Martin's Top 100 Artists of All Time

Moderators: trebor, tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby martinp » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:47 pm

Welcome to my Top 100 artists of all time! Most people will know who's up high, but I'll show you all the rest! :D

100. Texas
First off in my chart we have Scottish rockers Texas :D.They first made a big impression on the charts in 1989 with their top 10 hit "I Don't Want A Lover", but it wasn't until eight years later that they had their second big hit, "Say What You Want" which got to number 3.
After that they had a string of six top ten hits, including "Halo", "Black Eyed Boy" and "In Our Lifetime". Since then they have had more top ten hits, including "Carnival Girl", taken from their "Careful What You Wish For" album.

My favourite: In Our Lifetime

99. Good Charlotte
Girls don't like boys, girls like cars and moneeeeeey! Next up it's punk rockers Good Charlotte. They first appeared in the UK in early 2003 with their single "Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous" which didn't really impress me, but it soon grew on me. Their second single, "Girls And Boys" which was released in May 2003 did even better than the previous single and it had a weird but amazing video! :o They then went on to release two more singles - one of which went top 20!

My favourite: Girls And Boys

98. Jewel
Jewel hasn't really seemed to be immensely famous in the UK :( I thought her popularity would be boosted by the release of her last single "Intuition", but it failed to chart in the top 40. It's a shame that Jewel isn't recognised in the UK, because she's so talented and a lot better than some acts around at the moment!

My favourite: Intuition

97. Ricky Martin
Now we come to Latin superstar Ricky Martin. He's been around for a while, but he released his first UK single in September 1997, "(Un, Dos, Tres) Maria which reached #6 but had little success in 1998 with "The Cup Of Life". Ricky failed to impress me then though! He shot straight back into the spotlight in the Summer of 1999 with "Livin' La Vida Loca" which became one of the biggest songs of that year. I still wasn't impressed. It wasn't until 2000 when I started to like him, when he released "Private Emotion" with Meja and "She Bangs", which I thought were really good. Then he duetted with an artist that is still to come, Miss Christina "Dirrty chaps" Aguilera, to provide my favourite Ricky Martin song!

My favourite: Nobody Wants To Be Lonely (with Christina Aguilera)

96. Jamelia
To finish today, we come to the R 'n' B girl of the moment - Jamelia. She had little chart success with "I Do" which reached #34, but she was blasted into the public eye, with a little help from Beenie Man, with her top 5 hit "Money" in 2000. Her biggest UK hit is recent single "Superstar" which has been up and down the charts, debuting at #8, but finally reaching #3. And to top it all off she's been nominated for a 2004 Brit Award!

My favourite: Money

More tomorrow :D
martinp
Legend

Postby matthew_dixon » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:01 pm

Some good artists to start off the list, from a variety of sources.

Texas - legendary, really good act - just bought the greatest hits package

Good Charlotte - not amazing, but they've had some good songs out.

Jewel - don't know enough to comment

Ricky Martin - Done some good songs - sorry, that choice isn't one of them though

Jamelia - "Money" was amazing, so is "Superstar" - other tracks from her are okay.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Tiger » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:09 pm

I love Jewel! She was in my Top 20 artists ever, I think she's a very unique songwriter and her earlier material is fantastic. Maybe even better than the latter!

Woo for Jewel 8-)
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:07 pm

Woo especially for Jewel!

Also, for Ricky Martin and Good Charlotte too!
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Dazzle » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:22 pm

I love all 5! :o My fave is texas I think!
When you left I lost a part of me, It's still so hard to believe
Come back baby please cos We belong together

June 27th
Dazzle
Legend

Postby ollie44 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:37 pm

Texas - Not one of my fave bands but Say What You want is a classic and it always gets stuck in my head. Lovin it!

Good Charlotte - they're a good band, I like their first two singles. Girls and Boys is a very good song!

Jewel - can't really comment seeing as I've never heard her music :-?

Ricky Martin - Finally : I thought I was one of the only people to like the duet with Xtina. He's good but he's got a bit porky now and the hair is a bit messed up!

Jamelia - I'm lovin this girl at the moment. As long as I like Thank You then I will probably end up getting the album. Does anyone have a link to Thank You? Superstar was one of my fave songs last year :wink:

Good so far, hopin for some UKMix faves (Delta, Xtina, Britney, Mariah, BEP, Whtiney and Will) up at the top there. Okay, so they aren't all UKMix faves but they're my faves! :wink:
ollie44
Superstar

Postby martinp » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:49 pm

95. Stereophonics
The Stereophonics are the first of two Welsh groups on my chart. (Woo! :D) I haven't really been a massive fan of the Phonics, but they have had a lot of really good singles. They have had huge success with their albums "Word Gets Around", "Performance And Cocktails" (their best), "Just Enough Education To Perform" and "You Gotta Go There To Come Back", while their biggest hit to date was "Handbags And Gladrags" which got to #4 but stuck around for aaages! Then they sacked drummer Stuart Cable in 2003 (why? :-? :lol:) They're releasing their next single "Movie Star" in February :D

My favourite: Have A Nice Day

94. Hear'Say
WARNING! Cheesy pop starts here *hides* Yes I must admit, I was a big fan of the Popstars winners (although look out for the "Flopstars" later on in my chart). Hear'Say are really the Flopstars though! They only lasted just over a year, and they were doomed when Kym Marsh (who also appears a little bit later) left the band, who was clearly the best in the group! They did have some really good songs though, but can someone please explain to me why they released only 2 singles from their debut album??

My favourite: Sweet Alibi

93. Scooch
Two cheesy acts for the price of one! :wink: Back in...2000 (:o) I thought Scooch were really good! I think they had some really good singles, and their album was quite good too! :oops: And to top it off the blonde girl was nice looking :lol: Their first single "When My Baby" flopped at #29 in the UK, but they came back big time with "More Than I Needed To Know" in early 2000 which got into the top 5. They then had a string of top 20 hits (err 2 or 3 :lol:) and suddenly disappeared! I suspect they're all working in McDonalds now!

My favourite: For Sure

92. Mary J Blige
Scooch finished the cheesy part of today (thankfully) and we continue with a more serious artist, miss Mary J Blige! She's one of the best R&B female artists around, and should be well respected! Her biggest hit single is probably "Family Affair", released back in 2001, but she had success with George Michael with the simple titled "As". In 2003 she released her latest album "Love And Life" along with comeback single "Love @ 1st Sight". It's not her best stuff, but I like it! :D

My favourite: Give Me You

91. Kaci
Woooo! It's Kaci! :D Kaci first entered our lives in 2001 with her infectious top 20 hit "Paradise" which I thought was brilliant, and then she released her second single "Tu Amor" which I thought was OK. She then disappeared for a few months and returned with her biggest single to date, "I Think I Love You" in 2002. She then flopped in Summer 2003 with "I'm Not Anybody's Girl" taken from the flop film "A View From The Top" and then she disappeared completely! :o

My favourite: I Think I Love You

That's it for today :D
martinp
Legend

Postby philruck » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:50 pm

Woo! for Jamelia getting in there, and I also was quite a Scooch fan :oops:
philruck
Superstar

Postby Tiger » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:57 pm

Have to say I liked Kaci when she was around. Didn't know you were such a big Hearsay fan though

My CHART
Tiger

Postby Terence » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:54 pm

Woo! Let's see:

Texas - I like them - they've had wicked classics, and she shares half of my surname so... woo!

Good Charlotte - One ok single and the rest... meh. Pass! :o

Jewel - I like what I've heard from her. Shame she is a flopping artist! :cry:

Ricky Martin - He's more on the "perfid artists" side, though I soooo love "Private Emotion"! Well, apart from the sexy babe in the video, the song's good! :lol:

Jamelia - I need to listen to more of her music I guess. I love "Superstar", "Money", "Boy Next Door"... everything really!

Stereophonics - :o! Shocking to be here! (They shouldn't! :lol:) Anyway, next artist!

Hear'Say - ok, "Pure And Simple" was ... excellent :oops: but that's about it really!

Scooch - :evil:

Mary J Blige - not that familiar with her earlier stuff, but the rest is good! 8-)

Kaci - not bad, but not the "new Jennfier Lopez", like she was branded by Smash Hits or whoever said that!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby king_oxymoron » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:01 pm

Texas - Don'y like them
Good Charlotte - They're OK
Jewel - Liked Stand, but thats all
Ricky Martin - He's not bad!
Jamelia - She's brilliant!
Stereophonics - Great band!
Hear'Say - Good quality!
Scooch - Yeah! They were OK
Mary J Blige - Not her biggest fan!
Kaci - WOoooooooooooo!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:02 pm

Woo especially for Mary J. Blige and Stereophonics, but also to a lesser extent Kaci!
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby martinp » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:43 pm

Here's today's five :D

90. Christina Milian
Kicking off today we have one of the best artists of 2002 - Miss Christina Milian :D She was due to release her first single "AM To PM" in 2001 but it somehow got delayed :-? It finally got a release in early 2002 and gave her a big top 3 hit. She got another one of those in June of the same year with the brilliant "When You Look At Me" and duetted with Romeo of So Solid Crew for her third single "It's All Gravy". Then she disappeared! :cry: But she 's due to release fourth single "Dip It Out" this year. I haven't heard it yet but I will do soon!

My favourite: When You Look At Me

89. R Kelly
Come on everybody, bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce! :o It's everyone's favourite child molester, but one of the greatest male R&B singers of the past ten years, R Kelly makes the top 90 on my chart. I'm not really a fan of his more hip-hop stuff (like Thoia Thoing etc) but he's had some classic songs, his most famous being his two number ones, "I Believe I Can Fly" and more recently "Ignition (Remix)". He's even duetted with Celine Dion, what more could he ask for? :lol:

My favourite: I Believe I Can Fly

88. S Club 8
:oops: :oops: :oops: More embarrassing than Scooch! :oops: I admit it, I like Satan's Spawn! The only single of theirs that I hate is the dreadful Puppy Love (and most would agree). I almost bought their first single "One Step Closer" but I wanted the Sugababes' "Freak Like Me" to be number one :lol: They had three #2 hits in 2002, and have had six consecutive top 10 hits. Their latest single "Don't Tell Me You're Sorry" just missed out on the top 10 a few weeks ago!

My favourite: Don't Tell Me You're Sorry

87. Dannii Minogue
Put The Needle On It :o Kylie's sister with the fake chest enters my chart at #87! Dannii has had some really good singles, but I'm not really a fan of her newer stuff. She returned in 2002 with "Put The Needle On It" and then had her biggest hit "I Begin To Wonder" in 2003, beating the likes of Nelly and Eminem to get a #2 position! Oh, and there's that rude song on the album :lol:

My favourite: All I Wanna Do

86. Lene Marlin
We finish today with Lene Marlin, who first had big success with "Sitting Down Here" in 2000 (or was it 1999? :-?) 2000 I think! Then she got another top 20 hit "Unforgivable Sinner" and then flopped with her next single, "Where I'm Headed". She went away for a while and returned in 2003 with "You Weren't There" which didn't even go top 40! I didn't really like that song but she deserved at least top 40!

My favourite: Sitting Down Here
martinp
Legend

Postby Tiger » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:58 pm

Lene and Dannii! I love em both 8-)

My CHART
Tiger

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:49 pm

Christina Milian: she's had a couple good songs like "AM To PM" and "Dip It Low"

R. Kelly: no matter how much trouble he gets in, he still puts out great songs, especially "I Believe I Can Fly" and "Ignition"

S Club 8: :evil: :evil: :evil: can't stand those little devils!

Dannii Minogue: she's pretty good, especially "I Begin To Wonder"

Lene Marlin: not too familiar with her, but I do like "Unforgivable Sinner"
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby matthew_dixon » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:38 pm

Woooooo for the Stereophonics, R Kelly, and errrr Kaci :oops:

:oops: okay, I'll leave now *gets coat*

Oh, before I go - a massive boooo to including S Club 8, Scooch and Hear'say :o (even if "Pure and Simple" was actually pretty damn goon)
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Terence » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:59 pm

Yay for Lene Marlin! 8-)

Well, "Sitting Down Here" was out in 1999 but then it got a UK release in 2000 so you can it can be either year. :-?

Dannii and Christina are ok... :-? , and woo for R Kelly!

Let's pretend that the other artist/s you mentioned is invisible! :evil:
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby martinp » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:28 pm

Here's today's five :D

85. Ronan Keating
Starting my top 85 today is ex-Boyzone star Ronan Keating! He first released a solo single in August 1999 with "When You Say Nothing At All" providing him with a big number one. His second single "Life Is A Rollercoaster" was equally as big. Since then he has had a string of top 10 hits including his third number one "If Tomorrow Never Comes" in 2002. He's due to release "She Believes In Me" in February!

My favourite: Lovin' Each Day

84. Robbie Williams
And ANOTHER ex-band member :o And probably the richest and most famous of all! Robbie just keeps pouring out the hit singles and albums! His biggest hits include "She's The One", "Something Stupid", "Millenium", "Eternity" and of course "Let Me Entertain You"! He's definitely one of th best UK male artists around!

My favourite: Sexed Up

83. Kym Marsh
Continuing with the ex-band members... Kym's music is definitely better than Hear'Say's! :o She left Hear'Say in early 2002, and got her first hit single in 2003 with "Cry" which went to #2. Her follow-up was "Come On Over" which also got into the top 10. Her album "Standing Tall" went to number nine, and her third and best single "Sentimental" flopped at #35! :cry: Now she's been dropped (I think) :cry:

My favourite: Sentimental

82. Lasgo
I was not impressed when Belgian dance act Lasgo released their first single "Something" in 2002. I thought it was a typical European dance track, but when they released the amazing "Alone" in the Summer of the same year my mind was definitely changed! They released another single called "Pray" in late 2002 and then they went away! I guess they're still famous in the rest of Europe :-?

My favourite: Alone

81. Lutricia McNeal
Lutricia release her first single in late 1997 with "Ain't That Just The Way" which did well in the charts, and in 1998 she released her biggest and best ever hit, "Stranded" which was awesome! She's released some other brilliant songs though, like "The Greatest Love You'll Never Know" and "Someone Loves You Honey" err and thats it...:-? And now she's disappeared like a lot of acts on my list!

My favourite: Stranded
martinp
Legend

Postby LostAvenger » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:32 pm

FreakyFlyBry wrote:
S Club 8: :evil: :evil: :evil: can't stand those little devils!
That's priceless, Bry :D
LostAvenger
Legend

Postby Tiger » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:53 pm

Robbie Williams and Kym Marsh are truly great 8-) Not familiar with the other 3 though :-?

My CHART
Tiger

Postby matthew_dixon » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:10 pm

Ronan Keating is good vocally, not too many songs I'm a massive fan of from him.

Robbie proves all the doubters wrong time after time. He's a modern day legend who can't put a foot wrong. However, he does know it a bit too much.

Kym Marsh - not done enough to go into a list of all time for me, but each to their own, and she's had two really good songs last year

Lasgo - ditto really, though less on the "good singles" bit :lol;.

However...

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Lutricia McNeal is amazing! Dunno if I've asked you before but have you got the "Lutricia McNeal" album? What about her second album - "What'cha Been Doing?"

When's this long awaited comeback gonna happen?

Anyway - amazing to see her in your list.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:14 pm

I liked Ronan Keating much better than Boyzone... "Lovin' Each Day" is my favourite from him too.

As for Robbie Williams, he's had many great songs, I like him better than Take That. "Millennium", "Angels", and "Feel" are among my favourites from him.

Not too familiar with Kym Marsh, but I liked "Sentimental".

Lasgo had some good tunes, especially "Something" and "Alone".

And from what I've heard, Lutricia McNeal's alright too.
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:44 pm

martinp wrote: 88. S Club 8
My favourite: Don't Tell Me You're Sorry

That's fast becoming my favourite too, wooo for this little lot!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Terence » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:57 pm

Yay for Robbie! :D

I agree with Matthew - wooooooo for Lutricia! I don't know much of her stuff, hence why I did not include her, but "Stranded" is hella perfect! 8-)
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby McDreams » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:28 am

Wooooooooooo Martin for Lutricia and Lasgo :D Two of my faves too! :D
Can't make decisions, I could use some more distractions today..
McDreams
Manager

Return to Personal Charts