Thriller's Top 100 Songs Ever (10-2 UPDATE)

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Thriller » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:05 pm

After a few months of deliberation I've decided to finally start this countdown!

It's quite self explanatory, my favourite 100 songs of alltime. Hopefully a lot of you will be pleased with most of the appearances and we can re-live some cool classics! So enjoy, and here comes the first installment...

100) Celine Dion - Think Twice (#1 1995)
One of the first ever singles I bought, although on cassette I still have it today. It's Celine's one and only appearance on the chart so that makes it my favourite Celine Dion track! A classic ballad, definitely what she does best, with raw emotion and powerful vocals it spent an age on the charts, taking over 3 months to reach #1! I wonder if that bloody Titanic one outsold it...

099) Atomic Kitten - Eternal Flame (#1 2001)
It's the one everyone hates! Yet it spent 2 weeks at #1, granted still not as successful as the original. I like The Bangles version but this gave it a bit more "oomph" and Atomic Kitten are good at refreshing cover versions. Natasha's screaming does get a bit annoying after a while though! They'll be in the chart again later on - no prizes for guessing with which track.

098) Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You (#2 1994)
For me this is the Christmas anthem. Instantly recognisable and everyone sings along to it. I'm no fan of Christmas tracks but this is undeniably good. It's not Mariah's last appearance on the chart but this remains one of her classic singles - reminds me of the days when she was one of my favourite artists and how much fun Christmas songs used to be!

097) Culture Club - Karma Chameleon (#1 1983)
Not many songs in this chart are pre-90s but this is one of them! A track that remains one of the most played tracks of the 80s and has probably become Culture Club's most famous track. It's a great pop song and I grew up listening to it so it'll remain a firm favourite forever! This is a song I hope nobody ever covers.

096) Tina Arena - Chains (#6 1995)
The first thing I remember about this song is that I didn't like it at first! The finger clicking used to get on my nerves but a couple of years ago I rediscovered it and realised how fantastic it is. Lots of power and drama, Tina is an amazing vocalist so it's a shame she never really took off over here but at least she has one classic ballad to her name!

095) Girls Aloud - Sound Of The Underground (#1 2002)
I have no shame in admitting Girls Aloud are one of my favourite groups, they seem to have a knack of making perfect pop songs and this is one of them. The single that launched them into a successful career and set the standards for their other three appearances on the chart! These days most groups find it hard to beat their debut single but these girls go from strength to strength - yes even Nicola!

094) Tori Amos - Professional Widow (It's Got To Be Big) (#1 1997)
One of my mates is big Tori Amos fan and I often tell him how much I despise her, however this track is her one and only redeeming feature! The original is awful but Armand Van Helden managed to do something magic with it and it remains one of my favourite dance anthems of all time and incidentally Tori's only chance of hitting #1!

093) Moloko - Sing It Back (#4 1999)
From one classic dance track to another. This is still played everywhere come Ibiza season and it was responsible for launching Moloko into the mainstream. 1999 overall was a brilliant year for dance and this song was right up at the front. I still think Roisin Murphy was a bit daft for wearing a shiny tea cosy on her head though!

092) Madonna - Hollywood (#2 2003)
The first appearance from the Granny Of Pop is the one and only offering from her "American Life" album but has become one of my ultimate Madonna favourites! Its infectious electro dance beat and sassy lyrics makes it sound like a much better "Music" - and the fact that Ali G wasn't in the video makes it even better!

091) Louise - Naked (#5 1996)
Mrs. Redknapp must've gotten a little frustrated over the years, all those great pop songs but never a #1! This track remains her best in my opinion and probably saved her from the pop dumper back in '96. Long before Britney and Christina, Louise was getting all raunchy herself which has rightfully made her the sexiest woman of the past 10 years!
Last edited by Thriller on Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thriller

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:07 pm

Some good choices there, especially:

099) Atomic Kitten - Eternal Flame
098) Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You
097) Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
096) Tina Arena - Chains

But also to:
095) Girls Aloud - Sound Of The Underground
092) Madonna - Hollywood
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby matthew_dixon » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:15 pm

100) Celine Dion - Think Twice (#1 1995)
A true classic

Oh my god - NO!

Well - it's an improvement on 99 :P

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D:D:D:D:D

Errr - yeah :oops: You didn't see that

096) Tina Arena - Chains (#6 1995)
Heh - this was a good song.

Good - nowhere near an all time classic if you ask me, but good.

Like the last one really - it's good, but not a personal favourite of mine.

Ahhh - this was really good. Much better than "The Time Is Now" - although oddly I preferred the next two, the ones that flopped totally :lol: .

What a totally random Madonna song :-? . Errr yeah - it's okay, I guess.

Nah - not a huge fan of this one myself. Good artist, but this isn't one of her best.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Thriller » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:21 pm

I really liked "The Time Is Now" and "Pure Pleasure Seeker" too, then they went all weird :(
Thriller

Postby steophonic » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:32 pm

Thats a good start to the countdown.

Especially:
100) Celine Dion - Think Twice
098) Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You
096) Tina Arena - Chains
094) Tori Amos - Professional Widow (It's Got To Be Big)
091) Louise - Naked
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Tiger » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:45 pm

Well I love Tori Amos so there :cry:

Anyway woo for Tori and Celine :D
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby Thriller » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:15 pm

I think she's awful, I can't stand her screeching and boring music :P
Thriller

Postby Virgostar » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:19 am

Yay for Moloko - much prefer Sing It Back over The Time Is Now....
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Cypher » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:30 am

Thriller wrote:098) Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You (#2 1994)
For me this is the Christmas anthem...
Absolutely! - I think this is the first chart I've seen where someone's included a Christmas track too!

Two nice dance entries there too - Moloko's 'Sing It Back' is just great, in its original and Mousse T renderings - always a winner on dancefloors. For me, Roisin Murphy's finest hour was on Boris Dlugosch's 'Never Enough', tho'...

And, yeah, Tori Amos rocks too!

Regards,

Cypher
Cypher
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:04 am

I really like "Never Enough" too, she was great on that track but it just missed the Top 100 :wink:
Thriller

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:17 am

Wooo for Girls Aloud. thats it.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Thriller » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:00 pm

090) Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya & Pink - Lady Marmalade (#1 2001)
There have been three big versions of this track, and this is the best in my opinion. All Saints were very close in making the chart with their version but this one has attitude, sexiness and soul. One of the best collaborations of all time and each singer makes their part their own. Look out for more Christina Aguilera and Pink later in the chart!

089) Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life (#1 1997)
They've got five appearances altogether, and this is the first! A great song to launch their second album, it's camp and lively, plus the video was one of their best. This is the sort of song that represented what the Spice Girls were about and will remain one of their most recognisable and memorable, but there are four better ones to come!

088) Bon Jovi - Living On A Prayer (#4 1986)
And now we come to a true rock classic. The 80s was responsible for a lot of powerful anthems and this is one of them! Everyone sings along to this one at discos and parties, it's pretty timeless and will always get the middle aged bikers up on the dancefloor. Definitely Bon Jovi's finest moment, they just don't make them like this anymore!

087) Diana Ross - Chain Reaction (#1 1986)
Apparently I used to dance to this as a baby so it's another song I've grown up with. Steps did a great cover but, shock horror, I've gone with the original this time around! You can't get a better diva than Diana and I think this is the song everyone remembers her for. It was written by the Bee Gees too so another factor adding to this song's brilliantness!

086) Girls Aloud - No Good Advice (#2 2003)
When this song came out, everyone including myself expected it to shoot to #1! Damn R. Kelly and over promotion! Anyway, it's their second appearance on the chart though not their last. The whole electro mood of this song made it was it is, a modern day anthem. It's the sort of thing the Spice Girls never dared to do and for me this secured the success of Girls Aloud.

085) Yazz & The Plastic Population - The Only Way Is Up (#1 1988)
Another trip back to the 80s but this song is still played in clubs and bars today! It's a proper summer feel good tune and can't beat the good old horn in the background and plinky plonky keyboard. I think Yazz was the one with the dead short blonde hair who looked like Matt Goss, is that right? She had a good voice anyway.

084) No Doubt - Don't Speak (#1 1997)
Surprisingly, even though I love most No Doubt songs, this is their only appearance on the chart! The song that gave them the fame and fortune they have today and they've yet to better it. It looks like things could be over for the band now but this will always remain a classic and VH1 play it on their numerous countdowns every Saturday anyway!

083) Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Murder On The Dancefloor (#2 2001)
After "Take Me Home" I didn't think Sophie could do much better but then this came along! Ideal for any disco and complete with one of the coolest videos ever, Sophie created a dancefloor monster with this track. I hope when she comes back after all the breast feeding she'll have some more crackers like this up her sleeve!

082) Madonna - Vogue (#1 1990)
It's her second (but not last) time on the chart and it's with the track that turned her into a true sex icon. Madonna was always best when she was camping it up in boob tubes and fishnets with proper dance tunes like this. Though her one brilliant moment is still to come, if I could pinpoint one perfect moment in Madonna's career, then "Vogue" would be it.

081) Coolio featuring L.V. - Gangsta's Paradise (#1 1995)
When this came out I hated it for knocking "Fairground" by Simply Red off #1, but the funnily enough I've grown to love it more! Using a great sample from Stevie Wonder it introduced modern R&B/Hip-Hop into the mainstream. I used to know the lyrics off by heart but have forgotten them now, though I do remember the fat black guy sweating like a pig in the video!
Thriller

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:58 pm

The following songs are all great, and made it in my list somewhere:
090) Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya & Pink - Lady Marmalade
089) Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life
088) Bon Jovi - Living On A Prayer
084) No Doubt - Don't Speak
082) Madonna - Vogue
081) Coolio featuring L.V. - Gangsta's Paradise
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Tiger » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:13 pm

Wooooooooooo for Bon Jovi - fantastic
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:21 pm

Thats better! Woo for Sophie, the Marmaladers, No Doubt AND Girls Aloud again!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby steophonic » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:21 pm

These 2 stand out for me.

A true rock anthem and my favourite rap song of all time 8-)
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby matthew_dixon » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:35 pm

steophonic wrote:These 2 stand out for me.

A true rock anthem and my favourite rap song of all time 8-)
I'd go with that.

Of the others... Meh for Spice Girls, mini-meh for Lady Marmalade, Chain Reaction is good but not amazing - same with Vogue. No Doubt's one is a classic - Girls Aloud's one just isn't. Sophie Ellis Bextor's one might get someone in here rather pleased to see it included (albeit he'd find it 82 places too low) and :lol: at Yazz and the Plastic Population. Yes, I liked that at the time myself :oops: .
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Terence » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:29 am

Some good songs here!

Meh- the original is way better!

Yeah - really good song this one! Cypher hasn't seen my chart then!

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Classic! Yet to come in my chart! :oops:

Not bad - their best single by miles.

Really good song this one. (The original version)

Not bad, not much good though.

True about Ali G :lol: - I hate him! :x Anyway, I hope better songs from hers are to come - this is one of my least favourite Madonna songs. :o

Not bad; not a Louise fan though.

090) Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya & Pink - Lady Marmalade (#1 2001)
Cool version - it was my summer tune of 2001! 8-) I guess it's one of those rare cases when I much prefer the cover. :o

089) Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life (#1 1997)
Really like it. Excellent start to an excellent career. 8-)

088) Bon Jovi - Living On A Prayer (#4 1986)
Yay! The ebst Bon Jovi song!

087) Diana Ross - Chain Reaction (#1 1986)
Woo! I love me some Diana Ross! I agree that this is much better than the trashy Steps version!

086) Girls Aloud - No Good Advice (#2 2003)
Hmm... next song please! :P

085) Yazz & The Plastic Population - The Only Way Is Up (#1 1988)
Woooo!

084) No Doubt - Don't Speak (#1 1997)
Another woo! Classic tune! 8-)

083) Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Murder On The Dancefloor (#2 2001)
Not bad, quite bored of this though.

082) Madonna - Vogue (#1 1990)
Ah - now THIS is a Madonna classic! Great video, great dance moves :lol: , great 'rap' :-? :lol: , great singer - good choice!

081) Coolio featuring L.V. - Gangsta's Paradise (#1 1995)
...and like Ste said, one of the greatest rap songs ever.

Good choices so far Mike - lookin' forward for more! :wink:
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Thriller » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:52 am

Cheers everyone the next part will be soon! :)
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:39 pm

080) Destiny's Child - Bootylicious (#2 2001)
Their one and only appearance on the chart and it's good one! This went head to head with Atomic Kitten on its release and for once I didn't mind which one was #1. Destiny's Child missed out but in the long run they've placed higher on the chart. This track is an R&B classic and gets all the girls in short skirts shaking their booties!

079) Fugees - Killing Me Softly (#1 1996)
One time... two time... there's a lot of times I've wanted Wyclef to shut it but this is one song he couldn't ruin! Lauryn Hill's sultry vocals and a steady Hip-Hop beat make this a modern classic. I think it replaced Roberta Flack's version as the most popular recording of this song and rightly so. The Fugees only appearance on the chart but with their best song.

078) Fragma - Toca's Miracle (#1 2000)
The original of "Toca Me" was never that good and Coco's "I Need A Miracle" was lacking something. These two tracks together though created one of the biggest and best dance tracks of all time! They had three great singles between 2000 and 2001 but then like most dance acts disappeared into oblivion.

077) The Cardigans - My Favourite Game (#14 1998)
I've always been quite a fan of The Cardigans and their consistent singles though they only have one entry on the chart and this is it. It shockingly didn't make the Top 10 though as I recall it did have quite a decent chart run. This is the type of "rock" song I usually like, brashy and you can dance to it plus Nina Persson is the best lead female in rock!

076) Madison Avenue - Don't Call Me Baby (#1 2000)
Back to a dance track and it comes from Aussies Madison Avenue. I remember when the originally made #30 in 1999 and I was gutted because such a great song had gone to waste! Luckily someone saw sense and re-released it and it gained the success it deserved! "Who The Hell Are You" was nearly as good but was more or less a clone so this track makes the chart. I met Cheyne the singer once too, she was nice!

075) Blondie - Maria (#1 1999)
Possibly one of, if not the best comeback of all time! Debbie Harry always manages to deliver and as this is their only appearance I'd say this was their best single by far. After an 18 gap between Top 10 singles Blondie scored a surprise #1 in 1999 with this song and it was definitely well deserved, plus sneakily giving them a #1 in every decade since the 70s - I wonder if they'll pop up again in 2009 to hold the record?

074) Eternal featuring BeBe Winans - I Wanna Be The Only One (#1 1997)
The first and last #1, but I'm glad this was it! Definitely their best track though they had a lot of brilliant singles throughout the 90s, it's a shame they split as they carried on great without Louise. I actually performed this when I was 12 in Stars In Their Eyes at school, obviously I was BeBe and wore loads of fake tan to make myself look black!

073) Shakespear's Sister - Stay (#1 1992)
One of the best things about this song is the video, it's all eerie and sad. Mr Blobby kinda ruined that effect though with his parody of it in his Christmas single! Anyway the song is an excellent power ballad and Marcella's vocals are outstanding. It spent a massive 8 weeks at #1 and a random fact is that in 1992 every #1 spent more than 1 week there!

072) Emma Bunton - What Took You So Long? (#1 2001)
I had my doubts about Emma Bunton as a solo artist at the start but she went on to create one of my all time favourites. The soft rockiness of this song made it really good and she was quite convincing, shame most of her other material wasn't more like this. I've always liked her solo stuff and she's managed to hang on 4 years after the Spice Girls so credit's due I guess!

071) Ace Of Base - Always Have Always Will (#12 1998)
This was robbed of not making the Top 10! After many good singles throughout the early-mid 90s they managed to top them all with their penultimate single which was this! A great Motown feel and a singalong chorus made this irresistible! I'm sure it's about time for them to make a new album now...
Thriller

Postby Cypher » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:41 pm

Quite a few really nice ones there, Michael. I'd single out:

Fragma - Toca's Miracle
Madison Avenue - Don't Call Me Baby
Blondie - Maria
Shakespeare's Sister - Stay
Ace Of Base - Always Have, Always Will 8-)

...as being particular classics!

Regards,

Cypher
Cypher
Superstar

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:22 pm

I like every song in that last set... but especially these three:

080) Destiny's Child - Bootylicious
079) Fugees - Killing Me Softly 8-)
075) Blondie - Maria
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Virgostar » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:02 am

Yay for No Doubt, Madison Avenue (Cheyne is supposedly coming out with a 2nd single here next week - don't ask, haven't heard it), The Fugees and a small yay for DC!
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:07 am

Woo for Destiny's Child, Madison Avenue and Fragma (Coco is from the town next door to me!)
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby matthew_dixon » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:11 am

Destiny's Child - cool song - as you can guess I did really mind who topped the chart that week. However, I actually obviously preferred the Catatonia one out that week (and the O-Town one :oops:)

Fugees - ANTHEM 8-) . Of the sort of stuff likely to be featured here, I think this will be one of my all time favourites

Fragma? Good dance track, but not that amazing.

Cardigans - Sorry but "My Favourite Game" is overrated, as are the Cardigans in general

Madison Avenue - Ewww - it's average, and deserved it's original chart placing totally, but not it's rerelease placing

Blondie - Meh, Maria was overrated, their earlier stuff was better. It's cool though.

Eternal - No no no no no :o . I think everyone knows how much I dislike this song when I was voting it pretty much from the start in the Eternal survivor :lol: .

Shakespeare's Sister - ANTHEM 8-) . Seriously, this is a really brilliant song. Thankfully not heard whatever Blobby did to it :o

Emma Bunton - Sorry, but a highly bland song :oops: .

Ace Of Base - Good lord - this is brilliant 8-) . Top choice to end the section with.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Return to Personal Charts