Spartan's A-Z Chart (G)

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

 

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:13 am

Now I see gray circle with a white line inside it like you are putting up dirty pictures and they are banned.
User avatar
cheapthrills
Superstar
 
Posts: 7036
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016
Location: Rocky Mountain High

Postby Spartan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:46 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Now I see gray circle with a white line inside it like you are putting up dirty pictures and they are banned.
Yeah, it's just d**kpic after d**kpic. :lol:

It's working fine for me. :-?
User avatar
Spartan
Legend
 
Posts: 32985
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009

Postby Spartan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:34 pm

Image

Today's update is one for the gays. Constant Craving is a massive gay anthem from out-and-proud k.d. Lang with lovely layered vocals and a catchy chorus. We also have the opening number from the 1970 Sondheim musical Company, you kinda gotta know the concept musical to get a full appreciation of the song, so if anyone's got a spare 2 hours, here's the 2011 show with Neil Patrick Harris, Martha Plimpton, Stephen Colbert, Patti LuPone etc.:
Last edited by Spartan on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Spartan
Legend
 
Posts: 32985
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009

Postby Wayne » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:46 pm

Can’t beat a bit of KD.
User avatar
Wayne
Administrator
 
Posts: 52704
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006
Location: United Kingdom

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:10 am

"Caught in a Moment" is sublime. I think the only two songs in their catalogue superior to that one (that I know of) are "Push the Button" and "Follow Me Home". "Clarity" is nice. It's very chorus-centric.

"Come Clean" is okay. It definitely sounds better now than it did the first time I heard it and rated it 6/10 (I think it was 6/10 I gave it). I'd give it 7.7/10 now. "Commander" is one of my favourite songs of the decade actually. It's the best thing Kelly Rowland has ever done. (I think you like "Stole" more).

"Constant Craving" is quite relatable. "Company" is lovely! I will never need context to appreciate opera-esque high notes, speed-singing, and melodrama. :lol:

EDIT: So that was "Getting Married Today" that I was raving about. I just listened to the actual "Company" and...um, yeah, context might help for this one. :lol: Well, honestly, when they're not screeching for Bobby, the track's pretty nice. It's good enough that I added both real and fake "Company" to my Spotify library.

Wayne wrote:Can’t beat a bit of KD.
Not even with a KO? :P
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 49096
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby Benny » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:01 am

I love 'Constant Craving', such a great song!
User avatar
Benny
Legend
 
Posts: 22639
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009
Location: .eu

Postby Spartan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:33 pm

Wayne wrote:Can’t beat a bit of KD.
You better stan!

JSparksFan wrote:"Caught in a Moment" is sublime. I think the only two songs in their catalogue superior to that one (that I know of) are "Push the Button" and "Follow Me Home". "Clarity" is nice. It's very chorus-centric.

"Come Clean" is okay. It definitely sounds better now than it did the first time I heard it and rated it 6/10 (I think it was 6/10 I gave it). I'd give it 7.7/10 now. "Commander" is one of my favourite songs of the decade actually. It's the best thing Kelly Rowland has ever done. (I think you like "Stole" more).

"Constant Craving" is quite relatable. "Company" is lovely! I will never need context to appreciate opera-esque high notes, speed-singing, and melodrama. :lol:

EDIT: So that was "Getting Married Today" that I was raving about. I just listened to the actual "Company" and...um, yeah, context might help for this one. :lol: Well, honestly, when they're not screeching for Bobby, the track's pretty nice. It's good enough that I added both real and fake "Company" to my Spotify library.
There are verses in Clarity? :lol:
Yes, you know my Rowland loving so well.
Once you get over the "Bobby" shouting, the music to Company is flawless. Glad you like Getting Married Today, such a great patter song.

Benny wrote:I love 'Constant Craving', such a great song!
Everyone loves that song. :wink:
User avatar
Spartan
Legend
 
Posts: 32985
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009

Postby Spartan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:33 pm

Image

Cool Kids by Echosmith is one of the more modern songs on my list, a cute little radio song but it's so damn catchy. The chorus is one of my faves of the 2010s. Baby Spice finds a track from her awesome Maybe album - Crickets Sing For Anamaria - a Latin-infused pop song with basic lyrics but such a catchy beat that you can't help but love it. She's had better songs but this one is quirky and cool.
Last edited by Spartan on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Spartan
Legend
 
Posts: 32985
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009

Postby Benny » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:50 pm

'Cool Kids' is great, both the melody and the lyrics.
User avatar
Benny
Legend
 
Posts: 22639
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009
Location: .eu

Postby Spartan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:11 am

Benny wrote:'Cool Kids' is great, both the melody and the lyrics.
You have the best taste.
User avatar
Spartan
Legend
 
Posts: 32985
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009

Postby Spartan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:11 am

Image

Onto a bit of D. Stereophonics' Dakota is the only song of theirs that I'll actually listen to - that's not to say that they don't have other good songs but this is the only one that I really like. While Electric Six's Danger High Voltage (which boasts one of the strangest music videos ever) is a catchy tune which doesn't get enough love.
Last edited by Spartan on Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Spartan
Legend
 
Posts: 32985
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009

Postby Benny » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:31 pm

Dakota is nice! They have another song I really like, Indian Summer.
User avatar
Benny
Legend
 
Posts: 22639
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009
Location: .eu

Postby trebor » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:45 pm

The graphics have disappeared.... :cry:
I'm pretty certain that the images were showing up just the other day.
User avatar
trebor
Legend
 
Posts: 13741
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014

Postby Spartan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:15 pm

trebor wrote:The graphics have disappeared.... :cry:
I'm pretty certain that the images were showing up just the other day.
They should be back up working now, I've tried a new uploader.

Benny wrote:Dakota is nice! They have another song I really like, Indian Summer.
I've checked it out and I like it. Nothing ground-breaking but pleasant to listen to.
User avatar
Spartan
Legend
 
Posts: 32985
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009

Postby Spartan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:19 pm

Image

One of Imagine Dragons' first and finest hits was Demons. Apparently it was overplayed on the radio but I don't listen to the radio so I couldn't care less, it's a great rock song. One of the Sugababes' more underrated singles Denial is a great Xenomania pop affair from their finest era IMO and definitely off their best album.
User avatar
Spartan
Legend
 
Posts: 32985
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009

Postby Benny » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:24 pm

I love 'Denial' as well, it's very underrated indeed! It's my second favourite Sugababes song after 'Push the Button'.
User avatar
Benny
Legend
 
Posts: 22639
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009
Location: .eu

Postby Spartan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:41 am

Image

A one-hit wonder for a 2000s dance track, Destination Calabria, is a saxophone infused bop that excels from having a really basic beat. The other song is a Rihanna classic - some of her tracks haven't aged well at all, but Diamonds still sounds as good today as it did when it was first released and is certainly one of her finest.
User avatar
Spartan
Legend
 
Posts: 32985
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009

Postby Benny » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:09 pm

Diamonds is great, one of Rihanna's best songs.
User avatar
Benny
Legend
 
Posts: 22639
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009
Location: .eu

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:36 pm

"Cool Kids" is good! It just screams Glee, so it was a foregone conclusion that the show would utilise it at some point. "Crickets Sing for Anamaria" is interesting. I'll revisit it since it sounds like it could be a grower.

"Dakota" is okay. "Danger! High Voltage" is solid! It lived up to its title.

"Demons" is brilliant! Before "Whatever It Takes" came along, it was my favourite Imagine Dragons song. "Denial" is lovely. I'm realising that I like or love most Sugababes songs.

"Destination Calabria" was enjoyable. I was thinking ahead to my 2010s decade-end songs chart about which songs would be contending for #1, and "Diamonds" was one of the songs that I determined would be. It's a winning combination of mellow and empowering that I can have on repeat for hours without getting bored.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 49096
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby Spartan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Benny wrote:Diamonds is great, one of Rihanna's best songs.
Thanks, it certianly is.

JSparksFan wrote:"Cool Kids" is good! It just screams Glee, so it was a foregone conclusion that the show would utilise it at some point. "Crickets Sing for Anamaria" is interesting. I'll revisit it since it sounds like it could be a grower.

"Dakota" is okay. "Danger! High Voltage" is solid! It lived up to its title.

"Demons" is brilliant! Before "Whatever It Takes" came along, it was my favourite Imagine Dragons song. "Denial" is lovely. I'm realising that I like or love most Sugababes songs.

"Destination Calabria" was enjoyable. I was thinking ahead to my 2010s decade-end songs chart about which songs would be contending for #1, and "Diamonds" was one of the songs that I determined would be. It's a winning combination of mellow and empowering that I can have on repeat for hours without getting bored.
Sugababes have so many awesome singles, I'm glad you're enjoying them. I agree on your analysis of Diamonds, and I only discovered Cool Kids because of Glee.
User avatar
Spartan
Legend
 
Posts: 32985
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009

Postby Spartan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Image

Two singles that I don't expect to be very well known on here. Actor Cheyenne Jackson released this upbeat, summery number a few years ago and I recall getting a few members invested in Don't Wanna Know so I was pleased about that. The other song comes off one of my favourite albums by 3OH!3, Double Vision is a great pop-trash song that is infectious as hell.
User avatar
Spartan
Legend
 
Posts: 32985
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009

Postby Benny » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:51 pm

I only know Cheyenne Jackson as an actor from AHS, I had no idea that he could sing!
User avatar
Benny
Legend
 
Posts: 22639
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009
Location: .eu

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:05 am

"Don't Wanna Know" is lovely. It has a cute video, too. I don't know what it says about our music tastes that we like 3OH!3 so much. :lol:
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 49096
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby Mainshow » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:18 am

"Don't Wanna Know" is freaking lovely, catchy and cute. I always forget that bop exists... need to listen to it again. Good choice!

"Diamonds" is one of Rihanna's finest singles!
User avatar
Mainshow
Legend
 
Posts: 15296
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Spartan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:40 am

Benny wrote:I only know Cheyenne Jackson as an actor from AHS, I had no idea that he could sing!
Yeah, he's been on Broadway and released a solid album of original tracks a few years back.

JSparksFan wrote:"Don't Wanna Know" is lovely. It has a cute video, too. I don't know what it says about our music tastes that we like 3OH!3 so much. :lol:
Clearly our music tastes are purely amazing.

Mainshow wrote:"Don't Wanna Know" is freaking lovely, catchy and cute. I always forget that bop exists... need to listen to it again. Good choice!

"Diamonds" is one of Rihanna's finest singles!
Yes, great choice. Thanks for commenting!
User avatar
Spartan
Legend
 
Posts: 32985
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009

Return to Personal Charts