Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:14 pm

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:15 pm

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby BodyShop » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:17 pm

I used to love Usher and Amy will forever be in my top 10 female artists!
Never liked No Doubt lol
BodyShop
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:19 pm

BodyShop wrote:I used to love Usher and Amy will forever be in my top 10 female artists!
Never liked No Doubt lol
Amy's voice was so unique and how she made it work with the retro schtick was perfection. I am so sad we never got more music from her.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:25 pm

cheapthrills wrote:

Hmm yeah, I think I’ll put you at #75 on the next members countdown. Peace out
TheRealest wrote:Chy tf plz biscuits girl
biscuits
The Diva

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:39 pm

biscuits wrote:Hmm yeah, I think I’ll put you at #75 on the next members countdown. Peace out
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love you, biscuits
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby BodyShop » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:51 pm

cheapthrills wrote:
biscuits wrote:Hmm yeah, I think I’ll put you at #75 on the next members countdown. Peace out
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love you, biscuits
At lesst,he'll chart somewhere on your list :roll:
BodyShop
Manager

Postby BodyShop » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:52 pm

cheapthrills wrote:
BodyShop wrote:I used to love Usher and Amy will forever be in my top 10 female artists!
Never liked No Doubt lol
Amy's voice was so unique and how she made it work with the retro schtick was perfection. I am so sad we never got more music from her.
Even after 7 years,the thought of this still makes me sad :cry:
BodyShop
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:07 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:08 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:10 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:37 am

Hope you reconnect with Janet for her upcoming era!

Usher has had so many fantastic singles over the years. I think "Yeah!" is the best of the lot, but there are no less than 15 UR singles I'd consider keepers. He's easily among the Top 5 male artists of the last 20 years.

How did "Settle Down" and "Push and Shove" fare on your charts?

I think Amy has one of the most amazing voices I've ever heard. There was so much soul there, and her lyrics cut so deep. I played around with the idea of updating my top albums of all-time list, and Back to Black was one of the LPs in the running for #1.

Muse's "Uprising" is a cool song. I remember it faring pretty well on the VH1 Top 20 Video Countdown show.

"Move Like U Stole It" soundtracked one of my favourite TV scenes ever, so ZZ Ward holds a special place in my music library for that song alone.

Ah, DC, my second favourite girl group! They had a handful of classic singles - "Bootylicious" being one of them - but if DC had to be sacrificed to make way for Beyoncé, it was a worthy sacrifice.
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:06 am

Even though I'm sure biscuits has tuned this whole countdown out at this point, I actually really love Janet. I think I forgot just how many classic of the 90s she has had. She really is a treasure. But I will admit I didn't do any legwork to seek her out when she was blacklisted.

I do like Yeah, but it's one of those songs that underperformed, and I regret it later. Usher 2004 was like Adele 2011 :)

No Doubt's reunion didn't really register with me. I probably tuned them out because I usually feel reunions are gimmicky. I know that Push and SHove came up in Wayne's game and I didn't like it at all though, so it probably wouldn't have charted even if I had given it a listen.

I think Amy has one of the most amazing voices I've ever heard. There was so much soul there, and her lyrics cut so deep. I played around with the idea of updating my top albums of all-time list, and Back to Black was one of the LPs in the running for #1.

OMG, I just saw ZZ charted on your top 20! I will comment there :)

OMG, I love Bootylicious so. You'll have to stay tuned on the other countdown to see how I ranked it. :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:08 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:10 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:14 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:02 am

Playing catch up but wow at all the amazing acts you've mentioned since my last comment. :D Here are my highlghts (long post incoming :lol: )

Pharrell did well in my chart with Happy but his biggest hit is easily as featured vocalist on Daft Punk's Get lucky which would've been my #1 single of 2013. I only started my own chart that summer just before i joined UK Mix so never compiled an end of year chart.

John Legend topped my chart with All of me in December 2013 when it became a hit in Australia. I never really thought the song would go on to become one of the biggest songs of 2014 but i was loving seeing John Legend get a bonafide chart hit to his name. I also love Ordinary people and Green light. 8-)

I must admit i'm not overly familiar with many Mary J Blige songs but from those i know, i adore Be without you which sadly bombed in the UK, that song deserved to be a big hit. Mary's only appearance in my chart was with the vocal remix of Disclosure's F for you.

LOL whatever happened to The Ting Tings? :lol: I was never a big fan of That's not my name and was quite surprised it even got to #1 in the UK. On the flip side, i loved Shut up and let me go so much more. The song, the sassiness, the music video, for me this should've been their #1 hit.

fun. really benefitted from We are young being performed on Glee. I love the song so much, its such an unconventional pop song with its shift in tempo going into the chorus. Plus it was my introduction to Janelle Monáe. :wink: As much as i love the song, i've always found the music video really weird. :lol:

Prince will forever be a pioneer of big brash pop and an icon of a generation. He was the brainchild behind multiple amazing songs such as Purple rain, 1999, When doves dry etc...

Nelly's biggest hit for me remains Dilemma although Kelly Rowland played a key part in my love for the song. Apart from Hot in herre i have to admit i've never really got into some of Nelly's other hits. :(

I started out as a passive Taylor Swift fan. Love story was my introduction to Taylor when this became a hit in the UK. After that, i didn't really pay much attention until We are never ever getting back together came along. I've never bought any of Taylor's albums. It's a difficult one to explain, i tend to like her singles initially but i feel like i get over them fairly quickly too. :oops: My favourite Taylor song is I knew you were trouble.

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis was a perfect partnership who made rap music interesting for me. :lol: Thrift shop was the first song i heard from them when it was big in Australia. I love the humour they injected into their songs, plus Ryan Lewis was a great producer. Can't hold us was another great track i also loved too. Both would've easily been hits in my chart earlier in 2013. Same love became their first hit going to #1 in my chart. <3

Janet Jackson is undoubtably one of the worlds greatest female artists. I love the fact that Together again was Janet's biggest hit in my chart. It really is just a classic example of perfect pop music that holds a strong message behind its lyrics. Still baffles me how "nipplegate" effectively ruined her career because that only happened because of Justin Timberlake. :-? I wonder what might've happened had Janet exposed Justin's penis. :lol: :P

Usher is similar to Nelly. I know quite a few of his songs but only really like a small selection. Yeah is easily my favourite Usher song, but i will give credit to My boo which is another of Usher's finest tracks even though thats partly because of Alicia Keys involvement on the song. :P

When it comes to No Doubt, there is only one song that could ever be my favourite. Don't speak is a truly magnificent song and one of my favourite songs from the 90s. Although its a song i loved more as i got older. :lol: I was only 9 when it was a hit so didn't fully appreciate the song at the time. Hey baby was quite successful and by comparison it feels so much experimental in sound. Of course Gwen Stefani went on to totally own it with Love. angel. music. baby.

Amy Winehouse will forever be one of the greatest female singers. Back to black is my favourite album of the 00s, so if i were to ever do a JakeP top 100 albums of the 00s, you already know my favourite. Yet i have no recollection of her during the Frank era a few years earlier. Rehab is quite easily my favourite track and i'm pretty sure this would've been my #1 song of 2006. An astonishingly exceptional piece of songwriting imo. I can only echo others thoughts that it's such a shame we will never get to hear any new music from Amy. <3

Muse are one of those bands i discovered in my early teens and gradually over time started to get more into their music. Whilst their album Drones spawned a string of chart entries for me in 2015, my favourite Muse album is Black holes and revelations and i equally loved all the singles from that album. Supermassive black hole being my overall favourite. 8-)

The gorgeous and rather charming Martin Garrix really has matured into much more than just a button twiddling dj/producer. Since Animals i love how he went from that track five years ago to the more subdued but amazing Scared to be lonely, and now he's released a lush new single called Ocean. <3

Destiny’s Child hit their peak with the Survivor album, and i was loving that era at the time. Their harmonies and sassiness shone through with their singles and performances. I remember watching them perform at The brit awards in 2001 i think it was and they blow my mind. :o :lol: A shame the girls failed to keep that same level of momentum going with the release of Destiny fulfilled as from the singles released, Lose my breath was the only track i adored.

Selena Gomez has certainly come a long way throughout her career. It's really only in the last 3 years or so that Selena has come into her own. Her brand of pop music is so quirky and individual and whilst i might not have taken to songs like Bad liar, it's still commendable that Selena took a chance with that song. it ain't me is such an amazing track but credit to Kygo as his production brought the song to life.

Aloe Blacc has only been credited with one entry in my chart, and that is The man although it was more of a minor hit. However, his biggest smash came with Avicii's Wake me up even though he was uncredited, it's still technically his smooth soulful vocals that made the song as well as Avicii's trademark production skills.

Looking forward to seeing many more amazing artists coming up. 8-)
JakeP
Manager

Postby iNewYorker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:19 pm

JakeP wrote:Playing catch up but wow at all the amazing acts you've mentioned since my last comment. :D Here are my highlghts (long post incoming :lol: )

Pharrell did well in my chart with Happy but his biggest hit is easily as featured vocalist on Daft Punk's Get lucky which would've been my #1 single of 2013. I only started my own chart that summer just before i joined UK Mix so never compiled an end of year chart.

John Legend topped my chart with All of me in December 2013 when it became a hit in Australia. I never really thought the song would go on to become one of the biggest songs of 2014 but i was loving seeing John Legend get a bonafide chart hit to his name. I also love Ordinary people and Green light. 8-)

I must admit i'm not overly familiar with many Mary J Blige songs but from those i know, i adore Be without you which sadly bombed in the UK, that song deserved to be a big hit. Mary's only appearance in my chart was with the vocal remix of Disclosure's F for you.

LOL whatever happened to The Ting Tings? :lol: I was never a big fan of That's not my name and was quite surprised it even got to #1 in the UK. On the flip side, i loved Shut up and let me go so much more. The song, the sassiness, the music video, for me this should've been their #1 hit.

fun. really benefitted from We are young being performed on Glee. I love the song so much, its such an unconventional pop song with its shift in tempo going into the chorus. Plus it was my introduction to Janelle Monáe. :wink: As much as i love the song, i've always found the music video really weird. :lol:

Prince will forever be a pioneer of big brash pop and an icon of a generation. He was the brainchild behind multiple amazing songs such as Purple rain, 1999, When doves dry etc...

Nelly's biggest hit for me remains Dilemma although Kelly Rowland played a key part in my love for the song. Apart from Hot in herre i have to admit i've never really got into some of Nelly's other hits. :(

I started out as a passive Taylor Swift fan. Love story was my introduction to Taylor when this became a hit in the UK. After that, i didn't really pay much attention until We are never ever getting back together came along. I've never bought any of Taylor's albums. It's a difficult one to explain, i tend to like her singles initially but i feel like i get over them fairly quickly too. :oops: My favourite Taylor song is I knew you were trouble.

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis was a perfect partnership who made rap music interesting for me. :lol: Thrift shop was the first song i heard from them when it was big in Australia. I love the humour they injected into their songs, plus Ryan Lewis was a great producer. Can't hold us was another great track i also loved too. Both would've easily been hits in my chart earlier in 2013. Same love became their first hit going to #1 in my chart. <3

Janet Jackson is undoubtably one of the worlds greatest female artists. I love the fact that Together again was Janet's biggest hit in my chart. It really is just a classic example of perfect pop music that holds a strong message behind its lyrics. Still baffles me how "nipplegate" effectively ruined her career because that only happened because of Justin Timberlake. :-? I wonder what might've happened had Janet exposed Justin's penis. :lol: :P

Usher is similar to Nelly. I know quite a few of his songs but only really like a small selection. Yeah is easily my favourite Usher song, but i will give credit to My boo which is another of Usher's finest tracks even though thats partly because of Alicia Keys involvement on the song. :P

When it comes to No Doubt, there is only one song that could ever be my favourite. Don't speak is a truly magnificent song and one of my favourite songs from the 90s. Although its a song i loved more as i got older. :lol: I was only 9 when it was a hit so didn't fully appreciate the song at the time. Hey baby was quite successful and by comparison it feels so much experimental in sound. Of course Gwen Stefani went on to totally own it with Love. angel. music. baby.

Amy Winehouse will forever be one of the greatest female singers. Back to black is my favourite album of the 00s, so if i were to ever do a JakeP top 100 albums of the 00s, you already know my favourite. Yet i have no recollection of her during the Frank era a few years earlier. Rehab is quite easily my favourite track and i'm pretty sure this would've been my #1 song of 2006. An astonishingly exceptional piece of songwriting imo. I can only echo others thoughts that it's such a shame we will never get to hear any new music from Amy. <3

Muse are one of those bands i discovered in my early teens and gradually over time started to get more into their music. Whilst their album Drones spawned a string of chart entries for me in 2015, my favourite Muse album is Black holes and revelations and i equally loved all the singles from that album. Supermassive black hole being my overall favourite. 8-)

The gorgeous and rather charming Martin Garrix really has matured into much more than just a button twiddling dj/producer. Since Animals i love how he went from that track five years ago to the more subdued but amazing Scared to be lonely, and now he's released a lush new single called Ocean. <3

Destiny’s Child hit their peak with the Survivor album, and i was loving that era at the time. Their harmonies and sassiness shone through with their singles and performances. I remember watching them perform at The brit awards in 2001 i think it was and they blow my mind. :o :lol: A shame the girls failed to keep that same level of momentum going with the release of Destiny fulfilled as from the singles released, Lose my breath was the only track i adored.

Selena Gomez has certainly come a long way throughout her career. It's really only in the last 3 years or so that Selena has come into her own. Her brand of pop music is so quirky and individual and whilst i might not have taken to songs like Bad liar, it's still commendable that Selena took a chance with that song. it ain't me is such an amazing track but credit to Kygo as his production brought the song to life.

Aloe Blacc has only been credited with one entry in my chart, and that is The man although it was more of a minor hit. However, his biggest smash came with Avicii's Wake me up even though he was uncredited, it's still technically his smooth soulful vocals that made the song as well as Avicii's trademark production skills.

Be Without You charted top 40 and top 20 (the dance version) in the U.K. Also, that album sold, like, 600,000 copies in the UK. I wouldn't consider that a bombed song.
iNewYorker
Personal Assistant

Postby JakeP » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:17 pm

iNewYorker wrote:Be Without You charted top 40 and top 20 (the dance version) in the U.K. Also, that album sold, like, 600,000 copies in the UK. I wouldn't consider that a bombed song.
Hi iNewYorker, thanks for the info. I don't really follow album charts so didn't realise the album has strong sales. <3

It's still a shame that Be without you wasn't a top 10 hit. :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby BodyShop » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Selena is a big MEH for me.
There's not a single song of her that I can say I like lol
Only Kesha and Demi are worst than her for me :lol:
BodyShop
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:37 pm

BodyShop wrote:Selena is a big MEH for me.
There's not a single song of her that I can say I like lol
Only Kesha and Demi are worst than her for me :lol:
OMG, JakeP wrote a novel - I will have to circle back to that after I post the next set of three.

But yours is a little shorter :lol:

I am so sad to hear you dislike Selena :cry: I think her material keeps getting better. You really should give Bad Liar a few listens - I was caught off guard with it at first, but I realized it was rally different and enjoyable. And the video is trippy. :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:38 pm

OK here is my response :D

JakeP wrote:Pharrell did well in my chart with Happy but his biggest hit is easily as featured vocalist on Daft Punk's Get lucky which would've been my #1 single of 2013. I only started my own chart that summer just before i joined UK Mix so never compiled an end of year chart.
First of all, thanks for your thorough review of everything! I'll try to respond to some of this. Get Lucky was also my #1 of 2013, and #2 was Blurred Lines, so Pharrell was a feature on the top two! But I'm kind of embarrassed how much I was in to Blurred Lines now.

JakeP wrote:I must admit i'm not overly familiar with many Mary J Blige songs but from those i know, i adore Be without you which sadly bombed in the UK, that song deserved to be a big hit. Mary's only appearance in my chart was with the vocal remix of Disclosure's F for you.
Oh you must check out her old music. I'd even say go back to her 90s output - she really is one of my favorite artists despite her low appearance here. After so many years of heartache from Mary, it was so great to see a joyous one with Family Affair. It was a huge hit.

JakeP wrote:LOL whatever happened to The Ting Tings? :lol: I was never a big fan of That's not my name and was quite surprised it even got to #1 in the UK. On the flip side, i loved Shut up and let me go so much more. The song, the sassiness, the music video, for me this should've been their #1 hit.
Oh, but That's Not My Name is perfect for someone shy like me. I can just see me standing up against the wall at that party, and being so shy that people won't even get my name right :lol: They did have a follow-up called Hands, which made my chart, but I haven't checked in on them since. Maybe they aren't even a duo anymore. I'm sure plenty are pressed that they are so high above Britney :lol:

JakeP wrote:I started out as a passive Taylor Swift fan. Love story was my introduction to Taylor when this became a hit in the UK. After that, i didn't really pay much attention until We are never ever getting back together came along. I've never bought any of Taylor's albums. It's a difficult one to explain, i tend to like her singles initially but i feel like i get over them fairly quickly too. :oops: My favourite Taylor song is I knew you were trouble.
I don't know where I stand with her. She got a lot of song son myc hart through passing interest, then I felt hooked with the 1989 album, but reputation kind of just fizzled for me. Like Delicate is back to being a passing interest song for me and I probably won't chart it.

JakeP wrote:Janet Jackson is undoubtably one of the worlds greatest female artists. I love the fact that Together again was Janet's biggest hit in my chart. It really is just a classic example of perfect pop music that holds a strong message behind its lyrics. Still baffles me how "nipplegate" effectively ruined her career because that only happened because of Justin Timberlake. :-? I wonder what might've happened had Janet exposed Justin's penis. :lol: :P
Justin still would have been successful, I bet :evil: And Janet still would have gotten blamed :evil: I'm glad my chart started when there were still massive Janet hits to chart. I feel bad I kind of just stopped following her because radio didn't play her. I mean it's not like I couldn't have looked her music up online. But I'll definitely be here for her next era. Janet's last song on my chart was a lame song called Feel It Boy, and I need to make sure her last song to chart is better than that. :)

JakeP wrote:When it comes to No Doubt, there is only one song that could ever be my favourite. Don't speak is a truly magnificent song and one of my favourite songs from the 90s. Although its a song i loved more as i got older. :lol: I was only 9 when it was a hit so didn't fully appreciate the song at the time. Hey baby was quite successful and by comparison it feels so much experimental in sound. Of course Gwen Stefani went on to totally own it with Love. angel. music. baby.
Don't Speak's peak airplay pre-dated my chart by about a year, but I'm sure it would have made the list if I had been doing a chart then!

JakeP wrote:Amy Winehouse will forever be one of the greatest female singers. Back to black is my favourite album of the 00s, so if i were to ever do a JakeP top 100 albums of the 00s, you already know my favourite. Yet i have no recollection of her during the Frank era a few years earlier. Rehab is quite easily my favourite track and i'm pretty sure this would've been my #1 song of 2006. An astonishingly exceptional piece of songwriting imo. I can only echo others thoughts that it's such a shame we will never get to hear any new music from Amy. <3
At least SOMEONE likes Rehab. There's a few people grumbling over on my other countdown about it :evil: I love it and I think it's wonderful how Amy took this episode in her life, and crafted such an earworm around it. Rehab was my #1 song of that year.

JakeP wrote:Destiny’s Child hit their peak with the Survivor album, and i was loving that era at the time. Their harmonies and sassiness shone through with their singles and performances. I remember watching them perform at The brit awards in 2001 i think it was and they blow my mind. :o :lol: A shame the girls failed to keep that same level of momentum going with the release of Destiny fulfilled as from the singles released, Lose my breath was the only track i adored.
Destiny Fulfilled was a disappointment. I kind of wonder if Bey's skyrocketing career had an effect, like they knew it was over and were kind of just forcing things. Lose My Breath did chart, but they primarily made the list based on Bootylicious and Jumpin Jumpin :)

JakeP wrote:Aloe Blacc has only been credited with one entry in my chart, and that is The man although it was more of a minor hit. However, his biggest smash came with Avicii's Wake me up even though he was uncredited, it's still technically his smooth soulful vocals that made the song as well as Avicii's trademark production skills.

I know. I cheated by adding his name when I charted Wake Me Up. I know he wasn't credited, but it annoyed me that Avicii was just putting himself in the credits when it was so clear that Aloe sold that song too.
Last edited by cheapthrills on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts