Cheapthrills' Top 100 Artists

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:34 pm

Hello!

I am actually not starting this for 2 or 3 months, but I am posting this now because I was hoping to seek out some advice from fellow UKMixers regarding calculations for this.

I am going to base this off my personal charts to come up with my top 100 artists. So, some questions:

1. If it is something you do, how do you calculate points for a particular song in general?

2. For an artist chart, do you distinguish between whether an artist is featured or lead? For example, Dua Lipa is featured on "Scared to Be Lonely," but Martin Garrix is the lead artist - would you qualify her for full points? Some other examples:
a. Love the Way You Lie - Rihanna?
b. Monster - Nicki Minaj?
c. E.T. - Kanye West?

3, If a song debuts in one year, but peaks in another, to which year do you attribute that song?

Thanks for any advice, and I hope to see you all when I start this. :)
Vote for your favorite Christmas songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:43 am

cheapthrills wrote:1. If it is something you do, how do you calculate points for a particular song in general?
If it's a Top 20 chart, 20 points for #1, 19 points for #2, and so on.

cheapthrills wrote:2. For an artist chart, do you distinguish between whether an artist is featured or lead? For example, Dua Lipa is featured on "Scared to Be Lonely," but Martin Garrix is the lead artist - would you qualify her for full points? Some other examples:
a. Love the Way You Lie - Rihanna?
b. Monster - Nicki Minaj?
c. E.T. - Kanye West?
For me, this has to do with how key the featured artist is to my enjoyment of the song. For all the examples listed, the featured artists play key roles (for me) so I'd give them full points.

cheapthrills wrote:3, If a song debuts in one year, but peaks in another, to which year do you attribute that song?
To the year in which it accumulates the greater number of points. On the off chance that the points are spread out exactly evenly, then to the year in which I feel best represents my love for the song, if that makes any sense (for instance, "Drunk in Love" first hit #1 on my chart in 2013, but it got most of its plays within, and I have more memories of it from, 2014).

cheapthrills wrote:I hope to see you all when I start this. :)
Looking forward to it.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Thanks, JSparks :D

I like your approach to featured artists. I guess I ask because there's a small handful of artists who have a lot of top tens because they are featured often rather than lead, so it feels like their position might be inflated.
Vote for your favorite Christmas songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Return to Personal Charts