Akini's Tribute to Janet Jackson: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

From which album is my favourite Janet Jackson song lifted?

Janet Jackson
8%
Dream Street
15%
Control
No votes
Rhythm Nation 1814
No votes
janet.
31%
The Velvet Rope
38%
All for You
No votes
Damita Jo
8%
20 Y.O.
No votes
Discipline
No votes
Unbreakable
No votes

Total votes : 13

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:09 pm

One of the most successful female artists in music history, before Janet Jackson could conquer the charts, she first had to emerge from the shadow of her famous big brother. She managed to do so, and the dance, pop, and R&B landscapes were forever changed as a result. With a career spanning four decades, 11 studio albums, 46 music videos, and more than 170 tracks, the time has come to pay homage to one of the most influential acts in the industry.

She's the dance queen; the architect of groovy erotica, and lush and timeless melodies; a technician of the greatest proficiency in understated vocal stylings; and a magnanimous survivor of two of the gravest social ills, both of which she rebuked throughout the years in her discography. So join me in celebrating the legacy of one of music's finest, Ms. Janet Damita Jo Jackson.

My Tribute to Janet Jackson: [#1 Revealed!]

I lost myself to music at a very early age, and I remained there.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Very excited about this! :D
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:28 pm

I think the top 2 songs will contain the word ‘if’
biscuits
The Diva

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:30 pm

I'll try to avoid saying this in every single one of my posts, but the caliber of your commentaries is as sky-high as ever! That second paragraph in particular really makes it clear why you considered "icon" a serious understatement.

I went with janet. for the poll, since that covers potential candidates like "If," "That's The Way Love Goes," and "This Time" - but I could just as easily see it going in a few different directions. Hype! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Well i know for sure which Janet Jackson song is my all time favourite. Voted for the parent album in the hope it might just triumph here but my gut feeling is that it really could be anything! :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Erotica » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:27 pm

I am excited for this :) will be really interesting :) I voted for janet. though I hope the winner is from a different album 8-) (my favourite one)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:43 am

Erotica wrote:I am excited for this :) will be really interesting :) I voted for janet. though I hope the winner is from a different album 8-) (my favourite one)
Your favourite comes from The Velvet Rope 8-)
biscuits
The Diva

Postby NothingFails » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Janet is awesome, a countdown should be nice

I'm guessing probably your favorite track is off "janet"
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:00 pm

biscuits wrote:
Erotica wrote:I am excited for this :) will be really interesting :) I voted for janet. though I hope the winner is from a different album 8-) (my favourite one)
yes exactly :)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks for all the interest, guys! This starts today! 8-)

biscuits wrote:Very excited about this! :D
As am I! :D

biscuits wrote:I think the top 2 songs will contain the word ‘if’
Hmm...we'll see.

I looked over your Janet countdown from 2012 again, and I look forward to your reactions to some of my rankings.

phoenix98 wrote:I'll try to avoid saying this in every single one of my posts, but the caliber of your commentaries is as sky-high as ever! That second paragraph in particular really makes it clear why you considered "icon" a serious understatement.

I went with janet. for the poll, since that covers potential candidates like "If," "That's The Way Love Goes," and "This Time" - but I could just as easily see it going in a few different directions. Hype! :D
Aw, you're too sweet, Paul! <3

Honestly, janet. is a solid pick because it has some massive singles on it, but we'll see!

JakeP wrote:Well i know for sure which Janet Jackson song is my all time favourite. Voted for the parent album in the hope it might just triumph here but my gut feeling is that it really could be anything! :lol:
I think you mentioned before that it's "Together Again". Is my memory serving me right?

Erotica wrote:
biscuits wrote:
yes exactly :)
The Velvet Rope is definitely a classic album. Let's see!

NothingFails wrote:Janet is awesome, a countdown should be nice

I'm guessing probably your favorite track is off "janet"
Everyone seems to be going with that album! :lol:

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:47 pm

JSparksFan wrote:
JakeP wrote:Well i know for sure which Janet Jackson song is my all time favourite. Voted for the parent album in the hope it might just triumph here but my gut feeling is that it really could be anything! :lol:
I think you mentioned before that it's "Together Again". Is my memory serving me right?
Yes, i adore Together again but i suspect it's too obvious a song choice to be your #1. Would love to be proved wrong though. :P My other big favourite is The best things in life are free but unsure whether duets will qualify here. I also loved All for you (the single) but never checked out the parent album.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:15 pm

JakeP wrote:
JSparksFan wrote:
Yes, i adore Together again but i suspect it's too obvious a song choice to be your #1. Would love to be proved wrong though. :P My other big favourite is The best things in life are free but unsure whether duets will qualify here. I also loved All for you (the single) but never checked out the parent album.
Once she's a joint-lead act on the song, and not just a featured artist, it's eligible here, so "The Best Things in Life Are Free" will be featured.

All for You definitely deserves a listen! Its title track isn't even the best song on it. :wink:

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:16 pm

I combed through all of Janet's studio albums, greatest hits collections, B-sides, and her unreleased tracks (which biscuits was kind enough to share!), and I've tallied 174 songs. I might've missed a song or two, but hopefully nothing significant was untouched.

The first batch will feature 14 tracks; thereafter, I'll drop batches of 10 songs daily 'til we reach the meat of the countdown, the Top 100, where I'll slow the pace and aim for five songs daily. I'll hold off on the write-ups until we reach that stage. If I'm able to stick to my timeline, the #1 should be ready for revelation to coincide with Janet's birthday (May 16), but let's see what happens. Thanks again to everyone for joining me on this expedition. :D

174. French Blue - 6/10

173. Girlfriend/Boyfriend (with Blackstreet) [feat. Eve & Ja Rule] - 6/10

172. Rock 'n' Roll - 6/10

171. Lessons Learned - 6.2/10

170. Work - 6.2/10

169. Pops Up - 6.2/10

168. Show Me - 6.7/10

167. Dream Maker/Euphoria - 6.7/10

166. Truly - 6.7/10

165. Fast Girls - 6.7/10

164. The Beat of Black Wings - 6.7/10

163. Love and My Best Friend - 6.8/10

162. The 1 (feat. Missy Elliott) - 6.8/10

161. You Ain't Right - 6.8/10

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:26 pm

Let me subscribe and follow this.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:18 am

Kinda surprised at how low You Ain't Right is. Definitely a killer intro to the AFY album

Lessons Learned and Show Me are nice too

The 1 is one of my least faves
NothingFails
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 pm

• So "French Blue" is just a mash-up of "Pretty Boy" and "Fast Girls"? Yeah, I'm completely fine with that coming in last. :lol:
• I'm typically not too bothered by guest appearances falling toward the lower end of an act's ranking, and after revisiting "Girlfriend/Boyfriend," it definitely belongs down here. The pinball video was pretty fun, though.
• "Lessons Learned" placing at No. 171 of 174 is easily the biggest shocker in this first batch :o Did it just strike you as a much less impactful "What About" retread? Even still, seeing it below the likes of "Love And My Best Friend" is tough to swallow. :-?
• The way she sings "actions speak louder than worRrRrds" in "Show Me" is really catchy, but so much of that track is just so irritating/grating, like all the "How bad do you WANT it? How bad do you NEED it?" repetition, and that awful "B.A.C.K.I.T.U.P." breakdown bit.
• The most (well, only) memorable thing about "The 1" is Missy's opening bit. "Yup, that'll do..."
• "You Ain't Right" ain't so bad, but I do remember often skipping over it just to get right to "All For You" :lol: (and then "Come On Get Up," etc.)
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:05 am

Nippian93 wrote:Let me subscribe and follow this.
Ah, thanks for subscribing! Hope you enjoy it. :D

NothingFails wrote:Kinda surprised at how low You Ain't Right is. Definitely a killer intro to the AFY album

Lessons Learned and Show Me are nice too

The 1 is one of my least faves
"You Ain't Right" is a bit noisy for me. Thankfully, the album is significantly better than the first track indicates.

Glad we're in accord with the other three you mentioned.

phoenix98 wrote:• So "French Blue" is just a mash-up of "Pretty Boy" and "Fast Girls"? Yeah, I'm completely fine with that coming in last. :lol:
• I'm typically not too bothered by guest appearances falling toward the lower end of an act's ranking, and after revisiting "Girlfriend/Boyfriend," it definitely belongs down here. The pinball video was pretty fun, though.
• "Lessons Learned" placing at No. 171 of 174 is easily the biggest shocker in this first batch :o Did it just strike you as a much less impactful "What About" retread? Even still, seeing it below the likes of "Love And My Best Friend" is tough to swallow. :-?
• The way she sings "actions speak louder than worRrRrds" in "Show Me" is really catchy, but so much of that track is just so irritating/grating, like all the "How bad do you WANT it? How bad do you NEED it?" repetition, and that awful "B.A.C.K.I.T.U.P." breakdown bit.
• The most (well, only) memorable thing about "The 1" is Missy's opening bit. "Yup, that'll do..."
• "You Ain't Right" ain't so bad, but I do remember often skipping over it just to get right to "All For You" :lol: (and then "Come On Get Up," etc.)
What makes "French Blue" so tedious for me is its length! If it were cut in half, it might not have earned the dishonour of being my least favourite JJ track, but six and a half minutes of it is...a lot!

"Girlfriend/Boyfriend" is repetitive and uneventful - a skip-worthy combination.

"Lessons Learned" definitely touches on a heavy topic, but the melody and Janet's vocals sound so lifeless to me. I suppose the aim was to convey a tone of resignation, but "What About" does a far better job of covering this topic, melodically and lyrically, though I don't think I rated "Lessons Learned" harshly using "What About" as the standard for Janet songs on abuse.

I do love that Missy opening line! Coincidentally, seven inches works for me, too!

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:06 am

160. So Much Betta - 6.8/10

159. Skin Game - 6.8/10

158. Nothing - 6.8/10

157. Do It 2 Me - 6.8/10

156. Communication - 6.9/10

155. Hold Back the Tears - 7/10

154. Broken Hearts Heal - 7/10

153. Funky Big Band - 7/10

152. Don't Mess Up This Good Thing - 7/10

151. Ask for More - 7/10

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:19 am

I'lll admit that other than a couple of the albums that I have, I don't know much about her album tracks.

i confess a guilty pleasure of mine is Girlfriend/Boyfriend, and there it goes, just barely avoiding dead last :lol:
It's time for the 2000-2009 Female-Led Singles Countdown!
and my Top 100 Artists countdown!
More? How about a survivor based on a countdown?
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Erotica » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:32 am

So much betta is a really good song :)
Erotica
Legend

Postby biscuits » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:45 am

My #174 would be 1/10. You are very generous
biscuits
The Diva

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:00 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I do love that Missy opening line! Coincidentally, seven inches works for me, too!
:o :lol: Your GIF selection is always as on-point as your write-ups!

• "So Much Betta" somehow works much betta than I'd expect. Instead of getting really annoying really quickly, those vocal effects in the chorus actually help the song stick out in a good way for me. It was a smart call to cut the track before the 3-minute-mark, though, because dragging it out for too long would've ruined the quirky catchy charm this track (surprisingly) has for me.
• Aw, "Nothing" is so...soft, sweet, tender. I can see how that's not enough to keep it from getting lost/trampled in the shuffle, though.
• Those oh-so-80's digitized sound effects in "Communication" are so damn adorkable, but most of the lyrics/messages are still as relevant as ever. Janet dropping some social media commentary decades ahead of the trend. ;)
janet. offers so much diversity - just the journey from "Throb" to "What'll I Do" to "Funky Big Band" takes you all over the musical map. FBB is something so unexpected...but I can't say that I actually enjoy it much.
• I don't have particularly strong positive feelings for anything on her debut, but "Don't Mess Up This Good Thing" does more for me than the likes of "Forever Yours," "The Magic Is Working," and the aforementioned "Love And My Best Friend." Its placement on the album makes it an especially welcome burst of energy/attitude between two especially dull moments.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:21 am

cheapthrills wrote:I'lll admit that other than a couple of the albums that I have, I don't know much about her album tracks.

i confess a guilty pleasure of mine is Girlfriend/Boyfriend, and there it goes, just barely avoiding dead last :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Girlfriend/Boyfriend" stays stuck in gear one for me, but I hope your other Janet faves rank high here.

Erotica wrote:So much betta is a really good song :)
It's just okay for me, but hopefully there are some songs in this next batch you enjoy.

biscuits wrote:My #174 would be 1/10. You are very generous
Aw, thanks! 1/10 is a bit harsh, though. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote: :o :lol: Your GIF selection is always as on-point as your write-ups!
Aw, thank you.

phoenix98 wrote:• "So Much Betta" somehow works much betta than I'd expect. Instead of getting really annoying really quickly, those vocal effects in the chorus actually help the song stick out in a good way for me. It was a smart call to cut the track before the 3-minute-mark, though, because dragging it out for too long would've ruined the quirky catchy charm this track (surprisingly) has for me.
The song could've been a minute shorter, and it would've worked betta for me.

phoenix98 wrote:• Aw, "Nothing" is so...soft, sweet, tender. I can see how that's not enough to keep it from getting lost/trampled in the shuffle, though.
And that's exactly what happened!

phoenix98 wrote:• Those oh-so-80's digitized sound effects in "Communication" are so damn adorkable, but most of the lyrics/messages are still as relevant as ever. Janet dropping some social media commentary decades ahead of the trend. ;)
A lot of Janet's 80s songs are still relevant today; sadly, all the songs about negative societal issues are still relevant. :(

phoenix98 wrote:janet. offers so much diversity - just the journey from "Throb" to "What'll I Do" to "Funky Big Band" takes you all over the musical map. FBB is something so unexpected...but I can't say that I actually enjoy it much.
Glad it's not a big loss for you.

phoenix98 wrote:• I don't have particularly strong positive feelings for anything on her debut, but "Don't Mess Up This Good Thing" does more for me than the likes of "Forever Yours," "The Magic Is Working," and the aforementioned "Love And My Best Friend." Its placement on the album makes it an especially welcome burst of energy/attitude between two especially dull moments.
It's not a big favourite of mine from 'early Janet', but maybe it'll grow on me one of these days.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:30 am

150. Rollercoaster - 7/10

149. Greatest X - 7/10

148. Special - 7/10

147. Anything - 7/10

146. Free Xone - 7/10

145. Get It Out Me - 7.1/10

144. Curtains - 7.1/10

143. Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make) - 7.1/10

142. Call on Me (feat. Nelly) - 7.1/10

141. Tonight's the Night - 7.1/10

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:30 pm

• “Greatest X” was one of the instant standouts when I first picked up Discipline, but much like “Nothing,” it’s hard to really defend here. We hadn’t gotten such a poppy/AC ballad like it from her in a while (well, aside from “Never Letchu Go” on the same album), and it just really grabbed my ear (especially the way she sings "tomorroowww...")

• “Special” is one of the few (only?) times that The Velvet Rope steers into dangerously “cheesy” territory for me. The album's titular metaphor is so clever and meaningful, that a song like this structured around lines as straightforward as “I have the need to feel real special” seems almost…beneath her? The children's choir really pushes it past the point of saccharine :oops: I can understand her wanting to end the album on a more positive/hopeful note, but this particular offering always felt especially unworthy as the closing number to such an epic, impactful album (hidden/bonus tracks aside).

• “Free Xone” has always been a tad too quirky/eclectic/scattered-sounding for me. I appreciate the attempt to advocate for us, though.

• When I was first glancing through this latest group, I was sure that “Get It Out Me” had already appeared. Aside from “So Excited,” that stretch of underwhelming uptempos at the start of 2O Y.O. REALLY blur together for me. For an artist who’s delivered so many legendary dance moments, she somehow managed to churn out several of her all-time-weakest bangers in one go. :x

• “Call On Me” is cute. Deliberately designed to be another “Dilemma”? Probably, but it felt like a refreshing change of pace for a lead single after “All For You” (or if you count “Doesn’t Really Matter”) and “Just A Little While.” I always enjoyed having Nelly’s body on display right on the cover too :oops: #sidenip

• “Tonight’s The Night” definitely deserves better. So seductive, so sultry, so sexxxy (and even a touch sorrowful toward the end). Not to mention just plain catchy. The fact that she mentions both a male and female partner throughout the course of the song really stood out to me when I first discovering TVR as a blossoming gay teen. Admittedly, I’ve never checked out the original version.
phoenix98
Legend

Return to Personal Charts