Fan x Girlgroups [Sugababes: #9]

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Fan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:45 pm

JakeP wrote:I'm intrigued as to which girlgroup is coming next. :P :wink:
Well, here we are again! :D Because the next girlgroup will be....

When I think of a girlgroup, I just think of these five girls. They changed the world in two years and became cultural icons over night. The Spice Girls have achieved so much, in a very short amount of time, and proved that the world really needs some girl power! I am excited to do this countdown as I LOVE their music so much and making a top 10 was incredibly hard! So I hope you guys will be excited as well. And maybe already some predictions before I start?
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:51 pm

The world conquering Spice Girls. :D Looking forward to see how this top 10 pans out. I'm pretty sure i liked all their songs apart from Holler which i only thought was ok.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:52 am

10. Let Love Lead The Way

What makes this world go round
Will the answer let her down
We start the countdown with, I think, their most forgotten single. Released as a double a-side with Holler, Let Love Lead The Way saw the Spice Girls take a slightly different direction.
Geri has always been my absolute favourite, so Spice Girls 2.0 were always going to be less interesting for me, but I do think they delivered with this cute, little song. No it's definitely not up there with their most iconic songs, but I love the gentle sound and kinda corny lyrics. Victoria sounds very good on this as well, one of her most interesting vocal moments for me.
Fan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:55 pm

Hm, maybe nearly the only single I don't like from them
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:19 pm

I'm back from my trip to Poland and it seems I have some catching up to do.

I checked your #2 when I was in Warsaw and I was really deliriously happy about it. "Sound of the Underground" is a true classic and should have been bigger in Europe. After that, I was so sure to see "Something New" on top of your countdown. That's why I am a bit disappointed but it's great to get to know that you apologised to me officially :D haha - No.. #11 is realy great and it was so close to appear on your countdown.

I am listening to "The Loving Kind" for the very first time and I have to say that it's indeed a great, dreamy, catchy and lovely track. The production sounds divine.
- The Power of music! It's always great to have songs connecting to a special time of one's life. It makes memories even more special and of course, this process can have a huge influence on how we regard tracks. It's nice that the song made your trip to the UK that special - Haha, I love that you mentioned my username twice in that text! - #preach and you are right, it made up for it #Kween #Chezza #alltheway

I loved your other list of songs performed by Cheryl, Nicole and that other gurl whose name is not important to remember.
You chose great tracks when compilling your list! - Personally, I think that "Fight For This Love" is epic and I still can't believe how successful it was in our countries while the other two follow-up singles flopped so hard that her label and her team didn't bother to release anything else abroad :( - We stan for the same Nnicola tracks as well!

The Spice Girls belong to the first artist I was genuinely interested in. I can remember how I begged my mother to buy their "Spice World" album when I was like 5 years old. - I stanned hard for them, bringing their album into my kindergarden and dancing to their tracks with fellow toddlers.

Your #10 is a track I have never ever heard about :D - It's not bad at all but like you said, totally forgettable.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:31 pm

Let love lead the way was better than Holler imo but for me, the Spice Girls best songs were from their first two albums.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:21 pm

Erotica wrote:Hm, maybe nearly the only single I don't like from them
I think you will like the rest of the chart a lot more then! :P
It is definitely not one of their stronger moments, but always thought it was kinda cute.

Mainshow wrote:I'm back from my trip to Poland and it seems I have some catching up to do.

I checked your #2 when I was in Warsaw and I was really deliriously happy about it. "Sound of the Underground" is a true classic and should have been bigger in Europe. After that, I was so sure to see "Something New" on top of your countdown. That's why I am a bit disappointed but it's great to get to know that you apologised to me officially :D haha - No.. #11 is realy great and it was so close to appear on your countdown.

I am listening to "The Loving Kind" for the very first time and I have to say that it's indeed a great, dreamy, catchy and lovely track. The production sounds divine.
- The Power of music! It's always great to have songs connecting to a special time of one's life. It makes memories even more special and of course, this process can have a huge influence on how we regard tracks. It's nice that the song made your trip to the UK that special - Haha, I love that you mentioned my username twice in that text! - #preach and you are right, it made up for it #Kween #Chezza #alltheway

I loved your other list of songs performed by Cheryl, Nicole and that other gurl whose name is not important to remember.
You chose great tracks when compilling your list! - Personally, I think that "Fight For This Love" is epic and I still can't believe how successful it was in our countries while the other two follow-up singles flopped so hard that her label and her team didn't bother to release anything else abroad :( - We stan for the same Nnicola tracks as well!

The Spice Girls belong to the first artist I was genuinely interested in. I can remember how I begged my mother to buy their "Spice World" album when I was like 5 years old. - I stanned hard for them, bringing their album into my kindergarden and dancing to their tracks with fellow toddlers.

Your #10 is a track I have never ever heard about :D - It's not bad at all but like you said, totally forgettable.
Hope you had a good time!? :)

Haha, I had to because I knew you were rooting for Something New. But it wasn't even a contender in the end. Don't get me wrong, I like Something New a lot. And was very close to making it, but Wake Me Up just had the edge for me to get the #10.

Great to hear you are liking The Loving Kind on the first listen though. And it really does, so good how some songs can bring back all these memories. The Loving Kind and Alexandra Burke's Hallelujah always bring me back to the London trip :lol: And always make me think that I should visit London very soon again!
I had to, since I made a positive comment about Cheryl. Don't get used to it though!! Jk.

And the shadeeee at your comments about Kim! Kimberley has always been my favourite :(
I know. Fight For This Love is a classic, a song I will always love. Weird indeed how she was a one-hit wonder. I remember she even performed Fight on Dutch X Factor and after that, nothing.
Nicola <33

Same here! I think they were my first music love and was indeed stanning HARD. At some point, I had so much merchandise, I even got a Spice Girls birthday cake :oops:

Interesting you hadn't heard Let Love Lead The Way before! I'm sure you will like the rest a lot more!

JakeP wrote:Let love lead the way was better than Holler imo but for me, the Spice Girls best songs were from their first two albums.
I don't think anyone will disagree with that comment, no :)
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:43 pm

09. Too Much

What part of no don't you understand?
I want a man, not a boy who thinks he can
Yet another ballad, although I think this time it's one that everyone knows (and loves). Too Much was released as the official soundtrack to one of the best movies ever made, which is ofcourse Spice World: The Movie, and became another massive hit for the girls.

While it has never been one of my favourites, it is a beautiful and nostalgic ballad. I was just watching the video back and it made me feel like a 5 or 6 year old boy again, so many memories are attached to this video for me. And how fierce does Victoria look!?
Fan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:44 pm

'Let Love Lead The Way' is underrated. Good to see it in your top 10!
'Too Much' is a classic. I love Mel B's look in the video.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Fan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:49 pm

08. Who Do You Think You Are?

Giving is good as long as you are getting
This may come as a surprise, as I know this is a firm fan favourite, but I have never thought of this as one of their best singles. Yes, I do love it a lot- but they have released so many good songs that it was almost impossible to make a top 10.

Who Do You Think You Are? is just one of those ultimate camp songs and I cannot sit down when I hear it, you just have to get up and sing and dance-a-long. That's what these songs are made for right? Fun, pop and bright- everything you want from the Spice Girls. And ofcourse queen Halliwell gave us the very wise live lesson in this song "giving is good, as long as you are getting". Shakespeare could never!

Describing this song also couldn't be without mentioning THAT performance. Probably the most iconic performance they did, or one of the most iconic performances in pop history, at the Brits '97. Again, queen Halliwell proved she was the star of the group and nobody could forget the union jack dress.
Fan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Too much is a really good song :) as a child not such a big fan of it, but later I enjoyed it much more

also like Wo do you think you are :)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:57 pm

Too much <3 This was around the time when i got more into the charts and started to buy cd singles. :D I know my parents got me both Spice and Spiceworld that christmas. :P

Who do you think you are? is amazing, and also one of the few charity singles that were both excellent and had a really funny music video. It was one of songs that got me up dancing whenever it got played at any family parties. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:59 am

Dziekuje! Thanks! I really had a great time in Poland. The country is criminally underrated when it comes to tourism. It has so many beautiful spots and authentic sights as well as beautifully renovated old cities to offer. And more importantly, it's safe and way cheaper than e.g. Belgium, UK, France or Scandinavia.
It was kind of a very busy time, though, since I visited 3 different cities in 3 days.

Hehe, yeah, "Something New" is a perfect pop track. Its production is amazing and I love the girls' attitude. It's a pity it didn't make the cut.

Oh, if you really love "Hallelujah" that much, you will clearly like JakeP's latest update in his Top 100 #1s songs.

Hehe, Kimberley. Nah, I can't remember her name and tbh, I'm stanning for Nicola and Cheryl only. How are the other two girls calld? Sarah and Nadine or so?
Yeah, Cheryl performed "Fight For This Love" on very huge and successful German TV formats as well. It's a pity her label didn't push her other singles. She was meant to go big.
She might not have the best voice and she might not be the best songwriter of the group, but I think we can't deny that she has the most potential to become a global superstar. I mean, she's got oomph and the "x factor" :D

OMG! A Spice Girls Birthday cake! That's crazy! - I just got a sheets/blankets with an image of the Spice Girls & Britney :D

------

When it comes to your latest update, I really adore "Too Much". I think the song would be higher on a "Mainshow Goes Diva: Spice Girls" countdown. I had no clue it was used as the official soundtrack of that movie which I still haven't seen :D

"Who Do You Think You Are" was before my time since I have no memories when it comes to music before "Spice World". I liked "Coco Jamboo" by Mr President as hell but I don't know if that track was released before, during, or after that album.
Actually, I heard WDYTYA the first time when I was at a party like 6 years ago and I immediately loved it. I was so pissed that I was missing out such a great and iconic bop for so long. I am glad to see it that high ;)
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Fan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:00 pm

Benjamin wrote:'Let Love Lead The Way' is underrated. Good to see it in your top 10!
'Too Much' is a classic. I love Mel B's look in the video.
Agreed! Like I said, it's not up there with their best songs, but is it a very cute song. Glad to see you appreciate it :)

Erotica wrote:Too much is a really good song :) as a child not such a big fan of it, but later I enjoyed it much more

also like Wo do you think you are :)
Same for me actually. Wasn't the biggest Too Much fan as a child, but has grown on me loads these days.

JakeP wrote:Too much <3 This was around the time when i got more into the charts and started to buy cd singles. :D I know my parents got me both Spice and Spiceworld that christmas. :P

Who do you think you are? is amazing, and also one of the few charity singles that were both excellent and had a really funny music video. It was one of songs that got me up dancing whenever it got played at any family parties. :lol:
He, he. That is honestly the most perfect Christmas gift, isn't it?
I always forget it was a charity single, back in the day when people actually made an effort for this :lol: Comic Relief was it, right? Muuuuch better than Walk This Way.

Mainshow wrote:Dziekuje! Thanks! I really had a great time in Poland. The country is criminally underrated when it comes to tourism. It has so many beautiful spots and authentic sights as well as beautifully renovated old cities to offer. And more importantly, it's safe and way cheaper than e.g. Belgium, UK, France or Scandinavia.
It was kind of a very busy time, though, since I visited 3 different cities in 3 days.

Hehe, yeah, "Something New" is a perfect pop track. Its production is amazing and I love the girls' attitude. It's a pity it didn't make the cut.

Oh, if you really love "Hallelujah" that much, you will clearly like JakeP's latest update in his Top 100 #1s songs.

Hehe, Kimberley. Nah, I can't remember her name and tbh, I'm stanning for Nicola and Cheryl only. How are the other two girls calld? Sarah and Nadine or so?
Yeah, Cheryl performed "Fight For This Love" on very huge and successful German TV formats as well. It's a pity her label didn't push her other singles. She was meant to go big.
She might not have the best voice and she might not be the best songwriter of the group, but I think we can't deny that she has the most potential to become a global superstar. I mean, she's got oomph and the "x factor" :D

OMG! A Spice Girls Birthday cake! That's crazy! - I just got a sheets/blankets with an image of the Spice Girls & Britney :D

------

When it comes to your latest update, I really adore "Too Much". I think the song would be higher on a "Mainshow Goes Diva: Spice Girls" countdown. I had no clue it was used as the official soundtrack of that movie which I still haven't seen :D

"Who Do You Think You Are" was before my time since I have no memories when it comes to music before "Spice World". I liked "Coco Jamboo" by Mr President as hell but I don't know if that track was released before, during, or after that album.
Actually, I heard WDYTYA the first time when I was at a party like 6 years ago and I immediately loved it. I was so pissed that I was missing out such a great and iconic bop for so long. I am glad to see it that high ;)
Awh, good to hear!! I have actually never been to Poland before, but sounds like a lovely place to visit. You are busy with traveling these days it seems!

I certainly did :P Hallelujah is just stunning, was released around the same time as The Loving Kind- so both of those songs bring back many memories for me. Just the perfect winter, Christmas-y songs without actually being one.

Shame on you! :( Kimberley, Sarah and Nadine, indeed yes! Indeed so strange, you would think they would invest in another hit single as Fight did very well all over Europe. Seems like they just followed Girls Aloud in the way of never trying to really crack Europe. I think she had the potential, especially during the Fight era. Now she feels just like a has-been (sorry!!) and I wonder if she will ever have another UK hit again, let alone do something outside of the UK.

:lol: :oops:
I had so many stuff. Also the Spice Girls sheets indeed. Their barbie dolls as well. I was a stannnn.

I think you should definitely do a Spice Girls edition :wink: And you should watch the movie. I mean, it's a classic (actually it's incredibly bad ofcourse, but so bad it actually becomes good- just like Crossroads).
Surprised you didn't know WDYTYA earlier, as it was quite the hit! But good to hear you like that one as well.
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:46 pm

07. Say You'll Be There

If you put two and two together, you'll see what a friendship is for
With every song, I notice I want to start with describing something as 'iconic' :lol: That's what you get when you make a countdown of the Spice Girls, I guess. But yes, I think we can definitely describe their second single as iconic. Say You'll Be There showed a slighty different side of the group after the smash that was Wannabe and can be described as one of their 'coolest' song with a very matching video.
I used to be obsessed with the video, especially with Geri's look who I think I had a crush on as a very little boy :lol:

Looking back now, I think this song proved them as the powerhouse they were and was most definitely the right follow-up single. It's however far from my favourite singles as it crashes here at #7.
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:01 pm

006. Wannabe

If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends
Wannabe, the song that started it all!! I can honestly say this is one of the most important pop songs of the past few decades. To me, it brings back so many memories and it just feels like a song that everybody knows and loves. It is a rather simple song, but that's also the magic of it. I never honestly never get tired of it, even though I have played it soo, soo many times already. What I loved so much, and still do, is that these were just five, ordinary, working-class girls. It wasn't fancy, it was (or atleast felt) pure and simple. And that's what the best pop songs are.

The video made a real impact on me as well. I just loved their attitude and how they made fun of the posh people in the room. I think I was already a bit of a rebel when I was six :oops:

Describing all this makes it seems weird it 'only' ended up at #6, they however have such a strong back catalogue that there are five songs I love even more.
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Fan wrote:He, he. That is honestly the most perfect Christmas gift, isn't it?
I always forget it was a charity single, back in the day when people actually made an effort for this :lol: Comic Relief was it, right? Muuuuch better than Walk This Way.
It was for me, i was a proper little spice boy. :lol:

It was for Comic relief and it's by far one of my personal favourite charity songs.

Aww, Say you'll be there was such a great single. These girls played the pop game amazingly well, it doesn't surprise me that Spice Girls were such a global phenomenon. Their songs were really good enjoyable pop music that appealed to all ages, their fun nature and attitude, their likability and the fact even grannies knew who the Spice Girls were. :lol: I don't think we'll see a pop group quite like Spice Girls for a long time.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:09 pm

Oh wow, counting them down fast then. :lol:

Wannabe is still one of the most iconic songs of the 90s and i loved it when it first came out. I feel like i was at the perfect age to fully embrace and enjoy everything about Spice Girls. Their moto was "girl power" and i'm sure my 8 year old self was thinking "i'm a boy but...girl power". :lol: The late 90s was such a special time, the music and the childrens tv shows. There's nothing like this anymore and its such a shame. :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby Erotica » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:13 pm

Wannabe is great but today I prefer many other singles from them, maybe because it was played so often

Say you'll be there could be in my top 2 I think, one of their strongest songs and I loved it as a child and still do today. The video was perfect too, I loved their looks in it
Erotica
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:06 am

"Wannabe" is fantastic, but I do like one Spice Girls song even more. Hopefully, that one's still to come.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:56 am

JakeP wrote:
It was for me, i was a proper little spice boy. :lol:

It was for Comic relief and it's by far one of my personal favourite charity songs.

Aww, Say you'll be there was such a great single. These girls played the pop game amazingly well, it doesn't surprise me that Spice Girls were such a global phenomenon. Their songs were really good enjoyable pop music that appealed to all ages, their fun nature and attitude, their likability and the fact even grannies knew who the Spice Girls were. :lol: I don't think we'll see a pop group quite like Spice Girls for a long time.
Same here! :P

And that's definitely true. They appealed to literally every market and they came exactly at the right time, I honestly believe we will never get a popgroup that will make such an impact as they did. Especially when you think it happened so very fast for them as well.

JakeP wrote:Oh wow, counting them down fast then. :lol:

Wannabe is still one of the most iconic songs of the 90s and i loved it when it first came out. I feel like i was at the perfect age to fully embrace and enjoy everything about Spice Girls. Their moto was "girl power" and i'm sure my 8 year old self was thinking "i'm a boy but...girl power". :lol: The late 90s was such a special time, the music and the childrens tv shows. There's nothing like this anymore and its such a shame. :(
Hahahaha :lol: Yes, I felt exactly the same <3 Girlpower!
I love the 90's so much. It was such a lovely and innocent time and there were so many good pop songs :( I always get a bit nostalgic whenever I talk about it, haha.

Erotica wrote:Wannabe is great but today I prefer many other singles from them, maybe because it was played so often

Say you'll be there could be in my top 2 I think, one of their strongest songs and I loved it as a child and still do today. The video was perfect too, I loved their looks in it
The video was indeed perfect, they looked amazing. Especially Geri.

JSparksFan wrote:"Wannabe" is fantastic, but I do like one Spice Girls song even more. Hopefully, that one's still to come.
I'm curious to hear which particular song you're talking about :P There are still five left and I am pretty sure your favourite will be part of the countdown.
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:03 pm

005. Goodbye

Love's gonna be around for you, you'll always be someone's baby
Kicking off the top 5 is Goodbye, the first song they released without Geri and the single that became their third consecutive Christmas single. Everyone who knows me, know I stanned hard for Ginger Spice and the group never felt the same without Geri, but this song proved they could also deliver as a four-piece. For me, this is one of their most beautiful, yet songs in their back catalogue and was the perfect song to start a new era. The song lyrics are ofcourse about Geri leaving and couldn't be more fitting.

What I always loved about this song is, that while it's certainly sad, it does feel like a real Christmas song. It always gets me into the mood for those dark, snowy night right before Christmas eve :lol:
And the video was, and still to this date, is absolutely stunning. I love the frozen couples who come to live at the end of the video.
Fan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:09 pm

004. 2 Become 1

Set your spirit free, it's the only way to be
And from one ballad, we move on to the next ballad. Just like Goodbye, 2 Become 1 also became a Christmas #1 for them, their worst, but the context of the song couldn't be more different. This song shows their more serious and romantic side and always felt like their most appreciated work by the more serious music press. I still hear this song on the radio quite often, and not just in the 'guilty pleasures' lists. Rightly so, because it's an absolutely stunning song- the girls sound almost angelic on it and the desperate romantic inside me (that I try to hide as often as I can :P ) can appreciate this music A LOT.

Funny thing is, back when this was released I was around 5/6 and obviously couldn't understand a word of English even though I was always singing along. Only years later I realised what the 'the night when 2 become 1' line really meant :lol:
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:17 pm

Aww, two gorgeous songs in a row. <3

Goodbye would've been the perfect final single had the Spice Girls decided to call it a day at this point and leave on a high note.

2 become 1 is sublime, another gorgeous ballad of theirs. Both being christmas #1s always makes me feel festive whenever i hear them. Even if heard these in the summertime, it'd make me think of christmas. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:02 pm

JakeP wrote:Aww, two gorgeous songs in a row. <3

Goodbye would've been the perfect final single had the Spice Girls decided to call it a day at this point and leave on a high note.

2 become 1 is sublime, another gorgeous ballad of theirs. Both being christmas #1s always makes me feel festive whenever i hear them. Even if heard these in the summertime, it'd make me think of christmas. :lol:
It would have, yes. But on the other hand, I do appreciate them trying to release a third album. It just didn't feel like the Spice Girls anymore.

I totally agree :lol: Those songs feel so much like Christmas, that I just see them as Christmas songs as well even though they tecnnically aren't (both of them >> All I Want For Christmas Is You, to be honest).
Fan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts