Mainshow Goes Diva: Katy Perry (#2 + #1)

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:17 pm

#7: "Waking Up In Vegas" (2009)

After "Thinking Of You", another single taken from Katy's brilliant debut falls on my countdown. - I've always loved "Waking Up In Vegas" and I am glad it was quite successful in the US (she really set the bar very high after "I Kissed A Girl" and "Hot'n'Cold"). - I am so glad the song had been chosen to be the final single of the album. All four singles are amazing!
I love it how she's serving attitude with this track. It's like an anthem to all the people making mistakes when they're young without giving zero fuc*s as long as you do it with someone you love. - The music video is also freaking enjoyable and one of Katy's best ones!
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:19 pm

#6: "Rise" (2016)

Unpopular opinion alert! - I think that a few of you will be surprised or even a bit annoyed by seeing "Rise" being so high but I really do love this track, tbh. I can still remember how it was released on the same day like Britney's "Make Me..." and I immediately fell in love with it. At first, I was even thinking that "Rise" was superior to "Make Me...." thanks to its anthemic nature, dramatic chorus and its empowering message. Those words are huge coming from an avid fan of Britney's. However, nowadays, I think I would rank "Make Me..." higher. Britney ALWAYS wins in the end... anyway, what a tune! - I also love the music video and I think the chosen metaphor was pretty clever (how the parachute is holding her back, her struggle, her making her way through the rough desert, etc). Love the landscape!

Also, the song has a dream team behind it consisting Max Martin (The King of Pop Songwriting) and Ali Payami (He's teamed up with Loreen for her amazing debut album and he's created one of my favourite songs of all-time). Love it!
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:26 pm

#5: "E.T. (feat. Kanye West)" (2011)

Welcome to the Top 5, guys!

Personally, I think that "E.T." would have perfeclty worked if performed by t.A.T.u. Even though "E.T." is clearly more cleverly-written, its arrangement and melody remind me a lot of t.A.T.u's hit singles. That's probably why I love this track so much beacuse it throws me back to the time when t.A.T.u (one of my favourite bands of all-time) were a thing. - This song is also the reason why I'm doing a "Mainwhos Goes Diva: Katy Perry" Countdown in the first place. The t.A.T.u. countdown made me think of "E.T." a lot lately. OMG, this middle 8 part (sung so high) is soooooooooo t.A.T.u.-esque!

Personally, I think that Kanye West is pretty useless on this track. I didn't like her team's agenda of inviting guest rappers to "destroy" an already perfect track. At least, Katy got another number-one in the bag.

Another stunning music video! Love the extra-footage and her costumes/make-up. I think Rihanna got a bit inspired ("Sledgehammer") as well.
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Interesting mixture

Waking up in Vegas is great and the only good song on that album in my opinion

Rise is horrible, nearly forgot about it. As bad as Thinking of you for example

E.T. is a really good song and strong single
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 pm

Hmm Waking up in Vegas is another one of Katy's earlier singles i wasn't fully sold on. Needless to say, Katy really turned things around with her Teenage dream era.

Rise was such a hauntingly gorgeous song. I know it wasn't to everyones tastes but i loved it. :D

Ahh yes, talking of the Teenage dream era, for me E.T. was the weakest single on the album but i still loved it, which should give you an idea of how much i loved the other singles off the album. Katy really was on a roll in 2010 and 2011.
JakeP
Manager

Postby MusicRecords » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:16 am

Omg Yass at WUIV! :D :D :D
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby luckyONE » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:30 am

so happy to see "Waking Up In Vegas" in your Top 10 as I would place it in my personal Top 10 as well. It's also one of her best Videos (maybe even my favorite Video by her).

"Rise" is cute and I really like it.

Kanye West was really not needed on "E.T." as he is absolutely horrible, anyway.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Benny » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:00 pm

'E.T.' is my favourite song of hers! I prefer the version without Kanye.
Benny
Legend

Postby Fan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:52 pm

Mainshow wrote:Wow! I had no clue that Javine was even allowed to release an album after her (well-deserved) failure in Eurovision (oh that sounds harsh but she was really one of the worst of the whole evening). The song's catchy, though.

Can't wait to buy a magazine with you #magazinesmates

I agree. GaGa's "Born This Way" was also semi-political but more society-criticising like "Chained To The Rhythm"; it's just bad that the song itself sucked because GaGa is so freaking talented and she has her heart on the right place. I love her personality!

Yeeeeeeeeeees! Finally somehow is loving my choice! I am quite shocked that "Thinking Of You" isn't well-received among Ukmixers and therefore, I agree with you saying that it's her most underrated single. And yeeeeees again! I want to authentic/raw Katy back as well. She can still deliver some fun bops but it wouldn't hurt to show that singer-songwriter side again. - Thanks for taking your time reading my comment and agreeing! - I'm Still Breathing <3 #katymates
:lol: :lol: , harsh! She actually released her album the year before, and got a top 5 hit single out of it! Touch My Fire was just a stand-alone single. I actually did watch the performance and it was indeed awful :lol: :oops:

I actually really like Born This Way! Always have. Shame you also don't appreciate Joanne.

#katymates, although I would more say #thinkingofyoumates, as your next bunch is a bit hit-and-miss for me. But firstly back to Thinking Of You, I am also surprised to see so many people hating on it! I would love her to go back to that sound again, much better than most of the things she is releasing nowadays. Waking Up In Vegas is another example, such a cool song. Would definitely put it high in my top 10 as well.
Rise, on the other hand, is just a song I always forgot existed. I don't even dislike it, it's just not very interesting :lol: Like I previously said, there isn't a Katy single I truly dislike, but I would count E.T. as my least favourite Katy song (to date- as Hey, Hey, Hey is actually awful). I quite enjoy it, but waay too high in your countdown.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:50 am

Strong trio there!

"Waking Up in Vegas" is the song that made me take notice of Katy. The chorus is such a beautiful explosion of care-free, no-phucks-given (as you pointed out) euphoria. I'm glad to see it this high.

"Rise" is awesome! For me, you've ranked it well, about as high as I would have. The song is special to me, as it soundtracked the NBC promo for the Rio Olympic Games last year, which was a trying championship for my favourite athlete. The lyrics about overcoming adversity take me back to that summer every time, and even in my personal life, the song has tremendous relevance.

Let's start with where we agree: "E.T." is a fantastic song, with a killer hook. Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me, infect me with your love and fill me with your poison seems simple on paper, but it is so damn brilliant! As for the point where we differ: Kanye's verse is absolutely essential to the song's 10/10 rating for me. His rhymes here are all winners, especially the last bit: I'mma disrobe you, then I'mma probe you, see I abducted you, so I tell you what to do is on the right side of the classless/sexiness divide.
And the category is: LIVE. WORK. POSE!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:55 pm

Erotica wrote:Interesting mixture

Waking up in Vegas is great and the only good song on that album in my opinion

Rise is horrible, nearly forgot about it. As bad as Thinking of you for example

E.T. is a really good song and strong single
I am glad that that this mixture is somehow a surprise for you and that you can love two songs of them (even though your words for Katy's first pop album are really harsh) :lol:

JakeP wrote:Hmm Waking up in Vegas is another one of Katy's earlier singles i wasn't fully sold on. Needless to say, Katy really turned things around with her Teenage dream era.

Rise was such a hauntingly gorgeous song. I know it wasn't to everyones tastes but i loved it. :D

Ahh yes, talking of the Teenage dream era, for me E.T. was the weakest single on the album but i still loved it, which should give you an idea of how much i loved the other singles off the album. Katy really was on a roll in 2010 and 2011.
Truth told. Katy did everything right with "Teenage Dream" but I still think that her debut was massive as well and it's a pity you don't like it as much as the new(er) Katy ;)

Yeeeeeeees! So cool to hear that other people love "Rise" as well! It doesn't deserve all the hate, in my opinion!

:oops: Finally, I'm dropping a single taken from her "Teenage Dream " era and then, it's your least favourite one #mess

MusicRecords wrote:Omg Yass at WUIV! :D :D :D
Another one loving her debut? <3

luckyONE wrote:so happy to see "Waking Up In Vegas" in your Top 10 as I would place it in my personal Top 10 as well. It's also one of her best Videos (maybe even my favorite Video by her).

"Rise" is cute and I really like it.

Kanye West was really not needed on "E.T." as he is absolutely horrible, anyway.
That's quite interesting to read that you love "Waking Up In Vegas"'s music video that much! - And I agree, I love it as well but my favourite music video by Katy Perry hasn't been part of the countdown yet.

Agree on "Rise" & Kanye West as well!

Benny wrote:'E.T.' is my favourite song of hers! I prefer the version without Kanye.
I'm glad your favourite track made it into my Top 5 ;) - Yeah, the album version has already been perfect. There was no need to invite Kanye.
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:45 pm

Fan wrote:
Mainshow wrote:Wow! I had no clue that Javine was even allowed to release an album after her (well-deserved) failure in Eurovision (oh that sounds harsh but she was really one of the worst of the whole evening). The song's catchy, though.

Can't wait to buy a magazine with you #magazinesmates

I agree. GaGa's "Born This Way" was also semi-political but more society-criticising like "Chained To The Rhythm"; it's just bad that the song itself sucked because GaGa is so freaking talented and she has her heart on the right place. I love her personality!

Yeeeeeeeeeees! Finally somehow is loving my choice! I am quite shocked that "Thinking Of You" isn't well-received among Ukmixers and therefore, I agree with you saying that it's her most underrated single. And yeeeeees again! I want to authentic/raw Katy back as well. She can still deliver some fun bops but it wouldn't hurt to show that singer-songwriter side again. - Thanks for taking your time reading my comment and agreeing! - I'm Still Breathing <3 #katymates
:lol: :lol: , harsh! She actually released her album the year before, and got a top 5 hit single out of it! Touch My Fire was just a stand-alone single. I actually did watch the performance and it was indeed awful :lol: :oops:

I actually really like Born This Way! Always have. Shame you also don't appreciate Joanne.

#katymates, although I would more say #thinkingofyoumates, as your next bunch is a bit hit-and-miss for me. But firstly back to Thinking Of You, I am also surprised to see so many people hating on it! I would love her to go back to that sound again, much better than most of the things she is releasing nowadays. Waking Up In Vegas is another example, such a cool song. Would definitely put it high in my top 10 as well.
Rise, on the other hand, is just a song I always forgot existed. I don't even dislike it, it's just not very interesting :lol: Like I previously said, there isn't a Katy single I truly dislike, but I would count E.T. as my least favourite Katy song (to date- as Hey, Hey, Hey is actually awful). I quite enjoy it, but waay too high in your countdown.
Poor Javine. I still feel so bad for her :( Failing in Popstars and Eurovision :(

Meh.

Hehe, but #katymates sounds so much better but since you don't like "Rise", I think that we will never really become #musicalmates but I am still glad that you appreciate the old Katy as much as I do. Maybe the melodies of the older tracks aren't as catchy as her new ones but the tracks felt more natural.. so I agree!
Wow, "E.T." :( - I am glad that "Hey Hey Hey" will take the thrown of your least favourite Katy single because "E.T." is flawless <3

JSparksFan wrote:Strong trio there!

"Waking Up in Vegas" is the song that made me take notice of Katy. The chorus is such a beautiful explosion of care-free, no-phucks-given (as you pointed out) euphoria. I'm glad to see it this high.

"Rise" is awesome! For me, you've ranked it well, about as high as I would have. The song is special to me, as it soundtracked the NBC promo for the Rio Olympic Games last year, which was a trying championship for my favourite athlete. The lyrics about overcoming adversity take me back to that summer every time, and even in my personal life, the song has tremendous relevance.

Let's start with where we agree: "E.T." is a fantastic song, with a killer hook. Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me, infect me with your love and fill me with your poison seems simple on paper, but it is so damn brilliant! As for the point where we differ: Kanye's verse is absolutely essential to the song's 10/10 rating for me. His rhymes here are all winners, especially the last bit: I'mma disrobe you, then I'mma probe you, see I abducted you, so I tell you what to do is on the right side of the classless/sexiness divide.
Thanks! I am glad that you like the trio as much as I do.

I loved it that you mentioned "euphoria" when you described "Waking Up In Vegas" (Loreen <3) and it's great to read that you like "Rise" as well and that you would even rank it inside your Top 5 as well! - I am not a fan of the Olympics at all (I didn't even watch parts of it) but since you are so competitive and interested in athletics and cheering for your favourites, I can understand why you have a special connection to the track and the "overcoming burdens" metaphor can easily be applied to our own personal uphill battles in daily life. I am glad the song means so much to you.

You seem to be the only one in here to fully enjoy Kanye's verse. I think it's very off-putting and not sexy at all but oh well, how boring life would be if we are all attracted to the same things. Glad you like the song and its infectious melody, though.
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Vegas is great and fun!

Rise has really good verses, very emotional, but the chorus is underwhelming and ruins it for me. And as a whole, the song drags a bit.

Not a fan of E.T., pretty much dislike everything about it, most of all Kanye
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:19 pm

Carbon wrote:Vegas is great and fun!

Rise has really good verses, very emotional, but the chorus is underwhelming and ruins it for me. And as a whole, the song drags a bit.

Not a fan of E.T., pretty much dislike everything about it, most of all Kanye
So in the end, my last trio was some sort of an anti-climax for you :D - I hope I can step up my game with the next track(s).
Glad you like the verses of "Rise"!
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:18 pm

#4: "Bon Appétit (feat. Migos)" (2017)

Personally, I think that this track is really underrated among pop lovers since it didn't deserve to flop. Even though Katy is no stranger to shameless metaphors referring to sex, but "Bon Appétit" basically is the cherry on top of a delicious cake. The song channels Katy's ability of being funny or having a sense of humor while being seductive and sexy at the same time!
I think that she's brilliant at such tracks (e.g. "Peacock") and I think it was a nice way of showing her fun side again after going political by levelling criticism on nowadays society with "Chained To The Rhythm".
Even though the song might not have a very catchy hook like her popular up-tempo hits, its beat is totally infectious and makes me craving for me. It's that bumping beat accompanying the "'Cause I'm all that you want, boy. All that you can have, boy. Got me spread like a buffet. Bon a, bon appétit, baby" lines which makes me go crazy. - I know it's an unpopular choice (maybe even more than "Rise") but I hope that a few of you will agree on me placing the song that high on my countdown.

Moreover, the single's music video is mesmerising and one of the most creative ones of 2017.
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Love it, my song of 2017 <3 Even though it's kind of new it's already among my favourites or even my favourite? I don't know but definitely top 3. The video is great too.
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Erotica wrote:Love it, my song of 2017 <3 Even though it's kind of new it's already among my favourites or even my favourite? I don't know but definitely top 3. The video is great too.
Yes! I am glad that the first comment to the song is a positive one! - I really do think the song is underrated and it's one of my favourite tracks of 2017 as well! - Wow, so this will probably end up being your favourite Katy single of all times! :o
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:54 pm

Like it, it's a grower. The MV is one of her best. I just wish Migos weren't in it, they're pure trash
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:20 pm

the best song off "WITNESS" and definitely Top 10 material for me, too.
the video is amazing until up to the point where she only has her short hair. the rest is perfect though. :)
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Benny » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:23 pm

'Bon Appétit' is nice though a bit high.
Benny
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:54 pm

I know i'm in the minority here but i didn't get into Bon appétit when it came out, and even the music video didn't help boost the song for me either.

I blame Migos :oops: :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:08 pm

Mainshow wrote:Poor Javine. I still feel so bad for her :( Failing in Popstars and Eurovision :(

Meh.

Hehe, but #katymates sounds so much better but since you don't like "Rise", I think that we will never really become #musicalmates but I am still glad that you appreciate the old Katy as much as I do. Maybe the melodies of the older tracks aren't as catchy as her new ones but the tracks felt more natural.. so I agree!
Wow, "E.T." :( - I am glad that "Hey Hey Hey" will take the thrown of your least favourite Katy single because "E.T." is flawless <3
Poor Javine indeed :(

Haha! I was at my mum's the other day and she started talking about how she watched a Katy documentary and how much she enjoyed it, so maybe you could be #katymates with her?
:( :( Let's just keep it at #bitterballenmates. Now finally something we agree on! It did indeed sound way more natural, at the same time I think as song as Hot N Cold is incredibly catchy. Maybe even catchier than some of her current stuff.

Bon Apetit has grown on me a lot. I absolutely hated it at first, but I do like it quite a lot now. The video is pretty damn amazing! I wouldn't have put it in my top 5 Katy song however, but I appreciate it.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Time to catch up... :oops:

Rihanna
#6: "Diamonds" (2012)
#5: "Man Down" (2011)
#4: "Pon De Replay" (2005)
#3: "Don't Stop The Music" (2007)
#2: "Umbrella (feat. Jay-Z)" (2007)
#1: "Stay (feat. Mikky Ekko)" (2013)
I already commented on #10-#7 so i started with #6...
Rihanna's Singles Discography is so incredibly strong, it's no surprise i like all the remaining songs. Actually there are like only two or three singles she has released that i don't like so i'm glad none of them appear here... the #1 is still a nice surprise, as many people would have "Don't Stop The Music", "Diamonds" or "Umbrella" as their #1 i think. Definitely a deserved #1 and a strong ballad. My #1 would be "Unfaithful" though :oops:

t.A.T.u.
#7: "Not Gonna Get Us" (2003)
#2: "All The Things She Said" (2002)
#1: "All About Us" (2005)
I'm not that familiar with t.A.T.u.'s discography so that's all i know from them when it comes to your Top10 :oops:
Though "All About Us" is BRILLIANT, one of my most favorite songs and videos EVER while the other two are amazing as well. I think i may even prefer "Not Gonna Get Us" to "All The Things She Said".

Katy Perry
#10: "Dark Horse (feat. Juicy J)" (2013)
#9: "Chained To The Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley)" (2017)
#8: "Thinking Of You" (2009)
#7: "Waking Up In Vegas" (2009)
#6: "Rise" (2016)
#5: "E.T. (feat. Kanye West)" (2011)
#4: "Bon Appétit (feat. Migos)" (2017)
Another current Pop Girl with an incredibly strong discography!
"Thinking Of You", "Waking Up In Vegas" and "Rise" all belong to her weaker songs to me but i still enjoy them. I'm just a bit sad they all appear here so there may be some great songs that won't be on the list... :cry:
"Bon Appétit" is a BOP. Should have been huuuge... one of my faves this year, glad you like it that much as well!
DH and "E.T." both would be easily in my Top5. Love them <3
Tansike
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:46 pm

ET and BA are two really really strong songs.

I do not know why so many ppl dislike Bon Appétit... it is a bop and timeless and an evergreen in the making. The video is bliss.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Carbon wrote:Like it, it's a grower. The MV is one of her best. I just wish Migos weren't in it, they're pure trash
I don't mind them on the track but yeah, I could have lived with another rapper doing those parts. Agree when it comes to the MV.

luckyONE wrote:the best song off "WITNESS" and definitely Top 10 material for me, too.
the video is amazing until up to the point where she only has her short hair. the rest is perfect though. :)
When it comes to "Witness", I think that "Bigger Than Me" is the best song on the record but BA comes close. So I somehow agree with you. I am glad you like it that much! - and yeah, her short hair looks kinda awkward and weird.

Benny wrote:'Bon Appétit' is nice though a bit high.
Would it be part of your lower Top 10, though?

JakeP wrote:I know i'm in the minority here but i didn't get into Bon appétit when it came out, and even the music video didn't help boost the song for me either.

I blame Migos :oops: :lol:
Actually, I am surprised you are the first one to not appreciate BA that much. I was expecting more people to agree with you, tbh.
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Return to Personal Charts