Mainshow Goes Dicks: Backstreet Boys (#2+#1)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:03 pm

#3: "Larger Than Life" (1999)

I have no clue why the original video hasn't been uploaded on BSB's official Vevo account yet. Does anyone know if there's a copyright issue or is their team trying to forget that this massive hit and pop masterpiece happened?

In 1999, the song was exactly what I imagined how pop will sound like in the near future. It was the peak of bubblegum pop up-tempos for me ("Oops!...I Did It Again" aside). The song may sound cheesy (due to being dedicated to their fans and its very uplifting and ass-kissing nature) and dated nowadays but its infectious and memorable chorus deliver so many sing-along moments which make me still love the song with every inch of my body.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:03 pm

Benny wrote:'The Call' is absolutely amazing - very catchy, great video, and I also like the use of the cell phone.
I agree that the Neptunes remix is awful.
I am glad we completely agree on everything concerning that track! The use of the ringtone was so clever and progressive back then!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Benny » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:08 pm

Mainshow wrote:
I have no clue why the original video hasn't been uploaded on BSB's official Vevo account yet. Does anyone know if there's a copyright issue or is their team trying to forget that this massive hit and pop masterpiece happened?
It's available outside Germany:

Another great song, would probably rank between #10 and #12 if I would do such a countdown.
Benny
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 pm

Thanks! - I have no access to it, though. Damn, I think I need to get ProxyTube again or so... but I don't get it... all the other singles are part of BSB's Vevo.
What's the point of not showing this cool music video to Germans anymore?
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 pm

The Call is a good song :) only listen to the album version though, don't like the single version

Larger than life is a great song, love it. Definitely one of their best and a great uptempo song
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 am

Erotica wrote:The Call is a good song :) only listen to the album version though, don't like the single version

Larger than life is a great song, love it. Definitely one of their best and a great uptempo song
But isn't the single version the same as the album version in some markets? - I think they only played the original version over the music video here in Germany. That remix is horrible. Whoever approved that remix to be released as a single in the US.. I hope they got punished haha.

Great you like "Larger Than Life". I am glad that I was able to find a track we both love to kick off my Top 3 ;)
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:38 am

Seems like not all my favourites will be in the top 10 cause only two are left

Well I meant that version of The Call in the video anyway ^^
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Fan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:35 pm

Mainshow wrote:So happy you asked! - I am not a huge fan of their latest album but there are some great tracks on "This Is Us", e.g.:
Shattered
PDA
Undone
Masquerade

I guess you'll have to wait and see whether your other favourite track will make my list or not ;)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh! I don't think they sound whiny on "More Than That", I'd describe as emotional xD Glad you like "The One", though and uugh, I hate tour videos/live videos, etc.; BSB were like the biggest thing at that time; their label should have come up with a proper video.
Me + my basic taste checked out all four songs and I was especially pleased with Masquerade. Very catchy chorus!!

There are still two places left, but I have a feeling it hasn't made your top 10 :P

You do? I think it depends on the artist and video, some of them work for me, Like The One, which has a lot of fun backstage footage as well and I am always curious to see those.

Two great new entries! The Call is very cool, especially the intro you described. Brought back a lot of memories :lol:
Larger Than Life is obviously amazing, one of the highlights in their back catalogue and probably their best video as well.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:51 pm

I don't remember The call at all. :o Just listened to a bit of the song and its ok but i much prefer other Backstreet Boys songs more.

Larger than life had an amazing music video. Weird that its not available in Germany, that makes no sense whatsoever. :evil: But i really enjoy this song, this was when the Backstreet Boys were the biggest boyband on the planet. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby Benny » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:03 pm

Curious to see what the top 2 songs are, I'm sure one of them is 'Everybody', but what's the other one? :o
Benny
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Incomplete and Errbody?
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:40 pm

Maybe As long as you love me? That's the only other one i can think of.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Erotica » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:15 pm

JakeP wrote:Maybe As long as you love me? That's the only other one i can think of.
Incomplete, Everybody and As Long as You Love Me. One of them won't be in, but the other two for sure I think

But there are also great song like Get down, but don't think that's among his favourites :lol: (but among mine)
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Erotica wrote:Seems like not all my favourites will be in the top 10 cause only two are left

Well I meant that version of The Call in the video anyway ^^
Oh, Isn't the video version just a bit longer to include some extra footage?

Fan wrote:
Mainshow wrote:So happy you asked! - I am not a huge fan of their latest album but there are some great tracks on "This Is Us", e.g.:
Shattered
PDA
Undone
Masquerade

I guess you'll have to wait and see whether your other favourite track will make my list or not ;)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh! I don't think they sound whiny on "More Than That", I'd describe as emotional xD Glad you like "The One", though and uugh, I hate tour videos/live videos, etc.; BSB were like the biggest thing at that time; their label should have come up with a proper video.
Me + my basic taste checked out all four songs and I was especially pleased with Masquerade. Very catchy chorus!!

There are still two places left, but I have a feeling it hasn't made your top 10 :P

You do? I think it depends on the artist and video, some of them work for me, Like The One, which has a lot of fun backstage footage as well and I am always curious to see those.

Two great new entries! The Call is very cool, especially the intro you described. Brought back a lot of memories :lol:
Larger Than Life is obviously amazing, one of the highlights in their back catalogue and probably their best video as well.
I'm so glad you seem to enjoy the album tracks I chose. I think you deserve an upgrade! - Your taste ist not basic anymore.. maybe bombastically basic? basically bombastic? :D Something in beween! - Yeah, "Masquerade" is indeed very catchy. I think I prefer "PDA" though.

Oh, I am so happy for you that you can enjoy such videos but I seriously hate all of them. I just think that they are so unnecessary. I mean, they look so fan-made. What's the point of releasing a single that way?

<3 - So glad we agree on the last two songs! I love them!

JakeP wrote:I don't remember The call at all. :o Just listened to a bit of the song and its ok but i much prefer other Backstreet Boys songs more.

Larger than life had an amazing music video. Weird that its not available in Germany, that makes no sense whatsoever. :evil: But i really enjoy this song, this was when the Backstreet Boys were the biggest boyband on the planet. :D
Oha! - I am surprised you forgot about the masterpiece which is "The Call". Maybe it will grow on you? - I loved it sooo much when I was younger.

I agree on "Larger Than Life"'s music video! It was so cool back then!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:06 pm

Benny wrote:Curious to see what the top 2 songs are, I'm sure one of them is 'Everybody', but what's the other one? :o
Goldmoney wrote:Incomplete and Errbody?
JakeP wrote:Maybe As long as you love me? That's the only other one i can think of.
Erotica wrote:
Incomplete, Everybody and As Long as You Love Me. One of them won't be in, but the other two for sure I think

But there are also great song like Get down, but don't think that's among his favourites :lol: (but among mine)
I love all your guesses and you have clearly mentioned great singles and international hits. #youdonothavetowaitmuchlonger :D
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:17 pm

#2: "Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely" (1999)

If you had asked me to come up with a "Mainshow Goes Dicks: Backstreet Boys" edition a few years earlier, "Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely" would have been my #1 for sure. Over the years, another track made it to the top of my personal favourite tracks by BSB, though; which is quite a surprise to me as well.

Anyway, "Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely" is a brilliant tune and I was so happy when it was released as a single since I have always loved some bombastic orchestration in pop tracks. Besides the amazing arrangement and the catchy melody, the song offers some Latin influences which make this pop ballad even more interesting. It's also well-written. My favourite lines are clearly: "There's nowhere to run. I have no place to go. Surrender my heart, body, and soul".

POP MASTERPIECE!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:23 pm

#1: "Shape Of My Heart" (2000)

Surprise! Neither "Everybody" nor "As Long As You Love Me" nor "Incomplete" made my list (even though I enjoy all three songs).
Strangely, I didn't love the track when it was released but after some time, I fell in love with it and I still go back to this track from time to time. It's the perfect sing-along track if you ask me. I think the song deserved to smash worldwide and nowadays, it's slightly underrated by fans. In fact, I love all "Black & Blue" singles.
The song contains everything to make a pop lover happy: A big chorus, great harmonies, a cheesy key change and great vocals! - Maybe Fan will beg to differ and say that BSB sound too whiny on the track again but in my opinion, they are clearly allowed to do so this time because the song is about begging for forgiveness and gives the whole cheesy lyrics some substance.
- Oh gosh, I love it! - I have to listen to it again (again) :D

Mainshow goes Dicks: Backstreet Boys

Thanks again for taking your time and commenting on my countdown. I hope you enjoyed this frist edition of "Mainshow Goes Dicks".
I am quite sad there was no room for "Incomplete" (#11) but here's my whole Top 10 again:
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Benny » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:34 pm

What an amazing top 2, I absolutely adore both songs! :D

They would both be in my personal top 4, together with 'Everybody' and 'I Want It That Way'. I love all four songs equally, it would be very hard for me to rank them.

Fantastic countdown which I truly enjoyed! Looking forward to more dicks! :D :lol:
Benny
Legend

Postby Erotica » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Hm, right, I also thought about your #2 that it could be in it, but never thought about your #1

Show me the meaning of being lonely is a great song. I remember it was played kinda often on the radio back then :) I think it would be in my top 10 too :)

Shape of my heart on the other hand, I don't know, it's neat but not among my favourite songs. A bit too basic for me somehow. Back then I hated the song I think, today I like it but it's still a bit average compared to their other songs

I really enjoyed that countdown, I think my favourite so far :) because of a great band :) Love to listen to them these days even a bit more than usual

Oh and I don't know about all The Call versions :lol: not familiar with that ^^
Erotica
Legend

Postby Fan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:43 pm

Mainshow wrote:I'm so glad you seem to enjoy the album tracks I chose. I think you deserve an upgrade! - Your taste ist not basic anymore.. maybe bombastically basic? basically bombastic? :D Something in beween! - Yeah, "Masquerade" is indeed very catchy. I think I prefer "PDA" though.

Oh, I am so happy for you that you can enjoy such videos but I seriously hate all of them. I just think that they are so unnecessary. I mean, they look so fan-made. What's the point of releasing a single that way?

<3 - So glad we agree on the last two songs! I love them!
:lol: :lol:
Glad I finally got an upgrade? Was it my new found love for Helena Fischer or the fact I liked your BSB album tracks? Basically bombastic should work <3

I think they can be quite fun!!

I knew as soon as I saw your face when I mentioned As Long As You Love Me that it had missed your top 10 :( :( Easily their best song and should have been #1. Shame on you, my friend.
Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely is truly gorgeous, I even bought the cd-single back in the day. Funnily enough, I don't know if I actually knew Shape Of My Heart :o Or just forgot about it! I LOL'd at your mention, but I don't think they sound whiny on this one. Very good track actually.

And bring on the next pair of dicks, always ready!!
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby marat2408 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Great top 3!
Surprised to see "I Want It That Way" so low, it's their signature song for me.
marat2408
Superstar

Postby Benny » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Besides their singles, their best album track is by far 'Get Another Boyfriend'. So catchy, don't know why it wasn't a single.

Benny
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:16 pm

LOL :lol:

Mainshow really delivered the ultimate shock there. :P

Everybody and As long as you love me would both be in my list of favourite Backstreet Boys singles, and its obvious but my #1 is I want it that way.

So as for your top 2, i think they're more like forgotten gems. I haven't heard either of them for a long time. I'd say i prefer Show me the meaning of being lonely more than Shape of your heart. A very surprising conclusion, but surprises are good. :D
JakeP
Manager

Return to Personal Charts