Tears On My Pillow
No votes
Get Outta My Way
13%
Shocked
No votes

Total votes : 15

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:34 pm

YES! :D On a night like this is such an anthem, i love this song immensely. I even prefer this more than Spinning around to be honest. Such a shame this wasn't a UK #1. :( That said, i have never liked the rather seedy pervert-esque video. :oops:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:02 am

"On a Night Like This" is brilliant, one of Kylie's very best. It's also one of her sexiest songs!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:01 pm

WRITTEN BY: Mich Hansen, Lucas Secon, Damon Sharpe, Peter Wallevik and Daniel Davidsen
TAKEN FROM: Aphrodite [2010]
CHART POSITION: 12

Get Outta My Way was the second single from Aphrodite and it was hard to place it at #4 on this countdown! The fact it wasn't at least a top 5 smash in the UK is a travesty as it is one of Kylie's best pure pop/dance moments and has a relentless energy that rides through the track for the duration. There's a lot of defiance in the lyrics that sum up Kylie's party spirit and I'm glad out of all the artists who wanted the track that she bagged it. The build up of the bridge as her vocals get higher into the explosion of the chorus is always so exciting and never gets old, plus the video is a masterpiece!
Thriller

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:05 pm

I agree on everything what you said on "Get Outta My Way". This should have been bigger and it's one of her finest singles! I am glad it made your Top 5!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:54 pm

I wonder why Get outta my way underperformed so much considering it was coming off the back of Kylie's biggest hit in a while. Did the song get much radio support? Or was it given a silly release strategy like Timebomb which cost it a higher chart peak?
JakeP
Manager

Postby Thriller » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:16 pm

It was B-List on Radio 1 and she did Live Lounge but I really think what hampered it was the fact it was available on iTunes as a single download from the album release and because she performed it on Alan Carr and a few other shows when the album was released it caused the song to however around the 20s/30s on iTunes before the proper single release. What Parlophone should've done is stopped the track being eligible to download as a single track until the single release week. With all of the front-loaded sales it surely would've then gone top 5.
Thriller

Postby JakeP » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Thriller wrote:It was B-List on Radio 1 and she did Live Lounge but I really think what hampered it was the fact it was available on iTunes as a single download from the album release and because she performed it on Alan Carr and a few other shows when the album was released it caused the song to however around the 20s/30s on iTunes before the proper single release. What Parlophone should've done is stopped the track being eligible to download as a single track until the single release week. With all of the front-loaded sales it surely would've then gone top 5.
I just checked in case i was mistaken but i'm more surprised that Alesso sampled this song on his track Cool and managed to go top 10 in the UK. :o
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:01 pm

I would also put On A Night Like This is my Kylie top 5, such a good song. It was actually the very first Kylie song I liked :lol: (Spinning Around was the first Kylie song I ever heard, but didn't like it at the time).

Get Outta My Way is obviously a massive tune and should have been huge.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:45 am

WRITTEN BY: Ira Shickman, Osborne Bingham, Kara DioGuardi and Paula Abdul
TAKEN FROM: Light Years [2000]
CHART POSITION: 1

Spinning Around was the debut single from Kylie's comeback album Light Years. It's 2000 and Kylie hasn't charted for two years - a long time in the pop landscape, especially when your last era had a lukewarm reception. Spinning Around was the perfect comeback single and I firmly believe that without it she wouldn't have enjoyed the further success that followed. The whole package around the single was marketing genius - the hotpants (ditching Indie Kylie and reminding everyone how hot she was), the disco/pop production taking it right back to basics and lyrics about being back that resonated with an audience who were wondering what happened to their 80s pop idol? Weirdly though, Paula Abdul originally wrote it about her divorce! Spinning Around is a complete joy from beginning to end and I wish she'd have another moment like it on the new album.
Thriller

Postby heppolo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:14 am

^It's okay, but nothing more. Typical Kylie, no surprises.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Erotica » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:15 am

I love the last two songs :)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Fan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:39 pm

Had absolutely no idea Paula Abdul wrote Spinning Around! :o
Like I mentioned earlier, for some reason I hated this when it was released, but I do love it now.
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:12 pm

Spinning around is a great Kylie track, and one of her most significant when you consider just how much it helped transform her success into what was to become her most successful album era ever. :D I still prefer a number of Kylie songs more than this, and i'm guessing at least one of them is in your top 2.

I'm preparing myself for a shock #1. :lol: :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Yes, this was the song that really introduced me to Kylie. I am glad to see it placed so high. :)
Vote for your favorite Christmas songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby heppolo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:01 pm

I suppose Where The Wild Roses Grow is somewhere at the top
heppolo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:44 am

"Get Outta My Way" is a big grower. I really appreciate it now. The same applies to "Spinning Around".
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:18 am

WRITTEN BY: Cathy Dennis and Rob Davis
TAKEN FROM: Fever [2001]
CHART POSITION: 1

Can't Get You Out Of My Head was the first single released from Kylie's second-biggest selling album in the UK. The song is one of her signature hits and her biggest selling single worldwide, shifting over 5m copies. After a strong comeback with Light Years, CGYOOMH propelled Kylie to worldwide stardom again and between late 2001 and late 2002 she was one of the biggest popstars on the planet. A combination of hypnotic dance production, "la la la"s and a futuristic and iconic video was the perfect recipe for success. S Club 7 and Sophie Ellis-Bextor turned down the chance to record it after hearing the demo, but when Kylie heard it she was beside herself with panic as she wanted to record it so badly. It really is a 'once in a career' hit and goes down in history as one of those songs that demonstrates the perfect pop song.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:40 am

WRITTEN BY: Mike Stock, Matt Aitken and Pete Waterman
TAKEN FROM: Rhythm Of Love [1990]
CHART POSITION: 2

Better The Devil You Know is officially my favourite Kylie Minogue song! Released at her first single of the 90s and launching Kylie with a new sexier image, it marks for me the beginning of her transition from the Neighbours actress having a go at being a popstar to being a fully fledged artist. It was written in response to Kylie leaving Neighbours and ending her relationship with Jason Donovan to begin dating Michael Hutchence. Still firmly a SAW production, it adds elements of dance and electronica to a familiar pop production, updating that 80s sound with a stronger bassline. The video was slick, sexy and mature and her kicking off the Showgirl tour with a performance of this in the now iconic showgirl outfit affirmed not just how brilliant the track is, but her whole career to that date.

Thanks for all the comments! Hopefully a popular winner.
Thriller

Postby JakeP » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:56 am

Your top 2 is flawless Thriller. <3

I absolutely love Better the devil you know even though i was only a baby when this was in the charts. Its a song i discovered much later but it truly is amazing.

But i must say i adore Can't get you out of my head more. This song was insanely magnificent and i remember watching Kylie performing on CD:UK and it was just one of those undeniable moments of glorious pop that i adore so much.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Carbon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:01 pm

I like the #1, one of her best older songs

#2 is a good (and iconic!) song, but too overexposed and I can't really enjoy it that much
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Fan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:02 pm

CCYOOMH was definitely a career-defining moment for Kylie and will always be her most iconic song I think. While I do like it a lot, I can't help but feel it is slightly overrated. I could easily name 15 Kylie songs I prefer.

Like Better The Devil You Know, for example :P Such a anthem and good to see it as your #1.
Fan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:02 pm

So Tears On My Pillow (boring tripe), Where The Wild Roses Grow (overrated), The Loco-Motion (slightly naff) and Giving You Up (not aged well) didn't make it. Amongst some of her other earlier hits such as Never Too Late and Wouldn't Change A Thing which I deem inoffensive but unexciting. Especially For You VERY nearly slipped in!
Thriller

Postby Benny » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Fantastic number one, it's also my favourite Kylie song! :D
Benny
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:32 pm

Thriller wrote:So Tears On My Pillow (boring tripe), Where The Wild Roses Grow (overrated), The Loco-Motion (slightly naff) and Giving You Up (not aged well) didn't make it. Amongst some of her other earlier hits such as Never Too Late and Wouldn't Change A Thing which I deem inoffensive but unexciting. Especially For You VERY nearly slipped in!
Where Is The Feeling? is better than your #1, ha-ha
CGYOMH is the epitome of overrated in terms of Kylie's discography, I love the song, but objectively it's too repetitive.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:48 pm

#1 and #2 aren't among my favourite Kylie Songs, but they're still good songs

Was very interesting :)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Return to Personal Charts