101 Best British Songs of the Last 10 Years: #94-#89

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby bluecherry » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:12 pm

I was looking at some old 'Now!' albums and decided I wanted to create a list of the best British songs of the last ten years (in my opinion). Songs released from 1st Jan '08 to present will be included and songs of all genres will also be included! Adele, Paloma Faith, Ellie Goulding, Sugababes, Jessie Ware, AlunaGeorge and Dizzee Rascal are some of the phenomenal artists that will be included.
Last edited by bluecherry on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:13 pm

#101 Banks - Underdog (2017)

Recent hit 'Underdog' just creeps into the chart at #101, due to current exposure on my personal chart! The song is infectious and the deep growls and synths make for a phenomenally clever and addictive song.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:25 pm

#100 Little Boots - Earthquake (2009)

At the time tipped as the next big thing, Little Boots released a phenomenal electropop with incredible choruses and distinctive almost Kylie-esque vocals. Despite never making it big, the album has some excellent British pop music.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:12 pm

#99 Years & Years - King (2015)

The British electropop band released their first (and only thus far) UK single 'King' in 2015. The song is an upbeat feel good song with an incredible video and compelling synths. Teamed with Alexander's excellent vocal this song is one to remember.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:58 pm

"King" is great!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:08 am

I like King :)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Fan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:35 am

I like all three songs so far actually!!
Nice to see Little Boots making an entry, shame her career never took off as her debut was pretty good and Earthquake was a tune (not as much as Remedy though).
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Erotica wrote:I like King :)
JSparksFan wrote:"King" is great!
It is a great song!

Fan wrote:I like all three songs so far actually!!
Nice to see Little Boots making an entry, shame her career never took off as her debut was pretty good and Earthquake was a tune (not as much as Remedy though).
You'll just have to wait and see! I really loved her sound and don't know why it didn't take off considering the quality an that it was a popular sound.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:03 pm

#98 MNEK - At Night (I Think About You) (2016)

British hitmaker MNEK has never managed to launch his own career to success, but he has produced some gems including this phenomenal song. Soaring vocals, a catchy hook and a great beat make for a phenomenal song.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:05 pm

#97 The Vamps - Can We Dance (2014)

One of five boy band songs in our top 100, 'Can We Dance' was a song I heard and instantly fell in love with. With Brad's warm vocals and the fun nature of the song I found it pretty irresistible.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:07 pm

#96 Plan B - She Said (2010)

British rapper Plan B released the phenomenal 'She Said' from his debut major label studio album. Mixing his distinct vocals with his rapping style, Plan B put a modern British twist on a classic genre.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:11 pm

#95 Eliza Doolittle - Pack Up (2010)

A more family friendly Lily Allen, Eliza Doolittle kickstarted her career with a phenomenal pop song. Using the lyrics from a 1915 song ('Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit-Bag') the song was fun and different enough to earn a spot here. Despite a decent follow up album, she never replicated the success of her debut.
Last edited by bluecherry on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:19 am

Plan B is a good pick! She Said was quite the tune, although I did like the whole record. Ill Manors was brilliant as well <3

Eliza is nice as well, such a lovely, summery song.
Fan
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 am

'King' would be 98 positions higher on my chart!
Benny
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi bluecherry :D

This should be a really interesting countdown. Loving that you've chosen 101 songs. :lol:

I only remember Remedy which i loved but its strange to think Little Boots was hailed as the next big thing, but ultimately the success was very short lived.

Aww, my 'ickle precious Olly! <3 I loved King and it topped my personal chart at the time. I loved the 80s influences in the song, i loved the creativity and choreography in the music video. It seemed like a final year performing arts piece but i loved everything about this.

I'm not the biggest Plan B fan, but i do remember this song. It was very refreshing and different for a british rapper to create something quite motown-esque and pull it off extremely well.

95 Eliza Doolittle - Pack Up (2010)

Aww, this was such a joyous uplifting feel good anthem back then. Not heard it for a long time so its making me feel all reminiscent. Such a cute song. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:22 pm

Fan wrote:Plan B is a good pick! She Said was quite the tune, although I did like the whole record. Ill Manors was brilliant as well <3

Eliza is nice as well, such a lovely, summery song.
- Glad to see you enjoy them!
Benny wrote:'King' would be 98 positions higher on my chart!
- It probably is criminally low, in retrospect :oops:
JakeP wrote:Hi bluecherry :D

This should be a really interesting countdown. Loving that you've chosen 101 songs. :lol:

I only remember Remedy which i loved but its strange to think Little Boots was hailed as the next big thing, but ultimately the success was very short lived.

Aww, my 'ickle precious Olly! <3 I loved King and it topped my personal chart at the time. I loved the 80s influences in the song, i loved the creativity and choreography in the music video. It seemed like a final year performing arts piece but i loved everything about this.

I'm not the biggest Plan B fan, but i do remember this song. It was very refreshing and different for a british rapper to create something quite motown-esque and pull it off extremely well.

95 Eliza Doolittle - Pack Up (2010)

Aww, this was such a joyous uplifting feel good anthem back then. Not heard it for a long time so its making me feel all reminiscent. Such a cute song. :D
- I think if I recall correctly she had one top ten hit and one top twenty hit: hardly even a one album wonder!
- I just think it still sounds so fresh even now. It was an incredible pop song.
- I'm not either, I just thought this song was executed extremely well!
- It's definitely a great song to feel uplifted by!

Thank you all for commenting!
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:25 pm

#94 Misha B - Here's to Everything (Ooh La La) (2013)

Possibly one of my favourite X Factor contestants ever, I was elated when this feelgood song was released. Mixing the best components of Misha's voice, drum and bass being made popular again by DJ Fresh at the time, an uplifting rhythm and a Fugees sample, the song was a smash hit on my personal charts in 2013. The song still uplifts me instantly, and I think it was criminal to peak so low in the UK, unfortunately stalling her career (that I believe) could've been huge.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:29 pm

#93 Leona Lewis - Better in Time (2008)

The follow up to 'Bleeding Love' may not have quite matched its success (which would've been impossible), but the song perfectly showcases her beautiful in a 'We Belong Together' style ballad. Being the only entry by the X Factor winner ('Collide', 'Forgive Me', 'Run', 'One More Sleep' and 'Happy' were all close), the song had massive success, when I looked back at 2008. The song perfectly represents the appeal of Lewis.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:32 pm

#92 Lapsley - Hurt Me (2016)

The electropop ballad by British singer-songwriter ballads is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful ballads of the decade. Her distinct mixed with haunting piano and relaxed electronic instrumentalisation help the incredible chorus hit home. The heartfelt ballad really strikes home.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:40 pm

#91 Girls Can't Catch - Keep Your Head Up

The two-single-wonders Girls Can't Catch released their debut single in 2009 on Polydor, and were sadly dropped after the follow up 'Echo'. Despite what I believe to be great potential, this is actually a really good pop song and has been 99% forgotten by the general public.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:43 pm

#90 Rebecca Ferguson - Backtrack (2012)

Taking what Dionne Bromfield did with her debut and doing it better, Ferguson released this track with the re-release of her debut. The soul-pop song is infectious, upbeat and makes her sound incredible on this uptempo song. The background vocals really make it sound Motown without being too doo-woppy. I'd love to hear her come back with this song. I really think this song being at #90 attests to how strong British music has been at points, as I would've expected it to be higher until I actually compiled the charts.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 pm

#89 Marina and the Diamonds - Hollywood (2009)

The quirky 'Hollywood' with intelligent lyrics and cutting social commentary was many's introduction to Marina Diamandis. The song is still an incredible pop song with such clever writing that I never skip it when my phone is on shuffle. With Kate Bush-esque vocals, and playing around with different voices, the track is just a perfect pop song.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby Fan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:45 pm

OMG! Misha B! Funnily enough, JakeP and I got talking about her in his thread the other day, and ever since I've fallen all over in love with both Home Again and especially Do You Think Of Me? Soo good to see her in here as well, shame she has been threated so poorly after (or even during) the show because girl got potential.

Hollywood is a massive tune, still one of my favourites from Marina.
Fan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:25 am

"Better in Time" is beautiful! The Spirit era was a fantastic one for Leona, both commercially and quality-wise.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts