Cheapthrills' Top 100 Artists 1997-2018 - COMPLETED

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:53 am

Vote for songs in the Summertime Madness Tournamentr!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:55 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:56 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby BodyShop » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:49 pm

I absolutely LOVE Audioslave and "Like a Stone' will forever be one of my favorite songs of all time.
I was in uter shock when Cornell commited suicide last year. So,so sad ! He was so talented,what a loss !

I never could get into Aaliyah,for some unknown reason,especially considering how huge she was while I was still young lol
Still,I was so shocked and saddened when I read about her death! Trully devastating news .
Daft Punk are good,I like them albeit I wouldn't call them 'faves'.
Nice start,CT :D
BodyShop
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:26 am

Yay!@ I was hoping Audioslave would get a reaction. I know there's so much lvoe for divas, but I really loved their music and was disappointed when they broke up. And even more so when he passed.

Aaliyah was a victim of timing really. The chart started in 1997 and she was gone less than four years later :(
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:15 am

I listened to "Doesn't Remind Me" and it wasn't bad.

I definitely know "Ho Hey" and I can confidently say it's one of the most meh big hits of the last few years.

Ah, Aaliyah. When I was younger, I didn't connect with her music, and I struggled for years trying to understand why so many R&B fanatics lauded her as this princess of the genre when her stuff sounded so forgettable to me. I don't know what happened in 2013 that changed the tide with me as far as she's concerned, but I started to get into her more pop-leaning hits, and by the following year, when "Don't Think They Know" was 'released' I was a card-carrying member of her fanclub. Her work with Timbaland is her best work, but she brings a unique, 'cool' quality to her music that is remarkably distinctive. Even though she's from the Janet Jackson school of dance and music, she was very much her own artist by the time she passed away, and I always fantasise about what she might've become had she not died so soon. I remember a few folks on Twitter saying that were she still alive, Beyoncé might not be where she is now, and whilst that's it a bit far-fetched, I do feel that she would have had more mileage than someone like Ashanti. "Are You That Somebody?" is iconic, and "Try Again" is deservedly one of her biggest hits, but "More Than a Woman" is my favourite from her. Also, and I don't know if this is just me fawning over her because she's deceased, but I think she's the most beautiful woman who ever lived.

Beyond their "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" song - which I only know because of it serving as the production framework for Kanye West's "Stronger" - and "Get Lucky", which most people alive with access to radio or the Internet probably know, I'm not too familiar with Daft Punk. Their work seems hit or miss for me, so I don't think their discography is one I'm eager to explore, but I'll get to it one day...hopefully.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:51 am

I might suggest Original Fire for Audioslave. Doesn't Remind Me was huge on my chart, and I love its message, but it does get a bit repetitive.

The Luimideers, well. If they weren't local, they might not have made the list, but it's really exciting whenever an act from Colorado has a hit because it's so rare. Maybe try Ophelia? I don't know - if Ho Hey didn't do it for you, they probably aren't your thing.

Aaliyah will forever be loved by me for Are You That Somebody. I have such great memories of that song, and I'm convinced had she lived, she would have been one of the biggest artists on my chart. She would have been popular for another decade, I'm convinced.

And Daft Punk - well, as you might notice, at this juncture, not much was taken to make the top 100 - they are really there off the strength of two massive songs. If the Weeknd hadn't featured them on two songs, they wouldn't have made the list at all. Still, I find it impressive that they found such huge success so deep into their career.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:19 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:21 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:22 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby BodyShop » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:53 am

Franz Ferdinand have so many good songs ! I love them !
Don't know the other 2 :oops:
BodyShop
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:18 am

BodyShop wrote:Franz Ferdinand have so many good songs ! I love them !
Don't know the other 2 :oops:
They are three very different artists. I'd recommend checking out Eric - he's really good! I'm not sure you'd be into Oliver's music, but you might like Melody.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:19 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:20 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:23 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:23 pm

Hey cheapthrills :D

So i'm already surprised at how this is panning out which is good because it makes this all the more unpredictable.

Leona & Britney in the bubbling under list. <3 Did they only have the one hit in your chart?

I love Get lucky that was one of my favourite tracks from 2013. <3

Emeli Sandé peaked with her first album. I've found Emeli quite hit n' miss but the songs i enjoy, i really enjoy. Next to me is my personal favourite track too. <3

Aww Kylie. My 2018 dominator artist. :lol: I've loved Can't get you out of my head pretty much since the very first time i heard the song, and i've continued to love the song ever since. Just a truly spectacular pop classic.

Eww at Lonely i hated that song with the chipmunks singing. :lol: :oops:
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:44 am

Leona actually had three - Bleeding Love is the bulk of her points, but she also hit with Better in Time and her Christmas single One More Sleep. Britney had four, but all except "Oops" missed the top five and spent only a week or two in the top ten. The other three are ...Baby One More Tim, Womanizer, and Hold It Against Me. She is actually one of the few artists to have a top ten in all three decades though.

I agree Emeli feels like a flash in the pan, but I really loved Hurts. In fact, I think I learned about Hurts from here at UKmix.

Excuse me, not just any generic chipmunks, but Bobby Vinton :lol: Akon making the list is a total fluke, and while I couldn't deny that he had a solid presence on the songs in none of them was it Akon that attracted me to the music.

Kylie literally just snuck into the top 100 at the last minute as Raining Glitter just peaked last week in the top five.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:57 am

Bubbling Under #145-#141

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:06 pm

"Next to Me" is good, but I much prefer "Read All About It, Pt. III", "My Kind of Love", "Hurts", and most of her other singles actually.

Kylie is so low, but after Britney, I've steeled myself for everything. :lol: "Can't Get You Out of My Head" was quite meh to me at first, but those La la la's found their way to my heart eventually.

Akon has done some questionable things as a person, but as an artist, I've pretty much liked most of his output. He was huge here in the mid-00s. I feel like, at its peak, I heard "Lonely" five times a day.

The Fray's "How to Save a Life" is one of the best songs of all-time! "Pray for Me" is the best thing Kendrick has ever done, but I suspect both of us are in the minority in believing that. "Motivation" is sexy, but Kelly's "Commander" is superior for me, as is her brilliant contribution to "Dilemma". Ah, Shaggy, another big radio staple act back in the day. I liked all of the (few) hits he had.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:18 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Leona actually had three - Bleeding Love is the bulk of her points, but she also hit with Better in Time and her Christmas single One More Sleep. Britney had four, but all except "Oops" missed the top five and spent only a week or two in the top ten. The other three are ...Baby One More Tim, Womanizer, and Hold It Against Me. She is actually one of the few artists to have a top ten in all three decades though.

I agree Emeli feels like a flash in the pan, but I really loved Hurts. In fact, I think I learned about Hurts from here at UKmix.

Excuse me, not just any generic chipmunks, but Bobby Vinton :lol: Akon making the list is a total fluke, and while I couldn't deny that he had a solid presence on the songs in none of them was it Akon that attracted me to the music.

Kylie literally just snuck into the top 100 at the last minute as Raining Glitter just peaked last week in the top five.
Gosh! :o So despite a string of chart appearances, Britney still only made #148. Those songs really did fall out of favour quick then. :lol:

I also loved Hurts and expected the song to be much more successful than it actually ended up being. The drawbacks of Spotify. Had that song been released now, it might've fared much better but Emeli maybe just suffered from bad timing. Although it doesn't help that all the singles that followed all failed to really ignite any interest in me.

Ok so i'm not gonna lie and pretend i know who Bobby Vinton is. I have heard of Alvin & the Chipmunks so just thought Akon was trying to be funny. :oops: Interesting point though as Akon has featured on a number of great tracks; Just dance, Sexy bitch and especially The sweet escape which i loved so much at the time.

Ohh Kylie got lucky (lucky lucky...never gets old :lol: :oops: ) to sneak into your top 100 then. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:59 pm

^Yes, she knocked another popular female artist out of the top 100 in the process :)

You're forgiven for not knowing Bobby . The chipmunk sample is from a song from the 50s or 60s called "Mr. Lonely," by one Mr. Bobby Vinton. :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:33 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:36 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:42 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:06 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts