JakeP Top 100 UK #1s of the 00s

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby heppolo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:02 pm

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:While on holiday visiting his parents in New Zealand in 2004, Bedingfield nearly lost his life in a serious car accident. As a result, he was left with severe head and neck injuries because of the car rolling on him. That's one of the reasons he had a long break, by the way.
OMG! :o That's horrific. I can't even imagine what that must've been like. :( Has Daniel continued recording music, or at least writing music? I should really check on YouTube i'm sure i'll find the answer.
Yes, he released an EP in 2013.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:21 pm

heppolo wrote:Yes, he released an EP in 2013.
That passed me by completely then. The joys of having no airplay in the UK. :roll: lol I will have a little search on YouTube later on.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:44 pm

52. Leona Lewis - A moment like this
Year > 2006
Ranking > 6/9

Fan wrote:He he. I have a feeling it will be A Moment Like This! :P
In the words of Louis Walsh "you nailed it". :lol:

It took three series but The x factor finally found a star, an incredible talent and the first UK winner to have global success. I absolutely love Leona, and it was clear from her audition that she was an exceptional singer. A moment like this was chosen as the winners single and I remember watching the live final with bated breath, having a shudder moment after Ray performed his version of the track and thinking to myself "i swear, if he wins"... :x He had a great personality and attitude, but he wasn't my winner.

When Leona performed her version of A moment like this, everything just worked a million times better. As for that high note? Goosebumps. I was awestruck, Leona really was that sensational. <3 Thankfully Leona was announced as the winner and i was so delighted. It seems crazy to think that up until that point it had been rare for female singers to win UK talent shows. I guess british women really love cute but ultimately average male singers! :lol:

As much as i love Kelly Clarkson, i much prefer Leona's version of A moment like this so much more.

JakeP
Manager

Postby stevyy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Shine by Take That is such a classic. One of their finest songs.
stevyy
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:21 pm

stevyy wrote:Shine by Take That is such a classic. One of their finest songs.
Ahh i know you are a big Take That and Robbie fan. Needless to say we'll be hearing from both acts further down this countdown. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby luckyONE » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:26 pm

"my life would suck without you" is probably my favorite kelly song. it has aged so well, could be a hit nowadays, too!

"a moment like this" is definitely amazing (and i prefer leona's version, too. however that song itself is amazing!), and everytime it is used in a great TV moment, i get goosebumps!
such a shame it is not included on my CD of her "spirit" album.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:50 pm

luckyONE wrote:"my life would suck without you" is probably my favorite kelly song. it has aged so well, could be a hit nowadays, too!

"a moment like this" is definitely amazing (and i prefer leona's version, too. however that song itself is amazing!), and everytime it is used in a great TV moment, i get goosebumps!
such a shame it is not included on my CD of her "spirit" album.
Ohh, as much as i do love My life would suck without you, i do prefer a few other Kelly Clarkson singles more. Since u been gone is amazing, and then there are songs like What doesn't kill you (stronger) and Piece by piece that i love so much too. Kelly has released so many strong singles over the years. <3

Leona totally sells A moment like this, its just the way it starts so delicate and gradually builds and then reaches its big climax with that note and it never fails to give me goosebumps whenever i listen to the song. I wonder why they omitted the song from the tracklist. It really wouldn't have looked out of place on the album.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:52 pm

51. McFly - All about you
Year > 2005
Ranking > 4/10

It's the return of McFly with their final entry in my countdown with this very charming and heart warming ballad. All about you was the official Comic relief single in 2005 and marks one of those rare occasions where a charity single was also an incredibly good song. :P

The music video for All about you is so funny with so many cameo appearances in the video, but ultimately without looking tacky. I actually loved how the music video is almost like a parody, similar to those tv sketches i see on several comedy shows. :lol:

The qualify of the below video isn't the greatest, but it's the best i could find on YouTube. :(

JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:46 am

JakeP wrote:Sometimes i think London is overrated. :lol: Manchester really was united, and i've seen just how strong communities are when disaster strikes. Just like the terrible tragedy in Grenfell. If there's one thing i hate about the UK, its our government. :evil:

I often think i can get a bit too close to someone who i'm really good friends with and this can have a knock on effect. For eg, one guy who i used to work with i still regard as the best colleague i've ever had, we just clicked and got on so well. When he left the company in 2015 i was so upset. We still stay in contact with each other but he now lives in Dundee, Scotland with his boyfriend. :cry:

Ohh yes, Maluma is hot, thanks to Shakira for bringing him to my attention. :lol: :P

Some girls was really quirky, i did love that song too. Rachel was amazing with some really great pop tracks. :D OMG that assignment sounds fabulous. :lol: :P What did you write about, and did you get an excellent grade? :wink:

Ahh i never really got into Giants to be honest. :( I think These days was the last Take That song i really liked.

LOL i think Nicole Kidman made a name for herself thanks to Titanic, so by the time Moulin rouge came along everyone already knew Nicole, and perhaps there was more anticipation surrounding her role in the film. The two films couldn't be more different. :P

Yes, i think many people would agree that Natasha had an incredible career. Have you heard her latest single Hey boy? :D
Ahh, I LOVE London so much. Haven't been in a couple of years now, but really want to visit again. It's just such a special place to me for some reason, I love the buzz and energy the city gives you. That is definitely true. Sometimes it's just sad a tragedy like that has to happen in orde to come together as a community.

Ah, yeah- I see what you mean. And did you see that guy as a friend/colleague or something more as well? I used to have the biggest crush on this guy at my workplace, it wasn't even funny anymore as I got nervous the second I saw him :oops: Glad that crush is over now!

Haha- I can't remember it that well as it must have been like 12 years ago. I think I just wrote a little paper about the band- who they were etc. :lol: #intellectualstuff. I also remember we once had to bring the lyrics to a song to analyse in English class in high school and for some reason I decided to bring Rachel's So Good :lol: :lol: Such deep and inspirational lyrics ofcourse <3

Well, it was Kate Winslet who starred in Titanic not Nicole :P

I have, yes, Quite enjoyed it, especially since the video was a responce to Trump and Harvey Weinstein. I was like, you go Natasha!! Do you like it?

And there it is- A Moment Like This :lol: I knew it! It was a bit of a lame choice, as Kelly already released it as winner's single, but Leona surely made the version her own and I think I prefer hers. Beautiful song, although I do prefer Hallelujah (and When We Collide and maybe That's My Goal as well).
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:39 am

Fan wrote:Ahh, I LOVE London so much. Haven't been in a couple of years now, but really want to visit again. It's just such a special place to me for some reason, I love the buzz and energy the city gives you. That is definitely true. Sometimes it's just sad a tragedy like that has to happen in orde to come together as a community.

Ah, yeah- I see what you mean. And did you see that guy as a friend/colleague or something more as well? I used to have the biggest crush on this guy at my workplace, it wasn't even funny anymore as I got nervous the second I saw him :oops: Glad that crush is over now!

Haha- I can't remember it that well as it must have been like 12 years ago. I think I just wrote a little paper about the band- who they were etc. :lol: #intellectualstuff. I also remember we once had to bring the lyrics to a song to analyse in English class in high school and for some reason I decided to bring Rachel's So Good :lol: :lol: Such deep and inspirational lyrics ofcourse <3

Well, it was Kate Winslet who starred in Titanic not Nicole :P

I have, yes, Quite enjoyed it, especially since the video was a responce to Trump and Harvey Weinstein. I was like, you go Natasha!! Do you like it?

And there it is- A Moment Like This :lol: I knew it! It was a bit of a lame choice, as Kelly already released it as winner's single, but Leona surely made the version her own and I think I prefer hers. Beautiful song, although I do prefer Hallelujah (and When We Collide and maybe That's My Goal as well).
LOL imo you've just described Manchester perfectly. :lol: One visit to Manchester and you'll never look back. :P :wink: I suppose London offers far more tourist attractions which makes sense seeing as its the capital city. Maybe i'm biased because i live here but i much prefer the buzz and energy of Manchester. :wink:

It was kinda awkward because i really did love him, but he already had a boyfriend when he joined the company. Then to add salt to the wounds about 6 months after he joined, he asked the director if his boyfriend could come and work at the company over the summer as he'd just finished college for the summer holidays. Then i was told about this and was told he's be working in my department and that they wanted to pretty much be his manager. :oops: When i first met his boyfriend, my initial thought was "oh, ok". I imagined he would be really cute and sexy but he looked like a tramp. :oops: I was a bit mystified and i thought "i can't believe you find this guy attractive". He was also useless too, he just panicked over everything and worried so much that he would things wrong, that he would even get the simplest tasks wrong. In short, i was happier when he went back to college that September. Those six weeks were a catastrophe. :lol:

Aww, i didn't have any interesting essays to write from what i can remember. Most of the time our english teacher would tell us the topics we would study. Maybe she feared if we got to choose song lyrics, we'd all choose something like Eminem with his endless swearing. :lol:

Oh gosh, why did i say Titanic? :oops: I really am hopeless when it comes to films, you can tell i don't go cinema that often. :lol:

Check out my latest chart and you'll see the answer. Shameless plug! :P

I just love everything about Leona's version of A moment like this. It's truly magical imo. <3 When we collide and That's my goal are easily two of the best male winners songs. That said, i also liked Impossible by James Arthur. But i wouldn't say i loved them.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:43 am

This summer The Voice Kids UK reminded me of ''All About You'' (not my favourite McFly single, not even my favourite McFly #1).
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:55 am

heppolo wrote:This summer The Voice Kids UK reminded me of ''All About You'' (not my favourite McFly single, not even my favourite McFly #1).
I watched a bit of The voice kids when it was tv but for some reason i always find it a bit too predictable when singers walk on stage and then start singing a song by one of the coaches. It usually feels very set up, especially when said coach turns around.

But i really love All about you and its quite comfortably my favourite McFly single.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:04 pm

As I've mentioned previously, my faves are ''Transylvania'' (as a #1), ''Party Girl'' and "Love Is Easy" (from the rest of the bunch)
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:14 pm

heppolo wrote:As I've mentioned previously, my faves are ''Transylvania'' (as a #1), ''Party Girl'' and "Love Is Easy" (from the rest of the bunch)
The one McFly track that i really do think is an underrated gem is Room on the 3rd floor. Wasn't a #1 but i think by that point the album had already been out for a while. I had to YouTube This is love as i couldn't remember it, but listening to the song now and it is another of their charming chirpy songs.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:21 pm

^''All About You'' was supposedly written by Tom to his longtime gf (now wife) Giovanna
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:31 pm

50. Melanie C featuring Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes - Never be the same again
Year > 2000
Ranking > 10/16

As we enter the halfway point in my top 100 countdown, its the final Spice Girls related chart topper. Following on from my commentary for I turn to you (#61), it was Never be the same again that propelled Mel C back to the top of the charts.

With assistance from TLC's Lisa Lopes delivering an effortless solid rap, everything about this song was pure magic. A song that still gets a fair amount of airplay on the music channels. Sadly in 2002, Lisa Lopes died after being involved in a horrific car crash and I remember being incredibly shocked when MTV broke the news. :cry:

On an additional note, Benjamin mentioned a track called First day of my life that was #1 in Germany so i checked it out on YouTube. Why wasn't this released and promoted in the UK? It's such a beautiful song, can't believe i'd never heard this until recently. :(

JakeP
Manager

Postby Benny » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:02 pm

Never heard that McFly song before as they were not popular outside the UK.
'Never Be The Same Again' is good!

JakeP wrote:On an additional note, Benny mentioned a track called First day of my life that was #1 in Germany so i checked it out on YouTube. Why wasn't this released and promoted in the UK? It's such a beautiful song, can't believe i'd never heard this until recently. :(
Glad you checked the song out and liked it! :D
Benny
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:50 pm

Benny wrote:Never heard that McFly song before as they were not popular outside the UK.
'Never Be The Same Again' is good!

JakeP wrote:On an additional note, Benny mentioned a track called First day of my life that was #1 in Germany so i checked it out on YouTube. Why wasn't this released and promoted in the UK? It's such a beautiful song, can't believe i'd never heard this until recently. :(
Glad you checked the song out and liked it! :D
Oh gosh, sorry for getting you mixed up with Benjamin. :oops: :( First day of my life is so gorgeous. A part of me just thinks its a shame that british singers like Melanie C continued to have success and #1 singles in other countries whilst in the UK the media just portray them as "past it' or "flop". It beggars belief sometimes. :o :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:09 pm

I can't believe I almost missed two weeks of your countdown but I am quite busy at the moment, I'm afraid.

I'll definitely do a Cheryl Countdown at some point since she's one of my favourite artists but I will probably wait for another era.

Same here! - I mean, I partied a lot when I was 16-21 but strangely, after turning 22/23, it's basically non-existent. I use the money for other things (music+travelling) instead. - Oh, lightweight drinkers are usually so cute and entertaining at parties!

I agree. Some people are really taking it for granted that other people speak English fluently. I mean, you are travelling to another country.. what do you expect?

When I was in Azerbaijan for the first time in 2012 or in Uzbekistan last year, I was not able to communicate with most people at all and for days, I struggled with basic things because they only spoke their native tongue and/or Russian but seriously, I survived and it was a hell of an experience! - You shouldn't worry about that and you'll always meet people who speak English anyway; even though it's less than elementary ;)

62. The Corrs - Breathless
Clearly a classic but I hate it. It's super annoying; my mum loves it, though, she even bought that best of album by The Corrs and I always want to leave the house when this track goes on.

61. Melanie C - I turn to you
This, on the other hand, was my gem. It's flawless and you are absolutely right! The single remix made a huge difference! What a track! - Don't call me out.. but I love her hair in that music video :D #basicmillenniumbitch

60. Nizlopi - The jcb song
Never heard of that one before. I almost feel asleep while listening to it #sorry

59. Sugababes - Hole in the head
Oh gosh, I agree!!! Sugababes' "Walk This Way" is crap! I can't believe it was #1!? - The rest of their singles discography is excellent and "Hole In The Head" is catchyas hell! - Can't wait to see where the other tracks will be ranked!

58. Sugababes - Round round
Oh! That was fast! :lol: I forgot about its music video!! I think it made me fall in love with the song! It#s simple but so amazing at the same time! This > Hole In The Head (both tracks a great though!)

57. Kelly Clarkson - My life would suck without you
Amazing voice but I have never been a fan of her style and tracks, tbh. "My Life Would Suck Without You" is quite enjoyable, though.

56. Shapeshifters - Lola's theme
Not my cup of tea either; clearly well-remembered tune of the 00s, though.

55. Take That - Shine
What a comeback! - I love "Patience" more but "Shine" was a great comeback! Agree!

54. Christina Aguilera, Lil Kim, Mya & P!nk - Lady marmalade
Iconic music video. But I was tired of all the belting, rapping and P!nk when I was younger. Nowadays, I can enjoy this track but it's one of my least favourite tracks by Xtina.

53. Daniel Bedingfield - Gotta get thru this
Oh gosh, I really thought Daniel Bedingfield was good; never actually listened to a track by him and now I know why :D
Definitely the worst song on your excellent countdown so far!

Flawless! She sounds so fragile or delicate at first but she owns the track afterwards!

Listening to it for the very first time. It's cute ;)

Mel C used to be so freaking brilliant! Another amazing hit. I expected her to become as big as the Spice Girls but in the end, she was kind of lost, musically. It's a pity.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:11 pm

Mainshow wrote:I can't believe I almost missed two weeks of your countdown but I am quite busy at the moment, I'm afraid.

I'll definitely do a Cheryl Countdown at some point since she's one of my favourite artists but I will probably wait for another era.

Same here! - I mean, I partied a lot when I was 16-21 but strangely, after turning 22/23, it's basically non-existent. I use the money for other things (music+travelling) instead. - Oh, lightweight drinkers are usually so cute and entertaining at parties!

I agree. Some people are really taking it for granted that other people speak English fluently. I mean, you are travelling to another country.. what do you expect?
Aww, don't worry if you're busy. I'll get get to one particularly day and realise i'll be going out in the evening so will end up posting that days chart position early.

I would be intrigued by a Cheryl top 10. Her biggest UK hit is still to come i'm sure you'll be happy to know. :wink:

Mainshow wrote:62. The Corrs - Breathless
Clearly a classic but I hate it. It's super annoying; my mum loves it, though, she even bought that best of album by The Corrs and I always want to leave the house when this track goes on.

61. Melanie C - I turn to you
This, on the other hand, was my gem. It's flawless and you are absolutely right! The single remix made a huge difference! What a track! - Don't call me out.. but I love her hair in that music video :D #basicmillenniumbitch

60. Nizlopi - The jcb song
Never heard of that one before. I almost feel asleep while listening to it #sorry

59. Sugababes - Hole in the head
Oh gosh, I agree!!! Sugababes' "Walk This Way" is crap! I can't believe it was #1!? - The rest of their singles discography is excellent and "Hole In The Head" is catchyas hell! - Can't wait to see where the other tracks will be ranked!

58. Sugababes - Round round
Oh! That was fast! :lol: I forgot about its music video!! I think it made me fall in love with the song! It#s simple but so amazing at the same time! This > Hole In The Head (both tracks a great though!)

57. Kelly Clarkson - My life would suck without you
Amazing voice but I have never been a fan of her style and tracks, tbh. "My Life Would Suck Without You" is quite enjoyable, though.

55. Take That - Shine
What a comeback! - I love "Patience" more but "Shine" was a great comeback! Agree!

54. Christina Aguilera, Lil Kim, Mya & P!nk - Lady marmalade
Iconic music video. But I was tired of all the belting, rapping and P!nk when I was younger. Nowadays, I can enjoy this track but it's one of my least favourite tracks by Xtina.

53. Daniel Bedingfield - Gotta get thru this
Oh gosh, I really thought Daniel Bedingfield was good; never actually listened to a track by him and now I know why :D
Definitely the worst song on your excellent countdown so far!

Flawless! She sounds so fragile or delicate at first but she owns the track afterwards!

Listening to it for the very first time. It's cute ;)

Mel C used to be so freaking brilliant! Another amazing hit. I expected her to become as big as the Spice Girls but in the end, she was kind of lost, musically. It's a pity.
Aww, i love Breathless. What is it about the song you don't like? :lol: I turn to you was flawless, even now whenever i listen to the track i get so euphoric just from the intro. :D Aww, did you listen to The jcb song until the end? The best part of the song is in the last minute. :lol: A double dose of Sugababes, i love both songs and couldn't really distinguish between either but in the end i felt that Round round edged out in front a little bit. I can't say i've loved every single Kelly Clarkson has ever released, but i do have such a big soft spot for My life would suck without you. Take That's comeback was incredible and lucky for the guys, they had the music to match the hype. Shine is one of those songs that is guaranteed to put me in a good mood, its just that type of song. Christina totally owns Lady marmalade with her powerful vocals. LOL so you really don't like Daniel Bedingfield? :o :lol: Leona is an exceptionally talented singer, i'm still so happy that she got so much support with her first album Spirit. Sadly you're right about Mel C, i do think radio stations refusing to play her music didn't help ether.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:39 pm

Year > 2000
Ranking > 10/16

Which means you have 9 better number ones in 2000? I am baffled.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:11 pm

heppolo wrote:Year > 2000
Ranking > 10/16

Which means you have 9 better number ones in 2000? I am baffled.
This my countdown, not yours! :lol: :P

I'm pretty sure the other 9 are obvious as either the song or artist has either been hinted at or mentioned at least once already in this thread. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:50 pm

49. Lady Gaga featuring Colbie O'Donis & Akon - Just dance
Year > 2009
Ranking > 7/12

I've put Just dance under 2009 as this was when the single was released in the UK.

However, my first introduction to the radical world of Lady Gaga came in late summer 2008 when Just dance first became a hit in Australia. Out of sheer curiosity i decided to check out the song on YouTube. It was an instant smash for me, i loved the quirkiness and wackiness of the song. Lady Gaga was on the verge of hitting the big time and within 6 months the success of this song had spread across the world including the UK (always late to the party :lol: ) where it topped the charts in early 2009.

To this day i still hear the words "red wine" when Lady Gaga starts singing. :lol:

JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:55 am

^One of her best, before she went full overblown and self-indulgent.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:33 pm

heppolo wrote:^One of her best, before she went full overblown and self-indulgent.
I agree that Lady Gaga had a number of amazing singles in those first 12-18 months. After the album Born this way came out she really failed to live up to the hype. The singles weren't as strong and ultimately Rihanna stole her waive. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Return to Personal Charts