Fan x Girlgroups [Sugababes: #03]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:46 pm

07. Shape

I know that the spades are the swords of a soldier
I know that the clubs are weapons of war
Shape was the first Sugababes song I truly loved. I disliked Round Round quite a lot when it was released, Stronger was already better for me but I fell completely in love when they released this track. It's a stunning ballad and especially the chorus sounds so lush <3 It was nice to see going into a bit of a different direction and it paid off for them (it was the song that made me a fan, at least :lol: ).

The video helped a lot for me as well, beautiful concept and I loved the masket ball idea and all the butteflies surrounding them.

Once again, this song did better in The Netherlands than it did in the UK which seems rather funny as in general, they were a lot bigger in the UK than they were over here.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:59 pm

Shape is a lovely song. I didn't realise this was more popular in the Netherlands though. :o Also the music in the track is sampled from a Sting song called Shape of your heart, and Craig David only a few weeks earlier had brought out a single called Rise & fall which also sampled the Sting song, but in his case it was a duet with Sting as well.

So in retrospect Sugababes might've looked like they were copying Craig David. Surely this would've been purely co-incidental though?
JakeP
Manager

Postby Erotica » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:59 pm

Shape is a really nice song

and Stronger is really strong, definitely one of their best songs, it was that album era when I began to love them, it was great
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:36 pm

We do not have to agree on everything but it's always good to digitally high-five you from time to time; so I am glad we seem to have a similar taste when it comes to our favourites of girl groups!

Thanks for introducing a few album tracks by Sugababes to me. I don't know, I really enjoyed their singles but I never bothered to listen to their albums and since you mentioned "Every Heart Broken" (which is kinda of girl-ish and not my cup of tea, sorry; sounds messy, hate the arrangement and its melody)... I had no clue there was an album between their best of and "Sweet 7" Oo - It must have flopped in Germany big time. "Can We Call A Truce" is slightly better but I dislike it as well (now I know why I have no memories when it comes to that album's release). "Never Gonna Dance Again" is brilliant, though. That's single material. Catchy, memorable and fun!

Oh, please let me know that "Toxic" story!

"Stronger" is flawless! I am glad it made your Top 10. Perhaps I would even rank it higher. Like in the Netherlands, the song was huge in Germany. (I hate your pun because the song is indeed very strong :D)

OMG! I forgot "Shape" existed! I love it! - It's fierce and it has a hell of a chorus. When I watched the music video, I had the melody of the chorus in my mind and I had no clue it was a song performed by the Sugababes! It sounds a bit different, almost TLC-esque. What a track!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:07 pm

JakeP wrote:Shape is a lovely song. I didn't realise this was more popular in the Netherlands though. :o Also the music in the track is sampled from a Sting song called Shape of your heart, and Craig David only a few weeks earlier had brought out a single called Rise & fall which also sampled the Sting song, but in his case it was a duet with Sting as well.

So in retrospect Sugababes might've looked like they were copying Craig David. Surely this would've been purely co-incidental though?
Yeah, I know! That Craig David song did very well over here as well :lol: Guess the Dutch just really like Sting, haha. For some reason, I never really got into that particular song- even though I did like Craig- but I think the sample worked perfectly for the Sugababes.

Erotica wrote:Shape is a really nice song

and Stronger is really strong, definitely one of their best songs, it was that album era when I began to love them, it was great
It was definitely the era in which I started to become a fan, even though I did like their first era a lot as well. But more on that later :P

Mainshow wrote:We do not have to agree on everything but it's always good to digitally high-five you from time to time; so I am glad we seem to have a similar taste when it comes to our favourites of girl groups!

Thanks for introducing a few album tracks by Sugababes to me. I don't know, I really enjoyed their singles but I never bothered to listen to their albums and since you mentioned "Every Heart Broken" (which is kinda of girl-ish and not my cup of tea, sorry; sounds messy, hate the arrangement and its melody)... I had no clue there was an album between their best of and "Sweet 7" Oo - It must have flopped in Germany big time. "Can We Call A Truce" is slightly better but I dislike it as well (now I know why I have no memories when it comes to that album's release). "Never Gonna Dance Again" is brilliant, though. That's single material. Catchy, memorable and fun!

Oh, please let me know that "Toxic" story!

"Stronger" is flawless! I am glad it made your Top 10. Perhaps I would even rank it higher. Like in the Netherlands, the song was huge in Germany. (I hate your pun because the song is indeed very strong :D)

OMG! I forgot "Shape" existed! I love it! - It's fierce and it has a hell of a chorus. When I watched the music video, I had the melody of the chorus in my mind and I had no clue it was a song performed by the Sugababes! It sounds a bit different, almost TLC-esque. What a track!
AAH :( Like I said, Every Heart Broken is probably my all time favourite Sugababes song. Shame for you describing it as girl-ish :lol: :lol: They actually released two albums in between the best of and Sweet 7- Change and Catfights & Spotlights. C&S, which features both Every Heart Broken and Call We Call A Truce, is their best one in my opinion. But it bombed pretty badly, even in the UK.

http://popjustice2.proboards.com/thread/6947/keisha-heidi-fought-on-toxic :lol: :lol:
This is basically me and Jeroen when it comes to Call Me Maybe.

I can definitely see the slight TLC comparison! Never actually thought about it before, but makes total sense.
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:16 pm

06. Easy

Hey Mr postman where's the mail for my mailbox?
I wanted sex on the beach and I don't mean on the rocks
Easy is probably their sexiest, and filthiest, song the Sugababes released during their career and at the same time one of their most underrated. I still do not understand why it didn't perform better, as to me, this was such an instant hit! It was one of their last edgy singles, after they became very poppy with About You Now and the less said about Sweet 7 the better :lol:

I love a good metaphorical lyric and they certainly served me right- with lyrics like "I've got a landing strip clear for you at the airport", it wasn't that hard to guess what they were talking about :lol: The video was on point as well, loved their latex outfits and Heidi has never looked better. I remember being obsessed with her red hair.
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:22 pm

05. Run For Cover

Just want to be me
It's my need to be free
When I think of the Sugababes- my first reaction is: Keisha, Mutya and Heidi. With the 2.0, they have achieved the most success and made their mark on the charts and pop history. However, I do have a lot of love for Siobhan in general and I think the original group definitely had something special. They had a certain edge with made them stand out, especially compared to most other girlgroups and pop acts in general.

Run For Cover is a perfect example of that. It's moody, dark and screams London for me. It is one of their best ballads and they harmonies these three girls had together where just simply sublime. It is especially impressive, since the girls were basically teenagers when this was released, but it sounds so mature and grown up. Very impressive, especially looking back!
It is quite sad they were never bigger during their first era, because songs like these should among their most remembered ones.
Fan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:06 pm

Easy is soooooo great. Maybe even my favourite single from them. It deserved so much more, so perfect 8-)

Run for cover is a nice song overall. Somehow I did not hear the song in Germany
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Run for cover is a great track, shame that Sugababes never really connected with the music buying public at the time. I reckon they were perhaps a bit too credible and sophisticated for their time. It's a very classy single.

What a contrast to Easy which sounds so dirty and slutty by comparison. :lol: I did enjoy this song at the time when it was in the charts but i've always preferred their biggest hit singles more in comparison. :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby Spartan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Easy is very underrated for me, as is Denial. I enjoyed the whole Sugababes 3.0 era.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:22 pm

Erotica wrote:Easy is soooooo great. Maybe even my favourite single from them. It deserved so much more, so perfect 8-)

Run for cover is a nice song overall. Somehow I did not hear the song in Germany
Yaay for the Easy love <3
It wasn't a hit in The Netherlands, either! Actually discovered it years later.

JakeP wrote:Run for cover is a great track, shame that Sugababes never really connected with the music buying public at the time. I reckon they were perhaps a bit too credible and sophisticated for their time. It's a very classy single.

What a contrast to Easy which sounds so dirty and slutty by comparison. :lol: I did enjoy this song at the time when it was in the charts but i've always preferred their biggest hit singles more in comparison. :P
It's a real shame. Overload did very well, but the rest of the singles and the album underperformed, As did Flatline when they came back :( I think so, the public didn't buy into the moody and credible sound I think,

Spartan wrote:Easy is very underrated for me, as is Denial. I enjoyed the whole Sugababes 3.0 era.
Sugababes 3.0 did release some brilliant singles indeed. Thanks for checking out the countdown <3
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:33 pm

004. Too Lost In You

'Cause I'm slippin' away
Like the sand to the tide
At #4 we find Too Lost In You, their best ballad in my opinion (singles wise, at least) and just a total lush song. Funnily enough, I think it is Heidi in particular who shines on this song. I love her solo part, even though Keisha and Mutya have much better voices and usually made their clear mark on any Sugababes song.

The song was featured on the soundtrack of one of my favourite movies, Love Actually, and seems like the most perfect fit. Both that movie and this song just remind me of dark winter nights and Christmas and bring a certain kind of nostalgic feelings.

The video was rather boring though and who did the styling? That person should never style any music video ever again :lol: :lol:
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:40 pm

003. Push The Button

I've been dropping so many hints
You're still not getting it
I remember it feeling like a real moment when this was released and as soon as I heard it, I just knew it was going to be a #1 hit. It's probably their most iconic and remember song these days and is just a massive song.

I've already mentioned it before that I don't like it when they got too poppy, I always liked their moodiness and more subtle song, but I do think this was the right amount of pop for them. It is very poppy, but still had a certain edge. The chorus especially is just too damn catchy and I always have to sing whenever I hear this song somewhere.

The single also featured their best b-side, Like The Weather, which is an amazing song you should definitely check out if you have never heard of it.
Fan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Too lost in you is great, a perfect song <3

Push the button is good overall, but don't listen to it much anymore. The b-side was great
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Two classic Sugababes singles back to back. :D

Push the button is amazing, still yet to appear in my countdown. :wink: Too lost in you was a gorgeous track although it got lost amongst the christmas singles in 2003 so didn't really achieve its potential imo.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:08 am

I just sang its praises in Jake's thread, but "Push the Button" is one of the best pop songs ever, in my opinion. Vocally, Sugababes's best would have to be "Follow Me Home," but "Push the Button" is my clear favourite from them.

Fan wrote:Yaay!! You also like the video? <3
I do!
"Love yourself so that love will not be a stranger when it comes, and it will come."

Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2017: [#1 Revealed!]
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts