Mainshow Goes Diva: Ariana Grande (#2 - #1)

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:55 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Phoenix, I feel the same way about Greedy :lol: I really wanted it as a single and was so mad when Everyday was selected instead.
<3

Mainshow wrote:Oh, I had no clue that "Greedy" was meant to be a single but "Everyday" got that spot :D Personally, I think she did the right decision since I prefer that track to "Greedy" a lot but oh well... I could have lived with a few more single choices in general. That album was loaded with potential hits!
Ah, sorry - I just meant that I wished "Greedy" had been chosen as a single instead of "Everyday" (and I think it would've done better), but I'm not sure if Ari/her team ever seriously considered making it one. I totally agree that Dangerous Woman had several untapped potential hits!

Mainshow wrote:Who cares about grammar in pop music? :D I am glad you love "Break Free" that much, especially since that's the song which introduced me to Ariana! - How many weeks did it spend at #1 on your personal chart?
"Break Free" spent a week at No. 1 (turnover on top of my chart is pretty fast), but it's spent 25 weeks overall. Only 17 songs have racked up that many cumulative weeks (out of thousands of entries over the years).

• I love learning the story of your journey to Ari fandom: so "Break Free" was her first single that really caught your attention, and then "Love Me Harder" was the tune that convinced you to dive into a full album of hers. Both EXCELLENT picks (her single selection was on-point that era), so it's great to discover that they had such a meaningful (and lasting) impact on you!

• Speaking of My Everything singles, "One Last Time" was an early standout on that album that took on a whole 'nother level of significance after the Manchester tragedy. From a catchy "please forgive me" anthem to a symbol of unity and perseverance in the wake of something truly horrifying.

• The quality just keeps on coming with "Breathin" up next <3 In addition to the massive personal-relatability factor of trying to manage anxiety on a daily basis, I also really appreciate how Ari helps to normalize/de-stigmatize mental health struggles by being so candid with some of her own experiences on this track and "Get Well Soon" - doing her part to tear down the misconceptions that such issues are a.) not real, and b.) something to keep to yourself.

SUCH a strong batch, Mainshow! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:20 pm

RayRay wrote:Love Me Harder, but especially One Last Time are among my favorite Ariana songs.
Thanks! I am glad you liked the last bunch of songs that much!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:31 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Love Me Harder" is cool, but I'm not that impressed by it.

The tragic and senseless Manchester event certainly amplified my appreciation for "One Last Time". I think it's one of her stronger singles.

Well, what can I say about "Breathin"? It's flawless. I've been really stressed out at work the past few months, and "Breathin" is such a powerful therapeutic session that reminds me to take things one challenge at a time, take the necessary time to rest and regroup, and to keep pressing on. The pig video is cute, and I particularly love that she released it on World Mental Health Day, but I hope the official video is as good as the song because the track is too powerful to be let down by an underwhelming visual. Also, and maybe this is asking too much, I hope this becomes a global chart-topper because mainstream radio could use this message right now. Even if it does flop, I think the song has helped so many people suffering with anxiety, and that's the real win.

I wouldn't have minded "Breathin" at #1, but let's see where "God Is a Woman" lands! *Fingers crossed*

Mainshow wrote:OMG :D Harsh words on "Break Free" :D - It is a bit generic but it's how I discovered her & it's super catchy and well-produced (when it came out) (now it sounds dated) but it's definitely one of her most remarkable songs of her entire catalogue, in my opinion.. and btw, it even entered the Top 10 of the Ariana Grande - Artist Survivor... it seems that many ppl love it :D , e.g.
Yeah, I'm definitely in the minority! :lol:

Mainshow wrote:Yes ;) Today ;) - I wanted to regurlarly post here in the Chart section but sadly, I have been busy with work and university (my masters kicked off) and I spent 4 days in Poland with my family and attended an amazing concert in Warsaw ;) [pls come to Europe soon! I still need and wnat to show you around]
Ah, it's always healthy to step back and enjoy the offline world, and sounds like you had fun! I don't always love the Within Temptation songs I check out on Tansike's chart, but most of them are decent, and they have great vocals!

I'm always talking about about my future western European tour, but it's about time I put words into action!
"Love Me Harder" made me liker her ;) It's a pity you don't love the song as much as I do :D

OLT <3 It will remain one of her most powerful songs ever.

"Breathin" is indeed uplifting and like you said, kinda therapeutic. It reminds us that we all are human and need a break sometime. The production is sublime, too. I had no clue she released the pig video on World Mental Health Day! What a nice and fitting gesture! - I don't want "Breathin" to flop (even though it's quite likely now since "Thank u, next" is already a smash).

Wow! It would have been your #1? Like a real contender for the top spot of your favourite Ariana singles of all-time?

I hope you will check out Within Temptation's upcoming album. They seem to go a bit more Linkin Park and at the same time, back to their Symphonic roots this time :D - It's really about time! My parents still ask me from time to time what you are doing :D
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:35 pm

phoenix98 wrote:
cheapthrills wrote:Phoenix, I feel the same way about Greedy :lol: I really wanted it as a single and was so mad when Everyday was selected instead.
<3

Mainshow wrote:Oh, I had no clue that "Greedy" was meant to be a single but "Everyday" got that spot :D Personally, I think she did the right decision since I prefer that track to "Greedy" a lot but oh well... I could have lived with a few more single choices in general. That album was loaded with potential hits!
Ah, sorry - I just meant that I wished "Greedy" had been chosen as a single instead of "Everyday" (and I think it would've done better), but I'm not sure if Ari/her team ever seriously considered making it one. I totally agree that Dangerous Woman had several untapped potential hits!

Mainshow wrote:Who cares about grammar in pop music? :D I am glad you love "Break Free" that much, especially since that's the song which introduced me to Ariana! - How many weeks did it spend at #1 on your personal chart?
"Break Free" spent a week at No. 1 (turnover on top of my chart is pretty fast), but it's spent 25 weeks overall. Only 17 songs have racked up that many cumulative weeks (out of thousands of entries over the years).

• I love learning the story of your journey to Ari fandom: so "Break Free" was her first single that really caught your attention, and then "Love Me Harder" was the tune that convinced you to dive into a full album of hers. Both EXCELLENT picks (her single selection was on-point that era), so it's great to discover that they had such a meaningful (and lasting) impact on you!

• Speaking of My Everything singles, "One Last Time" was an early standout on that album that took on a whole 'nother level of significance after the Manchester tragedy. From a catchy "please forgive me" anthem to a symbol of unity and perseverance in the wake of something truly horrifying.

• The quality just keeps on coming with "Breathin" up next <3 In addition to the massive personal-relatability factor of trying to manage anxiety on a daily basis, I also really appreciate how Ari helps to normalize/de-stigmatize mental health struggles by being so candid with some of her own experiences on this track and "Get Well Soon" - doing her part to tear down the misconceptions that such issues are a.) not real, and b.) something to keep to yourself.

SUCH a strong batch, Mainshow! :D
Ah, now I do understand. However, "Greedy" would have done better as a single (perhaps) but I seriously prefer "Everyday". It's less diva-esque and more vibe-y :D

25 wks is a great achievement! wow. It was a huge success ;)

Thanks for reading my lousy texts and even liking my story, how I saw the light and fell in love with Ariana :D It was a long way haha.

And I agree, her singles for "My Everything" were all excellent. It was the era which made her an international A-list celebrity!

So glad you liked this bunch of songs so much! Dunno how I can make it even better.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:09 pm

#4: "Side To Side (feat. Nicki Minaj)" (2016)

One of Erotica's few favourite songs by Ariana has to drop now and it's the massive chart-topper gym/sex anthem "Side To Side" and in my opinion, Ariana's finest "Nicki Minaj collaboration" even "The Light Is Coming" and "Bed" are great, as well. The song is really something different for Ariana and even sounds fresh today. I like the Reggae/Pop/Rap mix. It's insane that more than 1.4 billion people watched the music video on Youtube but I can totaly understand why,.. some shots get you hympnotized :D
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:31 pm

#3: "Into You" (2016)

Being ranked #3,"into You" can be called one of my favourite pop tracks ever. The pulsing beat in the verses together with Ari's deep vocals, the angelic and catchy bridge and the pure pop chorus make this song a masterpiece. It's a massive banger, a club banger, one of my favourite tracks to sing along (while driving). After "Touch It", it's clearly my favourite track on Dangerous Woman.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby RayRay » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:42 pm

Great choices at #4 and #3.
RayRay
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:00 am

RayRay wrote:Great choices at #4 and #3.
Thanks for your comment! <3 Love both songs, too.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:58 am

I do like "Into You", it's a good song. There's this 80s Remix of the song on YouTube, which is really good, too. :lol:
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Erotica » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:05 am

Side to side is her best song and the only one that entered my charts.

Into You is a good song too and enjoyable.

So now all good singles have appeared in your countdown. ^^
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:58 am

I don't think I've ever sat down and watched the "Side to Side" video, but I see shirtless guys in the thumbnail, so maybe I need to give it a watch soon. :lol: The song is great, though.

"Into You" is brilliant. Before this year, it was my favourite Ariana song.

Mainshow wrote:"Love Me Harder" made me liker her ;) It's a pity you don't love the song as much as I do :D
Yeah, but we often differ musically, which is fine because our converging points feature some pretty special names. <3

Mainshow wrote:"Breathin" is indeed uplifting and like you said, kinda therapeutic. It reminds us that we all are human and need a break sometime. The production is sublime, too. I had no clue she released the pig video on World Mental Health Day! What a nice and fitting gesture! - I don't want "Breathin" to flop (even though it's quite likely now since "Thank u, next" is already a smash).
At least "Thank U, Next" is a good song!

Mainshow wrote:Wow! It would have been your #1? Like a real contender for the top spot of your favourite Ariana singles of all-time?
I can't say because I honestly don't know. "Breathin" and "God Is a Woman" are so different, and do completely different things for me, but they're both ridiculously epic. I'm going to need to sort this out soon, as year-end countdown season is beckoning! :lol:

Mainshow wrote:I hope you will check out Within Temptation's upcoming album. They seem to go a bit more Linkin Park and at the same time, back to their Symphonic roots this time :D - It's really about time! My parents still ask me from time to time what you are doing :D
A whole Within Temptation album? Oh my. Well, I've done crazier things, so maybe!

Aw, really? It's sweet that they still remember me after five years.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:50 pm

luckyONE wrote:I do like "Into You", it's a good song. There's this 80s Remix of the song on YouTube, which is really good, too. :lol:
Wow! Thanks for sharing it with me! The 80s Remix is so accurate! Love that sound! And I couldn't stop laughing at the "single cover" :D

Erotica wrote:Side to side is her best song and the only one that entered my charts.

Into You is a good song too and enjoyable.

So now all good singles have appeared in your countdown. ^^
I'm glad you like "Side To Side" and "Into You" being that high. It's a pity there's no more good songs left for you, though.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Fan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:08 pm

Into You!! Finally a song I know AND like.
It's catchy and I even play it from time to time. Can you imagine, me actually looking for an Ariana song on Spotify and clicking on the play button?
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:14 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I don't think I've ever sat down and watched the "Side to Side" video, but I see shirtless guys in the thumbnail, so maybe I need to give it a watch soon. :lol: The song is great, though.

"Into You" is brilliant. Before this year, it was my favourite Ariana song.

Mainshow wrote:"Love Me Harder" made me liker her ;) It's a pity you don't love the song as much as I do :D
Yeah, but we often differ musically, which is fine because our converging points feature some pretty special names. <3

Mainshow wrote:"Breathin" is indeed uplifting and like you said, kinda therapeutic. It reminds us that we all are human and need a break sometime. The production is sublime, too. I had no clue she released the pig video on World Mental Health Day! What a nice and fitting gesture! - I don't want "Breathin" to flop (even though it's quite likely now since "Thank u, next" is already a smash).
At least "Thank U, Next" is a good song!

Mainshow wrote:Wow! It would have been your #1? Like a real contender for the top spot of your favourite Ariana singles of all-time?
I can't say because I honestly don't know. "Breathin" and "God Is a Woman" are so different, and do completely different things for me, but they're both ridiculously epic. I'm going to need to sort this out soon, as year-end countdown season is beckoning! :lol:

Mainshow wrote:I hope you will check out Within Temptation's upcoming album. They seem to go a bit more Linkin Park and at the same time, back to their Symphonic roots this time :D - It's really about time! My parents still ask me from time to time what you are doing :D
A whole Within Temptation album? Oh my. Well, I've done crazier things, so maybe!

Aw, really? It's sweet that they still remember me after five years.
Thanks for your comment.

Oh, you clearly have to take your time to watch "Side To Side". It was such an event back then. Since it got over 1.4 billion views on Youtube, I actually thought that everyone on Ukmix has seen it already :D

Same here! "Into You" used to be my favourite song by Ariana. But her new era hit me hard :D

Truth told! I love it that we tend to listen to the same music but still chose different favourite tracks!

"Thank U, Next" is amazing! A pity my countdown has already started.. surely, it would have made an appearance on my lower Top 10 :D

Can't wait to see your year-end countdown! Clearly, I'm rooting for Ariana this time!

Cute comment on WT! - The upcoming Within Temptation will be their "pop"iest record according to a German magazine (despite it having a lot of heavy and symphonic arrangements). + It's only 10 tracks ;) I am sure, Tansike would love to hear your review as well.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:15 pm

Fan wrote:Into You!! Finally a song I know AND like.
It's catchy and I even play it from time to time. Can you imagine, me actually looking for an Ariana song on Spotify and clicking on the play button?
OMG that shade :( :lol: :(

Thanks for coming back and making a comment, though ;)
Hopefully, the next diva will be more "your thing"

I am glad "Into You" is a track you like to go back to! It's pop perfection and almost won the Artist Survivor here on Ukmix! (only 1 vote difference).

"Into You" should let your love for Ariana grow <3
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:49 pm

#2: "No Tears Left To Cry" (2018)

If I had considered myself a "casual" fan before, "No Tears Left To Cry" has probably been the start of me stanning for this incredible and talented young lady. This instant earworm made me fall compeltely in love with her. The production of this track is simply delightful and epic. The synths, the angelic choir, the House/90's verses. Strangely, this mix of a pop dancefloor smasher and an empowering gospel-ish anthem, sounds like one of the best pop songs of this decade. Ariana clearly revived pop music in 2018.. The emotional chorus gets me every time.

By the way, have you noticed the little bee in the end of its music video? It's a tribute to Manchester, the city in which the horrible and tragic terrorist attack at her concert happened, and the victims. The Bee is the symbol of Manchester standing for Manchester's role in the Industrial Revolution. What a clever and thoughtful and amazing idea! One simply HAS to LOVE ARIANA <3
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:08 pm

#1: "God Is A Woman" (2018)

It's time to reveal my personal number-one when it comes to Ariana Grande's singles and it's the Grammy-nominated "God Is a Woman" which should have been #1 in each and every country (#robbed). This divine and epic song making use of a very controversial song title and using it as a comparison to describe sexual satisfaction whilst wrapping everything up and present it as a feminst and liberating anthem is simply THE HIGHLIGHT OF 2018. The impressive song has been accompanied by a visually stunning music video loaded with tons of references to religion, mythology, art, pop culture and even featured the former Queen of Pop, Madonna. Seriously.. EVERYTHING about this release has been well-thought and perfect.
GIVE HER ALL THE GRAMMY's ALREADY!

Mainshow goes Diva: Ariana Grande

Thanks again for taking your time and commenting on my countdown! I hope you enjoyed this edition! - Personally, I think that it was a bit unfortunate that Ariana has taken a break from taking a break (hehe) and continues releasing flawless music because I would have loved to include "Thank u, next" but I actually thought of her taking a year off or two after her label's shocking announcement. Anyway, she's stunning, super talented and I am pretty sure that she will continue releasing great singles. Maybe I should go back and make a second edition in a few years xD)
Mainshow
Legend

Postby RayRay » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:03 pm

#1 "God Is A Woman"
#2 "No Tears Left To Cry"
#3 "Into You"
#4 "Side To Side (feat. Nicki Minaj"
#5 "Breathin'"
#6 "One Last Time"
#7 "Love Me Harder (feat. The Weeknd)"
#8 "Break Free (feat. Zedd)

Love the whole Top 8. :D
RayRay
Legend

Postby Fan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:37 am

Mainshow wrote:

I am glad "Into You" is a track you like to go back to! It's pop perfection and almost won the Artist Survivor here on Ukmix! (only 1 vote difference).

:lol: :lol:
Sorry mister!

I am sure I will like the next diva more.

No Tears Left To Cry is pretty good as well, it's catchy and the chorus is great! The video for God Is A Woman was quite brilliant, don't remember the song itself very much though.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:42 am

RayRay wrote:#1 "God Is A Woman"
#2 "No Tears Left To Cry"
#3 "Into You"
#4 "Side To Side (feat. Nicki Minaj"
#5 "Breathin'"
#6 "One Last Time"
#7 "Love Me Harder (feat. The Weeknd)"
#8 "Break Free (feat. Zedd)

Love the whole Top 8. :D
Thanks! I am glad we share 8/10! - I think I would rank" thank u, next" #9 or #10 though. I guess you would love that song, too? XD
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:43 am

Fan wrote:
Mainshow wrote:

:lol: :lol:
Sorry mister!

I am sure I will like the next diva more.

No Tears Left To Cry is pretty good as well, it's catchy and the chorus is great! The video for God Is A Woman was quite brilliant, don't remember the song itself very much though.
At least you are slowly getting more into Ariana. I am glad you like my #2. Before attending her concert together, you better go back listening to her other singles, though xD

Yeah, the GIAW music video is epic!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:53 pm

No tears left to cry is ok after some listens, but God is a woman is annoying.
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Erotica wrote:No tears left to cry is ok after some listens, but God is a woman is annoying.
Your comment made my heart bleed :( I love both songs xD
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:53 pm

"No Tears Left to Cry" sounded so pedestrian the first time I played it, but I've really grown to appreciate it. I still think it's a tad overrated, but it's a solid single, and it's great that it was a success on the charts.

However, "God Is a Woman" was the first song from Ariana that I truly regarded as flawless. It's a masterpiece really, the whole product: vocals, lyrics, production, music video. It felt like I was witnessing a real moment in pop music history, and a turning point in her career, where she elevated herself from the Disney/Nickelodeon class of pop females; neither Miley nor Demi nor Selena have a song this good. I suspect when her career's finally wrapped up, we'll look back at it, and regard "God Is a Woman" as her magnum opus.

Good countdown, Sven! I can definitely say I wholly endorse the #1 this time! 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:09 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"No Tears Left to Cry" sounded so pedestrian the first time I played it, but I've really grown to appreciate it. I still think it's a tad overrated, but it's a solid single, and it's great that it was a success on the charts.

However, "God Is a Woman" was the first song from Ariana that I truly regarded as flawless. It's a masterpiece really, the whole product: vocals, lyrics, production, music video. It felt like I was witnessing a real moment in pop music history, and a turning point in her career, where she elevated herself from the Disney/Nickelodeon class of pop females; neither Miley nor Demi nor Selena have a song this good. I suspect when her career's finally wrapped up, we'll look back at it, and regard "God Is a Woman" as her magnum opus.

Good countdown, Sven! I can definitely say I wholly endorse the #1 this time! 8-)
Even though I disagree with your statement on "No Tears Left to Cry" being overrated, I am totally "d'accord" with the rest of your comment.
It was nice to read about you thinking that "God Is A Woman"'s release marked her becoming a justified Queen and I completely agree. It's her magnus opus (so far), her own "Toxic".

Thanks for the kind and nice words! I am glad we agree on a #1 this times! And thanks for keeping coming back and commenting on my countdowns ;)
Mainshow
Legend

Return to Personal Charts