Mainshow Goes Diva: Ariana Grande (#9 - #8)

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby luckyONE » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:00 pm

It's their best collab so far. I love Nicki's verse.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Fan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Mainshow wrote:Your comeback hit my thread(s) so hard :D What a massive comment! Thanks!

When we had that dinner in London, I was in a full Britney mode and tbh, even though I still like GaGa, I just think that she's a bit "not authentic" and more of a musical act. Anyway, she has amazing singles and massive tunes under her belt and as previously mentioned above, she's my 11th most scrobbled female pop artist of alltimes :D

I am shocked you have so many negative words for "Marry The Night" since it's the only single taken from "Born This Way" I truly enjoy. That album was quite a big "NO" from me apart from that song and "Judas" (was close to be part of my top 10), "Heavy Metal Lover", "Black Jesus Amen Fashion", "Government Hooker" and maybe "Bloody Mary".

Yay! Finally someone who really loves seing "Joanne" as part of My Top 10! It's one of her most beautiful songs and it deserves to be huge! I am glad to read it gives you chills :D

Hehe, "Bad Romance" is indeed massive and it deserved all the success it got but I still believe it aged terribly and I am not into those "mama ramama" sounds GaGa used to throw in randomly between phrases at that time. I am glad it gives you so much joy and has become one of your favourite songs of alltime, though! But #8 is quite good for me, tbh, I even thought of not including it on my countdown for a while because the last places were so effing competitive!

"Just Dance" is jsut a well-produced pop song with a freaking catchy hook, I agree.. but oh well, when it comes to pop songs, the lyrics don't have to make sense all the time.

"Alejandro" - I loved reading your love letter and you can always come back to this thread and say "iconic" as often as it pleases you haha. I don't dislike the music video.. I just think it's the beginning of GaGa's "downfall" as she has become quite off-putting for the general public, to some extent.
I have never thought of the portrayed contrast of the dark and cold music video and the summer-ish and warm song itself! Interesthing thought!

I am glad I was able to surprise you and others with placing "Eh Eh" in my countdown. I truly love it! I miss fun GaGa!

I love what you wrote about "Telephone" and I totally agree! I love that line as well... in fact, the lyrics are way too repetitive and uneventful to call it a well-written song but the whole concept/metaphor/idea of not being able to break up because one is about to dance all night long is just genius (for a pop song).

Since time has changed, I do count promotional and radio singles for my countdowns. I mean, "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" and "Eh Eh" haven't been singles here in Germany either.... "Dance In The Dark" deserves to be huge! For a few years, that song was my favourite GaGa track (maybe together with "LoveGAme"),.

Sad to read that I disappointed you with my entire Top 2 because I absolutely adore both songs so much.

I have never really liked "Paparazzi" and "Perfect Illusion" must be one of the most horrible tracks by a female artist I have ever heard.... I like "Million Reasons" but since GaGa's discography is quite massive, it was not even close....

Thank you again for your comment and hope to see you when my Ariana coutndown kicks off.
Haha, I see. And being to distracted by the waiter as well :lol: :lol:

Don't get me wrong though, most of my comments were about the video for Marry The Night. The song it self is glorious, although I do love the record in general. The Queen is one of my favourite album tracks, I adore Scheisse (you don't?? :o) and The Edge Of Glory would most certainly be in my top 10 GaGa songs. Just a shame about the awful music video.

I don't think Alejandro was the start of the downfall, I remember not everyone was too keen on the video but the song did very well and Born This Way smashed afterwards as well. I think it started around the time Judas was released, together with the Born This Way album, and she was being totally weird and OTT with her behaviour. ArtPop just almost ended her career. Thank god for Joanne and the Super Bowl!

Eh Eh is just really really cute. I remember listening to that song a lot. The video was super sweet as well.

Ah, Paparazzi is absolutely amazing. Most definitely one of her best for me. I always love it when she performs that one as well.

I am afraid I won't be very active for Ariana here, barely know any of her songs. Just waiting for your Geri Halliwell countdown!! :P
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Erotica wrote:Yes, a good song, even though many didn't like it. Much better than the other two singles from the album. The Pharrell tracks are better in general.
Wow, that's what I call an unpopular opinion :lol:
Tbh, "The Light Is Coming" is a banger and it doesn't deserve to be disliked by many but I still believe that there are a few tracks on Sweetener which are better (spoiler alert) :P

That said, I am glad I was able to find a way to kick off this countdown by pleasing you with my choice since you dislike most of Ariana's musical output.

JakeP wrote:I like The light is coming but it did get a bit boring quite quickly for me. I find the official singles far more endearing to listen to.
So, let's hope the other singles of her latest project will make an appearance on my countdown as well ;) I am glad you like the track, though!

luckyONE wrote:It's their best collab so far. I love Nicki's verse.
You really seem to love this song! Nicki's verse is indeed great! A pity there's not another one later in the song!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:20 pm

The Light is Coming is such a frustrating listen to me because of that damn sample. Even if it were just used more sparingly, I could handle it, but it is through the whole damn song when what I really came for are Ari and Nicki not some random. I just feel it's a lost opportunity as a result.
Vote for songs in the Summertime Madness Tournament!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Fan wrote:
Mainshow wrote:Your comeback hit my thread(s) so hard :D What a massive comment! Thanks!

When we had that dinner in London, I was in a full Britney mode and tbh, even though I still like GaGa, I just think that she's a bit "not authentic" and more of a musical act. Anyway, she has amazing singles and massive tunes under her belt and as previously mentioned above, she's my 11th most scrobbled female pop artist of alltimes :D

I am shocked you have so many negative words for "Marry The Night" since it's the only single taken from "Born This Way" I truly enjoy. That album was quite a big "NO" from me apart from that song and "Judas" (was close to be part of my top 10), "Heavy Metal Lover", "Black Jesus Amen Fashion", "Government Hooker" and maybe "Bloody Mary".

Yay! Finally someone who really loves seing "Joanne" as part of My Top 10! It's one of her most beautiful songs and it deserves to be huge! I am glad to read it gives you chills :D

Hehe, "Bad Romance" is indeed massive and it deserved all the success it got but I still believe it aged terribly and I am not into those "mama ramama" sounds GaGa used to throw in randomly between phrases at that time. I am glad it gives you so much joy and has become one of your favourite songs of alltime, though! But #8 is quite good for me, tbh, I even thought of not including it on my countdown for a while because the last places were so effing competitive!

"Just Dance" is jsut a well-produced pop song with a freaking catchy hook, I agree.. but oh well, when it comes to pop songs, the lyrics don't have to make sense all the time.

"Alejandro" - I loved reading your love letter and you can always come back to this thread and say "iconic" as often as it pleases you haha. I don't dislike the music video.. I just think it's the beginning of GaGa's "downfall" as she has become quite off-putting for the general public, to some extent.
I have never thought of the portrayed contrast of the dark and cold music video and the summer-ish and warm song itself! Interesthing thought!

I am glad I was able to surprise you and others with placing "Eh Eh" in my countdown. I truly love it! I miss fun GaGa!

I love what you wrote about "Telephone" and I totally agree! I love that line as well... in fact, the lyrics are way too repetitive and uneventful to call it a well-written song but the whole concept/metaphor/idea of not being able to break up because one is about to dance all night long is just genius (for a pop song).

Since time has changed, I do count promotional and radio singles for my countdowns. I mean, "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" and "Eh Eh" haven't been singles here in Germany either.... "Dance In The Dark" deserves to be huge! For a few years, that song was my favourite GaGa track (maybe together with "LoveGAme"),.

Sad to read that I disappointed you with my entire Top 2 because I absolutely adore both songs so much.

I have never really liked "Paparazzi" and "Perfect Illusion" must be one of the most horrible tracks by a female artist I have ever heard.... I like "Million Reasons" but since GaGa's discography is quite massive, it was not even close....

Thank you again for your comment and hope to see you when my Ariana coutndown kicks off.
Haha, I see. And being to distracted by the waiter as well :lol: :lol:

Don't get me wrong though, most of my comments were about the video for Marry The Night. The song it self is glorious, although I do love the record in general. The Queen is one of my favourite album tracks, I adore Scheisse (you don't?? :o) and The Edge Of Glory would most certainly be in my top 10 GaGa songs. Just a shame about the awful music video.

I don't think Alejandro was the start of the downfall, I remember not everyone was too keen on the video but the song did very well and Born This Way smashed afterwards as well. I think it started around the time Judas was released, together with the Born This Way album, and she was being totally weird and OTT with her behaviour. ArtPop just almost ended her career. Thank god for Joanne and the Super Bowl!

Eh Eh is just really really cute. I remember listening to that song a lot. The video was super sweet as well.

Ah, Paparazzi is absolutely amazing. Most definitely one of her best for me. I always love it when she performs that one as well.

I am afraid I won't be very active for Ariana here, barely know any of her songs. Just waiting for your Geri Halliwell countdown!! :P
That waitor was f**king eye-candy :D

Ah, I see.. I am glad you still like the song! "The Queen" and "Scheiße" aren't my cup of tea. bh, I think "born This Way" amnd "Artpop" are way too overproduced and artsy-fartsy. I just enjoy listening to a few tracks (sadly).

I just think that the "Alejandro" video was the first "huge" thing which made GaGa disconnect with the general public and each furhter step hurt her brand and her image even more. - I am glad (like you said) that "Joanne", the SuperBowl and "A Star Is Born" revived her career and I am excited to see what's about to come. She still has it in her....

Maybe you can sneak in now and then :D Highly appreciated since your comments are always enjoyable xD
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:26 pm

cheapthrills wrote:The Light is Coming is such a frustrating listen to me because of that damn sample. Even if it were just used more sparingly, I could handle it, but it is through the whole damn song when what I really came for are Ari and Nicki not some random. I just feel it's a lost opportunity as a result.
I partly agree since the sample is indeed very repetitive and it might 'overshadow' the song but on the other hand, I think that this sample is basically part of the song's essence. To my liking, it makes the song more interesting and I think it strangely fits to Ariana mumbling "The light is coming and gives back everything the darkness stole" :D - Hopefully, you will like the upcoming singles more ;)
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:35 pm

#9: "Everday (feat. Future)" (2017)

Another collaboration follows "The Light Is Coming": Being ranked #9, the fourth and final official single taken from Dangerous Woman falls on this countdown. - "Everday (feat. Future)" has grown on me over this year. Strangely, I didn't even know that the song got released as a single and I honestly thought that the Dangerous Woman Era ended after the release of "Side To Side" :lol: - However, my trip to Poland this year made me fall in love with this track after I saw the song's music video for the very first time. I came back home and had the chorus of that song stuck on my mind. Whilst others might think that this song is a bit generic, I love Ariana's dreamy vocals in the verse and the cool and fun beat in the chorus. Amazing single!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:43 pm

#8: "Break Free (feat. Zedd)" (2014)

Ariana is indeed the Kween of Collabs: "Break Free (feat. Zedd)" sits on #8 on Mainshow Goes Diva: Ariana Grande. This electropop masterpiece made Ariana Grande one of my favourite female artists and it was the first song I have heard by her (and realising that the artist was called Ariana Grande). The fact that the song was produced by a German DJ maybe helped a bit to rise awareness :D - I still have great memories connected to the song since it got released at a time when I was still hitting the club. I don't care about the song being basic, immature (sound-wise).. it served its purpose and it one of the most unapologetic "straight-in-your-face" pop masterpieces with an infectious hook of this century!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:01 pm

Break free is kinda annoying and Everyday some sort of boring and forgettable.
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Erotica wrote:Break free is kinda annoying and Everyday some sort of boring and forgettable.
:o - #harsh :lol: - I am not very surprised, though. I hope you will enjoy the next update a bit more :D
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:53 pm

"The Light Is Coming" is decent, but not top 10-worthy, in my opinion, though I do love the titular lyric, The light is coming to take back everything the darkness stole.

I think "Break Free" is her most overrated song to date.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:06 am

"Break Free" is THAT Ariana bop. The first song by her that I liked. :D
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Fan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Mainshow wrote:That waitor was f**king eye-candy :D

Ah, I see.. I am glad you still like the song! "The Queen" and "Scheiße" aren't my cup of tea. bh, I think "born This Way" amnd "Artpop" are way too overproduced and artsy-fartsy. I just enjoy listening to a few tracks (sadly).

I just think that the "Alejandro" video was the first "huge" thing which made GaGa disconnect with the general public and each furhter step hurt her brand and her image even more. - I am glad (like you said) that "Joanne", the SuperBowl and "A Star Is Born" revived her career and I am excited to see what's about to come. She still has it in her....

Maybe you can sneak in now and then :D Highly appreciated since your comments are always enjoyable xD
I still don't think he was :lol: :oops:

Aren't you impressed with her German in Scheisse? :P

Hm, yes. I do see your point. There were quite some negative comments around the Alejandro video, even from her own fans. It was a bit out-there, especially compared to the stuff she did before which was way more mainstream.

Well, I know Break Free. But I strongly dislike that one. Sorry :oops:
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:00 pm

• I go back-and-forth with "The Light Is Coming": sometimes that sample sticks out too much and distracts me throughout the song, while other times I can still get really into it. I definitely appreciate the overall theme/message of the song, and there's a LOT of great lines to be found: "what did she say? what did he say? you don't listen, 'cause you know everything..." The pre-chorus part in particular is SUPER catchy: "they are so confused, who cares about the rational?" If it wasn't for "Get Well Soon," I'd agree that it's Pharrell's best contribution to Sweetener too.

• I'm still a bit bitter about "Everyday" getting selected as the 4th single and completely killing the momentum she had going after "Side To Side" became that era's biggest smash :oops: #teamgreedy (though there's at least a couple other songs I would've picked over "Everyday"). Single status aside, it's a fine enough sex jam, and the beat does make an impression, like you mentioned.

• I ADORE "Break Free," so it's cool to learn that it's the song that made you into a fan! It has some of the most replay value out of all her songs for me (it's her entry with the most weeks spent on my chart, tied with "Moonlight"). So catchy, and so anthemic! Nonsensical grammar has never sounded so good. :cry:
phoenix98
Legend

Return to Personal Charts