JakeP Top 100 UK #1s of the 00s

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Fan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:50 pm

JakeP wrote:LOL Small and cosy it is then! :lol:

Aww, you will never be done with every man in the world. Otherwise you'll be stick with a woman...nagging you and arguing over the smallest things. :lol:

Oh totally Matt Cardle and Syco was such a mismatch. But i recently read that Matt has signed a new contract with Syco which seems kinda baffling. When James Arthur resigned with Syco it was because Say you won't let go was a success, and clearly Simon seized the opportunity to make more money out of the song. Then again, Simon Cowell is just a businessman who imo seems out of touch with what is popular most of the time.

No, i thought Alexandra was great. It was just typical UK media getting their knives out and turning against Alexandra for correctly pointing out that Louis talks a load of rubbish most of the time. Or at least never has anything constructive to say. :x I really don't get the british media, they are always trying to bring down those who are successful. It's mind boggling, and then people wonder why so few british acts are successful around the world. Well, let's get rid of all the crass british media and we want see things change. :lol: That's never gonna happen though. :evil:

I completely agree that Lady Gaga is a true entertainer. I just want to see Lady Gaga going back to her roots and making really amazing pop songs. I know so many people loved Perfect illusion but that song really missed the mark for me. I much prefer The cure quite easily. <3

The one good thing these days is that the younger generation do seem to be more tolerant than the older generations who were brought up in an increasingly straight world. We have tv soaps like Eastenders, Coronation street and Hollyoaks that have several openly gay characters. I think these programmes, as well as others, are helping to break down the barriers. So they help serve a purpose. Sadly there are still absolute idiots who have been brainwashed by i suspect by their homophobic parents, grandparents, older relatives etc...and its these people who aren't helping the cause.

Fair enough, don't want to give too much away in advance. :wink:

Aww, so happy to see more love for Robyn. I was unaware of her music in the late 90s, or perhaps i did hear one of her songs but it didn't resonate with me? The beauty of With every heartbeat was that it got me more interesting in some of her earlier music. I can thank my friend for that. :P

S Club 7 played such a big part in my life in 1999. I was at the perfect age to fully love everything about them, plus i was already quite the teenybopper by the time Bring it all back came out. I've always thought S Club 7 had better songs than Steps by comparison.

Ohh no :cry: More hated for I gotta feeling. I'm sure there must be other UK Mixers who loved this song. :lol:
There is this club over there, which even has a DJ in the toilet area :lol: :lol: Pretty cool!

I actually said to my friend the other day, I will just turn straight. Much easier. I don't think- I just feel like I am so done with men in general, I really don't trust them.

He has signed a new contract with them? That is indeed incredibly surprising! From both sides to be honest, as I doubt Matt is ever going to shift a lot of records anymore. And that's usually the only thing Syco is interested in.

The British media really seems the worst, to be honest. It sometimes feels like they just enjoy to tear people down. It is still so weird to me what happened with Alex. She basically had everything working for her. Great voice, good looking, dance moves, nice personality, catchy tunes. But for some reason, people just started to hate on her.

Ahh, I absolutely loved, and still love, Perfect Illusion. It's such a good song, which always gives me a lot of energy just listening to it. Shits all over The Cure in my very humble opinion.

Oh, absolutely. When you compare it to 20, or even 10 years, ago it has become so much better. Like you said, television programs have helped a lot with that and the general sense and feel has just improved a lot. Which is very good and important. Having said that, I sometimes feel like there is still a long way to go. Not just with straight people, but also within the LGBT+-community, especially when talking about things like internalised homophobia and such.

I think I did like Steps a bit more, compared to S Club 7, but they both released some many pop bops.

While I Gotta Feeling was a slight disappointed, you certainly picked up again with the last three songs!
Sex On Fire is a massive tune, it actually reminds me of my very first job since that song always seemed to be on around that time :lol: But it gives me great memories and I still like it a lot. Use Somebody was very good as well, but Sex On Fire always had the edge for me.

Liberty X!! Just A Little is just a perfect pop song. Loved the video, which made the song feel very sexy, and it's just an amazing song to listen to. Even after all these years, again a song that brings back so many memories.
Patience is just beyond gorgeous. What a comeback it was!
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:09 pm

Fan wrote:There is this club over there, which even has a DJ in the toilet area :lol: :lol: Pretty cool!

I actually said to my friend the other day, I will just turn straight. Much easier. I don't think- I just feel like I am so done with men in general, I really don't trust them.

He has signed a new contract with them? That is indeed incredibly surprising! From both sides to be honest, as I doubt Matt is ever going to shift a lot of records anymore. And that's usually the only thing Syco is interested in.

The British media really seems the worst, to be honest. It sometimes feels like they just enjoy to tear people down. It is still so weird to me what happened with Alex. She basically had everything working for her. Great voice, good looking, dance moves, nice personality, catchy tunes. But for some reason, people just started to hate on her.

Ahh, I absolutely loved, and still love, Perfect Illusion. It's such a good song, which always gives me a lot of energy just listening to it. Shits all over The Cure in my very humble opinion.

Oh, absolutely. When you compare it to 20, or even 10 years, ago it has become so much better. Like you said, television programs have helped a lot with that and the general sense and feel has just improved a lot. Which is very good and important. Having said that, I sometimes feel like there is still a long way to go. Not just with straight people, but also within the LGBT+-community, especially when talking about things like internalised homophobia and such.

I think I did like Steps a bit more, compared to S Club 7, but they both released some many pop bops.

While I Gotta Feeling was a slight disappointed, you certainly picked up again with the last three songs!
Sex On Fire is a massive tune, it actually reminds me of my very first job since that song always seemed to be on around that time :lol: But it gives me great memories and I still like it a lot. Use Somebody was very good as well, but Sex On Fire always had the edge for me.

Liberty X!! Just A Little is just a perfect pop song. Loved the video, which made the song feel very sexy, and it's just an amazing song to listen to. Even after all these years, again a song that brings back so many memories.
Patience is just beyond gorgeous. What a comeback it was!
LOL that's certainly different. Nothing quite like busting a move in the gents toilets. :lol:

Aww, you've just not met the right guy yet. Oh dear, if you think dating women is the answer to your problems i'm pretty sure you're in for a big shock. :lol: I honestly think it's same regardless of sex. I don't think i could say men or women are better when it comes to relationships.

I was surprised too as i've heard nothing of a new Matt Cardle single, not even a short preview. That said, James Arthur has a new song out and that's looking like it'll be quite successful so maybe with Syco on board, there is hope yet for Matt.

Sadly that's typical british journalists for you. I find it extraordinary just how much the public eat into the hands of these different media outlets. If they tried to bring down Adele or Ed Sheeran, they would succeed. :x

Hmm we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. That said, i'm curious to see if Lady Gaga does release some new material in 2018.

Well, sadly there is always likely to be homophobia as long as there are straight people. It's like a circle of life, but at least a gay couple can life a much happier life in 2017 compared to how gay people were treated 50 years ago. The bigger problem is how gays are treated in other countries, especially the muslim countries where young gay males are killed. That's an issue that seriously needs to be addressed. I'm gobsmacked at how out of touch several countries in the middle east are with their attitudes to homosexuality and it makes me thankful that i don't live in that part of the world. :evil:

LOL did you learn all the dance routines whenever Steps brought out a new single. I think Tragedy will always be their iconic moment even though it was a cover. The Steps singles i really liked didn't go to #1 in the UK. I'd say my favourites are One for sorrow, Last thing on my mind, It's the way you make me feel, Deeper shade of blue and Summer of love.

Sex on fire is a gem. One of the best rock anthems of the 00s and still sounds so good today.

Liberty X were a lot more sexy than the members of Hear'Say too. I've always found the two guys in Liberty X far more attractive, especially Tony who had an unassuming quality that i liked. :wink:

I'm loving the widespread love for Patience, it's clearly a song i think the majority of us can agree is an outstanding track. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:35 pm

37. Britney Spears - Born to make you happy
Year > 2000
Ranking > 6/16

The earliest entry to appear in my top 100 comes courtesy of the lovely Britney Spears. Born to make you happy was released as the fourth single from Baby one more time in January 2000, an impressive achievement considering this song had already been available on the album for almost a year at this point. But in the days of cd singles, it was much easier for an album track to top the singles chart upon release. Something that has become more difficult to achieve in the streaming era. Please can we have a cd single revival? :lol:

Whilst i described Oops!...i did it again as an iconic song, i actually prefer Born to make you happy because of its understated mellow nature. I equally adore Britney's vocals on this track, she sounds absolutely gorgeous and there is very little of that nasally tone that has been quite off putting in a few of Britney's other singles throughout her career.

Britney has one final UK #1 single still to come and its safe to say it's much higher up my countdown. :wink: :P

JakeP
Manager

Postby Benny » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:43 am

I adore 'Born To Make You Happy', one of Britney's best number ones! :P
Benny
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:57 pm

"Born To Make You Happy" is one of Britney's finest singles! - I am still pissed it never hit #1 in Germany even though having a superior Single Version as well as an incredible music video!

I completely agree! I need CD singles as well! It's so stupid to let them all die. It was always amazing to have alternative mixes, remixes and even bonus tracks and b sides on such records. I miss those days :(

"Born To Make You Happy" is definitely not as iconic as "Oops!...I Did It Again" but it's kinda timeless, though. It's a song which is liked by my parents and grandmother as well; you can still listen to it on the radio from time to time.
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:15 pm

"Born to Make You Happy" is adorable. I think even I sometimes overlook it among her lengthy list of quality singles, but it's a solid 9/10 for me. It's still a bit strange, though, that this was a UK #1 hit over some of her other, more classic songs.
And the category is: LIVE. WORK. POSE!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Benny wrote:I adore 'Born To Make You Happy', one of Britney's best number ones! :P
Mainshow wrote:"Born To Make You Happy" is one of Britney's finest singles! - I am still pissed it never hit #1 in Germany even though having a superior Single Version as well as an incredible music video!

I completely agree! I need CD singles as well! It's so stupid to let them all die. It was always amazing to have alternative mixes, remixes and even bonus tracks and b sides on such records. I miss those days :(

"Born To Make You Happy" is definitely not as iconic as "Oops!...I Did It Again" but it's kinda timeless, though. It's a song which is liked by my parents and grandmother as well; you can still listen to it on the radio from time to time.
Born to make you happy really is so beautiful, a perfect pop song. So happy to see us all in agreement with this entry. :D

Mainshow, dare i ask which single kept Britney off #1 in Germany? It wasn't DJ Otzi was it? :lol: How many Britney singles successfully got to #1 in Germany. :P

Aww, the joy of the cd single. I agree completely i liked when acts recorded bonus tracks. Even if people have the song on the album, there was still more of an incentive to buy the single purely for the extra tracks.

Yes, timeless is a great word to describe this song. It's a very accessible pop song that manages to appeal to a widespread audience, and this was usually what used to separate the global hits from the minor hits. Shame that Spotify has completely killed off any buzz and excitement that the charts used to have. :cry:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:32 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Born to Make You Happy" is adorable. I think even I sometimes overlook it among her lengthy list of quality singles, but it's a solid 9/10 for me. It's still a bit strange, though, that this was a UK #1 hit over some of her other, more classic songs.
I can understand why it would be overlooked at its never been regarded as one of Britney's "classic" hits despite being a very successful single in its own right. I adore the fact its beauty lies within its subtlety. <3

As for the UK charts, it must've benefitted from a fairly quiet period for new releases. Back in the early 00s you didn't really see many big new singles getting released right after christmas and new year. From what i can remember it was usually February when the release schedule started to look more interesting. But the music videos used to premiere weeks before you could actually buy the songs from music stores.

I used to love going into Woolworths or even supermarkets to check out the new singles and album releases. Memories! :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:38 pm

JakeP wrote:LOL that's certainly different. Nothing quite like busting a move in the gents toilets. :lol:

Aww, you've just not met the right guy yet. Oh dear, if you think dating women is the answer to your problems i'm pretty sure you're in for a big shock. :lol: I honestly think it's same regardless of sex. I don't think i could say men or women are better when it comes to relationships.

I was surprised too as i've heard nothing of a new Matt Cardle single, not even a short preview. That said, James Arthur has a new song out and that's looking like it'll be quite successful so maybe with Syco on board, there is hope yet for Matt.

Sadly that's typical british journalists for you. I find it extraordinary just how much the public eat into the hands of these different media outlets. If they tried to bring down Adele or Ed Sheeran, they would succeed. :x

Hmm we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. That said, i'm curious to see if Lady Gaga does release some new material in 2018.

Well, sadly there is always likely to be homophobia as long as there are straight people. It's like a circle of life, but at least a gay couple can life a much happier life in 2017 compared to how gay people were treated 50 years ago. The bigger problem is how gays are treated in other countries, especially the muslim countries where young gay males are killed. That's an issue that seriously needs to be addressed. I'm gobsmacked at how out of touch several countries in the middle east are with their attitudes to homosexuality and it makes me thankful that i don't live in that part of the world. :evil:

LOL did you learn all the dance routines whenever Steps brought out a new single. I think Tragedy will always be their iconic moment even though it was a cover. The Steps singles i really liked didn't go to #1 in the UK. I'd say my favourites are One for sorrow, Last thing on my mind, It's the way you make me feel, Deeper shade of blue and Summer of love.

Sex on fire is a gem. One of the best rock anthems of the 00s and still sounds so good today.

Liberty X were a lot more sexy than the members of Hear'Say too. I've always found the two guys in Liberty X far more attractive, especially Tony who had an unassuming quality that i liked. :wink:

I'm loving the widespread love for Patience, it's clearly a song i think the majority of us can agree is an outstanding track. :D
It's pretty amazing :lol: :lol: And actually, the toilets are gender neutral, so it's just another big party in general there. With both a DJ booth and a bar.

Hahahaha, yeah I don't know! At the moment I'm in a 'all men are bad and useless' kind of mood, as you can see- love isn't doing me very well at the moment :oops: I doubt I could ever date a women though, although I usually understand women a lot better than men.

He has? I don't think I ever heard any of James' material after Impossible tbh.

Yeah, it is incredibly strange! Dutch press isn't always that nice either, but the British is definitely a lot worse. But like you said, people tend to follow it for some weird reason.

True :( I mean, both the UK and The Netherlands still have to improve on several aspects of LGBT+ life and it's still definitely not always as safe as it should be, but compared to other, if not most countries, it's doing pretty well. Some of the things that are happening in other countries are just pure evil and sick. I can and will never understand the hatred. We are talking about being who you are and loving who you love, every person in the world should be able to do so.

Haha :lol: :lol: I didn't know! But they were never that big here to begin with. One For Sorrow is amazing, one of the Steps singles I bought <3 And I love Deeper Shade Of Blue, although it's one I discovered later on. Don't think it was ever released over here.

He he, I think I always prefered Kevin! :P

Born To Make You Happy is the ultimate cheesefest and I couldn't love it more if I tried. It's such a lovely, and like you said mellow, song! Just reading about it makes me soo nostalgic already. I adored it back in 2000 and still do, almost 18 years later. Queen <3
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:30 pm

Fan wrote:It's pretty amazing :lol: :lol: And actually, the toilets are gender neutral, so it's just another big party in general there. With both a DJ booth and a bar.

Hahahaha, yeah I don't know! At the moment I'm in a 'all men are bad and useless' kind of mood, as you can see- love isn't doing me very well at the moment :oops: I doubt I could ever date a women though, although I usually understand women a lot better than men.

He has? I don't think I ever heard any of James' material after Impossible tbh.

Yeah, it is incredibly strange! Dutch press isn't always that nice either, but the British is definitely a lot worse. But like you said, people tend to follow it for some weird reason.

True :( I mean, both the UK and The Netherlands still have to improve on several aspects of LGBT+ life and it's still definitely not always as safe as it should be, but compared to other, if not most countries, it's doing pretty well. Some of the things that are happening in other countries are just pure evil and sick. I can and will never understand the hatred. We are talking about being who you are and loving who you love, every person in the world should be able to do so.

Haha :lol: :lol: I didn't know! But they were never that big here to begin with. One For Sorrow is amazing, one of the Steps singles I bought <3 And I love Deeper Shade Of Blue, although it's one I discovered later on. Don't think it was ever released over here.

He he, I think I always prefered Kevin! :P

Born To Make You Happy is the ultimate cheesefest and I couldn't love it more if I tried. It's such a lovely, and like you said mellow, song! Just reading about it makes me soo nostalgic already. I adored it back in 2000 and still do, almost 18 years later. Queen <3
Oh wow, Amsterdam leading the way in gender neutral amazingness. :D Although wouldn't it smell a bit? :lol: I'd have to experience that to know how cool the idea really is. :P

Wow, your ex-boyfriend must've been brutal if he's made you think that way. :o Oh really? I guess it really does depend on the guy then if you tend to understand women more. Surely that's a skill? :lol:

Not even Say you won't let go? :o His new single is called Naked and contains the lyric "i'm standing here naked", but i'm not sure if i want to picture that mental image. :lol:

There is always going to be people obsessed with gossip and that's what newspapers and the like thrive on. I'd hate to be a celebrity in the UK because famous people have little privacy, and the idea of having paparazzi hanging around outside my house would fill me with dread. :x

Oh totally agree, it really is the lowest form of homophobia. To consider being gay as a crime worse than rape and murder just beggars belief. As if two boys kissing each other is doing more damage to the world than a truly abysmal terror attack. :evil: I agree we're very fortunate to be living in countries where its more accepted. Have you been to a pride festival? :lol: Im guessing you have these in the Netherlands?

Ahh that's interesting to know. I wouldn't know how popular british pop groups were in other countries, its not something that was talked about when i was young. It was only if someone became successful in America that MTV would make a big deal over it. :lol:

Kevin and Tony over the two guys from Hear'Say every time. :lol: :oops: Did you know that Kevin won The voice UK in 2016? :wink: He must've thought he would have a successful comeback off the back of appearing on the show, but his winner's single bombed and i never heard anything after that.

Urgh at your "almost 18 years later" comment. Times goes too fast. :cry: It's astonishing when i hear songs from the late 90s or early 00s and it doesn't even feel like it was 18 years ago. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:24 pm

36. Sugababes - Freak like me
Year > 2002
Ranking > 5/13

It's the fourth appearance from Sugababes and they still have one more entry still to come. :wink:

The story behind Freak like me is very clever and one that i wasn't even remotely aware of at the time. Back in the early 00s, mash ups became a big trend and several even became official singles. The mash up's i was familiar with all contained samples of songs i already knew.

Sugababes took an existing mash up and recorded a cover version of it which i think is an extraordinary idea. At the time i thought it was an original song. I'd never heard the original Freak like me, nor had i heard Are "friends" electric?. But how well do these songs work together? :D Sugababes totally delivered a flawless pop bop and its astounding just how fresh the music sample sounds on the track, considering it was produced in the 70s.

Everything about Sugababes Freak like me is gold from the quirky synth melody, their lush vocals, the quirkiness of the whole song, the build up to the hook "it's all good for me" and the music video is also quite mesmerising to watch too. :P

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:15 pm

35. P!nk - So what
Year > 2008
Ranking > 4/8

After making an appearance at #54 as part of Lady marmalade, P!nk takes center stage with her first of two solo entries in my countdown.

So what was an instant hit in 2008 that played to P!nk's strengths. The track had an incredibly catchy chorus, a "na na na naa na naa naa" hook that was guaranteed to be stuck in your head for hours and a brilliantly humour filled music video.

This was easily the best choice of single to kickstart the whole Funhouse era. I still see So what occasionally getting played on several music channels which is testament to how popular this single has remained since its release.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:45 pm

34. Destiny's Child - Survivor
Year > 2001
Ranking > 3/9

It's been a while since we last heard from Beyoncé - #96 to be precise! :P

This is the first of two entries from Destiny's Child in my countdown. I first discovered who Destiny's Child were in 1999 when their single Bills bills bills was constantly being played on MTV.

By late 2000 Destiny's Child had hit their stride, becoming one of the hottest girlgroups in the world, there really was no stopping them as the momentum was 100% in their favour. The line up changed significantly from a quartet to a trio in the space of 12 months, but with new member Michelle on board it was time for Destiny's Child to totally own it on a global scale. :D I remember seeing the girls performing on an MTV show and i was loving everything about it, the sassiness, the fierceness, the attitude, the diva-esque style. I had already liked some of their previous singles but after watching their live performance, i became such a huge fan of theirs. :D

Survivor was the album that set the girls apart from their peers. They had already built up a loyal and dedicated fanbase thanks to the success of their previous album The writing's on the wall. They struck gold by recording the main theme song for Charlie's angels (more on this later :wink: ) and by the summer of 2001 there was no stopping the girls. The title track off the album was released as the second single and with the continued momentum behind them, they scored a second UK #1.

JakeP
Manager

Postby Benny » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Destiny's Child had a couple of great songs though sadly 'Survivor' is not among my favourites. :(
But great to see that 'Independent Women' is still to come, I love that one! :D
Benny
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:20 am

Jumping onto this a bit late!

Nice to see BTMUH in the top 40! Also one of my favorite Britney songs from earlier on.

Not the biggest fan of the other songs, but I guess survivor can sometimes be a tune.
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Benny wrote:Destiny's Child had a couple of great songs though sadly 'Survivor' is not among my favourites. :(
But great to see that 'Independent Women' is still to come, I love that one! :D
Aww i love Survivor but yes Independent woman pt 1 is probably my all time favourite single by Destiny's Child. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:31 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Jumping onto this a bit late!

Nice to see BTMUH in the top 40! Also one of my favorite Britney songs from earlier on.

Not the biggest fan of the other songs, but I guess survivor can sometimes be a tune.
Thanks SummerPeur :D

Aww, you're never too late (see what i did there...Kylie song? :lol: :oops: )

So good seeing all this love for Born to make you happy, its definitely up there amongst my absolute favourite Britney singles. <3

By "others" you mean the rest of the countdown? :o Survivor is definitely a bop. :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:17 pm

33. Christina Aguilera featuring Redman - Dirrty
Year > 2002
Ranking > 4/13

Following on nicely from Mainshow goes Diva: CHRISTINA AGUILERA which took place in September. Dirrty finished 6th in that countdown, and the track finishes at #33 here. :D

Dirrty really was incredibly fresh, there really wasn't anything quite like it already in the charts when the song first premiered. The music video only added to its "wow" factor. Christina had switched it up from r'n'b flavoured bubblegum pop, to full on raunchy sex soaked pop.

With any album, the lead single is crucial in setting what could potentially be a massive era for both the album and the artist. Dirrty was the best choice of single to introduce to Stripped era. It's the only Christina Aguilera album i own on cd, such was the depth and quality of the singles which is what helped sell the album to me.

The success of Stripped continued throughout 2003 where Christina Aguilera scored a second UK #1 from the album. Needless to say, that song is still to come. :wink:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:20 pm

32. Lily Allen - The fear
Year > 2009
Ranking > 5/12

At long last we arrive at Lily Allen's highest entry in my countdown as The fear finishes at #32 which is amazing news because of this.

Fan wrote:A couple of years later, we got a similar assignment and then I picked The Fear. Which has actually some of the most interesting lyrics for a commercial pop song (a lot better than So Good). But I know The Fear will still show it's face here in the countdown, so I won't say more about it!
I'm intrigued. :lol:

When The fear topped the UK charts it also co-incided with me starting my first job. Naturally i was a nervous wreck and it felt like The fear was going to be my life anthem at the time purely because of the song title. :lol: :oops:

After enjoying incredible success in 2006, Lily really stepped it up with the release of her second album It's not me, it's you. The fear was another lead single that was just perfect for introducing the next era. I remember the music video getting so much airplay before the song was finally released and it was instant love for me. Fun fact, check out that lycra bulge at 1:49 in the video. Once you see it, you can never un-see it. :lol: :D :P :wink:

Everything about this track is so immense, powerful and clever. The lyrics, the vocal delivery, the production and especially those eerie ghost-like synths that are heard in the chorus. An incredible pop song, and easily my favourite Lily Allen single. <3

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:05 pm

31. Natasha Bedingfield - These words
Year > 2004
Ranking > 2/8

Following an appearance from Daniel Bedingfield (#53), its now time for little sister Natasha to have her moment of glory.

Natasha's first venture into the world of pop came earlier in 2004 with the release of her debut single Single. :P When it came to releasing the follow up single, Natasha got everything right.

One of the most catchy singles of 2004 to top the UK charts, i had a gut feeling from the very time i heard this song that it was going to be huge. The music video was also perfect for the summer with its bright colourful scenery and some beautiful shots. The whole package made for the perfect summer anthem and it was easily one of my favourite songs of the whole year.

JakeP
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:51 pm

"Dirrty" higher than "Born To Make Me Happy"? - I think you just broke me heart.
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:01 pm

Mainshow wrote:"Dirrty" higher than "Born To Make Me Happy"? - I think you just broke me heart.
As much as i love Born to make you happy, i think Dirrty is incredible and just edges out in front.

Both Britney and Christina have one song left to appear. It's left to be seen who ends up victorious with the highest entry. :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:55 pm

JakeP wrote:Oh wow, Amsterdam leading the way in gender neutral amazingness. :D Although wouldn't it smell a bit? :lol: I'd have to experience that to know how cool the idea really is. :P

Wow, your ex-boyfriend must've been brutal if he's made you think that way. :o Oh really? I guess it really does depend on the guy then if you tend to understand women more. Surely that's a skill? :lol:

Not even Say you won't let go? :o His new single is called Naked and contains the lyric "i'm standing here naked", but i'm not sure if i want to picture that mental image. :lol:

There is always going to be people obsessed with gossip and that's what newspapers and the like thrive on. I'd hate to be a celebrity in the UK because famous people have little privacy, and the idea of having paparazzi hanging around outside my house would fill me with dread. :x

Oh totally agree, it really is the lowest form of homophobia. To consider being gay as a crime worse than rape and murder just beggars belief. As if two boys kissing each other is doing more damage to the world than a truly abysmal terror attack. :evil: I agree we're very fortunate to be living in countries where its more accepted. Have you been to a pride festival? :lol: Im guessing you have these in the Netherlands?

Ahh that's interesting to know. I wouldn't know how popular british pop groups were in other countries, its not something that was talked about when i was young. It was only if someone became successful in America that MTV would make a big deal over it. :lol:

Kevin and Tony over the two guys from Hear'Say every time. :lol: :oops: Did you know that Kevin won The voice UK in 2016? :wink: He must've thought he would have a successful comeback off the back of appearing on the show, but his winner's single bombed and i never heard anything after that.

Urgh at your "almost 18 years later" comment. Times goes too fast. :cry: It's astonishing when i hear songs from the late 90s or early 00s and it doesn't even feel like it was 18 years ago. :lol:
First of all, sorry for my late reply this time!!

Hm, I don't remember it being very smelly to be honest. But when you come to Amsterdam, that place will surely be part of the Amsterdam tour, ofcourse :lol:

Let's just say that it was complicated, very complicated :P Yeah, I don't know. I usually find it way easier to connect with women than with men.

:lol: :lol: , poor James!

It is just insane, absolutely insane. At the end of the day, why do people care who you love? It's just about a human connection and basically human nature and it's none of anyone's business. Sad to think so many people seem to think it's their business.
Ofcourse! :P Amsterdam has one of the biggest Pride festivals in Europe, which always has a canal parade and that is pretty amazing. I was actually part of the parade itself this year- which was an experience!! And I organised a Pride Walk this year in my own town, which was very cool as well. Have you attended Pride festivals?

I did read about that, yes! But never seen any of his performances on the show, shame for him going unnoticed again right after the show ended.

So, so many good songs again!

Funny reading about that Freak Like Me story, never knew that! Freak Like Me is, just like Round Round, a song I didn't like at first but has grown on me a lot ever since and I do think it's a very good one now. Not one of their best though :P Hint, hint.

So What is basically what Pink is about and was a fantastic single to lead the Funhouse-era. Very fun video as well Although nine years already!?!? :o :o

Ah, Survivor is lovely. Very glad to see you prefer another DC though, as I think we will have the same favourite DC song, but this one is brilliant. Felt like a real moment when it was released and loved them doing strong/feminist anthems when it wasn't a thing to do.

Dirrty will always be Christina's best moment for me, a truly iconic song + video. It was everything she needed to stand out and prove the world she was more than a cute, manifactured pop singer. So much additude and pure sex.

Ah, I see my quote!! The Fear is just lush, bloody amazing and everything else. One of the most important lyrics of the past 10 years and still so relevant today. I love Lily's sarcasm in general and was done so well in here. I look at the sun and I love in the mirror- pure genius. Although I could basically quote the whole song in here :lol:

These Words <3 Just pop music at it's finest. SOO catchy and fun, even till this day. Natasha was such an exciting artist when she first appeared on the scene.
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:04 pm

Fan wrote:First of all, sorry for my late reply this time!!

Hm, I don't remember it being very smelly to be honest. But when you come to Amsterdam, that place will surely be part of the Amsterdam tour, ofcourse :lol:

Let's just say that it was complicated, very complicated :P Yeah, I don't know. I usually find it way easier to connect with women than with men.

:lol: :lol: , poor James!

It is just insane, absolutely insane. At the end of the day, why do people care who you love? It's just about a human connection and basically human nature and it's none of anyone's business. Sad to think so many people seem to think it's their business.
Ofcourse! :P Amsterdam has one of the biggest Pride festivals in Europe, which always has a canal parade and that is pretty amazing. I was actually part of the parade itself this year- which was an experience!! And I organised a Pride Walk this year in my own town, which was very cool as well. Have you attended Pride festivals?

I did read about that, yes! But never seen any of his performances on the show, shame for him going unnoticed again right after the show ended.

So, so many good songs again!

Funny reading about that Freak Like Me story, never knew that! Freak Like Me is, just like Round Round, a song I didn't like at first but has grown on me a lot ever since and I do think it's a very good one now. Not one of their best though :P Hint, hint.

So What is basically what Pink is about and was a fantastic single to lead the Funhouse-era. Very fun video as well Although nine years already!?!? :o :o

Ah, Survivor is lovely. Very glad to see you prefer another DC though, as I think we will have the same favourite DC song, but this one is brilliant. Felt like a real moment when it was released and loved them doing strong/feminist anthems when it wasn't a thing to do.

Dirrty will always be Christina's best moment for me, a truly iconic song + video. It was everything she needed to stand out and prove the world she was more than a cute, manifactured pop singer. So much additude and pure sex.

Ah, I see my quote!! The Fear is just lush, bloody amazing and everything else. One of the most important lyrics of the past 10 years and still so relevant today. I love Lily's sarcasm in general and was done so well in here. I look at the sun and I love in the mirror- pure genius. Although I could basically quote the whole song in here :lol:

These Words <3 Just pop music at it's finest. SOO catchy and fun, even till this day. Natasha was such an exciting artist when she first appeared on the scene.
Aww, don't worry about the late reply Fan. :wink:

LOL just curious because of the idea of a club in a toilet. :lol: It better be the first stop on our tour of Amsterdam. :P

I've been hearing a few stories this past week of a few couples who i know who are struggling with their relationships at the moment. I don't think its remotely possible to have the perfect partner.

Well, would you want to see James Arthur naked? :lol:

OMG that sounds amazing. So you're very active in getting involved with pride related events? :D That's actually really incredible. <3 LOL oh yes, every year they have a pride festival in Manchester and they always manage to book some big acts to perform. Gonna post this clip of Kelis when she performed here in 2010, it's not my video but i was there, it was amazing. Such great memories from that evening. <3

Kevin did a very good rendition of Chandelier which really impressed me. If a guy can sing that song, then he must be a good singer.

Aww, i love Freak like me. Oh so you didn't know it was originally a mash up either? I'll be checking out the rest of your Sugababes top 10 as i'm interested in seeing which songs you rank highly the most. :D

Oh i know, where does the time go? :o I still love So what so much, and the music video is always guaranteed to make me smile.

Destiny's Child totally owned it with the Survivor era. I also loved Bootylicious but that didn't get to #1 in the UK. As well as the track that's still to come i also adored Lose my breath and had that song qualified for this countdown then it would've definitely been ranked higher than Survivor.

I feel like i'm running out of things to say about Dirrty but it really was just a magnificent way to introduce the Stripped era. That said, i'm a big softy who occasionally loves a good ballad and Christina has definitely delivered a couple of gems.

LOL i think Lily was certainly on point with The fear. Outstanding pop track, easily the best track she has released as a single.

Also agree These words is the perfect example of a pure unashamedly pop song, and all the better for it. I also love Unwritten too.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:11 pm

"So What" is brilliant! It personifies P!nk as an artist better than any of her other singles, save for maybe "U + Ur Hand".

When I did my all-time favourite songs countdown in 2013, "Survivor" was #8, so that says everything really. :lol:

"Dirrty" is terrific, one of Christina's finest uptempos, and a great first impression of one of the best pop albums ever recorded.

Ah, "The Fear" is awesome! Lily has released quite a few singles I love - "Smile," "F**k You," "22," "Hard Out Here" - but "The Fear" just might be the best single of her career.

"These Words" isn't bad at all, and once upon a time I really adored it, but it just hasn't aged that well for me.
And the category is: LIVE. WORK. POSE!
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts