Cheapthrills' Top 100 Artists 1997-2018 - #54 - #52

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:09 am

It's time for the 2000-2009 Female-Led Singles Countdown!
and my Top 100 Artists countdown!
More? How about a survivor based on a countdown?
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:10 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby BodyShop » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:59 am

Major Lazer is by far my favorite!
Jessie J is so hit and miss for me.
Akon had so many bops :oops: :lol:. And all of them sound sooo dated now :lol:
Kylie is an artist I wish I could become a fan of. She's such a sweetheart and I find myself rooting for her to succeed again BUT there's something lacking on her for me to like her music,it's SO weird lol.
Missy remains the best female rapper ever,period !
BodyShop
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:50 pm

Major Lazer was a complete surprise when I tallied the points. They've had a lot more music put out there than I realized.

I love Missy. I feel like she should have had a much longer career. She took risks and actually advanced the genre. I respect her so much!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Time for an update: :D

Kendrick Lamar has become one of the most successful rappers when it comes to features in my chart. The greatest, Freedom and Pray for me have all topped my chart. A very good result for a rapper considering rap music in general is not usually my thing, i just prefer rap in small doses.

Does Kelly Rowland also include any Destiny's Child tracks or purely solo singles? My absolute fave is When love takes over which was one of my anthems of 2009. I also love Dilemma, Stole and Work.

The first time i discovered Shaggy was with his mega hit It wasn't me not realising he'd been around for about 10 years by that point. :lol: Needless to say It wasn't me is by far my favourite Shaggy track. One of those songs that brings back all sorts of school memories. :lol:

Alan Walker was like a breath of fresh air when Faded was released in 2016. It was such an incredible song and remains his biggest hit in my chart where it spent two weeks at #1.

Jessie J has always been hit n' miss for me. I totally agree about Do it like a dude, i just didn't get that song at all. I still think its a mess all these years later. :lol: However, i loved Price tag, Domino and Bang bang, the latter going to #1 in my chart.

Troye Sivan is truly gorgeous and i adore his personality and attitude. He's been slaying so hard with his latest era but my affections all started with Happy little pill in 2014. TALK ME DOWN was set to be #1 in my chart until Adele came along with Hello and completely stole all the thunder in the world in 24 hours. :lol: So it wasn't until My, my, my when Troye finally got his first #1 in my chart. <3

Major Lazer's biggest hit in my chart remains Lean on which i still think is amazing. I don't remember Bubble butt at all so i watched that video and it all looked so wrong with those girls with big flabby butts twerking away. :lol: :oops:

I only really know and enjoy a handful of Missy Elliot tracks but i loved Lady marmalade which Missy Elliot featured on. I also like Get ur freak on, Worth it and the Basement Jaxx remix of 4 my people. 8-)
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:02 am

"Faded" is beautiful. If a lot of his other songs are in that vein, I'll have to start exploring his catalogue.

Perfect Jessie J photo to correspond with her number of chart-toppers. :lol: Jessie J is pretty hit or miss for me, but I do think she is a tremendously talented vocalist. "Thunder" is my favourite from her.

Hmm...I think Olly Alexander may have something to say about that "resident twink" title you assigned Troye, but it is always great to have a gay male artist enter mainstream consciousness. For me, Troye has been more of a singles act, but I'll definitely check out his upcoming LP with hopes of that changing. "My My My!" is lovely, but I think "Fools" is still my favourite Troye song.

Major Lazer did some great work with No Doubt on "Push and Shove", and of course "Lean On" is a big keeper, too. I'm listening to "Bubble Butt" now, and sounds rather meh.

Missy Elliott's "Get Ur Freak On" is one of my favourite tracks of all-time! I have to admit that I'm not as familiar with her discography as I should be. I'll definitely have to fix that one day. "Work It" is a classic. 8-)
If grass can grow through cement, love can find you at every time in your life.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:37 am

JakeP wrote:Time for an update: :D

Kendrick Lamar has become one of the most successful rappers when it comes to features in my chart. The greatest, Freedom and Pray for me have all topped my chart. A very good result for a rapper considering rap music in general is not usually my thing, i just prefer rap in small doses.
I think Kendrick is someone that will feature more prominently on my chart with his next album as long as he keeps up the same level of talent he has now. He'd be slightly higher if I charted him for The Greatest, but I actually dislike his appearance on that one :lol:

JakeP wrote:Does Kelly Rowland also include any Destiny's Child tracks or purely solo singles? My absolute fave is When love takes over which was one of my anthems of 2009. I also love Dilemma, Stole and Work.
Kelly's points do not include Destiny's Child, which were calculated on their own. You'll have to see if DC even made the top 100 :) When Love Takes Over and Work both contributed to her points, but I have always hated Dilemma!

JakeP wrote:Jessie J has always been hit n' miss for me. I totally agree about Do it like a dude, i just didn't get that song at all. I still think its a mess all these years later. :lol: However, i loved Price tag, Domino and Bang bang, the latter going to #1 in my chart.
All three of those songs contributed to her points. Her other #1 though, incidentally, is her take on Man With the Bag. You know me and my Christmas obsession. :)

JakeP wrote:Troye Sivan is truly gorgeous and i adore his personality and attitude. He's been slaying so hard with his latest era but my affections all started with Happy little pill in 2014. TALK ME DOWN was set to be #1 in my chart until Adele came along with Hello and completely stole all the thunder in the world in 24 hours. :lol: So it wasn't until My, my, my when Troye finally got his first #1 in my chart. <3
I saw Bloom is #2 on your current chart - don't you dare deny him another #1 :lol:

JakeP wrote:Major Lazer's biggest hit in my chart remains Lean on which i still think is amazing. I don't remember Bubble butt at all so i watched that video and it all looked so wrong with those girls with big flabby butts twerking away. :lol: :oops:

I only really know and enjoy a handful of Missy Elliot tracks but i loved Lady marmalade which Missy Elliot featured on. I also like Get ur freak on, Worth it and the Basement Jaxx remix of 4 my people. 8-)
I know Bubble Butt is a total non-starter with people - I'll know my soul mate when I find him because he will appreciate Bubble Butt as much as me. :lol:

As for Missy, you really should check her out. The music production on some of her songs may be dated now, but at the time it was a revelation.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:42 am

JSparksFan wrote:"Faded" is beautiful. If a lot of his other songs are in that vein, I'll have to start exploring his catalogue.
Faded is such a heart-breaking song. It came at such a perfect time for me. I was going through a loss and this song spoke my heart.

JSparksFan wrote:Perfect Jessie J photo to correspond with her number of chart-toppers. :lol: Jessie J is pretty hit or miss for me, but I do think she is a tremendously talented vocalist. "Thunder" is my favourite from her.
Same - I don't know Thunder - I will have to check it out!

JSparksFan wrote:Hmm...I think Olly Alexander may have something to say about that "resident twink" title you assigned Troye, but it is always great to have a gay male artist enter mainstream consciousness. For me, Troye has been more of a singles act, but I'll definitely check out his upcoming LP with hopes of that changing. "My My My!" is lovely, but I think "Fools" is still my favourite Troye song.
Hmmm, Olly is good twink competition, but with that Bloom video, my money is on Troye atm :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:46 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:47 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:49 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:28 pm

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:30 pm

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:32 pm

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:09 pm

I actually like "Happy" more than any of the songs Pharrell's been featured in. It's one of the best mega-hits of the decade, in my opinion. "Get Lucky" is next best for me. I was never crazy about "Blurred Lines".

John Legend didn't do much for me between "Ordinary People" and "All of Me" (I did enjoy "Tonight (Best You Ever Had)"), but it feels like since "All of Me" he has been delivering one quality single after the next ("Made to Love", "Glory"). I think "Love Me Now" might be my favourite song ever from him, and "Penthouse Floor" was strong, too.

What you wrote about Mary J's music coming from an authentic place and being able to hear that authenticity in her voice is so true! She'd be considerably higher for me. I can't think of many R&B acts that have impacted me more than Mary J in the last 20 years.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:32 am

True, I think if I were just ranking artists my how much I liked them this would be a completely different list. There's a couple artist who made the list I'm not even that fond of, but managed to put out a decent enough output to rank, and there's artists who aren't represented nearly as much as I have enjoyed their music, like Mary.

I agree John Legend has gotten better with time.

I'll be forever perplexed why Happy hit as late as it did. I saw Despicable Me 2 and instantly fell in love with the song. It was getting no airplay, and I figured it would be forgotten and maybe that impacted where it ended up peaking on my chart. Blurred Lines and Get Lucky were the bigger news at the time.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:37 am

Bubbling Under:

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:42 pm

fun. have a few decent singles, Prince is a legend but I'm not a fan, Idina's "Let It Go" is one of my favourite songs of the last five years, I sometimes forget Diddy raps, and Nelly is okay. My favourite Nelly song, by a huge margin, is "My Dilemma", and that comes down more to Kelly than Nelly.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:44 pm

Well, Prince's 21st century output is enormous and not as well known - and really it was his Super Bowl appearance that reignited my interest. He later on had an instrumental called Disco Jellyfish that made my chart which is still one I enjoy by him today.

As for Diddy, I just found out his son is a rapper a coouple days ago - no idea - He goes by King Combs, which tells you just how long ago these songs that charted for me were. I don't think he's touched my chart since 2002 or 2003.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:47 pm

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:48 pm

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:50 pm

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:04 am

Interesting that Taylor's biggest hit on your chart is her duet with Zayn. You mentioned "Blank Space" as the exception to her solo flame-outs, and I have to say the video for that song is her best ever. The song itself is pretty good, too, though I'm sure there are no less than 30 Taylor Swift songs I prefer to that one. Cool that "White Horse" was her first song to debut on your chart, and not "Love Story" or "You Belong with Me". I always felt like "White Horse" and "Fifteen" were underrated.

I always wanted to love "Same Love", but the song fell flat for me, and I'm still not entirely sure why. I did enjoy "Thrift Shop", and "Can't Hold Us" was my 2013 year-end #1 song.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:44 am

Blank Space really should have hit #1. It got held out by a completely forgettable song too (Bright Lights by Syn Cole). I thought it was a nice glimpse of dark Taylor, but I didn't pick up that it was a sarcastic Taylor, which is less charming to me. :lol: I guess it is a little shady that Taylor needed Zayn's help to get to $1 on my list :lol: It did break her of the dubious distinction of having the most top tens for a female without hitting #1. That honor has now reverted back to Mary J Blige.

A great year-end #1! Such an amazing song that throws it all out there and somehow works. I agree Macklemore's work in Same Love was corny and sometimes misses the mark, but the vocal on it is so lovely and carries the song for me.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:59 pm

cheapthrills
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts