JakeP Top 100 UK #1s of the 00s

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Benny » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:23 pm

'Shine' is okay but doesn't come close to 'Patience' or 'Rule the World' (though the latter can't appear on your countdown as it didn't reach number one).
Benny
Legend

Postby Fan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:57 pm

JakeP wrote:I totally agree, all i care about is how amazing the contestants are and how consistent they are on the live shows. It also doesn't help when they end up singing the same songs every year when there are millions of songs to choose from. I doubt we're ever gonna get a Misha B album now, its been 5 years since she made the charts. I don't even know what Misha B is up to these days. Her public profile is pretty much non existent and i'm not really into social media either. :lol: Aww, i thought Amelia had a tremendous voice but i think her styling didn't suit - unless i'm getting mixed up with somebody else. :oops:

Wow, i never realised that. Mind you i only really know about what Little Mix are doing in the UK, like tv appearances and performances, or any UK award shows and of course releasing new music.

Aww, that'd be amazing. My own personal tour guide. :P :wink: What is the nightlife like where you live? Where abouts in the Netherlands do you live?

Yes, like you say the likes of Ricky Martin all came out as gay long after they had success as a popstar. LOL i like Sam Smith but in small doses, i couldn't listen to a whole album of his because his shrill falsetto would drive me insane. It's pleasant as a one off song amongst different singers.

OMG! Yes i did watch Growing up gay and i felt dumbfounded by that documentary. I even found myself getting teary eyed, some of the most powerful programmes on tv can have that emotional impact on me. I usually joke that i'm a big softy but in all honesty some of these shows just sadden me immensely because i can relate to them. It's like the music video to 1-800-273-8255, the first time i watched it i was awestruck and found myself welling up so badly. :cry:

:lol: Who else on UK Mix is a July baby? :P

I think this was discussed either in this thread or my other chart thread about how radio stations these days refuse to play music from artists over a certain age. Sadly Mel C is now in that category although we do have Radio 2 in the UK which is aimed at a more mature audience but it has very little influence on the charts. As long as Spotify determines the success of all future huts, the charts are gonna remain bleak. I would much rather see a song like Room for love in the UK top 40 over some of the urban nonsense that America keeps churning out. :(

Oh wow, i never realised how successful Atomic Kitten and Sugababes were outside the UK. All i remember from over the years was this constant emphasis on british artists cracking America. So if they got to #20 in America it seemed a bigger deal than going to #1 across europe. I've never really understood why this is. :oops: Maybe they just make more money in America?

Yay! More Kelly Clarkson love. :P Quite surprisingly, the singles from Breakaway weren't even close to topping the UK charts. Since u been gone got to #5, Behind these hazel eyes was #9 and Because of you got to #7. I think its safe to say all three would've been #1 in my own chart back then as i was completely in love with Kelly during that era. I was never a big fan of My December though. :oops: :(
True, most of the songs choices have become so cliche on these kind of shows, I haven't seen any of the talents show in a while actually. Just got bored of them in general. No, it's not gonna happen :( But I have been listening quite a lot to her three songs since we started discussing her in here :lol: I love her stuff even more than I did when they were released I think!

Haha, ofcourse! Would be much fun!! I live in The Hague, the political heart of the country. We do have a lot of restaurants and little bars, but the nightlife in general (and especially gay nightlife) is pretty dull here. Amsterdam is amazing though and not THAT far away from my place. Where in the UK are you based?

Yeah, sad times. Although Ricky is still very popular in South America, and it's good to see how well he is doing as an openly gay man (and his boyfriend is so cute as well :oops: ). I did quite enjoy Stay With Me, but like you said- I could never listen to his albums. I absolutely hated La La La though, such an annoying song!

Oh, yeah. It made me pretty emotional as well. Hard-hitting stuff. Like you said, some very relatable stuff and it was sad to see how much people are still struggling these days. What touched me a lot was the mother of the teenage boy, she made me tear up just of her because so loving of her child. I always said I was not a softy, but these days I just have to admit I am indeed a big softy :lol: :lol:

I have no idea, to be honest! But we are, so that's the most imporant thing :P

We did in here I think! And for Mel it's even more complicated, as an independent singer who hasn't had a hit single since Next Best Superstar. Sad as she has done some brilliant music over the last few years, just glad she keeps on going though and she still has her small fanbase who support her.

I think the US was always the big market to crack, especially ten years ago when it was nearly impossible for UK acts to score a hit single over there. Times have changed in recent years with the likes of Adele, Sam Smith etc. But yeah, some UK pop stars did very well across Europe. And some never really took off, like Girls Aloud or Rachel Stevens (bless her :( :( ).

That is so strange :o Because Of You actually hit the #1 spot over here. Since You Been Gone was released around the time when I visited the UK for the very first time and it felt like the song was massive over there. You didn't? Ah, I thought it was a great record. Especially Sober <3 Never Again was a tune as well. One Minute and Don't Waste Your Time. Always loved the album cover as well.

Lola's Theme is a fun dance song, a song I hadn't heard in quite some time but always enjoyed.
Love Shine as well, although it's not one of their best comeback songs for me. Surprised to read you didn't like Greatest Day though! Brilliant song. Rule The World and The Flood would be my favourites. And Said It All, which is truly stunning.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:16 pm

heppolo wrote:'Shine'' was a joint effort, Mark's songwriting came through out the ''Beautiful World'', ''The Circus'' (which sounds quite like Mark's solo stuff) and even on ''Progress''. ''Rule The World'' is a good one, for me it's a bit Westlife though.
Ahh i don't have any Take That albums so i only know their singles. There's no denying that Shine showcased a lot of personality and i suppose it makes more sense seeing as Mark was on vocal duty.

Ohh you really find Rule the world to be similar to Westlife? I think its one of the best songs Gary has ever written, it was unlucky to come up against Leona because that song imo deserved at least one week at #1.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:19 pm

Benny wrote:'Shine' is okay but doesn't come close to 'Patience' or 'Rule the World' (though the latter can't appear on your countdown as it didn't reach number one).
I agree Patience is better. :P It's a shame that Rule the world couldn't get at least one week at #1 but Leona had an incredible chart hit with Bleeding love so its a bittersweet result.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Ohh you really find Rule the world to be similar to Westlife?
Yes, it kind of has that You Raise Me Up vibe
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:47 pm

Fan wrote:True, most of the songs choices have become so cliche on these kind of shows, I haven't seen any of the talents show in a while actually. Just got bored of them in general. No, it's not gonna happen :( But I have been listening quite a lot to her three songs since we started discussing her in here :lol: I love her stuff even more than I did when they were released I think!

Haha, ofcourse! Would be much fun!! I live in The Hague, the political heart of the country. We do have a lot of restaurants and little bars, but the nightlife in general (and especially gay nightlife) is pretty dull here. Amsterdam is amazing though and not THAT far away from my place. Where in the UK are you based?

Yeah, sad times. Although Ricky is still very popular in South America, and it's good to see how well he is doing as an openly gay man (and his boyfriend is so cute as well :oops: ). I did quite enjoy Stay With Me, but like you said- I could never listen to his albums. I absolutely hated La La La though, such an annoying song!

Oh, yeah. It made me pretty emotional as well. Hard-hitting stuff. Like you said, some very relatable stuff and it was sad to see how much people are still struggling these days. What touched me a lot was the mother of the teenage boy, she made me tear up just of her because so loving of her child. I always said I was not a softy, but these days I just have to admit I am indeed a big softy :lol: :lol:

I have no idea, to be honest! But we are, so that's the most imporant thing :P

We did in here I think! And for Mel it's even more complicated, as an independent singer who hasn't had a hit single since Next Best Superstar. Sad as she has done some brilliant music over the last few years, just glad she keeps on going though and she still has her small fanbase who support her.

I think the US was always the big market to crack, especially ten years ago when it was nearly impossible for UK acts to score a hit single over there. Times have changed in recent years with the likes of Adele, Sam Smith etc. But yeah, some UK pop stars did very well across Europe. And some never really took off, like Girls Aloud or Rachel Stevens (bless her :( :( ).

That is so strange :o Because Of You actually hit the #1 spot over here. Since You Been Gone was released around the time when I visited the UK for the very first time and it felt like the song was massive over there. You didn't? Ah, I thought it was a great record. Especially Sober <3 Never Again was a tune as well. One Minute and Don't Waste Your Time. Always loved the album cover as well.

Lola's Theme is a fun dance song, a song I hadn't heard in quite some time but always enjoyed.
Love Shine as well, although it's not one of their best comeback songs for me. Surprised to read you didn't like Greatest Day though! Brilliant song. Rule The World and The Flood would be my favourites. And Said It All, which is truly stunning.
LOL i just watched clips on YouTube. :lol: Aww, i'm happy that our discussion of Misha B has resulted in some increased airplay for her singles. :wink:

I live in Manchester which has an amazing nightlife, i really love the city so much. Granted my days of going clubbing and eating out are far and few between now (the joys of getting older :lol: :cry: ) but occasionally on Fridays we all go out after work for a few drinks, or maybe a curry. That feeling when the working week is done and i can relax for two days is also great - its just the weekends go so fast. :x lol

I hardly ever hear of Ricky Martin these days, but then i guess that'll be because the UK won't play his latest music. I've not even seen pics of his boyfriend. *goes on Google images* :lol: Hmm he's cute but i find Ricky has that cuddly cute attractiveness that i adore so much. :wink:

It was an incredible documentary. I really felt for Olly every time he got emotional and i wanted to give him a warm cuddle. <3 :cry: LOL i can't even hide the fact i'm soft. If i look at someone with tears in their eyes i find myself welling up, its almost like its contagious. So i tend to try and avoid looking at people when they cry because i know the second i look into their eyes, that's it i'm gone. :lol: :oops:

Actually Mel's last UK hit was more recent than that. She collaborated with Matt Cardle on Loving you which was a nice little pop/rock ballad.

America must be where all the big money is made, but its astounding just how few british acts succeeded in America throughout the 00s. :o Then again, it equally astounded how much american urban crap topped their charts too. :lol: Aww, Rachel Stevens had some great pop songs but never got that UK #1 but got close a couple of times. However, Rachel is in my countdown as part of S Club 7 as they played an incredibly big part in my youth. :D

Sadly Kelly Clarkson wasn't even close to getting a #1 here. That's amazing though for Because of you to get to #1 in the Netherlands. :D It does make me wonder why is it some songs that be #1 in so many countries but fall short in the UK. :-? :lol: Well, i say i didn't like My December but i really meant the singles off the album didn't appeal to me in the same the Breakaway singles did. :wink:

I still adore Lola's theme, its such an uplifting dance anthem and one of the best dance tracks to top the UK charts.

Shine is like a little ray of sunshine, another of those feel good anthems. Hmm i always found Greatest day really average and thought they had done much better songs beforehand. The flood was another excellent song, i really liked that period when Robbie rejoined Take That.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:49 pm

heppolo wrote:
Ohh you really find Rule the world to be similar to Westlife?
Yes, it kind of has that You Raise Me Up vibe
I'd say Rule the world had a bit more energy behind the song, whereas You raise me up was a full on emotional ballad. Even though i wasn't keen on Westlife, i liked their version of the song but not enough to make this countdown.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 pm

54. Christina Aguilera, Lil Kim, Mya & P!nk - Lady marmalade
Year > 2001
Ranking > 5/9

Fierce with a capital FIERCE! :lol:

Moulin rouge! was one of those films that MTV were obsessed with from what i remember anyways. The idea of getting four of the most successful female artists in America to come together and record a song must've been a mouthwatering prospect. That song was Lady marmalade which was completely new to me at the time, i wasn't familiar at all with the original.

Christina Aguilera was already well established in the UK by this point and her vocal gymnastics really made the song for me. Mya had some minimal chart success in the UK so i was kinda familiar with her. P!nk was on her way to becoming one of the most consistently successful female artists of a generation. Lil Kim...well, i didn't know her! :lol: I did, however, know Missy Elliott who appears on the track but isn't credited for some reason?

It was the ultimate diva battle to see who could upstage the others. Christna won Or maybe it was just me who thought this? :lol: :P

JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:40 pm

JakeP wrote:LOL i just watched clips on YouTube. :lol: Aww, i'm happy that our discussion of Misha B has resulted in some increased airplay for her singles. :wink:

I live in Manchester which has an amazing nightlife, i really love the city so much. Granted my days of going clubbing and eating out are far and few between now (the joys of getting older :lol: :cry: ) but occasionally on Fridays we all go out after work for a few drinks, or maybe a curry. That feeling when the working week is done and i can relax for two days is also great - its just the weekends go so fast. :x lol

I hardly ever hear of Ricky Martin these days, but then i guess that'll be because the UK won't play his latest music. I've not even seen pics of his boyfriend. *goes on Google images* :lol: Hmm he's cute but i find Ricky has that cuddly cute attractiveness that i adore so much. :wink:

It was an incredible documentary. I really felt for Olly every time he got emotional and i wanted to give him a warm cuddle. <3 :cry: LOL i can't even hide the fact i'm soft. If i look at someone with tears in their eyes i find myself welling up, its almost like its contagious. So i tend to try and avoid looking at people when they cry because i know the second i look into their eyes, that's it i'm gone. :lol: :oops:

Actually Mel's last UK hit was more recent than that. She collaborated with Matt Cardle on Loving you which was a nice little pop/rock ballad.

America must be where all the big money is made, but its astounding just how few british acts succeeded in America throughout the 00s. :o Then again, it equally astounded how much american urban crap topped their charts too. :lol: Aww, Rachel Stevens had some great pop songs but never got that UK #1 but got close a couple of times. However, Rachel is in my countdown as part of S Club 7 as they played an incredibly big part in my youth. :D

Sadly Kelly Clarkson wasn't even close to getting a #1 here. That's amazing though for Because of you to get to #1 in the Netherlands. :D It does make me wonder why is it some songs that be #1 in so many countries but fall short in the UK. :-? :lol: Well, i say i didn't like My December but i really meant the singles off the album didn't appeal to me in the same the Breakaway singles did. :wink:

I still adore Lola's theme, its such an uplifting dance anthem and one of the best dance tracks to top the UK charts.

Shine is like a little ray of sunshine, another of those feel good anthems. Hmm i always found Greatest day really average and thought they had done much better songs beforehand. The flood was another excellent song, i really liked that period when Robbie rejoined Take That.
Ah, that sounds lovely! I have never been to Manchester, but it is definitely a place I would like the visit one day. Always seemed like a fun city and it sounds like you would agree. I have never been a big clubbing fan in the first place (and I don't drink), but the occasional party night is fun. Although I usually just like to have some drinks with friends or go to a gig. What kind of work do you do actually?

He did have a pretty big hit with Maluma last year, it didn't reach Europe, but was massive in Latin America. Vente Pa'Ca it's called- fun track! Ricky himself is very hot as well. And he is getting hotter with age it seems. He used to be good-looking, but when I see him now, I'm like 'woahh, hello mister Martin'.

He, he! I totally see what you mean. I always pretend I'm not a softy at heart, but I actually am. A big one. I just have to see a sad dog or anything and I already feel like welling up :oops: Olly did do a beautiful job with the documentary, you felt it was a very personal experience for him as well.

I know that song excisted ( :lol: ), but I don't think I have ever heard it to be honest. Mel's latest record was good though and I always quite liked Matt as well. When We Collide is, after Hallelujah, my favourite X Factor winners single.

I know :lol: :lol:
Ah, So Good should have been #1 for 8 weeks. The whole Come And Get It record was so, so good. Shame she underperformed so much as I would have loved to have more Rachel music. S Club 7 were a big part of my childhood as well, so looking forward to see their entries in here.

Hm, yes. Seems strange, doesn't it? I assume Breakaway was a big-selling album in the UK though? So I assume a lot of people bought the whole album instead of the single, as it does sound like a good song to shift some albums. I do agree that the Breakaway singles were a lot stronger compared to My December.

The Circus was in general an album I very much enjoyed and Greatest Hits was the perfect lead for me <3 I did as well, although I did think the record was weaker compared to Beautiful Day and The Circus. The Flood is one of their best songs though.

AH, Lady Marmelade. Talk about iconic collaborations. Absolutely LOVE that one and think it should have been a few places higher in here :lol: I, however, disagree that Christina won! Lil Kim >>>> Her verse is fab!
I have always found it funny how, when this single was released, Pink was the upcomer and least known, whereas she has now outsold all the other ladies combined. Don't think anyone expected her to have such a massive success when Lady Marmelade was released.
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:39 pm

Fan wrote:Ah, that sounds lovely! I have never been to Manchester, but it is definitely a place I would like the visit one day. Always seemed like a fun city and it sounds like you would agree. I have never been a big clubbing fan in the first place (and I don't drink), but the occasional party night is fun. Although I usually just like to have some drinks with friends or go to a gig. What kind of work do you do actually?

He did have a pretty big hit with Maluma last year, it didn't reach Europe, but was massive in Latin America. Vente Pa'Ca it's called- fun track! Ricky himself is very hot as well. And he is getting hotter with age it seems. He used to be good-looking, but when I see him now, I'm like 'woahh, hello mister Martin'.

He, he! I totally see what you mean. I always pretend I'm not a softy at heart, but I actually am. A big one. I just have to see a sad dog or anything and I already feel like welling up :oops: Olly did do a beautiful job with the documentary, you felt it was a very personal experience for him as well.

I know that song excisted ( :lol: ), but I don't think I have ever heard it to be honest. Mel's latest record was good though and I always quite liked Matt as well. When We Collide is, after Hallelujah, my favourite X Factor winners single.

I know :lol: :lol:
Ah, So Good should have been #1 for 8 weeks. The whole Come And Get It record was so, so good. Shame she underperformed so much as I would have loved to have more Rachel music. S Club 7 were a big part of my childhood as well, so looking forward to see their entries in here.

Hm, yes. Seems strange, doesn't it? I assume Breakaway was a big-selling album in the UK though? So I assume a lot of people bought the whole album instead of the single, as it does sound like a good song to shift some albums. I do agree that the Breakaway singles were a lot stronger compared to My December.

The Circus was in general an album I very much enjoyed and Greatest Hits was the perfect lead for me <3 I did as well, although I did think the record was weaker compared to Beautiful Day and The Circus. The Flood is one of their best songs though.

AH, Lady Marmelade. Talk about iconic collaborations. Absolutely LOVE that one and think it should have been a few places higher in here :lol: I, however, disagree that Christina won! Lil Kim >>>> Her verse is fab!
I have always found it funny how, when this single was released, Pink was the upcomer and least known, whereas she has now outsold all the other ladies combined. Don't think anyone expected her to have such a massive success when Lady Marmelade was released.
Manchester is such an incredible city. When that horrendous tragedy happened at the Ariana Grande concert, the whole of Manchester were united and i remember when they held a memorial a few of us went along to pay our respects. It was such a humbling moment to see so many people stood together whilst they held a 2 minute silence. Oh really? My clubbing days were mostly after i turned 18 when i was still at college. :lol: LOL well i'm sure you'll be happy to know i'm a lightweight so i don't drink excessive amounts of alcohol. If i'm driving then it's an absolute no go area and i stick to drinking Pepsi or Coca-Cola. :lol: I worked at a publishing company as a business support administrator, its quite a time consuming and repetitive job but i still like it and i have a few really great colleagues who i like socialising with every now and again outside of work hours. :wink:

Oh right, i only know the Shakira featuring Maluma track from last year. Never heard the Ricky Martin track though. :oops:

Yes, i could tell just how personal the whole experience was for Olly, and i think that's what made the show so touching to watch. He should do more tv shows as he's got such a loveable attitude and he's also done acting work too so he must have had some media training when he was a student? Or that new Years & Years album. Whichever comes first. :wink: :P

Oh wow, i do love Hallelujah but i love one other of The x factor winners singles even more. I won't say which one it is, but its coming soon... :wink: Although When we collide was 2010 so wouldn't qualify for this countdown anyways. :lol:

I also loved quite a few of Rachel Stevens solo singles. It's an obvious choice but Sweet dreams (my l.a. ex) is my personal favourite. :wink: S Club 7 have two entries in my countdown, they were by far my favourite two #1 singles that they released. Did you watch any of their CBBC shows?

Ahh yes, i'm sure Breakaway was a big selling album in the UK so that would explain why the singles didn't perform better in the charts.

Take That are another of those groups where i don't own any of their albums but i really liked most of their singles. Their most recent material hasn't really clicked with me at all though unfortunately. :(

Lady marmalade was an instant hit, it seemed like it destined to be a worldwide #1 from the first time i saw the music video on MTV. I also think the success of this song paved the way for both Christina and P!nk embarking on incredible album campaigns as Missundaztood was released only a few months later, and then Stripped came along about a year later and the success of those albums solidified the girls status in the world of pop.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 pm

53. Daniel Bedingfield - Gotta get thru this
Year > 2001
Ranking > 4/9

Let's discuss sibling rivalry. :P :lol:

Daniel Bedingfield seemingly came out of nowhere in late 2001 when his debut single Gotta get thru this went to #1. The track caught my attention from the first time i heard it, with that pulsating melody that introduces the track. I'd been a hit ho-hum with the whole speed garage sound that had dominated the UK charts during those previous 18 months or so. But there was something about this particular track that just clicked with me.

This wasn't the only chart topper that Daniel achieved in the UK, but its the only track to appear in my top 100. If you're not the one was a nice song but nothing special, and Never gonna leave your side was admittedly a bit of a blur as i couldn't even remember how it went without the aid of YouTube to jog my memory which is never a good sign. :oops: :lol:

As for the sibling rivalry? It is little sister Natasha who wins the battle as her sole #1 single ranks highest out of the two Bedingfield related entries in my countdown. :wink:

JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:02 pm

^Should have been higher, one of the better pop songs of the 00s and a relatively interesting number one.
These Words contains a heavy dose of pseudo-American 00s R&B influence, one of the worst kinds of music there is.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:44 pm

heppolo wrote:^Should have been higher, one of the better pop songs of the 00s and a relatively interesting number one.
These Words contains a heavy dose of pseudo-American 00s R&B influence, one of the worst kinds of music there is.
For me, #53 was about right in my countdown considering the songs that are above although i'm sure you'll still regard Gotta get thru this as better than some of the #1 songs still to come. :P :lol:

Aww, i loved These words and that was another song that i loved from the very first time i heard it. I'd still choose this over some of the American 00s urban music you speak of. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:48 pm

By the way, Daniel was born in New Zealand, so he may count as the only NZ-associated number one act in the UK up until Kimbra's feature and then Lorde.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:21 pm

heppolo wrote:By the way, Daniel was born in New Zealand, so he may count as the only NZ-associated number one act in the UK up until Kimbra's feature and then Lorde.
Oh wow i never knew that. I always thought he was born in the UK. So Natasha was born in the UK?

It's a bit surprising that New Zealand hasn't created more successful artists. Kimbra is regarded as a one hit wonder here but Somebody that i used to know will always be an exceptionally good and unique #1 single. Lorde had the world in the palm of her hands in 2013 so i do find it quite surprising to see how her success this year has been a bit underwhelming.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:48 am

For me, "Lady Marmalade" is a Christina song featuring some solid supporting acts (well, 'fantastic' in the case of P!nk). The song really builds up to her part, and she just blows it out of the park; it's a song that's best suited for Christina's vocals, in my opinion.

The Labelle original is pretty great, too!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:39 am

'Gotta get thru this' is good! I like the fact that in the beginning Daniel's singles were totally different - 'Ggtt' was dance, 'James Dean' had some rock elements, 'If you're not the one' was a pop ballad. Regarding the latter, I absolutely looooooooooooove it, it's cheesy but so good! :cry:
Benny
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:40 pm

JSparksFan wrote:For me, "Lady Marmalade" is a Christina song featuring some solid supporting acts (well, 'fantastic' in the case of P!nk). The song really builds up to her part, and she just blows it out of the park; it's a song that's best suited for Christina's vocals, in my opinion.

The Labelle original is pretty great, too!
I actually agree, Christina totally owns the song and i love that build up with the "marmalade, marmalade". I used to think they were singing "i'm outta love" back then. :oops: I agree that the Labelle original is a great 70s soul classic. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Benny wrote:'Gotta get thru this' is good! I like the fact that in the beginning Daniel's singles were totally different - 'Ggtt' was dance, 'James Dean' had some rock elements, 'If you're not the one' was a pop ballad. Regarding the latter, I absolutely looooooooooooove it, it's cheesy but so good! :cry:
LOL i totally forgot about James Dean, it wasn't as good as Gotta get thru this which was such an anthem to kickstart his career. I do like If you're not the one but i never loved it to the point i always wanted to listen to song numerous times. LOL everyone loves a bit of musical fromage. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Gotta Get Through This was one of the few international hits of UK Garage genre as well, even making it to the top 10 of Billboard Hot 100
heppolo
Legend

Postby Fan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:08 pm

JakeP wrote:Manchester is such an incredible city. When that horrendous tragedy happened at the Ariana Grande concert, the whole of Manchester were united and i remember when they held a memorial a few of us went along to pay our respects. It was such a humbling moment to see so many people stood together whilst they held a 2 minute silence. Oh really? My clubbing days were mostly after i turned 18 when i was still at college. :lol: LOL well i'm sure you'll be happy to know i'm a lightweight so i don't drink excessive amounts of alcohol. If i'm driving then it's an absolute no go area and i stick to drinking Pepsi or Coca-Cola. :lol: I worked at a publishing company as a business support administrator, its quite a time consuming and repetitive job but i still like it and i have a few really great colleagues who i like socialising with every now and again outside of work hours. :wink:

Oh right, i only know the Shakira featuring Maluma track from last year. Never heard the Ricky Martin track though. :oops:

Yes, i could tell just how personal the whole experience was for Olly, and i think that's what made the show so touching to watch. He should do more tv shows as he's got such a loveable attitude and he's also done acting work too so he must have had some media training when he was a student? Or that new Years & Years album. Whichever comes first. :wink: :P

Oh wow, i do love Hallelujah but i love one other of The x factor winners singles even more. I won't say which one it is, but its coming soon... :wink: Although When we collide was 2010 so wouldn't qualify for this countdown anyways. :lol:

I also loved quite a few of Rachel Stevens solo singles. It's an obvious choice but Sweet dreams (my l.a. ex) is my personal favourite. :wink: S Club 7 have two entries in my countdown, they were by far my favourite two #1 singles that they released. Did you watch any of their CBBC shows?

Ahh yes, i'm sure Breakaway was a big selling album in the UK so that would explain why the singles didn't perform better in the charts.

Take That are another of those groups where i don't own any of their albums but i really liked most of their singles. Their most recent material hasn't really clicked with me at all though unfortunately. :(

Lady marmalade was an instant hit, it seemed like it destined to be a worldwide #1 from the first time i saw the music video on MTV. I also think the success of this song paved the way for both Christina and P!nk embarking on incredible album campaigns as Missundaztood was released only a few months later, and then Stripped came along about a year later and the success of those albums solidified the girls status in the world of pop.
I have visited London quite a lot, but have never done any other places in the UK. Manchester is definitely on my list, though! Yeah, I saw pictures of those events- incredibly touching, it felt like the whole city was united as one.
Haha :lol: I'm a bit of a late-bloomer in general, so never really did the big clubbing-when-in-college thing. Sounds fun! It's always good to have a few good colleagues who you grow close to and could hang out after work as well. Some of my colleagues have actually become very good friends of mine.

You should check it out! Maluma is HOT as well.

He he. I have a feeling it will be A Moment Like This! :P

Sweet Dreams was a good one, but has never been one of my favourites. I always prefered Some Girls from her debut, but she totally won me over with her second album. Nothing Good About This Goodbye is everything <3
Oh, yes. I always watched their show!! Was quite obsessed with them, I even did a school assignment about S Club 7 back in the day :oops:

I do own a couple of their albums, they were quite nice actually. Never really checked out a lot of their most recent stuff, although I LOVE Giants. Such an uplifting track.

Definitely. Everything about this second work so perfectly well and it was released at the right time. Moulin Rouge, in general, was such a cool movie. I absolutely love Nicole Kidman and I think it started with this movie.

Gotta Get Thru This is one of those songs I do like, but just never listen to anymore. Glad to hear Natasha won the battle though, she was definitely the better one of the Bedingfields for me.
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:27 pm

heppolo wrote:Gotta Get Through This was one of the few international hits of UK Garage genre as well, even making it to the top 10 of Billboard Hot 100
Oh wow, that's pretty extraordinary. I think Craig David enjoyed a substantial amount of success in America too, even though i wasn't as on board with his songs. :oops:

I'm sure Natasha ended up having a far more successful career in America too.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:50 pm

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:Gotta Get Through This was one of the few international hits of UK Garage genre as well, even making it to the top 10 of Billboard Hot 100
Oh wow, that's pretty extraordinary. I think Craig David enjoyed a substantial amount of success in America too, even though i wasn't as on board with his songs. :oops:

I'm sure Natasha ended up having a far more successful career in America too.
While on holiday visiting his parents in New Zealand in 2004, Bedingfield nearly lost his life in a serious car accident. As a result, he was left with severe head and neck injuries because of the car rolling on him. That's one of the reasons he had a long break, by the way.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Fan wrote:I have visited London quite a lot, but have never done any other places in the UK. Manchester is definitely on my list, though! Yeah, I saw pictures of those events- incredibly touching, it felt like the whole city was united as one.
Haha :lol: I'm a bit of a late-bloomer in general, so never really did the big clubbing-when-in-college thing. Sounds fun! It's always good to have a few good colleagues who you grow close to and could hang out after work as well. Some of my colleagues have actually become very good friends of mine.

You should check it out! Maluma is HOT as well.

Sweet Dreams was a good one, but has never been one of my favourites. I always prefered Some Girls from her debut, but she totally won me over with her second album. Nothing Good About This Goodbye is everything <3
Oh, yes. I always watched their show!! Was quite obsessed with them, I even did a school assignment about S Club 7 back in the day :oops:

I do own a couple of their albums, they were quite nice actually. Never really checked out a lot of their most recent stuff, although I LOVE Giants. Such an uplifting track.

Definitely. Everything about this second work so perfectly well and it was released at the right time. Moulin Rouge, in general, was such a cool movie. I absolutely love Nicole Kidman and I think it started with this movie.

Gotta Get Thru This is one of those songs I do like, but just never listen to anymore. Glad to hear Natasha won the battle though, she was definitely the better one of the Bedingfields for me.
Sometimes i think London is overrated. :lol: Manchester really was united, and i've seen just how strong communities are when disaster strikes. Just like the terrible tragedy in Grenfell. If there's one thing i hate about the UK, its our government. :evil:

I often think i can get a bit too close to someone who i'm really good friends with and this can have a knock on effect. For eg, one guy who i used to work with i still regard as the best colleague i've ever had, we just clicked and got on so well. When he left the company in 2015 i was so upset. We still stay in contact with each other but he now lives in Dundee, Scotland with his boyfriend. :cry:

Ohh yes, Maluma is hot, thanks to Shakira for bringing him to my attention. :lol: :P

Some girls was really quirky, i did love that song too. Rachel was amazing with some really great pop tracks. :D OMG that assignment sounds fabulous. :lol: :P What did you write about, and did you get an excellent grade? :wink:

Ahh i never really got into Giants to be honest. :( I think These days was the last Take That song i really liked.

LOL i think Nicole Kidman made a name for herself thanks to Titanic, so by the time Moulin rouge came along everyone already knew Nicole, and perhaps there was more anticipation surrounding her role in the film. The two films couldn't be more different. :P

Yes, i think many people would agree that Natasha had an incredible career. Have you heard her latest single Hey boy? :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:53 pm

heppolo wrote:While on holiday visiting his parents in New Zealand in 2004, Bedingfield nearly lost his life in a serious car accident. As a result, he was left with severe head and neck injuries because of the car rolling on him. That's one of the reasons he had a long break, by the way.
OMG! :o That's horrific. I can't even imagine what that must've been like. :( Has Daniel continued recording music, or at least writing music? I should really check on YouTube i'm sure i'll find the answer.
JakeP
Manager

Return to Personal Charts