Tears On My Pillow
No votes
Get Outta My Way
13%
Shocked
No votes

Total votes : 15

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:33 pm

"I Believe In You" was so cool! - Freaking catchy and the production is divine.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:20 am

WRITTEN BY: Steve Anderson, Dave Seaman and Owain Barton
TAKEN FROM: Kylie Minogue [1994]
CHART POSITION: 2

Confide In Me was the debut single from Kylie's fifth album and marked a turning point in her career that saw her break free of the dance-pop mould and experiment with new sounds. The song is crititically acclaimed and hailed as one of the most iconic and innovative moments of her career. Fusing Middle Eastern elements with an indie/dance production from Brothers In Rhythm, Kylie also entered new territories vocally and it felt she was really pushing herself as an artist. What a haunting and atmospheric track!
Thriller

Postby JakeP » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:29 am

Ahh Confide in me will always be regarded as Kylie's major turning point although i suppose Better the devil you know was the first milestone in Kylie turning points! :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Erotica » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:00 pm

Confide in me is a great song :)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:20 pm

I've thought it's going to be your #1, :o
I sincerely hope it's not going to be that SAW atrocity I should Be so lucky then
Are all duets included?
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:40 pm

• "Dreamy" and "hypnotic" are quite right! Although I did enjoy much of Body Language, "I Believe In You" was a welcome return to her disco/dance/pop side. I would've ranked it right around the same spot!
• I'm a little surprised to see "Confide In Me" outside the Top 10, but Top 15 is still plenty respectable! I often struggle to appreciate Kylie's more experimental/out-of-left-field moments ("Where The Wild Roses Grow", "Kids", "2 Hearts", etc.), but this is a prime example of how she can stray away from pop/dance and still completely hook me. Those sweeping strings, almost spoken-vocal verses, and haunting, ballad-like chorus all come together to create something really brilliant. The video's definitely among her most fascinating (although the super-bright colors are a pretty jarring contrast to the song itself, but I'm sure that was deliberate/part of the point.)
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Thriller » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:10 pm

WRITTEN BY: Kylie Minogue, Dan Carey and Emilíana Torrini
TAKEN FROM: Body Language [2003]
CHART POSITION: 1

Slow was the lead single from Body Language and is Kylie's last #1 single in the UK. As far as lead singles go, they don't get much more unconventional than Slow and between her live performances and the video she made people sit up and listen. Riding on the crest of the Fever wave, whatever she'd released would've done well but I love how different Slow was with its breathy, seductive vocal across a pulsing, 80s-electo, minimal production. It was innovative, hypnotic and it's Kylie's favourite song of her career!
Thriller

Postby Mainshow » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Two iconic track which deserved to be inside your Top 10, tbh ;)
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:33 pm

Slow was ok but maybe it was the simplicity or minimalist feel of the song, but i always thought it lacked that certain something to really make the song stand out. For me, this is my least favourite out of all of Kylie's #1 singles. :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:52 am

Slow is one of my favourite Kylie songs. I just how sensual and sexy it is and the video is pretty perfect. The 'read my body language' line is pure heaven.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:59 am

WRITTEN BY: Kylie Minogue, Richard Stannard, Julian Gallagher & John Themis
TAKEN FROM: Light Years [2000]
CHART POSITION: 10

Please Stay was the fourth and final UK single from Light Years, giving Christmas 2000 a Latin pop flavour. It's one of her most forgotten gems IMO, and doesn't get half the credit it deserves. It's one of her more mature pop moments, a speedy little number with lots of flair and seduction. I love the hopefulness of the bridge that shifts in tone to a more urgent chorus as the production lifts it slightly louder. Listen to it now and remind yourselves of its excellence!
Thriller

Postby heppolo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:10 am

one of her most forgotten gems
not as forgotten as "Put Yourself In My Place"
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:38 pm

"Please Stay" is totally cute and I agree, it's very much forgotten. Even as a quite huge fan of Kylie's, I usually forget it exists :D - But it's really entertaining and I like it's uplifting and happy "Latin Pop" sound ;)
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Slow is really good and Please stay too
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Hmm i don't mind Please stay but it's not a Kylie i've ever been drawn to. However, as far as singles from Light years go, you've got the best ones still to come so its all good. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:40 am

• After becoming a Kylie fan during the Fever era, I remember being totally shocked and horrified when I logged onto Kylie's official website, heard "Slow" playing, and discovered that it was the lead single from her next project! I was expecting Fever Part 2/more brilliant dance-pop gems, but "Slow" dared to venture into this minimalist, eletropop territory. Over time, it grew on me in a VERY big way, and now stands as one of my favorite Kylie tracks. Like I've been saying a lot lately, I'd rank it in a very similar spot! It's so damn sexy - and I had no idea it was her self-proclaimed favorite!
• Massively pleased to see "Please Stay" this high :D It's tricky to put into words exactly why it impacts me as much as it does, but something about the combination of a strummed guitar, dance beats, and its incredibly infectious hook just sends me to heaven. The lyrics are a bit sad, almost desperate, as she pleads for her love interest to savor what could be their last night together...but the upbeat pace of the music adds this sense of hope, of confidence that he will indeed decide to stay. That more positive tone is mirrored in the video (the last couple minutes of which always make me smile, especially the pool table dance routine!)
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:59 pm

"Confide in Me" is beautiful.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:41 pm

WRITTEN BY: Mike Stock, Matt Aitken & Pete Waterman
TAKEN FROM: Rhythm Of Love [1990]
CHART POSITION: 6

What Do I Have To Do was the third single from Kylie's third album and I often pair it with Shocked as her closest moments to 90s dance. During the rave culture years, SAW were smart to give Kylie's music a dance edge and this track is a perfect example of straddling dance and pop 50/50. I love that pumping intro, building anticipation with the whoosh effect and then we're straight into the "love you! love you!" chants over 90s piano chords. It's such a euphoric moment in her vast catalogue and she has stated she loves performing it live.
Thriller

Postby JakeP » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

What do i have to you is easily one of Kylie's best singles from her early years. I agree that as soon as the song starts, it just grabs my attention and builds up so amazingly to the "ahhh" backing vocals before Kylie delivers some sublime vocals. Everything about this song is pure early 90s magic. <3 :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby Thriller » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:08 am

WRITTEN BY: Kylie Minogue, Guy Chambers and Robbie Williams
TAKEN FROM: Light Years [2000]
CHART POSITION: n/a

Your Disco Needs You wasn't a single in the UK but it was a top 40 hit in Australia and Germany - ironically, Parlophone steered away from releasing it in the UK as they didn't want to stereotype her as a gay interest artist. A firm fan favourite and a staple highlight performance of her live shows, it's a balls-to-the-wall disco stomper, taking influences from I Will Survive and Go West. It's one of the most exciting and energetic songs of her career and that operatic note towards the end tops it all off.
Thriller

Postby JakeP » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Aww, such a shame Your disco needs you was never a proper single. It's surely got to be the one of best album tracks Kylie's ever recorded. It's unashamedly camp and flamboyant, all the more reason to love it. :lol: :P

Shame on Parlophone! :evil: I'm sure Pet Shop Boys releasing Go west didn't harm their career. In fact, can you imagine if this had been a single in the UK. Then Kylie released Can't get you out of my head as the first new single from Fever. :o

What a time it would've been to be a Kylie fan. :D Please stay does pale in comparison although that probably made Can't get you out of my head stand out even more upon its premiere.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:35 pm

I had no idea Robbie Williams co-wrote Your Disco Needs You! :o
And shame at the label for never releasing this in the UK, could have been a massive. Definitely a highlight of her back catalogue and one of the campest songs she has ever done (and that says something :lol: :lol: ).
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:13 pm

WTF! For real?! - Her record label refused to release one of her best songs ever in the UK because of being afraid of labelling her as a "gay icon"? - WTF.

Sometimes the UK feels like a totally different place than continental Europe, like being super prude and a bit too conservative. I mean, "Toxic" got banned at first as well because it was too sexy to be shown on TV before 10 pm or something? - And didn't they cut the kiss between two men in "Firework" by Katy Perry?

I am in shock.

I just bought the physical copy of "Your Disco Needs You" like a few weeks ago (for 0,49€). :D
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:35 pm

"Your Disco Needs You" is my favourite Kylie song. It's unadulterated, unapologetic pop in its most camp form. What more could you want?
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Mainshow wrote:WTF! For real?! - Her record label refused to release one of her best songs ever in the UK because of being afraid of labelling her as a "gay icon"? - WTF.
LOL :lol:

It's true, and it doesn't make any sense. Madonna released Vogue which is surely one of the gayest songs of all time, and that song didn't exactly destroy Madonna's career. If anything, it enhanced it and deservedly became a classic song amongst all the others.
JakeP
Manager

Return to Personal Charts