JakeP Top 100 UK #1s of the 00s

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby heppolo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:33 pm

Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:18 pm

heppolo wrote:Interesting medium article:
Was Timbaland’s Skillful Sampling a Cultural Crime?
What's your verdict? :lol:

I think by stepping outside the box and sampling music that the mainstream weren't particularly familiar with meant Timbaland was able to take those very samples and introduce elements of that music to a whole new audience.

Then again, its still plagiarism. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:55 pm

02. Kylie Minogue - Can't get you out of my head
Year > 2001
Ranking > 1/9

Finishing in second place its the incredible pop anthem that is Can't get you out of my head. As i've mentioned in the past, my introduction to Kylie came in 2000 when Spinning around (#65 in this countdown) topped the UK charts. My new found love for Kylie developed from there as i started to discover more of her earlier music videos that were shown on various music channels at the time. I quickly realised what a spectacular back catalogue of hit singles Kylie had.

However, Kylie upped the ante in 2001 when it came to introducing the Fever album campaign. I remember when Kylie premiered Can't get you out of my head on CD:UK and i was mesmerised by everything. The song itself is so simplistic but this is what makes the song all the more endearing to me. A refrain of "la la la la la la la la" that is the ultimate earworm, once heard and you'll be humming that melody for hours afterwards. That's the power of pop music at its finest.

The music video is equally beautiful with its futuristic outlook. Kylie looking stunningly gorgeous as her sex appeal melts in front of the camera especially in those close ups. You can almost feel her lips on your skin. :P Just look at that YouTube thumbnail - the glossiness of it all. :lol: Co-incidentally back in the summer we had Thriller's Kylie Minogue Top 40 and his #2 on that countdown was also Can't get you out of my head. I think the majority of people would agree that, out of all of Kylie's hit singles over the last 30 years, this ranks highly amongst her ultimate best.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:56 am

After seeing "Toxic" at #3, I paid closer attention to the songs and their ranking within their respective year of release and deduced that the Top 2 would be "Can't Get You Out of My Head," and...
Spoiler:
a song that would make me put my paws up.

I thought "Can't Get You Out of My Head" was poor the first time I heard it, but it's an immense grower. I'm not entirely sure it makes my Top 10 Kylie songs today, but it's definitely her biggest classic.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:38 am

YES GIRL!!!! The good sis pulled through!!!!!

Spoiler:

I'm sure I don't have to explain my excitement for this! However for me CGYOOMH is most likely around #8 or 9 in my Top10 Kylie songs and doesn't have anything on some of her classics such as PYIMP.

Amazing Top 3 so far! Excited to see what #1 will be.
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:26 am

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:Interesting medium article:
Was Timbaland’s Skillful Sampling a Cultural Crime?
What's your verdict? :lol:

I think by stepping outside the box and sampling music that the mainstream weren't particularly familiar with meant Timbaland was able to take those very samples and introduce elements of that music to a whole new audience.

Then again, its still plagiarism. :wink:
The problem with Timbaland is sampling without giving original the credit. He wanted all the royalties :lol:
heppolo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:28 am

CGYOMH is classic. 8-)
I am sad because there's a 99% chance some american act beat her to the top. :cry:
P.S. I could have still be hoping that #1 is Modjo's "Lady", an earworm and a French UK number one which is obviously always better than an american one (if you decided not to reveal placements for a particular year) :lol:
Last edited by heppolo on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:49 am

JakeP wrote:LOL refreshing the screen every couple of minutes to see if she had climbed 1 place. :lol: :P

Oh i really wouldn't know, i've never really followed the US charts in great detail. I just know that they had some hideous #1s in the 00s thanks to all the urban radio stations playing those songs en masse. :x No surprise about Australia though, P!nk is their pop icon probably more highly regarded than the likes of Beyonce and Rihanna.

I love how daring Jake Shear is, and how he has the confidence to pull it off. All the lovers <3 Such a gorgeous song, i would love for Kylie to have a big comeback with another gem like this.

It's the two biggest extremes between the UK and europe; swearing and nudity. I just know that if i were to watch a tv show full of naked people and my parents walked in on me before i had chance to change the channel, i would be super embarrassed. It's always preferred to watch tv in my bedroom as that way they would never know what i was watching. :wink:

Ahh i think in the UK our radio stations expressed very little interest in Nelly Furtado during her second album campaign so that must've had some negative impact on her chart success. She sure turned things around though with Maneater. I think the UK would've been mad to ignore this song whilst it became such a massive hit all over the world. Thankfully it was successful and richly deserved.

Ohh so you prefer TLC's track? :D I do like that song though, although i loved No scrubs. :lol: But Beautiful will always be a classic song to me.

LOL what do you mean this thread? Don't you mean any thread i've created? :lol:

Fix you <3 Now that is my absolute favourite Coldplay single. It's one of those songs that really impacts me emotionally, its such a beautiful song. Aww, there's nothing weird about Every teardrop is a waterfall. I loved that song too but then coming from me that's a tad predictable. :P

Will Young <3 One of the best newcomers of the 00s and i'm so happy he got the opportunity to release Friday's child because that album really made people sit up and start paying more attention.
Obviously! :lol: :lol:

Oh, absolutely. Pink is just absolutely massive in Australia. Probably the biggest (female) popstar over there.

I know right. I would look like the biggest fool if I ever wore the clothes he wears, but he wears is with so much confidence and charm. All The Lovers >> entire careers.

Ah, bless! It always made me slightly uncomfortable as well. Especially when there was any sex involved, that is just way too much to watch with your parents besides you.

Maneater really was the right song at the right place for her. I think her second album campaign struggled in more markets and was only doing well in mainland Europe? Like I said, she was big over here. Especially Powerless and Forca did very well on the charts, which helped to album shift copies.

Yes!! No Scrubs and Unpretty are just equal for me, two completely different songs but I love them just as much. Would rank very highly in my best of the 90's list.

True :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fix You is indeed a truly stunning song.

Ah, three pop queens with two AMAZING songs and one which I love, but at the same time think is slightly overrated.
Let's start with the good. Hung Up was just the most perfect song for Madonna to release in 2005. Everything worked- the song, the sample, the video, the artwork. I really want her to come back as strong and hard as she did back then. Hung Up always reminds me of some good times, like this year during Pride. Where this was played and everyone was going mental, in the sun, having a blast. Good times!
Toxic has become one of her signature songs and rightly so. It was quite different compared to everything she had done before and still sounds as fresh as it did in 2004. And ofcourse the video with four iconic looks <3

CCYOOMH- I know we have talked about it before. I love Kylie and yes, I do like the song, but at the same time it's so overrated for me. Wouldn't even rank in my Kylie top 10. The video is amazing though and this song was definitely very imporant for her and her career so still yaay! :D
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:37 pm

JSparksFan wrote:After seeing "Toxic" at #3, I paid closer attention to the songs and their ranking within their respective year of release and deduced that the Top 2 would be "Can't Get You Out of My Head," and...
Spoiler:
a song that would make me put my paws up.

I thought "Can't Get You Out of My Head" was poor the first time I heard it, but it's an immense grower. I'm not entirely sure it makes my Top 10 Kylie songs today, but it's definitely her biggest classic.
LOL i wonder how this would've panned out predictions wise had i not included the year and total entries for each year? :lol:

Well Kylie was a guarantee considering the cd cover was part of the banner. :P

I adore Can't get you out of my head, ever since i first heard the song it was such an instant love for the song. <3
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:39 pm

SummerPeur wrote:YES GIRL!!!! The good sis pulled through!!!!!

Spoiler:

I'm sure I don't have to explain my excitement for this! However for me CGYOOMH is most likely around #8 or 9 in my Top10 Kylie songs and doesn't have anything on some of her classics such as PYIMP.

Amazing Top 3 so far! Excited to see what #1 will be.
Ahh i knew you would be delighted with this, considering your avatar is Kylie. :D Was there ever any doubt? :P

I can't express how much love this song, it takes me back to my youth and is a modern classic song that i'm sure with continue to get airplay for years to come.

I shall reveal my #1 shortly. Prepare yourself for the inevitable... :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:42 pm

heppolo wrote:The problem with Timbaland is sampling without giving original the credit. He wanted all the royalties :lol:
Ahh i got that from reading the article. That's incredibly poor taste to steal other peoples music and pass it off as his own.

That quote from Jay Z about Timbaland not having association with sampling made me sigh. After all, Jay Z was sampling other people's music back in the 90s.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:46 pm

heppolo wrote:CGYOMH is classic. 8-)
I am sad because there's a 99% chance some american act beat her to the top. :cry:
P.S. I could have still be hoping that #1 is Modjo's "Lady", an earworm and a French UK number one which is obviously always better than an american one (if you decided not to reveal placements for a particular year) :lol:
Hmm i can't remember if it was in this thread or elsewhere where i stated that i wasn't a big fan of that french house music that dominated the early 00s. I was never that big of fan of Lady, just like i wasn't really interested in Groovejet or even Music sounds better with you (ok, it wasn't a #1) but that was hailed as the greatest thing to happen to music at the time and i just didn't understand the hype. :oops: As for Daft Punk, they won me over with the animated music video for One more time which kept me more interested even though its not a patch on Get lucky even though that song was from 2013.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:46 pm

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:The problem with Timbaland is sampling without giving original the credit. He wanted all the royalties :lol:
Ahh i got that from reading the article. That's incredibly poor taste to steal other peoples music and pass it off as his own.

That quote from Jay Z about Timbaland not having association with sampling made me sigh. After all, Jay Z was sampling other people's music back in the 90s.
There's no business like showbusiness.
As the old USSR saying went. "don't try to investigate what sausages are made of".
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:06 pm

Fan wrote:Oh, absolutely. Pink is just absolutely massive in Australia. Probably the biggest (female) popstar over there.

I know right. I would look like the biggest fool if I ever wore the clothes he wears, but he wears is with so much confidence and charm. All The Lovers >> entire careers.

Maneater really was the right song at the right place for her. I think her second album campaign struggled in more markets and was only doing well in mainland Europe? Like I said, she was big over here. Especially Powerless and Forca did very well on the charts, which helped to album shift copies.

Yes!! No Scrubs and Unpretty are just equal for me, two completely different songs but I love them just as much. Would rank very highly in my best of the 90's list.

Ah, three pop queens with two AMAZING songs and one which I love, but at the same time think is slightly overrated.
Let's start with the good. Hung Up was just the most perfect song for Madonna to release in 2005. Everything worked- the song, the sample, the video, the artwork. I really want her to come back as strong and hard as she did back then. Hung Up always reminds me of some good times, like this year during Pride. Where this was played and everyone was going mental, in the sun, having a blast. Good times!
Toxic has become one of her signature songs and rightly so. It was quite different compared to everything she had done before and still sounds as fresh as it did in 2004. And ofcourse the video with four iconic looks <3

CCYOOMH- I know we have talked about it before. I love Kylie and yes, I do like the song, but at the same time it's so overrated for me. Wouldn't even rank in my Kylie top 10. The video is amazing though and this song was definitely very imporant for her and her career so still yaay! :D
P!nk sure is. It's astonishing just how popular she is in Australia. You think she was from Australia considering the hype she gets there. Even in America i don't think P!nk is half as popular. But what i love about P!nk is how she has survived in the music industry and calved out a successful career with so much longevity. Definitely something to be admired.

LOL so i take it All the lovers is your all time favourite Kylie song? :wink: It's easily in my top 5 Kylie songs for sure.

Nelly Furtado was on fire, and maybe she did just happen to benefit from "right time, right place" exposure. I do think having Timbaland on board gave Nelly a big boost as well as, despite the article above the heppolo posted, Timbaland was quite comfortably the producer of choice especially around 2006. I guess with Loose everything fell into place perfectly.

I don't know that many songs by TLC to be honest, just those that receive a lot of airplay like Waterfalls but i do remember their big hits from 1999. I hold strong memories of No scrubs because it was one of those songs all my friends at school really liked. I'm sure we used to sing the song and make up our own lyrics as well. :lol:

Well, my chart was always going to feature the queens. :lol: :P :wink: Hung up felt like one of those rare pop moments that united people. Not everyone loves the song but i do think the majority of people enjoy the song very much. :D Ohh yes, wouldn't it be amazing if Madonna returned in 2018 with some big ballsy dance anthems like this. :D

I totally agree re; Toxic. Just like i put in my commentary, it was just a pure unashamedly pop moment of solid gold. There isn't anything i can fault about the song, the video, the overall package.

Aww, i think people say Can't get you out of my head is overrated purely because it was so successful. Had the song had similar success to that of Spinning around (i.e. #1 but didn't spend a long time in the chart) it might be more fondly remember. For me though, its a song that totally deserved all its success. Of course whose to say that Kylie can't better this song with a future single? I don't think people would've expected almighty hits like Madonna's Hung up and Cher's Believe to become worldwide smashes up until say a year before those songs were released. I know Spotify doesn't really help break anything unless its rappers from American, but i'm still hopeful that eventually something will buck the trend.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:11 pm

heppolo wrote:There's no business like showbusiness.
As the old USSR saying went. "don't try to investigate what sausages are made of".
That's very true. :lol:

Funny you mention quote. I once watched a tv show where they made sausages and i was starring wide eyed at the screen when i saw what was going through the blender. :o Then it showed the presenter afterwards trying a piece and saying to camera "it tastes like sausage". It put me off eating sausages for a long time. I eat them very rarely these days.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:14 pm

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:CGYOMH is classic. 8-)
Hmm i can't remember if it was in this thread or elsewhere where i stated that i wasn't a big fan of that french house music that dominated the early 00s. I was never that big of fan of Lady, just like i wasn't really interested in Groovejet or even Music sounds better with you (ok, it wasn't a #1) but that was hailed as the greatest thing to happen to music at the time and i just didn't understand the hype. :oops: As for Daft Punk, they won me over with the animated music video for One more time which kept me more interested even though its not a patch on Get lucky even though that song was from 2013.
I started to like Lady only because of nostalgia. It is occassionally played in the shops and on the radio and it takes me back to those days.
Back in the day it was so overplayed, I hated it.

So, there are few #1s that would have made my own cut of UK #1s of the 00s
1. Manic Street Preachers - The Masses Against The Classes - I tried to find another case of when a song like this got to the #1, without any marketing campaigns and not being featured in any ads or movie soundtracks. Not a classic in a million years, it's even far from being the most famous song in the MSP catalogue, with the Cuban flag (without the star) on the sleeve. Weird!
2. Razorlight - America. In the morning would have been a much better #1, yet this song kinda sums up my attitude towards U.S. showbiz in a way.
3. Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of. Even though it was a campaign, metal music as a genre didn't get too many UK #1s back in the day (in fact, there is only one #1 single from Iron Maiden and that's all from such a big genre as metal)
4. Sonique - It Feels So Good. For a brief period of summer-autumn 2000, she was one of the most interesting british female singers, with a combination of powerful vocals and house/ dance music
5. Orson - No Tomorrow. In a way to get the #1 single with less than 20k sold is an achievement in itself.
6. Tomcraft - Loneliness. Despite sampling and other typical issues, it was such a classy tune, I was amazed to see it hit UK#1 spot, because I was following this song since it's initial release in Germany.
7. My Chemical Romance - Welcome To The Black Parade. I was astonished that an emo band made it to #1 in the end. Of course, they incorporated Queen-like song structure to do so and yes, there were better emo bands (like Funeral For A Friend). but still it was an exciting record all around.
8. Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby. People are still singing this one from the stands during the football matches in the UK.
9. James Blunt - You're Beautiful. This one is a bit annoying, but I have to give a nod to James Blunt in general because he has a lot of fine songs.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:53 pm

01. Flo Rida featuring Ke$ha - Right round
Year > 2009
Ranking > 1/12

GASP! :o

My absolute favourite #1 of the 00s is not the song you were all expecting. :P As much as i love Bad romance, it was released towards the end of 2009 and had most of its chart success in 2010.
OH, WHO AM I KIDDING?!!!!

01. Lady Gaga - Bad romance
Year > 2009
Ranking > 1/12

Of course it is Bad romance. :P If ever there was a song i totally stanned for upon its release, it was this song. Lady Gaga was always an artist who didn't conform to the normalities of the charts and releasing new music. Even in 2009, most acts relied on the tried and tested formulae of releasing a new single firstly to radio, secondly to music channels and then thirdly releasing the single to purchase. Lady Gaga made herself the exception to the rule.

Bad romance was one of the first major examples of on air/on sale, releasing a new single to iTunes and radio simultaneously. The song had a steady ascent up the UK charts and then the fabulous music video was released to further boost the song up the charts. It all culminated with a live performance on The x factor, and with radio and video airplay peaking, it was the perfect opportunity for Lady Gaga to promote the single, and she reaped her rewards when Bad romance finally hit the top spot. To say i was ecstatic is an understatement. :lol:

Even here on UK Mix, it was a bonafide smash in the UKmixPARADE. This many people can't be wrong? :D

CZB wrote:6th December 2009

01 01 08 BAD ROMANCE - LADY GAGA ( abdeeaikawa 1 / abemr89655 4 / adg 5 / Banzai 5 / bee4ever 4 / chillin 3 / chris975 4 / cristy 5 / Falsetto 2 / FreakyFlyBry 4 / GoodBoyGoneBad 5 / Grybop 1 / irishguy28 4 / Jack 4 / JackDaniels666 3 / jlo17 4 / jordi_89 5 / JordinFan 2 / LoveCB 2 / Madnestef 3 / martinp 1 / mostfierce2009 3 / mykka 5 / NothingFails 5 / nyla 2 / Plym 3 / SholasBoy 1 / silviu 5 / Star 2 / Thriller 5 / VanityEgo 5 / wiczynp1 5 / www 4 )
For the record, i like Right round, just not enough to earn a spot inside my top 100.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed towards this thread. I'm surprised i actually managed to achieve this. I had feared along the way that there would come one evening when i wouldn't be able to post on here, or something would go horribly wrong thus knocking everything out of sync. So for that reason alone, i'm damn chuffed with myself that this worked out pretty much how i'd envisioned 100 days ago. :lol:

That just leaves me to say HAPPY NEW YEAR 2018 to everyone on UK Mix. I hope 2018 will be a truly amazing year for all of us. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:05 pm

''Bad Romance'' is Gaga at her peak, but it kinda lacked the whackiness and cerain low-key elemets of ''Poker Face'' and ''Paparazzi'' and the madness of ''Telephone''
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:06 pm

heppolo wrote:I started to like Lady only because of nostalgia. It is occassionally played in the shops and on the radio and it takes me back to those days.
Back in the day it was so overplayed, I hated it.

So, there are few #1s that would have made my own cut of UK #1s of the 00s
1. Manic Street Preachers - The Masses Against The Classes - I tried to find another case of when a song like this got to the #1, without any marketing campaigns and not being featured in any ads or movie soundtracks. Not a classic in a million years, it's even far from being the most famous song in the MSP catalogue, with the Cuban flag (without the star) on the sleeve. Weird!
2. Razorlight - America. In the morning would have been a much better #1, yet this song kinda sums up my attitude towards U.S. showbiz in a way.
3. Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of. Even though it was a campaign, metal music as a genre didn't get too many UK #1s back in the day (in fact, there is only one #1 single from Iron Maiden and that's all from such a big genre as metal)
4. Sonique - It Feels So Good. For a brief period of summer-autumn 2000, she was one of the most interesting british female singers, with a combination of powerful vocals and house/ dance music
5. Orson - No Tomorrow. In a way to get the #1 single with less than 20k sold is an achievement in itself.
6. Tomcraft - Loneliness. Despite sampling and other typical issues, it was such a classy tune, I was amazed to see it hit UK#1 spot, because I was following this song since it's initial release in Germany.
7. My Chemical Romance - Welcome To The Black Parade. I was astonished that an emo band made it to #1 in the end. Of course, they incorporated Queen-like song structure to do so and yes, there were better emo bands (like Funeral For A Friend). but still it was an exciting record all around.
8. Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby. People are still singing this one from the stands during the football matches in the UK.
9. James Blunt - You're Beautiful. This one is a bit annoying, but I have to give a nod to James Blunt in general because he has a lot of fine songs.
I've never liked Lady that much. It was overplayed in the UK too especially on the music channels. I still don't get why this song was reaped so much praise.

A top 9? Can't you sneak in a tenth song to make it a complete list? :P :lol:

Ahh yes, the Manic Street Preachers. To be honest i think they must've benefitted from a dry January so probably got to #1 without selling that much to get there. Not saying it was a #1 by default, it got there fair and square but i've never really regarded the song as one of their classics.

As for Razorlight, i did like America but it wasn't a song i loved enough to warrant a place inside my top 100. As you know, i'm much more into my pop even though i do enjoy some indie music. :wink:

Urgh, i actually hated that christmas top 2 in 2009. It should've been Bad romance #1 instead of either of those songs. Still, it was a moral victory for Lady Gaga when she reclaimed the #1 after the whole Joe McElderry vs. Rage Against The Machine hype had completely fizzled out. It did, however, prove just how powerful the internet and iTunes were. A feat like this would be totally impossible to achieve now with Spotify dominating everything.

Hmm i didn't like Sonique's vocals. :oops: I didn't mind It feels so good, and its certainly better than Lady imo but i never loved the song. I thought it was ok but nothing more.

Orson are bonafide one hit wonders. I think these guys were incredibly lucky to get to #1 even if it was on poor sales. I think i read that they hold some UK chart record for lowest sales needed to be #1 in the charts. I don't think it's much of an achievement. It summed up the state of the music "industry" and in retrospect the OCC should've been adding all download sales to the main chart by this point. 2006 was a mess for the UK charts even if it was the best year for diversity.

I couldn't even recall that Tomcraft song when i first started compiling this countdown which was never going to be a good sign. It's another of those ok dance tracks but nothing exceptional imo.

LOL now My Chemical Romance is a strange one. I remember their single I'm not ok (i promise) because it was always getting played on the music channels. It seemed like a much bigger hit than the charts suggest. So i wasn't that shocked when Welcome to the black parade hit the #1 spot, but i preferred other songs more at the time. It's one of the better songs that you've listed here.

Ruby i think we discussed earlier in this thread. I preferred the singles from their debut album. This was alright but i wasn't really that keen on the song.

No, i didn't like You're beautiful. :oops: It was another of those songs that were overplayed beyond overkill. It felt like airplay was trying to force me to like the song, because i seemed to hear it everywhere. His less successful single co-incidentally i find more tolerable, and his best song imo is Bonfire heart.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:09 pm

heppolo wrote:''Bad Romance'' is Gaga at her peak, but it kinda lacked the whackiness and cerain low-key elemets of ''Poker Face'' and ''Paparazzi'' and the madness of ''Telephone''
Bad romance is everything i love about pop music. Granted, i could apply that to my top 5 singles if not more. But here, i thought Lady Gaga brought pop dynamite with this song. It blew everything else out of the water in late 2009, and i'm sure had i done my chart back then it might've even got to 10+ weeks at #1 until early 2010, that's how much i loved this song and i'm usually quite ho-hum about having long running #1 singles. :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:00 pm

"Bad Romance" is wild, vulnerable, brave, eccentric, soaring - essentially it's a masterpiece of epic proportions. It's better than "Toxic," and that says everything that needs to be said. Because it came so late in 2009, I sometimes class it as a 2010 song, but if I did this same countdown, "Bad Romance" would have been my #1, too.

Excellent job with the countdown, Jake! The 00s were such a great period for music, and the UK general public sent some stunners to #1. You captured most of the very best with this list. Kudos! 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:40 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Bad Romance" is wild, vulnerable, brave, eccentric, soaring - essentially it's a masterpiece of epic proportions. It's better than "Toxic," and that says everything that needs to be said. Because it came so late in 2009, I sometimes class it as a 2010 song, but if I did this same countdown, "Bad Romance" would have been my #1, too.

Excellent job with the countdown, Jake! The 00s were such a great period for music, and the UK general public sent some stunners to #1. You captured most of the very best with this list. Kudos! 8-)
Aww, thanks Akini. <3

I needed a red herring to try and give an initial shock "whoa, didn't think that would be #1" impression. It was very much improvised and added at the last moment. :P

Your description of Bad romance is the perfect summary. It is everything i long for in the perfect pop song, and that's why i always get a little excited when an artist releases a song that has all the hallmarks of the perfect pop song.

If UK Mix is still going strong in 2020 (it's only two years away, it'll be here before we know it :lol: ), i will compile a countdown of my top 100 UK #1s of the 10s. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:18 pm

JakeP wrote:P!nk sure is. It's astonishing just how popular she is in Australia. You think she was from Australia considering the hype she gets there. Even in America i don't think P!nk is half as popular. But what i love about P!nk is how she has survived in the music industry and calved out a successful career with so much longevity. Definitely something to be admired.

LOL so i take it All the lovers is your all time favourite Kylie song? :wink: It's easily in my top 5 Kylie songs for sure.

Nelly Furtado was on fire, and maybe she did just happen to benefit from "right time, right place" exposure. I do think having Timbaland on board gave Nelly a big boost as well as, despite the article above the heppolo posted, Timbaland was quite comfortably the producer of choice especially around 2006. I guess with Loose everything fell into place perfectly.

I don't know that many songs by TLC to be honest, just those that receive a lot of airplay like Waterfalls but i do remember their big hits from 1999. I hold strong memories of No scrubs because it was one of those songs all my friends at school really liked. I'm sure we used to sing the song and make up our own lyrics as well. :lol:

Well, my chart was always going to feature the queens. :lol: :P :wink: Hung up felt like one of those rare pop moments that united people. Not everyone loves the song but i do think the majority of people enjoy the song very much. :D Ohh yes, wouldn't it be amazing if Madonna returned in 2018 with some big ballsy dance anthems like this. :D

I totally agree re; Toxic. Just like i put in my commentary, it was just a pure unashamedly pop moment of solid gold. There isn't anything i can fault about the song, the video, the overall package.

Aww, i think people say Can't get you out of my head is overrated purely because it was so successful. Had the song had similar success to that of Spinning around (i.e. #1 but didn't spend a long time in the chart) it might be more fondly remember. For me though, its a song that totally deserved all its success. Of course whose to say that Kylie can't better this song with a future single? I don't think people would've expected almighty hits like Madonna's Hung up and Cher's Believe to become worldwide smashes up until say a year before those songs were released. I know Spotify doesn't really help break anything unless its rappers from American, but i'm still hopeful that eventually something will buck the trend.
First of all, I want to wish you a very happy new year!!

That is most definitely true about Pink, she has been such a consistent hit-maker. I have a lot of respect for that, who would have thought when she released There You Go? :lol: She also seems like such a down-to-earth person and I love her additude. Besides that, she really is a fantastic singer and has some amazing performance skills. Did you see her AMA performance of Beautiful Trauma? Woman is crazy :lol:

It is!! With Slow being a close second. All The Lovers has such an euphoric beat, the production is amazing and it's such a well structured pop song. Miss Minogue deliverd <3 And I adoore the video.

Timbaland was smashing it around that time and it was indeed perfect for her to work with him. Don't know how well her second album did in the US, but I can imagine it didn't shift a lot of copies either. So Loose was the perfect comeback for her. Sad she never really found any success afterwards though!

Ah, bless! No Scrubs was definitely loved. Such a cool video as well.

He, he. It does feature all the good queens though <3 I mean, Madonna, Britney, Kylie and Lady GaGa. You cannot go wrong with that (and it does sound like a typical playlist for a night out on Canal Street :lol: :lol: ). It did! There was quite a lot of critism about her look in the video, which I always hated, she looked amazing! And could certainly pull it off.
I really, really want Madonna to do that in 2018. Just a massive pop smash. Please, queen. We know you can deliver!

Yeah, we already talked about that before and I totally agree! Kylie needs her Hung Up/Believe!! Am so excited for her comeback.
And don't get me wrong, I love CCYOOMH. I do, it's a great pop song and I still enjoy listenin to it. It's just for me that she has had so many better songs.

Right Round :lol: :lol: I was like 'whaaaa'.
But Bad Romance. YAAY man. PERFECT song to conclude your countdown with. Where do I even start? I could write a whole essay about my love for that song. For me, it actually felt like the last time a song made such an impact on me. Everything came together. The song is brilliant, epic, amazing, fantastic- I could go on. It is still such a tune and gets me everything. I remember it premiered during Alexander McQueen's latest fashion show, watching the live stream and I was immediately in love. Both with the song and collection and then she made me love it even harder with the video. Which is probably the best music video of the last 10 years. WOW! The scenes, the outfits (those insane McQueen shoes <3), the settings, the drama- I was, and still am, obsessed. I always remember that epic X Factor performance you described. So yes, it almost turned into an essay already. To cut short: pop classic.

So, overall a fantastic countdown! Not only that, always loved getting to know you.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:15 pm

Fan wrote:First of all, I want to wish you a very happy new year!!

That is most definitely true about Pink, she has been such a consistent hit-maker. I have a lot of respect for that, who would have thought when she released There You Go? :lol: She also seems like such a down-to-earth person and I love her additude. Besides that, she really is a fantastic singer and has some amazing performance skills. Did you see her AMA performance of Beautiful Trauma? Woman is crazy :lol:

It is!! With Slow being a close second. All The Lovers has such an euphoric beat, the production is amazing and it's such a well structured pop song. Miss Minogue deliverd <3 And I adoore the video.

Timbaland was smashing it around that time and it was indeed perfect for her to work with him. Don't know how well her second album did in the US, but I can imagine it didn't shift a lot of copies either. So Loose was the perfect comeback for her. Sad she never really found any success afterwards though!

He, he. It does feature all the good queens though <3 I mean, Madonna, Britney, Kylie and Lady GaGa. You cannot go wrong with that (and it does sound like a typical playlist for a night out on Canal Street :lol: :lol: ). It did! There was quite a lot of critism about her look in the video, which I always hated, she looked amazing! And could certainly pull it off.
I really, really want Madonna to do that in 2018. Just a massive pop smash. Please, queen. We know you can deliver!

Yeah, we already talked about that before and I totally agree! Kylie needs her Hung Up/Believe!! Am so excited for her comeback.
And don't get me wrong, I love CCYOOMH. I do, it's a great pop song and I still enjoy listenin to it. It's just for me that she has had so many better songs.

Right Round :lol: :lol: I was like 'whaaaa'.
But Bad Romance. YAAY man. PERFECT song to conclude your countdown with. Where do I even start? I could write a whole essay about my love for that song. For me, it actually felt like the last time a song made such an impact on me. Everything came together. The song is brilliant, epic, amazing, fantastic- I could go on. It is still such a tune and gets me everything. I remember it premiered during Alexander McQueen's latest fashion show, watching the live stream and I was immediately in love. Both with the song and collection and then she made me love it even harder with the video. Which is probably the best music video of the last 10 years. WOW! The scenes, the outfits (those insane McQueen shoes <3), the settings, the drama- I was, and still am, obsessed. I always remember that epic X Factor performance you described. So yes, it almost turned into an essay already. To cut short: pop classic.

So, overall a fantastic countdown! Not only that, always loved getting to know you.
Happy new year to you as well Fan. :D <3

Yes, i watched that performance and was like :o :D !!! P!nk is one of those artists who continues to push boundaries. Who else would've thought of doing a whole performance on the side of a building...without resorting to cgi graphics for effect. It looked so incredibly cool and this is another reason why P!nk is so highly regarded. I also agree 100% about her attitude and personality, she really comes seem like the most awesome woman you could ever wish to meet.

Ohh wow, i've never really liked Slow. I put it down to the production of the song rather than the song itself. It's like when i listen to Hollywood or Love profusion by Madonna, i find that tinny production really off putting and for me, it cheapens the song. :oops: That said, some of those semi naked guys in the Slow music video are...mmm!!! :lol: :P I totally agree about All the lovers, such a shame that couldn't get to #1 in the UK but it had some decent longevity at the time. I love how pure the song is from the song to the stunning visuals of the music video.

It's quite strange why Nelly Furtado seemed to fall out of favour so quickly. She had the world in the palm of her hands between 2006-2007. Maybe deciding to follow up Loose with an all spanish language album hindered her continued success. Perhaps had she gone with another english language album instead of Mi plan, that might've helped keep her career on track success wise.

What do you mean sounds like? That is a typical night out playlist. Only the best juiciest pop songs for Jakey boy. :P :lol: Oh do you mean that pink leotard? :lol: Tbh, i really have little interest in showbiz gossip columns because most of the time journalists write absolute crap either out of sheer jealousy or because they're nothing more than a nasty selfish "see you next Tuesday". :evil: I would be so happy for Madonna to come back hard in 2018 is really own it once again. I mean, when those first tracks from Rebel heart were released i fell in love with Ghosttown instantly. I'm ready to fall in love all over again. :lol:

2018 could be a truly fabulous year if all our pop queens return strong with solid gold pop gems. I know the music industry is so different now to 10-20 years ago but i'm so here for a Kylie comeback of absolute huge proportions. :D

LOL the Right round red herring was literally a last minute joke thrown in for comic timing. :lol: I love how you've described everything about Bad romance. For me, it still even today feels like it was so much more than just another solid pop song. It was like a complete package, filled with so many fantastic goodies. I hadn't thought about the Alexander McQueen fashion show. For me, it's virtually the Vogue of the 00s. :wink: LOL yes, her performance was so kooky yet captivating to watch. Who knew a bathtub could be so iconic? :lol:

Aww, it's been great doing this countdown of definitive 00s classics and for me to also get to know you guys more. But the fun won't stop here, as i've now started my year end countdown. The fun continues over there. :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby SummerPeur » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:03 pm

God I hate bad romance.

The reason is not because so much of the song. But because it was playing in my gym as I was running on the treadmill, when I got a text from my BF at the time dumping me.

So you know, I kinda hate it now as it's associated with me crying while running on that treadmill like a complete mess :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for an amazing countdown!!! Thank-you for also letting me be a apart of it and putting up with my Kylie-skewed comments :D. You did an amazing job! x
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts