Cheapthrills' Top 100 Artists 1997-2018 - COMPLETED

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:10 pm

Bubbling Under:

Last edited by cheapthrills on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:12 pm

bm08 wrote:Happy to see Macy Gray getting some appreciation here. "I Try" is one of those songs that get me every time.
Thanks for checking in. Macy Gray definitely had one of the most distinctive pop voices I've ever heard. I don't think we have any equivalent of her today :(
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:13 am

Bubbling Under:

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:49 pm

50 Cent - awful human-being, but he has some bops from the early 00s that I still like.
Imagine Dragons - the best rock act of the decade for me. "Whatever It Takes" is such an anthem, and then they've got "Demons" to their credit, too.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:30 am

Thanks, JSparks - true! There just aren't many rock acts that kill it anymore, but Imagine Dragons are special.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:31 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:33 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:34 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:40 am

Whitney Houston was the first voice I can recall ever hearing, and the My Love Is Your Love era produced singles that soundtracked the early part of my childhood, so I can definitively say that Whitney's music has been with me from the very beginning. I've never heard a superior singer. She was a singer supreme not only because of the bombast and deep-rooted soul with which she delivered some of the most classic ballads of our time, but because of the storytelling quality of her phrasing. She really knew how to make every lyric feel like an element of a story. I'm intrigued by your biggest hit being a gospel song. I don't enjoy "His Eye Is on the Sparrow" as much as I do "I Go to the Rock", but "His Eye..." is decent.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:04 am

You wrote so perfectly about Whitney - even in the movie today, which doesn't really concentrate on her music, they had a brief clip of How Will I Know, and you can really hear her close in that "T" in not., just little elements like that.

His Eye... is the only gospel #1 on my chart and probably the only top ten. Not a genre I listen to, especially being Jewish :lol: But I missed Whitney terribly and it is one of the last songs she left behind. My favorite song by her in this period is My Love is Your Love.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Hey cheapthrills :D
Time for another essay! :P :lol:

Calvin Harris is comfortably one of the most successful artists in my own chart, but even before i started my own chart i've been Calvin Harris pretty much since he started out in 2007. His biggest hit in my chart to date is Feels but he's produced so many amazing floorfillers. <3

Scissor Sisters had such a fabulous debut album and i loved the singles Laura and Filthy/gorgeous the most. However, it was I don't feel like dancin' that really got the juices flowing. :wink: The biggest disappointment was seeing the guys go from that slice of camp glory to discovering that the second album wasn't all that. :( They have had some great singles since then but it seems the public moved on rather quickly which is a shame. :(

Mariah Carey at #57? :P Oh i'm sure that must've felt like a stab in the heart for some posters on here. :lol: So many amazing songs from the 90s especially. I don't really think Mariah's music from 2000 onwards was really up to the same standard although we did get some gems like We belong together which was undoubtably one of Mariah's finest singles from the 00s. The last Mariah single i truly loved was Beautiful in 2013, and that really did deserve to be a bigger hit than it actually was. :(

I discovered Duffy towards the latter end of 2007 when Rockferry (the single) was released and there was something about Duffy's vocals i found so mesmerising. <3 Then along came Mercy which was one of my songs of the year, and after Warwick avenue i was totally sold and i bought the album. Such a shame it all went downhill so fast, but admittedly Duffy's vocals were becoming more nasally which even i found outputting in the end. :cry:

R.I.P Avicii <3 What a truly gifted and incredible guy Tim Berg was. He was just so unassuming and one of the most respected dj's of his generation. So heartbreaking to know that he ended his life because he couldn't cope with the stresses of fame, and then his illness which was preventing him from doing the things he loved. His music was live on forever, and i'm happy i was able to witness his legacy from the beginning of his career. <3

Justin Timberlake has tended to be quite inconsistent for me but when i love a Justin Timberlake single, i really love it. :D I vaguely remember his time with N'Sync especially Bye, bye, bye which i remember MTV played a lot at the time. It wasn't until Cry me a river that i really started to take more notice of who Justin was as well as his music.

Black Eyed Peas had two of the most defining songs of the 00s. Where is the love? still holds a strong message which is still relevant even now all these years later which is actually quite scary. I would've thought the world would've made more progress since 2003 but it seems the world has been getting worse with terrorism. :evil: :x Then on the flip side you had the undeniably catchy I gotta feeling which kick started the whole party anthem crazy that lasted well into the early 10s and i was so here for all those uplifting joyous pop/dance crossover tracks. They symbolised that sense of fun and not to take everything in life too seriously.

The Weeknd has really come into his own since the release of Starboy. Prior to that my only knowledge of The Weeknd came from his feature of Ariana Grande's song Love me harder, and even then the first time i heard this song i thought it was Chris Brown on vocals. :oops: Now, The Weeknd is becoming one of the most successful artists in my chart.

Zedd has been responsible for a few big hits in my chart. Break free became his first big hit in my chart followed by True colors but it's Starving that has given Zedd his biggest hit in my chart to date.

I was never a massive fan of Linkin Park when they started out but i was still shocked when i read the news about Chester's death. I didn't really know much about his personal life and what he'd had to endure and experience when he was young, and to live a life with all those mental scars must've been so difficult to live with. Even though he seemed to be enjoying life in his latter years with his family. Truly heartbreaking. :cry:

Outkast are another of those bands who were a bit inconsistent for me. However, i'd say the Andre 3000 influence was easily the best. Tracks like Ms Jackson and Hey ya! are two of the greatest rap songs of the 00s, and coming for me that's seriously high praise. :lol:

By the time i started my own chart, Ellie Goulding had just released Burn which went on to #1 in my chart. But pre-dating that, Ellie had released a number of songs that i loved. The one thing that i find most disappointing is the record companies inability to choose excellent singles to sell the album and keep the momentum going. I've said this multiple times over the last 3 years but Something in the way you move screamed #1 single and the fact the record label didn't see its potential is mind boggling. :o :-?

Aww, my beloved Olly Alexander. <3 Years & Years became one of my favourite pop groups in 2015 after the release of King although it was Shine which saw me going into the full on stan mode. :lol: How i wanted that song to be #1, and that feeling of being gutted when it lost out to some absolute garbage lame af dance track. :evil: I'm hoping to check out Palo santo at some point this week.

The ultimate diva that is Whitney Houston. When it comes to classic songs, where do i start? An extraordinary singer with a career to match, Whitney's success was a triumph growing in popular from songs like Saving all my love for you, to I wanna dance with somebody to I will always love you. I'm so happy that i got to experience Whitney's successful era from the late 90s, as this helped to introduce me to all the earlier hits. It's just a shame that a lifestyle of alcohol abuse and drugs took its toll and ended up destroying the life of such an incredible singer. <3 :cry:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:46 am

OMG, I had to go get a tea to drink while I read this :lol:

Thank you for all the thoughts. It's nice to know a few people are checking this out :)

JakeP wrote:Scissor Sisters had such a fabulous debut album and i loved the singles Laura and Filthy/gorgeous the most. However, it was I don't feel like dancin' that really got the juices flowing. :wink: The biggest disappointment was seeing the guys go from that slice of camp glory to discovering that the second album wasn't all that. :( They have had some great singles since then but it seems the public moved on rather quickly which is a shame. :(
Filthy/Gorgeous charted on mine as well, and is a big highlight off that album. i loved the Scissor Sisters of the first two albums, but the third album was a letdown. I still love Let's Have a Kiki though (off their 4th album), which was a return to campy form. Currently, Jake Shears is on my personal chart with a song called Creep City, which is very different and you should check out :)

JakeP wrote:Mariah Carey at #57? :P Oh i'm sure that must've felt like a stab in the heart for some posters on here. :lol: So many amazing songs from the 90s especially. I don't really think Mariah's music from 2000 onwards was really up to the same standard although we did get some gems like We belong together which was undoubtably one of Mariah's finest singles from the 00s. The last Mariah single i truly loved was Beautiful in 2013, and that really did deserve to be a bigger hit than it actually was. :(
Exactly. I suspect people just stopped following this list after Mariah went so early :lol: But as you said, most of the songs I like by her pre-date my chart and she hasn't had a lot of success since the Emancipation of Mimi singles.

JakeP wrote:R.I.P Avicii <3 What a truly gifted and incredible guy Tim Berg was. He was just so unassuming and one of the most respected dj's of his generation. So heartbreaking to know that he ended his life because he couldn't cope with the stresses of fame, and then his illness which was preventing him from doing the things he loved. His music was live on forever, and i'm happy i was able to witness his legacy from the beginning of his career. <3
I'm mad at myself for neglecting the work he put out last year because he was really excelling 2013-2014. I re-charted The Nights after his passing as it's such a wonderful send-off of a song.

JakeP wrote:The Weeknd has really come into his own since the release of Starboy. Prior to that my only knowledge of The Weeknd came from his feature of Ariana Grande's song Love me harder, and even then the first time i heard this song i thought it was Chris Brown on vocals. :oops: Now, The Weeknd is becoming one of the most successful artists in my chart.
I really want him to maintain his level of success - he just fills in a gap on the charts that is sorely missing - dark R&B is really his wheelhouse. I didn't care for his latest lead single, and it seemed to drop like a stone on the charts here, so I'm hoping he can follow up with something more accessible.

JakeP wrote:By the time i started my own chart, Ellie Goulding had just released Burn which went on to #1 in my chart. But pre-dating that, Ellie had released a number of songs that i loved. The one thing that i find most disappointing is the record companies inability to choose excellent singles to sell the album and keep the momentum going. I've said this multiple times over the last 3 years but Something in the way you move screamed #1 single and the fact the record label didn't see its potential is mind boggling. :o :-?
Love that one too, though I didn't chart it. Doesn't it piss you off when the best single on the album doesn't get the wide release you know it richly deserves? I feel like Ellie has been mishandled as well. I suspect her career is done in the US unfortunately, at least in the current streaming climate. I hope she proves me wrong.

JakeP wrote:Aww, my beloved Olly Alexander. <3 Years & Years became one of my favourite pop groups in 2015 after the release of King although it was Shine which saw me going into the full on stan mode. :lol: How i wanted that song to be #1, and that feeling of being gutted when it lost out to some absolute garbage lame af dance track. :evil: I'm hoping to check out Palo santo at some point this week.
OMG, it is excellent! Palo Santo debuts on my chart this week, and my guess is if I did this at the end of 2018, they woould have been a few ranks higher because I think there's a few songs on the album I enjoy. Let me know what you think of Karma :)

JakeP wrote:The ultimate diva that is Whitney Houston. When it comes to classic songs, where do i start? An extraordinary singer with a career to match, Whitney's success was a triumph growing in popular from songs like Saving all my love for you, to I wanna dance with somebody to I will always love you. I'm so happy that i got to experience Whitney's successful era from the late 90s, as this helped to introduce me to all the earlier hits. It's just a shame that a lifestyle of alcohol abuse and drugs took its toll and ended up destroying the life of such an incredible singer. <3 :cry:
I loved her so. That Whitney documentary is heart-breaking - rejection by the black community, child abuse, introduced to drugs by her brothers at a young age - she somehow managed to get a career going despite those things, but I just think the level of fame brought on with IWALY just destroyed her.

Unfortunately, like Mariah, most oher best work pre-dates the chart except her last successful album My Love is Your Love - oddly all of her songs from the 90s missed #1, and everything from 2000 on hit #1 - Star Spangled Banner (in light of 9-11), Million Dollar Bill from her comeback 2009 album, and two posthumous #1s - IWALY, and her gospel song from Sparkle - the only gospel song to ever hit #1 on my chart (or make top ten for that matter).
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:17 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:18 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:19 am

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:45 am

It's weird seeing Dua so high. For me, she has one stunner that I can see myself playing in five years' time ("New Rules") and two solid singles ("Scared to Be Lonely", "One Kiss").
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:16 am

Fantastic to see Years&Years so high up!

Strange, I never took you for a DMB fan.....my ex used to be a big fan of theirs, so naturally, i hate them now. :lol:
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:41 pm

^OK, but neither of you are talking about the elephant int he room that is Limp Bizkit - haha, I'm so embarrassed they are that high, but I listened to Nookie again and it is a low-key jam :lol:

JSparks, what do you think about Be The One? She had a few songs that I charted before she really broke with New Rules/Scared to Be Lonely, and they are really good.

Summer :lol: Well, I guess I'm not as much a fan now - almost all of their appearances were from fifteen years ago. But I wouldn't turn down a concert ticket if someone had one for free :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:53 pm

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 pm

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:56 pm

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:13 pm

I don't think Jay-Z's flow or lyricism is on the same level as Eminem's or Kanye West's, but he has been featured on some of my favourite songs of all-time ("Umbrella", "Drunk in Love", "Crazy in Love"). Honestly, even some of his songs where he's the lead act, I appreciate moreso because of the acts he's featured than Jay-Z himself ("Empire State of Mind", "Run This Town"). I guess I respect his intelligence as a businessman, and greatly admire the phenomenal ladies around him (wife, protégé).

cheapthrills wrote:JSparks, what do you think about Be The One? She had a few songs that I charted before she really broke with New Rules/Scared to Be Lonely, and they are really good.
I just listened to it again, and I'll add it to her list of solid singles.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 am

I think Jay-Z has a lot of versatility - fast, slow, syncopated, but I will agree that Kanye and Em are much more distinct. But, it is true that he is so high because of his work with other people. I don't think of Cray in Love as a Jay-Z song, or Suit and Tie as a Jay-Z song or UMbrella as a Jay-Z song :lol: - All those made my chart - he just has been rapper for rent most of the time.

With the exception of that debut song, the solo efforts by him that have made my chart are pretty forgettable.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:28 am

Jet at #116 is quite unexpected, I really like some of their songs, especially ''Look What You've Done''
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:25 pm

heppolo wrote:Jet at #116 is quite unexpected, I really like some of their songs, especially ''Look What You've Done''
Not sure if it's apparent from this countdown, but I probably followed rock a lot more closely when the chart started than now. I think the change in taste was gradual.

I loved Jet though - they had a cool, throwback vibe to them - Are You Gonna Be My Girl is another favorite.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts