Mainshow Goes Diva: Katy Perry (#4)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Mainshow » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:35 pm

Fan wrote:
Mainshow wrote:Yes, it's very soon actually. Can't wait to meet you guys in person (again/for the very first time).

Wow, if you really love "Something That I Need To Know" that much, you better go back to the Hurts - Desire Survivor Thread and save it again. There was a tie when it comes to deciding on the winner :D - I am glad they were able to come up with such a strong song on their fourth album.
Have you heard that Hurts did submit a song to BBC to represent the UK in Eurovision but apparently, BBC didn't want them to perform? That stupid broadcaster demanded a newcomer or a "TV legend" to sing that song written and produced by Hurts instead. BBC is so damn stupid! - I am so angry right now!

I haven't heard of that movie, I should check it out, though.

Haha, that's so funny that you know all those magazines (which I bought as well especially because of Britney xD). I think that Popcorn still exists :D

Yeah, Sertab won in 2003. Personally, I loved the Turkey entry as well but I prefered Russia and Iceland :D

What a lovely coincidence that you bought the same singles like I did back in the day. I am glad we agree on the Top 2 (even you would change the winner).
Yes, me neither! Will be fun! :D

He, he. I did it right after reading your comment :lol: It just needs to win, by far the best song on the album (although I have the say, the album is general has grown a lot on me over the past few weeks). I hadn't heard of that, no! Wow, what a massive shame. The UK usually has the most random acts to represent them :lol: They should have been happy Hurts wanted to do it in the first place!

I went to see another one today, The Mountain Between Us. With Idris 'the sex' Elba.

They always featured a lot of Britney as well, so good one. It does? That is pretty funny, we had a couple of similar Dutch magazines, but they have all disappeared now.

It is :)

So, yes, Katy. She can be a bit basic (and downright annoying these days), but I don't think she has ever released a single I disliked, so this will be another good one for me. Unconditionally for the win!

Dark Horse is not one of my favourites. It's a cool song, I do like it, but can totally see why you only charted it at #10. And did you honestly like the video? I always thought it was a big mess that didn't match the song AT ALL.
I haven't heard anything about this movie either :D

THE UK is like embarrassing when it comes to Eurovision. So much talent and they somehow end up having the most horrible songs and performances in Eurovision. (Spain and Germany come close, though) :D

It somehow saddens me that all those magazines are struggling nowadays. But it's the same with newspapers.. people have changed their reading habits and have chosen to read about all their favourite stories and celebs online (which makes totally sense). I think that [i]Popcorn, for example, got published on a monthly basis. I mean, the printed stories and information wouldn't be accurate at all after some time. But that was the way how I got to know pre-album release news (before having access to Internet).

I agree with you when it comes to Katy. Like I said, she can be generic (or basic like you said) but her discography is still so strong!

I am glad we somehow agree on "Dark Horse" as well. I honestly do love the music video. Of course, it doesn't match the song's lyrics at all and it's totally tacky but it's the "fun Perry" we all know and it somehow feels authentic to me. Also, I think she looks incredibly fierce as Cleopatra and like I said, I am a huge fan of ancient mythologies; that may have influenced my view on the video as well :D

Wayne wrote:I remember hating Dark Horse when it first came out, but looking back - it was a real step change for her, quite like it these days.
I'm glad you have changed your mind! I personally think it's one of her best singles especially since it's quite experimental and innovative for her ;)
(assuming that's what you meant by calling it a "real step change").

Erotica wrote:Dark Horse is one of her strongest singles, I like it :)
Agreed! ;)

JSparksFan wrote:"Dark Horse" is a bop - definitely Top 10 material. Great start!
Thanks! Glad you like it how I kicked off my Top 10 ;)
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:52 pm

#9: "Chained To The Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley)" (2017)

I might have not loved the song when it was released (I actually thought the song was underwhelming because of its quite monotonous chorus) but after having taken a closer look on the song's lyrics (+ after some more spins) the song massively grew on me. With this single, Katy embraces a political theme for a change and levels criticism on our societies. Having that thought in mind, the "monotnous chorus" clearly fits the idea of being a braindead robot in this world not being able to fight for human rights and get active due to enjoying high living standards and feeling comfortable with it.
However, I am very glad to have Skip Marley on this track because his verse gives the whole song an edgier, not so fluffy-poppy sound (which, again, perfectly matches the lyrics since he's the one who wants people to fight for their rights and stand up).

The song's music video is pretty amazing as well. I love the whole concept of people being in a theme/amusement park which may stand for human beings distracted by unnecessary things in their daily lives, they are taking selfies and are self-observed even though there are things threatening our lives.
A great message and it suits Katy pretty well, tbh! - It's something Madonna could have come up with during her American Life era (Madonna's sound and choice of words would have been edgier though) :D
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:13 am

Chained to the rhythm is a good song too :) makes me fear though that the worst ones will be higher though :lol:
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:24 am

Erotica wrote:Chained to the rhythm is a good song too :) makes me fear though that the worst ones will be higher though :lol:
I am glad you like it as well. Oh, but Katy still has - at least- 8 more amazing singles, don't you think? :D
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:24 pm

Mainshow wrote:
luckyONE wrote:"Dark Horse" is the "E.T." for me from the "PRISM" album. it has never been one of my favorites and i was surprised it was such a huge hit (happy for her, though because it kinda saved the "PRISM" era from just being a "1 hit era".) it also happens to be the lowest peaking single from the era on my personal charts. :lol:
so good to see it "only" at #10 and not much higher :P :P :P
Does this mean that you are not a huge fan of "E.T." either? - At what position did "Dark Horse" peak on your personal chart?
Tbh, there was another song which was fighting for that #10 spot and I had to listen to the two songs for like two consecutive days quite often to make a final decision.
it's definitely not one of my favorites (my second least favorite "Teenage Dream" single - only "The One That Got Away" is weaker (and "Part Of Me" if we count the re-release, too)). but since everybody seems to like it, i expect it to appear in your Top 10. :)
i just looked it up, "Dark Horse" peaked at #5 on my personal charts and actually ties with "Birthday" as the lowest peaking "PRISM" single - a Top 5 position definitely isn't bad at all. :) but it is the worst placing "Prism" single on the Decade To Date Charts - at #264 , "Birthday" places at #229.

I really like "Chained To The Rhythm", one of the few tracks from the current album that I still remember how it goes. :lol: the video was great!
she should've released the "WITNESS" album on "Chained To The Rhythm'"s back, she had nothing to lose, really.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Fan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:10 pm

Mainshow wrote:I haven't heard anything about this movie either :D

THE UK is like embarrassing when it comes to Eurovision. So much talent and they somehow end up having the most horrible songs and performances in Eurovision. (Spain and Germany come close, though) :D

It somehow saddens me that all those magazines are struggling nowadays. But it's the same with newspapers.. people have changed their reading habits and have chosen to read about all their favourite stories and celebs online (which makes totally sense). I think that [i]Popcorn, for example, got published on a monthly basis. I mean, the printed stories and information wouldn't be accurate at all after some time. But that was the way how I got to know pre-album release news (before having access to Internet).

I agree with you when it comes to Katy. Like I said, she can be generic (or basic like you said) but her discography is still so strong!

I am glad we somehow agree on "Dark Horse" as well. I honestly do love the music video. Of course, it doesn't match the song's lyrics at all and it's totally tacky but it's the "fun Perry" we all know and it somehow feels authentic to me. Also, I think she looks incredibly fierce as Cleopatra and like I said, I am a huge fan of ancient mythologies; that may have influenced my view on the video as well :D
I know.. Although I did like their entry this year quite a lot. And queen Javine back in 2004 ofcourse (the woman who almost ended up in Girls Aloud).

It is sad, especially as it feels like a part of my youth. But like you said, times have changed and people just check their music(news) online and aren't really interested in these magazines. And let's face it, they were pretty bad from a journalistic point of view.

Yeah, but it just felt like Dark Horse needed a dark, moody video. Not the fun stuff we know from Katy. Especially since the previous video from that era was fabulous.

Chained is lovely <3 I always like it when popstars get political and she did a great job. I literally LIVE for the last 20 seconds, the 'caaaause we are allll chained to the rhythm' is perfection.
The Brits performance was pretty epic as well :lol:
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:49 pm

I interpret the lyrics of "Chained to the Rhythm" to be more an assessment of the state of mind of the general public than a political statement. There's no call to action - at least no explicit one. At any rate, I really like the song, and I'd go as far as to say it's better than every song on American Life except "Nothing Fails".
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:37 pm

luckyONE wrote:
Mainshow wrote:
luckyONE wrote:"Dark Horse" is the "E.T." for me from the "PRISM" album. it has never been one of my favorites and i was surprised it was such a huge hit (happy for her, though because it kinda saved the "PRISM" era from just being a "1 hit era".) it also happens to be the lowest peaking single from the era on my personal charts. :lol:
so good to see it "only" at #10 and not much higher :P :P :P
Does this mean that you are not a huge fan of "E.T." either? - At what position did "Dark Horse" peak on your personal chart?
Tbh, there was another song which was fighting for that #10 spot and I had to listen to the two songs for like two consecutive days quite often to make a final decision.
it's definitely not one of my favorites (my second least favorite "Teenage Dream" single - only "The One That Got Away" is weaker (and "Part Of Me" if we count the re-release, too)). but since everybody seems to like it, i expect it to appear in your Top 10. :)
i just looked it up, "Dark Horse" peaked at #5 on my personal charts and actually ties with "Birthday" as the lowest peaking "PRISM" single - a Top 5 position definitely isn't bad at all. :) but it is the worst placing "Prism" single on the Decade To Date Charts - at #264 , "Birthday" places at #229.

I really like "Chained To The Rhythm", one of the few tracks from the current album that I still remember how it goes. :lol: the video was great!
she should've released the "WITNESS" album on "Chained To The Rhythm'"s back, she had nothing to lose, really.
I don't want to give too much straight away but you might be right. Oh, you don't like "Part Of Me" either?

Personally, I think it's kinda outrageous to even mention "Dark Horse" and "Birthday" in the same sentence :D Personally, I think that "Birthday" is her worst single to date and I can't believe Katy and her team chose this track over "Walking On Air" or "Legendary Lovers" to be released as a single.
The rankings on your Decade To Date Charts don't look that bad. I am pretty sure they will be outside the Top 400 by the end of the decade, though.

That shade @ Witness :D But I am glad you like the lead single. I agree! - I don't get it why they've waited that long to release the album. Maybe it wasn't ready?
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Fan wrote:
Mainshow wrote:I haven't heard anything about this movie either :D

I know.. Although I did like their entry this year quite a lot. And queen Javine back in 2004 ofcourse (the woman who almost ended up in Girls Aloud).

It is sad, especially as it feels like a part of my youth. But like you said, times have changed and people just check their music(news) online and aren't really interested in these magazines. And let's face it, they were pretty bad from a journalistic point of view.

Yeah, but it just felt like Dark Horse needed a dark, moody video. Not the fun stuff we know from Katy. Especially since the previous video from that era was fabulous.

Chained is lovely <3 I always like it when popstars get political and she did a great job. I literally LIVE for the last 20 seconds, the 'caaaause we are allll chained to the rhythm' is perfection.
The Brits performance was pretty epic as well :lol:
I had no clue Javine was the one who might have ended up in Girls Aloud! - When I started to stan for Cheryl, I watched a clip on youtube when the band members were announced and I can still remember that there was a beautiful black woman not making it. I had no clue that this was Javine! - But based on her "vocal skills" in Eurovision, I think it was for the best to not have her included in the band.

Whenever you will decide to visit me in Germany, we have to buy a Bravo magazine together 'cause #nostalgia

Same here! - Female pop artists going political is kinda of rare, though (when it comes to their music) and "Chained To The Rhythm" is more like containing a social message (which can be related to politics due to the fact that the song was released around the time Trump was elected (still can't believe this happened haha)).
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Chained to the rhythm is excellent, i fell in love with the cute hamster video first. The song is indeed very political and a cleverly written song. Then the music video was released which emphasised the message so much more. If any song in 2017 was a big two fingers to Donald Trump, it's this song. :D

It really does make me wonder what type of music Katy might've released had Hilary Clinton won the US election.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:12 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I interpret the lyrics of "Chained to the Rhythm" to be more an assessment of the state of mind of the general public than a political statement. There's no call to action - at least no explicit one. At any rate, I really like the song, and I'd go as far as to say it's better than every song on American Life except "Nothing Fails".
I actually think we are on the same page here. Isn't it also political when the current state of the society and its averation to taking action? - Of course, it's not explicit and addressed to a certain political issue. I am glad you like the song and wow! I can't believe you like it more than Madonna's masterpiece! :D :o
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:14 pm

JakeP wrote:Chained to the rhythm is excellent, i fell in love with the cute hamster video first. The song is indeed very political and a cleverly written song. Then the music video was released which emphasised the message so much more. If any song in 2017 was a big two fingers to Donald Trump, it's this song. :D

It really does make me wonder what type of music Katy might've released had Hilary Clinton won the US election.
I am glad you love "Chained To The Ryhthm" as well and that hamster video was amazing! Actually, I loved it so much that I refused to watch the official music video for some days (hehe stubborn me). I thought the idea was so original and it didn't feel right to just treat it as some sort of Lyric video. Some official music videos aren't that well-thought!

Oh, that's a very interesting thought! I guess, Katy would still be doing the same music somehow but we would clearly have got a different lead single.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:26 pm

#8: "Thinking Of You" (2009)

After two catchy pop masterpieces ("I Kissed A Girl", "Hot'n'Cold"), Katy Perry released a song with a completely different sound. The song has been written by Katy Perry solely herself and I think that one can hear her involvement in this track. It feels genuine, honest and totally authentic.
Even though I adored Katy's albums "Teenage Dream" and "Prism" a lot when they were released, I thought that Katy Perry is trying to be someone else and that her true self would sound more like her debut record and especially this track (and "I Kissed A Girl", "Mannequin", "Lost", "I'm Still Breathing"). It's edgier than her pop tracks and kinda raw which I adore. Also, the production fits Katy's more "aggressive" and "desperate" voice in the song which is about a lost relationship.
Wow! - After writing the last paragraph, I am quite shocked that I didn't rank this masterpiece even higher but I seem to prefer other tracks to it :D
Last edited by Mainshow on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:26 pm

Mainshow wrote:I am glad you love "Chained To The Ryhthm" as well and that hamster video was amazing! Actually, I loved it so much that I refused to watch the official music video for some days (hehe stubborn me). I thought the idea was so original and it didn't feel right to just treat it as some sort of Lyric video. Some official music videos aren't that well-thought!

Oh, that's a very interesting thought! I guess, Katy would still be doing the same music somehow but we would clearly have got a different lead single.
Chained to the rhythm was an instant hit for me, it went to #1 just 24 hours after release and only the really solid pop songs achieve this. I'm also quite sure it'll be high up in my top 100 of 2017 countdown. :D

Yes, a good example would be Birthday. The lyric video was so good but the music video was far too busy. I can understand that they were probably trying to create a viral video like Gangnam style but they can't force viral videos, they always happen naturally.

Had Hilary won, would Chained to the rhythm still exist? :o Or maybe the song would've still happened but have a different connotation so it would be about another person (maybe Taylor Swift seeing as that cat fight hasn't been resolved yet :lol: )
Last edited by JakeP on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Erotica » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Thinking of you is one of her worst singles and songs for me
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:29 pm

Erotica wrote:Thinking of you is one of her worst singles and songs for me
LOL this is sadly one of those times i'm inclined to agree with Erotica. :( I've never really found Thinking of you that interesting. Doesn't help that it followed two sensational pop gems.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:04 am

"Thinking of You" is bleh, in my opinion. I think "The One That Got Away" covered her ballad bases much better.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:58 am

Not a big fan of 'Dark Horse'. The video is great though.
'Chained to the Rhythm' is really good, it will very likely end up in my personal top 20 of 2017.
'Thinking of You' has a good video (which of her songs doesn't ?) but shows her vocal limitations. It would have better suited someone with a stronger voice like Kelly Clarkson for instance.
Benny
Legend

Postby Carbon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:18 pm

CTTR is quite underrated in her catalogue, quite possibly one of her best singles. Skip Marley is SO unnecessary though

ToY is fine, I don't have a strong opinion on it tbh. But I think the uptempos on that album are much much stronger
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Fan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:07 pm

Mainshow wrote:
I had no clue Javine was the one who might have ended up in Girls Aloud! - When I started to stan for Cheryl, I watched a clip on youtube when the band members were announced and I can still remember that there was a beautiful black woman not making it. I had no clue that this was Javine! - But based on her "vocal skills" in Eurovision, I think it was for the best to not have her included in the band.

Whenever you will decide to visit me in Germany, we have to buy a Bravo magazine together 'cause #nostalgia

Same here! - Female pop artists going political is kinda of rare, though (when it comes to their music) and "Chained To The Rhythm" is more like containing a social message (which can be related to politics due to the fact that the song was released around the time Trump was elected (still can't believe this happened haha)).
I even bought both Javine's debut album and the Touch My Fire single :oops: I was stanning hard.. But in the end, I am definitely glad she didn't up in the band :lol:

Deal!! Sounds like a good plan, haha. Hopefully I will understand some of the writing now as well, my German is (kind of) better compared to back in the day :lol:

It is. Pink and Madonna did it quite specifically and GaGa kind of, although I would say Born This Way was indeed more a social message than a political statement. Oh, and Lemonade ofcourse.

Thinking Of You <33 SO glad this ended up in your top 10, most definitely her most underrated single yet such a gorgeous song. I honestly want some of this Katy back. Totally agree with your comment as well- you feel the desparation and emotion in her voice, yet she stays strong. Especially in the later part of the song where she goes 'your eyes, looking into your eyes, looking into your eyes'. Her best vocal performance to date for me.
And yess for naming I'm Still Breathing. TUNE!! That has always been one of my favourite Katy songs.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 pm

"thinking of you" is a good song. it has never been a personal highlight for me in her discography - however looking back, i'm glad they released it as a single as it was a change after two banger singles.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:51 pm

JakeP wrote:
Mainshow wrote:I am glad you love "Chained To The Ryhthm" as well and that hamster video was amazing! Actually, I loved it so much that I refused to watch the official music video for some days (hehe stubborn me). I thought the idea was so original and it didn't feel right to just treat it as some sort of Lyric video. Some official music videos aren't that well-thought!

Chained to the rhythm was an instant hit for me, it went to #1 just 24 hours after release and only the really solid pop songs achieve this. I'm also quite sure it'll be high up in my top 100 of 2017 countdown. :D

Yes, a good example would be Birthday. The lyric video was so good but the music video was far too busy. I can understand that they were probably trying to create a viral video like Gangnam style but they can't force viral videos, they always happen naturally.

Had Hilary won, would Chained to the rhythm still exist? :o Or maybe the song would've still happened but have a different connotation so it would be about another person (maybe Taylor Swift seeing as that cat fight hasn't been resolved yet :lol: )
That sounds awesome! - I can't wait to see your Top 100 Countdown. I think I will just do my awards as usual since I can't come up with more countdowns (I was even not able to update this thread for a short period of time). "Chained To The Rhythm" will definitely get a nomination somehow, though

That's true! - It was a wasted opportunity because Katy and her team are quite aware of how to come up with amazing music videos without trying too hard. "Birthday" wasn't necessary.

Wow! - That's very interesting. I mean, "Chained To The Rhythm" would still work without Trump but in general, it was crazy to let America decide whether he should become the country's president or not in the first place....

Oh, that's sad to read. Hope you will like the next updates more.

JakeP wrote:
LOL this is sadly one of those times i'm inclined to agree with Erotica. :( I've never really found Thinking of you that interesting. Doesn't help that it followed two sensational pop gems.
:cry: Oh, I love it so much. It's a pity you two (and others) can't appreciate that track that much.

JSparksFan wrote:"Thinking of You" is bleh, in my opinion. I think "The One That Got Away" covered her ballad bases much better.
Speaking of people not being able to appreciate that masterpiece :( - We'll see whether "The One That Got Away" will be part of my countdown or not #staytuned
Last edited by Mainshow on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Fan wrote:
Mainshow wrote:

I even bought both Javine's debut album and the Touch My Fire single :oops: I was stanning hard.. But in the end, I am definitely glad she didn't up in the band :lol:

Deal!! Sounds like a good plan, haha. Hopefully I will understand some of the writing now as well, my German is (kind of) better compared to back in the day :lol:

It is. Pink and Madonna did it quite specifically and GaGa kind of, although I would say Born This Way was indeed more a social message than a political statement. Oh, and Lemonade ofcourse.

Thinking Of You <33 SO glad this ended up in your top 10, most definitely her most underrated single yet such a gorgeous song. I honestly want some of this Katy back. Totally agree with your comment as well- you feel the desparation and emotion in her voice, yet she stays strong. Especially in the later part of the song where she goes 'your eyes, looking into your eyes, looking into your eyes'. Her best vocal performance to date for me.
And yess for naming I'm Still Breathing. TUNE!! That has always been one of my favourite Katy songs.
Wow! I had no clue that Javine was even allowed to release an album after her (well-deserved) failure in Eurovision (oh that sounds harsh but she was really one of the worst of the whole evening). The song's catchy, though.

Can't wait to buy a magazine with you #magazinesmates

I agree. GaGa's "Born This Way" was also semi-political but more society-criticising like "Chained To The Rhythm"; it's just bad that the song itself sucked because GaGa is so freaking talented and she has her heart on the right place. I love her personality!

Yeeeeeeeeeees! Finally somehow is loving my choice! I am quite shocked that "Thinking Of You" isn't well-received among Ukmixers and therefore, I agree with you saying that it's her most underrated single. And yeeeeees again! I want to authentic/raw Katy back as well. She can still deliver some fun bops but it wouldn't hurt to show that singer-songwriter side again. - Thanks for taking your time reading my comment and agreeing! - I'm Still Breathing <3 #katymates
Last edited by Mainshow on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:02 pm

luckyONE wrote:"thinking of you" is a good song. it has never been a personal highlight for me in her discography - however looking back, i'm glad they released it as a single as it was a change after two banger singles.
I am glad you agree on her team choosing "Thinking Of You" as a single. I also think it was important to show her diversity at some point; especially since the two prevous singles were so huge (like you said).
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:03 pm

Benny wrote:Not a big fan of 'Dark Horse'. The video is great though.
'Chained to the Rhythm' is really good, it will very likely end up in my personal top 20 of 2017.
'Thinking of You' has a good video (which of her songs doesn't ?) but shows her vocal limitations. It would have better suited someone with a stronger voice like Kelly Clarkson for instance.
Thanks for catching up! - Wow! That's massive that "Chained To The Rhythm" will probably be part of your personal Top 20! - That's huge (but well-deserved). You really have to love this track.

I agree with TOY having an excellent video and usually, Katy's music videos are great (I just dislike "Birthday" and "Swish Swish" is one of the most horrible things I have ever seen; but apart from that, she's really good at coming up with great videos, that's true).
I disagree, though, I think her voice sounds absolutely fierce on "Thinking Of You"; of course, she's no Christina or Kelly but it doesn't sound bad to me.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Return to Personal Charts