Mainshow Goes Diva: Katy Perry (#2 + #1)

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Fan wrote:
Mainshow wrote:Poor Javine. I still feel so bad for her :( Failing in Popstars and Eurovision :(

Meh.

Hehe, but #katymates sounds so much better but since you don't like "Rise", I think that we will never really become #musicalmates but I am still glad that you appreciate the old Katy as much as I do. Maybe the melodies of the older tracks aren't as catchy as her new ones but the tracks felt more natural.. so I agree!
Wow, "E.T." :( - I am glad that "Hey Hey Hey" will take the thrown of your least favourite Katy single because "E.T." is flawless <3
Poor Javine indeed :(

Haha! I was at my mum's the other day and she started talking about how she watched a Katy documentary and how much she enjoyed it, so maybe you could be #katymates with her?
:( :( Let's just keep it at #bitterballenmates. Now finally something we agree on! It did indeed sound way more natural, at the same time I think as song as Hot N Cold is incredibly catchy. Maybe even catchier than some of her current stuff.

Bon Apetit has grown on me a lot. I absolutely hated it at first, but I do like it quite a lot now. The video is pretty damn amazing! I wouldn't have put it in my top 5 Katy song however, but I appreciate it.
Is your mum as funny as you are? Maybe you should introduce me to her :D - But being #bitterballenmates with you is fine with me. When are we going to grab some more? Cant wait!

Wow.. I am surprised you hated BA at first but I am glad it grew on you since the song as well as its music video are amazing (at least, you agree with me on the MV) :D

stevyy wrote:ET and BA are two really really strong songs.

I do not know why so many ppl dislike Bon Appétit... it is a bop and timeless and an evergreen in the making. The video is bliss.
Thx, glad you appreciate those two tracks that much! - Strangely, people in this thread seem to like BA (I had the overall impression that people would hate it; even here on Ukmix). It's so freaking cool and in my opinion, one of Katy's finest singles (I wouldn't have placed it that high otherwise) :D
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Tansike wrote:Time to catch up... :oops:

Rihanna
#6: "Diamonds" (2012)
#5: "Man Down" (2011)
#4: "Pon De Replay" (2005)
#3: "Don't Stop The Music" (2007)
#2: "Umbrella (feat. Jay-Z)" (2007)
#1: "Stay (feat. Mikky Ekko)" (2013)
I already commented on #10-#7 so i started with #6...
Rihanna's Singles Discography is so incredibly strong, it's no surprise i like all the remaining songs. Actually there are like only two or three singles she has released that i don't like so i'm glad none of them appear here... the #1 is still a nice surprise, as many people would have "Don't Stop The Music", "Diamonds" or "Umbrella" as their #1 i think. Definitely a deserved #1 and a strong ballad. My #1 would be "Unfaithful" though :oops:

t.A.T.u.
#7: "Not Gonna Get Us" (2003)
#2: "All The Things She Said" (2002)
#1: "All About Us" (2005)
I'm not that familiar with t.A.T.u.'s discography so that's all i know from them when it comes to your Top10 :oops:
Though "All About Us" is BRILLIANT, one of my most favorite songs and videos EVER while the other two are amazing as well. I think i may even prefer "Not Gonna Get Us" to "All The Things She Said".

Katy Perry
#10: "Dark Horse (feat. Juicy J)" (2013)
#9: "Chained To The Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley)" (2017)
#8: "Thinking Of You" (2009)
#7: "Waking Up In Vegas" (2009)
#6: "Rise" (2016)
#5: "E.T. (feat. Kanye West)" (2011)
#4: "Bon Appétit (feat. Migos)" (2017)
Another current Pop Girl with an incredibly strong discography!
"Thinking Of You", "Waking Up In Vegas" and "Rise" all belong to her weaker songs to me but i still enjoy them. I'm just a bit sad they all appear here so there may be some great songs that won't be on the list... :cry:
"Bon Appétit" is a BOP. Should have been huuuge... one of my faves this year, glad you like it that much as well!
DH and "E.T." both would be easily in my Top5. Love them <3
Thanks for catching up #busyboy :D

I am glad you strongly agree on my choices when it comes to Rihanna. You didn't drop the titles of the two/three singels by Rihanna you don't like at all but being happy that none of them made my list. Which songs were you hinting at? - Maybe we agree on them :D - I do love all songs you mentioned when it comes to the #1s contenders but strangely, it was pretty obvious to me that I had to place "Stay" on top. It's a masterpiece and I am glad you agree about it being amazing!

t.A.T.u's discography is pretty amazing. You should take some time and check the song out I dropped on my countdown. They've been so entertaining and exciting and scandalous. It's a shame their (international) career was so short. I am glad you love my #1 as much as I do, though!

Hehe. When it comes to Perry, I am pretty sure I will disappoint a few guys since there was no room for some of her worlwide hits (she has too many of them); but I am glad you liked each track so far! - Wow, surprised you would place "Dark Horse" that high! - Is it your favourite track on PRISM?
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:34 pm

#3: "Unconditionally" (2013)

It's time to kick off the Top 3 of "Mainshow Goes Diva: Katy Perry" with an underrated masterpiece!

I think that Katy Perry will be remembered for her massive fun pop bops which conquered each existing international chart but she has a great repertoire of emotional, honest and authentic sounding ballads which tends to be forgotten. "Unconditionally" sadly isn't an exception. After getting several #1s, people had high expectations for the second single taken from "Prism" and compared to her other singles, "Unconditionally" make come across as an underperformance, chart-wise.

Anyway, I love it that Katy sounds more mature and serious on this power ballad and in my opinion, it's Katy Perry's best music video ever. She was even awarded a Golden Artichoke at the Mainies 2013 for "Best Music Video Of The Year"

#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:02 pm

In my opinion this song is very weak. Definitely the worst single from Prism
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:00 pm

Mainshow wrote:
Is your mum as funny as you are? Maybe you should introduce me to her :D - But being #bitterballenmates with you is fine with me. When are we going to grab some more? Cant wait!

Wow.. I am surprised you hated BA at first but I am glad it grew on you since the song as well as its music video are amazing (at least, you agree with me on the MV) :D
Haha, not AS funny ofcourse (jk), but she is lovely though! I should definitely introduce you, so you two can become #katymates. Yeah! You should come around again :D I even discovered vegetarian bitterballen the other day, haven't tried them myself yet.

Ah, I was secretly hoping Unconditionally would be your surprise #1, but #3 is still very good. Especially since it's such an underrated song, both by Katy songs and the general public. To me, this is the best thing she has ever done (her Everytime so to say), I just completely LOVE the song right from the first few seconds. It's such a beautiful song, shows a different side of her, and the video is beyond stunning. The 'acceptance is the key, to be truly free' is such an imporant song lyric to me and was especially during the time when the song was released. So it always bring back those memores.

Curious to see your top 2 as quite a few of my favourite Katy singles are missing.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:11 pm

I will admit that the "Bon Appétit" video is good, but the song is mediocre, well below Katy's high standards.

"Unconditionally" is good, though. I didn't appreciate it much at the time of its release, but it's grown on me, due in great part, I suppose, to Matt's championing of it.
If grass can grow through cement, love can find you at every time in your life.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:12 pm

Aww, i really struggled with Unconditionally, i think the pronunciation put me off more than anything. I suppose it was an ok song, but it never made my chart at the time.
JakeP
Manager

Postby luckyONE » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:22 pm

"Unconditionally" is cute (even reached #1 on my weekly charts), but I think it hasn't aged well.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Benny » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:51 pm

I had completey forgotten about the existence of 'Unconditionally'. I remember liking the video but finding the song just average.
Benny
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:35 pm

Unconditionally was never a fave of mine, seemed a bit underwhelming for a 2nd single. though Katy's forte are generally catchy bops, not songs like this one
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Oh, I am so freaking busy at the moment. I hope I will have more time next year to keep this thread updated because there are stilll so many female acts I would like to cover :(

@Erotica
Oh, I was kind of expecting to have chosen a very unpopular song being part of my Top 3. It's a pity we don't agree on "Unconditionally".

@Fan
I tried vegetarian bitterballen once...when I was in Venlo. Personally, I don't mind them but the original version is still the best ;)
Oh, really? What did make you think that "Unconditionally" would be my #1? - I mean, I am pretty sure that most people are surprised it even made my Top 10 :D - It's such an underrated masterpiece, though. I am glad you appreciate it the same way as I do! - I had no clue the song has such a special meaning to you! That's awesome! - Hope you like the Top 2 as well.

@JSparksFan
Oh, even though I do love some Katy, I don't think that she has a very high standard, tbh :D - I am glad you started to appreciate "Unconditionally" though ;)

@JakeP
:( - Hope the next two songs are more your cup of tea ;)

@luckyONE
I am glad it reached the top of your chart! That's brilliant! - Personally, I think it's one of the few Katy singles which have aged very well (thanks to not being "en vogue" at the time of its release like "Roar", "California Girls" or even "E.T." which sound pretty dated to me (and I think "Chained To The Rhythm" and "Swish Swih" will have the same faith),.

@Benny
Oh, you did forget about this masterpiece? - Hope you will start to like the track someday (the same way like JSparksFan came around xD)

@Carbon
That's why I love it so much, tbh. It shows a more mature and serious side of Katy.
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:10 pm

Erotica wrote:In my opinion this song is very weak. Definitely the worst single from Prism
I have to agree with the first part, though i think "Birthday" is even weaker... :oops:

Definitely one of her weakest singles to me, somehow i never connected with "Unconditionally".
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 pm

#2: "I Kissed A Girl" (2008)

"I Kissed A Girl" is my favourite track released in 2008 (together with Britney's "Piece Of Me", obviously).
The instantly catchy pop masterpiece caught my attention shortly after its release. The theme has been quite controversial at that time, Katy's distinctive voice and her rock-ish/pop-ish New Wave-sound made it so special. It was the perfect "debut" single to introduce Katy Perry to pop fans all around the world. - The middle 8 part and the chorus are fierce!

#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 pm

#1: "Teenage Dream" (2010)

The midtempo cheesefest is one of my favourite pop songs of all-time, tbh! - A compelling chorus, Katy's distinctive voice, a dreamy sound and the feel-good vibes make this song the ultimate sing-along track for the summer! - Even though Dr. Luke's a douchebag, Katy, Max & Dr. Luke were a dream team and this song is basically the best work they have ever created!

------------------------

Mainshow goes Diva: Katy Perry

Thanks again for taking your time and commenting on my countdown. I hope you enjoyed this edition of "Mainshow Goes Diva" although there was a long break in between. I think I have to postpone the next edition to 2018 due to my very busy schedule at the moment but I hope you liked my Top 10 of Katy Perry singles! - Personally, I think that her latest album is slightly underrated and I hope that she will have big(ger) hits on her hands for upcoming release. Anyway, here's my final Top 10 of "Mainshow Goes Diva: Katy Perry"
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Benny » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:44 pm

'I Kissed A Girl' is incredibly catchy, it was my favourite song of 2008. It has lost some of its appeal over the years but I still like it.
'Teenage Dream' is okay, though far from my favourite song by Katy.

Great countdown, intrigued to see which diva is next! :D
Benny
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:44 pm

Amazing top 2, I kissed a girl is easily one of the most defining pop songs of the 00s. Teenage dream well, the whole era was spectacular and this was definitely up there with Katy's best singles.

Poor Roar :cry:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Erotica » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:50 pm

I feared that Firework will be in the top 2, glad it isn't

Teenage dream is a really nice pop song, I like it :)

sorry I never really liked I kissed a girl though :/ somehow the only song I love from that album is Waking up in Vegas, the others are average or bad for me. I never got the fascination about I kissed a girl
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Top 2 is amazing.

"Teenage Dream" is probably Top 3 for me, too. It's between "California Gurls", "Teenage Dream" and "Roar".

"I Kissed A Girl" has aged better than "Hot N Cold" for me, even though I prefered the latter one back in the day. It's definitely an iconic song IMO. 8-)
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:27 pm

"I Kissed a Girl" is a classic! I was attending a staunchly religious high school at the time of its release, so the song was a taboo subject. I didn't care, though; I was a very open supporter!

"Teenage Dream" best represents the kind of artist Katy is. It was an era-defining song for her - in more ways than one - with her sexiest music video to date.

I'm a tad disappointed that "Firework" didn't feature, but great list otherwise!
If grass can grow through cement, love can find you at every time in your life.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby ConstantinosV » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 am

i feel like some songs are missing from Katy's top 10 but #1 & #2 are the rightful holders ^_^ gj mainshow
ConstantinosV
Manager

Postby Fan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:54 pm

Mainshow wrote:@Fan
I tried vegetarian bitterballen once...when I was in Venlo. Personally, I don't mind them but the original version is still the best ;)
Oh, really? What did make you think that "Unconditionally" would be my #1? - I mean, I am pretty sure that most people are surprised it even made my Top 10 :D - It's such an underrated masterpiece, though. I am glad you appreciate it the same way as I do! - I had no clue the song has such a special meaning to you! That's awesome! - Hope you like the Top 2 as well.
You did? On WhatsApp you were just making fun of me :cry: :lol:

I think I read somewhere you said you loved the video so much, so maybe that's why I was secretly hoping you would stan as much for the song as I did. It still did very well to end up so high in here though!!

Surprised to see I Kissed A Girl this high, would have missed my top 10. It's decent, but at times a bit problematic and I am not too sure about it anymore. Teenage Dream is much, much better though. Good #1. I do however miss soms Katy bops in here though.

Mt top 10 songs would probably be, in no order: Unconditionally, Wide Awake, Teenage Dream, Hot N Cold. Chained To The Rhythm, Waking Up In Vegas, Thinking Of You, The One That Got Away, Firework and Roar,
Shame Hot N Cold missed it :(
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts