Mainshow Goes Diva: Ariana Grande (#2 - #1)

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JakeP » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Mainshow wrote:
Tansike wrote:Selena next please :P
:lol: Thinking of pulling off a Biebz, tbh :D
Biebz totally stole your idea. :lol:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:44 am

I'd love to see your top 10 Madonna songs! 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:35 am

JakeP wrote:
Mainshow wrote:
Tansike wrote:Selena next please :P
:lol: Thinking of pulling off a Biebz, tbh :D
Biebz totally stole your idea. :lol:
:o #savage :D

JSparksFan wrote:I'd love to see your top 10 Madonna songs! 8-)
This one is definitely planned. - Isn't she going to release a new studio album soon?
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:48 am

In some years maybe.
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:01 am

Mainshow goes Diva: LADY GAGA

It's been a while. I know I shouldn't have kept you waiting. But I'm here now: Welcome back to Mainshow Goes Diva! - Hopefully, the "Break The Ice" quote wasn't too misleading (since I saw Britney live three times last week, I can't help myself. Those Britney references keep on popping up).

That said, I chose one of the greatest entertainer of our times to be my next diva: LADY GAGA. - Granted, I haven't found the nicest words for Lady GaGa's career here on Ukmix because I think she is kind of irritating, to some extent. She kicked off her career as the cool gurl revolutionising pop music, shortly turned into that weird mother monster and creating artsy-fartsy music videos which were mesmerising, stunning but also totally out of place at the same time. Then, she totally went country and jazz-y with her side projects and latest album and sometimes I just wonder who Lady GaGa really is and how she really sounds like. Anyway, she is freaking talented and she can deliver in so many different genres, she's a truly gifted live artist (I have seen her live three times)!

To celebrate, the soon-to-be-released movie "A Star IS Born" (starring Lady GaGa), I thought it would be a nice idea to let "Mainshow Goes Diva" come back with a bang and do a Lady GaGa edition.

Btw, she's my 11th most scrobbled artists on lastfm with 1,670 plays when it comes to female pop artists.
Last edited by Mainshow on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:16 am

Amazing choice! Can't wait! :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:22 am

#10: "Marry The Night" (2011)

"Mainshow Goes Diva: Lady GaGa" kicks off with the final sinlge of GaGa's second studio album Born This Way.
Personally, I think this song is one of the best ways to introduce listeneres to a full-length record. This song defines so many different genres at once: It is difficult to describe because it's indeed a mixture of everything... dance-pop, synth-pop from the 90's, some rock and electro influences and I absolutely love the church bells in the arrangement as well. "Marry The Night" is massive, a true anthem of GaGa's catalaogue. It's energetic, powerful and makes you wanna marry the night as well ;)

The accompanying music video is probably my favourite one when it comes to GaGa's entire career. The autobiographical elements (GaGa being dropped from her label, changing her image, coming back to town, becoming a star) combined with the eerie clinic scenes and throwing in Beethoven as well as great dance moves, some action scenes make this music video a huge event of pop culture! - Do you agree?

Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:23 am

Erotica wrote:In some years maybe.
Oh, I really do hope Madonna won't take that long to release another full-length record! I miss her!

Tansike wrote:Amazing choice! Can't wait! :D
Thanks! - Looking back at her songs, I really have to admit she has a MASSIVE catalogue!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:37 am

#9: "Joanne (Where Do You Think You’re Goin’?)" (2018)

With one of her latest releases, GaGa shows a completely different side of her (or a side which she hasn't often shown before): "Joanne" is melancholic masterpiece portraying GaGa's talents as a vocalist and artist in the honest way possible. I have already loved the album version but this piano-driven single version is everything and it shows what an amazing voice GaGa truly has! - Stunning track and it deserved way more success!

Edit: The song even deserves to be higher on my countdown because it's one of the most beautiful things I have heard when it comes to GaGa but like I have previously mentioned, her catalogue is massive... so many hits and pop-defining songs are still to come... it was a tough choice.

Mainshow
Legend

Postby Biebz » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:10 pm

I can't listen to Marry The Night without thinking of her X-Factor performance where she sang as a decapitated head :lol:

Joanne is probably my favourite on the album, really beautiful song.
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby Erotica » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Marry the night is a nice song overall, I like it.

Joanne is one of the better slow songs on the album, but still boring and I don't really listen to it anymore at all (never did much though). Exactly the direction I don't like from her.

On my lastfm she is on #5. Her first four albums have many scrobbles, but her last one compared to them not.
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:07 pm

Marry the night is a good start to the top 10. I doubt it'd be inside my personal top 10 Lady Gaga songs but it wouldn't be far behind either. :P

Joanne (piano version) is so much more warm and lovely compared to the original album version which i really struggled to get into when i heard it.

Interested in seeing what's to come. :cool:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:58 am

"Marry the Night" is a terrific song. I'm not a huge fan of its video, though.

"Joanne" is beautiful, but it wouldn't be near my LG top 20, let alone top 10. I do agree, though, that the single version offers something a bit...glossier, and, at times, more pleasing, than the album version.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:33 am

Biebz wrote:I can't listen to Marry The Night without thinking of her X-Factor performance where she sang as a decapitated head :lol:

Joanne is probably my favourite on the album, really beautiful song.
OMG - When you wrote about that performance, I thought you meant it in a metaphorical kind of way but she really did perform as a "decapitated head" :lol: #iconic - I just looked that performance up and watched it for the very first time and damn... those live vocals are everything!

I am glad you enjoy listening to "Joanne" (the song) as much as I do.

Erotica wrote:Marry the night is a nice song overall, I like it.

Joanne is one of the better slow songs on the album, but still boring and I don't really listen to it anymore at all (never did much though). Exactly the direction I don't like from her.

On my lastfm she is on #5. Her first four albums have many scrobbles, but her last one compared to them not.
Glad you like "Marry The Night" as well. Thus, it was a great way to kick off my "Lady GaGa" countdown.
Yeah, I think that the album "Joanne" as well as her jazz albums turned off a lot of her (pop) fans. Still, I think some songs suit her and her voice so well.

Wow, #5 on your last.fm! That's huge!!!

JakeP wrote:Marry the night is a good start to the top 10. I doubt it'd be inside my personal top 10 Lady Gaga songs but it wouldn't be far behind either. :P

Joanne (piano version) is so much more warm and lovely compared to the original album version which i really struggled to get into when i heard it.

Interested in seeing what's to come. :cool:
Glad we somehow agree on "Marry The Night". Actually, #11 and #12 were very close and it was a difficult decision to rank them but in the end, I think that "Marry The Night" is too epic to not be part of my Top 10 and I really love the song.

I actually like both versions of "Joanne" but the single version definitely suits the whole atmosphere better. - Hope to not disappoint you with the other singles ;)

JSparksFan wrote:"Marry the Night" is a terrific song. I'm not a huge fan of its video, though.

"Joanne" is beautiful, but it wouldn't be near my LG top 20, let alone top 10. I do agree, though, that the single version offers something a bit...glossier, and, at times, more pleasing, than the album version.
Yeah! "Marry The Night" is absolutely flawess. It's a pity you don't like the music video. I seriously think it's my favourite music video by GaGa :D May I ask what you don't like about it in particular?

I really thought you would love "Joanne" being part of my Top 10 :D - Wow, it wouldn't be even inside your Lady GaGa singles Top 20? - I am a bit shocked :D
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:46 pm

#8: "Bad Romance" (2009)

Tbh, it was not my intention to place this single inside my personal Top 10 because it has grown off on me through the years and I think it hasn't aged well at all. However, after going through GaGa's discography I remembered how much I love(d) this track and I found myself singing-along to the track. It's freaking catchy, career-defining and definitely iconic because of Rah-rah-ah-ah-ro-mah-ro-mah-mah-GaGa-oh-la-la lines as well as its music video which has been the birth of Mother Monster.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:48 pm

Joanne is beautiful. Whoever lost someone close can relate to the atmosphere and emotions she puts there.
leomedar
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:52 pm

#7: "Just Dance" (2008)

Oh gosh, that was my ultimate jam a decade ago. This track kicked off the "Red One" hype and it's crazy how much influence on pop music GaGa had due to her debut album. The bridge and the middle 8 part are totally sick and one of GaGa's finest moments. If the verses had been better, I think that I would have placed the song inside my Top 5, tbh. What a triumphant way to begin a career as an artist. When I heard that track at the very first time (before she got famous, it was introduced to a few listeners on a music platform and honestly, no one knew her back in the day), I knew Lady GaGa was meant to be big!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:13 pm

Two bonafide pop anthems back to back. <3 My love for Bad romance is as strong today as its ever been. Every so often a song comes along that i hear for the first time and instantly i'm in love. That's the power that Bad romance has imo.

Then there's Just dance which i also discovered on YouTube in 2008 after it became a hit in Australia. I said back then (before she had any UK chart success) that Lady Gaga would be around for a long time. That's exactly what's happened although imo she has never matched or bettered The fame monster in terms of definitive pop classics.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby Biebz » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:21 pm

Loved Bad Romance back in the day but I find it a bit overrated now, out of the singles it would be one of the last I'd chose to listen to voluntarily.

Just Dance is still pop perfection. Brings back so many memories of early 2009. A much simpler time :cry:
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby Erotica » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:53 pm

I am some sort of tired of Bad Romance, it would never make my top 10. Overplayed and in my opinion a bit overrated :oops: Back then I liked it, but when the single release was over and everything I didn't care much about it anymore.

Same for Just dance a bit, but still think it's a very good song and I still can listen to it, good start for a career.
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:18 pm

leomedar wrote:Joanne is beautiful. Whoever lost someone close can relate to the atmosphere and emotions she puts there.
This <3

JakeP wrote:Two bonafide pop anthems back to back. <3 My love for Bad romance is as strong today as its ever been. Every so often a song comes along that i hear for the first time and instantly i'm in love. That's the power that Bad romance has imo.

Then there's Just dance which i also discovered on YouTube in 2008 after it became a hit in Australia. I said back then (before she had any UK chart success) that Lady Gaga would be around for a long time. That's exactly what's happened although imo she has never matched or bettered The fame monster in terms of definitive pop classics.
I am glad you love these two releases the same they as I do. Two massive hits, pop masterpieces which have shaken the pop business/industry! - "Bad Romance" is indeed very powerfull because of the iconic and anthemic sing-along phrases and the Eurotrash/House arrangement. So much energey!

It's crazy to believe that it took so much time for "Just Dance" to take off worldwide! It felt so special to have been a fan of this song before it weng en vogue :D

Biebz wrote:Loved Bad Romance back in the day but I find it a bit overrated now, out of the singles it would be one of the last I'd chose to listen to voluntarily.

Just Dance is still pop perfection. Brings back so many memories of early 2009. A much simpler time :cry:
I see where you're coming from since "Bad Romance" hasn't aged well after all... but still, it's such a massive track... I just had to let it chart #iconic
Dunno if 2009 was simpler.. the pop industry was so much more competitive :D

Erotica wrote:I am some sort of tired of Bad Romance, it would never make my top 10. Overplayed and in my opinion a bit overrated :oops: Back then I liked it, but when the single release was over and everything I didn't care much about it anymore.

Same for Just dance a bit, but still think it's a very good song and I still can listen to it, good start for a career.
Harsh word. Poor "Bad Romance" - I really thought you would be loving it.
Glad we agree on "Just Dance" being a perfect way to kick off a career, though!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:33 pm

It's not a bad song, but somehow can't really listen to it anymore.
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:36 pm

Erotica wrote:It's not a bad song, but somehow can't really listen to it anymore.
Oh, I can feel you. That's why "Hot N Cold" probably didn't make my Top 10 of the "Mainshow Goes Diva: Katy Perry" edition. Technically, I know that it's a pop anthem, super catchy and memorable lyrics but I "overplayed" it and I can't listen to it anymore either.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:40 am

Well, "Bad Romance" is a contender for my all-time favourite song, so I'm definitely disappointed to see it crash out in eighth place. I don't think any other song sums up the essence of Gaga the way "Bad Romance" does. It's wild, infectious, powerful, and a classic that just seems to get better as the years go by. Words will never do it justice.

For a few years I thought "Just Dance" was 'just okay'. I don't remember exactly when my opinion on it changed, but now I think it's one of the best pop songs of the new millennium. It's simpler than some of her other big hits, but perhaps even catchier because of that simplicity. And I agree that it was a killer debut single. I can name the pop artists with superior first singles on one hand...and yes, Britney is on that hand, of course. :wink:

Mainshow wrote:Yeah! "Marry The Night" is absolutely flawess. It's a pity you don't like the music video. I seriously think it's my favourite music video by GaGa :D May I ask what you don't like about it in particular?

I really thought you would love "Joanne" being part of my Top 10 :D - Wow, it wouldn't be even inside your Lady GaGa singles Top 20? - I am a bit shocked :D
The intro is almost nine minutes long, and that's entirely too much. Also, nothing really special happens in the video, though I do love that gown at the end, and blowing up cars is always fun to see.

Yeah, "Joanne" is probably an 8.5/10 at best. Gaga has so many songs above that level, in my opinion.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:18 am

#10: "Marry The Night"

The perfect opener for "Born This Way" and a very strong single. I never thought about it but i just realized i never watched the video :o

#9: "Joanne (Where Do You Think You’re Goin’?)"

This is quite a beautiful ballad, i much prefer the album version to the single version though. I like that it's having a spot in your Top10 but as you say, her discography is so strong and this wouldn't even be in my Top20 to be honest...

#8: "Bad Romance"

A pop masterpiece with an incredible video. I still remember the release of this so well, and also the impact of its video. But yes, it didn't age too well, but i'm glad it still got a spot in your Top10 as it still is a classic.

#7: "Just Dance"

Funny how this aged so much better than most of the stuff that followed it. Great debut single, i love how fun she was there. It's such a carefree pop song where you can listen to it, dance to it, sing along and forget everything around you.

btw... being the #11 most scrobbled artist sounds so unlucky. Here's hope she will reach the Top10 soon. She's currently my second most played artist and i'm also considering her my second most favorite artist (or at least solo artist, not really sure how to rank her against bands like NW or WT)
Tansike
Legend

Return to Personal Charts