Mainshow Goes Dicks: Backstreet Boys (#2+#1)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Erotica » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:25 pm

A nice single, I think I did not like it when it was released, but it grew on me over time
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:29 pm

I loved the Backstreet Boys when i was younger but two songs into this countdown and i don't know either of them. :lol: :oops: I thought they had just split up, i've seen Nick Carter doing solo stuff although i always had a soft spot for Brian. <3

Will there be any of their classic late 90s song featuring? I hope so because they're the songs i love the most.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:42 am

Mainshow wrote:Hahaha. Great call!
Yeah, it seems I am effing greedy and I just can't get enough. haha.

Haha. You seem to love that 90s cheesefest as much as I do. So we will be on good terms after that countdown probably. Hopefully, I will not miss your favourite tracks.
I am glad I was able to introduce you to some new music.
Personally, I disliked their latest album but "This Is Us" is quite good. "Shattered" is a hellof an album track. Highly recommendable!
I see, I see :lol: :lol:

Haha, absolutely! Nothing better than some 90s cheese <3
I am curious to see where their big hits will land and hopefully we agree on our favourite BSB track (I actually have two).

I have been listening to Bigger quite a lot over the past few days, great song. I will check out Shattered as well.
Helpless When She Smiles was another new song for me, pretty good as well. I like the chorus!
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:49 am

'Helpless When She Smiles' is really nice! :P
Benny
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Erotica wrote:A nice single, I think I did not like it when it was released, but it grew on me over time
Same here. I was not paying attention to BSB's comeback, tbh, especially since it was kind of "pop/rock"-ish they went for but I just bought their two comeback albums after I bought "THis Is Us" on its day of release and I started to love some of the music they released earlier.

JakeP wrote:I loved the Backstreet Boys when i was younger but two songs into this countdown and i don't know either of them. :lol: :oops: I thought they had just split up, i've seen Nick Carter doing solo stuff although i always had a soft spot for Brian. <3

Will there be any of their classic late 90s song featuring? I hope so because they're the songs i love the most.
Oh really? Wasn't "Helpless When She Smiles" big in the UK? I think it performed quite decent here in Germany and it got a lot of airplay at least. I hope you enjoyed these two songs, though. I can assure you that - since I loved the BSB when I was younger as well - that you'll find a few bubblegum hits in my countdown as well.

Have you seen Brian in their latest music video? He went all topless and he has become very attractive (unlike Nick, tbh).

Fan wrote:I see, I see :lol: :lol:

Haha, absolutely! Nothing better than some 90s cheese <3
I am curious to see where their big hits will land and hopefully we agree on our favourite BSB track (I actually have two).

I have been listening to Bigger quite a lot over the past few days, great song. I will check out Shattered as well.
Helpless When She Smiles was another new song for me, pretty good as well. I like the chorus!
We seem to agree on a lot of things #90scheese <3
Oh, I will definitely not let you down. My Top 2 is divine and there's no other way you will not approve it :D

I am glad "Bigger" grew on you! It deserved to be bigger. I can't believe it flopped :(

Benny wrote:'Helpless When She Smiles' is really nice! :P
Completely agree! Hope you will like the next song as well!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:23 pm

#8: "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)" (1996)

We will go back straight to 1996 when "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)" conquered Central Europe by peaking at #1 in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. - Max Martin has always been a genius and he has always known how a worldwide hit as to sound like.
It's strange to believe that BSB hadn't been a thing in the US while they were already dominating the rest of the world with their catchy bubblegum pop masterpieces. Maybe America hasn't been ready for some light and happy teen-pop tunes? - Their label even didn't want "Quit Playing Games (WIth My Heart)"
to be released as a single and refused to fund a better video. I'm glad that the song still ended up being a massive hit for them (in the US and Europe alike).
I consider this track to be one of the first tracks to make Bubblegum Pop happen. They cleary turned pop music around!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:33 pm

#7: "I Want It That Way" (1999)

Personally, I have always considered "I Want It That Way" to be "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)"'s younger sister. Thus, it hasn't been a huge surprise to see them appear on my countdown after another. Both entries are freaking catchy midtempos which offer a fresh and summer-ish, breezy vibe thanks to the guitars and the boys' divine vocal performances make both songs irresistable.

On a side note: I HAAAAAAAAAATE their white outfits but they clearly turned out to be effing iconic. I mean, how often have they been copied or used for parodies?
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:35 pm

'Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)' is good but a bit overrated. It was one of their biggest hits but is not among my top 10 of them.
'I Want It That Way' on the other hand is devine. The beginning, the chorus, everything - a perfect pop song!
Benny
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:52 pm

Mainshow wrote:We seem to agree on a lot of things #90scheese <3
Oh, I will definitely not let you down. My Top 2 is divine and there's no other way you will not approve it :D

I am glad "Bigger" grew on you! It deserved to be bigger. I can't believe it flopped :(
Yes, definitely!!

Although, you are already letting me down! I Want It That Way CLEARLY deserved to be top 2. It is for me, together with another one, their best song and one of the best songs of the 90's cheesefest in general. So kinda sad to see it leaving this soon :(

Quit Playing Games With My Heart is obviously a classic as well.
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:04 pm

Mainshow wrote:Have you seen Brian in their latest music video? He went all topless and he has become very attractive (unlike Nick, tbh).
I've always found Brian more attractive than Nick. :lol: :oops:

Ohh i love Quit playing games (with my heart) so much. I hadn't quite got into chart music but i know i liked their early songs when i was around 8 years old.

I want it that way is a classic song. My best memories of this song was when me and my friends from school used to mimic Nick's "don't want to hear you saaaaayyy" line. :lol: This was when the Backstreet Boys really were the biggest boyband on the planet. Westlife and A1 could only dream of having this level of global success, but then Backstreet Boy had far better songs. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Erotica » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:40 pm

People in my class loved Backstreet Boys and Quit playing games was a reason for that. I remember they played it at a birthday party and I was so annoyed and hated it. secretly always adored the bodies in the video I think anyway :lol:
but years later and today I love the song. It's the same with #7, hated the song when it was released, was annoyed when it came on Tv and today I love it too, when it was played at the end of my last college I and the others went crazy when the song was played :)
but even though I love both songs today, they are not my favourite singles though, cause there are some that are even better :)
Impresses me how many memories are linked with these songs, another reason why the band is special to me, even though I did not like the boys back then
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby MusicLover88 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:33 pm

The IWITW key change > anything ever
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:37 pm

Benny wrote:'Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)' is good but a bit overrated. It was one of their biggest hits but is not among my top 10 of them.
'I Want It That Way' on the other hand is devine. The beginning, the chorus, everything - a perfect pop song!
I am surprised you call "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)" overrated. It hurts :D
I am glad you like "I Want It That Way" that much, though. It's indeed a perfect pop song! I just think that some other tracks by BSB are even "more perfect".
Hopefully, you'll agree ;)

Fan wrote:
Mainshow wrote:We seem to agree on a lot of things #90scheese <3

Yes, definitely!!

Although, you are already letting me down! I Want It That Way CLEARLY deserved to be top 2. It is for me, together with another one, their best song and one of the best songs of the 90's cheesefest in general. So kinda sad to see it leaving this soon :(

Quit Playing Games With My Heart is obviously a classic as well.
Yes! Your love for "Bigger" is giving me so much life! The song deserves all love it can get! What a tune ;) - I started to listen to it again as well.

Oh damn! That's bad! It was not my intention to let you down! - I think that most people agree... "I Want It That Way" is such an iconic pop masterpiece that it deserves to be inside my Top 3 but I seriously think BSB have even better tracks (even though I love IWITW as well). - I am curious to know which of my follow-up choices you would like to replace in favor of "I Want It That Way".

<3

JakeP wrote:
Mainshow wrote:Have you seen Brian in their latest music video? He went all topless and he has become very attractive (unlike Nick, tbh).
I've always found Brian more attractive than Nick. :lol: :oops:

Ohh i love Quit playing games (with my heart) so much. I hadn't quite got into chart music but i know i liked their early songs when i was around 8 years old.

I want it that way is a classic song. My best memories of this song was when me and my friends from school used to mimic Nick's "don't want to hear you saaaaayyy" line. :lol: This was when the Backstreet Boys really were the biggest boyband on the planet. Westlife and A1 could only dream of having this level of global success, but then Backstreet Boy had far better songs. :wink:
Oh really= I thought that everyone would love Nick the most. He was like the epitome of America's sweetheart (male version); I thought he would be the perfect date for prom :D

Nice! So you started to like them as a young child as well and I am glad that you have great memories of "I Want It That Way"! That mimicing anectode was really cute (I still do it a bit when I listen to the song, though haha). I agree what you said about boybands in general! BSB really left a mark while A1 are sadly almost forgotten (they had great tunes as well, though!).
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:42 pm

Erotica wrote:People in my class loved Backstreet Boys and Quit playing games was a reason for that. I remember they played it at a birthday party and I was so annoyed and hated it. secretly always adored the bodies in the video I think anyway :lol:
but years later and today I love the song. It's the same with #7, hated the song when it was released, was annoyed when it came on Tv and today I love it too, when it was played at the end of my last college I and the others went crazy when the song was played :)
but even though I love both songs today, they are not my favourite singles though, cause there are some that are even better :)
Impresses me how many memories are linked with these songs, another reason why the band is special to me, even though I did not like the boys back then
Wow! What a big confession! I can't believe you hated "Quit Playing Games" that much when you were younger! - But I am more than glad that you've changed your mind because it's a great pop track; same applies to "I Want It That Way". - How weren't you able to enjoy this bright and joyful (and cheesy but cute) music vidoe when it came on TV back in the day? :D

I am glad we agree on other singles by BSB being better (even though I obviously love both tracks). Hopefully, we will agree on a track or two!

MusicLover88 wrote:The IWITW key change > anything ever
Yes! - Damn, I forgot to mention this piece of music perfection on my writing! #smash
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:03 pm

#6: "More Than That" (2001)

The last single taken from a studio album before their split/hiatus sits on #6.
"More Than That" may have underperformed for their standards (e.g. it reached #12 on the UK Single Charts and ended their 13th consecutive Top 10 chart-run), it's one of my favourite BSB songs ever. It is entirely different to their teen-pop masterpieces and shows a more mature side of them.
It is a slow and romantic pop track with strong melodies and distinctive strings.
My personal highlight of the song? Brian's vocals in the middle 8 part followed by an epic chorus!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:08 pm

#5: "The One" (2000)

I'll kick off the Top 5 of "Mainshow Goes Dicks: Backstreet Boys" with a quite underrated catchy teen-pop masterpiece: "The One".
The final single taken from "Millennium" is a typical Max Martin-penned masterpiece which offers that popular summer-ish, breezy guitar sound which used to be popular around 99/00 and which worked so well with the voices of the Backstreet Boys ("I Want It That Way" & "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)". You can also find it on Britney's debut album "...Baby One More Time".

The only thing which I hate about this release is the unnecessary low-budget music video.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Benny » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:14 pm

'More Than That' is really nice and very underrated. What a shame that it didn't do well in the charts - it was the second single in a row that underperformed, after 'The Call'. Seems like after 'Shape of My Heart', people didn't like the songs from 'Black & Blue' that much. I don't agree though, I love the album.

'The One' is not bad but not as strong as many of their other singles IMO.
Benny
Legend

Postby Erotica » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:38 pm

Both songs are good and did not like them back then but today I do. But they're still not my favourites and forget about them sometimes
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Benny wrote:'More Than That' is really nice and very underrated. What a shame that it didn't do well in the charts - it was the second single in a row that underperformed, after 'The Call'. Seems like after 'Shape of My Heart', people didn't like the songs from 'Black & Blue' that much. I don't agree though, I love the album.

I pretty much agree with Benny. I only know the singles from Black & blue and i suspect Shape of my heart was successful purely because it was a brand new song for all the fans. I liked it but i wouldn't say it was amazing like I want it that way. A lot of post-album singles tend to fare less well purely because those who really want the single already have the album. I do like More than that though, as Benny says its an understated track.

Also agree that The one is ok but not one of my absolute favourite Backstreet Boys singles.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Mainshow wrote:Yes! Your love for "Bigger" is giving me so much life! The song deserves all love it can get! What a tune ;) - I started to listen to it again as well.

Oh damn! That's bad! It was not my intention to let you down! - I think that most people agree... "I Want It That Way" is such an iconic pop masterpiece that it deserves to be inside my Top 3 but I seriously think BSB have even better tracks (even though I love IWITW as well). - I am curious to know which of my follow-up choices you would like to replace in favor of "I Want It That Way".

<3
He, he. Well thanks for introducing me to that great song. Any album tracks of their most recent work I should check out?

I Want It That Way is truly iconic indeed! You know now what other song I personally would put into my BSB top two, so I am curious to see where the one will land :lol: (or if it did a Something New and missed the top 10 completely).

I am not the biggest fan of More Than That, to be honest. The weakest song of the song I am afraid, they sound so whiny/annoying on it :oops: The One is a lot better though.Those tour videos were always quite fun as well.
Fan
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:41 pm

More Than That is such a bop. One of my T10 BSB songs as well.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Benny wrote:'More Than That' is really nice and very underrated. What a shame that it didn't do well in the charts - it was the second single in a row that underperformed, after 'The Call'. Seems like after 'Shape of My Heart', people didn't like the songs from 'Black & Blue' that much. I don't agree though, I love the album.

I agree! "More Than That" should have done way better. Personally, I like "Black & Blue" in general; maybe people started to lose interest in Boybands in general. I mean, the last singles by *Nsync also kinda underperformed :(

Erotica wrote:Both songs are good and did not like them back then but today I do. But they're still not my favourites and forget about them sometimes
I am glad you learnt to like them. You shouldn't forget that they exist, though. Great tracks :D

JakeP wrote:

I pretty much agree with Benny. I only know the singles from Black & blue and i suspect Shape of my heart was successful purely because it was a brand new song for all the fans. I liked it but i wouldn't say it was amazing like I want it that way. A lot of post-album singles tend to fare less well purely because those who really want the single already have the album. I do like More than that though, as Benny says its an understated track.

Also agree that The one is ok but not one of my absolute favourite Backstreet Boys singles.
I think you are right about what you said about some singles not doing so well after an album's release; I mean, we just have to look at Cheryl's discography. She's smashing with the leads but after them, she flops :(
I hope you will like the next two songs more ;)
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:45 pm

Fan wrote:
Mainshow wrote:Yes! Your love for "Bigger" is giving me so much life! The song deserves all love it can get! What a tune ;) - I started to listen to it again as well.

<3
He, he. Well thanks for introducing me to that great song. Any album tracks of their most recent work I should check out?

I Want It That Way is truly iconic indeed! You know now what other song I personally would put into my BSB top two, so I am curious to see where the one will land :lol: (or if it did a Something New and missed the top 10 completely).

I am not the biggest fan of More Than That, to be honest. The weakest song of the song I am afraid, they sound so whiny/annoying on it :oops: The One is a lot better though.Those tour videos were always quite fun as well.
So happy you asked! - I am not a huge fan of their latest album but there are some great tracks on "This Is Us", e.g.:
Shattered
PDA
Undone
Masquerade

I guess you'll have to wait and see whether your other favourite track will make my list or not ;)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh! I don't think they sound whiny on "More Than That", I'd describe as emotional xD Glad you like "The One", though and uugh, I hate tour videos/live videos, etc.; BSB were like the biggest thing at that time; their label should have come up with a proper video.

stevyy wrote:More Than That is such a bop. One of my T10 BSB songs as well.
So glad we have something to agree on again!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:54 pm

#4: "The Call" (2001)

The Backstreet Boys used to be the coolest thing ever! I mean, they've been one of the first major pop artists to make use of cell phone theme for one of their best songs (like Britney did with mails with her super romantic masterpiece "E-Mail My Heart" <3). The ringtone followed by a spanish guitar and some heavy and bumping beat is a hell of an intro! Also, the song is very addictive thanks to its massive chorus; who cares if the lyrics lack some substance when you have such a killer hook?! - Oh, and the key changes <3
The original version is one of my favourite pop tunes by a boyband but I still have no clue why their team thought that releasing that utterly horrible Neptunes remix version was a good idea. .
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Benny » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 pm

'The Call' is absolutely amazing - very catchy, great video, and I also like the use of the cell phone.
I agree that the Neptunes remix is awful.
Benny
Legend

Return to Personal Charts