T's Top 100 of 2004!... #1 Revealed!

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Terence » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:15 am

Wait! Wait! Wait! :o

Since the forum's already getting cluttered, I'll start my own thread - just to reserve one in case we run out of threads. :lol:

I won't start it now, but expect the countdown to gear off in two weeks' time!

In the meantime, feel free to start predicting! :wink:

Last edited by Terence on Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:55 am, edited 24 times in total.
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Tiger » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:44 am

WELL I'll go with Eamon
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby Virgostar » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:49 am

As much as I would dearly love to go JMayer (I have a feeling he's gonna be #1 in someone else's chart though :wink: ), I'm gonna go the now-brilliant-according-to-me Run cos I know you love that song to bits!
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:51 pm

I'm hoping it's Avril, although I get the feeling it'll be Snow Patrol, which is who I voted for.
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Grybop » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:56 pm

I went for Eamon, because I remember you were complaining for most of this past year about everyone hating it.

But you know who I'd like to see on top! :wink:
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby steophonic » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:38 pm

I went for Morrissey.

I know it did very well in your chart a while back!

With the exception of Eamon and Bjork all those choices are quality 8-)
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Flea » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:41 pm

I dare say Eamon will win. Watch out for him when I finally get round to compiling my worst of 2004. :wink:
Don't explain yourself 'cos talk is cheap,
There's more important things than hearing you speak.
Flea
Superstar

Postby king_oxymoron » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:42 pm

John Mayer?
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Terence » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:14 pm

Hmph... before actually starting my countdown, I'll give a rundown of the songs which miss out the top 100. Not all of these songs were released in 2004 - some of them were out in late 2003. And obviously, not all of them were released in the UK. So here are #120 - #101:

120. Will Young - Your Game
After "Leave Right Now", which is Will's best hit to date in my books, this was quite a weird follow-up. It was good, but not good enough to cut my top 100 songs of the year.

119. Lenny Kravitz - Where Are We Running
Here's the first of 2 entries for this king of... cool. Yeah, for once he's had a decent hairstyle! :lol: This guitary anthem with its riffs was a sleeper in ym weekly chart but has to crash out here.

118. Rachel Stevens - Some Girls
Quite a big return for the only talented one in S Club - however, don't expect the awful "More More More" in my chart - this is the highest she'll get this year!

Give up singing (i.e. miming) and stick to sexy photoshoots love!

117. Petshop Boys - Flamboyant
I really like these guys' music. However, this isn't up to the classic standard. It's not bad, but I simply prefer other 116 songs to it this year! :D

116. Britney Spears - Everytime
Poor Britney! She misses out the top 100 in the year for the second time in her career... or third. Anyway, this is disappointing for her. However, there's only one entry for her to come. Any takes?

115. Gary Jules - Broke Window
Obviously "Mad World" will be a lot higher; this wasn't up to "Mad World" standards... it's quite boring at times, I admit, but overall it's better than the lot of stuff out there.

114. Enrique Iglesias feat Kelis - Not In Love
OK, a guilty pleasure - but this R&B-tinged one from Enrique and Kelis was quite good, what with its hooking intro. However, this is shamefully low for a song which managed to top my chart way back in March.

113. Kelis - Milkshake
And another chart-topper bows its way out! This song has been around since 2003 so I'm terribly bored of it. Also, it's miles away from her best hit IMO, aka. "Get Along With You".

112. Daniel Bedingfield - Nothing Hurts Like Love
Here's Daniel's 'comeback' single - it's not a bad song, but it does take time to really appreaciate, and like you can see, I don't really like it THAT much yet! Mind you, it's still riding high in my chart!

Daniel did crash out! :o

111. Geri Halliwell - Ride It
Heh, I promise there will be more... mature music high up. Meanwhile, Geri's comeback single lands here - fun song with a camp and cool video to boot with! This is the hgiehst any ex-Spice Girl will get in my countdown. So that means Emma and Victoria miss out, by miles actually.

The other 10 losers will be up sometime tomorrow. The actual countdown starts next week!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Tiger » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:34 pm

Woo for Britney, Enrique and Geri :D

My CHART
Tiger

Postby steophonic » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:42 pm

jlo17 wrote:118. Rachel Stevens - Some Girls
I like these ones.. its a shame that Britney one didn't make the top 100 though. :(
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:11 am

119. Lenny Kravitz - Where Are We Running
118. Rachel Stevens - Some Girls
113. Kelis - Milkshake
112. Daniel Bedingfield - Nothing Hurts Like Love
111. Geri Halliwell - Ride It

If great stuff like that is crashing out so low... then there must be some really amazing stuff to come :o

Out of those, Lenny, Britney, Enrique, and Kelis all made my top 100 8-)
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Terence » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:42 pm

110. Jonsi - Heaven
Strange by title - this is actually Iceland's 204 ESC entry - a really powerful ballad and which was the best vocally performed song in the whole contest. It's a shame this underperformed but then it was so underrated that it wasn't expected to do well - especially considering he performed all alone, without any backing vocals or choreography. Two other ESC entries to come... will Ruslana appear further on?

109. Junior Jack - Stupidisco
Here's the highest entry in this chart which didn't actually make my top 40, as I got into this very, very late. It's really stupid disco type of music which I hated at first, but because of constant hammering on the radio I surrendered to its addictiveness and eventually I liked it.

108. Janet Jackson - Just A Little While
We salute Janet now - with her comeback single - which unfortunately wasn't up to her usual standard, although this is miles better than the trashy "All Nite" song.

107. Safri Duo - All The People In The World
Some cool drum offering from these guys. This didn't get a UK release as far as I'm concerned, but it should have because it's insanely catchy and addictive. Never mind the stupid lyrics though… the song's cool!

106. Enigma - Boum Boum
Disappointing song from Enigma - who I ususally adore and of whom I purchased the Greatest Hits earlier on this year. It's quite different to their biggest hits - and maybe that's why I didn't rate it that much.

105. Busted - Air Hostess
I meesed my pants… thumbs-up (or down?) for Busted and their cringeworthy lyrics. Aside from that, this song really spells out T-U-N-E, and is actually the lowest of three Busted entries. The other two are, unashamedly, well safe in the top 100!

104. Kaiser Chiefs - I Predict A Riot
Well, I only got to know the title of this one fairly recently, but I swear I must have ehard quite a long time ago… I can't for the sake of music recall when or where though!

103. Kurt Nilsen - She's So High
And here's a surprisingly good cover of the Tal Bachmann classic. This turned out to be a non-bastardisation. In fact I quite like his vocals though the original is miles better!

102. Mario Winans - Never Really Was
Well, the sampling of "Papa Don't Preach" does sound out of place, but this is actually a fine offering from Mr.Winans. "I Don't Wanna Know" will feature higher - but this one was quite good too - and how this did so bad is beyond me.

101. Speedway - Can't Turn Back
And here's the unluckiest song, as it stands just a place outside the mighty 100! It's Speedway's only decent song - much better than their version of 'Genie In A Bottle'. I was quite impressed with the vocals in this one for some weird reason, and the song in itself had a pleasant melody making it a simple and pleasant tune overall.
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:45 pm

Woo for Janet Jackson... she made it into my top 100 of the year, despite not being one of her best!
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby steophonic » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:07 am

Woo for Junior Jack especially from that last lot. :)
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Grybop » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:13 am

Too bad Kelis crashed so low. That Pet Shop Boys track was not that bad either.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Terence » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:48 pm

Time to start this countdown then!

100. HIM - The Funeral Of Hearts
First entry for this Finnish band then - and it's a damn fine rock ballad, that despite failing to set my chart alight, did grow on me a lot as time went by. Another entry for them should be higher, but it isn't as smooth as this one - if "smooth" is a suitable word. Whatever!

99. Candice Alley - Falling
The bath-lady! Shell's favourite song of 2003 lands down here - as I only listened to this first last year, and I included this in my personal chart this year. It's not a rock-tinged song by all means - since that's what springs to mind when you think of Shelley - rather it's a fine slice of upbeat pop - worth checking out to those who haven't heard it!

98. The Darkness - Friday Night
And the only entry for this nuts band with one of the best albums out last year crashes down here. No "Live Is Only A Feeling" as that was quite bland, but this cut it! With its crazy lyrics about needlework, dancing classes and ping pong :o one can't help but liking this one, whose video was a follow-up to where the video to "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" left.

97. Katie Melua - The Closest Thing To Crazy
A chart-sleeper which "only" entered at #10, but stayed in the chart for quite a few weeks in early 2004. It's not the most instant of all songs, but Katie's mellow voice and the general laidback tune of the song make this one a growing pleasure! Sadly, she hasn't lived up to this brilliance yet, even though I haven't heard her album! More jazzy-pop coming up!

96. Joss Stone - Right To Be Wrong
Here's the first Joss song I really like! I wasn't impressed at all with her debut single, but as time went by she did bring out some really strong tunes… ok, this wasn't as strong a ballad to be branded as a classic, but her soulful voice just delivers everything! It's in my chart right now, at #4, so I might like it even more in the coming weeks!

95. D-Side - Pushing Me Out
Adam! Here's something for ya! Sadly enough, and embarrassingly enough too I must add, there are a few boybands in my chart - this one is the first! Whilst I completely despised everything they've released before, this one had something the others lacked - TUNE! Back in February, I downloaded this song form somewhere, and I didn't listen to it for some reason... maybe because their other singles are, quite frankly, shit! And in my WMP Playlist, this was next to D12's "My Band" (yet to come), and well, I just left my player on, and was impressed by the beautiful intro of the song following "My Band". I checked the title, and the rest is history! :o

94. Manic Street Preachers - The Love Of Richard Nixon
Another boy-band! :lol: - well it's not a girlband for sure, right? I really listened to this late - but I instantly liked this, with its bass and wicked intro - it's the Manics at their best, despite them having better tunes!

93. Maroon 5 - Harder To Breathe
Here's the first entry by Maroon 5 - quite underrated really, or more likely shadowed by "This Love". The corking shout-out-intro to this song is what makes this really good - it's a shame this one wasn't as big as it deserved, but I guess it's not as good as their battered hit after all, which is yet to come!

92. Goldie Lookin' Chain - Your Mother's Got A Penis
Hilarious tune now from the GLC - and because of that, they secure their only entry in my chart! I haven't heard the other tunes, except for "Guns Don't Kill People" and that wasn't that good - but this is a modern fun song, which should safely be categorized in a league of it's own!

"In internet rooms and computer mainframes
There's loads of females but your mother's blue veins.
Not the ones in her legs or the backs of her arms
But the ones in her member head and in her garms.
She walks around proud, with a short dress on
Which sometimes exposes the tip of her dong.
Often it's dripping, sometimes it's dry
No matter when I see her there's a tear in my eye.
"
And tears in my eyes too! :lol:

91. Gwen Stefani -What You Waiting For?
And the talented, hot No Doubt frontwoman has gone solo this year (well… not the song sounded that different anyway) and this one is her debut single from her album "Love. Angel. Music. Baby". I probably got the word order in the title incorrect, but who cares if the lead off single is a funky innovative tic-tocky tune with that Alice-In-Wonderland-inspired video to boot with? This may be a bit low, but then I was never into the song, and it's starting to get overplayed!

Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:53 pm

Woo for: Candice Alley, Katie Melua, Joss Stone, D-Side :oops: :oops: :oops:, Maroon 5, and Gwen Stefani!
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:13 pm

No need for :oops: :oops: its a TUNE! Woo D-Side and Gwen!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Grybop » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:24 pm

A rather low placing for Gwen and a very high placing for Him. :lol:
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Tiger » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:14 pm

Woos go to Candice Alley, D-Side, Gwen Stefani, Jonsi, Janet Jackson, Speedway and Busted

My CHART
Tiger

Postby ChrisH » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:32 pm

Biggest Woo for Katie Melua :D

But T - GLC? :o :o :o

There's a couple of songs in there I don't know though. :-?
ChrisH
Superstar

Postby steophonic » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:09 pm

Great start to the 100. Fantastic song, fantastic band.

Don't recall this one.

Another quality tune. One of the best things Darkness have done its gotta be said. Shame it went pretty much unoticed generally.

Not my usual cup of tea but I really liked this.

Argh - hate this womans voice - goes right through me. I think shes overrated generally... not my thing.

Didn't quite make my chart, but I liked it at the time.

Wow - an indie song that I dont rate! :o Nowhere near as good as their usual standard IMO.

Quality stuff! Glad to hear that there is more to come form them.

I agree with what you say there - the only thing I really like from them was this one.

Good pop tune this.

Great start to the Top 100 there T 8-)
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Virgostar » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:47 am

Ooh my #1 song of 2003 is there :) (bit bored of it now obviously, but she was basically a one hit wonder, unless she pumps out another album - shame her first album was so crap)

Yay however for Gwen, a small woo for Maroon 5 & I think I now might like that Katie Melua one...
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby nightswimming » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:49 am

[quote="jlo17"]Time to start this countdown then!

I like HIM, but their best song by far is "Join Me" that is yet to be released in the UK

Don't know

Haven't heard it

Pleasant mellow song

Great Joss Stone stuff!

Don't know this one. The only D-Side song I like is Invisible

MSP normally can't go wrong.

One of the best new bands of 2004. However, this is the single I like least

Never heard it!

Powerful and peppy, but it may wear you out after so much listening.
The real troubles in your life there have to be things that never crossed your worried mind.
nightswimming
Groupie

Return to Year End Personal Charts