Mainshow Goes Diva: Ariana Grande (#2 - #1)

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

 

Postby RayRay » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Bad Romance should have been higher. :(
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12522
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby Mainshow » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:31 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Well, "Bad Romance" is a contender for my all-time favourite song, so I'm definitely disappointed to see it crash out in eighth place. I don't think any other song sums up the essence of Gaga the way "Bad Romance" does. It's wild, infectious, powerful, and a classic that just seems to get better as the years go by. Words will never do it justice.

For a few years I thought "Just Dance" was 'just okay'. I don't remember exactly when my opinion on it changed, but now I think it's one of the best pop songs of the new millennium. It's simpler than some of her other big hits, but perhaps even catchier because of that simplicity. And I agree that it was a killer debut single. I can name the pop artists with superior first singles on one hand...and yes, Britney is on that hand, of course. :wink:

Mainshow wrote:Yeah! "Marry The Night" is absolutely flawess. It's a pity you don't like the music video. I seriously think it's my favourite music video by GaGa :D May I ask what you don't like about it in particular?

I really thought you would love "Joanne" being part of my Top 10 :D - Wow, it wouldn't be even inside your Lady GaGa singles Top 20? - I am a bit shocked :D
The intro is almost nine minutes long, and that's entirely too much. Also, nothing really special happens in the video, though I do love that gown at the end, and blowing up cars is always fun to see.

Yeah, "Joanne" is probably an 8.5/10 at best. Gaga has so many songs above that level, in my opinion.
I somehow forgot how much you do love "Bad Romance". I am impressed it's a contender for your all-time favourite track.
Personally, I agree on what you have said about the song being the essence of what GaGa is about. It is really the epitome of her characteristics as an artist but honestly, I think it's slightly overproduced and didn't age well. That's why I prefer a lot of her "The Fame" stuff to it, tbh.

I am glad "Just Dance" grew on you! And yeah, it was an impressive way to kick off a worldwide career and I love it that you mentioned Britney in your comment as well :D I don't think "Just Dance" was/is as huge as "...Baby One More Time" but it's just because GaGa's track was kind of a sleeper hit and it was followed by an even bigger hit ("Poker Face").

Oh, I think "Joanne" is a 9/10 at least :D It's one of the very few ballads I lke from her.. or maybe even the only one haha. I think GaGa was trolling when she performed "Speechless" on her tours.. I was like "WTF. this is utterly horrenoud..please leave that piano alone" :D :lol:

Fair enough. "Marry The Night" is tad long but I love the narrative, her looks, the classy stuff, the breakdown and her coming back (kinda empowering as well).
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Mainshow » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:39 pm

Tansike wrote:#10: "Marry The Night"

The perfect opener for "Born This Way" and a very strong single. I never thought about it but i just realized i never watched the video :o
It was indeed! - And the perfect opener for my countdown ;) I am glad you like the track and omg!!! I am shocked you haven't watched the video yet! #blasphemy
I thought you were a fan :D

Tansike wrote:#9: "Joanne (Where Do You Think You’re Goin’?)"

This is quite a beautiful ballad, i much prefer the album version to the single version though. I like that it's having a spot in your Top10 but as you say, her discography is so strong and this wouldn't even be in my Top20 to be honest...
It surprise me a bit that "Joanne"'s entry came across as a surprise for everyone commenting on this thread. Personally, I think it's a stunning, beautiful, touching ballad... on the other hand, GaGa is more known, loved, admired because of her fun up-tempo tracks (she can deliver both type of songs, though)

Tansike wrote:#8: "Bad Romance"

A pop masterpiece with an incredible video. I still remember the release of this so well, and also the impact of its video. But yes, it didn't age too well, but i'm glad it still got a spot in your Top10 as it still is a classic.
Yeah, the release, the song's impact, the music video, her image.. it was so enjoyable and fun to witness how she was on top of her game. Basically as huge as Britney 1999-2004. - Glad you agree on the "not aging so well" part. And I agree, it's crazy how "Just Dance" still sounds kinda fresh on the other hand...

Tansike wrote:#7: "Just Dance"

Funny how this aged so much better than most of the stuff that followed it. Great debut single, i love how fun she was there. It's such a carefree pop song where you can listen to it, dance to it, sing along and forget everything around you.

btw... being the #11 most scrobbled artist sounds so unlucky. Here's hope she will reach the Top10 soon. She's currently my second most played artist and i'm also considering her my second most favorite artist (or at least solo artist, not really sure how to rank her against bands like NW or WT)
I miss that pop, fun, carefree, cool chick. GaGa could have followed that route a bit longer.

Hehe, #11 is indeed quite unlucky but on the other hand, I don't know if she really should overtake Britney, Madonna, Kylie, Selena, Lena, Katy Perry, etc. :D

RayRay wrote:Bad Romance should have been higher. :(
Thx for your comment but I - obviously - do not agree even though the song is indeed iconic :D
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Mainshow » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:54 pm

#6: "Alejandro" (2010)

Some people may argue that the release of "Alejandro" and its accompanying music video has been the start of GaGa's fall and why the general public kinda abandoned her. Maybe it was too sexual? Maybe she was following that creepy and trashy "Mother Monster" image for too long and should have gone back to her The Fame days to be more appealing to a wider audience? - While I slightly agree with those people, I don't think that the music was a problem back then because "Alejandro" is another catchy, well-produced track in GaGa's stunning discography. I also think it's a bit melancholic and I love the spoken intro/interlude which add a summer-ish atmosphere to the song which contradicts the dark music video. I really do love this track and single release but it was indeed the beginning of the "over-the-top" GaGa (together with "Telephone").
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Erotica » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Alejandro is great, I loved it from the beginning. I think the song is in my top 3 of her singles, maybe even top 2 :)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
User avatar
Erotica
Legend
 
Posts: 16718
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014
Location: Germany

Postby Mainshow » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:05 pm

#5: "Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)" (2009)

It's crazy that even after 9 years, I still believe that this song is a stand-out track of GaGa's career and utterly underrated amongst fans. It's a carefree and cute pop track with a joyful and playful arrangement and a "Lolita" version of GaGa. This side of hers has rarely been seen because her career didn't give her any room to release "ordinary" pop tracks. She has always tried to top herself and create soemthing more creepy, meaningful or artsy-fartsy. I can fully understand why fans and critics alike might think the song is rather pale compared to her other hits but I highly enjoy this track for being a harmless catchy pop tune. I adore the breezy atmosphere and the unapologetic Europop vibes. It's a pity it had only been a single in very few countries around the world. It should have (and deserved to) be(en) bigger!
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Mainshow » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Erotica wrote:Alejandro is great, I loved it from the beginning. I think the song is in my top 3 of her singles, maybe even top 2 :)
Same here! I instantly loved "Alejandro". Tbh, I think it's maybe a bit repetitive at some point but not in an annoying kind of way. I still love to go back to it from time to time! - It's crazy how massive it had been here in Germany when it got released... I mean even though it didn't reach the #1 spot, radio stations couldn't stop playing it for months :D
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Erotica » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:18 am

I enjoy Eh Eh, very cute song :)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
User avatar
Erotica
Legend
 
Posts: 16718
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014
Location: Germany

Postby Biebz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:28 am

Alejandro is incredible and my personal favourite Gaga song. I still remember when the demo leaked and me and my school friend would listen to it all day.
User avatar
Biebz
Best Damn Member
 
Posts: 23478
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013
Location: UK

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:40 am

Erotica wrote:I enjoy Eh Eh, very cute song :)
It is indeed! So effing catchy!
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:41 am

Biebz wrote:Alejandro is incredible and my personal favourite Gaga song. I still remember when the demo leaked and me and my school friend would listen to it all day.
Thus, "Alejandro" is your #1 Gaga song ever? That's cool! I am glad your personal favourite made it to my list!
I think I have never heard the demo version. Is it much different to the final track?
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby JakeP » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:55 pm

Alejandro had such a fabulous homoerotic video, i was truly in love with that video at the time. I just didn't like those black wigs they were wearing. :lol: :oops: The song itself had that europop sound that was popular in the 90s. Thinking about it now, i think this track had a big influence on acts like Clean Bandit with their song Rockabye. They definitely share a similar vibe. :wink:

Eh eh (nothing else i can say) is like the sound of candy floss, toffee apples and pink iced donuts. :lol: It's just so incredibly "sweet" but whilst i do enjoy this track, i still prefer the singles more.
User avatar
JakeP
Superstar
 
Posts: 5076
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:18 pm

"Alejandro" is brilliant. You know that I love you, boy, hot like Mexico, rejoice! That bit has always been my favourite part. I do wish its music video were different, as this had great potential to be a chart-topper all over the world.

Cherry cherry, boom boom. "Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)" is much calmer than most of her other songs, and its "breezy atmosphere" makes it a massive earworm. While it may not be in my top 10 Gaga songs, I can see myself putting it towards the lower end of my top 20. I also think it's grossly underrated.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 49096
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby Mainshow » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:15 am

JakeP wrote:Alejandro had such a fabulous homoerotic video, i was truly in love with that video at the time. I just didn't like those black wigs they were wearing. :lol: :oops: The song itself had that europop sound that was popular in the 90s. Thinking about it now, i think this track had a big influence on acts like Clean Bandit with their song Rockabye. They definitely share a similar vibe. :wink:

Eh eh (nothing else i can say) is like the sound of candy floss, toffee apples and pink iced donuts. :lol: It's just so incredibly "sweet" but whilst i do enjoy this track, i still prefer the singles more.
Those black wigs were really irritating and I still don't get it why they had to wear them. - Interesting view on "Alejandro" having an influence on "Rockaybe".. I have never thought of it. Tbh, I highly dislike that track and I think it's utterly annoying but I tried to listen to it again after your comment and I think I slightly agree with you. Whilst the songs still sound very much different (thank God[ney]), you can clearly hear the europop vibes in both arrangements ;)

:lol: Love your comment on "Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)". It is indeed sweet..maybe that's why I like it so much. It's very different to GaGa's "extra-ordinary" stuff.

JSparksFan wrote:"Alejandro" is brilliant. You know that I love you, boy, hot like Mexico, rejoice! That bit has always been my favourite part. I do wish its music video were different, as this had great potential to be a chart-topper all over the world.

Cherry cherry, boom boom. "Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)" is much calmer than most of her other songs, and its "breezy atmosphere" makes it a massive earworm. While it may not be in my top 10 Gaga songs, I can see myself putting it towards the lower end of my top 20. I also think it's grossly underrated.
The phrase you mentioned is really catchy and it was stuck in my head for months after the song's release! - Yeah, I agree... the song was meant to be big at that time but the off-putting video didn't allow it to happen.. it was still kinda big here in Germany, though.

Oh damn, I love that "Cherry, cherry, boom, boom" line. It's iconic! I am glad you appreciate the song as well.. it is indeed freakin' underrated. I can totally see why most GaGa fans and little monsters do not love it as much as other extra-ordinary and exciting GaGa stuff, though, it's just too simple and sweet (which I like, though). :oops:
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Mainshow » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 am

#4: "Telephone (feat. Beyoncé)" (2010)

Next is a true dance-pop anthem: "Telephone" just missed my personal Top 3 and had been ranked #4 on my countdown. The song used to be my 2nd favourite song by GaGa shorty after its release but it turned out that very few tracks stood the test of time a bit better... anyway, the song is a pop masterpiece from the very beginning of the song (that flawless harp intro) to the very last second where the caller gets to the voice mail. The chorus is everything. That said, I am glad Britney didn't take this song 'causeI prefer "Phonography" to it (it fits Britney's vocals so much better) and GaGa and Beyoncé were nailing it. I love the synth-pop chaos, the clapping in the chorus.. it is definitely a stand-out single in GaGa's fantastic career
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Mainshow » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:13 am

#3: "Dance In The Dark" (2010)

The "Monster" EP was flawless and truly great but personally, I think that "Dance In The Dark" was the cherry on top.
The song itself is already iconic because of all its references to popular culture back then (look at all those amazing references to creatures of the dark like werewolves and vampires) as well as all those incredible celebrities which got killed in tragic ways. Also, the song is somehow empowering because of dealing with anxiety and being insecure while being disguised as a carefree-sounding synth-pop track with an incredibly catchy hook and a flawless production! Damn, I love this song.. it is sad it didn't make my #1 but GaGa's discography is way too strong :(

I still think it's one of GaGa's biggest mistake to not give this song the full single treatment. It deserved an epic music video since it was meant to smash on each and every national chart worldwide.
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Mainshow » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:15 am

My Top 10 so far:
#3 Dance In The Dark
#4 Telephone
#5 Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)
#6 Alejandro
#7 Just Dance
#8 Bad Romance
#9 Joanne (Where Do You Think You’re Goin’?)
#10 Marry The Night

and still so many amazing singles are missin' but there are only two spots left... any hopes? suggestions? which song would you like to see on top?
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Tansike » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:53 am

Mainshow wrote:It was indeed! - And the perfect opener for my countdown ;) I am glad you like the track and omg!!! I am shocked you haven't watched the video yet! #blasphemy
I thought you were a fan :D
I am a fan :P But I’m not someone who checks out many videos to be honest, not even all of my favorite artists. I think the video for “Marry The Night” came out at a point where I didn’t care that much for her which is why there wasn’t enough interest to check it out.

Mainshow wrote:It surprise me a bit that "Joanne"'s entry came across as a surprise for everyone commenting on this thread. Personally, I think it's a stunning, beautiful, touching ballad... on the other hand, GaGa is more known, loved, admired because of her fun up-tempo tracks (she can deliver both type of songs, though)
I simply think she already delivered better ballads which are more worth of a Top10 spot, especially “Million Reasons” or “Til It Happens To You”. As I said, I still enjoy “Joanne” a lot and it’s always cool to see songs which are more unpopular with the GP doing well on someones countdown. That’s the cool thing about countdowns like this. Imagine if everyone would have the same faves :)

Mainshow wrote:Hehe, #11 is indeed quite unlucky but on the other hand, I don't know if she really should overtake Britney, Madonna, Kylie, Selena, Lena, Katy Perry, etc. :D
Hmmm… :P

#6: "Alejandro"

This was such a huge summer hit for her. Ah. She really had a brilliant time during TF/TFM with all those amazing singles, and “Alejandro” definitely was one of them as well. It’s funny how everyone thinks this was the start of her fall… okay, from that moment on she was less successful with each release, that’s true, but I’m not really sure if the video for “Alejandro” was the reason for that. I think it was just oversaturation at that point, because everything she’s released slayed, musically and visually. If the video would have been as ‘bad’ as many people say, I’m sure the song itself wouldn’t be the hit that it is.

#5: "Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)"

Probably another unpopular song in your Top10, but I’m here for it. “Eh Eh” wouldn’t rank that high if I’d do a similar countdown, but every time when I listen to “The Fame”, I really enjoy this and I think I never thought about it as a filler or something. In fact, it’s actually one of the most enjoyable songs on her debut album. It’s so sugary.

#4: "Telephone (feat. Beyoncé)"

This SLAYS. “Telephone” definitely aged better than “Bad Romance” and is therefor my favorite song on “The Fame Monster” nowadays. I love that song, its video is epic and I can even enjoy Beyoncé. Should have been a much bigger hit for them, as it wasn’t even that successful compared to “Poker Face”, “Just Dance”, “Paparazzi”, “Bad Romance” or “Alejandro”…

#3: "Dance In The Dark"

Surprise #3, and I’m here for it (again)! “Dance In The Dark” was such a wasted opportunity to get yet another big hit from “The Fame Monster”, but I get their point of moving on. But seriously, this is brilliant. I think it aged similar like “Bad Romance” which is why I don’t think of “Dance In The Dark” the same as I did a few years ago, but I can’t deny that it’s still a great tune. Love the dark atmosphere & the lyrics.

Two more to go – no idea what may come. I think “Poker Face” won’t be on your list, simply by looking at which songs already made it. “LoveGame”, “Paparazzi”, “Born This Way” and “Million Reasons” would be deserved, though I also like most other possible songs (“Judas”, “The Edge Of Glory”, “Applause”, DWUW, “The Cure”… there are just so many and to be fair basically all of them are so good!) :oops:
User avatar
Tansike
Legend
 
Posts: 45380
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012
Location: Switzerland

Postby RayRay » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:34 pm

Telephone is one of my all time favorite GaGa songs. Great to see it so high in your list.
I also love Alejandro. Fell in love with it instantly.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12522
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby Mainshow » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:46 pm

RayRay wrote:Telephone is one of my all time favorite GaGa songs. Great to see it so high in your list.
I also love Alejandro. Fell in love with it instantly.
I am glad "Telephone" is one of your favourite songs by GaGa! It was really difficult to rank the Top 4 because "Telephone" is one of my favourite songs by her as well.

"Alejandro" was indeed an instant hit! So catchy!
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Erotica » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:58 pm

Telephone is my favourite Gaga single and song and also one of the best songs of the new century in my opinion. I also loved the video and think she will never do such a great song again. Even though some other songs were extremely good too.

Dance in the dark is a sweet album track for me, but honestly I never understood why people wanted it as a real single with everything and praised it so much. For me an overrated song even though it's nice to listen to. So happy I could die is a masterpiece though.
But on the other hand I agree it deserved a music video and so on, would have been good for sure and the Monster era was too short from me, I would have released all songs except Speechless as singles in the end :lol:
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
User avatar
Erotica
Legend
 
Posts: 16718
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014
Location: Germany

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:17 am

"Telephone" is epic! It's light years superior to the awful "Video Phone". Beyoncé's verse is my highlight, but the song is flawless really. I remember all the anticipation surrounding the video release. "Telephone" was one of the last really massive all-female superstar duets.

Yeah, "Dance" in the Dark" is one of the best pop songs of all-time. Love the lyrics and melodrama. It definitely deserved the full single treatment. It had the potential to be a global chart-topper.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 49096
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Thank you for your reply, Tansike!

Tansike wrote:
Mainshow wrote:It was indeed! - And the perfect opener for my countdown ;) I am glad you like the track and omg!!! I am shocked you haven't watched the video yet! #blasphemy
I thought you were a fan :D
I am a fan :P But I’m not someone who checks out many videos to be honest, not even all of my favorite artists. I think the video for “Marry The Night” came out at a point where I didn’t care that much for her which is why there wasn’t enough interest to check it out.
I am still really surprised you hadn't watched it before... I mean you are one of the most dedicated music fans I have ever (virtually) met.
Tbh, I stopped caring about GaGa when she released "Born This Way" but I still checked out all her music videos. It has always been an event :D

Tansike wrote:
Mainshow wrote:It surprise me a bit that "Joanne"'s entry came across as a surprise for everyone commenting on this thread. Personally, I think it's a stunning, beautiful, touching ballad... on the other hand, GaGa is more known, loved, admired because of her fun up-tempo tracks (she can deliver both type of songs, though)
I simply think she already delivered better ballads which are more worth of a Top10 spot, especially “Million Reasons” or “Til It Happens To You”. As I said, I still enjoy “Joanne” a lot and it’s always cool to see songs which are more unpopular with the GP doing well on someones countdown. That’s the cool thing about countdowns like this. Imagine if everyone would have the same faves :)
I love one of those ballads as well. Is it going to be part of my Top 2? #staytuned - But yeah, it is always interesting to see quite "unpopular opinion"-esque favourites on such countdowns. That's why they can be exciting ;) I am glad you are in for some surprises!

Tansike wrote:
Mainshow wrote:Hehe, #11 is indeed quite unlucky but on the other hand, I don't know if she really should overtake Britney, Madonna, Kylie, Selena, Lena, Katy Perry, etc. :D
Hmmm… :P
:lol: That shade :D

Tansike wrote:#6: "Alejandro"

This was such a huge summer hit for her. Ah. She really had a brilliant time during TF/TFM with all those amazing singles, and “Alejandro” definitely was one of them as well. It’s funny how everyone thinks this was the start of her fall… okay, from that moment on she was less successful with each release, that’s true, but I’m not really sure if the video for “Alejandro” was the reason for that. I think it was just oversaturation at that point, because everything she’s released slayed, musically and visually. If the video would have been as ‘bad’ as many people say, I’m sure the song itself wouldn’t be the hit that it is.

#5: "Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)"

Probably another unpopular song in your Top10, but I’m here for it. “Eh Eh” wouldn’t rank that high if I’d do a similar countdown, but every time when I listen to “The Fame”, I really enjoy this and I think I never thought about it as a filler or something. In fact, it’s actually one of the most enjoyable songs on her debut album. It’s so sugary.

#4: "Telephone (feat. Beyoncé)"

This SLAYS. “Telephone” definitely aged better than “Bad Romance” and is therefor my favorite song on “The Fame Monster” nowadays. I love that song, its video is epic and I can even enjoy Beyoncé. Should have been a much bigger hit for them, as it wasn’t even that successful compared to “Poker Face”, “Just Dance”, “Paparazzi”, “Bad Romance” or “Alejandro”…

#3: "Dance In The Dark"

Surprise #3, and I’m here for it (again)! “Dance In The Dark” was such a wasted opportunity to get yet another big hit from “The Fame Monster”, but I get their point of moving on. But seriously, this is brilliant. I think it aged similar like “Bad Romance” which is why I don’t think of “Dance In The Dark” the same as I did a few years ago, but I can’t deny that it’s still a great tune. Love the dark atmosphere & the lyrics.

Two more to go – no idea what may come. I think “Poker Face” won’t be on your list, simply by looking at which songs already made it. “LoveGame”, “Paparazzi”, “Born This Way” and “Million Reasons” would be deserved, though I also like most other possible songs (“Judas”, “The Edge Of Glory”, “Applause”, DWUW, “The Cure”… there are just so many and to be fair basically all of them are so good!) :oops:
"Alejandro" was still a big hit for her but tbh, I think it could have been bigger but it was the time when she was perceived as "off-putting" to the general public with all her homoerotic, "levelling criticism on the Catholic Church", "Madonna-esque attitude", Mother Monster stuff. It's unfair and maybe I am wrong about it but I seriously think that those factors are the main reason why the general public stopped being interested in GaGa. This AND her being on the charts everywhere (so I partly agree with you)... I really hope she will have other opportunities to smash again since she has so much potential!

I am glad you like "Eh Eh" being part of this countdown! It is criminally underrated. I knew the song had to be part of my Top 10 because I really do love it...but when I ranked all singles, I was indeed a bit surprised I had to rank it that high :D But I honestly prefer it to all the other singles which had been dropped before. So breezy and catchy!

Yeeah, "Telephone" should have been bigger! I am glad you love it that much as well (haha .. first you threw some shade towards Katy Perry and now Beyoncé?? :D)

I agree. "Dance In The Dark" somehow aged worse than "Telephone". Tbh, if I had done a countdown like this 4 years ago, "Dance In The Dark" would have been my #2, for sure. I just love it too much (that's why I didn't bother too much about it having aged the same way like "Bad Romance" did)... but another song (which totally got me by surprise) ended up being a ew alltime favourite. Are you ready for another surprise?
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:40 pm

Erotica wrote:Telephone is my favourite Gaga single and song and also one of the best songs of the new century in my opinion. I also loved the video and think she will never do such a great song again. Even though some other songs were extremely good too.

Dance in the dark is a sweet album track for me, but honestly I never understood why people wanted it as a real single with everything and praised it so much. For me an overrated song even though it's nice to listen to. So happy I could die is a masterpiece though.
But on the other hand I agree it deserved a music video and so on, would have been good for sure and the Monster era was too short from me, I would have released all songs except Speechless as singles in the end :lol:
Wow! "one of the best songs of the new century".. that means a lot coming from you. "Telephone" is a massive and iconic pop tune! It totally deserves to be classified as such! I am glad you like it being so high on my list! I am glad I didn't let you down :D

"Dance In The Dark" actually got released as a single in many territories and charted on quite a few charts. The song not having an accompanying music video is quite misleading. It should have got the usual single treatment. It was meant to be big. :D
I am glad you hate "Speechless" as well.. tbh, I think it had been the worst GaGa track ever before "Fartpop" dropped.
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:55 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Telephone" is epic! It's light years superior to the awful "Video Phone". Beyoncé's verse is my highlight, but the song is flawless really. I remember all the anticipation surrounding the video release. "Telephone" was one of the last really massive all-female superstar duets.

Yeah, "Dance" in the Dark" is one of the best pop songs of all-time. Love the lyrics and melodrama. It definitely deserved the full single treatment. It had the potential to be a global chart-topper.
Yeeeeeees! Totally agree! "Video Phone" was awful! I have no effing clue why no one of their teams told them that this song is abysmal and blasphemic to both of their individual discographies. - Truth told! - We need more massive female superstar duets! (Selena & Britney...we've been waitin' for too long!)

So glad you love "Dance In The Dark" as well! I love it being so dramatic as well! It was meant to slay.
Last edited by Mainshow on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Return to Personal Charts