Ray's Female Voices Top 50

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

 

Postby Goldmoney » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:23 pm

K
User avatar
Goldmoney
Legend
 
Posts: 20223
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009
Location: aRatchet Street

Postby RayRay » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Top 5 coming soon...

All five have over 1000 scrobbles.

Only one of them doesn't have a US #1 song nor album.

Five solo singers from three different countries.

Any guesses?
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12496
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:25 pm

Great to see Tina. Surprisingly high on your list, however she does have enormous talent.

Adele?
Mariah?
Madonna?
Celine?
Helene?
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
User avatar
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer
 
Posts: 10548
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby RayRay » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:27 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Great to see Tina. Surprisingly high on your list, however she does have enormous talent.

Adele?
Mariah?
Madonna?
Celine?
Helene?
Adele was already at #38.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12496
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:28 pm

RayRay wrote:
SummerPeur wrote:Great to see Tina. Surprisingly high on your list, however she does have enormous talent.

Adele?
Mariah?
Madonna?
Celine?
Helene?
Adele was already at #38.
Was she?! Did I miss her.....that's a bit of a shock!

Hmmm - Not sure who another one could be that I would be forgetting.....

Bjork? Laura? Possibilities are endless.
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
User avatar
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer
 
Posts: 10548
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby RayRay » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:31 pm

SummerPeur wrote:
RayRay wrote:
SummerPeur wrote:Great to see Tina. Surprisingly high on your list, however she does have enormous talent.

Adele?
Mariah?
Madonna?
Celine?
Helene?
Adele was already at #38.
Was she?! Did I miss her.....that's a bit of a shock!

Hmmm - Not sure who another one could be that I would be forgetting.....

Bjork? Laura? Possibilities are endless.
Laura Pausini was at #15.

You can see #50 - #6 at page 1.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12496
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby trebor » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 pm

One is Deborah Gibson for sure!
You mention her a LOT! :wink:
User avatar
trebor
Legend
 
Posts: 13738
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014

Postby Goldmoney » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:13 am

5 Debbie something
4 Random European singer
3 Celine
2 Madonna
1 Kween
User avatar
Goldmoney
Legend
 
Posts: 20223
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009
Location: aRatchet Street

Postby HotPotato » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:26 pm

Love The Carpenters, Karen had such an instantly recognisable, timeless voice that turned each song with her voice on it into silk.

Carpenters signature faves are Superstar, Rainy Days and Mondays, Solitaire, This Masquerade, Calling Occupants and Close To You. Lesser known nuggets I love are the loopy Beechwood 45789, the dramatic From This Moment On and posthumous single release Tryin' To Get The Feeling again, recorded in one take as a demo and released 25 years after her death.

I also love Karen's only solo album - cruelly shelved during her lifetime - and its tinges of disco, especially If I Had You and My Body Keeps Changing My Mind.

Janet's back catalogue of gems is exhaustingly extensive. SO MANY AMAZING TRACKS - both as singles and left on her albums. Control is a funky, empowering sonic masterpiece chock full of some of her best. I adore The Pleasure Principle, Control and Let's Wait Awhile. Rhythm Nation 1814 was visually too dark for me when it first came out and I think Miss You Much was a misstep as a first single, there are so many better songs. But once the lighter songs started to get released with their extravagant colourful videos, it helped me get back into the title track too and appreciate the project as a whole. Escapade, Alright and Come Back To Me are still on heavy repeat with me and I think Love Will Never Do - with its oh so sexy video that bridged the gap between this album and janet. is I think my favourite all time song of hers.

janet. again just kept the all killer no filler up, even at that length. If is almost a contender for my favourite song of hers. Throb, Because Of Love and Again are also highlights, but it's just a great album to throw on knowing you won't need to skip anything.

Until Unbreakable The Velvet Rope was my favourite album of her - like janet. but darker and more experimental. All the singles were just alright to me, no classics, but I adore the title track and Rope Burn and would also have released Special as a single. The album as a whole though just flows - the singles all sound better in the context of the album.

The albums get patchier in quality after that (especially the terrible All For You which has nothing of note except for the title track, the original Son Of A Gun and the stunning Trust A Try.) Damita Jo however is a rare album gem overshadowed by Nipplegate, but contains the fab Island Life and had lots of potential hits I think. 20 Y.O. is her worst post Control album, pretty much all duds. So Excited is the best there and it's still pretty bad. Discipline is a bit more of a return to form, the first 3 singles were all good as was the title track and my album fave 2nite.

Unbreakable though came out of nowhere for me, casually including some of my alltime fave Janet songs. I wish she had done more promotion and we had had more than one video. We really needed a video for the fun Burnitup! and both album highlights Night and Take Me Away should have been released as singles. I also like Michael soundalike The Great Forever. I can only hope she makes another album this great.

Whitney is also totally up there, that voice is just out of this world - on uptempos just as much as with ballads. I almost don't need to say any more than that, my alltime fave tracks include Saving All My Love, All At Once, Wanna Dance With Somebody, So Emotional, Love Is A Contact Sport, One Moment In Time, I'm Your Baby, My Name Is Not Susan, I Belong To You, I Have Nothing, My Heart Is Calling, It's Not Right (But It's Ok), If I Told You That, Could I Have This Kiss Forever, Same Script Different Cast and Nothin' But Love.

I also fell for Sarah Connor with From Sarah With Love, a classic. I also love Magic Ride (Whatever You Wish For), Just One Last Dance and From Zero To Hero. I don't know why but I never checked out Muttersprache after the first single, but I will do.

Tina Arena I only infrequently dip back into since loving Chains back in the day, but I do also like Sorrento Moon and am happy she is still churning music out.
This ain't gon be easy
User avatar
HotPotato
Manager
 
Posts: 2099
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013

Postby BodyShop » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:41 pm

RayRay wrote:
BodyShop wrote:Whitney is a Queen.
As much as I love Celine and Mariah,there will never be another voice like hers.
Like you,I also play at least one Whitney song everyday.
My ultimate Whitney song(for years) ,used to be One Moment In Time but that has changed since late last year.
Now,this place belongs to Run To You.
Have you heard Glennis Grace sing One Moment In Time and Run To You?
It's like she brings Whitney back to live. :D
Yes! Glennis is a fantastic singer.
I discovered her when Sinnead's version of Nothing Compares To You was not yet available on Spotify and I found her live rendition.
Was in awe and still have it saved on 2 of my personal playlists :D
User avatar
BodyShop
Manager
 
Posts: 4921
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015

Postby BodyShop » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:43 pm

I thin your top 5 is
Debbie Gibson
Don't know
Celine
Madonna
Mariah
:P
User avatar
BodyShop
Manager
 
Posts: 4921
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015

Postby HotPotato » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:27 pm

Judging by your Top 50 template so far I would say the missing link is Lara Fabian.
This ain't gon be easy
User avatar
HotPotato
Manager
 
Posts: 2099
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013

Postby RayRay » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 pm

@HotPotato, we have such a similar taste! Great to read your long essays! Love it!

Where are you from?
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12496
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby RayRay » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:16 pm

At #5 it's Debbie Gibson.

Only In My Dreams just failed to reach the Dutch Top 40, but when Shake Your Love did reach the Top 40 here, my sister heard the song on the radio and insisted I hear it as she knew I would love it. So there I sat next to the radio to wait for it to be played. And yes, she was right. I loved right there and then. Then I read a review of the album, where she was named the new Madonna (my biggest idol). That made me even more curious and so I went to the CD store and listened to the album. I bought Out Of The Blue and have loved her ever since.

One of my all time favorite Debbie songs is Losin' Myself. It's what That's The Way Love Goes is for Janet and what Justify My Love is for Madonna.



Other songs I really like:
Out Of The Blue
Foolish Beat
Electric Youth
We Could Be Together
No More Rhyme
Anything Is Possible
Sure
Try
Where Have You Been
Will You Love Me Tomorrow
Naturally
Butterflies Are Free
Cry Tonight
Where I Wanna Be

For everyone who doesn't know much about Miss Gibson: Debbie is an American singer-songwriter, record producer and actress. She released her debut album Out of the Blue in 1987, which spawned several international hits, later being certified triple Platinum by the RIAA. One of those singles, "Foolish Beat", made her the youngest female artist to write, produce and perform a Billboard Hot 100 number-one single. Her double-platinum second album Electric Youth (1989), gave her another U.S. number-one hit with "Lost in Your Eyes". She is the sole songwriter on all of her singles to reach the Top 20 of the Hot 100 charts. She was recognized by ASCAP as Songwriter of the Year, along with Bruce Springsteen, in 1989.

Total Debbie Gibson/Deborah Gibson scrobbles: 1054
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12496
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby HotPotato » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:50 pm

RayRay wrote:@HotPotato, we have such a similar taste! Great to read your long essays! Love it!

Where are you from?
:D I know we really do. I'm from near Manchester in England but adulted for many years in London before living in Greece, Barcelona and now six years in Prague.

I was actually forced to do my (lengthy) recaps now because I knew Debbie was coming and wanted to go in on her as I imagine most posters here would be like um who now... :lol:
This ain't gon be easy
User avatar
HotPotato
Manager
 
Posts: 2099
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013

Postby RayRay » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:52 pm

HotPotato wrote:
RayRay wrote:@HotPotato, we have such a similar taste! Great to read your long essays! Love it!

Where are you from?
:D I know we really do. I'm from near Manchester in England but adulted for many years in London before living in Greece, Barcelona and now six years in Prague.

I was actually forced to do my (lengthy) recaps now because I knew Debbie was coming and wanted to go in on her as I imagine most posters here would be like um who now... :lol:
I knew you had to be from Europe as you know (and like) the same artists as me.

Looking forward to your essay on Debbie Gibson. :D
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12496
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby HotPotato » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:17 am

Love. Debbie. Gibson.

She was the epitomy of pure pop energy when she first came out, embodying wholesome innocence with talent and creative ownership beyond her years - and above all an ear for a catchy tune.

Shake Your Love was her first big UK hit and I also instantly fell in love with it. It came at a golden age of pop when suddenly over the course of a few months an onslaught of pop goddesses emerged for the first time. I remember thinking at the time wow, this moment is really special, as I clutched my pile of 7" singles of Belinda Carlisle's Heaven Is A Place On Earth, Tiffany's I Think We're Alone Now, Taylor Dayne's Tell It To My Heart, Kylie Minogue's I Should Be So Lucky and Debbie's Shake Your Love.

Debbie's debut album is still one of my all time favourite's from any artist - it's SO. GOOD. Shake Your Love, Only In My Dreams, Out Of The Blue, Play The Field, Fallen Angel...so many punchy pop classics.

Her second album for me isn't quite as stunning as a whole but I adore the frantic title track Electric Youth, classy US number one Lost In Your Eyes, We Could Be Together (especially the campire mix), and one of my alltime Debbie faves is the Dub mix of Over The Wall, which was the b-side to We Could Be Together.

3rd album Anything Is Possible underperformed and I think it was a mistake to split the album into an uptempo and downtempo side and could have benefitted from a few song cuts, but contains some of her best uptempos - the slinky title track, the fiery One Step Ahead and punchy opener Another Brick Falls.

By the time her 4th album Body, Mind, Soul arrived her star had waned but that is my joint favourite album with her debut. I adore naughty first single Shock Your Mama, the sultry Losin' Myself and the empowering When I Say No, but there isn't a dud song on the album, much better than it's predecessor for trimming any filler tracks.

Think With Your Heart is also a very pleasant album to listen to, low on potential hits but containing classy adult contemporary cuts Didn't Have The Heart and For Better Or Worse, sassy Dont'cha Want Me Now and album highlight, the superfun and theatrical if all too brief Too Fancy.

Moonchild isn't bad but the only standout tracks are Only Words and one of my alltime Debbie faves, the fab ballad duet Cry Tonight, which I always think would be great early on in Act Two of a Debbie Gibson musical. Anna-Jane Casey's vocals are stunning though almost too similar to Debbie's and I can't help but wish she had found a name to duet with - had her beef with Tiffany ended years earlier this would have been a delicious duet for them with their voices contrasting perfectly. I can really imagine her on the line 'Can't believe there's someone new...'

Seventh album M.Y.O.B. (Mind Your Own Business) isn't great but I do like Your Secret. Since then the quality of her voice has suffered a little, with stage performances making it a bit shouty and strained and not as pleasant as it used to be, but that is to be expected over time. Still, she has such a stellar back catalogue I constantly dip back into her work and I'm thrilled she is so high on this chart.
This ain't gon be easy
User avatar
HotPotato
Manager
 
Posts: 2099
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013

Postby RayRay » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:37 pm

HotPotato wrote:Love. Debbie. Gibson.

She was the epitomy of pure pop energy when she first came out, embodying wholesome innocence with talent and creative ownership beyond her years - and above all an ear for a catchy tune.

Shake Your Love was her first big UK hit and I also instantly fell in love with it. It came at a golden age of pop when suddenly over the course of a few months an onslaught of pop goddesses emerged for the first time. I remember thinking at the time wow, this moment is really special, as I clutched my pile of 7" singles of Belinda Carlisle's Heaven Is A Place On Earth, Tiffany's I Think We're Alone Now, Taylor Dayne's Tell It To My Heart, Kylie Minogue's I Should Be So Lucky and Debbie's Shake Your Love.

Debbie's debut album is still one of my all time favourite's from any artist - it's SO. GOOD. Shake Your Love, Only In My Dreams, Out Of The Blue, Play The Field, Fallen Angel...so many punchy pop classics.
Out Of The Blue is also one of my all time favorite albums from ANY artist! EVERY song is just pop heaven. Her record breaking #1 hit Foolish Beat, the infectious Out Of The Blue, Only In My Dreams, Shake Your Love and Red Hot... The beautiful Fallen Angel and Between The Lines. The playful Staying Together and Play The Field.

HotPotato wrote:Her second album for me isn't quite as stunning as a whole but I adore the frantic title track Electric Youth, classy US number one Lost In Your Eyes, We Could Be Together (especially the campfire mix), and one of my alltime Debbie faves is the Dub mix of Over The Wall, which was the b-side to We Could Be Together.
As you, I prefer the first album, but I can listen to her second album any time as well. The beautiful ballad No More Rhyme, the fun of We Could Be Together, the sing-along-songs Love In Disguise and Helplessy In Love, the up-tempo's Electric Youth and Should've Been The One. And yes, the campfire mix of We Could Be Together and the iconic #1 hit Lost In Your Eyes.

HotPotato wrote:3rd album Anything Is Possible underperformed and I think it was a mistake to split the album into an uptempo and downtempo side and could have benefitted from a few song cuts, but contains some of her best uptempos - the slinky title track, the fiery One Step Ahead and punchy opener Another Brick Falls.
I agree that the album as a whole is too long and would have been stronger with less tracks. On the other hand, fans seem to love different tracks, so which songs to lose is hard to say. I do like the idea of having 8 ballads and 8 uptempo's. Favorite uptempo's Anything Is Possible (one of my all time favorites, such a positve message), Deep Down (I was thrilled when Debbie did a cameo and it was played in my favorite series back in the day: Beverley Hills 90210), Another Brick Falls and One Step Ahead. But the ballads are what makes this album so loved by me: Sure, Try, In His Mind, Where Have You Been... Love them soooo much!

HotPotato wrote:By the time her 4th album Body, Mind, Soul arrived her star had waned but that is my joint favourite album with her debut. I adore naughty first single Shock Your Mama, the sultry Losin' Myself and the empowering When I Say No, but there isn't a dud song on the album, much better than it's predecessor for trimming any filler tracks.
I love the naughty video that goes with Shock Your Mama. But the sexy Losin' Myself is one of her best songs ever IMO. I can't believe it wasn't #1 around the world. It was Debbie grown up and still writing amazing songs.

HotPotato wrote:Think With Your Heart is also a very pleasant album to listen to, low on potential hits but containing classy adult contemporary cuts Didn't Have The Heart and For Better Or Worse, sassy Dont'cha Want Me Now and album highlight, the superfun and theatrical if all too brief Too Fancy.
Yes, it is low on potential hits. But I love the concept of the album as a whole. It's what Tapestry was to Carole King. This album is full of beautiful songs with stunning orchestral arrangements. And as a tribute to Carole King it has the best cover version I've ever heard of Will You Love Me Tomorrow.

HotPotato wrote:Moonchild isn't bad but the only standout tracks are Only Words and one of my alltime Debbie faves, the fab ballad duet Cry Tonight, which I always think would be great early on in Act Two of a Debbie Gibson musical. Anna-Jane Casey's vocals are stunning though almost too similar to Debbie's and I can't help but wish she had found a name to duet with - had her beef with Tiffany ended years earlier this would have been a delicious duet for them with their voices contrasting perfectly. I can really imagine her on the line 'Can't believe there's someone new...'
First album I don't agree on with you. To me Moonchild (or Deborah as it was originally named) is one of my all time favorite Debbie/Deborah albums. The single Only Words, the fab duet Cry Tonight (never knew she had any beef with Tiffany though), the gospel tinged Butterflies Are Free, the catchy Where I Wanna Be and Just Wasn't Love, and my favorite Naturally.

HotPotato wrote:Seventh album M.Y.O.B. (Mind Your Own Business) isn't great but I do like Your Secret. Since then the quality of her voice has suffered a little, with stage performances making it a bit shouty and strained and not as pleasant as it used to be, but that is to be expected over time. Still, she has such a stellar back catalogue I constantly dip back into her work and I'm thrilled she is so high on this chart.
I agree it isn't great. One of my least favorite Debbie/Deborah albums. Yes, Your Secret is nice and a typical Debbie uptempo. I also like the fun of Knock Three Times.

You didn't mention Colored Lights: The Broadway Album. I prefer Debbie writing her own songs, but it is nice to have her highlight her musical career.

I even own her CD Ms. Vocalist, which was only released in Japan. As it was released in 2010, I think we really could use a new album soon. I am also thankful for the 10 CD / 3 DVD box set she released last year. One of the best singer/songwriters we have, who is underappreciated big time.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12496
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby BodyShop » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:55 pm

I LOVE !!!!! Electric Youth and Lost In Your Eyes !
User avatar
BodyShop
Manager
 
Posts: 4921
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015

Postby SummerPeur » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:24 pm

Don't know Gibson. I'll check her out though :).
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
User avatar
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer
 
Posts: 10548
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby RayRay » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:30 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Don't know Gibson. I'll check her out though :).
You really should.

Some songs that could be interesting:

Her #1 ballads: Lost In Your Eyes and Foolish Beat.

More modern ballads: Cry Tonight, Naturally.

Pure pop heaven: Shake Your Love, Only In My Dreams, Out Of The Blue, Anything Is Possible.

Sexy and grown up: Losin' Myself.

Gospel tinged: Butterflies Are Free.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12496
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby Goldmoney » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:33 pm

Only In My Dreams is the shiz tbh :oops:
User avatar
Goldmoney
Legend
 
Posts: 20223
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009
Location: aRatchet Street

Postby HotPotato » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:04 pm

I bought Colored Lights but only played it a couple of times - I'd take the theatrical Too Fancy over any of the tracks on it.

I know we can all compile our own these days, but I always wish there was a more extensive Greatest Hits album for Debbie. This is something Japan is great at and yet still nothing that I know of.

Yes the one released covers the main hits, but it does a disservice to the later work - even just focusing on the missing singles We Could Be Together, One Step Ahead, Shock Your Mama, Free Me, For Better Or Worse and Your Secret are sorely missed. And don't get me started on the Masters At Work mix of Losin' Myself - the original is already perfection! One of the things I love most about Losin' Myself is the unexpected punchy arrangement of verse two when it could easily have repeated the brooding structure of verse one.
This ain't gon be easy
User avatar
HotPotato
Manager
 
Posts: 2099
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013

Postby RayRay » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:11 am

Goldmoney wrote:Only In My Dreams is the shiz tbh :oops:
Yes, a classic. She wrote some of her best songs when she was just a teenager.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12496
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby AlmondBreeze » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Nooooooooo...The Euro version (I didn't even know it was called that) of Whitney's I'm Your Baby Tonight is THE WORST! :D I remember hearing the US radio version on the radio and then rushing to buy the album the day it was released and then zooming home to pop it in the CD player and then hearing the "Euro" version and thinking "WTF is this piano bar $#it!?!?" :D :D I only finally got the US version in my collection when the digital age came !

Tina Arena is wonderful. Her version of Show Me Heaven is divine, as is her Heaven Help My Heart. I remember hearing her version of the latter and thinking..."hey, how come this sounds so familiar?" and then realising it was a cover of a song performed by Wynona. And Burn is genious. I also like her version of I Want To Know What Love Is and her new verse and it was my favourite version until Mariah did hers and blew me away with her version of the climax. Yes, Mariah's version is too short but now, whenever I hear Tina's version, I feel like it just goes on and on and on... :D

Debbie was one of my early faves. Such a bright youthful voice, perfect diction and great energy and wonderfully written pure pop songs. Loved her first three albums and would listen to them endlessly.
User avatar
AlmondBreeze
Manager
 
Posts: 1368
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015

Return to Personal Charts