Spartan's A-Z Chart (D)

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Spartan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Benny wrote:Don't know these 2 songs, need to check them out!
I certainly think you'd love Believe Again, and check out Biology - not sure if it's up your street but it's great IMO.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:44 pm

One hit wonder Meredith Brooks charts with her rocky anthem Bitch. One of the most well recognised songs of the 90s and deservedly so, the track highlights her strong vocals. Robbie Williams' lesser known single Bodies is so underrated. Even though he hasn't been as popular as he used to, this single is a little bit edgy for him and shows that there's still a place in the music industry for Williams.
Last edited by Spartan on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:39 pm

"Believe Again" is sublime, and "Biology" is the song I most closely associate with you. (It's among my top 10 GA songs, too).

I don't know where I heard "Bitch" before, but I definitely remember its chorus. Good song! Uber anthemic. "Bodies" is okay, but Robbie certainly has better, though the song does get better as it goes along. I suspect it might be a grower, though, so I'll earmark and revisit it soon.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:40 am

'Bitch' is okay but a bit overplayed. Not a big fan of 'Bodies', Robbie has a few better songs.
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:02 am

JSparksFan wrote:"Believe Again" is sublime, and "Biology" is the song I most closely associate with you. (It's among my top 10 GA songs, too).

I don't know where I heard "Bitch" before, but I definitely remember its chorus. Good song! Uber anthemic. "Bodies" is okay, but Robbie certainly has better, though the song does get better as it goes along. I suspect it might be a grower, though, so I'll earmark and revisit it soon.
I knew the Believe Again/Biology combo would be a winner with you. <3
Might've heard Bitch on the radio perhaps? Or maybe you're thinking of the Glee cover version they did.

Benny wrote:'Bitch' is okay but a bit overplayed. Not a big fan of 'Bodies', Robbie has a few better songs.
I'd definitely agree with this.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:04 am

The uber-talented Sara Bareilles (she composed the music to the brilliant Broadway show Waitress) delivers her best song her with Brave - a song about empowerment and acceptance. Rihanna charts here with an album track about destroying crockery - Breakin' Dishes is one of the best tracks from Good Girl Gone Bad.
Last edited by Spartan on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:07 am

'Brave' is absolutely fantastic, especially due to the lyrics! One of the best songs of the past 5 years.
Benny
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:51 pm

"Brave" is brilliant. Lyrically, it hits so hard. :cry:

"Breakin' Dishes" is also brilliant. I love Rihanna's ferocity on that track. After all these years, I still think it's her finest non-single.

Spartan wrote:I knew the Believe Again/Biology combo would be a winner with you. <3
Might've heard Bitch on the radio perhaps? Or maybe you're thinking of the Glee cover version they did.
You're right. It was probably Glee.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:22 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Breakin' Dishes" is also brilliant. I love Rihanna's ferocity on that track. After all these years, I still think it's her finest non-single.
She's got a couple of others which I consider better that may chart here. :wink:
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Simon and Garfunkel's most well-known song Bridge Over Troubled Water. Aside from the brilliant lyrics and great vocals, I think it's the structure of the song that really sells it for me. It's a classic and deservedly so. Icon Alesha Dixon is one of the most underrated UK pop-urban acts and only has a small handful of hits - Breathe Slow being one of her more well known ones - it's a lush ballad.
Last edited by Spartan on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:06 pm

The last minute of 'Bridge' is the definition of epic.
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:52 pm

A dark rock-pop song with Evanescence's Bring Me To Life set chart alight in the early 2000s and still holds up pretty well today. While La Roux's Bulletproof maybe hasn't been as timeless but still maintains being a great pop song with some fierce vocals.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:26 pm

I like both songs, the first one more than the second.
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:25 pm

Benny wrote:I like both songs, the first one more than the second.
Thanks, and I agree with you!
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:26 pm

California King Bed is one of Rihanna's most underrated singles, and certainly a highlight from the brilliant 'Loud' album. i think a lot of people have forgotten about how many good singles she churned out in that era. The second entry comes courtesy of a lesser well-known ABBA song, I originally discovered Cassandra through Benny and would now rank it in my Top 10 ABBA songs of all-time.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Two fantastic choices! :D

Cali King Bed is indeed underrated, and one of Rihanna's best songs. I re-discovered it a few months ago.

How great to see that you discovered 'Cassandra' through me! It's unbelievable that such a strong song was only a B-side at the time, it should have had a proper single release as an A-side instead.
Benny
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:47 pm

I just listened to "Breathe Slow" for what I think is the first time, and it's okay. "Bridge over Troubled Water" is one of the most classic, and best-written songs ever. Although the Simon & Garfunkel original is my favourite, I think Aretha's cover is terrific.

"Bring Me to Life" has such a massive chorus! I love it. "Bulletproof" was one of the big indie-pop songs that took a while to grow on me, but I eventually appreciated it.

"California King Bed" is good, but forgettable. "Cassandra" is good!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:54 pm

This looks good, love the presentation!

Will pick it up from the most recent batch.

California King Bed sees Rihanna in rare form, actually singing above a 4/10 for once - such a good ballad.

Bring Me To Life is a classic for sure, but I've always preferred My Immortal to it.

Bulletproof is brilliant, I used to love La Roux - this and In For The Kill were both bops back when I was at university.

Bridge Over Troubled Water is without question one of the greatest songs ever written, and the vocal structure continues to give me major goosebumps. I love watching old performances of them singing it live - as soon as the bridge comes, Paul just takes a step back and let's Art do the business.

Bitch is wonderful, it stood out back then and I think it'd easily stand out now.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Jerz » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:05 pm

My fave songs for the B's in your list: Meredith Brooks song, Brave, Bridge over Troubled Water, Bring Me to Life and Bulletproof.

Bridge over Troubled Water was the greatest signature tune from Simon & Garfunkel.

I totally love Bulletproof along with the 1980s synthpop beats. I'm shocked that La Roux didn't have a duo after the La Roux album but solo instead. I didn't know why this synthpop act was now a solo.

California King Bed was one of my fave Rihanna song. One of the best rock-R&B song for me since I'm unforgettable about this song and its lyrics are beautiful and powerful.
Jerz
Manager

Postby Spartan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:59 pm

Benny wrote:Two fantastic choices! :D

Cali King Bed is indeed underrated, and one of Rihanna's best songs. I re-discovered it a few months ago.

How great to see that you discovered 'Cassandra' through me! It's unbelievable that such a strong song was only a B-side at the time, it should have had a proper single release as an A-side instead.
One of the many ABBA songs I discovered through you - still some more yet to come!

JSparksFan wrote:I just listened to "Breathe Slow" for what I think is the first time, and it's okay. "Bridge over Troubled Water" is one of the most classic, and best-written songs ever. Although the Simon & Garfunkel original is my favourite, I think Aretha's cover is terrific.

"Bring Me to Life" has such a massive chorus! I love it. "Bulletproof" was one of the big indie-pop songs that took a while to grow on me, but I eventually appreciated it.

"California King Bed" is good, but forgettable. "Cassandra" is good!
Not you being the only comment that doesn't approve of a Rihanna song. :lol:
I've just checked Aretha's version of BOTW and realised that this was the version Glee covered (arrangement wise). It's very good but I feel like it's less melodic than the original.

Wayne wrote:This looks good, love the presentation!

Will pick it up from the most recent batch.

California King Bed sees Rihanna in rare form, actually singing above a 4/10 for once - such a good ballad.

Bring Me To Life is a classic for sure, but I've always preferred My Immortal to it.

Bulletproof is brilliant, I used to love La Roux - this and In For The Kill were both bops back when I was at university.

Bridge Over Troubled Water is without question one of the greatest songs ever written, and the vocal structure continues to give me major goosebumps. I love watching old performances of them singing it live - as soon as the bridge comes, Paul just takes a step back and let's Art do the business.

Bitch is wonderful, it stood out back then and I think it'd easily stand out now.
I don't think I've seen any live performances of it so I'll check it out.
I was also recently reminded that La Roux's Mum is June Ackland from The Bill.
Thanks for venturing into the Personal Charts section and commenting on mine though babes. :P

Jerz wrote:My fave songs for the B's in your list: Meredith Brooks song, Brave, Bridge over Troubled Water, Bring Me to Life and Bulletproof.

Bridge over Troubled Water was the greatest signature tune from Simon & Garfunkel.

I totally love Bulletproof along with the 1980s synthpop beats. I'm shocked that La Roux didn't have a duo after the La Roux album but solo instead. I didn't know why this synthpop act was now a solo.

California King Bed was one of my fave Rihanna song. One of the best rock-R&B song for me since I'm unforgettable about this song and its lyrics are beautiful and powerful.
Thanks for commenting, not sure if I'd describe CKB as rock-R&B though, but glad you enjoy. Yeah La Roux was somewhat of a one-hit wonder.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:02 pm

As a sucker for a ballad, I was completely in awe of the beautiful simplicity of Caught In A Moment, the babes convey strong emotion throughout the song and it's one of my favourites from them. Meanwhile, Clarity is one of the few 2010 songs that will likely appear on this chart - a thumping dance-pop track with an infectious chorus.
Last edited by Spartan on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:22 am

The original Disney Princess, Hilary Duff, defined my teen years with her Lizzie McGuire and awfully amazing low-budget movies, but her music has always been a joy to listen to. This is arguably her most iconic song, Come Clean bursts into pop gloriousness and remains untouchable. While I was never a fan of Destiny's Child, I've enjoyed a few Beyonce songs, this dance smash from Kelly Rowland really caught my attention - she sounds awesome on Commander and it has a killer beat.
Last edited by Spartan on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:35 pm

I cannot see the images.

Sorry I have been quiet. But I have been stalking your chart :D
Vote for songs in the Summertime Madness Tournament!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Benny » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:39 pm

cheapthrills wrote:I cannot see the images.
I can't see them either.

I quite liked 'Clarity' at the time.
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Thanks guys, I think I've fixed it now and used a separate upload site.

cheapthrills wrote:But I have been stalking your chart :D
I'd be surprised if you hadn't been.
Spartan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts