Mainshow Goes Dicks: Olly Murs #2 & #1

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Erotica » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:27 pm

This song wasn't my cup of tea at all.
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:34 pm

Erotica wrote:I hope I will as Olly has some nice singles. :)
Thank you for your comments! <3

Erotica wrote:Heart skips a beat is a good song and was the first song I liked from him :)
I agree and same here! The song introduced me to Olly Murs as an artist and I still love it!

Erotica wrote:Kiss me was great and one of his best songs in general. I think that was exactly the direction I wanted and still want for him. More songs in that style would be good.
I think I didn't like the song right from the start because it's a bit trend-chasing but you're right... I think that this smooth, funky mid-tempo tracks would still for work for him!

Erotica wrote:This song wasn't my cup of tea at all.
Oh no :( "Years & Years" is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lovely <3 - I am glad you liked the rest, though, it's probably already a better rate than on Ariana's countdown :D
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:24 pm

LOL i totally forgot all about this. :P :oops:

Heart skips a beat was great, this was back when Olly delivered pop gold. Kiss me was a reasonably good single and in retrospect deserved to be a bigger hit in the charts than it ended up being.

Not overly fussed with Years and years though. :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:47 pm

Guess who is BACKKKK.

Heart Skip A Beat is a massive, massive tune. I remember when it came out and I was just absolutely obsessed. It had such a fresh and cool vibe. Rizzle Kicks were such a good add on the song as well. I was super glad it did well for them, not just in the UK but all over Europe.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby stevyy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:15 pm

i love Olly. He is so hot. OMG.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:43 am

JakeP wrote:LOL i totally forgot all about this. :P :oops:

Heart skips a beat was great, this was back when Olly delivered pop gold. Kiss me was a reasonably good single and in retrospect deserved to be a bigger hit in the charts than it ended up being.

Not overly fussed with Years and years though. :(
Tbh, I somehow forgot about it as well. I mean, I had a very busy year and had to take a (longer) break but it's really nice to see you back! <3

So true! I personally still believe that Olly delivers pop gold but he turned more into a King of mid-tempos... "Heart Skips A Beat" slays as a worldwide uptempo hit, though.

Fan wrote:Guess who is BACKKKK.

Heart Skip A Beat is a massive, massive tune. I remember when it came out and I was just absolutely obsessed. It had such a fresh and cool vibe. Rizzle Kicks were such a good add on the song as well. I was super glad it did well for them, not just in the UK but all over Europe.
Yeeeeeeeeeeeees! I am a fan of your comeback! ;) Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see more of you!

The song is indeed freaking catchy and a huge hit! Personally, I think it still sounds fresh! - I am glad the song introduced me to one of my favourite male artists!

stevyy wrote:i love Olly. He is so hot. OMG.
Haha. We all need some Olly in our lives.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:59 am

#5: "Grow Up" (2016)

Unpopular opinion alert: "Grow Up" is one of my favourite songs by Olly Murs of all times :oops: I know that the second single taken from "24 Hrs" is heavily disliked among fans, especially here on Ukmix but I personally think the song was a grower. It's not a typical "trend-chasing" Olly (lead) single with an infectious hook. Maybe that's why I love it so much? It's super cute (the music video as well) and I adore that singer-songwriter-ish feeling.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:09 am

#4: "Seasons" (2015)

This is pop perfection: The song kicks off with a catchy intro. It's a bit dreamy as well because it's stimple Olly's voice and an acoustic guitar to accompany him before the very infectious "Ooh"s and "Ahh"s and the perfectly-produced beat drop. The song gives Olly the opportunity to let his voice shine. The song is quite mature and the music video is a delight for all the hungry hearts out there <3
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:58 am

I don't like Grow up :/ But Seasons is a good song, it grew on me after some time even though it never entered my charts.
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:28 pm

:lol:

Oh well, someone has to like Grow up i guess. :wink: :P The music video is kinda cute but the song itself is such a non event for me. :(

As for Seasons i have always felt quite indifferent to the song. It's not a bad song just not very memorable. :oops:

Let's hope the top 3 is better. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:09 pm

Erotica wrote:I don't like Grow up :/ But Seasons is a good song, it grew on me after some time even though it never entered my charts.
I am glad "Seasons" is a song you like even though it didn't enter your chart ;) I think it's timeless.. maybe not that instant?

JakeP wrote::lol:

Oh well, someone has to like Grow up i guess. :wink: :P The music video is kinda cute but the song itself is such a non event for me. :(

As for Seasons i have always felt quite indifferent to the song. It's not a bad song just not very memorable. :oops:

Let's hope the top 3 is better. :lol:
#harsh :D :lol: I knew I am like the only person on this forum to love "Grow Up" though :D - A pity you don't like "Seasons" though... I am afraid you won't like my top 2 :D :oops: But song #3 should be something for you ;)
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 pm

#3: "Up (feat. Demi Lovato)" (2015)

"Up" has been a massive radio hit here in Germany and I was so happy for Olly having success again. It's a pity he couldn't take advantage of it when it comes to his latest album.
Tbh, I still believe that this track is one of the best collaboration we encountered in the last few years. Olly and Demi sound so amazing together. Olly being cheeky again and Demi's strong vocals harmonize so much on this track and the arrangement adds a folksy/singer-songwriter-ish feeling. It's catchy, uplifting and totally charming! I always find myself going back listening to this track and it always ends up being part of my "family birthday playlist" since I haven't met a single person who can't stand this track.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Never liked that one, one of his worst, and Demi featurings always unnecessary for me anyway.
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:24 pm

Erotica wrote:Never liked that one, one of his worst, and Demi featurings always unnecessary for me anyway.
:o That's shocking... I honestly think it's one of the best collabs of pop acts of all times :D
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:49 pm

"Heart Skips a Beat" is cute! It's another one of my big faves from him.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:01 am

"UP" is the only good thing that Demi chick has done so far. Enjoyed to hear it that often on the radio here. :D
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:45 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Heart Skips a Beat" is cute! It's another one of my big faves from him.
Glad you like it! It's how I found out about him! ;)

luckyONE wrote:"UP" is the only good thing that Demi chick has done so far. Enjoyed to hear it that often on the radio here. :D
Same here! Love to hear it on the radio every time! Glad you like it :D - Poor Demi, though :D :lol:
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:51 pm

Mainshow wrote:But song #3 should be something for you ;)
Indeed it is. :D

I wasn't sure where Olly was headed after the release of Wrapped up (only a minor hit in my top 20 peaking at...#20! :lol: ) so when Up came along i was pleasantly surprised.

Glad to see this making your top 3. Curious to see what the top 2 songs are as you suspect i won't like either of them. :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:56 pm

JakeP wrote:
Mainshow wrote:But song #3 should be something for you ;)
Indeed it is. :D

I wasn't sure where Olly was headed after the release of Wrapped up (only a minor hit in my top 20 peaking at...#20! :lol: ) so when Up came along i was pleasantly surprised.

Glad to see this making your top 3. Curious to see what the top 2 songs are as you suspect i won't like either of them. :P
Lovely to read that Olly got you back on board after "Up"! - I haven't been a fan of "Wrapped Up" either.. I don't mind the track but I usually do not love his generic and basic lead singles :D

Oh, my picks for #2 and #1 are a bit random :D *spoiler alert*
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:06 pm

#2: "Hand On Heart (2013)

Being ranked #2, we find "Hand On Heart", the fifth single taken from Olly's successful album Right Place Right Time. The song's dreamy intro and Olly's pulsing vocals get me every time! I also prefer the single version to its album version because it sounds a bit more eventful and polished. The piano lifts the song to another level and my favourite part is the short instrumental break when Olly sings "Just Put Your Hand On Your Heart"

Btw, isn't it amazing that Robbie Williams is part of its music video?!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:22 pm

#1: "Dear Darlin' (2013)

Ok, I admit it... I am a sucker for Olly's cheesy mid-tempo tracks. Again, we can find a dreamy arrangement in "Dear Darlin'" due to the fantastic strings and bells in the chorus while the song itself still feels very rhythmic and current. What I also love? Olly still recognizes the power of words and the importance of writing "old-fashioned" letters... even in the 21st century! <3

Surprisingly, it even went to #2 here in Germany and ended up being one of 20 most successful songs back in 2013!

Mainshow goes Dicks: OLLY MURS

Thank you, guys, for commenting on my Olly Murs "Mainshow Goes Dicks" edition! - I hope you enjoyed it even though the top 2 might have shocked you a bit since neither "Troublemaker" nor "Wrapped Up" made it. - "Army Of Tow" (#11) and "Dance With Me Tonight" (#12) sadly just missed my Top 10, though. - However, Olly's about to release a new album next month! Who knows if he will be able to deliver some new amazing and cathy tunes this era! - Probably Stevie Knows...
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Hand on heart wasn't too bad but i was never a big fan of the song. I actually found the music video kinda uninspiring tbh. :oops:

Dear darlin' is a great #1. I think this might've been Olly's biggest hit around the world. I might be wrong but didn't this get to #1in Germany? I'm sure i read that somewhere as i had no idea that Olly was popular particular in europe around that time. Great song that ended up being very successful in the UK despite only peaking at #5.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Erotica » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:57 pm

I totally forgot about the song Hand on heart. But I didn't miss much. Dear Darlin is a song from Olly that annoys me, don't like it at all.

So funnily many singles I like didn't appear here. So we have a very different taste concerning his music. ^^
Erotica
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:41 am

Ahm you actually missed out on most of my favourite Olly singles this time. Boo.
Busy will always be my to-go-to song. For me, it's just the cutest song. The perfect "I-want-to-cuddle-my-bf-and-stay-in-bed-all-day" kind of song <3 Shame for Dance With Me Tonight missing out as well, that would be my #2. I ADORE Thinking Of You, Please Don't Let Me Go and Oh My Goodness as well. In general, his two first era's were the best for me.

However, I do like both songs in your top 2. Hand On Heart is a typical, cute Olly song (the 'when you don't feel strong enough to make it' is glorious) but Dear Darlin' is gorgeoussss. Although, I have always been a bit disappointed with the studio version after hearing the acoustic live version before. That will always be the most beautiful version and should have been made into the album version.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts