JakeP Top 100 UK #1s of the 00s

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

 

Postby JakeP » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:51 pm

heppolo wrote:A quick fact: a certain guy called Ed Sheeran was Nizlopi's guitar technician, so they've left a bigger mark than just being one-hit wonders
Gosh, i never knew that. I would never have even made that connection between the two but thinking about it, some of Ed's early acoustic songs like The a team do have that similar acoustic guitar style as Nizlopi's song.

Well, you learn something every day. :lol:
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:08 pm

59. Sugababes - Hole in the head
Image
Year > 2003
Ranking > 5/8

We've not heard from any of the girlgroups for a few days so let's throw another one into the mix. :P

Whilst Girls Aloud were releasing some incredibly quirky pop music, they were just unlucky to find themselves missing out on scoring a few extra #1 singles throughout the 00s.

Sugababes, on the other hand, had an incredible marketing team to match their own brand of incredibly quirky pop music. Hole in the head was the perfect choice of single to lead the campaign for the album Three. The girls were easily one of the most consistent girlgroups of the 00s, scoring a total of six UK #1 singles - five of which successfully making my countdown. Only Walk this way failed to make the cut because...well, it's crap! :lol:

User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby Fan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:08 am

JakeP wrote:Little Mix was like saviours in their series of The x factor i thought that year was really poor and i was so happy when they won. :D I also love the fact the girls have come into their own since Black magic and are now more popular and successful than they were in their first few years. Their perseverance paid dividends, and quite rightly so. :D

I did have a soft spot for Olly when he was on the show but i never imagined he would become such a popular popstar. His lovely attitude really made people warm to him so much, and Olly does have quite a distinctive voice when he sings.

Actually i'm not that aware of how it all played out with Will. Back then i hardly read newspapers so i knew that he came out as gay, but there didn't seem to be any backlash. Maybe Simon Cowell was hoping it would all backfire on Will but thankfully it didn't and he became even more successful. So it's strange how it all went so wrong for Joe but a part of me still wonders if he had brought out a really beautiful heartfelt ballad that appealed to teens, adults and grannies instead of Ambitions that would've been the perfect way to start his solo career. It's all speculation, sadly we can't go back in time and change history (imagine if we could though :lol: ).

I never understand why radio is like this. It's not like you can see the singers face on the radio, so does it really matter. I mean Sia is in her early 40s i think, and whilst not seeing her face is part of her act these days, radio seem more than happy to play her music. It's very strange. :x LOL yes, i still like to think it's only a matter of time before there's a shift and we're either gonna see a children's tv character at #1 like we had Bob The Builder, or we're gonna have a singer over the age of say 45+ having a massive chart hit. The charts need to become exciting again. :lol:

Oh i wasn't even born when I should be so lucky was out. :lol: A search of wikipedia suggests it was #1 in several countries so it must've been a worldwide hit to some extent. :wink:

Yes, i believe personality plays a really important part of wanting to root for somebody. When they seem like really genuinely lovely people, i always want them to succeed. So when people say "nice guys finish last" i just think to myself "yeah, that's why Donald Trump won the US election". :cry: :evil: :x lol

Aww, i'm happy to read that comment. If there's one thing i've always loved about music it's melody. When a song has a really good melody, or hook and a really catchy chorus that people can sing along to then that's the makings of a really good pop song. Of course sometimes it could be an amazing song i adore because its so unique and different but even those songs will still have a catchy chorus or a hook that draws me in. <3 LOL i only have Talk on corners by The Corrs but i do have a number of those Now! that's what i call music cd's as well from around that time . I used to buy those compilations purely because it worked out cheaper to buy one of them than a handful of cd singles. :lol:
I was just thinking about their season I couldn't even remember any of the other acts. So it hasn't made a big impression on me either :lol: Wasn't that Tulisa's her debut year?
Yes, actually very surprising. Their debut album wasn't even that big when you compare it to their later success. I did always love Wings quite a lot though, such a cute, little pop track.

I'm obviously not in the UK, so have no idea either, but it seems like it never was a big deal for him or the general public to accept. it. And it clearly didn't have any effect on his success. Rightly so ofcourse, because honestly- we cares if he is straight/gay/bi or something else? I absolutely agree, had he released a ballad- I am sure his album would have done a lot better. Ambitions wasn't the song adults or grannies weren't going to like from "cute Joe".

Sia is actually an interesting one, she clearly hasn't faced the problems to get a radio hit these days :lol: So weird how it doesn't impact her, yet it does for some of the biggest names in the industry. I definitely would like the charts to be more exciting, have totally stopped following these days, although I am also glad the days of random charity single/Bob the Builder #1 are over :lol: :lol:

Haha. Which year were you born?

Ugh, don't even start about the disgusting person that is Donald Trump :( :(

A good melody is indeed very important, especially for a pop song.

I Turn To You is a good one, but at the same time I have always felt it was slightly overrated. Mel has done so many better songs. Northern Star was a very interesting era, all the singles she released were so different but because of her very distinctive voice, it always felt like Melanie. I have always loved Goin' Down, just thought it was a very cool track. And very, very different compared to the Spice Girls. Never..., however, will always be her best song though.

Hole In The Head <33 TUNE!! One of the best songs they have released. They really knew how to deliver an interesting and catchy pop song, which still had some edge (although that edge kind of disappeared later on in their career). I always liked the video as well. Poor Walk This Way though (jk).
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby JakeP » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:43 am

Fan wrote:I was just thinking about their season I couldn't even remember any of the other acts. So it hasn't made a big impression on me either :lol: Wasn't that Tulisa's her debut year?
Yes, actually very surprising. Their debut album wasn't even that big when you compare it to their later success. I did always love Wings quite a lot though, such a cute, little pop track.

I'm obviously not in the UK, so have no idea either, but it seems like it never was a big deal for him or the general public to accept. it. And it clearly didn't have any effect on his success. Rightly so ofcourse, because honestly- we cares if he is straight/gay/bi or something else? I absolutely agree, had he released a ballad- I am sure his album would have done a lot better. Ambitions wasn't the song adults or grannies weren't going to like from "cute Joe".

Sia is actually an interesting one, she clearly hasn't faced the problems to get a radio hit these days :lol: So weird how it doesn't impact her, yet it does for some of the biggest names in the industry. I definitely would like the charts to be more exciting, have totally stopped following these days, although I am also glad the days of random charity single/Bob the Builder #1 are over :lol: :lol:

Haha. Which year were you born?

Ugh, don't even start about the disgusting person that is Donald Trump :( :(

A good melody is indeed very important, especially for a pop song.

I Turn To You is a good one, but at the same time I have always felt it was slightly overrated. Mel has done so many better songs. Northern Star was a very interesting era, all the singles she released were so different but because of her very distinctive voice, it always felt like Melanie. I have always loved Goin' Down, just thought it was a very cool track. And very, very different compared to the Spice Girls. Never..., however, will always be her best song though.

Hole In The Head <33 TUNE!! One of the best songs they have released. They really knew how to deliver an interesting and catchy pop song, which still had some edge (although that edge kind of disappeared later on in their career). I always liked the video as well. Poor Walk This Way though (jk).
The biggest problem with the 2011 season of The x factor was that there was so much manipulation going on, and even the contestants that did have some potential were treated terribly on the show. Yes, it was the year Tulisa made her debut as a judge on the panel. There was Amelia Lily and Misha B who both had potential but the producers on the show portrayed them in a negative light in an attempt to turn the viewers against them. It's become even more apparent in the last few years too which is one of the main reasons why people aren't interested in the show anymore, thus why even the winners can't become successful. The longer The x factor continues, the worse it'll probably get. :(

As for Little Mix, i love so many of their singles. From Wings right up to Reggaetón lento there have been so many amazing songs from the girls. They're easily the most successful girlgroup in my chart since 2013.

Are you from Germany? You're absolutely right, why should sexuality be such an issue? It makes me wonder just how many male singers have had to keep their sexuality a secret just to be successful. :(

Like i posted before, Sia is more of a gimmick with those wigs so you can't see her face. Sia also has quite a young voice, so perhaps when young kids watch Sia perform on tv they might think she's only 20 or something. :lol: Maybe more singers over 40+ should adapt a more anonymous approach so people can't tell how old they are. :P

My birthday is 24th July 1988 so i was born during the height of 80s Kylie mania. :lol:

You really think I turn to you is overrated? :o I can imagine people thinking Never be the same again was because that song was everywhere. I wasn't a big fan of Goin' down but part of that was down to Mel going grunge, and i was at that age where i just don't interest in that type of music. It's one of those songs i like more now than i did when i was young. :wink:

Aww, i had a feeling you would approve of the Sugababes seeing as we've already discussed them earlier in the thread. :D In the case of Sugababes, i really do think their #1 singles were their best songs apart from Walk this way but then that was for charity. It just makes me laugh how people will insist on buying a pointless cover of a well known song just because its for charity. :lol: Their transformation throughout the 00s was very evident. They were almost indie pop in the early years, then more credible pop after Heidi joined. Then they became more pure pop after Amelle joined the group and finally they had none of the original members when they went all out gay anthems around 2010. :lol: I think its safe to Sugababes have a lot of history in the space of just 10 years. :wink:
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:16 pm

58. Sugababes - Round round
Image
Year > 2002
Ranking > 8/13

From Sugababes to...oh, Sugababes! :lol: :P

Angels with dirty faces was the album that helped propel Sugababes to the top of the pop game scoring two chart topping singles off this album. Round round was the second of those #1 singles and solidified the girls status as the biggest UK girlgroup at the time.

User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:00 pm

JakeP wrote:The biggest problem with the 2011 season of The x factor was that there was so much manipulation going on, and even the contestants that did have some potential were treated terribly on the show. Yes, it was the year Tulisa made her debut as a judge on the panel. There was Amelia Lily and Misha B who both had potential but the producers on the show portrayed them in a negative light in an attempt to turn the viewers against them. It's become even more apparent in the last few years too which is one of the main reasons why people aren't interested in the show anymore, thus why even the winners can't become successful. The longer The x factor continues, the worse it'll probably get. :(

As for Little Mix, i love so many of their singles. From Wings right up to Reggaetón lento there have been so many amazing songs from the girls. They're easily the most successful girlgroup in my chart since 2013.

Are you from Germany? You're absolutely right, why should sexuality be such an issue? It makes me wonder just how many male singers have had to keep their sexuality a secret just to be successful. :(

Like i posted before, Sia is more of a gimmick with those wigs so you can't see her face. Sia also has quite a young voice, so perhaps when young kids watch Sia perform on tv they might think she's only 20 or something. :lol: Maybe more singers over 40+ should adapt a more anonymous approach so people can't tell how old they are. :P

My birthday is 24th July 1988 so i was born during the height of 80s Kylie mania. :lol:

You really think I turn to you is overrated? :o I can imagine people thinking Never be the same again was because that song was everywhere. I wasn't a big fan of Goin' down but part of that was down to Mel going grunge, and i was at that age where i just don't interest in that type of music. It's one of those songs i like more now than i did when i was young. :wink:

Aww, i had a feeling you would approve of the Sugababes seeing as we've already discussed them earlier in the thread. :D In the case of Sugababes, i really do think their #1 singles were their best songs apart from Walk this way but then that was for charity. It just makes me laugh how people will insist on buying a pointless cover of a well known song just because its for charity. :lol: Their transformation throughout the 00s was very evident. They were almost indie pop in the early years, then more credible pop after Heidi joined. Then they became more pure pop after Amelle joined the group and finally they had none of the original members when they went all out gay anthems around 2010. :lol: I think its safe to Sugababes have a lot of history in the space of just 10 years. :wink:
Omg, yes! Misha B <3 She had soo many potential, but like you said- they portrayed her pretty badly on the show and her potential was basically ruined before the show was over :( So sad though, Home Run and Do You Think Of Me? were tunes as well. But she never took off, unfortunately. Such a missed career! It's sad the producers cared more about the ratings than they did about the contestants itself.
I stopped watching the show a couple of years ago to be honest.

They are doing very well indeed- I also love a lot of their stuff. They have, however, never reached the levels of Girls Aloud or Sugababes for me, but I have a Little Mix countdown planned for later on.

Close! I'm from The Netherlands :P
Yeah, I know. Sad to think about it, but I hope with the success of both Sam Smith and Olly Alexander (and ofcourse Will as well) times are changing and people could be open about themselves (when they want to though, because no one should be forced to be out).

Haha, that's true :lol: :lol:

Oh, I'm from July 30 actually! Very close. Probably explains why we share the same taste in music :P

I do think so, yes. But that has more to do with my personal taste, I think. I LOVE Never Be The Same Again, still do, so that song will never feel overrated to me. But I could easily name 10 Melanie singles I prefer over I Turn To You. Not that I don't like it, I do, but I have never loved it as much as everyone else seemed to do.

I don't remember all their #1's at the moment, but I do assume it were most of their lead singles (I know Push The Button and About You Now both did and totally expect to see them later on in this countdown). You describe their transformation pretty well! Shame they ended so badly though. Their gay anthem fase definitely wasn't for me, even though I do love a good gay anthem 8-) It's just that going from Overload/Hole In The Head to Get Sexy is a bit disappointing. Sugababes 2.0 were my favourite, although Catfights & Spotlights is their best body of work for me. Every Heart Broken and Can We Call A Truce <33
And talking about the 'Babes- I see we have another entry. Round Round has never been one of my favourites, I remember it was released during the same time as Atomic Kitten's The Tide Is High here in The Netherlands and I was always rooting for the latter to be higher in the charts every week, haha.
It's a good song though, but should never be higher than Hole In The Head, mister!! :o
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Fan wrote:Omg, yes! Misha B <3 She had soo many potential, but like you said- they portrayed her pretty badly on the show and her potential was basically ruined before the show was over :( So sad though, Home Run and Do You Think Of Me? were tunes as well. But she never took off, unfortunately. Such a missed career! It's sad the producers cared more about the ratings than they did about the contestants itself.
I stopped watching the show a couple of years ago to be honest.

They are doing very well indeed- I also love a lot of their stuff. They have, however, never reached the levels of Girls Aloud or Sugababes for me, but I have a Little Mix countdown planned for later on.

Close! I'm from The Netherlands :P
Yeah, I know. Sad to think about it, but I hope with the success of both Sam Smith and Olly Alexander (and ofcourse Will as well) times are changing and people could be open about themselves (when they want to though, because no one should be forced to be out).

Oh, I'm from July 30 actually! Very close. Probably explains why we share the same taste in music :P

I do think so, yes. But that has more to do with my personal taste, I think. I LOVE Never Be The Same Again, still do, so that song will never feel overrated to me. But I could easily name 10 Melanie singles I prefer over I Turn To You. Not that I don't like it, I do, but I have never loved it as much as everyone else seemed to do.

I don't remember all their #1's at the moment, but I do assume it were most of their lead singles (I know Push The Button and About You Now both did and totally expect to see them later on in this countdown). You describe their transformation pretty well! Shame they ended so badly though. Their gay anthem fase definitely wasn't for me, even though I do love a good gay anthem 8-) It's just that going from Overload/Hole In The Head to Get Sexy is a bit disappointing. Sugababes 2.0 were my favourite, although Catfights & Spotlights is their best body of work for me. Every Heart Broken and Can We Call A Truce <33
And talking about the 'Babes- I see we have another entry. Round Round has never been one of my favourites, I remember it was released during the same time as Atomic Kitten's The Tide Is High here in The Netherlands and I was always rooting for the latter to be higher in the charts every week, haha.
It's a good song though, but should never be higher than Hole In The Head, mister!! :o
Yes, this is why The x factor fails so badly. I tend to just watch the performances on YouTube these days. :P Misha B had two great songs and they were both fairly successful so there was an audience for her music.

Little Mix have never been successful in europe but they've had lots of success in Australia and to a lesser extent America. I still love these girls though. <3

Ahh nice, i hope to visit the Netherlands one day. :D What surprises me is that back in the 80s there were a number of successful openly gay singers in bands (like Queen, Erasure, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Culture Club) so it makes me wonder what happened in the 90s for there to be such a shift. I'm not the biggest fan of Sam Smith but i do appreciate that he's successfully flying the flag for openly gay singers, likewise Olly. Speaking of which, i wonder if Years & Years will release new music next year? :D And we've already discussed, i'm always excited for any new music from Will Young. :wink:

Ohh so we're July babies. :lol: July babies have the best taste. :P

Aww, i'm still happy that I turn to you was such a successful single for Melanie C.

For me, there really much between the songs but i have fonder memories of Round round so that song has the edge. Ohh so were Atomic Kitten and Sugababes very successful in Netherlands? :D I like The tide is high but i love Round round more.
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:52 pm

57. Kelly Clarkson - My life would suck without you
Image
Year > 2009
Ranking > 8/12

What a song title! :lol:

It's not just british talent show winners making the grade. Kelly Clarkson won the first series of American idol in 2002 and went on to become one of the biggest female artists of the 00s. Sadly the best our UK equivalent Pop idol 2 could come up with was Michelle McManus. :lol:

I've mentioned previously that Since u been gone is my personal favourite Kelly Clarkson single but it doesn't qualify for this countdown. :( Nonetheless, in 2009 Kelly scored her first (and to date only) UK #1 with My life would suck without you as the lead single from All i ever wanted. Continuing with the tried and tested pop/rock sound complete with big ballsy singalong choruses that had made Kelly such a household name, she finally scored a #1 in the UK.

It's incredibly commendable that 15 years on, Kelly is still releasing new music and enjoying great success.

User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby heppolo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 am

^Such a watered-down, cliched production and instrumentals in this. Not a lot of other things to say about this, overplayed as well.
Waffles are checked cookies
User avatar
heppolo
Legend
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009
Location: interchangeable

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:38 am

"My Life Would Suck Without You" is one of my favourite songs of all-time, and its chorus is truly something stupendously amazing. I also appreciate how it's a love song without expressing explicitly the words "I love you". The music video is pretty good - by Kelly's standards anyway. I also wish to point out that I think All I Ever Wanted is Kelly's most underrated album; it is every bit as epic as Breakaway.

Unless my memory is failing me, I believe "My Life..." holds the record for the biggest jump to #1 on the US charts, all the way from #97. I think it was "Womanizer" that held the record prior...very briefly, jumping from #96 to #1. #randomchartfacts #imfairlysuretheyreactuallyfacts
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 44656
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby Fan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:22 pm

JakeP wrote:Yes, this is why The x factor fails so badly. I tend to just watch the performances on YouTube these days. :P Misha B had two great songs and they were both fairly successful so there was an audience for her music.

Little Mix have never been successful in europe but they've had lots of success in Australia and to a lesser extent America. I still love these girls though. <3

Ahh nice, i hope to visit the Netherlands one day. :D What surprises me is that back in the 80s there were a number of successful openly gay singers in bands (like Queen, Erasure, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Culture Club) so it makes me wonder what happened in the 90s for there to be such a shift. I'm not the biggest fan of Sam Smith but i do appreciate that he's successfully flying the flag for openly gay singers, likewise Olly. Speaking of which, i wonder if Years & Years will release new music next year? :D And we've already discussed, i'm always excited for any new music from Will Young. :wink:

Ohh so we're July babies. :lol: July babies have the best taste. :P

Aww, i'm still happy that I turn to you was such a successful single for Melanie C.

For me, there really much between the songs but i have fonder memories of Round round so that song has the edge. Ohh so were Atomic Kitten and Sugababes very successful in Netherlands? :D I like The tide is high but i love Round round more.
Yeah, all the drama around the show is so annoying these days. You just want to see some good acts who have the potential to become a successfull singer. I couldn't care less about anything else :lol:
Her singles did quite well, but I think everyone has forgotten about them already. I still would like to see a Misha B album though. Never was a fan of Amelia to be honest.

They did perform a few times here in The Netherlands though, and playing for around 5,000 people, without any hit whatsoever is could impressive!

Yeahh! You should. If you ever visit, let me know and I'll show you around :)
That is very strange indeed.. It did seem like the 80s were more tolerant in that sense. Because all the gay singers from the 90s (Ricky Martin, Darren Hayes, Stephan Gately spring to mind) all came out years later. I cannot stand Sam's music :oops: But like you said, I appreciate the fact he is so successfull and so open at the same time. Hopefully we will get some new Years & Years music! Did you see the documentary Olly did for BBC 'Growing Up Gay'? Powerful stuff.

They have!! They are the best people in general, aren't they!? :D

I was as well. Would love her to have a hit again though. Room For Love should smash <3

Both Atomic Kitten and Sugababes were fairly successfull and had a few top 10 hits over here. Whole Again, especially was massive. But I wanted to be sure, so Wikipedia'd and Atomic Kitten had 9 top 40 hits over here and Sugababes 12. I do prefer Round Round now as well :oops:

That Kelly song is bloody brilliant, the chorus especially. Nothing better than to belt (or scream in my case) MY LIFEEEE WOULD SUCK WITHOUUUUT YOU.
Although I am surprised Since U Been Gone or Because Of You never topped the charts over there :o
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby JakeP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:01 pm

heppolo wrote:^Such a watered-down, cliched production and instrumentals in this. Not a lot of other things to say about this, overplayed as well.
:lol:

I have a feeling the higher my countdown goes, the more you're gonna be unimpressed.

I love unashamed pure pop. :P
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby heppolo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:06 pm

^It's kind of ''not good'', because I can easily see the selling point of this, there isn't any element of surprise, this same song could have been released by anyone.
Waffles are checked cookies
User avatar
heppolo
Legend
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009
Location: interchangeable

Postby JakeP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:10 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"My Life Would Suck Without You" is one of my favourite songs of all-time, and its chorus is truly something stupendously amazing. I also appreciate how it's a love song without expressing explicitly the words "I love you". The music video is pretty good - by Kelly's standards anyway. I also wish to point out that I think All I Ever Wanted is Kelly's most underrated album; it is every bit as epic as Breakaway.

Unless my memory is failing me, I believe "My Life..." holds the record for the biggest jump to #1 on the US charts, all the way from #97. I think it was "Womanizer" that held the record prior...very briefly, jumping from #96 to #1. #randomchartfacts #imfairlysuretheyreactuallyfacts
I've seen Kelly dominating your chart recently with her latest album but i've got checked out the previews on iTunes yet, so haven't really been able to comment properly.

I'm glad to see you also love My life would suck without you. :D The chorus totally makes the song, i love these big anthemic choruses that you can sing along to. I agree the music video is fun and works so well with the song. To be honest i don't have All i ever wanted so only know the singles. Well, i think was the only single off the album that had any success in the UK. I do have Breakaway though, such a sublime album. <3

Ah, i wouldn't have a clue about the US charts as i hardly ever follow them. But if Kelly did climb 97-1 then that's impressive. Shame it couldn't have just been a new entry at #1 as surely that would be more impressive. Very few singles from my knowledge enter the american charts at #1 so it's an elite group.

#ilovehashtags :lol:
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby Benny » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:32 pm

'Breathless' and 'I Turn To You' are both great, especially the latter. It's the best song any Spice Girl has ever done (and that includes the songs with the group).
I also like the two Sugababes songs and Kelly's tune. :D
User avatar
Benny
Legend
 
Posts: 19525
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009
Location: .eu

Postby JakeP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Fan wrote:Yeah, all the drama around the show is so annoying these days. You just want to see some good acts who have the potential to become a successfull singer. I couldn't care less about anything else :lol:
Her singles did quite well, but I think everyone has forgotten about them already. I still would like to see a Misha B album though. Never was a fan of Amelia to be honest.

They did perform a few times here in The Netherlands though, and playing for around 5,000 people, without any hit whatsoever is could impressive!

Yeahh! You should. If you ever visit, let me know and I'll show you around :)
That is very strange indeed.. It did seem like the 80s were more tolerant in that sense. Because all the gay singers from the 90s (Ricky Martin, Darren Hayes, Stephan Gately spring to mind) all came out years later. I cannot stand Sam's music :oops: But like you said, I appreciate the fact he is so successfull and so open at the same time. Hopefully we will get some new Years & Years music! Did you see the documentary Olly did for BBC 'Growing Up Gay'? Powerful stuff.

They have!! They are the best people in general, aren't they!? :D

I was as well. Would love her to have a hit again though. Room For Love should smash <3

Both Atomic Kitten and Sugababes were fairly successfull and had a few top 10 hits over here. Whole Again, especially was massive. But I wanted to be sure, so Wikipedia'd and Atomic Kitten had 9 top 40 hits over here and Sugababes 12. I do prefer Round Round now as well :oops:

That Kelly song is bloody brilliant, the chorus especially. Nothing better than to belt (or scream in my case) MY LIFEEEE WOULD SUCK WITHOUUUUT YOU.
Although I am surprised Since U Been Gone or Because Of You never topped the charts over there :o
I totally agree, all i care about is how amazing the contestants are and how consistent they are on the live shows. It also doesn't help when they end up singing the same songs every year when there are millions of songs to choose from. I doubt we're ever gonna get a Misha B album now, its been 5 years since she made the charts. I don't even know what Misha B is up to these days. Her public profile is pretty much non existent and i'm not really into social media either. :lol: Aww, i thought Amelia had a tremendous voice but i think her styling didn't suit - unless i'm getting mixed up with somebody else. :oops:

Wow, i never realised that. Mind you i only really know about what Little Mix are doing in the UK, like tv appearances and performances, or any UK award shows and of course releasing new music.

Aww, that'd be amazing. My own personal tour guide. :P :wink: What is the nightlife like where you live? Where abouts in the Netherlands do you live?

Yes, like you say the likes of Ricky Martin all came out as gay long after they had success as a popstar. LOL i like Sam Smith but in small doses, i couldn't listen to a whole album of his because his shrill falsetto would drive me insane. It's pleasant as a one off song amongst different singers.

OMG! Yes i did watch Growing up gay and i felt dumbfounded by that documentary. I even found myself getting teary eyed, some of the most powerful programmes on tv can have that emotional impact on me. I usually joke that i'm a big softy but in all honesty some of these shows just sadden me immensely because i can relate to them. It's like the music video to 1-800-273-8255, the first time i watched it i was awestruck and found myself welling up so badly. :cry:

:lol: Who else on UK Mix is a July baby? :P

I think this was discussed either in this thread or my other chart thread about how radio stations these days refuse to play music from artists over a certain age. Sadly Mel C is now in that category although we do have Radio 2 in the UK which is aimed at a more mature audience but it has very little influence on the charts. As long as Spotify determines the success of all future huts, the charts are gonna remain bleak. I would much rather see a song like Room for love in the UK top 40 over some of the urban nonsense that America keeps churning out. :(

Oh wow, i never realised how successful Atomic Kitten and Sugababes were outside the UK. All i remember from over the years was this constant emphasis on british artists cracking America. So if they got to #20 in America it seemed a bigger deal than going to #1 across europe. I've never really understood why this is. :oops: Maybe they just make more money in America?

Yay! More Kelly Clarkson love. :P Quite surprisingly, the singles from Breakaway weren't even close to topping the UK charts. Since u been gone got to #5, Behind these hazel eyes was #9 and Because of you got to #7. I think its safe to say all three would've been #1 in my own chart back then as i was completely in love with Kelly during that era. I was never a big fan of My December though. :oops: :(
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:48 pm

heppolo wrote:^It's kind of ''not good'', because I can easily see the selling point of this, there isn't any element of surprise, this same song could have been released by anyone.
Aww, i think its such a joyous song. Sometimes a song doesn't to be surprising to be enjoyable. But i always say music is subjective. :wink: I'm inclined to disagree though as, apart from Kelly, the only other singers who could've done a song like this are Avril Lavigne and Ashlee Simpson.
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:53 pm

Benny wrote:'Breathless' and 'I Turn To You' are both great, especially the latter. It's the best song any Spice Girl has ever done (and that includes the songs with the group).
I also like the two Sugababes songs and Kelly's tune. :D
Thanks Benny :D

I'm especially loving reliving the earlier songs in my countdown. They are definitive throwbacks to my school days. :lol:

As for Mel C, as much as i do love I turn to you, i still prefer Never be the same again more. :wink: Ohh that's a bold statement there. :P For me personally, i'd at least say my absolute favourite Spice Girls song outshines every solo effort including Mel C's two chart toppers.
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby Benny » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:00 pm

JakeP wrote:As for Mel C, as much as i do love I turn to you, i still prefer Never be the same again more. :wink: Ohh that's a bold statement there. :P For me personally, i'd at least say my absolute favourite Spice Girls song outshines every solo effort including Mel C's two chart toppers.
I've never been a big Spice Girls fan, the only two songs of them I like are 'Viva Forever' and '2 Become 1'. Mel C's two UK solo #1s are so much better IMO. :wink:
What many people in the UK don't know: Mel C had another huge number one hit in Germany in 2005 with 'First Day of My Life'. It was the title song to a German telenovela. Despite its success in Germany, Austria and Switzerland it was never released as a single in the UK.
User avatar
Benny
Legend
 
Posts: 19525
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009
Location: .eu

Postby JakeP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:19 pm

56. Shapeshifters - Lola's theme
Image
Year > 2004
Ranking > 3/8

Time for another classic dance anthem from the 00s courtesy of Shapeshifters. Lola's theme is such a fantastic disco house track with London based gospel singer Cookie giving the track a more commercial edge with her gorgeous vocals. This was the perfect summer anthem for 2004 and its remained one of my favourite dance tracks of the 00s ever since.

The music video is also soaked in summer glory. The funfair idea is such an inspired one, especially as i used to love going to all the local funfairs growing up (i particularly enjoyed going on the walzers with my mates :P ). The music video captures that essence of excitement and the adrenaline rush that you only get at a funfair so brilliantly.

Oh, and who doesn't love a good water fight? :lol:

User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:28 pm

Benny wrote:I've never been a big Spice Girls fan, the only two songs of them I like are 'Viva Forever' and '2 Become 1'. Mel C's two UK solo #1s are so much better IMO. :wink:
What many people in the UK don't know: Mel C had another huge number one hit in Germany in 2005 with 'First Day of My Life'. It was the title song to a German telenovela. Despite its success in Germany, Austria and Switzerland it was never released as a single in the UK.
Oh lovely, Viva forever is exceptional. As much as i do love Spice Girls songs, i've always found Viva forever to be their most charming, yet hauntingly beautiful. <3 I do love 2 become 1 so much as well.

:o I'm gonna have to check out First day of my life on YouTube. I'm curious to know if i've already heard this but i don't recognise the song title. It just makes me wonder why the record company didn't think there was any hit potential for the song over here. Gonna have a listen shortly as i'm intrigued. :wink:
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:15 pm

55. Take That - Shine
Image
Year > 2007
Ranking > 5/7

From biggest boyband in the 90s to the most successful comeback of the 00s, Take That have always been a cut above the average boyband thanks mainly to Gary Barlow and his excellent songwriting skills. With a chain of hit singles, albums and a sellout tour in 2005, their comeback the following year couldn't have been more perfect.

Riding on the wave of success generated from Beautiful world over the festive season and into 2007, Take That released Shine as the second single off the album and i loved it. :P Such a departure in sound from their incredibly successful comeback single Patience that reintroduced Take That back into the nations hearts, Shine was such a joyous uplifting anthem full of pop brilliance. The song is still regularly played in the UK thanks to Morrisons supermarket adopting the song for its advertisement campaigns. Still, i'm sure Gary Barlow is happy collecting all those royalties! :lol:

User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby heppolo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:47 pm

"Shine" was an important step to maintain the comeback's success.
It also showed us that this time around Take That stepped up in terms of collective musical effort. Gradually, Mark's aesthetic and creative vision was present in the TT's songwriting more and even took over Gary Barlow's for a bit.
Waffles are checked cookies
User avatar
heppolo
Legend
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009
Location: interchangeable

Postby JakeP » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:56 pm

heppolo wrote:"Shine" was an important step to maintain the comeback's success.
It also showed us that this time around Take That stepped up in terms of collective musical effort. Gradually, Mark's aesthetic and creative vision was present in the TT's songwriting more and even took over Gary Barlow's for a bit.
I always thought Gary was the main songwriter in Take That, even after their successful comeback. So Shine was written by Mark or was it more of a joint effort? Considering the number of ballads they released after this song, its no wonder i gathered Gary wrote them all.

I must add that Rule the world would've been an incredible #1 and would be ranked higher than both Shine and Patience. As for Greatest day, i never got the fuss behind that song, one of their weakest songs imo. :oops:
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby heppolo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:07 pm

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:"Shine" was an important step to maintain the comeback's success.
It also showed us that this time around Take That stepped up in terms of collective musical effort. Gradually, Mark's aesthetic and creative vision was present in the TT's songwriting more and even took over Gary Barlow's for a bit.
I always thought Gary was the main songwriter in Take That, even after their successful comeback. So Shine was written by Mark or was it more of a joint effort? Considering the number of ballads they released after this song, its no wonder i gathered Gary wrote them all.

I must add that Rule the world would've been an incredible #1 and would be ranked higher than both Shine and Patience. As for Greatest day, i never got the fuss behind that song, one of their weakest songs imo. :oops:
'Shine'' was a joint effort, Mark's songwriting came through out the ''Beautiful World'', ''The Circus'' (which sounds quite like Mark's solo stuff) and even on ''Progress''. ''Rule The World'' is a good one, for me it's a bit Westlife though.
Waffles are checked cookies
User avatar
heppolo
Legend
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009
Location: interchangeable

Return to Personal Charts