JakeP Top 100 UK #1s of the 00s

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JakeP » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:23 pm

30. Katy Perry - I kissed a girl
Year > 2008
Ranking > 3/8

Katy Perry hit the big time when I kissed a girl became her big worldwide breakthrough single. It was a track i discovered on YouTube thanks mainly to the song becoming a hit in Sweden before anywhere else. :lol:

Totally tongue in cheek, it was one of those songs that stood out instantly with its lyrical content and the raunchy sexualised nature of the music video. Bless Ke$ha who also made a cameo appearance. <3

As for Katy Perry, i got the impression at the time that she was emerging as the latest rock chick in the music industry, similarly to P!nk. Obviously that all changed in 2010 when Katy went all out pop.

It's a shame that Hot n cold couldn't make it all the way to #1 as i think this song is even better. Nonetheless, I kissed a girl remains as one of the most recognised hits of the 00s and one of the key defining hits from 2008.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:46 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"So What" is brilliant! It personifies P!nk as an artist better than any of her other singles, save for maybe "U + Ur Hand".

When I did my all-time favourite songs countdown in 2013, "Survivor" was #8, so that says everything really. :lol:

"Dirrty" is terrific, one of Christina's finest uptempos, and a great first impression of one of the best pop albums ever recorded.

Ah, "The Fear" is awesome! Lily has released quite a few singles I love - "Smile," "F**k You," "22," "Hard Out Here" - but "The Fear" just might be the best single of her career.

"These Words" isn't bad at all, and once upon a time I really adored it, but it just hasn't aged that well for me.
Thanks Akini :D

Yes, i agree so much about your P!nk comment. I do think its a shame that people were disappointed (even if only initially) with What about us as for me it was an instant hit. But P!nk is like the ultimate rock chick style singer and So what really does define everything that P!nk represents. <3

Ohh i need a link to that countdown. :D Great to see how much yo love Survivor. Makes me wonder what the top 7 were at the time. :P

Christina has done quite a few really solid uptempo songs in her career and Dirrty is easily up there amongst her best. I loved Candyman too because its so flamboyant and camp. :lol: But that song did poorly in the UK charts. :(

Without a doubt The fear is my favourite Lily Allen track. I also loved Not fair which i think was the follow up. Lily was on a roll in 2009.

I still think These words sounds great. I will always love a song with a strong melody and hook that makes you want to sing along. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:51 pm

JakeP wrote:Ohh i need a link to that countdown. :D Great to see how much yo love Survivor. Makes me wonder what the top 7 were at the time. :P
Here you go. :wink: The dead Photobucket links literally hurt me. :(

JakeP wrote:Without a doubt The fear is my favourite Lily Allen track. I also loved Not fair which i think was the follow up. Lily was on a roll in 2009.
Oh my, how dear I forget that one! I love "Not Fair"! Sexual dissatisfaction is not something you hear female artists singing about, and Lily did that one so brilliantly. :lol:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:44 am

I adored 'I Kissed a Girl' at the time and still like it today, such a catchy song! :P
Benny
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:43 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Here you go. :wink: The dead Photobucket links literally hurt me. :(

Oh my, how dear I forget that one! I love "Not Fair"! Sexual dissatisfaction is not something you hear female artists singing about, and Lily did that one so brilliantly. :lol:
Thanks for the link. I can happily reveal there are a number of tracks from that countdown that are still to come in mine. :D

Poor forgotten Not fair. It was another of favourites at the time but its become more of a forgotten gem.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:44 pm

Benny wrote:I adored 'I Kissed a Girl' at the time and still like it today, such a catchy song! :P
Me too, its one of those songs that is guaranteed to make me smile. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:02 pm

JakeP wrote:Aww, don't worry about the late reply Fan. :wink:

LOL just curious because of the idea of a club in a toilet. :lol: It better be the first stop on our tour of Amsterdam. :P

I've been hearing a few stories this past week of a few couples who i know who are struggling with their relationships at the moment. I don't think its remotely possible to have the perfect partner.

Well, would you want to see James Arthur naked? :lol:

OMG that sounds amazing. So you're very active in getting involved with pride related events? :D That's actually really incredible. <3 LOL oh yes, every year they have a pride festival in Manchester and they always manage to book some big acts to perform. Gonna post this clip of Kelis when she performed here in 2010, it's not my video but i was there, it was amazing. Such great memories from that evening. <3

Kevin did a very good rendition of Chandelier which really impressed me. If a guy can sing that song, then he must be a good singer.

Aww, i love Freak like me. Oh so you didn't know it was originally a mash up either? I'll be checking out the rest of your Sugababes top 10 as i'm interested in seeing which songs you rank highly the most. :D

Oh i know, where does the time go? :o I still love So what so much, and the music video is always guaranteed to make me smile.

Destiny's Child totally owned it with the Survivor era. I also loved Bootylicious but that didn't get to #1 in the UK. As well as the track that's still to come i also adored Lose my breath and had that song qualified for this countdown then it would've definitely been ranked higher than Survivor.

I feel like i'm running out of things to say about Dirrty but it really was just a magnificent way to introduce the Stripped era. That said, i'm a big softy who occasionally loves a good ballad and Christina has definitely delivered a couple of gems.

LOL i think Lily was certainly on point with The fear. Outstanding pop track, easily the best track she has released as a single.

Also agree These words is the perfect example of a pure unashamedly pop song, and all the better for it. I also love Unwritten too.
Oh, yes! It will definitely be. That club actually has a Kylie-themed party in two weeks and I want to go so badly, but I can't unfortunately :( They should totally do a girlgroup evening during our Amsterdam tour.

That is true as well. I just have quite a lot of people around me who just got married or who are in a serious relationship and I'm like 'what about me over here!?' :lol:

Hmm, not really :oops:

It is quite amazing, such a massive event right in the city centre of Amsterdam. I think it is one of the most exciting Prides actually.
I am indeed :) Quite involved in some LGBT+-things here and there and like I said, also the first Pride Walk in my city which was amazing!!
Omg, that is incredible. Loved that video and I bet it was even better in real life. Gotta love Kelis <3 We never have such big names, unfortunately. Although Loreen did perform at Rotterdam Pride this year, but I didn't go.

I had no idea it was mash up, no :o I actually need to update the countdown again.

So What is such a good song to sing-a-long to as well. SO SO WHAT I'M STILL A ROCKSTAR!

Bootylicious was pretty damn perfect as well. Like you said, such a good era with those three singles back-to-back. I would probably rank those very high in a DC countdown, but won't reveal too much at this point.

Christina has definitely done some good ballads as well, but Dirrty and Fighter are her two best songs for me.

The whole It's Not Me, It's You era was perfection, one of my favourite pop albums of all time. I did like her debut quite a lot as well and Sheezus had it's moments as well (the title track and Hard Out Here are brilliant. I also like Our Time, although it feels so mellow for Lily), but the second album is definitely her best work. Not Fair was so tongue in cheeck as well, but The Fear is just the best.

Unwritten is bloody brilliant. Did that song miss the top position?

Hm, I did like I Kissed A Girl at the same, but it hasn't aged well for me and I would rank it among her best singles now (not that this means that I dislike it, because I like all Katy's singles). At times, it does feel a little bit problematic as well, but maybe I shouldn't take it too seriously.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Fan wrote:Oh, yes! It will definitely be. That club actually has a Kylie-themed party in two weeks and I want to go so badly, but I can't unfortunately :( They should totally do a girlgroup evening during our Amsterdam tour.

That is true as well. I just have quite a lot of people around me who just got married or who are in a serious relationship and I'm like 'what about me over here!?' :lol:

Hmm, not really :oops:

It is quite amazing, such a massive event right in the city centre of Amsterdam. I think it is one of the most exciting Prides actually.
I am indeed :) Quite involved in some LGBT+-things here and there and like I said, also the first Pride Walk in my city which was amazing!!
Omg, that is incredible. Loved that video and I bet it was even better in real life. Gotta love Kelis <3 We never have such big names, unfortunately. Although Loreen did perform at Rotterdam Pride this year, but I didn't go.

I had no idea it was mash up, no :o I actually need to update the countdown again.

So What is such a good song to sing-a-long to as well. SO SO WHAT I'M STILL A ROCKSTAR!

Bootylicious was pretty damn perfect as well. Like you said, such a good era with those three singles back-to-back. I would probably rank those very high in a DC countdown, but won't reveal too much at this point.

Christina has definitely done some good ballads as well, but Dirrty and Fighter are her two best songs for me.

The whole It's Not Me, It's You era was perfection, one of my favourite pop albums of all time. I did like her debut quite a lot as well and Sheezus had it's moments as well (the title track and Hard Out Here are brilliant. I also like Our Time, although it feels so mellow for Lily), but the second album is definitely her best work. Not Fair was so tongue in cheeck as well, but The Fear is just the best.

Unwritten is bloody brilliant. Did that song miss the top position?

Hm, I did like I Kissed A Girl at the same, but it hasn't aged well for me and I would rank it among her best singles now (not that this means that I dislike it, because I like all Katy's singles). At times, it does feel a little bit problematic as well, but maybe I shouldn't take it too seriously.
Ahh it's Kylie. A gay icon for all ages. :P That sounds divine though, getting lost in a world of Kylie music and everybody just enjoying themselves. What's not to love? :P How come you're unable to go? :( I'm quite surprised that they haven't had a girlgroup themed night. Are girlgroups generally popular in the Netherlands? A Spice Girls theme might be a bit too niche.

LOL sometimes i do question whether its worth the hassle being in a relationship. Yes, it's so amazing when you have someone in your life who you can devote yourself to, and have something incredibly intimate and have that feeling of belonging. But on the flip side, its all the extra baggage that people tend to bring with them that wears others down. So i'm inclined to say enjoy being single while it lasts. :lol:

The Manchester pride events get bigger and better every year. The acts range from Pixie Lott to Anastacia to Take That. Kelis was so good when i went to see her concert back then. <3

Well you've just unveiled Push the button so you'll have to wait and see how further up my countdown that song is. :wink:

P!nk has done so many amazing songs. There is still one more single from P!nk still to come though. :P

Ahh so there's potentially a Destiny's Child top 10 on the horizon? :D Would love to discover what your personal favourite tracks are.

Oh i totally agree. I know songs like Fighter and The voice within weren't #1 hits but i think the single choices were all excellent and really helped sell Stripped. Sensational album.

Oddly enough i felt like Lily lost me with Hard out here, and then she released Air balloon. I can't really suggest what it was, but those songs just didn't connect with me at all compared to those heights in 2009. From the rumours i've read, i sounds like i'm going to be even less impressed with her new material. I'm still hoping Lily will revisit her more pop roots as she owned it in 2009.

Sadly not, Unwritten peaked at #6 but i remember finding out that it became massively popular in America.

Aww, i've never taken I kissed a girl seriously in that respect. It was very apparent that Katy was doing the whole tongue in cheek gimmick with the song, and i loved the cheekiness behind the song. That said, i do prefer some of Katy's other singles more even though a couple of them weren't #1 hits in the UK.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:46 pm

29. Nelly featuring Kelly Rowland - Dilemma
Year > 2002
Ranking > 3/13

When it comes to Destiny's Child solo success, it's all about Beyoncé. However, Kelly Rowland enjoyed her own fair share of success throughout the 00s.

Nelly had already established himself as one of the biggest names in r'n'b by 2002 especially coming off the back of Hot in herre which i remember being everywhere when it was in the charts. However, it was the release of Dilemma that provided Nelly with his first UK #1 and Kelly Rowland was on board for the ride too.

Still as joyous and infectious as it was 15 years ago, Kelly's lush vocals are the perfect match to accompany Nelly's laid back and chilled vocals on this r'n'b ballad. One of those songs that were unavoidable towards the latter end of 2002, this is quite comfortably the best single Nelly has released.

As for Kelly Rowland, she still has one more feature still to come. :D

JakeP
Manager

Postby SummerPeur » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:00 pm

The infamous I Kissed A Girl song. The song the propelled Katy from the Christian lover to the horny girl next door. Love it.

Nelly is a tune 8-).
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:29 pm

SummerPeur wrote:The infamous I Kissed A Girl song. The song the propelled Katy from the Christian lover to the horny girl next door. Love it.

Nelly is a tune 8-).
Thanks SummerPeur :D

Katy sure knew exactly how to grab peoples attention from the start. :lol: A shame that her Witness album campaign has ended up being a disaster despite the promising start. :( LOL i never knew all that about Katy's earlier music career until about a year ago. :oops:

Well, Dilemma is a tune. Nelly is rather inconsistent. :P :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:56 pm

28. Madonna - Music
Year > 2000
Ranking > 5/16

If someone was to compile 101 reasons why Madonna is the queen of pop, they'd probably get to one million and still think of more. :lol:

Just like the best Madonna singles, they're all iconic in their own wonderful ways. Music was the title track and lead single from the album and there's no denying this song was always going to grab people's attention whether it be musically or visually.

The song is full of hooks and one insanely catchy chorus which has helped this track become one of Madonna's most memorable. It is surely a signature tune amongst all of her other signature tunes. :lol: The music video is equally iconic with Ali G making a cameo appearance in the video. I never realised back then just how popular Ali G was around the world. I always assumed he was only well known in the UK. :oops: Then you've got the ultra glamorous outfit Madonna wears in the music video, the "mommy" necklace, the random animation that shows Madonna as a superhero! :lol:

Everything about Music is both epic and iconic. I miss the days when artists really went all out and created some of their most visually striking music videos.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:05 pm

27. Duffy - Mercy
Year > 2008
Ranking > 2/8

We're back in Wales. Well, Gwynedd to be precise! :lol:

Duffy was on the brink of international stardom upon the release of her breakthrough single Mercy. The track catapulted its way to #1 in the UK and the success of the single soon spread throughout the world.

I was already familiar with Duffy following her debut single Rockferry which i discovered towards the end of 2007 on YouTube. However, it was the sensational motown flavoured Mercy that really made me sit up and pay attention. I adored Duffy and went on to buy her debut album when Warwick avenue became a hit during the summer.

It's a shame to think how everything seemingly came to a crashing end. Duffy's vocals admittedly became even more nasally with further releases which even i found quite difficult to enjoy. :( Nonetheless i still love Mercy and it will always be one of my favourite songs from 2008. <3

JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:19 am

Kelly's vocals on "Dilemma" are divine. The song's hook is timeless.

"Music" is my favourite song from its parent album, but I still don't quite love it the way you and quite a few other Madonna fans do. The chorus is catchy, yes, but it lacks oomph to really put it over the top for me.

"Mercy" is lovely, though over time, I've come to enjoy "Warwick Avenue" more.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:41 am

I liked 'Mercy' at the time. Shame Duffy's career ended a couple of years later but 'Whale Whale Whale' was really awful.
Benny
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:44 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Kelly's vocals on "Dilemma" are divine. The song's hook is timeless.

"Music" is my favourite song from its parent album, but I still don't quite love it the way you and quite a few other Madonna fans do. The chorus is catchy, yes, but it lacks oomph to really put it over the top for me.

"Mercy" is lovely, though over time, I've come to enjoy "Warwick Avenue" more.
Kelly was the perfect choice as the female vocalist.

I just checked your Madonna tribute countdown and...

JakeP wrote:
JSparksFan wrote:115. Music - 7.3/10

This song is truly iconic, one of so many classic Madonna songs.

Have to admit. i'm surprised this has already featured whilst American pie has yet to appear, because i never really did get the hype surrounding that song. I remember the first time i heard American pie and being really disappointed. On the flip side i remember when MTV premiered the video to Music and it was a real pop moment. :D

"you wanna see the real big Ben, ey!" :lol:
So my commentary in this thread was pretty much what i wrote in your thread. :lol: On another note, scrolling through all those photobucket images was driving me insane. :oops:

Aww, i love Warwick avenue. That was the song that persuaded me to buy Rockferry. It was a great debut album but the magic was lost as soon as Rain on your parade was released.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Benny wrote:I liked 'Mercy' at the time. Shame Duffy's career ended a couple of years later but 'Whale Whale Whale' was really awful.
I was in love with Mercy pretty much from the first time i heard the song. Duffy certainly delivered at the start of her career. Poor Well, well, well, i still don't understand why her vocals became increasingly more nasally as that's what i found the most offputting. :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:21 pm

26. Destiny's Child - Independent women, pt. 1
Year > 2000
Ranking > 4/16

Question.

What is my favourite Destiny's Child single?

Independent women, pt. 1 was both the lead single from Survivor as well as the theme from the Charlie's angels movie that was released around the same time as the single.

This track caught my attention as soon as the music video premiered and went into heavy rotation across all the music channels. I already mentioned in my commentary for Survivor (#34) how i'd watched Destiny's Child performing live on MTV around the time when this single was in the charts and i became an even bigger fan.

It might be the last time Destiny's Child appear in this countdown, but both Beyoncé and Kelly Rowland still have one more entry each still to come. :wink:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:25 am

"Independent Women Part I" is great. It was such a radio staple here; I heard it multiple times a day for a good three months straight!

JakeP wrote:So my commentary in this thread was pretty much what i wrote in your thread. :lol: On another note, scrolling through all those photobucket images was driving me insane. :oops:
Yeah, Photobucket really set fire to my countdowns with their ridiculous policy change.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Fan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:07 pm

JakeP wrote:Ahh it's Kylie. A gay icon for all ages. :P That sounds divine though, getting lost in a world of Kylie music and everybody just enjoying themselves. What's not to love? :P How come you're unable to go? :( I'm quite surprised that they haven't had a girlgroup themed night. Are girlgroups generally popular in the Netherlands? A Spice Girls theme might be a bit too niche.

LOL sometimes i do question whether its worth the hassle being in a relationship. Yes, it's so amazing when you have someone in your life who you can devote yourself to, and have something incredibly intimate and have that feeling of belonging. But on the flip side, its all the extra baggage that people tend to bring with them that wears others down. So i'm inclined to say enjoy being single while it lasts. :lol:

The Manchester pride events get bigger and better every year. The acts range from Pixie Lott to Anastacia to Take That. Kelis was so good when i went to see her concert back then. <3

Well you've just unveiled Push the button so you'll have to wait and see how further up my countdown that song is. :wink:

P!nk has done so many amazing songs. There is still one more single from P!nk still to come though. :P

Ahh so there's potentially a Destiny's Child top 10 on the horizon? :D Would love to discover what your personal favourite tracks are.

Oh i totally agree. I know songs like Fighter and The voice within weren't #1 hits but i think the single choices were all excellent and really helped sell Stripped. Sensational album.

Oddly enough i felt like Lily lost me with Hard out here, and then she released Air balloon. I can't really suggest what it was, but those songs just didn't connect with me at all compared to those heights in 2009. From the rumours i've read, i sounds like i'm going to be even less impressed with her new material. I'm still hoping Lily will revisit her more pop roots as she owned it in 2009.

Sadly not, Unwritten peaked at #6 but i remember finding out that it became massively popular in America.

Aww, i've never taken I kissed a girl seriously in that respect. It was very apparent that Katy was doing the whole tongue in cheek gimmick with the song, and i loved the cheekiness behind the song. That said, i do prefer some of Katy's other singles more even though a couple of them weren't #1 hits in the UK.
She most definitely is! 8-) Who doesn't love a bit of Kylie!? I have already other plans for that weekend, so it doesn't fit in my schedule. A Spice Girls evening would be the best thing ever. Hm. Well, the Spice Girls were obviously massive. Atomic Kitten and Sugababes have had a couple of big hits, but aren't that remembered I think. PCD and Destiny's Child did well and Little Mix have had a few minor hits so far. I still think they should throw a girlgroup evening just for us.

There is definitely a lot of truth in that!! :lol:

I wouldn't immediately associate Take That with a Pride event, but still amazing ofcourse. Would love to see them live. Pixie Lott on the other hand.. :lol: :lol:

I was already expecting Push The Button to do well in here, brilliant pop song ofcourse!

DC will definitely be part of the countdowns series, as the only non-UK band. No one does girlband as good as you Brits :P

The whole Stripped era was so well done, with everything included. Shame Christina isn't able to run such a brilliant campaign anymore, or release anything in the first place!

Oh really? I absolutely loved Hard Out Here, thought it was song well-written and basically so Lily as well with the sarcasm and the feminist message behind it. I can understand Air Balloon, though. I did like it, but it was way too mellow for Lily and she should have brought her a-game with the release of Sheezus. Still curious to hear her new stuff.

I just don't know what to think about I Kissed A Girl :lol: Some people do overract a lot when it comes to the song, though. I mean, it is very clear Katy isn't anti-gay but some people try to make her look like that. Which is pretty stupid.

Dilemma is a classic duet, Nelly and Kelly were the perfect duo (even down to their names) and the song worked so well. I remember buying the cd-single at the same time as Dirrty. Those were the days!

Music is ofcourse great, especially the video. Like you said, so striking and I loved the animation part. I remember it being on the telly all the time. As a song though, it is one I rarely re-visit these days. Madonna has such a rich catalogue and I wouldn't rank this as one of her strongest.

Mercy is an interesting one. Hated it at first, loved it afterwards and now I'm just a bit indifferent. Your ranking made me listen to Distant Dreamer again, which is my favourite Duffy song. And it's sad how her career just ended as quickly as it started.

Independent Women is a freakin' classic. Definitely DC's best single, love it then and love it now. Charlie's Angels was such a cool, kick-ass movie as well.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:56 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Independent Women Part I" is great. It was such a radio staple here; I heard it multiple times a day for a good three months straight!

JakeP wrote:So my commentary in this thread was pretty much what i wrote in your thread. :lol: On another note, scrolling through all those photobucket images was driving me insane. :oops:
Yeah, Photobucket really set fire to my countdowns with their ridiculous policy change.
Gosh, i could imagine many people getting sick of heating a song constantly for three months. :lol: Lose my breath would be a close second though, it was so unlucky to stall at #2 in the UK charts.

I noticed the photobucket issue first when it affected Shane's chart thread. Makes me thankful that i never had an account as i'd be mortified to just lose all my saved pictures like that. :o
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:31 pm

Fan wrote:She most definitely is! 8-) Who doesn't love a bit of Kylie!? I have already other plans for that weekend, so it doesn't fit in my schedule. A Spice Girls evening would be the best thing ever. Hm. Well, the Spice Girls were obviously massive. Atomic Kitten and Sugababes have had a couple of big hits, but aren't that remembered I think. PCD and Destiny's Child did well and Little Mix have had a few minor hits so far. I still think they should throw a girlgroup evening just for us.

There is definitely a lot of truth in that!! :lol:

I wouldn't immediately associate Take That with a Pride event, but still amazing ofcourse. Would love to see them live. Pixie Lott on the other hand.. :lol: :lol:

I was already expecting Push The Button to do well in here, brilliant pop song ofcourse!

DC will definitely be part of the countdowns series, as the only non-UK band. No one does girlband as good as you Brits :P

The whole Stripped era was so well done, with everything included. Shame Christina isn't able to run such a brilliant campaign anymore, or release anything in the first place!

Oh really? I absolutely loved Hard Out Here, thought it was song well-written and basically so Lily as well with the sarcasm and the feminist message behind it. I can understand Air Balloon, though. I did like it, but it was way too mellow for Lily and she should have brought her a-game with the release of Sheezus. Still curious to hear her new stuff.

I just don't know what to think about I Kissed A Girl :lol: Some people do overract a lot when it comes to the song, though. I mean, it is very clear Katy isn't anti-gay but some people try to make her look like that. Which is pretty stupid.

Dilemma is a classic duet, Nelly and Kelly were the perfect duo (even down to their names) and the song worked so well. I remember buying the cd-single at the same time as Dirrty. Those were the days!

Music is ofcourse great, especially the video. Like you said, so striking and I loved the animation part. I remember it being on the telly all the time. As a song though, it is one I rarely re-visit these days. Madonna has such a rich catalogue and I wouldn't rank this as one of her strongest.

Mercy is an interesting one. Hated it at first, loved it afterwards and now I'm just a bit indifferent. Your ranking made me listen to Distant Dreamer again, which is my favourite Duffy song. And it's sad how her career just ended as quickly as it started.

Independent Women is a freakin' classic. Definitely DC's best single, love it then and love it now. Charlie's Angels was such a cool, kick-ass movie as well.
A Spice Girls fancy dress party would be both hilarious and amazing. Who would you dress up as? :lol: It's true when i think about it, the successful british girlgroups really made their mark in the world of pop. America is the only other country that has produced successful girl groups.

I suppose its because Take That are originally from Manchester so its quite a coup to get your city's biggest pop phenomenon to make an appearance. :wink: Aww, Pixie Lott is ok but i've found her music fairly inconsistent over the years. :oops:

To be honest there was never a doubt that Push the button would make my top 100. By far their most instant pop classic alongside About you now.

LOL are there any other non-UK girlbands who you could use? Maybe Pussycat Dolls but apart from that? :lol:

Poor Christina, she got slaughtered for her tribute to Whitney Houston at this years Ama's. I watched it on YouTube out of pure interest and i honestly didn't even it was that terrible. Yes, some of her trademarks runs were a bit pitchy but it wasn't that disaster i expected. People go ott on social media now. :lol:

Poor Lily, she's been getting a lot of press attention this week due to some comments she posted on twitter relating to tenants staying in her London home. Now she's made her twitter account private. :o If only she had new music out this week, all this media attention would be amazing promo. :lol:

OMG i've never heard anything like that about Katy being anti-gay. I've always considered the song as tongue in cheek and there's clearly an underlining humour about the song. I just hope Katy sorts herself out and when she gets round to releasing her next album, it will be jam packed with amazing songs. I'd still regard Witness as one of the years most disappointing releases. :(

LOL i used to wonder if the whole Nelly & Kelly thing was actually planned rather than a co-incidence. Whatever the reason, it sure made for one of the best r'n'b #1s from the whole of the 00s. :D

MTV played Music so much, but that's what was so special about the late 90s and early 00s. There was always genuine buzz and excitement when an established popstar was releasing a new single/video. It was like an event in itself. There's no denying just how vast Madonna's discography is. Only the absolute best artists have an endless list of amazing songs in their careers.

Aww, i was fully on board with Duffy from the start. Mercy is still such a joy to listen to although like Akini also mentioned, i also have a soft spot for Warwick avenue too. I just never expected such a promising new artist to have all her fortunes reversed so quickly. Gosh i'm gonna have to give Distant dreamer a listen, not played this for a long time.

It looks like we're all in agreement about Independent women which is amazing to see. It's one of those where as soon as that intro kicks in, i can't help but find myself bopping along. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:57 pm

25. Cheryl Cole - Fight for this love
Year > 2009
Ranking > 4/12

After winning her first series of The x factor in 2008, Cheryl was back to do it all over again in 2009. At the height of Cheryl mania, and with Girls Aloud on hiatus, Cheryl took full advantage of being the newly dubbed nation's sweetheart.

Fight for this love was a frothy delicious pop song with all the hallmarks of a Girls Aloud single. The perfect combination of pure pop and unique lyrics that became so synonymous with Girls Aloud's own tracks. After the single was released, Cheryl gave her first live tv performance on The x factor and by the end of its first week Fight for this love had become the fastest selling single of 2009.

Whilst i've always regarded Cheryl's music career as quite inconsistent i can't deny how amazing Fight for this love is. Plus, the styling in the music video is truly iconic.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:56 pm

24. Sugababes - Push the button
Year > 2005
Ranking > 3/10

When Push the button first premiered, it was an instant hit with me. From the very first time listening to this song, i knew that Sugababes were going to have a massively successful hit. Becoming the girls fourth UK #1 in 2005, this was an excellent choice of single to introduce the Taller in more ways album campaign.

I love the visual play on words. Of all the buttons they could've been pressing, the director of the music video decided to use a lift button as its focal point. :lol: Yet despite seeming like such a simple idea, the music video is amazing and manages to look stylist and remain cool and interesting until the very end. :P

JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:12 pm

^the music video pushes a bit of stereotyping as well
but the song is killer 8-)
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Return to Personal Charts