Mainshow Goes Diva: Ariana Grande (#2 - #1)

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:59 pm

#2: "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" (2008)

And here it comes: Surprise #4 for Tansike.. unpopular opinion alert... I am f*cking obsessed with "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich"

It was one of the very first tracks by GaGa I have ever heard and even 10 years and an enormously huge bunch of worldwide hits later, I still go back to this dance-pop masterpiece taken from GaGa's debut album The Fame. The song has aged so pretty well and it still sounds fresh, unique, iconic today. The intro, all the "Bang Bang (Bang)"S and the line "Daddy, I'm so sorry, I'm so s-s-sorry, yeah" are so memorable! Those lines have been stuck on my head for a whole decade already :D
I love the song's nasty and unapologetic attitude whilst the whole production still sell it as a fun club anthem (even though GaGa is refering to her experiences with drugs.. so it's kinda autobiographical as well!). I also love the "simple" but effective and cool music video! GaGa looks flawless in this one!
Last edited by Mainshow on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:25 pm

#1: "LoveGame" (2009)

If I had to choose the most iconic and genius lines taken from pop songs, LoveGame's "Let's have some fun. This beat is sick. I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" would be very high on my list. Even though, it's basically a way to describe a person being horny and attracted to a stranger's dick, we simply do agree that it was cleverly turned into one of the best and most memorable hooks in pop music!
The song itself is still one of my favourite pop tracks I have ever heard in my entire life and even after 9 years, the "beat is still sick" and I can't get enough of this edgy, trend-shaping, pop-defining masterpiece!
The music video is also one of my favourite ones when it comes to GaGa's career. I love the underground setting, the choreography, the outfits, her hair-do (this suits her so well!) and some scenes were really shocking (which was quite difficult to achieve after Madonna, Britney...). The song simply never gets old and the music video i still worth watching! - Hope you guys aren't disappointed to see this as my #1 because I really adore "LoveGame"!

------------------------

Mainshow goes Diva: Lady GaGa

Thanks again for taking your time and commenting on my countdown, especially for coming back to this thread although it almost took me an entire year to make a new edition. I hope you enjoyed "Mainshow Goes Diva: Lady GaGa" although there was a long break in between. Lady GaGa was a great choice, I think, because her discography is so diverse and she is so talented in so many different ways! I can't wait to watch her movie!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:55 am

So I love LoveGame, a great song, fun like Poker Face too. I also wanted it as single and was glad it was chosen as a single. :)

Beautiful Dirty Rich is nice, but for me nothing special. Didn't listen to it that much.

The singles I miss in your top 10 are Applause and Do what u want ^^
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:18 pm

Erotica wrote:So I love LoveGame, a great song, fun like Poker Face too. I also wanted it as single and was glad it was chosen as a single. :)

Beautiful Dirty Rich is nice, but for me nothing special. Didn't listen to it that much.

The singles I miss in your top 10 are Applause and Do what u want ^^
I am so glad you love my number one Gaga single ad well! I was really happy when it had been announced as a single as well. It's my favourite Gaga song of all times!

Beautiful, Dirty, Rich deserved to get more plays from you ;)

"Do What I Want" was a contender to be my #10 but in the end, after some evaluation, I prefer "Marry The Night", "Venus" and maybe even "Judas" to it.
"Applause" has never been my cup of tea.

But it's really a good rate... You only missed 2 songs. So we can agree on 8/10?
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:16 am

So i'm playing catch up. :P

#4: "Telephone (feat. Beyoncé)" (2010)

This truly was epic in every single way possible. I remember when the music video premiered and i was like :o for 9 minutes. :lol:

Whilst i prefer Bad romance more overall, Telephone is definitely not far behind.

#3: "Dance In The Dark" (2010)

I bought The fame monster deluxe edition which looking back i’m glad as had i already bought The fame i would’ve felt a bit bleh about buying the same album twice just to get the amazing new songs. :oops: Dancing in the dark was a great discovery - i personally wouldn’t rank it higher than the other singles but it’s nonetheless a great track.

Oh! :( This was one of my lesser fave tracks from the album. I was loving the unashamedly pure pop songs so much more.

Gosh! No sign of Paparazzi which i thought was gonna be your #1. However LoveGame was such a typically Lady Gaga tongue in cheek song. The lyric “i wanna take a ride on your disco stick” is fabulous. :lol:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:43 pm

"Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" is good! I certainly agree that it's underrated, but you definitely appreciate it more than I do. For me, it's cute and catchy, simplistic pop executed with a cool swagger that I love, but it's 'just' 8.5/10 for me.

"LoveGame" is the song that made me a Gaga fan! I don't know why "Just Dance" didn't resonate with me, or "Poker Face" for that matter, but there was something about that disco stick hook that connected with me, and this was before I realised I was into them. :lol: Electro-pop circa 2008/2009 didn't get much better than that one, but I must say that I don't think it's aged that well for me. It was a 10/10 in my books almost 10 years ago, but it's slipped to somewhere around 9/10.

Overall, good countdown! I usually enjoy your surprises, and I did enjoy seeing "Eh, Eh..." and "Beautiful..." featured, but major boo at "Poker Face" not being here! :P
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:06 am

Mainshow wrote:
Erotica wrote:But it's really a good rate... You only missed 2 songs. So we can agree on 8/10?
Yes :)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:47 am

JakeP wrote:So i'm playing catch up. :P

#4: "Telephone (feat. Beyoncé)" (2010)

This truly was epic in every single way possible. I remember when the music video premiered and i was like :o for 9 minutes. :lol:

Whilst i prefer Bad romance more overall, Telephone is definitely not far behind.

#3: "Dance In The Dark" (2010)

I bought The fame monster deluxe edition which looking back i’m glad as had i already bought The fame i would’ve felt a bit bleh about buying the same album twice just to get the amazing new songs. :oops: Dancing in the dark was a great discovery - i personally wouldn’t rank it higher than the other singles but it’s nonetheless a great track.

Oh! :( This was one of my lesser fave tracks from the album. I was loving the unashamedly pure pop songs so much more.

Gosh! No sign of Paparazzi which i thought was gonna be your #1. However LoveGame was such a typically Lady Gaga tongue in cheek song. The lyric “i wanna take a ride on your disco stick” is fabulous. :lol:
Thanks for stopping by again!

"Telephone" was indeed "truly epic". Tbh, her image (outfits, the way she became that scary, crazy Mother Monster) started to be highly off-putting to me but the whole music video was such a big event and songswise, she still had a top-notch career!

Yeah, it was great you waited to buy "The Fame (Monster)". I bought the first version of "The Fame" when she debuted at #94 in Germany and dropped out of the charts the following week. After the success of her first two singles, the album got re-released, haha. I didn't mind buying "The Fame Monster" back then.. becuase I got the Monster EP tracks as well as 4 bonust tracks ("Paper Gangsta", "Disco Heaven", "Retro Dance Freak", "Starstruck") and the new versions of "LoveGame" and "Money Honey"...thus making it 12 new songs and 2 new versions on the re-release... it was basically a new record for me :D

A pity you don't love "Dance In The Dark" and "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" the same way as I do but I am glad you love "LoveGame".

"Paparazzi" has never been part of my favourite GaGa songs, tbh. I can't even bother to listen to it anymore... I can still remember that I was hoping for her to flop with this single so that she canstop being so "extra" and go back being the cool chic she used to be (I thought she was going over the top with her image and that video back then) and a friend of mine, who had been a huge fan of GaGa's back then, responded And I hope Britney dies" ( :o ) - No surprise, we stopped talking to each other, lol.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:52 am

JSparksFan wrote:"Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" is good! I certainly agree that it's underrated, but you definitely appreciate it more than I do. For me, it's cute and catchy, simplistic pop executed with a cool swagger that I love, but it's 'just' 8.5/10 for me.

"LoveGame" is the song that made me a Gaga fan! I don't know why "Just Dance" didn't resonate with me, or "Poker Face" for that matter, but there was something about that disco stick hook that connected with me, and this was before I realised I was into them. :lol: Electro-pop circa 2008/2009 didn't get much better than that one, but I must say that I don't think it's aged that well for me. It was a 10/10 in my books almost 10 years ago, but it's slipped to somewhere around 9/10.

Overall, good countdown! I usually enjoy your surprises, and I did enjoy seeing "Eh, Eh..." and "Beautiful..." featured, but major boo at "Poker Face" not being here! :P
I am glad you like my #2 even though it's a huge surprise. It's clearly a 10/10 for me ;)

Lovely and amazing to read that my favourite song by GaGa turned you into a fan of hers! - :lol: Haha, we all loved that disco stick hook and were hungry for some.
But I agree, the Electro-Pop ear of the late 00s didn't get better than "LoveGame" and in my opinion, also "Womanizer" (massive producition).

I am glad you enjoyed this edition of "Mainshow Goes Diva" that much. Tbh, I loved "Poker Face" back then but I think it just got massively overplayed and I truly believe that GaGa has better songs which are less repetitive.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:26 pm

Oh what a great idea for a thread. I'm sorry I missed so much of it, but commenting so I'll know the next artist you do :)

In the meantime, you're definitely keeping me guessing as to your #1. Like JSparks, disappointed to see Bad Romance at #8, I'd probably place that in my top two for her - nice to see that each solo album has a track in the top 10!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:32 am

cheapthrills wrote:Oh what a great idea for a thread. I'm sorry I missed so much of it, but commenting so I'll know the next artist you do :)

In the meantime, you're definitely keeping me guessing as to your #1. Like JSparks, disappointed to see Bad Romance at #8, I'd probably place that in my top two for her - nice to see that each solo album has a track in the top 10!
Thank you! - I really appreciate it that you like the concept of this thread ;) - Feel free to check the past editions (here on page 1 you will find my personal Top 10s of Rihanna, Anastacia, Katy Perry, t.A.T.u., Christina Aguilera and Lady GaGa all at the same time) 8-) - Will be looking forward to reading your upcoming comments. Hope you will like the next artist ;)

"Bad Romance" is indeed a fan favourite and I can totally understand why since it's career-defining, a pop masterpiece and totally catchy and even though I still love it, I just think that other singles did age better and like I have mentioned above, I prefer the "cool, fun, unapologetically pop" GaGa rather than Mother Monster but oh well!!!.... you are right! There are songs from each studio album on my countdown! I didn't notice that before! - That's indeed pretty cool and totally balanced! Thanks for pointing out!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:07 pm

Mainshow goes Diva: Ariana Grande

I've chosen Ariana Grande to be my next diva because of two reasons:

First, I'm currently running an artists survivor dedicated to the donut-licking Queen here on Ukmix and it made me realize how many hits she's already had and how much I appreciate her music. If you haven't takend part in the artist survivor yet, you are more than welcome to do so. Just follow this link..

Second, I feel so sorry for her. She is so young, incredibly sucessful and her latest album Sweetener deserves to be big but sadly, she's taking some time to mend and heal after a horrible and tragic terrorist attack last year and because of the sad death of her former boyfriend Mac Miller. She is still so young and already has so many tragic incidents to deal with :( - I fully support her (and her music) and one of the best thing I can do (besides buying her music) is to come up with a "Mainshow Goes Diva: Ariana Grande" edition.

On my last.fm profile, Ariana is my 13th most scrobbled female pop artist counting more than 1,174 plays in total.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Well, there won't be much I like then. :lol: Only one single was in my charts, two more are fine. That's it, and Sweetener has a great album track that's not a single. So i can't comment much this time (mostly how bad some songs are :lol: )
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:14 pm

Erotica wrote:Well, there won't be much I like then. :lol: Only one single was in my charts, two more are fine. That's it, and Sweetener has a great album track that's not a single. So i can't comment much this time (mostly how bad some songs are :lol: )
Oh no :( - I really hope you won't disappear and take a look now and then. I had no clue you dislike her so much :o I am actually quite shocked since she's heavily liked on this forum. - Which three singles do you like? I hope they will make an appearance when it comes to my countdown.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Mainshow wrote:
Erotica wrote:Well, there won't be much I like then. :lol: Only one single was in my charts, two more are fine. That's it, and Sweetener has a great album track that's not a single. So i can't comment much this time (mostly how bad some songs are :lol: )
Oh no :( - I really hope you won't disappear and take a look now and then. I had no clue you dislike her so much :o I am actually quite shocked since she's heavily liked on this forum. - Which three singles do you like? I hope they will make an appearance when it comes to my countdown.
I thought it's no surprise. :lol: I still look into the topic. I like Side to side, The light is coming and Into you is ok too. We will see.
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:28 pm

Unlike Erotica, i will be interested in seeing how the Ariana top 10 pans out. Since 2014, Ariana has grown so much as an artist and its a shame she's had to endure so much over the last 18 months. :(
JakeP
Superstar

Postby Fan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:50 pm

Mainshow wrote:Oh, I love to make a bit fun on What's App ;) That's just a way of showing how much I appreciate you as a friend. It was so amazing to see you and Jeroen again in London ;)
Yes indeed <3 :D Hope you see you soooon.

So I have a bit of catching up to do. GaGa time!! Reminds me of our dinner in London and how much you were bitching about the queen :lol:

Marry The Night is one of those songs I always kind of forget, especially the fact she released it as a single. It is such a great song though, but I totally disagree with your comments about the video. In fact, I would say it is one of her worst. I see where she was going, but to me it is WAY too long and super duper pretentious. I only really love the dance rehearsal scene. But yes, the song is massive.

Joanne <33 That song is everything. The piano versions gives me CHILLS. It is fast becoming one of my favourite GaGa songs as well and I am beyond thrilled to see it featured. This song just shows what an awesome, awesome singer this woman is. Was one of the highlights during her latest tour and that Grammy performance- she is a star.

Bad Romance will always be her to go to song for me. Honestly one of my favourite pop songs of all time. So, as I already said before on WhatsApp, this only ending up at #8 is a massive shame. For me, everything about this release was magical. I don't think I have ever been excited about a song as much as I was about this. From the moment it premiered at Alexander McQueen's magical fashion show, I just knew this was something special. The video is the best thing she has ever done, iconic iconic iconic. The looks! The shoes! The dance! I actually showed my boyfriend the video the other day, because he had never seen it before (can you imagine!?). The live performances she did, including the one in the bathub at X Factor. Yes, this would always be my #1.

Just Dance was such a track to launch your career. It is pure pop and so much fun. The lyrics don't make sense at all, but it is and will always be a bop. Hooked after the first listen and I knew she would be something else 8-)

Alejandro!! I feel like I am repeating myself, but yet again, an iconic piece of music. I love love love the summery feeling of the song, it is senual and super upbeat and puts a massive smile on my face. I know the opinions about the video were always very divided, but I adore it. The contrast between the summer feeling and the ice cold video is clever. I love the homo-erotic vibe it serves and think GaGa did she well with this. It is basically a fashion editorial.

Eh Eh is a bit of a funny choice. It is super cute. I enjoy it a lot. But would never place it in a top 10 myself.

Telephone- wow. The video is crazy in the best way possible and the song is a pop masterpiece. Seeing all these songs in your top 10 is just another reminder what a force she was (and still is, ofcourse). I love the 'I'm with my head and my heart on the dancefloor line'.

Surprised to see Dance In The Dark here, as I would not consider it a single myself, but it is obviously one of the highlights on The Fame Monster <3 And I agree that it should have been a worldwide single, would have smashed so so hard.

But mister, what have you done!? You just lost me with your top two :(
Where are Paparazzi? Poker Face? MIllion Reasons? Judas? The Edge Of Glory? Perfect Illusion?
Beautiful, Dirty, Rich is by far my least favourite GaGa single. I cannot even remember when I heard the song for the last time, total non-event.
LoveGame is cute and nice, but I have never really understood the big obsession. Yeah, the disco stick is very cool (we all love a good disco stick from time to time, don't we??), but other than that- not too much. So shame to end here!!
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:39 pm

Million Reasons is in the trash bin for sure, where it belongs to. :oops: :lol: And The Edge of Glory too 8-)
Erotica
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:02 pm

sweetener is the first Album by Ariana that I bought on CD, but I do love lots of pre-sweetener era Songs such as: Just A Little Bit Of Your Heart, Break Free, Dangerous Woman, Focus,...

so I hope to see at least one of These Songs in your Top 10 :-P

as for LG: I do think "Born This Way" is her strongest song so far.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:23 am

Erotica wrote:
Mainshow wrote:
I thought it's no surprise. :lol: I still look into the topic. I like Side to side, The light is coming and Into you is ok too. We will see.
Interesting choices and thanks for still looking into this thread! - Time will tell if we will see those songs as part of my countdown ;)

JakeP wrote:Unlike Erotica, i will be interested in seeing how the Ariana top 10 pans out. Since 2014, Ariana has grown so much as an artist and its a shame she's had to endure so much over the last 18 months. :(
She has indeed grown as an artist and she's meant to be big. I feel so sorry for her she has to deal with so many horrible things and so much pain at such a young age.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:43 am

Fan wrote:
Mainshow wrote:Oh, I love to make a bit fun on What's App ;) That's just a way of showing how much I appreciate you as a friend. It was so amazing to see you and Jeroen again in London ;)
Yes indeed <3 :D Hope you see you soooon.

So I have a bit of catching up to do. GaGa time!! Reminds me of our dinner in London and how much you were bitching about the queen :lol:

Marry The Night is one of those songs I always kind of forget, especially the fact she released it as a single. It is such a great song though, but I totally disagree with your comments about the video. In fact, I would say it is one of her worst. I see where she was going, but to me it is WAY too long and super duper pretentious. I only really love the dance rehearsal scene. But yes, the song is massive.

Joanne <33 That song is everything. The piano versions gives me CHILLS. It is fast becoming one of my favourite GaGa songs as well and I am beyond thrilled to see it featured. This song just shows what an awesome, awesome singer this woman is. Was one of the highlights during her latest tour and that Grammy performance- she is a star.

Bad Romance will always be her to go to song for me. Honestly one of my favourite pop songs of all time. So, as I already said before on WhatsApp, this only ending up at #8 is a massive shame. For me, everything about this release was magical. I don't think I have ever been excited about a song as much as I was about this. From the moment it premiered at Alexander McQueen's magical fashion show, I just knew this was something special. The video is the best thing she has ever done, iconic iconic iconic. The looks! The shoes! The dance! I actually showed my boyfriend the video the other day, because he had never seen it before (can you imagine!?). The live performances she did, including the one in the bathub at X Factor. Yes, this would always be my #1.

Just Dance was such a track to launch your career. It is pure pop and so much fun. The lyrics don't make sense at all, but it is and will always be a bop. Hooked after the first listen and I knew she would be something else 8-)

Alejandro!! I feel like I am repeating myself, but yet again, an iconic piece of music. I love love love the summery feeling of the song, it is senual and super upbeat and puts a massive smile on my face. I know the opinions about the video were always very divided, but I adore it. The contrast between the summer feeling and the ice cold video is clever. I love the homo-erotic vibe it serves and think GaGa did she well with this. It is basically a fashion editorial.

Eh Eh is a bit of a funny choice. It is super cute. I enjoy it a lot. But would never place it in a top 10 myself.

Telephone- wow. The video is crazy in the best way possible and the song is a pop masterpiece. Seeing all these songs in your top 10 is just another reminder what a force she was (and still is, ofcourse). I love the 'I'm with my head and my heart on the dancefloor line'.

Surprised to see Dance In The Dark here, as I would not consider it a single myself, but it is obviously one of the highlights on The Fame Monster <3 And I agree that it should have been a worldwide single, would have smashed so so hard.

But mister, what have you done!? You just lost me with your top two :(
Where are Paparazzi? Poker Face? MIllion Reasons? Judas? The Edge Of Glory? Perfect Illusion?
Beautiful, Dirty, Rich is by far my least favourite GaGa single. I cannot even remember when I heard the song for the last time, total non-event.
LoveGame is cute and nice, but I have never really understood the big obsession. Yeah, the disco stick is very cool (we all love a good disco stick from time to time, don't we??), but other than that- not too much. So shame to end here!!
Your comeback hit my thread(s) so hard :D What a massive comment! Thanks!

When we had that dinner in London, I was in a full Britney mode and tbh, even though I still like GaGa, I just think that she's a bit "not authentic" and more of a musical act. Anyway, she has amazing singles and massive tunes under her belt and as previously mentioned above, she's my 11th most scrobbled female pop artist of alltimes :D

I am shocked you have so many negative words for "Marry The Night" since it's the only single taken from "Born This Way" I truly enjoy. That album was quite a big "NO" from me apart from that song and "Judas" (was close to be part of my top 10), "Heavy Metal Lover", "Black Jesus Amen Fashion", "Government Hooker" and maybe "Bloody Mary".

Yay! Finally someone who really loves seing "Joanne" as part of My Top 10! It's one of her most beautiful songs and it deserves to be huge! I am glad to read it gives you chills :D

Hehe, "Bad Romance" is indeed massive and it deserved all the success it got but I still believe it aged terribly and I am not into those "mama ramama" sounds GaGa used to throw in randomly between phrases at that time. I am glad it gives you so much joy and has become one of your favourite songs of alltime, though! But #8 is quite good for me, tbh, I even thought of not including it on my countdown for a while because the last places were so effing competitive!

"Just Dance" is jsut a well-produced pop song with a freaking catchy hook, I agree.. but oh well, when it comes to pop songs, the lyrics don't have to make sense all the time.

"Alejandro" - I loved reading your love letter and you can always come back to this thread and say "iconic" as often as it pleases you haha. I don't dislike the music video.. I just think it's the beginning of GaGa's "downfall" as she has become quite off-putting for the general public, to some extent.
I have never thought of the portrayed contrast of the dark and cold music video and the summer-ish and warm song itself! Interesthing thought!

I am glad I was able to surprise you and others with placing "Eh Eh" in my countdown. I truly love it! I miss fun GaGa!

I love what you wrote about "Telephone" and I totally agree! I love that line as well... in fact, the lyrics are way too repetitive and uneventful to call it a well-written song but the whole concept/metaphor/idea of not being able to break up because one is about to dance all night long is just genius (for a pop song).

Since time has changed, I do count promotional and radio singles for my countdowns. I mean, "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" and "Eh Eh" haven't been singles here in Germany either.... "Dance In The Dark" deserves to be huge! For a few years, that song was my favourite GaGa track (maybe together with "LoveGAme"),.

Sad to read that I disappointed you with my entire Top 2 because I absolutely adore both songs so much.

I have never really liked "Paparazzi" and "Perfect Illusion" must be one of the most horrible tracks by a female artist I have ever heard.... I like "Million Reasons" but since GaGa's discography is quite massive, it was not even close....

Thank you again for your comment and hope to see you when my Ariana coutndown kicks off.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:49 am

Erotica wrote:Million Reasons is in the trash bin for sure, where it belongs to. :oops: :lol: And The Edge of Glory too 8-)
#harsh :lol:

luckyONE wrote:sweetener is the first Album by Ariana that I bought on CD, but I do love lots of pre-sweetener era Songs such as: Just A Little Bit Of Your Heart, Break Free, Dangerous Woman, Focus,...

so I hope to see at least one of These Songs in your Top 10 :-P

as for LG: I do think "Born This Way" is her strongest song so far.
Nice to see you back!

Interesting to read tjhat "Sweetener" is the first song you bought when it comes to Ariana Grande. - "Just A Little Bit Of Your Heart" is indeed great! Has it been a single? (need to check again before presenting my countdown).

Btw, you can save all songs you mentioned in my ARIANA GRANDE | ARTIST SURIVOR | ROUND 3 at the moment ;)

I can still remember that you love(d) "Born This Way". It's not my cup of tea but I appreciate the effort of coming up with an empowering LGTBI+ anthem.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:54 pm

#10: "The Light Is Coming (feat. Nicki Minaj)" (2018)

Is there a better way to kick off the Ariana Grande edition of Mainshow Goes Diva than ranking Pharell's best work on her latest studio album "Sweetener"?
Instead of choosing another well-thought and a bit formulaic pop masterpiece, the donut-licking queen chose to release the edgy and hypnotising "The Light Is Coming" as the second (promotional) single of her latest project. Although the song itself is a bit reptitive, I think it's an adventurous ride: Strangely, the weird sample taken from a public debate on private insurance of Arlen Specter, a senator from the state of Pennsylvania fits perfectly and is super catchy. The monotonous beat contrasts Ariana's very much alive-sounding voice and makes this song even more unique. The only thing I dislike about this track? - Nicki Minaj's verse could have been a bit longer and/or a different middle 8 part would not have harmed.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Yes, a good song, even though many didn't like it. Much better than the other two singles from the album. The Pharrell tracks are better in general.
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:58 pm

I like The light is coming but it did get a bit boring quite quickly for me. I find the official singles far more endearing to listen to.
JakeP
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts