JakeP Top 100 UK #1s of the 00s

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:49 am

Today marks 100 days until the end of the year so what better time than today to start counting down my personal favourite top 100 UK #1 singles from the 00s! :P

My aim is to post each position daily until i reach my absolute favourite #1 which will be posted on 31st December.

P.S. don't let my rather amateurish design skills fool you, these are just a selection of the 100 songs that will be featuring. :wink:

So if you love pure pop, dance anthems, r'n'b/rap and rock then i'm sure there will be plenty of songs (and surprises :lol: ) for you to enjoy.

Before i continue here's a breakdown of how many #1s from each year will appear:

2000 > 16
2001 > 9
2002 > 13
2003 > 8
2004 > 8
2005 > 10
2006 > 9
2007 > 7
2008 > 8
2009 > 12
Last edited by JakeP on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:20 am

100. Holly Valance - Kiss kiss
Year > 2002
Ranking > 13/13

Proof that tv really can brainwash people! :lol: Holly Valance is the first of many artists to appear in this countdown who became famous via a tv show. In this instance it was Neighbours which was really popular when i was at school. No different to how the likes of Kylie and Dannii got into the music business, Holly embarked on a pop career which saw her debut single Kiss kiss storm to #1 in 2002. This was Holly's only single to top the UK charts which was a shame because i also loved her relative flop single State of mind. :(

JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:02 am

"State Of Mind" and "Naughty Girl" deserved much better than a borrowed "Kiss Kiss".
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:12 am

heppolo wrote:"State Of Mind" and "Naughty Girl" deserved much better than a borrowed "Kiss Kiss".
I never really got into Naughty girl tbh, found that song a bit uninteresting. State of mind is actually my favourite Holly Valance single, just strange that its underperformance meant the end of her pop career. Talk about brutal. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 am

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:"State Of Mind" and "Naughty Girl" deserved much better than a borrowed "Kiss Kiss".
I never really got into Naughty girl tbh, found that song a bit uninteresting. State of mind is actually my favourite Holly Valance single, just strange that its underperformance meant the end of her pop career. Talk about brutal. :lol:
I think the album complete floppage made it obvious,
"Naughty Girl" and "Holding On For You" (by Liberty X) both came out around the same time (they got a bit of tv airplay) and had that rainy urban late autumn-early winter feeling about them.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:23 am

heppolo wrote:I think the album complete floppage made it obvious,
"Naughty Girl" and "Holding On For You" (by Liberty X) both came out around the same time (they got a bit of tv airplay) and had that rainy urban late autumn-early winter feeling about them.
Actually i was getting mixed up. It was Down boy that i didn't like much and thought it was a poor follow up. Naughty girl was slightly better but still not great.

I think this was a big problem for a lot of pop acts in the early 00s. They had everything riding on the first single, and then from the second single onwards it seemed more a case of pot luck. I didn't even buy Holly's album, there was no incentive as it was just Kiss kiss that i loved.

In retrospect i don't know why they didn't release a follow up to State of mind unless there just wasn't any other song on that album that was considered good enough to be a single. If that was the case then it's no wonder the second album bombed. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:54 am

Just listened to "Kiss Kiss". It's very basic.

JakeP wrote:Today marks 100 days until the end of the year so what better time than today to start counting down my personal favourite top 100 UK #1 singles from the 00s! :P
Clever! :lol:
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:28 am

JSparksFan wrote:Clever! :lol:
I know! :lol: :P

I had this idea for a while and its been a work in progress. I can only imagine how hard you worked on your Madonna countdown. Once i disregarded the #1s i've never liked or got into, it was a thorough rating of each song based on how much i loved the song back then, the music video, how much do i still listen to the song when i'm in reminiscent mood. :wink:

I'll probably look back at my chart one day and think "that song should've been higher" but i'm happy with the order....for now! :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:14 pm

99. Blu Cantrell featuring Sean Paul - Breathe
Year > 2003
Ranking > 8/8

Sean Paul was everywhere in 2003 and most of my mates at school thought he was the best thing to happen to music that year. I didn't really "get" it but i loved this track from Blu Cantrell which features Sean Paul on well, rap (?) duties. :lol: The song itself was one of the defining songs from the summer and considering the relatively lukewarn success of her previous single Hit 'em up style (opps!) i didn't expect this to go anywhere near #1 at the time, yet alone spend a month at the top! Yep, Sean Paul clearly was the flavour of the year. Breathe also surely contains the best use of a car crash sound effect in a song. ICONIC :lol:

JakeP
Manager

Postby Benny » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:27 pm

'Kiss Kiss' is good though I prefer the original version by Tarkan. :wink:
Benny
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:08 pm

Benny wrote:'Kiss Kiss' is good though I prefer the original version by Tarkan. :wink:
I never even knew about the Tarkan song until a few years later when YouTube started to become a thing. :lol: I don't think it was ever released as a single in the UK, or maybe they just didn't think the UK public were ready for turkish pop. :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:30 pm

98. Five - Let's dance
Year > 2001
Ranking > 9/9

I suppose Five were to Westlife what East 17 were to Take That; the cool alternative! :lol:

Whilst Five did release some cheesy pop songs in the late 90s i wasn't old enough to know any better and so i liked them! Oh to be young and innocent... :lol: :oops: Let's dance signalled the beginning of the end and it wasn't long after this topped the UK charts that the guys split up. At least they ended on a high note!

It might not be as good as Keep on movin' which is my favourite Five song but i loved the disco vibes of this song. School disco material right here! :lol:

JakeP
Manager

Postby Benny » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:39 pm

Five had some fun singles, 'If Ya Gettin' Down', 'Keep On Movn' and 'When the Lights Go Out' are my favourites, I also like 'Let's Dance'.
Benny
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:44 pm

Benny wrote:Five had some fun singles, 'If Ya Gettin' Down', 'Keep On Movn' and 'When the Lights Go Out' are my favourites, I also like 'Let's Dance'.
#Preach!

-----

Nice to see Holly, btw! Personally, I prefer Tarkan's original by miles but "Kiss Kiss" was quite nice.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:41 pm

Benny wrote:Five had some fun singles, 'If Ya Gettin' Down', 'Keep On Movn' and 'When the Lights Go Out' are my favourites, I also like 'Let's Dance'.
They are all good picks. :P But Keep on movin' is definitely my most favourite Five track.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:45 pm

Mainshow wrote:
#Preach!

-----

Nice to see Holly, btw! Personally, I prefer Tarkan's original by miles but "Kiss Kiss" was quite nice.
Ahh nice to see some love for Five. I wasn't a massive fan but i still enjoyed their music. At least they were more interesting than Westlife! :roll: :oops:

Yes i know the song Şımarık you're referring to which Kiss kiss was based around. As i posted above, i had never heard the song back then so just thought Kiss kiss was an original song.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:49 pm

I've tried to make this sort of top in my head and the top 20 was almost totally indie, rock or alternative.
Not too bad in comparison to the current situation
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:03 pm

97. Geri Halliwell - It's raining men
Year > 2001
Ranking > 8/9

Yes, I was a little Spice Boy in the late 90s! :lol: The girls were inescapable with their countless tv commercials, tv appearances and performances. But i loved Spice Girls so much and bought Viva forever on cd.

When it comes to Spice Girls as solo artists, only two have made the grade in this countdown. Geri being the first one to appear with her gloriously camp cover of It's raining men. The original by The Weather Girls being all kinds of fabulous. :lol: This song was recorded for Bridget Jones diary and earned Geri another #1 hit.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:05 pm

heppolo wrote:I've tried to make this sort of top in my head and the top 20 was almost totally indie, rock or alternative.
LOL i can assure you that not all of my top 100 consists of pop. I'm sure there will be a couple of songs in this countdown that you like. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:22 pm

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:I've tried to make this sort of top in my head and the top 20 was almost totally indie, rock or alternative.
LOL i can assure you that not all of my top 100 consists of pop. I'm sure there will be a couple of songs in this countdown that you like. :wink:
I was more thinking aloud than commenting on the actual entries.
You've raised a serious issue that needs to be thoroughly investigated (although I never had any doubts of what is my favourite UK #1 of the 00s).
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:31 pm

heppolo wrote:I was more thinking aloud than commenting on the actual entries.
You've raised a serious issue that needs to be thoroughly investigated (although I never had any doubts of what is my favourite UK #1 of the 00s).
Oh i gathered your comment wasn't directly aimed my countdown. :lol:

A serious issue? :o :P You've got me all the more intrigued. I'm curious as to what your fave UK #1 of the 00s is.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:17 pm

JakeP wrote:
A serious issue? :o :P You've got me all the more intrigued. I'm curious as to what your fave UK #1 of the 00s is.
Coincindentally it is also the first new #1 of the 00s. :D
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:27 pm

heppolo wrote:
JakeP wrote:
Ahh ok well i can reveal that isn't in my countdown. That said, you probably weren't expecting to see them appear anyways. :P

Did you like Your love alone is not enough? I actually loved that song.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:33 am

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:
JakeP wrote:
Ahh ok well i can reveal that isn't in my countdown. That said, you probably weren't expecting to see them appear anyways. :P

Did you like Your love alone is not enough? I actually loved that song.
Of course I did, I was a bit mad Nina was stopped by that mediocre Shakira/Beyonce duet with a margin of less than a thousand sales, as far as I can recall.
And yes, I absolutely loathe most of american chart-toppers in the UK, american music industry gets the unfair upper hand against the UK acts even on their home soil which is ridiculous and outrageous.
Last edited by heppolo on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:48 pm

heppolo wrote:Of course I did, I was a bit mad Nina was stopped by that mediocre Shakira/Rihanna duet with a margin of less than a thousand sales, as far as I can recall.
And yes, I absolutely loathe most of american chart-toppers in the UK, american music industry gets the unfair upper hand against the UK acts even on their home soil which is ridiculous and outrageous.
Oh! :o :oops: :lol:

96. Beyoncé & Shakira - Beautiful liar
Year > 2007
Ranking > 7/7

Ok i'm genuinely scared by this freakish coincidence. :lol:

Not gonna lie though, if i had to choose which song i preferred out of Beautiful liar and Your love alone is not enough, then the Manic Street Preachers would hands down win that battle and had it been #1 it would be very much higher up in this countdown. :(

As heppolo says, it was Beyoncé & Shakira who kept their place as the UK #1 with this track. This was during the B'day album campaign that saw UK based producers Freemasons tasked with remixing all the official singles from the album. The remixes were all kinds of euphoric, flamboyant and gloriously camp. Whilst i enjoyed the exotic undertones of Beautiful liar it was the Freemasons remix that i absolutely loved the most and is pretty much the main reason for the track appearing here.

However, my personal favourite Freemasons remix from B'day remains Green light which is outstanding. <3

JakeP
Manager

Return to Personal Charts