Spartan's A-Z Chart (G)

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Spartan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:24 pm

I know the PC section of the forum is fairly quiet nowadays but I thought I'd do a little thread of my own. Basically it's a compilation of some of my favourite songs beginning with each letter (10 max per letter). I started a similar thing 5 years ago but gave up and I probably will give up on this one at some point. :lol:
Last edited by Spartan on Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:39 am

This is random, but of course I'll still follow it.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:01 pm

JSparksFan wrote:This is random, but of course I'll still follow it.
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks guys. I’ve also made a rule where I’ve limited the amount of songs that have also appeared on my all-time countdown just to mix it up.
Spartan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:12 pm

This sounds like a cool idea, look forward to seeing which songs make your countdown. :D
JakeP
Superstar

Postby steophonic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:34 am

Great idea - I did something similar based on my favourite artists A-Z many moons ago.

Looking forward to following this.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Spartan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:17 am

Kicking us off we have two iconic songs of different eras. Vanessa Carlton’s best known hit, A Thousand Miles, is one of the most revered songs of this century. While Addicted To Love is by far my favourite Robert Palmer song. While the both songs are insanely infectious, Carlton never managed to reach the same heights of quality as this.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:32 am

Nice presentation! :P

I love 'A Thousand Miles', it was my favourite song of 2002. At the time I also liked the follow-up 'Ordinary Day'.

Not a big fan of 'Addicted to Love'. The music video is iconic though.
Benny
Legend

Postby steophonic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:52 am

Two great songs to kick it off. The best of both artists.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby JakeP » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:14 pm

A thousand miles <3

Addicted to love is a great 80s song although more famous for its music video.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:33 am

"A Thousand Miles" is nice. I remember being annoyed by the characters' reaction to it whilst watching White Chicks, but it's good as a standalone track.

"Addicted to Love" isn't bad, but Tina Turner does it better. Robert Palmer's version is solid, too, though.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks for all the comments. I'm the one person who has never seen White Chicks despite loving Busy Phillips.

I'm back from holiday now so I'll start with regular updates.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Two quite different ballads chart here. Alfie from the legend that is Cilla Black. I'd heard this song a few times before but ultimately didn't appreciate the Bacharach number until Cilla's sad passing a few years ago, then they covered it in Glee and I was sold. The other is a duet that tore apart a marriage, Almost Here triggered Delta and Brian as a couple at the same time that he was leaving his wife. Teh song itself is a powerful love song and their voices blend very well.
Last edited by Spartan on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:17 pm

I love 'Almost Here', what a great duet! Delta Goodrem is one of my favourite female singers of the past 15 years. What a shame that her last 2 singles were disappointing.

Brian McFadden released another great song right before this duet, 'Real to Me'. It was his first solo single and originally written for Robbie Williams.
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:51 pm

Benny wrote:I love 'Almost Here', what a great duet! Delta Goodrem is one of my favourite female singers of the past 15 years. What a shame that her last 2 singles were disappointing.

Brian McFadden released another great song right before this duet, 'Real to Me'. It was his first solo single and originally written for Robbie Williams.
Yes, Real to Me was great, I preferred Irish Son though.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:34 pm

Two classic songs from the early 80s here. Though both artists have more well-known songs these are two classics that I just love. America is an anthem almost on Sweet Caroline levels that showcases Diamond’s voice. And An Innocent Man sees Billy Joel deliver one of the finest vocals of his career.
Spartan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:32 pm

Well, at least Addicted to Love is in there.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Spartan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:54 pm

As I've been away the last couple of days I thought I'd do a double update and finish off our As. A variety of songs are represented here: two musical ones; an 80s classic and a Bey ballad. Arthur's Theme is another Burt Bacharach song here, probably my favourite of his that I've heard growing up. A random Glee song featuring Sarah Jessica Parker, At The Ballet is taken from A Chorus Line and is a majestic story-telling piece. From another, more modern musical, Emma Stone's Oscar-nominated Audition (Fools Who Dream) from La La Land shows off Emma's great vocals that I wasn't aware she had. The final entry is a beautiful ballad from Beyonce, Ave Maria shows off her delicate tones in one of her strongest ballads.
Last edited by Spartan on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:33 am

"Alfie" isn't bad; it's just average for me. "Almost Here" is beautiful. I might've left my wife for Delta's chorus, too.

I feel like "America" is a pretty big classic in the US. I like it. It's definitely one of Niel's finest. "An Innocent Man" was terrific for the first three minutes. Then it started to drag, limping the last two minutes to the finish. Not a bad discovery, though. You axe those last two minutes, and you have a 9/10 track.

"Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" is one of the best New York songs. I adore it! "At the Ballet" is a little long, but I still appreciate it. "Audition (The Fools Who Dream)" is nice. "Ave Maria" is brilliant, tender, sophisticated, and one of many songs that attest to Beyoncé's standing as one of the greatest singers of her generation.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:42 am

America is nice, though I prefer a couple of other songs from Neil Diamond, namely 'Solitary Man', 'Sweet Caroline' and 'Cracklin' Rosie'.
Benny
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:24 pm

That last batch is a really strong set - Arthur's Theme seems kind of a forgotten gem today, maybe because it came from that movie. And I'm here for all things La La Land. :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Jerz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:59 am

I love the first two songs of your A-Z chart even the entries from Neil Diamond, Billy Joel and Christopher Cross.

Christopher Cross is one of the soft rock and yacht rock legends. I knew that Arthur's Theme would be the yacht rock movie theme.
Jerz
Manager

Postby Spartan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:01 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Alfie" isn't bad; it's just average for me. "Almost Here" is beautiful. I might've left my wife for Delta's chorus, too.

I feel like "America" is a pretty big classic in the US. I like it. It's definitely one of Niel's finest. "An Innocent Man" was terrific for the first three minutes. Then it started to drag, limping the last two minutes to the finish. Not a bad discovery, though. You axe those last two minutes, and you have a 9/10 track.

"Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" is one of the best New York songs. I adore it! "At the Ballet" is a little long, but I still appreciate it. "Audition (The Fools Who Dream)" is nice. "Ave Maria" is brilliant, tender, sophisticated, and one of many songs that attest to Beyoncé's standing as one of the greatest singers of her generation.
Surprised you hadn't heard Almost Here before. I agree about An Innocent Man to be honest, I tried to find a radio edit that would fix this but couldn't.

Benny wrote:America is nice, though I prefer a couple of other songs from Neil Diamond, namely 'Solitary Man', 'Sweet Caroline' and 'Cracklin' Rosie'.
Haven't heard the last song but obviously Sweet Caroline is a classic and I enjoy Solitary Man.

cheapthrills wrote:That last batch is a really strong set - Arthur's Theme seems kind of a forgotten gem today, maybe because it came from that movie. And I'm here for all things La La Land. :)
Yessss, you found something you like on my chart. :lol:

Jerz wrote:I love the first two songs of your A-Z chart even the entries from Neil Diamond, Billy Joel and Christopher Cross.

Christopher Cross is one of the soft rock and yacht rock legends. I knew that Arthur's Theme would be the yacht rock movie theme.
Yes, Arthur's Theme is so underrated.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Kicking off the Bs, we have two 21st century songs from two of my favourite artists. Believe Again is the epic 5-minuter from Delta that is an explosion of sound, while Biology is factually the greatest pop song of the 21st century. I can't get bored of either song, both are very different to the usual musicality that these artists deliver.
Last edited by Spartan on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:38 am

Don't know these 2 songs, need to check them out!
Benny
Legend

Return to Personal Charts