Fan x Girlgroups [Sugababes: #07]

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Erotica » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:11 pm

Both songs are great :D
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Fan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:09 pm

003. Spice Up Your Life

Every boy and every girl
Spice up your life
What would a Spice Girls top 10 be without this anthem. Yes, I'm just calling it an anthem and think everyone needs a bit of Spice in their life :lol: After the more serious #4 and #5, this song really shows the fun side of the group. Released as the lead single of Spice World, they couldn't have made a more perfect choice to be honest. It's bold, fun, loud- so basically everything the Spice Girls were about back in the day. I was actually in shock when I just found out this only peaked at #18 in the US, as I always assumed this was a massive #1 hit all over the world.

The video is their best one as well for me. I mean, who doesn't want to live in a city completely controlled by the Spice Girls? I certainly would enjoy that :P
Last edited by Fan on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Hm secretly I hoped it's outside the top 10 but overall I was sure it will be high. The weakest single from their second album in my opinion and definitely not one of my favourites from them
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:40 pm

Spice up your life is such a great party track, to think this song is now 20 years old. :o It was one of those songs that got played a lot over the festive season back in 1997.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 pm

Oh! You really should visit Poland someday! The country has a lot to offer!
And I will take it into consideration to do a Spice Girl's "Diva Countdown" as well ;)

It seems that I have to catch up. I missed so many great singles!

"Say You'll Be There" - I can totally understand why you want to describe the song as "iconic" and tbh, I think that I will use that word a zillion times when I will be hosting a "Mainshow Goes Diva: Britney Spears" edition :D - When it comes to the Spice Girls, their career has been quite short but all their singles had an impact on pop culture; that's why "iconic" is a great word to choose!

It was really cute to read that you had a crush on Gerri's look :D :lol: - Personally, I think that "Say You'll Be There" is one of their finest singles. The music video is indeed great (I have always prefered music videos shot in nature/"real settings"). I prefer this video to "Spice Up Your Life" a lot!

"Wannabe" was huge and it's still iconic but I personally think it's slightly overrated. :oops: Don't get me wrong, I like it but I prefer other Spice Girls tracks and singles to it; that's why I am glad it didn't make your Top 5 :D

OMG! I do remember the wolves in "Goodbye"'s music video! - I love the track but I agree, Spice Girls without Geri was not the same but this track is an exception!

"2 Become 1" - What a masterpiece! - I discovered the track when I borrowed the "Best of 97" CD of my mother because I didn't own their first album back then. However, I love the chorus and the deep melody. It makes the song very special! - And I was the same like you as a kid! - I sang along English tracks without knowing a single word in English haha :D

OMG "Spice Up Your Life"!!! - That track is the reason why I started to love the Spice Girls in the first place. It's super trashy, camp but also epic as hell. A pop masterpiece! - I disagree with you on its music video, though. And that's just because of the reason I mentioned: I don't like music videos with a lot of effects and a science-fiction / much edited setting. Btw, that's also why I don't love Britney's "Toxic" video (compared to 99,9% of the rest of Britney fans).

Anyway, EPIC and I-C-O-N-I-C countdown so far! - I hope "Viva Forever" will win this, though!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Fan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:51 pm

Erotica wrote:Hm secretly I hoped it's outside the top 10 but overall I was sure it will be high. The weakest single from their second album in my opinion and definitely not one of my favourites from them
Ah, really? I always assumed everyone loved this song as much as I did :lol: It is so iconic! Glad to read you liked the other two, though.

JakeP wrote:Spice up your life is such a great party track, to think this song is now 20 years old. :o It was one of those songs that got played a lot over the festive season back in 1997.
I know, right!? 20 years on and still a smashhhh though 8-)

Mainshow wrote:Oh! You really should visit Poland someday! The country has a lot to offer!
And I will take it into consideration to do a Spice Girl's "Diva Countdown" as well ;)

It seems that I have to catch up. I missed so many great singles!

"Say You'll Be There" - I can totally understand why you want to describe the song as "iconic" and tbh, I think that I will use that word a zillion times when I will be hosting a "Mainshow Goes Diva: Britney Spears" edition :D - When it comes to the Spice Girls, their career has been quite short but all their singles had an impact on pop culture; that's why "iconic" is a great word to choose!

It was really cute to read that you had a crush on Gerri's look :D :lol: - Personally, I think that "Say You'll Be There" is one of their finest singles. The music video is indeed great (I have always prefered music videos shot in nature/"real settings"). I prefer this video to "Spice Up Your Life" a lot!

"Wannabe" was huge and it's still iconic but I personally think it's slightly overrated. :oops: Don't get me wrong, I like it but I prefer other Spice Girls tracks and singles to it; that's why I am glad it didn't make your Top 5 :D

OMG! I do remember the wolves in "Goodbye"'s music video! - I love the track but I agree, Spice Girls without Geri was not the same but this track is an exception!

"2 Become 1" - What a masterpiece! - I discovered the track when I borrowed the "Best of 97" CD of my mother because I didn't own their first album back then. However, I love the chorus and the deep melody. It makes the song very special! - And I was the same like you as a kid! - I sang along English tracks without knowing a single word in English haha :D

OMG "Spice Up Your Life"!!! - That track is the reason why I started to love the Spice Girls in the first place. It's super trashy, camp but also epic as hell. A pop masterpiece! - I disagree with you on its music video, though. And that's just because of the reason I mentioned: I don't like music videos with a lot of effects and a science-fiction / much edited setting. Btw, that's also why I don't love Britney's "Toxic" video (compared to 99,9% of the rest of Britney fans).

Anyway, EPIC and I-C-O-N-I-C countdown so far! - I hope "Viva Forever" will win this, though!
I will!!
And thanks for the big catch up <3

He, he. I am looking forward to see your Britney countdown. #justiceforeverytimethough.

Like you said, their career has been incredibly short, but they did make such an impact in those two years that we are still talking about them 20 years later :) Wannabe is indeed slightly overrated. I mean, I love it. And I will be the first one of the dancefloor whenever it is played, but they do have better songs.

Good to see you loving Goodbye, stunning track, and even better to see you stanning for Geri ofcourse. Queen of Pop <3

Spice Up Your Life is the definition of camp :lol: And I couldn't love it anymore if I tried, to be honest. But you don't like the video? :o I am surprised, because like I mentioned, for me it's easily their best. And I am also one of the Britney fans that adores the Toxic video. I just love these big, science-fiction videos. So let's agree to disagree on that one.
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:43 pm

002. Stop

You just walk in, I make you smile
It's cool, but you don't even know me
Stop is to date the only Spice Girls single that missed the #1 position in the UK (or, it was, until Headlines happened- but let's just forget about that :lol: ) and that still makes me a bit sad. Because to me, this has to be one of their best singles. In fact, since it ended in my countdown at #2, there is only one single I prefer. But back to Stop, this song screams Spice Girls. It's fun and funky, cheeky, poppy and very very camp. I mean, what's not to love about that combination?

Stop also has to have their most iconic dance routine, a routine I think everyone on here remembers and has tried to do at least once. I certainly have :lol: So yeah, I have a lot of love for Stop. But there is just one song that I prefer. And that is...
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:56 pm

001. Viva Forever

The touch of your skin, giving life from within
Like a love song that I'd heard
...Viva Forver, ofcourse!! Not only a career highlight of the Spice Girls, but in fact one of my favourite song of all time. Viva Forever, to me, is the definition of a magical song, it has just something special and can still make me emotional- even after all those years. It already starts with the Spanish-guitar sounding intro and goes on all throughout the song. It is just a very moving song, and as much as I love their big and campy song, I do think the girls created some magic with their ballads. This has be their most critically acclaimed song and to me it shows that you don't have to belt (or scream) to record a powerful ballad that will touch people.
The video is for some reason very touching to me as well. It all felt a bit bittersweet, just like the song and fitted perfectly with the timing as well as Geri officially left the group during the release of this song.

Making the top 5 was in fact very hard, but which song was going to end up as my #1 was always going to be very clear. Long life their legacy and Viva Forever <3
Fan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:52 pm

So glad Stop is so high, one of my favourites <3 or even my favourite song from them

Viva forever is so great too

maybe missed Mama in the countdown
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:09 pm

YES Fan. :D

Viva forever will forever be my favourite Spice Girls song. I bought it on cd single and it came with those old cd-rom videos so you could play the music video on a computer. :lol:

This followed Goodbye would've the perfect way to conclude the Spice Girls story and i think they would've been more fondly remembered. I've pretty much disregarded the existence of album #3 and Headlines as the magic was lost with these releases.

Stop was a good single too but i think the girls started promoting the song in the UK too early. Iirc they were promoting the song when Spiceworld and Too much were still fresh, and then there was quite a wait before the fans could buy the song on cd single. Still, to only miss out on #1 once between 1996 and 2000 wasn't nothing short of extraordinary.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:35 pm

Erotica wrote:So glad Stop is so high, one of my favourites <3 or even my favourite song from them

Viva forever is so great too

maybe missed Mama in the countdown
Yay!! Good to see you liking my top two :D

I have never liked Mama, to be very honest. I understand it has a beautiful message, and I almost feel like I should like it, but it's just too dull for my liking. By far their worst single.

JakeP wrote:YES Fan. :D

Viva forever will forever be my favourite Spice Girls song. I bought it on cd single and it came with those old cd-rom videos so you could play the music video on a computer. :lol:

This followed Goodbye would've the perfect way to conclude the Spice Girls story and i think they would've been more fondly remembered. I've pretty much disregarded the existence of album #3 and Headlines as the magic was lost with these releases.

Stop was a good single too but i think the girls started promoting the song in the UK too early. Iirc they were promoting the song when Spiceworld and Too much were still fresh, and then there was quite a wait before the fans could buy the song on cd single. Still, to only miss out on #1 once between 1996 and 2000 wasn't nothing short of extraordinary.
Yeahh <33
So glad to see we agree on our favourite Spice Girls song. I actually got the Viva Forever single for my birthday :lol: It was my very first Spice Girls single and I remember it had indeed the video on cd-rom, which was so cool back in the day.

You didn't like Headlines? I can totally see what you mean, Goodbye would have been the perfect song to end their chapter. But for some reason, I did like Headlines as well. It was just so lovely to see them releasing something again. It only just missed my countdown.

It is oustanding! I don't think any music act will ever have so many #1 singles in such a short space of time again. I just wished it wasn't Stop that missed the top spot :lol: Should have been Too Much or something! :P
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:54 pm

Time to move and onto the next girlgroup..

Sugababes!
This shouldn't come as a surprise after Girls Aloud and the Spice Girls. One of the biggest girgroups of the last years with a massive amount of hit singles (and line-up changes), they made their mark on the music industry. I chose a picture of Sugababes 2.0, as that will always be their most remembered era for me, but I can reveal that two other era's also have entries on my countdown (it shouldn't be that hard to guess which era failed to have an entry though :lol: ).

Hope you all put your red dress on and push the button for an overload of pop bangers <3 (yes, I know I am lame).
Fan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:05 pm

For sure Sweet 7 missed the top 10 :(

Great choice! My favourite girlgroup I would say. I still really miss them :/
Erotica
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Erotica wrote:For sure Sweet 7 missed the top 10 :(

Great choice! My favourite girlgroup I would say. I still really miss them :/
:P :P

Ah, nice one!! Curious to see if you would agree with my top 10. I was always more into Girls Aloud, but at the same time a big Sugababes fan and I miss their work as well.
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:05 pm

Looking forward to this one Fan. :D

Sugababes were so successful throughout the 00s and as you know 5 of their UK #1s have made it into my top 100 countdown.

Hole in the head and Round round have already gone. It will be interesting to see where these rank in your chart. That is of course if they make your countdown. :P Sugababes had a couple of great singles that didn't top the charts.

Walk this way for #1 :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:21 pm

JakeP wrote:Looking forward to this one Fan. :D

Sugababes were so successful throughout the 00s and as you know 5 of their UK #1s have made it into my top 100 countdown.

Hole in the head and Round round have already gone. It will be interesting to see where these rank in your chart. That is of course if they make your countdown. :P Sugababes had a couple of great singles that didn't top the charts.

Walk this way for #1 :lol:
There are definitely a few of their #1's that didn't make me countdown :wink:

Hahahaha. Walk This Way wouldn't even make my top 20 :lol: :lol:
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:31 pm

10. Red Dress

And if you don't respect it, I'll kick with my Jimmy Choo's
So, let's start the countdown! At #10 we find the song that introduced Amelle to the world: Red Dress. Originally recorded with Mutya, but re-recorded when she left the band and released as the 'official first Sugababes 3.0' single.

I was quite of the fan Red Dress when I heard Taller In More Ways for the first time and was therefore glad it was released as a single in the end. The song has quite a bit of sas and additude, which suits the 'Babes quite perfectly and it was a nice way to introduce Amelle. Looking back, I do think Sugababes 2.0 worked the best out of all the versions we've had, but at the same time I did have a soft spot for Amelle and I think she did very well.

I also have to mention the b-track of this single, as they did a very cool cover version of the Arctic Monkey's I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor. A very different style for them, but somehow it worked.
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:43 pm

09. Denial

I didn't wanna fall in love with you, I didn't wanna know the things I knew
Just like Red Dress, Denial also was the third single of an album and at the same time- an instant favourite of mine when I got Change. I immediately thought it was such a 'cool' track. It has a pop sound, with a kind of dark and moody twist and that what makes it special for me. It's quite an addictive tune as well as I remember playing it loads when I just got the album. I actually never realised VV Brown co-wrote this song :o Just saw it on Wiki, although it makes sense as I have loved quite a lot of her stuff.

The video was, at least back in the day, a joy for me as it's basically a three minute long fashion editorial. Looking back now, it actually kind of feels cheap and also doesn't suit the song :lol:
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:01 pm

Red dress is an excellent way to start the countdown. I loved this song a lot at the time.

I'd actually forgotten about Denial. :oops: But it is a great track and helped keep the momentum of the album going strong.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Erotica » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Red Dress is a great song, love it, and it was on my favourite album

Denial was the best single from Change, but that was easy :lol:
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:46 pm

So we really have to agree to disagree when it comes to Britney('s "Toxic" music video) but I am glad we kind of agree on the Spice Girls Top 2! It's amazing and both songs are incredible! - "Stop" deserved to be a #1 single in the UK!

But you're number-one is one of the best songs ever when it comes to pop music in general! - I mean, we high-fived in Den Haag when we found out that we share the same favourite but it's really great to know that you appreciate the song the same way as I do! - I agree! The song itself, the whole story about Geri leaving the band, etc, it's bittersweet and so tragic somehow. The song is a great track to mend a heart or two :D

I am so glad you have decided to continue with the Sugababes! Tbh, I don't know any album tracks but their singles are amazing! Their greatest hits album is one of the best best-of records available! - And what a great start! "Red Dress" is incredible!

Since you wrote about Mutya leaving the band...can you tell me why she did it? - I can't remember.

"Denial" is a lovely track but "Red Dress" should be higher :D - Btw, it seems you love Sugababes 3.0. - Hope to see some Jade somewhere!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:56 pm

OMG!!!! I Just read that Heidi was part of Atomic Kitten!!!! Oo
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:31 am

Yay at "Spice Up Your Life" ranking so high! It's my favourite Spice Girls song. 8-)
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Fan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:12 pm

JakeP wrote:Red dress is an excellent way to start the countdown. I loved this song a lot at the time.

I'd actually forgotten about Denial. :oops: But it is a great track and helped keep the momentum of the album going strong.
Yay for the Red Dress love!

I already thought a lot of people had forgotten about Denial, it does feel like a forgotten single as more of an album track. I was surprised to read it actually did very well in German-speaking countries! But yes, it's a great track and one of their best in my opinion.

Erotica wrote:Red Dress is a great song, love it, and it was on my favourite album

Denial was the best single from Change, but that was easy :lol:
Change had quite a few good singles, to be honest! I won't say if I would agree with it being the best single though, as I still have eight songs to reveal :lol:

Mainshow wrote:So we really have to agree to disagree when it comes to Britney('s "Toxic" music video) but I am glad we kind of agree on the Spice Girls Top 2! It's amazing and both songs are incredible! - "Stop" deserved to be a #1 single in the UK!

But you're number-one is one of the best songs ever when it comes to pop music in general! - I mean, we high-fived in Den Haag when we found out that we share the same favourite but it's really great to know that you appreciate the song the same way as I do! - I agree! The song itself, the whole story about Geri leaving the band, etc, it's bittersweet and so tragic somehow. The song is a great track to mend a heart or two :D

I am so glad you have decided to continue with the Sugababes! Tbh, I don't know any album tracks but their singles are amazing! Their greatest hits album is one of the best best-of records available! - And what a great start! "Red Dress" is incredible!

Since you wrote about Mutya leaving the band...can you tell me why she did it? - I can't remember.

"Denial" is a lovely track but "Red Dress" should be higher :D - Btw, it seems you love Sugababes 3.0. - Hope to see some Jade somewhere!
We are never going to agree on Britney stuff it seems :oops: Atleast we both agree that Britney is a legend <3 And Everytime is the best thing she has ever done and will ever do.

Viva Forever is just pure bliss *digital high-five*. It's such a beautiful song and like you said, it's a bittersweet one and they delivered it soo well.

They do have an amazing back catalogue indeed, and The Singles Collection is such a good body of work. Surprised to read you haven't heard any of their album track, as they have released some truly stunning songs. You have to check out Every Heart Broken and Can We Call A Truce- both would have easily made my top 10 if released as single. I think Every Heart Broken would even have been #1. Never Gonna Dance Again is another good one, seemed like a lot of fans wanted it released as single.

Mutya apparently left the band over personal reasons, after giving birth to her daughter. But not sure if I truly believe that, as there always seemed to best a lot of tension in the group. Did you ever hear the story about Keisha and Heidi having a bit fight over Britney's Toxic? :lol: :lol:

Like I already said, there is one Sugababes era missing :P :P

Mainshow wrote:OMG!!!! I Just read that Heidi was part of Atomic Kitten!!!! Oo
She was indeed, before they got their big break. Strange to think, not?

JSparksFan wrote:Yay at "Spice Up Your Life" ranking so high! It's my favourite Spice Girls song. 8-)
Yaay!! You also like the video? <3
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:38 pm

08. Stronger

I had my ups and downs
trials and tribulations
After two fairly recent songs, we go a bit more old school with Stronger. Released as the third single of their second (and first with Heidi) album. Stronger is for me a typical Sugababes 2.0 song, it has a laidback, slightly R&B sound which showcased their vocals pretty perfectly. Looking back, it is actually a rather grown up song, since the girls themselves were still very young when they released this!

I remember this song doing very, very well here in The Netherlands. In fact, it did a lot better than it did in the UK and so for me this feels as one of their most remembered songs. I still hear this every now and then and therefore I think it is one of their most loved songs over here. For me, it's a good one but certainly not their strongest (no pun intended) moment.
Fan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts