Spartan's A-Z Chart (H)

Moderators: trebor, tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Spartan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:28 am

Two album tracks here. One from 00s forgotten girl group The 411 and another from Maroon 5's Overexposed album. Forever Begins is a beautiful, melodic urban number with great vocals and quite deep lyrics. Fortune Teller is one of my favourite songs from my favourite Maroon 5 album - so many good tracks on it. The song is a great upbeat number for Maroon 5 - a band which has stood the test of time.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:35 am

Solo Spice Emma Bunton (aka the best one) has another song from her Free Me album chart here, the titular track is completely different from other songs - the song is pretty and vibrant. She's never had the most powerful of vocals but this is definitely one of her strongest showcases. The other entry is the classic George Michael song - Freedom '90, it's actually a fairly new discovery for me but I really enjoy the song.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:01 pm

We've got the cool, soft-rock stylings of The Cure and one of their best songs, Friday I'm In Love is both awesome and one of my karaoke songs so holds a special place in DrunkSpartan's heart. The other song is one of the highlights of the recent movie musical The Greatest Showman, From Now On highlights Hugh Jackman's strong broadway vocals.
Spartan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:55 pm

I will need a video of DrunkSpartan then.

Great pick though :)

Also love anything Greatest Showman. You should include links to your flop songs ;) I'm too lazy to Google the 411 :lol:
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Spartan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:50 pm

cheapthrills wrote:I will need a video of DrunkSpartan then.

Great pick though :)

Also love anything Greatest Showman. You should include links to your flop songs ;) I'm too lazy to Google the 411 :lol:

*gets ready for you to hate it* :lol: :lol:
Spartan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Oh I don't know. Hate is such a strong word.

I hate it though :lol:
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Spartan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:09 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Oh I don't know. Hate is such a strong word.

I hate it though :lol:
I know you *too* well. :wink:
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:51 am

"Forever Begins" is a cute song. And you weren't wrong about them being forgotten - there was only one video of the song on YouTube! "Fortune Teller" is good. I haven't heard all of M5's albums, but Overexposed is my fave of the limited ones I've heard. I think "Fortune Teller" kinda got lost in the shadows of "One More Night" and "Lucky Strike" for me, though.

"Free Me" is basic, but it's cute, albeit slightly repetitive. "Freedom! '90" is great, but then again most of George's singles are. How did you manage to avoid it all these years?

"Friday I'm in Love" is nice, nothing spectacular, but something I wouldn't mind hearing. I could see this growing on me. "From Now On" is good...and then the choir joins in around 3:19, and elevates the song to an epic level.
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:33 pm

Both 'Freedom' and 'Friday I'm in Love' are nice. :P
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:45 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Forever Begins" is a cute song. And you weren't wrong about them being forgotten - there was only one video of the song on YouTube! "Fortune Teller" is good. I haven't heard all of M5's albums, but Overexposed is my fave of the limited ones I've heard. I think "Fortune Teller" kinda got lost in the shadows of "One More Night" and "Lucky Strike" for me, though.

"Free Me" is basic, but it's cute, albeit slightly repetitive. "Freedom! '90" is great, but then again most of George's singles are. How did you manage to avoid it all these years?

"Friday I'm in Love" is nice, nothing spectacular, but something I wouldn't mind hearing. I could see this growing on me. "From Now On" is good...and then the choir joins in around 3:19, and elevates the song to an epic level.
One More Night is so underrated IMO, much better than Payphone (which I'd regard as one of the worst songs on the album). I miss all those 00s bands who released one album before being dropped by their record label. I'm not sure how I manged to avoid Freedom.

I wasn't sure if you'd seen "The Greatest Showman" but I'd recommend the film.

Benny wrote:Both 'Freedom' and 'Friday I'm in Love' are nice. :P
Always here for the classics Benny. :wink:
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:51 pm

The Saturdays' song Get Ready Get Set screamed of being a potential single but the single campaigns were dropped after the third one. The verses are upbeat and poppy before the rapid chorus kicks in and sets the song alight. Another song from ABBA here is Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight). It feels so weird to be charting these song as I wouldn't even rank it in my Top 10 ABBA songs but I can't deny how insatiably catchy it is.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:29 pm

GGG is one of the best songs. Ever. The intro, the melody, the chorus - it's pure pop perfection!
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:39 pm

One thing this countdown has been lacking is Girls Aloud but, fear no further, here's Girl Overboard a fierce, upbeat song that wasn't even a single but should've been released. It's a classic Girls Aloud track and a fan favourite. The next song is the best thing All-American Rejects have released (just ahead of It Ends Tonight) but Gives You Hell has an enchanting chant of a chorus that will be stuck in your head for days.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Benny wrote:GGG is one of the best songs. Ever. The intro, the melody, the chorus - it's pure pop perfection!
Knew you'd love it, plenty more ABBA to come in this thread (unsurprisingly). :wink:
Spartan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:53 pm

Oh I forgot how much I loved Gives You Hell. Great pick :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Spartan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:24 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Oh I forgot how much I loved Gives You Hell. Great pick :D
Finally you get some good taste. :lol: <3
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:55 pm

'Gives You Hell' is okay, I prefer 'Move Along' from the AA Rejcets. :P
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:30 am

Benny wrote:'Gives You Hell' is okay, I prefer 'Move Along' from the AA Rejcets. :P
I checked it out and it's a good song, hopefully a grower.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:30 am

Two random songs here - one from a boyband, and another rather unknown song. I haven't really enjoyed boybands for a while but The Wanted certainly had a few great songs and Glad You Came is no exception. An infectious beat, and I love the linking of lyrics from one line to the next. I first heard Glitter and Gold in a nightclub in Budapest and have loved it ever since, I feel it's probably not very well known but has a few million viewers on YouTube - it is a fantastic rock song.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:21 pm

Spartan wrote: I haven't really enjoyed boybands for a while but The Wanted certainly had a few great songs and Glad You Came is no exception.
Yes, indeed, 'Glad You Came', 'Lightning', 'Warzone' and 'Show Me Love (America)' are all great! :D
Benny
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:01 am

"Get Ready, Get Set" is a song that I really should like on paper, but it doesn't do much for me. "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" is a song that I'm loving more as I get older. Not sure why. :oops: :lol:

Listen, I don't know what it is about "Girl Overboard", but that song does something to me. It's so infectious and explosively, unashamedly, and relentlessly pop! I included it among my all-time favourite songs five years ago, and I'd do the same today. "Gives You Hell" is definitely chant-worthy. I'm getting old because I vividly remember the time it was released, and me being confused at how much I liked this song from a band that was hardly near my radar. The Glee Cast version is even better, though.

"Glad You Came" is terrific. It's ageing well, too. The fangirls kinda made me think of the song in a more...explicit way, but it's fun pop done well. I've heard "Glitter & Gold", but I'm not sure where! I like it, though.

Spartan wrote:I wasn't sure if you'd seen "The Greatest Showman" but I'd recommend the film.
Yeah, Zac Efron in tight dress pants would've gotten me to the theatre on opening night 10 years ago, but I kinda let that one slip by. I might watch it online during one of my days off this holiday season, though! :D
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Benny wrote:
Spartan wrote: I haven't really enjoyed boybands for a while but The Wanted certainly had a few great songs and Glad You Came is no exception.
Yes, indeed, 'Glad You Came', 'Lightning', 'Warzone' and 'Show Me Love (America)' are all great! :D
One of those songs will definitely feature on my countdown, it's my favourite song of theirs.

JSparksFan wrote:"Get Ready, Get Set" is a song that I really should like on paper, but it doesn't do much for me. "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" is a song that I'm loving more as I get older. Not sure why. :oops: :lol:

Listen, I don't know what it is about "Girl Overboard", but that song does something to me. It's so infectious and explosively, unashamedly, and relentlessly pop! I included it among my all-time favourite songs five years ago, and I'd do the same today. "Gives You Hell" is definitely chant-worthy. I'm getting old because I vividly remember the time it was released, and me being confused at how much I liked this song from a band that was hardly near my radar. The Glee Cast version is even better, though.

"Glad You Came" is terrific. It's ageing well, too. The fangirls kinda made me think of the song in a more...explicit way, but it's fun pop done well. I've heard "Glitter & Gold", but I'm not sure where! I like it, though.

Spartan wrote:I wasn't sure if you'd seen "The Greatest Showman" but I'd recommend the film.
Yeah, Zac Efron in tight dress pants would've gotten me to the theatre on opening night 10 years ago, but I kinda let that one slip by. I might watch it online during one of my days off this holiday season, though! :D
I put Glitter & Gold on the UKMIX Spotify playlist if you checked that out. I love your love for Girl Overboard.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Laura Branigan's signature hit Gloria is a fantastic classic of a song, and arguably her best along with Self Control. The other song is a rather bizarre entry and that is Jessica Lange's version of Lana Del Rey's Gods And Monsters - it was used in an episode of American Horror Story and I fell in love with it ever since, even with her put-on German accent on the vocals.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:30 pm

'Gloria' is great, I re-discovered it this year when it was featured in an episode of 'American Crime Story - The Assassination of Gianni Versace'.
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Benny wrote:'Gloria' is great, I re-discovered it this year when it was featured in an episode of 'American Crime Story - The Assassination of Gianni Versace'.
I feel like I should've seen the show through, I gave up after the first episode.
Spartan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts