always been one of my favourite tracks on X and still feel like it was a missed single opportunity.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:30 am

"Like a Drug" is one of her best!
GetBack
Legend

Postby Thriller » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:14 am

WRITTEN BY: Kylie Minogue, Richard Stannard, Julian Gallagher and Ash Howes
TAKEN FROM: Fever [2001]
CHART POSITION: 3

In Your Eyes was the second single taken from Fever; following up CGYOOMH was always going to be a tough task but In Your Eyes served as a perfect solution, keeping the pulsing, clubby feel of its predecessor but inching slightly more towards disco/pop that Spinning Around made her known for (with a lyrical reference included!). I fell out of love with it for a period but after a long time of not listening I can now appreciate it - especially that finally bridge and chorus.
Thriller

Postby YouMakeMeFeel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:45 pm

^ I always loved the video to In Your Eyes. I particularly love when she punches the screen with her Kylie ring. 8-)
Kylie Minogue, Garbage, Simply Red, Coldplay, U2, Janet Jackson, Nine Inch Nails, Tove Lo, Blue October, Godsmack
YouMakeMeFeel
Manager

Postby GetBack » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:15 pm

"In Your Eyes" is brilliant", I remember watching the music video a lot on MTV.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Thriller » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:50 pm

WRITTEN BY: Kylie Minogue, Ash Thomas and Karen Poole
TAKEN FROM: Body Language [2003]

Sweet Music is a Body Language album track that was an immediate standout for me. Combining disco, funk and electro it's a track reminisce of Prince and his 80s counterparts. Great lyrics, hook and hook and a triumphant, upbeat chorus that packs a punch it really helps cement Body Language as a great piece of work, arguably ahead of its time. Sweet Music is the second-highest album track on this chart - can you guess the highest?
Thriller

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:30 pm

• I do like "In Your Eyes", but it's a pretty distant fourth when it comes to the Fever singles for me (though I guess that's more an indication of just how much I love the other three.) The clever nod to "Spinning Around" is definitely a highlight!
• "Sweet Music" is a very strong contender for my favorite Body Language album track (though "Secret (Take You Home)" provides some stiff competition.) So only one non-single remains, eh? Well, we know it's not from Kiss Me Once :lol: You called X "fantastic", and mentioned "Speakerphone" in what seemed like a positive context, so maybe that's the one...?
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Carbon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:51 pm

I dislike In Your Eyes, don't know why really.. the melody just annoys the hell out of me, always has

Sweet Music is interesting, I've forgotten what the full BL album sounds like cause I'm not really into her album tracks, but this was a nice revisit of my early teen years when I played this album over and over again
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:09 pm

In your eyes was great but i guess it was always gonna be tough being the follow up to such an almighty beast of a song. :P

That said, i much preferred Love at first sight over In your eyes so will be keeping an eye out for this one. :wink:

I never bought Body language i've always been a little disappointed by that album. :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby Thriller » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:35 pm

WRITTEN BY: Mike Stock, Matt Aitken and Pete Waterman
TAKEN FROM: Kylie [1988]
CHART POSITION: 2

Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi is one of Kylie's cutest songs and it was her fourth hit in the UK. Known as I Still Love You in some territories, the track is a pop-ballad with a slightly more subtle SAW production letting the melody shine through hugely. I especially love the structure of the verses leading to the "I... I... IIIIII'm wondering why..." bridge. An often overlooked song amongst her back catalogue, it still stands up today as one of her sweetest pure pop moments.
Thriller

Postby Mainshow » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:56 pm

JNSPP is cute but "In Your Eyes" and "Like a Drug" are epic!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:38 pm

WRITTEN BY: Mike Stock, Matt Aitken and Pete Waterman
TAKEN FROM: Enjoy Yourself [1989]
CHART POSITION: 1

Hand On Your Heart was the lead single from Kylie's second LP and her third #1 in the UK. Sticking to form, SAW didn't attempt to progress Kylie's sound quite yet and this could've easily been from her debut. Her look, however, became a little more sophisticated while maintaining the fun. There's nothing to dislike about this song and it's a strongly written track as proven by the Abbey Road session and Jose Gonzales's acoustic cover.
Thriller

Postby Carbon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Really cheesy, but really catchy! Can't help but find it sweet
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby JimJim » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:48 pm

In Your Eyes is great. I feel like it's underrated, but it was a #1 here.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby GetBack » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:26 am

"Hand in My Heart" is a cute song!
GetBack
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:11 am

Aww, i love the innocent pop cuteness of Je ne sais pas pourquoi.

Then there's Hand on your heart which i find so charming despite sounding like a typical Kylie song from the late 80s. I regard this as one of Kylie's best singles from that era. Definitely my personal favourite from all her 80s songs. <3
JakeP
Manager

Postby Thriller » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:31 am

WRITTEN BY: Nerina Pallot and Andy Chatterley
TAKEN FROM: Aphrodite [2010]

Aphrodite is the title track to Kylie's 11th studio album and ends up as this chart's highest album track! From the moment I listened to the album in full, this song was one I wanted to go back to immediately. I definitely think they missed a trick not promoting this as a single as seeing her perform it live makes you realise the power of the song and it represents the album really well. It's this sort of music the Kylie from Light Years onwards excels at.
Thriller

Postby Mainshow » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Oh no! So this countdown doesn't include "Closer"? - But I really love "Aphrodite"! It's a great choice and I'm glad it made your list!

Personally, I adore the whole album but I think that the 3rd and 4th singles choices were stupid. They should have gone with the title track as 3rd single and close the era with "Closer" or "Cupid Boy".
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Thriller » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:38 am

WRITTEN BY: Kylie Minogue, Richard Stannard, James Wiltshire, Russell Small, John Andersson, Johan Emmoth and Emma Holmgren
TAKEN FROM: X [2007]
CHART POSITION: 36

The One was the fourth and final single taken from X and sadly became Kylie's first flop since her 2000 comeback, due to lack of a physical release. Originally recorded by dance act Laid and then given to Kylie, this synthpop number pays homeage to the likes of New Order and has those sad, wistful lyrics which Kylie's delivers so well. The Freemasons remix turns it into more of a gay club bop but in either form this is definitely a highlight of her later catalogue.
Thriller

Postby Mainshow » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:27 am

Pop heaven
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Return to Personal Charts