LaserTrap's Top 125 Tori Amos songs!

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby LaserTrap » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:29 pm

So, I'm pretty sure this is the right place in the forums to do this. :D

I first found this site because of MrLemonade/Carbon's top 100 Tori Amos songs, and now a few years later, here I am doing mine! Of course, there's a new album in there now. But there's also a twist - this is actually going to be a top 125!
I know that seems like a really odd number to use, but let me explain why it came to that. My method was writing a list of songs that I thought would be good to include and then ordering them after that. I thought I would undershoot 100 songs, but I ended up overshooting by a fair bit, and that number came to exactly 125, which is a (fairly) round number to use for this, I think. I would love to at least give them an honorable mention, haha. And just because the other songs aren't on here doesn't mean I don't like them!

There are no covers in this list, even if they were released on an album, just to clarify. Although I guess the Midwinter Graces and Night of Hunters songs are kind of covers considering she didn't write all the music. Anyway, songs from those albums will be included, but straight-up covers like those in Strange Little Girls and other B-sides like such will not be included. Also nothing from The Light Princess.

I'll be posting them in sets of 5, so this should have 25 posts by the end! I'm not sure how often I'll get to do this but hopefully it will be a few times a week, and maybe daily at times where I'm not so busy with exams. :P

I really hope I can find some Tori fans on here who can join me on this journey too and share their thoughts as I go! :)
Last edited by LaserTrap on Tue May 01, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trusting my soul to the ice cream assassin
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby Carbon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:03 am

Following this!

I’m not as crazy about Tori as I was back when I did my countdown so it will be interesting to see how some of her songs aged in my mind and how similar or different our tastes are.
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby LaserTrap » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Awesome! I feel almost privileged to have you following :D
There are quite a few similarities between our tastes, I'll say that much. But plenty of differences.
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby LaserTrap » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Here we go!
#125: Sweet the Sting
Album: The Beekeeper (2005)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOtigm4P-yo
He said "I laid my weapons
down with my pistol
Fully loaded, a hunted man
To my root, will it end
Or begin in your cinnabar juice?"

So, here's where my list starts! Like many songs from The Beekeeper, I feel as if this song is often overlooked. Could be worse, though! A lot of other songs on the album are hated for a bad reason. I certainly won't be neglecting the album! :wink:
This piece was one of the four songs from the album to feature a gospel choir. If you're interested, there's actually a recorded live show featuring the six-part gospel choir which was performed in London in 2005. I love the casual jazzy vibe of the song, and it's fairly rare these days, too! It had one live performance in 2007 as well, which thankfully was also recorded as part of the legs and boots shows! If you're looking for that, it was from the Dallas show. It had a new intro, one of her very long live intros that she tended to do with a band, but it had a really fun new feel to it.
I don't relate to the lyrics too much and sometimes the song gets just a little bit repetitive, which is probably why the song gets forgotten, but still, I thought it deserved its place on the list (which it barely got). :)

#124: Space Dog
Album: Under the Pink (1994)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8OX9AVwm7E
Deck the halls I'm young again
I'm you again
Racing turtles
The grapefruit is winning
Seems I keep getting this story twisted
So where's Neil when you need him

Haha, this one's a classic! And some people will probably say this is ranked too low. :lol:
Well now, where do I start with this one? Musically, the piece contrasts with itself in a fairly clever way, although for me the reason it's not higher is because it feels like a mashup of two separate songs that I would not have put together. I love it, but it doesn't completely work. Let me say though, I love how badass that bass feels. It's strong and it carries the piece really well through that portion of it.
The lyrics of this one are strange, but it's a Tori Amos song, so that should almost go without saying. There are a lot of contrasts in the lyrics too, like they're all being restricted but there's hope. (I'd love to actually know what these lyrics mean if anyone actually knows.) Regardless, it's a good song, and I do feel a little bad for its low spot but it was hard to order these!

#123: Scarlet's Walk
Album: Scarlet's Walk (2002)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oKNspN46Yo
I will follow her on her path
Scarlet's walk through the voilets
Just tell your gods for me
All debts are off this year

I'll say this is the first of 16 SW songs on my list, and this could also come as a bit of a shocker, but it was sooooo hard to order these and I think I just like the other ones better on most days. So don't bite my head off or anything... :oops:
Tori had a lot of concept albums, and I'm fairly sure this was her first one. A very simple explanation of this album's concept is that it's about a girl who walks across America, and this song explains what she sees and how she feels about them. I don't love the album for its concept, but rather for the songs it holds and the style of music. This song isn't my favorite but it just sounds really smooth and at times a little bit haunting. It also sometimes appeared as part of Isabel's sets in the 2007 American Doll Posse tour, which made sense considering Isabel is the more political of the dolls and this song is sort of to do with the problems America holds. It's actually partly to do with the Native Americans too, which is pretty cool, since there are very few songs that address that.

#122: Mother
Album:Little Earthquakes (1992)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dWOqztGGz4
I walked into your dream
And now I've forgotten how to dream my own dream
You are the clever one aren't you
Brides in veils for you
We told you all of our secrets
All but one

Girl and piano! Yes, the first one of those on the list, and it's from her first album (under her name only). This might be the most forgettable of the songs from LE, but I still really like it. I love how the chords evolve into this very mysterious progression and the song just gets more and more intense as it goes. Unfortunately I don't have much to say about this song. I want to say it's simple because it is, but it's actually more complicated than what is heard from the basic outer shell.

#121: Hotel
Album: From the Choirgirl Hotel (1998)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAcA3uG5Wfk
You were wild
Where are you now
King Solomon's Mines
Exit 75
I'm still alive

Ah yes, this song. :)
I really like it. The synth is so dark and mysterious, and the change of pace is also very strong when it happens. The story isn't too hidden here. I really feel like this is just one of her musical genius pieces, but for me it's just not as good as the others! (I hope you're getting used to me saying that by now :lol: )
The different tones of this piece can be very moving and the sequence flows together nicely compared to other songs. Still not perfect, but that definitely doesn't stop it from being a good song. Also, the people who like this song seem to really love it. I've seen quite a few people say that this is hands down their favorite Tori song.

But to see mine, we'll have to wait, won't we? Part 2 coming soon :D

I'd also like to say the reason I'm not embedding the YouTube videos is because this forum only allows one video per post. I don't think I need to do multiple posts per update.
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby LaserTrap » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:00 pm

While this may not really be getting any reaction, I will still be posting this. So let's do some more!

#120: Bells For Her
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcb2_Y5FPA
So they went years and years
Like sisters blanket girls
Always there through that and this
There's nothing we cannot ever fix I said

I think this is a rather unique song. It uses a keyboard that I'm not sure she's used in any other song, and the live versions have been very different to the original version. The studio version is so light and haunting. I don't like it as much as the versions live with the band, but it's still a good song and musically it's excellent.
But what I like most is how she's been able to transform this song over the years! Tori made it so that it was really flexible, which was first demonstrated in her 1996 tour when she chose to perform this song on the harpsichord. It's interesting to hear it done that way. And then after that, she started playing it with the band, and that's REALLY different. And really good. It's a very slow song, but it doesn't tend to drag. A really good example of a performance of this song with the band would be Welcome to Sunny Florida in 2003.
I just love to hear what Tori can do with her own creations. It's really amazing, and I can relate to it too. :wink:

#119: Riot Poof
Album: To Venus and Back (1999)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ynpid5UNmE
So you burn your pagoda
Through the congo
Till there's a broken bond
On the birth of the search
White trash my native son

Yes, Riot POOF. P-O-O-F. There's no R, people!
This one actually took a while to grow on me, but I found a lot more appreciation for it after I heard an absolutely kickass performance of it. This one was from the filmed show in Las Vegas for the 5 1/2 week tour. I think that performance just made me gain a ton of respect for the studio version, which possibly isn't the most creative thing ever, but it does have a lot of unique aspects to it. I just love how unique Tori can be. :D
I'd also like to add something about how cryptic the lyrics are for this one. There are a few Tori songs that I just can't understand but I like them anyway for the music, and this is one of them. My best guess would be that it's about how groups of people can't accept other groups of people. So sort of like politics.

#118: Mother Revolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMXbULOauZc
A wife on loan in a cafe
In old El Paso
Next I go to
Seven Gates and my sister's Bass Bonanza

Only #118 and we're already getting into the songs that I REALLY love. It was sooooo hard to order these, and on different days the order could be different because opinions change, but I'll be sticking with my pre-prepared list for the countdown.
This is the second song from Beekeeper on the list, and just like the last one, it features a gospel choir. The Beekeeper is, for the most part, a very light album and I am one of those who loves it. This song just chains beautiful chord after beautiful chord together, and Tori also sings it beautifully. I don't have an awful lot to say about it, but it's a great song nonetheless.

#117: Mr. Zebra
Album: Boys For Pele (1996)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEF2isi4T6o
Ratatouille Strychnine
Sometimes she's a friend of mine
With a gigantic whirlpool
That will blow your mind

In proportion to the size of the album, there aren't all that many BFP songs on this list. That already says a lot about how this short song managed to get on the list, but despite it being a short song, don't fall for the illusion that it's simple, because oh boy, it's not. BFP was largely a breakup album, but I don't see that at all in this song. I don't see a lot of anything to be quite honest. Between LE and UTP, Tori didn't change up her style all that much, but in BFP it was very, very different, and this is very noticeable in the lyrics as well as the style of music. BFP was the turning point for the lyrics, if you will. Some of the earlier stuff made sense without having to decipher it, but me and my mother often like to joke about how Tori songs aren't meant to make sense. I mean, Ratatouille, strychnine and gigantic whirlpools... And Mrs. Crocodile buried someone alive? What's going on?!
"Figure it out". :wink:

#116: Jackie's Strength
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSjsDkJOqhM
Make me laugh
Say you know what you want
You said we were the real thing
So I show you some more and I learn
What black magic can do

I reckon I'm the one that Mrs. Crocodile is going to bury alive on this one though. :lol: :oops:
Truth be told, I've never found the true beauty in this song that so many people have found, >>>BUT<<< I can still appreciate it and I know it means a lot to Tori. The combination of orchestra and band is used nicely, but in my opinion (please don't bite my head off) she's utilized it a bit better in other songs. I know a lot will disagree, but let opinions be personal and all respect each other, ok? :lol:
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby LaserTrap » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:34 pm

More, you all ask? More, I give. Yes yes, I know you all love this thread :oops:

#115: Sweet Sangria
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwyCe7Jkbdg
Balmy days sweet sangria
She's been gone
Have you seen her
Señorita shyly turning away
Leaving me our fading flame

It's groovy and it's got good lyrics. Like Scarlet's Walk (the song), this appeared as part of Isabel's set on the ADP tour in 2007, as she was the more political of the dolls, and often had lyrics that touched upon controversial topics. I didn't mention this already, but none of Isabel's album tracks actually made it to this list (Dark Side of the Sun was close, for the record) but quite a few songs that sometimes appeared in her live set will be on the list.
So, why do I like this song? I like it for the feel she gives it. It's a slow groove that would usually be a bit more relaxing, but there's an element of harshness that Tori also mixes in to work well with the lyrics. Scarlet just needs to address the issues she's seen and she wants it to be to the point. It's great musically.

#114: Never Seen Blue
Single: Jackie's Strength (1998)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4SMlBWX64
I’ve never seen blue
Like the blues he drives
In and around
And through me again

I love it! It's simple, so I can see why Tori didn't release it with the album assuming it had been finished at that time, but I'm glad she did release it, which I know she hasn't done with every song. Sometimes you have to appreciate things for how simple they are, and this song is one of those things. :)
I also love the imagery she adds in with the lyrics. It makes the song feel even prettier and almost delicate. I like it when Tori is able to use the lyrics she writes to boost the feel of the music she writes.

#113: Icicle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll_tcHoOVDw
Greeting the monster in our easter dresses
Father says bow your head like the good book says
Well I think the good book is missing some pages
Gonna lay down
Gonna lay down

Heh, what a weird song. Pretty, yes, but weird, and it's weird without even counting the bizarre intro. :D
It wasn't until shortly before I had the idea of making this countdown that I realized what this song is about. I'm not sure if it's hilarious or disgusting or something else, but I still like it. The simple idea is that it's about going slightly against the Bible, or manipulating it as people do and taking part in... acts... that it doesn't mention. After the strange intro which many people probably forget, it breaks into an arguably more peaceful tune, but then the suggestive lyrics (to say the very least) get added on top of it, and once I tried to analyze the song musically my head kind of exploded a little. This simple seeming song is far from it, let me tell you. It's got about 5500 layers, and I think the good song is missing some pages.

#112: Iieee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vb_IYIvv6g
Just say yes
You little arsonist
You're so sure you can save
Every hair on my chest

Well, I'll start off by saying how awesome it was to hear this again in the 2017 tour, opening most of the shows! I went to see her London show and it did not disappoint. She played this and I think we all loved it! :D
It's one of her very different songs, and those bass drops at the beginning are just fabulous. Then the guitar comes in and you kind of have to wonder what kind of song you're in for, and it gets stranger again with the creepy vocals. I believe she said the song was about a recurring dream she would have, and "iieee" was something that this little boy would say. I'd have to watch the storytellers episode again to be sure, but for now you can see how much research I didn't do this time :oops:
All in all, I like how much she added to the song, and it was in danger of going over the top with all the electric instruments and strange effects, but it didn't fall into that as much as some of the other FTCH songs did.

#111: Don't Make Me Come to Vegas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhDuCBQTFeU
My old flame was a jester and a joker
And as healer of men, they called him the prince
Prince of black jacks and of women
And of anything that's slipped into his hands

So I have to quickly tell a story of how this song became a meme for me. It's not the most exciting story in the world, but anyway... My girlfriend and I have a Spotify playlist that we tend to listen to when travelling together, and every time we listen to it, this song ALWAYS plays. I seriously don't think there's been a single time it hasn't come up, and this playlist has over 180 songs and we always play it on shuffle.
But enough of my silly life! This song is a very different kind of groove to Sweet Sangria, because it's not meant to be quite as serious. With a chorus like this song, it's very clearly meant to be a Scarlet song, and although it's not the best of them, it's still quite graceful.

As a side note, I know there wasn't a lot of album variation in these 5 songs, but the next 5 will have more. The songs so far have only been 1992 to 2005, and I don't want to create the impression that I don't like her later stuff when I really do. :P
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby LaserTrap » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:23 pm

#110: Spring Haze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tco5z5JckiA
And my only way, way out is to go
So far in
Billowing out to somewhere
Billowing out
Luna Riviera
Billowing out to somewhere

There are multiple interpretations of what this song is about. Some people say it's about a love affair (typical Tori), but I'd lean more to believing that it's actually about the JFK Jr. plane crash. It could even be about something completely different, because we never truly know with that mischievous Tori. Seriously, "why does it always end up like this" could refer to almost anything. :P
And of course, the song is musically excellent. The bass in this song just sounds really smooth in the texture during the slower parts leading into the faster parts. There's not really a clash between those two parts; it's really subtle and it does it in a way that you just wouldn't question the change in style of music from what you were just listening to in that same song. I hope that makes sense, it does for me but it's kind of hard to explain. :lol:

#109: Professional Widow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QcB6O4Uytg
Rest your shoulder Peaches and Cream
Everywhere a Judas as fast as you can see
Beautiful angel
Calling "We got every re-run of Muhammad Ali"

Out of all the songs from BFP, this has got to be the most different of the bunch. It's a freaking rock harpsichord song.
Unfortunately, this song's reputation is ruined because for some reason, Tori loves the remixes so much and everyone else seems to hate them, me included. She even used the remix of this song to play during the interludes of her 2007 tour. I don't get what's wrong with the real song. She never actually played the rock harpsichord version live, but she did play it on piano instead which I kind of like a bit more, but you have to give her points for originality and probably bravery as well for using the harpsichord in this song. Interestingly, she played yet another unique version of this song when she toured in 1996, which was played on the harmonium. The only similarity between it and the studio version is the lyrics. But you should (almost) never question Tori, I suppose.

#108: Give
Album: Abnormally Attracted to Sin (2009)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIa1Z0nk23s
Soon, before the sun
Before the sun begins to rise
I know that I, I must give
So that I, I can live

Certainly a dark way to start off the album. I'm not too sure on the meaning of this song once again, but the lyrics are somewhat mysterious and the music to go with it is haunting and sinister. She hadn't done a song quite like this before (I think?) and it's a pretty good result. Not a lot to say about it though, I just like the strange mix of chords for the song.

#107: Carbon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5rwubo1NK4
Bear claw free fall
A gunner's view black and blue
Shred in ribbons of lithium
Blow by blow
Her mind cut in sheets
Layers deep now unravelling

I really feel like this is one of those that I will personally regret putting it this low later on. It hasn't fully grown on me yet, but it's getting there, closer every time I listen to it. :lol:
For a while I was actually missing out on the brilliance of this song which is probably why it's taking so long to grow on me. I had heard most of the studio versions of the SW songs, but this one and Gold Dust were the last ones that I had to hear. But I listened to a lot of the Legs and Boots shows from 2007 and there were a couple of times where she did a solo performance of this song and I thought that it was okay, but not brilliant. As I said though, I was missing out.
I'm not entirely sure why it took until 2009 to play this with the band, and she didn't even use the 2007 tour as her chance to play it with a guitar as well as bass and drums, so for me this song will always be one that's better on the CD unless she decides to tour with the band again, which feels highly unlikely. This song really is beautiful.

#106: Code Red
Album: American Doll Posse (2007)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzx2rdHh5lY
A six pack of Coke and a bottle of Jack
"Whatever you do" he said "look after that," yeah well
Being trusted and lusted
It could be worse than that

It comes from a very messy album, but despite being messy it's got a few good songs. This is one of them.
Tori split herself into 5 different dolls for this and assigned different songs to them, and this one just so happens to be a song for Tori herself. It's a very deep song, and it could almost be passed off for a Pip song, but it's a little too relaxed for that. the pace of it is more like a Clyde song (who is by FAR the best doll in my opinion). The contrast of Tori's soft vocals in this song against the harsh notes played by the band is rather interesting, possibly not what I would have done but it doesn't take away from the song too much. She chose this song to finish the main set of every show in 2007, and I think it's a strong choice to close it. She was also a fair bit more aggressive with the song in those performances which I mostly liked a bit better than the studio version.

I would love some feedback if anyone is actually interested in this list, but I'll still keep going because it's started now. :P
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby LaserTrap » Tue May 01, 2018 5:56 pm

#105: The Wrong Band
A;bum: Under the Pink (1994)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmn2phmLhYk
I called her up
And I said you know that I'm drowning
Put on your raincoat again
'Cause even the sun's got a price on it
And there's something believing
In her voice again

Would someone please tell me why this song is hated? I understand the hate for most of her songs whether I agree with it or not, but I don't understand it on this one. It's a light and happy song, rather catchy and actually her rarest song from UTP to perform. The lyrics are nice and kind of funny at times, and I really like the meaning behind this one. I'm pretty sure it's just about finding the right place to be, and helping others believe in themselves and we could all do with people believing in us sometimes.

#104: I Can't See New York
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm0ZHQ5dzPM
From here crystal meth
In meters of millions
In the end all we have
Soul blueprint
Did we get lost in it
Do we conduct a search

There are days when I do want to listen to this song and there are days when I don't, so that's why I've only put it at 104 on my list. For me I have to really be in the mood for this because it's a long song, but it's one of those slow songs that I just have to be feeling it. Yeah, I just repeated myself a couple of times but I have no idea how to explain it.
That being said, it really is beautiful. Many people think this song is about 9/11 (which, fun fact, is my birthday :lol: :oops: ) which in some ways it is, but it's more about how she was there in New York on that day and how it changed her and so many others. She allows her emotions to shine right through in this song and shows quite a clear spiritual connection to the event.

#103: Welcome to England
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEStUwZE9Q8
You’ve been down before
Boy and I like this
I’m in quicksand
I am sinking fast

In early 2010, my mother collected me from school at the end of the school day and she told me that she'd been to the library and checked out the new Tori Amos CD, and naturally, my response was "I don't believe you!" I was 8 years old at the time and had been listening to Tori for at least 3 years at this point. I didn't know what to think of the album at first, but this was one of the first songs that I really attached myself to from this album. I had also already been told that there was a song called welcome to England on the album because she had moved to England, but I think the song is about a little bit more than that. There's a rumor out there that it's actually about Tori's marriage problems with her husband Mark Hawley who is from England. But either way, the "bring your own sun" line is absolutely true because I am also from America living in England and that sun does not like to come out as much as it should. Rainy days every day... :-? :lol:

#102: Marianne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaoWcnEJ-68
The weasel squeaks faster than a seven day week
I said Timmy and that purple monkey
Are all down
At Bobby's house
Making themselves pesters and lesters and jesters and my
Traitors of kind

I hope it isn't considered offensive to rank Marianne's song so low, but that's what I'm doing...
I believe the story goes that Marianne was a girl that Tori knew from her school who died at the age of 15 and some people were saying that she killed herself. Tori seemed to take a clear stance that she did not in fact do so, and she had actually been playing this song a fair bit before its release on BFP, although it may not have been fully developed until that time. If my sources are correct, Tori had actually played in bars and such when she was younger, before even the release of Y Kant Tori Read, and this was one of the songs she used to play, and of course, this song is beautiful and mourning in every way. However, I have never quite understood the opening lyrics of this song. Is she really throwing a sex reference into this or has my mind been polluted too far?

#101: Body and Soul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nloj6Ic93qQ
Seven devils bring them on
I have left my weapons
'Cause I think you're wrong
These devils of yours they need love

Barely missing out, we have one of the rock Tori songs! It's a lot of fun, and it's the only song on the main album which is shared by two of the dolls, Pip and Santa. It's verging on dark, just like a regular Pip song, but it goes about the usual Tori themes of violence, politics and organized religion in a rather different way since Santa is also part of the song. Rather than just making a grabbing semantic field of the world's problems, the approach is slightly more aggressive but also rather sexual. And that makes for an interesting (but great!) song.

Coming soon: The top 100! :D
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby Carbon » Wed May 02, 2018 6:00 am

Sorry for ignoring this, I’m all over the place lately so I forget things.

Will comment in more detail later tonight!

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby LaserTrap » Wed May 02, 2018 5:50 pm

Heh heh, you don't have to worry! I know I'm basically talking to thin air across the internet but I want this to be somewhere other than on my own computer. It's one of those things I just feel that I want to put out there, and Tori is awesome and she deserves any extra promotion she can get.
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby LaserTrap » Fri May 04, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm not abandoning this, I just can't post until Monday
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby CrazyCrazy » Fri May 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Hello :D

I'll be checking this out, you know what...I've been a fan for years but still have so much to explore and connect with properly.

Songs I know and like so far:

#121: Hotel
#123: Scarlet's Walk
#116: Jackie's Strength
#117: Mr. Zebra
#112: Iieee
#107: Carbon
#108: Give
#109: Professional Widow
#102: Marianne
#103: Welcome to England

I've listened to most of the others but don't really remember them well or know them well right now so will go over them when I have a Tori phase, whenever I have a Tori phase I always try and listen to a new area of her discography too.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby LaserTrap » Mon May 07, 2018 2:57 pm

I'm back! Now let's kick off this top 100!

#100: Not Dying Today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zoYNyamyu8
Neil is thrilled he can claim he's a mammalian
"but the bad news," he said "Girl you're a dandelion."
Dandelion. Hey I need to think about that.
Yeah, I thought about that and I said, "What the Hell?"
He said, "Nope, you are Earth bound, blow them seeds away
maybe one will make a sound."

In your face, haters! This was voted to be her 2nd worst song, but I've always loved it. I don't understand the hate at all, but apparently it's really embarrassing. Is it because it's too catchy for your own good?
I actually really like the opening lyrics. I can kind of relate to it, because I think it's about discovering yourself and sort of how people can suddenly change, when you least expect it. This was probably one of my favorites when I first listened to the album, so it was kind of a shock finding out that it was really hated.
(I also don't understand the hate for Ireland, but that unfortunately didn't make my list. I considered it, but I considered hundreds of others too, quite literally.)

#99: Witness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd5xG-PJe5Y
Gotta rise in the night
Pick myself off the floor
I know now that it's over
Had a life before
You left me burnin' in
Your petrol emotion
Your petrol emotion
Wanting more

More overlooked Beekeeper songs, coming right at you. I don't know how to explain the song, or why I like it, but I like it and it got here on the list. She's only played it live once and it needs some more love.

#98: Pancake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU0iyBsdxCA
Oh Zion please
Remove your glove
And dispel every trace
Of his spoken word
That has lodged
In my vortex

I kind of find it funny how a song named Pancake seems sort of edgy. Nevertheless, it's a great one, and another one that I got to hear live in 2017, with added lyrics from "Mary's Eyes" (Native Invader). It's another one of Scarlet's deep and semi-political songs, and I see the lyrics as designed to make us all think. And of course, in true SW fashion, it's got a gorgeous texture of instruments, using one of her keyboards and also featuring a guitar part to smooth out the song.

#97: Bouncing Off Clouds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhEF3WZ1puM
Well you can stare all day at the sky
But that won't bring her back
That won't bring her back
You say you're waiting on fate
But I think fate is now
I think fate is now
Waiting on us

Clyde is by far my favorite doll because all of her songs are "happy sad", to use a term from Sing Street. This is a fairly fun song, ignoring the messy concept of the album it originated from, and she actually played it in somewhere around 70% of her 2007 shows even though it was meant to be for Clyde. I don't think the "Tori" versions were any different, but you could tell she really liked the song for it to be one of those that made a cheeky cross of the doll borders. And it certainly is a bouncy song, although perhaps not her most unique. I found it a little disappointing the first time I heard it, I have to confess, but I like it more now.

#96: Northern Lad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD5_RqejCYE
Had a northern lad
Well not exactly had
He moved like the sunset
God who painted that
First he loved my accent
How his knees could bend
I thought we'd be ok
Me and my molasses

Musically, I kind of see this song as Hey Jupiter's long lost sister. Not necessarily by lyrics, though.
Again, not much to say about this one... Long weekend, I guess? My brain's a bit scrambled right now, but just take my word for me liking this one, okay? :lol:
I also won't be taking a 6 day break before the next post :oops:
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby LaserTrap » Wed May 09, 2018 6:55 pm

#95: Fearlessness
Album: Night of Hunters (2011)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4wCq17dpJs
Day turned night when he questioned
Why can't you balance the sky?
Souless storms have sent watchers
With bladeless weapons to fight

(Sorry, I couldn't find the studio version on YouTube. I know this one also has Mr. Zebra, but it was the best quality performance I found.)
Here's the first NOH song from my list. The album is an orchestral one, using other peoples' symphonies and whatnot with Tori's own added lyrics. I've always really liked this one, but I do think I actually need to spend more time with the album in general. I don't own it, which is the problem, but I've heard all of the songs a few times and this was even my favorite at one point. I love the eerie start, and it easily makes you wonder where the story is going to go next (it's a story-telling album). Sure is a great one! :)

#94: Ruby Through the Looking Glass
EP: Scarlet's Hidden Treasures (2004)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SFIcyAlngE
When I said I wanted it all
Doesn't every woman want it all
As a man do you find
Doesn't every boy smoke to cry, cry

Honestly... Any song from the Scarlet era is a massive win. I like this a lot (obviously) but I have to admit it took me a while to recognize it when Tori started playing it in London, partially because she changed the key, but in my opinion it sounded better in that key. Regardless, what a moving piece, and very deep like the usual Scarlet songs. I think the "riff" (is that what you call it for piano?) sounds a bit like Siren too, but maybe that's just me. :lol:

#93: Talula
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgHlNeoAH1A
And Jamaica
Do you know what I have done
Mary M weaving on said
What you want is in the blood senators

Talula is one of the more driven songs from BFP, I would say. It feels really positive, and the harpsichord isn't anywhere near as harsh as it is in some of the other songs. I find it interesting that Tori chose to include the Tornado Mix on the album over the original version, but I think I prefer it, so it was probably a good choice. I expect very few people have even heard the original, and I linked the Tornado Mix simply because it's the album version.
Anyway, this is a great song, and very popular too. She gets requests for it quite a lot, and it's seen tons of different adaptions for live performances over the years too. I do love it when Tori is able to do that. :D

#92: Alamo
Single: Talula (1996)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd-k91cr_DM
Tears on my pillow
Of course they're not mine
Alter that altar
Making a play
Somebody invent the telephone line
I'll take my chances

The rare B-side from the BFP era that I actually like! :lol:
It's hard not to like that piano part. I feel like the piano parts to some of the BFP B-sides didn't have much time spent with them, but this one deserved a spot on the album over a couple of the songs, seriously. Just gorgeous. And to think that I can write this positively about the songs at only #92...

#91: Curtain Call
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Is-S8F-tY
By the time you're 25, they will say
You've gone and blown it
By the time you're 35, I must confide
You will have blown them up

We finish this set with a fairly depressing song. I went through a phase where I listened to this a lot because I had no idea what I was doing and I was an edgy emo kid, and this happened to be my depressed anthem. Yeah, I'm sure I could have found more depressing songs, but I refused to listen to anything other than Tori Amos and video games music. But this was one of the saddest Tori songs I found, and I also really liked the piano part.
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby Carbon » Thu May 10, 2018 4:54 am

There are too many Scarlet songs so low!! Not Dying Today over a lot of them?!

Tbh I don’t hate NDT as much other people (Imo the worst is probably Mary Jane or something from the Xmas album

Need to comment in detail, and I know I keep saying this all the time, I just never venture into the personal charts anymore so I forget :oops:

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby LaserTrap » Thu May 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Don't you worry about old Scarlet. She'll be back ;)
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby LaserTrap » Sat May 12, 2018 12:58 pm

#90: Josephine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UBkAA644vU
In the last extremity
To advance or not to advance
I hear you laughing
Even still you're calling me

Ahhh, short and sweet. One of the most beautiful songs from Venus, and probably one of those to use the least special effects too, which may have some correlation, but despite being one of the very few songs of the era to steer clear of most effects, I almost feel as if this song is more of a hidden gem than a stand out gem. You would think that it would stand out more for not using special effects in that time, but it's just not often remembered, sadly. I was really surprised to hear this in London, and she played it beautifully then too. Overall it's simplistic but sometimes we need to be able to appreciate the simple as well as the complex. Even the lyrics aren't as cryptic as they could be considering it's Tori Amos, and they're pretty beautiful too. Just a beautiful song over all :D

#89: Shattering Sea
Album: Night of Hunters (2011)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm1NffeE3Mg
He gets his power from tide and wave
The grains of sand are my domain
His tempest surged and angry flesh
And through my arms formed a sea of glass

A strong start to the orchestral album in my opinion, and mostly very Tori. I love the haunting lines and the clashes in the orchestra and how it just portrays a violent shatter across a stormy ocean. The only part I don't really like is the ending, because I don't think it feels like Tori, just finishing abruptly like that. While it can be pulled off sometimes, I think this particular ending is lacking some sort of dynamic to be able to make the ending effective. Other than that, it's great.

#88: Upside Down 2
Album: Native Invader Deluxe Edition (2017)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0zdQAnS_OE
Those smiling faces
We've worn them before
Watch the boats go by
No that is not our life
Not today
Not today
Some things work out that way

The name is a little confusing. It's not in fact a sequel to the LE B-side Upside Down, but rather another song that she wanted to call Upside Down but the name was already taken. It's quite different, but still touching, and soft, and the chords used make it sound rather misty and still somewhat peaceful. I feel like I can see an empty lake as a lone boat glides through the water, and it just makes me feel a bit sad listening to the song, which is what it's meant to be like. I'm also glad that she kept this as just piano and voice, considering a few of her 2017 songs took a step a little too far in the modern fake instruments direction.

#87: Digital Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBGXGUL-8Z4
Hands lay them on my keys
Let me play you again
I am not immune to your net
Find me there in it
I won't go even if in
Your heart only beats ones and O's

Good stuff. I do have another complaint with this one though, and that's the key changes all over the place. It's not quite as messy as the album it came from, but it can still seem a little messy and not too many people like this one as much as I do. I would also like to point out that I'm aware that it may seem backwards for me to be criticizing songs that I've put higher up on the list, but in many ways I find it easier to criticize the things I like the most. But, as usual, I've gone off topic... :lol:

#86: Precious Things
Album: Little Earthquakes (1992)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Croz1_USr3U
He said you're really an ugly girl
But I like the way you play
And I died
But I thanked him
Can you believe that
Sick, sick, holding on to his picture
Dressing up every day

...Here's your reminder that this is my personal list, and not a list of the most popular songs...
This is in fact Tori's most played live song, being done at approximately 68% of her shows. Now that's a whole load. But this song is very important to her, being about her experiences being sexually abused. Before Tori, nobody had really been able to speak out about this, and suddenly there she was, which is why this song is one of her most popular songs out there. And it's still relevant today, because these things still happen, which is rather troubling, but I suppose we can't just expect it to vanish in a snap. People still love it, too. This was the first song of the encore in her 2017 London show, and the crowd let out one of the biggest cheers of the night. It must be that people find her very brave to speak up against it all, and I would agree that it is indeed very brave. It's just not my favorite Tori song, that's all! :D
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby Carbon » Sun May 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Josephine is my fave from this group, very understated and overlooked! Love the historical theme in what is essentially a love song.

Shattering Sea is too melodramatic for me, never liked it.

Upside Down 2 - doesn’t do anything for me, like most of NI

Digital Ghost is quite pretty and would benefif from a better production, like most of ADP.

Precious Things is powerful and should’ve been a single!

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby LaserTrap » Mon May 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Carbon wrote:Upside Down 2 - doesn’t do anything for me, like most of NI
Yeah... She really got our hopes up with UG, so I really couldn't understand NI the first time I listened to it :(
On the other hand, making this list made me realize I liked more songs from the album than I thought, it's just got a mix of really mediocre songs right at the beginning. The second half is pretty good, I would just argue that it doesn't feel like anything new. Maybe I'll have to make an album list at the end of this too.
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby LaserTrap » Wed May 16, 2018 5:14 pm

#85: Ophelia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh_Y_zrGYUI
Remember
Change waltzes in with her sister Pain
Waiting for you to send her away
Wish her well break the chain
Break the chain

Oooooh yes. Sad but inspirational! Very beautiful and it's probably Curtain Call's sister if I had to guess because they're written quite similarly. While it's not my favorite from the album, it's the one I remember first usually when I think of the album. (Oh, and I'll say this now, sorry for the short explanations but exams are going on so I want to make this quick.)

#84: Liquid Diamonds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhGETVlOM0Y
I guess I'm an underwater thing so I
Guess I can't take it personally
I guess I'm an underwater thing I'm
Liquid running
There's a sea secret in me
It's plain to see it is rising
But I must be flowing liquid diamonds
Calling for my soul

Possibly the most cryptic Tori lyrics out there. I just can't figure out what it means, and the feel of the music isn't necessarily mysterious in itself but it just adds an extra sense of mystery to the lyrics. It's hard to explain, but still. I think it's a very good song, and there are days when I feel it deserves a place higher up, but I can also justify why these next ones are better. To myself, at least. :lol:

#83: Selkie
Album: Unrepentant Geraldines (2014)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqVyYf9Bp8
Loralie sings the song for Lovers
who were torn apart then left broken hearted
Loralie hears the cry of Lovers
who the Sea of Fate has separated

Finally a UG song shows up! This is one of those songs that really made me fall in love with her again after the Gold Dust disaster, and man, is it powerful. Her piano solo songs from the recent albums have been her most powerful, and this is no exception. Very beautiful notes played at the beginning, and then a strong texture follows leading us into an emotional and amazing piece. :D

#82: Happy Phantom
Album: Little Earthquakes (1992)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE2sueNUHtY
The time is getting closer
Time to be a ghost
Every day we're getting closer
The sun is getting dim
Will we pay for who we've been?

I get the impression that people don't like this one as much, but I do. It might be because it's possibly the weirdest song from her first album, which I guess makes sense, but I've always liked the silly nature of it, really. And I do actually like that she decided to end it how she did, not really being a traditional ending. :)

#81: Dragon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJgIUWVv1zE
You touched my hand
I felt a force
You called it dark
But now I'm not so sure

Sort of relaxing and calming, and a nice end to the album. She played it with a band on the tour and I like both of the versions for what they are, but I think I like the studio version a bit better. I feel that it shows the character that the song is supposed to have and being without the band is surprisingly powerful. :P
LaserTrap
Groupie

Postby Carbon » Wed May 16, 2018 7:58 pm

I've always found Ophelia painful to listen to, her voice sounds dry and annoying, the melody goes nowhere and it's all like an uninspired pastiche of her usual ballads

Liquid Diamonds - love this, the production and mood are perfect

Selkie - very sweet with nice motifs and imagery

Happy Phantom - not a fan of these quirky songs from her tbh

Dragon - one of ADP's highlights, love the chorus

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Return to Personal Charts