Matthew's Worst 100 Songs of 2005

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby matthew_dixon » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:44 am

Best chart to follow shortly - just got a couple more songs to listen to that are coming out by my favourite artists and then try and combine 4 truly fantastic lists of ordered songs into 1.

So - are you ready for this year's journey through all things wrong with the music industry? Go on then, let's get this thing started.

I know when I want to end, so I'll be updating in 5s but maybe more than once a day. Let's kick it off straight away.

Honourable mentions go to the Rasmus "No Fear" for being disappointing, Xzibit's "Hey Now" for being a bit bland, Duran Duran's "What Happens Tomorrow?" for being VERY disappointing, and Babyshambles "... Forever" for its rude title and general lack of musical direction

100. Manic Street Preachers - Empty Souls
Sad to have to put the Manics in this list - sorry Roger! This was really one of their weakest ever songs, and got a No. 2 place on the chart purely because there simply wasn't anything else out, and they have a lot of fans who'll buy anything they do, good or bad!

99. Will Smith - Switch
Odd love-hate relationship for me this one. Hated it at first, then grew to like it. Then it go so OVERPLAYED :o :o :o that I hated it again!

98. Rihanna - If It's Loving That You Want
Okay - this isn't THAT bad, certainly when compared to the truly dire "Pon De Replay". Therefore, this rather average-to-dull slice of RnB only lands at No. 98 on this list.

97. Towers Of London - How Rude She Was
Probably their best single, but I've forgotten the other ones (like "On A Noose"). Sorry, but these guys are too heavy for me. Oh, and talking of acts that are too heavy for me...

96. Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
666 is the number of the beast! :o Sorry, but this song gets into this list purely because it's satanic! Me no like songs about Satan. (Well, I guess "Devil" by the Stereophonics was saved from this list :P )

So, any surprises in that first list? Trust me, there's some VERY surprising entries to come!
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Cornholio » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:09 am

matthew_dixon wrote: 98. Rihanna - If It's Loving That You Want
Okay - this isn't THAT bad, certainly when compared to the truly dire "Pon De Replay". Therefore, this rather average-to-dull slice of RnB only lands at No. 98 on this list.
:o :x Such a great song you don't like it. I think only that in this period of the year quite all videos that can be seen on TV are related to the clouds, snow, bad weather... Seeing a summer period in Caraibe don't think it's that bad,ha? Anyway, I don't think it's a bad song (can't wait next week to buy the single).
For the rest of the songs I quite agree with you, even if Towers Of London are pretty good :lol: xox.
Cornholio
Manager

Postby dan888 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:18 am

Switch is in my Top 100 of the year.. :lol:

Er, agree with the rest. Hopefully Westlife or Crazy Frog will be #1.

I'm also guessing that My Humps will be in here somewhere later!
dan888
Manager

Postby Marius » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:21 am

I don't agree on Maiden, but that's no surprise...
Let's have a second referendum
Marius
Legend

Postby Terence » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:06 pm

Heh, you bet me to it Matthew! :lol:

100. Manic Street Preachers - Empty Souls

This is good actually!

99. Will Smith - Switch
98. Rihanna - If It's Loving That You Want

These just show what's wrong with R&B at the moment! Rihanna's one is compeltely dull & lifeless. Will Smith's one I never got the fuss about. Both should safely make it to my chart!

I haven't ehard the Towers Of London one but that Iron Maiden track was quite good!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby king_oxymoron » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:40 pm

I like Will and Rihanna's entries :(
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby jszmiles » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:44 pm

Yeaah , funny topic - lookin forward to C more "blah" songs :wink:
jszmiles
Legend

Postby steophonic » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:12 pm

I don't like any of them, so good choices Matthew.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:33 pm

The Will and Rihanna songs are okay... but both stalled out in the 30's on my personal chart :P
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby pepster » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:36 pm

Besides the Will Smith tune, you nailed it right on with the other ones as these weren't my favorites either.
pepster
Legend

Postby matthew_dixon » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:03 pm

95. LCD Soundsystem - Disco Infiltrator
Daft Punk might very well be playing at my house, and might have been playing at my house all year, but sadly for LCD Soundsystem, whilst they're safely in my top 100 somewhere ridiculously high with their debut single, their others were frankly terrible. "Tribulations" is spared this list, albeit somewhat barely, but "Disco Infiltrator" sounds like Electric 6 gone horribly wrong! :o

94. Iron Maiden - The Trooper
And just two places above "The Number Of The Beast", here's some more shouting from metal gods Iron Maiden. Don't worry, Maiden fans, you'll be aware that they only actually released two songs this year, so there's no more Iron Maiden in this list.

93. Hanson - Lost Without Each Other
Another prime example of "if only this had been as good as it's predecessor"! "Penny and Me" will unashamedly be very high in my best chart of the year, but "Lost Without Each Other" was a bland forgettable track that really deserved the flop it got.

92. Gwen Stefani - Luxurious
Oh dear lord! I think Bry summed this one up perfectly by saying that it's actually the weakest song on the entire album! Why on EARTH is she releasing this thing as a single? Does she not realise it's destined to be one of Xmas's most spectacular flops?!? Alarmingly enough, she did do one song even worse than this in my opinion!

91. InMe - So You Know
Rather like Towers Of London above, chalk this one up as a rock band that's just too heavy for my liking. Again, there's no other InMe songs in this list, so this is pretty much a token entry for the band.

Stand by in the next section for two songs on the same theme from acts from opposite ends of the UK.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby steophonic » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:34 pm

I agree pretty much again with the exception of Hanson - I thought that single was just as good as "Penny & Me".
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby grooveboy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:07 pm

"Luxurious" isn't that bad....it would have been disaster if she had decided to release "Harajuku Girls" :roll:
grooveboy
Superstar

Postby Plym » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:03 pm

Yes, Switch It On is very rubbish for a Will Young song.

*waits for everyone to slag off Candy Shop when it appears*
Plym
Take Care

Postby matthew_dixon » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:15 pm

Plym wrote:Yes, Switch It On is very rubbish for a Will Young song.
Errr - that would be "Switch" by Will Smith that was disappointing given his previous work.

Not "Switch It On" by Will Young - which is currently No. 1 in my chart!
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Plym » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:17 pm

Oops!
Well yes, Switch is equally rubbish!
Plym
Take Care

Postby Terence » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:24 pm

I actually think that Hanson one's really good.

The rest I haven't heard bar Gwen which is a complete disaster!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:28 pm

jlo17 wrote:I actually think that Hanson one's really good.

The rest I haven't heard bar Gwen which is a complete disaster!
Agreed... exactly why Gwen released the worst song on the album is beyond me. Any other track would've made a much better single!
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Grybop » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:29 pm

Crazy Frog is much more evil than Iron Maiden will ever be :lol:

I don't really like / haven't heard any of thse songs, so I guess I like the list so far.
They need rappers like me
So they can get on their ****' keyboards and make me the bad guy, Chun-Li
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby pepster » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:52 pm

With the expection of Gwen, the last 4 are pretty bad also.
pepster
Legend

Postby Tiger » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:40 pm

Agreed with the post above me ;) Gwen is ok, nowhere near my end of year chart but she's not that bad
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby Marius » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:25 pm

hmmmm Maiden again...
you must really hate them...
Let's have a second referendum
Marius
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:20 pm

Yay for Switch being in there...expect it to be higher in my worst songs list, it's annoyed me that much!
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Twixy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:28 am

Aww Inme and Towers Of London :cry:
this town was meant for passing through but it ain't nothing new
Twixy
Superstar

Postby matthew_dixon » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:47 pm

90. DHT featuring Edmee - Listen To Your Heart
The Dancing DJs version of "Fading Like A Flower" wasn't that bad, but I just didn't get this one. Take the Roxette classic, get someone else to sing it, and every now and again hit pause on the Roxette and put on some formulaic dance beats.

89. Mylo - In My Arms
Sorry, but this is easily Mylo's most half hearted effort. Sunset Strippers did Boy Meets Girl justice. Cabin Crew - well, it was just average looped house. Mylo on the other hand only took four words of it and repeated them over and over again. His other songs are in my top 200.

88. Ricky Martin featuring Amerie and Fat Joe - I Don't Care
Ricky Martin - Latin pop star. Yes, you got that? Good. Ricky Martin is a Latin pop star. He is NOT an RnB star! What was he thinking of on this song? It just SO doesn't suit him!

87. Monkey Hangerz - Never Say Die
86. Seagulls Ska - Tom Hark (We Want Falmer)

Who remembers "Yeovil True" by Yeovil Town FC? It was a truly great song wasn't it! :lol: Seriously though - Brighton and Hove Albion and Hartlepool United should take note of that. These two songs were so laughably awful! :lol:
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Return to Year End Personal Charts