JakeP Top 100 UK #1s of the 00s

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby heppolo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:12 pm

^I was surprised this hit #1, they sure had the momentum on their side, but realistically I thought top 5 at best.
They've fallen out of love with the critics during that era, they've got panned a bit for trying some stadium-rock.
I personally liked the song and wouldn't mind hearing it again.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:17 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Never Had a Dream Come True" is uber cute.

I despised "I Gotta Feeling" at the height of its success, but after dealing with so many novelty rap songs the last two/three years, I can say it isn't that bad. On a night out, it is a great tune to have blasting at the speakers' highest volume.
It really is such a beautiful song. Like i posted in reply to Fan, i genuinely think S Club 7 had much better and memorable songs than Steps did.

Ahh i knew you weren't a fan of I gotta feeling as you hinted at this point earlier in my countdown. For sure, the lyrics to Where is the love? are exceptionally good, thought provoking and holds a strong message. Like i said in my commentary at the time, it astonishes me how those lyrics still stand true all these years later.

Whereas the lyrics to I gotta feeling aren't. They're just clubbers lyrics, and even moreso now in 2017 there are plenty of songs in the charts that show very little emphasis on the lyrical content. It makes a song like Rita Ora's Anywhere stand out so much because its got interesting lyrics. Not thought provoking but a lot more interesting.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:27 pm

heppolo wrote:^I was surprised this hit #1, they sure had the momentum on their side, but realistically I thought top 5 at best.
They've fallen out of love with the critics during that era, they've got panned a bit for trying some stadium-rock.
Actually Sex on fire is very similar to Stereophonic's Dakota in that i heard both songs a good few weeks before they were released and both times i predicted they would be #1 hits. There was definitely something that made them stand out. I wouldn't say it was "commercial" or "radio friendly" perhaps just a lot more assessable than the average rock anthem.

Typical critics though, as soon as a band find incredible success with the masses, they're written off instantly as sell outs. Yet Kings Of Leon only really had their big moment of glory in 2008/2009. By the time Radioactive was released, all that hype had fizzled out and they've never had another chart hit quite like sex on fire. Maybe it was a pure fluke?
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:35 pm

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:^I was surprised this hit #1, they sure had the momentum on their side, but realistically I thought top 5 at best.
Actually Sex on fire is very similar to Stereophonic's Dakota in that i heard both songs a good few weeks before they were released and both times i predicted they would be #1 hits.
I've had this same thing with Kaiser Chiefs' Ruby
My all-time favourite KoL single is probably "On Call''.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:56 pm

heppolo wrote:I've had this same thing with Kaiser Chiefs' Ruby
My all-time favourite KoL single is probably "On Call''.
You might be quite surprised to discover i actually prefer most of the singles from Kaiser Chief's debut album Employment more than Ruby. I thought the quality in the second album dipped quite significantly. I much prefer tracks like I predict a riot, Oh my God and Everyday i love you less and less.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:01 pm

^Of course, they were better. In Ruby I just sensed an accessible #1 quality, that vital sing-a-long chorus.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 pm

heppolo wrote:^Of course, they were better. In Ruby I just sensed an accessible #1 quality, that vital sing-a-long chorus.
I liked Ruby but i never loved the song, but like you say it was by far their most accessible track. Despite my radio friendly taste in music, it didn't make my top 100.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:27 pm

^Even in their most radio-friendly state Kaiser Chiefs' looked and sounded better than the abysmal Scouting For Girls (that nasal tone...so scratchy) and mediocre Orson who miraculously managed to get a rather rare feature of indie/pop-rock number ones in the 00s.
I mean, Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, The Hives, The Vines, Placebo, Muse, The Kooks, The View, The Enemy, The Feeling, The Hoosiers, Texas, Radiohead, Ash, Doves, The Coral and etc. all failed to do so.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Benny » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:41 am

'Sex On Fire' is good but a bit overrated. I agree that 'Waste a Moment' should have been a bigger hit.
Benny
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:17 pm

heppolo wrote:^Even in their most radio-friendly state Kaiser Chiefs' looked and sounded better than the abysmal Scouting For Girls (that nasal tone...so scratchy) and mediocre Orson who miraculously managed to get a rather rare feature of indie/pop-rock number ones in the 00s.
I mean, Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, The Hives, The Vines, Placebo, Muse, The Kooks, The View, The Enemy, The Feeling, The Hoosiers, Texas, Radiohead, Ash, Doves, The Coral and etc. all failed to do so.
LOL well i can't say i was much of a fan of Scouting For Girls either. :lol: I guess Kaiser Chiefs were just fortunate with their timing, and no doubt must've benefitted from a lot of radio airplay.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:20 pm

Benny wrote:'Sex On Fire' is good but a bit overrated. I agree that 'Waste a Moment' should have been a bigger hit.
Aww, i always think its a shame when some really good songs that were very successful end up being labelled overrated. Glad you agree about Waste a moment, streaming really killed any chance of this becoming a hit. :( :evil:
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:23 pm

^Kaiser Chiefs managed to get some extra publicity with Kaiser Chiefs/Arctic Monkeys brief ''rivalry'' which was a desperate attempt to recreate Blur/Oasis feud, but both bands were polite and friendly so the whole plot backfired.
Kings Of Leon managed to transform their buzz into something substantial, at least for a single album. In fact, their huge UK success opened the floodgates in the States as well.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:26 pm

heppolo wrote:^Kaiser Chiefs managed to get some extra publicity with Kaiser Chiefs/Arctic Monkeys brief ''rivalry'' which was a desperate attempt to recreate Blur/Oasis feud, but both bands were polite and friendly so the whole plot backfired.
Kings Of Leon managed to transform their buzz into something substantial, at least for a single album. In fact, their huge UK success opened the floodgates in the States as well.
Oh i don't remember any rivalry at all between Kaiser Chiefs and Arctic Monkeys. :lol: Maybe, as you say, because it backfired it didn't become so apparent.

I think both Kings Of Leon and The Killers had a similar fate in that they were much more popular in the UK, but around 2008 both bands enjoyed greater success which made America start paying more attention.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:12 pm

39. Liberty X - Just a little
Year > 2002
Ranking > 6/13

In 2001 Popstars was the big new reality tv show. The idea was simple; form a new british pop group and film a fly on the wall documentary showing all of the processes involved from auditions to learning choreography. The judges sealing the fate of each singer and deciding which singers progressed forward, and which singers were sent packing. Over the series, the show whittled the auditionees down to a final 10. However, there was no public vote to choose who made the group like in the case of Girls Aloud. Instead, it was the judges who picked the final 5. The eventual chosen five became Hear'Say (quite literally! :lol: ) and i have to admit, i was disappointed. Even though i was 12 at the time, i never thought they gelled as a convincing pop group, but nonetheless it was a ratings winner and their debut single Pure and simple sold over a million copies in the UK.

Alas, it's safe to say Hear'Say failed to make my top 100...but what's this? Those other five singers decided to form a group of their own and soon after, Liberty was born. :D It just so happened i liked more of the singers in Liberty based on what i'd seen throughout the whole Popstars series.

After a name change to Liberty X, they released Just a little which was one of the biggest sizzling summer anthems of 2002. I remember when i first saw the music video, i was absolutely hooked on this song. For me, this was like a moral victory as Hear'Say had pretty much sunk without trace by the end of 2001. Liberty X were the cool alternative, imo, with better singers. :P Whilst Liberty X had a number of hit singles, none came close to the greatness that is Just a little. <3

JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:27 pm

^Good number one.
I remember them being called ''flopstars'' all over the media, Virgin took a chance on them and it worked.
heppolo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:28 pm

My Liberty X fave is ''Holding On For You'', a moody and beautiful song.
''Being Nobody'' was also quite worth of a #1, it packed a punch.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:40 pm

heppolo wrote:^Good number one.
I remember them being called ''flopstars'' all over the media, Virgin took a chance on them and it worked.
I remember watching that live on the night. It's quite extraordinary that how wrong Nigel Lythgoe was when he was pretty much choosing the final band. Liberty X were easily the better of the two bands, and the voiceover in that clip was spot on. These guys knuckled down and created some great pop music whilst Hear'Say pretty much imploded. Well, five ego's in a band was always going to end in disaster. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:28 am

"Sex on Fire" is really good, my second favourite from them after "Use Somebody".
"Love yourself so that love will not be a stranger when it comes, and it will come."

Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2017: [#1 Revealed!]
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:50 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Sex on Fire" is really good, my second favourite from them after "Use Somebody".
I'd say i love both songs almost equally but Sex on fire getting to #1 was an incredible achievement.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:05 pm

38. Take That - Patience
Year > 2006
Ranking > 5/9

The ultimate boyband comeback from the whole of the 00s definitely goes to Take That. Unstoppable in the 90s right up until when they decided to split. The guys already had a legion of fans in a frenzy after announcing a comeback tour in 2005, but i don't think anyone had expected what was around the corner.

You can always tell when Gary Barlow has written a poor song. He gives it to someone else to record. Totally savage! :lol: There's no denying that Gary Barlow has written so many amazing songs for Take That throughout their incredible career, and its these songs that have continued to stand the test of time. Songs like Back for good and Never forget will always be remembered as classic 90s singles. Quite an impressive feat for a boyband. :lol:

Patience was an excellent track and it was a massive success. Although i think at this point any new song from Take That would've probably been a #1 hit on hype alone. Thankfully Gary delivered another gem of a song. It was a much more mature sound, and by the end of 2006 the guys were back on top as the biggest boyband on planet pop. :D

JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:29 am

One of the pop's finest songs of the 00s
heppolo
Legend

Postby Benny » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:00 am

'Just a Little' is nice; 'Patience' is fantastic, as heppolo said, one of the pop's finest songs of the 00s.
Benny
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:45 pm

hey my love, Patience is an absolute evergreen of the highest order. what a strong comeback single. I immediately bought the physical single back in the day and cried alot because I worship TT - ever since 1995.
stevyy
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:03 pm

Benny wrote:'Just a Little' is nice; 'Patience' is fantastic, as heppolo said, one of the pop's finest songs of the 00s.
heppolo wrote:One of the pop's finest songs of the 00s
Just a little is such an amazing pop track. :P

Glad you both agree about Patience, its an absolute gem. Shame that Rule the world wasn't #1 as that would've featured high in this countdown had it qualified.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:05 pm

stevyy wrote:hey my love, Patience is an absolute evergreen of the highest order. what a strong comeback single. I immediately bought the physical single back in the day and cried alot because I worship TT - ever since 1995.
I read in your chart thread about how much you adored Take That and Robbie Williams. Devoted fan until the very end. :wink:

Patience is an incredible track. <3 I'm sure you'll be happy to know Robbie is still to come further up my countdown. :D
JakeP
Manager

Return to Personal Charts