Akini's Tribute to Janet Jackson: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

From which album is my favourite Janet Jackson song lifted?

Janet Jackson
7%
Dream Street
14%
Control
No votes
Rhythm Nation 1814
7%
janet.
29%
The Velvet Rope
36%
All for You
No votes
Damita Jo
7%
20 Y.O.
No votes
Discipline
No votes
Unbreakable
No votes

Total votes : 14

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:37 am

Back to the main songs countdown we go!

020. You Need Me

The highest ranking 'unreleased' song on the countdown (it was a B-side to "Miss You Much", but never made it onto the parent album), "You Need Me" is a rare, direct addressal of the relationship Janet shares with her infamous father. She speaks about her father's emotional unavailability, neglect, absenteeism, and anger issues - all this in the first verse alone - and indirectly acknowledges the irony of him finally needing her, when he wasn't there for her the way she needed him to be during the early stages of her life. I love Janet's reaction to his reconciliation attempt: Now you try to give, I'm always reaching out to grab, I'll give you what I can, but I can't give what I don't have. Sometimes there's little to salvage from a wrecked relationship, but despite the anger Janet expresses in "You Need Me", the overriding theme is forgiveness. Family can be messed up, but the fractured unions are almost always worth an attempt at mending. I love how Janet acknowledges how her mother made up for her father's failures, being there for her when he wasn't, guiding and advising her, and Janet even goes so far as to attack her father for not only failing in his parental role, but also in his spousal one. Sometimes one good parent is all you need, and it's great that Janet had her mother. 9/10
019. BURNITUP! (feat. Missy Elliott)

One of the biggest high-energy dance tracks in Janet's catalogue, Missy Elliott does a masterful job in her role as hype-woman/opening act, setting the stage for Janet to step in, and, well, burn it up! The wild house backdrop juxtaposed with the sleek synth-bass, "BURNITUP!" is equal parts earthy and elegant to sum to a single dance masterclass performance. In a just world, this would've topped the global charts in 2015. I can say this is one of Janet's songs where I can't help but dance when I hear it; it's too infectious for words! 9.2/10
018. Unbreakable

It's the relationships we make in our lifetime that sustain us through our toughest challenges, and "Unbreakable" is a blanket dedication song to all of Janet's supporters who kept her going through the years: family, friends, fans, lovers. Within each of those four groups, she made unbreakable bonds, and this elegantly crafted mid-tempo ode is a sweet, sincere thank you message. I love Janet's vocals on the chorus; she's passionately earnest there. 9.2/10
017. No Sleeep

It's three Unbreakable songs in a row, and here is the highest-ranking track from that LP, lead single "No Sleeep". It's quite fitting that the first lyric here is plush, as that's a rather succinct description of this song, draped in the luxurious, lush melodic stylings of her good 'ol faithful, rain-loving team of Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis (plus Janet herself) and the effortlessly sensual vocals and ambitious lyrical vows made - vows we know from 30-plus years of experience that Janet is good for. Janet made mention decades ago that she brings a certain level of class to the topic of sex, and there's no song in her discography that better exemplifies that than "No Sleeep". I love it enough to ignore the unnecessarily tacked on vowel. 9.2/10
016. Rope Burn

It was only a matter of time until Janet's voyages of sensuality took her to the shores of sadomasochism and bondage, but the way Janet broaches the subject is remarkable, highlighting the vulnerability, consent, and trust involved in such experimentation, rather than lazily focusing on the raw sexual pleasure derived. There's a soulfulness and tenderness that, interspersed with the eroticism of it all, makes for a dangerous track. In fact, this track would have earned a perfect rating from me, were it not for the fairly abrupt ending; I feel like the song was heading to a magnificent climax, but Janet cuts the pleasure plug early. She leaves me in the same predicament as she herself was in at the end of "Would You Mind". 9.5/10
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby RayRay » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:58 pm

Great to see You Need Me and No Sleeep in your top 20.

I love her videos, but I never felt Scream was a great one. Certainly not her best.
RayRay
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:45 pm

• I'd never heard "You Need Me" (the chorus from Mariah's instantly plays in my head anytime I see/write that title) before your tribute (I think biscuits posted a link at some point?), and there's no denying it's an especially personal, revealing venture for Janet. She really doesn't hold back! Even if she didn't want to shape her entire next album around this concept, it's a shame that such a confessional moment got relegated to B-side status. I think I'd be even more sold on the track if it had less dead space during the chorus.

• I’m pretty shocked by your enthusiasm for “BURNITUP!” As I revisit it now, it does have more likable, infectious parts than I remembered, but I'm most surprised by your glowing review of Missy’s intro :o Missy’s not one to serve up bland, generic, Pitbull-esque verses, but that opening bit is just so distractingly ridiculous, it’s almost like she’s parodying herself. Her cat impression has me busy cringing and shaking my head before any of Janet’s enjoyable parts even get to start. I either would’ve revised some of her word choices, or pushed that part to a later point in the track (like when she pops back in just to repeat a few simple lines like “This that jam” and “Make it work.”)

• I LOVE that “Unbreakable” cover! The Control styling over a contemporary image was a brilliant idea! I still stand by my support for “Shoulda Known Better” as that album's standout, but the title track is easily its closest competition. What’s not to love about a catchy, humble, heartfelt appreciation anthem? I totally agree about her vocals in the chorus too!

• I'm a big fan of that "plush" opener (and I’ve definitely adopted it for occasional adjective usage after hearing its inclusion here.) I guess the fact that J. Cole isn’t mentioned at all conveys your feelings about his additions? And what IS the deal with that extra vowel in the title? It’s not like she drags out the word at all when she sings it. I don’t quite share your level of adoration for this track, but such a high ranking doesn’t stun me nearly as much as BIU! My favorite bit is probably: “it's gonna be a weekend marathon, so you better get ready my king, cause I’mma be the queen of insomnia...”

• "Rope Burn" is probably her all-time-catchiest sex jam (unless "If" counts, but that one seems too uptempo to call a “sex jam,” and it’s more of a...fantasy/erotic daydream jam anyway). It’s especially impressive that Janet sells me on this song SO entirely, when the thought of actually enduring rope burns is completely cringeworthy and off-putting. I’d never really thought about the abrupt ending before (perhaps it's a case of premature climax, though it’s hard to really blame him when Janet’s been talking like that). I definitely chuckled at your allusion to her “I didn’t even get to cum...” :lol:
phoenix98
Legend

Postby biscuits » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:58 pm

Why that fanmade cover for Unbreakable?
biscuits
The Diva

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:32 am

RayRay wrote:Great to see You Need Me and No Sleeep in your top 20.

I love her videos, but I never felt Scream was a great one. Certainly not her best.
Ah, glad to see that you appreciate "You Need Me"! :D

phoenix98 wrote:• I'd never heard "You Need Me" (the chorus from Mariah's instantly plays in my head anytime I see/write that title) before your tribute (I think biscuits posted a link at some point?), and there's no denying it's an especially personal, revealing venture for Janet. She really doesn't hold back! Even if she didn't want to shape her entire next album around this concept, it's a shame that such a confessional moment got relegated to B-side status. I think I'd be even more sold on the track if it had less dead space during the chorus.
Yeah, "You Need Me" was one of the unreleased songs biscuits was kind enough to link to in my daily chart thread. I totally agree that it should have had a prime spot on the parent album; it's too good to be relegated to unreleased/B-side status. As for the 'dead space', I don't know if I'd agree with that assessment, but I do like how the 'understated' (nicer version of 'dead space', I suppose :lol: ) production gives way for the lyrics and emotion to shine as the forefront spectacle.

phoenix98 wrote:• I’m pretty shocked by your enthusiasm for “BURNITUP!” As I revisit it now, it does have more likable, infectious parts than I remembered, but I'm most surprised by your glowing review of Missy’s intro :o Missy’s not one to serve up bland, generic, Pitbull-esque verses, but that opening bit is just so distractingly ridiculous, it’s almost like she’s parodying herself. Her cat impression has me busy cringing and shaking my head before any of Janet’s enjoyable parts even get to start. I either would’ve revised some of her word choices, or pushed that part to a later point in the track (like when she pops back in just to repeat a few simple lines like “This that jam” and “Make it work.”)
Missy's part is wild, and I love that wild energy contrasted with the more reserved form Janet brings to the table.

phoenix98 wrote:• I LOVE that “Unbreakable” cover! The Control styling over a contemporary image was a brilliant idea! I still stand by my support for “Shoulda Known Better” as that album's standout, but the title track is easily its closest competition. What’s not to love about a catchy, humble, heartfelt appreciation anthem? I totally agree about her vocals in the chorus too!
Glad you love the cover as much as I do; as soon as I saw it, I knew I had to use it. Glad to hear it's your second fave from Unbreakable as well. :D

phoenix98 wrote:• I'm a big fan of that "plush" opener (and I’ve definitely adopted it for occasional adjective usage after hearing its inclusion here.) I guess the fact that J. Cole isn’t mentioned at all conveys your feelings about his additions? And what IS the deal with that extra vowel in the title? It’s not like she drags out the word at all when she sings it. I don’t quite share your level of adoration for this track, but such a high ranking doesn’t stun me nearly as much as BIU! My favorite bit is probably: “it's gonna be a weekend marathon, so you better get ready my king, cause I’mma be the queen of insomnia...”
The album version without J. Cole is the version I prefer; his parts interrupt the chill vibe of the song that I like. I love that lyric you highlighted, too!

phoenix98 wrote:• "Rope Burn" is probably her all-time-catchiest sex jam (unless "If" counts, but that one seems too uptempo to call a “sex jam,” and it’s more of a...fantasy/erotic daydream jam anyway). It’s especially impressive that Janet sells me on this song SO entirely, when the thought of actually enduring rope burns is completely cringeworthy and off-putting. I’d never really thought about the abrupt ending before (perhaps it's a case of premature climax, though it’s hard to really blame him when Janet’s been talking like that). I definitely chuckled at your allusion to her “I didn’t even get to cum...” :lol:
Yay at this glowing review for "Rope Burn"! And I totally agree with your "If" classification. Also glad I made you chuckle. :D

biscuits wrote:Why that fanmade cover for Unbreakable?
Because of (my) love (for it)! :lol:
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:27 am

015. Miss You Much

Janet's most successful US single of her career, "Miss You Much" combines the new jack swing sound of that album's era with irresistible dance-pop sensibilities. The entire song is terrific, but that chorus is just something special, one of the most remarkable of her career. When you're in love, you just want to share that euphoria with everyone, and the I'll tell your mama, I'll tell your friends, I'll tell anyone whose heart can comprehend captures that spirit perfectly. I also love the thinly veiled threat of I'm not the type of girl who likes to be alone, as she's letting her lover know that though she does have strong feelings for him, she's not closed to the idea of entertaining someone in his place. #bringyobacksidehome 9.5/10
014. Rhythm Nation

Janet's biggest anthem, "Rhythm Nation" is the kind of song powerful enough to spark a revolution. Music bridges so many gaps, and the notion of using music to unite people from all different backgrounds to dispel forces that seek to divide and take advantage of that disunity is a powerful, alluring concept. The chorus is classic, but I actually think it's outshined by the verses. Her conviction there is unmatched elsewhere. Janet's Sing it! adlibs in the bridge and towards the end are also highlights. 9.5/10
013. Love Will Never Do (Without You)

Just like the last batch, we have three singles from the same album in a row, and this time it's Rhythm Nation that has its final track fall in the form of "Love Will Never Do (Without You)". There are few poppier, more sublime moments in Janet's discography than this gem, and even though it's not a social issues 'anthem' kind of song, it does highlight one of my favourite topics - love - particularly love that endures petty squabbles, doubt and lack of support from outside forces, and even the 'competition' from other parties. There's a tinkling, music-box-esque sound that's so charming (I believe it was generated by what's known as a 'Mirage keyboard'), and I think this is one of the songs in her discography that brilliantly showcases her full vocal range. 9.5/10
012. If It Takes All Night

A long way from its next best sister track, "If It Takes All Night" is my clear, runaway favourite from its Dream Street parent album. No less than two of you thought this had a good chance to win, but I'm sure far more are probably wondering what in heavens this is doing at #12 ahead of so many of her critically acclaimed jewel tracks. The first time I heard this song, I knew it was special, but I wasn't totally sold on it. I bookmarked it as a song to revisit before I finalised the rankings for the countdown, and with each subsequent play, Janet's charm broke down my wavering barriers, and in much the same way she's confident her commitment and dedication will result in the object of her affection feeling the same way about her as she feels about him, she manages to win my affections here. The disco-pop, dance-funk elements are delectable. Whilst many believe her first two albums are throwaway LPs, this song proves that there is brilliance to be found within...the not-so-brilliant overall works of art, but I strongly contend that this song would have fit just as comfortably on Control as Dream Street. It's a much more potent version of "He Doesn't Know I'm Alive". 9.5/10
011. Spending Time with You

I've droned on and on about how therapeutic Damita Jo is as an LP, and hinted that its crowning diamond would be not-far-off from the top, and here, just missing the illustrious Top 10, is my favourite Damita Jo jam, "Spending Time with You". Summoning the spirit of "That's the Way Love Goes", and blending the same with the island vibes of its parent album (fully equipped with the sound of the tide sweeping away one's worries), this song geniusly depicts the joy derived from spending time with someone you love in a stress-free, secluded location, where you're just able to completely enjoy one another's company without the pesky distractions from the outside world. Sleek, sensual, romantic, tempting, calming, and plush, "Spending Time with You" is the perfect soundtrack to a romantic getaway. 9.5/10
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:45 pm

• After falling in love with Janet thanks to “Doesn’t Really Matter” and the ensuing All For You era, I was pretty startled (and off-put) by much of what I heard when I picked up Design Of A Decade as my second-ever Janet album. A lot of the singles featured there, especially those from RN1814, felt...harsh, and foreign compared to the lighter, fluffier, poppier offerings that had sold me on Janet in the first place. “Miss You Much” was one of the worst offenders for me back then - and now it stands as my second-most-Scrobbled Janet track since 2010 (and RN1814 stands as my most-Scobbled Janet album) ;) Not gonna lie, I did a little independent research to double-check your claim about this being her absolute biggest US hit - and you’re totally right! Shame on me for doubting you. :oops:

• Just like “Miss You Much,” I needed time (years) to appreciate “Rhythmn Nation” after it initially struck me as a really jarring contrast to the circa-2000-style Janet that initially stole my heart. I’ve definitely reached a point where I can whole-heartedly endorse this Top 20 placement now! I love the way you explain the potential unifying and life-altering power of music (almost better than Janet herself does in the song). This anthem absolutely effectively rouses you to action (or, at the very least, gets you up on your feet). ”It’s time to give a damn, let’s work together...”

• “Love Will Never Do (Without You)” is such a buoyant, triumphant bop! I love the pseudo-duet effect we get from Janet changing octaves between verses. It’s a bit of a stretch, but this could be enjoyed as a pride anthem too: love enduring despite outside forces doubting/disapproving/trying to tear it apart. ”They said it wouldn’t last, we had to prove them wrong...” Even though I can’t exactly make out everything that she’s saying, I really love some her background ad-libs during the final 50-ish seconds of the song.

• Although I didn’t have it pegged as the winner, I did think “If It Takes All Night” was a shoo-in for your Top 10. The idea that it could fit on Control (maybe with some tweaks to the production/a touch of Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis’s magic) isn’t completely crazy. It’d make more sense than “Start Anew,” anyway...

• Damn, it feels like not that long ago I was hoping/praying you wouldn’t completely dismiss “Spending Time With You” and “Island Life” when you got around to Damita Jo during the build-up to this tribute, and now I'm learning that your enthusiasm for the former outshines mine! I guess because the tide sounds involve water, that's close enough to trigger your rain effect fetish? ;) Kidding aside, your Top 20 has been REALLY satisfying so far, and I’m extremely excited for all the legendary gems left inside your Top 10! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:30 am

phoenix98 wrote:• After falling in love with Janet thanks to “Doesn’t Really Matter” and the ensuing All For You era, I was pretty startled (and off-put) by much of what I heard when I picked up Design Of A Decade as my second-ever Janet album. A lot of the singles featured there, especially those from RN1814, felt...harsh, and foreign compared to the lighter, fluffier, poppier offerings that had sold me on Janet in the first place. “Miss You Much” was one of the worst offenders for me back then - and now it stands as my second-most-Scrobbled Janet track since 2010 (and RN1814 stands as my most-Scobbled Janet album) ;) Not gonna lie, I did a little independent research to double-check your claim about this being her absolute biggest US hit - and you’re totally right! Shame on me for doubting you. :oops:
Oh, I didn't know "Doesn't Really Matter" was your gateway to Janet fanhood! Coolio!

Your ears weren't ready for that new jack swing/industrial sound? :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• Just like “Miss You Much,” I needed time (years) to appreciate “Rhythmn Nation” after it initially struck me as a really jarring contrast to the circa-2000-style Janet that initially stole my heart. I’ve definitely reached a point where I can whole-heartedly endorse this Top 20 placement now! I love the way you explain the potential unifying and life-altering power of music (almost better than Janet herself does in the song). This anthem absolutely effectively rouses you to action (or, at the very least, gets you up on your feet). ”It’s time to give a damn, let’s work together...”
Glad that "Rhythm Nation" (and all its sister tracks) managed to grow on you! I feel like I essentially regurgitated quite a lot of what I'd said in our "State of the World" debate in that "Rhythm Nation" write-up. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• “Love Will Never Do (Without You)” is such a buoyant, triumphant bop! I love the pseudo-duet effect we get from Janet changing octaves between verses. It’s a bit of a stretch, but this could be enjoyed as a pride anthem too: love enduring despite outside forces doubting/disapproving/trying to tear it apart. ”They said it wouldn’t last, we had to prove them wrong...” Even though I can’t exactly make out everything that she’s saying, I really love some her background ad-libs during the final 50-ish seconds of the song.
I definitely thought of that! "Buoyant" is a perfect descriptor of the song, too!

phoenix98 wrote:• Although I didn’t have it pegged as the winner, I did think “If It Takes All Night” was a shoo-in for your Top 10. The idea that it could fit on Control (maybe with some tweaks to the production/a touch of Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis’s magic) isn’t completely crazy. It’d make more sense than “Start Anew,” anyway...
#12 isn't far off from the Top 10, so you were pretty close with that estimation. "If It Takes All Night" has had a great chart run on my daily chart, though, and if this were based purely on that thread, "If It Takes All Night" might be a comfortable Top 5, but I think I really love listening to the song. It's a huge earworm, made even more special by the fact that I knew, even on that first spin when I initially rated it 7.9/10 that it was a song I was liable to feel differently about after more plays.

phoenix98 wrote:Damn, it feels like not that long ago I was hoping/praying you wouldn’t completely dismiss “Spending Time With You” and “Island Life” when you got around to Damita Jo during the build-up to this tribute, and now I'm learning that your enthusiasm for the former outshines mine! I guess because the tide sounds involve water, that's close enough to trigger your rain effect fetish? ;) Kidding aside, your Top 20 has been REALLY satisfying so far, and I’m extremely excited for all the legendary gems left inside your Top 10! :D
Both songs ended up doing pretty well. "Island Life" got a 7.8/10 rating, and it made it to the Top 80, and by a narrow margin "Spending Time with You" misses the Top 10. However, whilst "Island Life" is just 'good', "Spending Time with You" is magical. However, it's edged out by one other non-single, so it narrowly misses out on that honour, too!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:35 am

Awwww, here I was excited that all three tracks from Rhythm Nation were still in and then you wipe them all out in one fell swoop just before the top 10 :cry: Man, not even one ... Miss You Much and Love Will Never Do would definitely rank among my top ten. The only good thing is you STILL have not posted my all time favorite Janet song and it appears to have made the top 10 :)

Also, you have a rain effect fetish? :lol:
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:38 am

Album Intermission

The final 'interruption' of the main songs countdown is the album intermission! We're on the brink of the revelation of my 10 favourite Janet songs, and janet., The Velvet Rope, All for You, and Discipline are the only Janet studio albums with any tracks left, so how do those four stack up against her other LPs? Let's take a quick, write-up-free look!

11. Dream Street: 7.28/10

10. 20 Y.O.: 7.4/10

09. Janet Jackson: 7.44/10

08. Discipline: 7.47/10

07. Damita Jo: 7.71/10

06. Unbreakable: 7.72/10

05. Control: 7.94/10

04. The Velvet Rope: 8.07/10

03. janet.: 8.28/10

02. Rhythm Nation 1814: 8.31/10

01. All for You: 8.33/10

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby biscuits » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:43 am

- Didn’t expect IITAN not to make top 10 as it’s a mainstay on your personal chart. I think ‘If’ will nab the crown now

- Ecstatic to see AFY as your #1 album!
biscuits
The Diva

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:55 am

cheapthrills wrote:Awwww, here I was excited that all three tracks from Rhythm Nation were still in and then you wipe them all out in one fell swoop just before the top 10 :cry: Man, not even one ... Miss You Much and Love Will Never Do would definitely rank among my top ten. The only good thing is you STILL have not posted my all time favorite Janet song and it appears to have made the top 10 :)

Also, you have a rain effect fetish? :lol:
Strange I didn't see the message that another post had been made before I submitted my album intermission post.

Despite no Rhythm Nation track making the Top 10, it is my second favourite Janet LP, and very close to my #1, as you can see. I think you and JakeP share favourite Janet songs, and if I'm correct in what I'm remembering, you won't see that song in this upcoming batch either. :wink:

And I don't think I have a rain fetish. It's just that so many of my favourite sensual Janet songs have that as an audio backdrop. It's merely a coincidence.

biscuits wrote:- Didn’t expect IITAN not to make top 10 as it’s a mainstay on your personal chart. I think ‘If’ will nab the crown now

- Ecstatic to see AFY as your #1 album!
I can reveal "If" is not in this next batch, so it will be in the final five. Let's see if it's in fact #1!

I knew you'd be happy to see that! :D
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:48 am

And we're into the home straight now!

010. I Get Lonely

Soulful and smooth, this emotional ballad is probably the most 'Mariah-esque' song in Janet's discography, which explains why I adore it so much. I feel something in my spirit when Janet pleads, I want no one but you because I can definitely relate to feeling lonely and only having one person who can placate said loneliness. "I Get Lonely" is draped in one of the most exquisite, luxurious productions in Janet's catalogue. Paired with Janet's raw vocals and vulnerable lyricism, the whole thing feels so grand. I also love how Janet harmonises with herself; it's almost as if there are multiple versions of herself all starved of happiness and love because of this singular missing person in her life. 9.5/10
009. Feedback

Strum me like a guitar, blow out my amplifier. Janet's done sex and dance songs too many times to count, but this one is truly special, and that highlighted lyric is my favourite moment in a song that's full of noteworthy points. There's Janet expressing her appeal to, and interest in, guys from a diverse set of racial backgrounds; a persistent electro-pop production that certifies this effort as a club banger; and her stitching a menstruation lyric into mainstream radio. There's a lot going on with this song, but at heart, it's a shameless dance song, and few people can compete with Janet in that department. Unsurprisingly, this is the highest-ranking song from Discipline. 9.6/10
008. All for You

This breezy soundtrack to seduction, "All for You" is flirtatious, light, and fun, much like many of my favourite uptempo cuts from Ms. Jackson. Got a nice package all right, guess I'm gonna have to ride it tonight is a lyrical highlight, as I'm always happy when Janet is so uncensored with her sexual desires, but the whole song is terrific. It starts in fifth gear and stays there for the whole ride. 9.6/10
007. Velvet Rope (feat. Vanessa-Mae)

I dub this Janet's most interesting track due, in great part, to the eclectic melody, comprised of epic violin sections, courtesy of Vanessa-Mae, and a dark, grimy, almost metallic beat, as well as its lyricism. The opening sound actually sounds like a transporter, as if Janet is in effect taking everyone, who society punishes for expressing themselves, to this sanctuary planet. That line, We have a special need to feel like we belong definitely cuts deep for me, and the velvet rope in which Janet is inviting everyone seems like an allusion to not just music, but all art forms, where people can channel feelings, or project ideas and beliefs that may be unorthodox or unacceptable to the general public. It's all about a safe place for self-expression, and whilst the utopia presented in this song doesn't exist, it is comforting to consider how partaking in art - either as a creator or consumer - can result in being part of the velvet rope, the chain of like-minded people who share similar struggles, and seek the same solitude and relief. 9.7/10
006. Scream (with Michael Jackson)

There are few songs about frustration that cover the topic better than this epic brother/sister collaboration. An obvious 'response' song to the salacious accusations lodged against the king of pop, "Scream" speaks about, and against, the way the media warps innocent things to make them controversial headliners that the general public will care to consume. He alludes to the notion that too many pockets of the media care more about covering celebrity stories, no matter how untrue, than bringing to folks' attention the true crimes and issues prevalent within society. Although this song is quite personal to MJ, I love Janet's contribution to the project because it's not often we see the angry, fed-up side of her. We saw it on "What About" and "Son of a Gun (I Betcha Think This Song Is About You)", but it's refreshing to see her tap into that furious side of hers on this track. I also love how they progress from Stop pressuring me on the first chorus to Stop f**king with me towards the end of the second chorus. There was a particularly stressful period at work this year where I played this song like a madman, and I can attest to its therapeutic powers! 10/10
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby biscuits » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:59 am

Although ‘Scream’ has grown on me immensely over the past few months, I could still never put it so high. However, in an MJ countdown, it would be my #2!
biscuits
The Diva

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:58 am

My favorites of this set are Feedback and All For You, though I love your write up for I Get Lonely. As you know, I just associate Scream too much with MJ to really think of it as a Janet show. All For You is really peak Janet. And you are right, my favorite Janet song is still left to come :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Erotica » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:56 am

Love them all except Scream maybe

These are standouts too:
Love will never do
Burnitup
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Ahh now we're getting the hits (i.e. the songs i know and enjoy :lol: ).

Firstly i must highlight Rhythm nation (the song) as thats such an epic sounding track. I've never listened to the parent album so i'm only mildly aware of the singles. Again this is another song that i assumed was a big hit in the UK but having looking it failed to make the top 20. Talk about brutal, but perhaps the loyal fans opted for the album instead?

I get lonely i vaguely remember from when i was young. I think this used to get a lot of airplay on MTV and other music channels. It's not one of my absolute favourite Janet tracks but i do enjoy this.

All for you is such an uplifting slice of r'n'b pop. For some reason i thought it had already appeared so i'm even more pleased to see it amongst your top 10. <3

Scream well, gosh! :o The first time i watched the music video i was truly transfixed. Again, this must've been the late 90s but it tends to get fairly regular rotation of the classic music tv channels even these days. Iirc this is the most expensive music video ever made, not sure anything since has had a higher budget.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:26 am

biscuits wrote:Although ‘Scream’ has grown on me immensely over the past few months, I could still never put it so high. However, in an MJ countdown, it would be my #2!
Behind which song?

cheapthrills wrote:My favorites of this set are Feedback and All For You, though I love your write up for I Get Lonely. As you know, I just associate Scream too much with MJ to really think of it as a Janet show. All For You is really peak Janet. And you are right, my favorite Janet song is still left to come :)
And the moment of truth is upon us! :P

Erotica wrote:Love them all except Scream maybe

These are standouts too:
Love will never do
Burnitup
Ah, glad you also appreciate "BURNITUP!". That one is criminally underrated, in my opinion.

JakeP wrote:Ahh now we're getting the hits (i.e. the songs i know and enjoy :lol: ).

Firstly i must highlight Rhythm nation (the song) as thats such an epic sounding track. I've never listened to the parent album so i'm only mildly aware of the singles. Again this is another song that i assumed was a big hit in the UK but having looking it failed to make the top 20. Talk about brutal, but perhaps the loyal fans opted for the album instead?

I get lonely i vaguely remember from when i was young. I think this used to get a lot of airplay on MTV and other music channels. It's not one of my absolute favourite Janet tracks but i do enjoy this.

All for you is such an uplifting slice of r'n'b pop. For some reason i thought it had already appeared so i'm even more pleased to see it amongst your top 10. <3

Scream well, gosh! :o The first time i watched the music video i was truly transfixed. Again, this must've been the late 90s but it tends to get fairly regular rotation of the classic music tv channels even these days. Iirc this is the most expensive music video ever made, not sure anything since has had a higher budget.
Yeah, I just did a quick Google search, and it looks like "Scream" is still the most expensive music video ever produced. I have to say it was worth the $7 million.

Glad to hear you like "All for You" and "Rhythm Nation", and appreciate "I Get Lonely". Your favourite Janet track is coming up in this final set. :wink:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:44 am

005. Trust a Try

Speed-singing at its finest, "Trust a Try" - the highest-ranking non-single - is a cascade of emotion, with Janet encouraging her current lover to "trust a try", to bury the insecurities, doubt, and paranoia that stemmed from a previous case of infidelity with one of his exes, and enter their new union with a clean slate. This is one Janet song where I care more about the style than the substance; the production on this is just insanely epic, so fast-paced, frenetic, and intoxicatingly exciting! And it starts at full throttle from verse one! The rock guitar is also sublime here. 10/10
004. Together Again

It's not often you have songs that are both tender and dance-worthy, but Janet blends emotion with the booming bass of the house-influenced production on "Together Again", a warm, breezy stroll down memory lane reminiscing, with joy, about a soul dearly departed. I love how Janet maintains an optimistic perspective about a topic that is anything but. She focuses on the numerous ways she feels her friend's spirit and essence, and looks forward to her own view of the afterlife, where she knows that she'll be reunited with the loved one she was forced to separate from in the physical realm. Oftentimes, we view death from a one-sided perspective, from the vantage point of having something precious and dear stolen away from us before we were ready to let go, and whilst that is certainly a valid feeling, there is also, after the grieving period, a time to celebrate the life of the deceased. No one is promised forever, and "Together Again" feels like a gentle reminder to mourn, yes, but also carve out time to rejoice in the love, laughter, tears, triumphs, failures, hopes, and dreams of our lost loved ones, though it has been said that those who have been loved can never truly die, and "Together Again" is a great capture of that eternal essence of spirit. Understandably, this is my highest-ranking song from The Velvet Rope. 10/10
003. That's the Way Love Goes

I'm not sure there's a more therapeutic song that's ever been recorded in the history of music. "That's the Way Love Goes" centres me in the midst of emotional hurricanes so sublime, reassuring, gentle, calm, and warm is Janet's voice on this. It's easily my most-played Janet song, as there isn't a better all-purpose track in her catalogue. For easy listening background study music, I play "That's the Way Love Goes". To slow down racing, colliding thoughts in an attempt to relocate focus, I play "That's the Way Love Goes". To harken back to the golden era of R&B where the genre was the popular sound of mainstream music, I play "That the Way Love Goes". I even revisit it sometimes just to hear that brilliant Like a moth to a flame burned by the fire hook. 10/10
002. If

And here the preemptive favourite falls. Many expected a song from janet. to win, and I'm sure most of those folks expected it to be "If", and for good reason, too! "If" is quite deservedly a signature Janet Jackson song, well-equipped with an eclectic blend of genres to run its production line (R&B, new jack swing, industrial rock, hip/hop, pop), a powerful statement against disturbances of monogamy presented in the form of a ridiculously catchy hook, speed-singing, and uncensored sexual expression. It checks almost every essential box, and is widely acclaimed among both fans and critics. Five years ago, this was my favourite Janet Jackson song, but it's slipped to runner-up position since. It does hold the honour of being my highest-ranking janet. song, though, which counts for something. 10/10
001. Doesn't Really Matter

Surprise, surprise. No one voted for All for You in the poll, so I'll say no one expected this as the winner. My introduction to "Doesn't Really Matter" is interesting. Anvay (Era) was hosting a Janet Jackson #1s game, and I wanted to participate, so I downloaded the eight Janet #1s that I didn't already have on my phone to familiarise myself with all of the eligible songs, and I fell in love with the song. It was years later that I would realise that the version I downloaded was not, in fact, the original, but a remix (the Spensane remix, which sped up Janet's vocals and gave the song a more urgent, dance-ready rhythm). I've heard so many versions of this song, but it's that island-flavoured Spensane remix that towers above them all, though, in all its forms, this song's endearing theme of absolute euphoria uncovered in a romantic relationship also helps set it apart from the top contenders for #1. I've said before that, for me, the definitive characteristic of Janet Jackson isn't her daring sensuality, but her joy, and you can hear the smile and delight in her voice on this song. It's a delight forged through fire (I've finally found someone whose heart is true), with that allusion made towards a rough road to genuine love. Combined with a dazzling, electric production, gliding vocals, fun and charming tidbits (You're nutty-nutty-nutty for me), and indirect references to previous emotional turmoil, the earned euphoria element makes this the quintessential Janet Jackson song. 10/10
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:43 am

Nice top 5, I like all of them except Together again :)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:04 am

^ On the contrary, Together again is quite easily my favourite in that top 5. :D

However i do love the r'n'b bop that is That's the way love goes. Kinda surprised by your #1 but as soon as i saw that cd cover i thought to myself "i'm sure i know this" and after a quick YouTube search and play i do vaguely remember this from the time. But then i love The nutty professor and Eddie Murphy is hilarious in the movie. :lol: Would never have predicted this as your #1 but i love surprises. :D

Amazing job Akini <3
JakeP
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:24 pm

Well, seeing as you trashed my top Madonna songs in that countdown, I'm delighted to see my favorite so close to the top. It is If, which I still hear at clubs to this day. It always seems to get people moving. Such a sexy, playful song.

I really do like your #1, though I wouldn't have ever ranked it as highly. I think rather than quirky, the "nutty-nutty-nutty" just reminds me of the terrible movie it represents :lol:

Also so very happy to see Together Again in the top five - that would be in my top five as well as I have a personal connection to that song :)

Other than paying When I Think of You dust, I really enjoyed this countdown. I'm going to have to go back and catch some of the songs that you wrote about that sound interesting. Between this and the BBMA performance, I have ust realized how much I loved Janet and what an amazing artist she is.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:04 pm

Nice countdown!
RayRay
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:00 pm

• I'd never associated Mariah with "I Get Lonely" before, but it's a really interesting observation! Granted, "really interesting observation" applies to basically every write-up you've done here. Much like J. Cole on "No Sleeep," I guess BLACKstreet bring nothing (of value) to "I Get Lonely" for you? This one definitely earns top marks for illustrating such a (painfully) relatable situation. To reference "No Sleeep" again, this one's similar in that I don't feel quite the same level of personal enthusiasm that you're displaying here, but I'm not at all bothered by it landing high.

• "Feedback" really should've been a "Believe"-sized comeback for Janet :cry: A friend of mine considers it one of the ultimate striptease anthems :lol: So catchy, so sexy, and - as you noted - packed with fabulicious lines: "I got novelties so appeasing, feed my fetish, please...", "flyer than a pelican..." Indisputably Top 10-worthy!

• Aw, "All For You" <3 This one is right up there with "Doesn't Really Matter" in terms of nostalgia for me, since it was such an (enjoyably) ever-present radio (and TV) smash back in the day. I'm pretty positive it was played during at least one school dance (or more), and it also serves as a reminder of a time when basically everyone was rooting for/charmed by Janet (before a certain divisive incident). "Breezy" is SO right, which pairs surprisingly perfectly with rather-raunchy lyrics like the ones you quoted. That chorus just sends me straight to pop heaven: "it's all for yOoOouu..." **Contented sigh** This is another one that's truly a treat to see inside your Top 10!

• Ooh, I LOVE your imagery of the intro representing a transporter taking us to Janet's Planet Velvet! It was probably you who first pointed out to me the brilliance of Janet twisting the concept of the velvet rope, which typically represents exclusion/something that's off-limits to most people, into a symbol of welcoming, inclusion, and acceptance. I've gushed before about how much this song spoke to me as a gay teen, when I was first delving into Janet's catalog. "put others down to fill us up, oppressing me will oppress you..."

• I do associate "Scream" with Michael moreso than Janet, but even when I'm in the mood for some MJ, I've never really acknowledged this particular offering much. It's always just been most memorable for that factoid about its video budget. I hear what you're saying about the rare treat of an unapologetically-livid Janet, and I can definitely see how it's a perfect "I'm pissed" anthem when life's been treating you like sh*t. **Hug**

• "Trust A Try" is such an awesome, eclectic adventure. Now that I think about it, it's a bit like "This Time" in its genre spanning-and-blending ways (especially that transition from the intro to the first verse) - except this one EASILY checks the "catchy" box for me in ways "This Time" doesn't. SO single-worthy!

• Your write-up for "Together Again" has me tearing up almost as much as the song itself :cry: As you mentioned, grief/loss really is a complicated, multi-faceted experience that involves the profound sadness of permanently losing someone you loved, while also celebrating everything their life represented and smiling as you reminisce about all the wonderful memories. Even though I don't completely share Janet's depiction of the afterlife here, those specifics don't really matter, because this track still strikes SO many emotional chords over its 5-minute-journey. No matter where you think we do (or don't) go after we pass on, that sense of "seeing" and feeling your lost ones in various ways as you continue to go about your life is so universal, and so comforting <3 Top 5 is right where this belongs!

• "That's The Way Love Goes" is certainly among Janet's most recognizable, celebrated achievements - but for some reason, I've never developed a particularly strong personal attachment to it. I do like it (I certainly wouldn't banish it sub-100 or anything), but I just don't get the same emotional experience that it seems to evoke in most. I love learning how it's like a Swiss Army knife of musical utility for you, though! :lol:

• I'm a little bummed to have been wrong about "If," but at least runner-up isn't far off! While "Velvet Rope" really spoke to my insecurities and isolation as I came to grips with my identity as a teen, "If" spoke loud-and-clear to my sexual frustration :lol: SUCH the perfect summarization of my feelings toward all those unobtainable straight boys at school! "I've closed my eyes and thought of us a hundred different ways...."

:o :o :o I did NOT see this coming - and now I'm feeling like I must've missed some obvious hints/signs in your personal chart over the years - but I am 1000% behind you crowning "Doesn't Really Matter" the champ! Also, I think this is the first time I've seen you actually drop the name of that much-touted/often-alluded-to remix that originally sold you on the track :o In any form, this gem really is brimming with joy! Like I was saying before, this was her first single to really grab my attention during its release (largely thanks to seeing the video on TV - she was SO damn cute in those apartment scenes, that might've been the closest I've ever come to having a crush on a female celeb) and sparked an interest in actively following her career from that point forward. The song still makes me smile as much now as it did then, and I'd be seriously tempted to place it at No. 1 myself. It's hard to beat that combo of nostalgia and enduring replay value (since not every song that I thought was brilliant circa-2000 moves me in quite the same ways today) :lol: Even if it was written for Eddie Murphy in a fat suit, there's definitely queer anthem potential/the idea that love is (gender) blind in a lot of the lines too: "doesn't matter what my family's sayin' too, it just matters that I'm in love with you, it only matters that you love me too, it doesn't matter if they won't accept you...", "doesn't really matter what the eye is seein', 'cause I'm in love with the inner bein'..."

Thanks for putting all of this together and taking us on this magnificent musical journey! I'd really been slacking as a Janet fan in recent years (especially post-Unbreakable. After checking last.fm just now, it looks like I only played her 75 times in ALL of 2017) :o This was the perfect way to re-visit so many songs that meant so much to me in my youth/adolescence. Just like Janet, you've certainly got a way with words, and it was especially nice to see so many of my own favorites land so high :D Janet may be the queen of insomnia, but you're easily the king of UKMIX tributes!
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:40 am

An enormous thank you to everyone for following this countdown. Tributes are always fun for me to compile, but presenting is only ever as fun as the feedback, and you guys provided some amazing feedback over the last two months. See you next year for the Céline Dion countdown! :D

Erotica wrote:Nice top 5, I like all of them except Together again :)
4/5 isn't bad. I'll take it! :D

JakeP wrote:^ On the contrary, Together again is quite easily my favourite in that top 5. :D

However i do love the r'n'b bop that is That's the way love goes. Kinda surprised by your #1 but as soon as i saw that cd cover i thought to myself "i'm sure i know this" and after a quick YouTube search and play i do vaguely remember this from the time. But then i love The nutty professor and Eddie Murphy is hilarious in the movie. :lol: Would never have predicted this as your #1 but i love surprises. :D

Amazing job Akini <3
Thanks, Jake! I knew you'd be fairly pleased to see "Together Again" so high up, but I wasn't sure how you felt about "Doesn't Really Matter". Good to know you like that one, too! :D

cheapthrills wrote:Well, seeing as you trashed my top Madonna songs in that countdown, I'm delighted to see my favorite so close to the top. It is If, which I still hear at clubs to this day. It always seems to get people moving. Such a sexy, playful song.

I really do like your #1, though I wouldn't have ever ranked it as highly. I think rather than quirky, the "nutty-nutty-nutty" just reminds me of the terrible movie it represents :lol:

Also so very happy to see Together Again in the top five - that would be in my top five as well as I have a personal connection to that song :)

Other than paying When I Think of You dust, I really enjoyed this countdown. I'm going to have to go back and catch some of the songs that you wrote about that sound interesting. Between this and the BBMA performance, I have ust realized how much I loved Janet and what an amazing artist she is.
Glad we could be more in sync with this countdown! I realise that I like most of Janet's biggest hits, so almost all of them fared decently/exceptionally well here, but some of Madonna's big hits don't connect with me as much, so there was bound to be more disconnect there between me and everyone else.

Ah, "If" is a fantastic favourite to have! It's sublime, sensual, erotic, classic Janet!

Glad this tribute (and the BBMAs) reminded you of how awesome Ms. Jackson is! 8-)

RayRay wrote:Nice countdown!
Thanks! :D

phoenix98 wrote:• I'd never associated Mariah with "I Get Lonely" before, but it's a really interesting observation! Granted, "really interesting observation" applies to basically every write-up you've done here. Much like J. Cole on "No Sleeep," I guess BLACKstreet bring nothing (of value) to "I Get Lonely" for you? This one definitely earns top marks for illustrating such a (painfully) relatable situation. To reference "No Sleeep" again, this one's similar in that I don't feel quite the same level of personal enthusiasm that you're displaying here, but I'm not at all bothered by it landing high.
Correct! Interestingly enough, not only does the song remind of something Mariah would have recorded, but it sounds like a song that would have fit rather seamlessly on Butterfly, which was released around the same time as The Velvet Rope.

phoenix98 wrote:• "Feedback" really should've been a "Believe"-sized comeback for Janet :cry: A friend of mine considers it one of the ultimate striptease anthems :lol: So catchy, so sexy, and - as you noted - packed with fabulicious lines: "I got novelties so appeasing, feed my fetish, please...", "flyer than a pelican..." Indisputably Top 10-worthy!
Agreed! Hmm...I think "Feedback" goes well beyond striptease territory. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• Aw, "All For You" <3 This one is right up there with "Doesn't Really Matter" in terms of nostalgia for me, since it was such an (enjoyably) ever-present radio (and TV) smash back in the day. I'm pretty positive it was played during at least one school dance (or more), and it also serves as a reminder of a time when basically everyone was rooting for/charmed by Janet (before a certain divisive incident). "Breezy" is SO right, which pairs surprisingly perfectly with rather-raunchy lyrics like the ones you quoted. That chorus just sends me straight to pop heaven: "it's all for yOoOouu..." **Contented sigh** This is another one that's truly a treat to see inside your Top 10!
Glad you love "All for You", too!

phoenix98 wrote:• Ooh, I LOVE your imagery of the intro representing a transporter taking us to Janet's Planet Velvet! It was probably you who first pointed out to me the brilliance of Janet twisting the concept of the velvet rope, which typically represents exclusion/something that's off-limits to most people, into a symbol of welcoming, inclusion, and acceptance. I've gushed before about how much this song spoke to me as a gay teen, when I was first delving into Janet's catalog. "put others down to fill us up, oppressing me will oppress you..."
I don't think that was me, but it is definitely a concept I'd agree with tagging "brilliant". The song actually makes me tear up sometimes. I wish 'Planet Velvet' actually existed.

phoenix98 wrote:• I do associate "Scream" with Michael moreso than Janet, but even when I'm in the mood for some MJ, I've never really acknowledged this particular offering much. It's always just been most memorable for that factoid about its video budget. I hear what you're saying about the rare treat of an unapologetically-livid Janet, and I can definitely see how it's a perfect "I'm pissed" anthem when life's been treating you like sh*t. **Hug**
Yeah, I knew few people would agree with me ranking "Scream" so high, and maybe compiling this countdown around a particularly busy period at work bolstered its ranking, but even when I'm happy, I listen to the song and think it's fantastic.

phoenix98 wrote:• "Trust A Try" is such an awesome, eclectic adventure. Now that I think about it, it's a bit like "This Time" in its genre spanning-and-blending ways (especially that transition from the intro to the first verse) - except this one EASILY checks the "catchy" box for me in ways "This Time" doesn't. SO single-worthy!
Yeah, I'm bemused by the decision to not make it a single. It screams #1 hit to me.

phoenix98 wrote:• Your write-up for "Together Again" has me tearing up almost as much as the song itself :cry: As you mentioned, grief/loss really is a complicated, multi-faceted experience that involves the profound sadness of permanently losing someone you loved, while also celebrating everything their life represented and smiling as you reminisce about all the wonderful memories. Even though I don't completely share Janet's depiction of the afterlife here, those specifics don't really matter, because this track still strikes SO many emotional chords over its 5-minute-journey. No matter where you think we do (or don't) go after we pass on, that sense of "seeing" and feeling your lost ones in various ways as you continue to go about your life is so universal, and so comforting <3 Top 5 is right where this belongs!
Ah, it warms my heart to read such unfiltered praise for "Together Again". It's like an upbeat, even more optimistic, considerably improved version of "One Sweet Day".

phoenix98 wrote:• "That's The Way Love Goes" is certainly among Janet's most recognizable, celebrated achievements - but for some reason, I've never developed a particularly strong personal attachment to it. I do like it (I certainly wouldn't banish it sub-100 or anything), but I just don't get the same emotional experience that it seems to evoke in most. I love learning how it's like a Swiss Army knife of musical utility for you, though! :lol:
It really is! And only a few songs are like that for me: "Fast Car" and "The Roof" being the two others.

phoenix98 wrote:• I'm a little bummed to have been wrong about "If," but at least runner-up isn't far off! While "Velvet Rope" really spoke to my insecurities and isolation as I came to grips with my identity as a teen, "If" spoke loud-and-clear to my sexual frustration :lol: SUCH the perfect summarization of my feelings toward all those unobtainable straight boys at school! "I've closed my eyes and thought of us a hundred different ways...."
Yeah, I don't think any other song covers sexual frustration better than "If"! :lol:

phoenix98 wrote::o :o :o I did NOT see this coming - and now I'm feeling like I must've missed some obvious hints/signs in your personal chart over the years - but I am 1000% behind you crowning "Doesn't Really Matter" the champ! Also, I think this is the first time I've seen you actually drop the name of that much-touted/often-alluded-to remix that originally sold you on the track :o In any form, this gem really is brimming with joy! Like I was saying before, this was her first single to really grab my attention during its release (largely thanks to seeing the video on TV - she was SO damn cute in those apartment scenes, that might've been the closest I've ever come to having a crush on a female celeb) and sparked an interest in actively following her career from that point forward. The song still makes me smile as much now as it did then, and I'd be seriously tempted to place it at No. 1 myself. It's hard to beat that combo of nostalgia and enduring replay value (since not every song that I thought was brilliant circa-2000 moves me in quite the same ways today) :lol: Even if it was written for Eddie Murphy in a fat suit, there's definitely queer anthem potential/the idea that love is (gender) blind in a lot of the lines too: "doesn't matter what my family's sayin' too, it just matters that I'm in love with you, it only matters that you love me too, it doesn't matter if they won't accept you...", "doesn't really matter what the eye is seein', 'cause I'm in love with the inner bein'..."
It looks like no one did. :lol: I did hint a few times throughout the countdown that joyful Janet was my favourite Janet + she expressed that particular emotion better than any other artist I know, but I think most people missed those subtle messages.

Yeah, I definitely get queer anthem from "Doesn't Really Matter", one because she's basically dismissing outsiders' opinions on the relationship, and two, because she references the relief of finally (finding) someone whose heart is true, which is something LGBT+ folk are more likely to deal with due to a multiplicity of factors.

A few posts back, I saw you mention that "Doesn't Really Matter" was your introduction to Janet, and I knew there you'd be happy with it as #1. And I know what you mean: Beyoncé, Aaliyah, and Rihanna have had some moments where I had to step back a bit and catch my breath. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Thanks for putting all of this together and taking us on this magnificent musical journey! I'd really been slacking as a Janet fan in recent years (especially post-Unbreakable. After checking last.fm just now, it looks like I only played her 75 times in ALL of 2017) :o This was the perfect way to re-visit so many songs that meant so much to me in my youth/adolescence. Just like Janet, you've certainly got a way with words, and it was especially nice to see so many of my own favorites land so high :D Janet may be the queen of insomnia, but you're easily the king of UKMIX tributes!
Thank you for following it every step of the way! It is so, so appreciated!!! <3

And, aw, thanks! :cry:
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts