Potojr's top 100 of 2005

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Marius » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:01 pm

Well, I had to jump on the bandwagon...

I hope to finish it by Christmas, I will post probably the first 20 today, since I will be away from my PC until Wed / Thu.

So here it begins (it was quite hard to find 100 songs that I like this year...)

100. Magic Numbers - Love Me Like You

I did not like this in the beginning, but I heard it played like 100 times in the last three weeks, so it grew on me.

99. Tony Christie ft Peter Kay - (Is This The Way) To Amarillo

The biggest selling single of the year in the UK... I was tempted not to include it, since I prefer the original from 1971, but I couldn't find 99 better.

98. The Game ft 50 Cent - How We Do

A rare R&B song here, but I found this better than the dirge Fiddy is usually putting out. Nevertheless, there is one more song to come from him higher up.

97. Thirteen Senses - Through The Glass

Very fine indie song from right at the beginning of the year. I saw that some people around here liked it enough to put the band in the top 100 all time rock acts. For me, it is not that good, but still makes my top 100 of the year.

96. Gwen Stephani - Cool

Only 2 acts have four entries in my top 100, Gwen being the first. From "Love Angel Music Baby" here is this retro-feel song. All her other singles are much higher...
I want to marry all 3 Serebro chicks
Marius
Legend

Postby Terence » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:36 pm

I look forward to your chart as you've got an interesting, alternative & eclectic music taste!

It's ok, but I much prefer 'Forever Lost'

Not bad, nothing exciting either

98. The Game ft 50 Cent - How We Do
I don't rate this, but I hope 'Hate It Or Love It' is to come.

OK, but I actually forgot how it went!

96. Gwen Stephani - Cool
Her best song to date.
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Grybop » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:18 pm

potojr wrote:

So here it begins (it was quite hard to find 100 songs that I like this year...)

Ah, you're not the only one, believe me...

My faves so far are Gwen and Magic numbers.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Marius » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:20 pm

I look forward to your chart as you've got an interesting, alternative & eclectic music taste!
Thank you!

I hope you'll like it, although I have to tell you, "Hate It Or Love It" is not here...
Marius
Legend

Postby pepster » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:30 pm

potojr, good start here and I like:

96. Gwen Stephani - Cool

potojr wrote:although I have to tell you, "Hate It Or Love It" is not here...
Trust me you haven't lost much by not including it. I personally don't like that song.
pepster
Legend

Postby Marius » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:36 pm

Let's go further...

95.Sunset Strippers - Falling Stars

Out of the three songs to sample Boy Meets Girl this year, I liked this the most. I won't normally place dance covers in my top 100 of the year, but this was really good.

94. Moby - It's Raining Again

First of two entries by Moby, I don't even know if this charted, but I heard it on radio in May and liked it eversince.

93.David Gray - The One I Love

I normally don't rate David very high, since I found most of his songs boring. This one is ok, though.

92.Usher - Caught Up

Another artist I normally don't like. Nevertheless this is different from the bland R&B slows he usually subjects us to and close to my favourite tune of his, "Yeah"

91.Killers - All These Things That I've Done

First of three tracks from the excelent "Hot Fuss". The other two will be way higher.
Marius
Legend

Postby tdc2000 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:54 pm

I'm also looking forward to this chart, especially your Top 40. We mesh a lot in taste and there may be some gems I haven't heard.

So far woos for:

The Killers, "All These Things That I've Done"
Gwen Stefani, "Cool" (this song grew on me over the course of the year).
"And keep reaching for the stars...." Casey Kasem RIP 1932-2014
tdc2000
Music Encyclopedia

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:12 pm

Woo for Gwen Stefani, Usher and the Killers :D
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby steophonic » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:52 pm

What a great start :

93.David Gray - The One I Love
91.Killers - All These Things That I've Done

potojr wrote:94. Moby - It's Raining Again
First of two entries by Moby, I don't even know if this charted, but I heard it on radio in May and liked it ever since.
Never got released - they seemed to opt for "Spiders" instead, which was silly considering how much support the Angello mix was getting from radio 1 and on the club scene. Probably my favourite in your list so far.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Marius » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:30 pm

The third bunch for today...

90.Foo Fighters - Best Of You

Nice track from the Foos. IMO, their best since "Monkey Wrench". First and last entry for them, though, as, normally, I'm not a big fan of their music.

89.Be Your Own Pet - Damn Damn Leash

A song that peaked criminally low in the UK (I think in the 50s) from the american teenagers. For those who have not heard it, it's a fast, energic, 2 minute rock track from a band that reminds me of the Runaways.

88.Destiny's Child - Lose My Breath

A better-known song, now. The return of DC and, while many around here hate it, I found it better than average. I even liked their follow-up, "Soldier" but I couldn't find room for that in the top 100.

87.Lifehouse - You & Me

I found this very boring at the beginning, but it grew on me. Lifehouse are responsible for my favourite song of 2001, "Hanging By A Moment", but this song, a fixture in the Billboard Hot 100 for over 30 weeks now, is not a patch on that. Still, good enough for no 87 of 2005.

86.The Bravery - An Honest Mistake

A song that reminds me of the early 80s bands such as Human League and Haircut 100. I am yet to hear a follow-up, though so I should start for their tracks on iTunes...
Marius
Legend

Postby dan888 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:38 pm

potojr wrote:The third bunch for today...

A song that reminds me of the early 80s bands such as Human League and Haircut 100. I am yet to hear a follow-up, though so I should start for their tracks on iTunes...
Woo for this tuuuuunne from March/April I believe. I got their album, its very good and very much riding on the 1980s bandwaggon thats running at the moment!

Good choices so far! :D
dan888
Manager

Postby tdc2000 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:45 pm

Good bunch here!

Woo for The Bravery, Lifehouse, Destiny's Child (on my 2004 chart), and Foo Fighters, especially The Bravery!
tdc2000
Music Encyclopedia

Postby Marius » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:12 pm

Thanks for everybody who commented!!

I'm also looking forward to this chart, especially your Top 40. We mesh a lot in taste and there may be some gems I haven't heard
I hope I won't disappoint you, but my top 40 is quite mainstream, I don't think there'll be songs you've never heard. Before finally posting the list, I looked into some weekly charts posted on UK Mix (yours, Matt's, T's, Ste's, Tom's etc) to see if I hadn't forgotten a song worthy of inclusion and most of them were featured in all of those charts.

I didn't set up a poll as to who'll be my no.1, because, since I don't post weekly charts, you wouldn't have a clue as to what I generally like.

To give away some clues, I'll be posting every now and then my top 10 of years gone by, in reverse order (something like tdc's done, but at a much lesser magnitude). So, here's what I like the most in 2004 (without comments, I will post those once I begin my all time chart, due as soon as I finish this countdown):

10.Maroon 5 - This Love
9. Usher - Yeah!
8. Black Eyed Peas - Shut Up
7. Aventura - Obsesion
6. Outkast - Hey Ya!
5. Snow Patrol - Run
4. U2 - Vertigo
3. Hoobastank - The Reason
2. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
1. Keane - Somewhere Only We Know
Marius
Legend

Postby tdc2000 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:25 pm

I'm really looking forward to your all time chart! It looks like we'll be posting about the same time (my chart will start around December 15 or so, once my semester ends).

Re: Top 10 of 2004:

10.Maroon 5 - This Love

Big hit. Just outside my Top 100 of 2004. I was in a very "rock" phase last year.

9. Usher - Yeah!

#1 US hit of last year. It's undeniably catchy (it gets play on NBA telecasts here in the states)

8. Black Eyed Peas - Shut Up

BEP are a fun band. This one made my Top 100 last year.

7. Aventura - Obsesion

Dunno this one...

6. Outkast - Hey Ya!

Massively catchy track in my Top 20 of 2003. A real 21st century gem.

5. Snow Patrol - Run

Coldplay-like track. Made my chart last year. a little too mellow for my taste, but a great song nonetheless.

4. U2 - Vertigo

U2 are geniuses. Enough said.

3. Hoobastank - The Reason

#1 when my daughter was born last year. It was overplayed, but still a great track.

2. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out

One of the two most classic tracks of last year (The Killers' "Mr. Brightside" was the other). Huge hook. Awesome arrangement. Undeniable.

1. Keane - Somewhere Only We Know

I have a feeling Coldplay and Radiohead will feature often on your lists. This song grew on me over the course of last year. Nice choice!!
tdc2000
Music Encyclopedia

Postby Jon » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:08 pm

The Game feat. 50 Cent 'How We Do' was great song, I also liked Moby with Raining Again.
Jon
Superstar

Postby Terence » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:34 pm

potojr wrote:
Thank you!

I hope you'll like it, although I have to tell you, "Hate It Or Love It" is not here...
It's not that I really like that track or something, but I hate 'How Wo Do' so much I naturally expected the much better follow-up (IMO) to be present, that's all! :P

Now, back to your chart!

Not heard that Be Your Own Pet one.
That Destiny's Child's one is horrendous. I didn't like that Sunset Strippers one but it didn't bore me as such.

David Gray, Usher, Moby, Foo Fighters and Lifehouse are average - but I'm glad to see that 'Hanging By A Moment' was your 2001 #1. It made my top 100 of that year too. Not sure where, but it was well in the upper half!

However the massive thumbs-up go to the Bravery (should do well in my chart!) and the Kilelrs (in my top 20 of 2004!) 8-)
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby king_oxymoron » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:53 pm

David Gray & DC3!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Marius » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:21 pm

The last bunch for today:

85.Amerie - One Thing

Probably R&B best newcomer of the year (at least female, because there's also a certain Chris Brown...). Initially this song annoyed me, but I came to like it in the end.

84.Chemical Brothers - Believe

Featuring Kele Okereke, this is the first entry for the Chemical Brothers in this countdown; watch out for a much higher position for "Galvanize"

83.Hard-Fi - Hard To Beat

First of two from this new (at least for me) band. Not a major hit in the charts, but a major hit with me. Their debut hit is still to come

82.Verbalicious - Don't Play Nice

I've no idea who Verbalicious is/are, but this was insanely catchy and reminded me of Bety Boo's early 90's hits.

81.Click Five - Just The Girl

A track which topped the US download chart by a band compared with McFly or Busted. I always think this is the type of song that makes it into soundtracks for those American teenage movies that always end on Prom night (much like "Teenage Dirtbag", only that was 1000 times better).
Last edited by Marius on Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marius
Legend

Postby matthew_dixon » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:23 pm

Errr - shouldn't that be HARD-Fi ;-)

Well I can't stand that Amerie one and you should all know how much I hate the Destiny's Child one (which is 2004 for me)

However (also 2004 for me) that Killers track is one of the greatest rock songs ever written. A truly brilliant inclusion 8-)
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Terence » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:25 pm

potojr wrote:I always think this is the type of song that makes it into soundtracks for those American teenage movies that always end on Prom night (much like "Teenage Dirtbag", only that was 1000 times better).
Oh gosh... I love that description! :lol: So true though!

I haven't heard the aformentioned track, Amerie's is terrible and I much prefer Hard-Fi ;)'s debut to that! Glad to see it's yet to come!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Grybop » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:29 pm

Nothing that would get me too excited so far except for Moby. But these aren't bad at all :

The Bravery - An Honest Mistake
Chemical Brothers - Believe
Sunset Strippers - Falling Stars
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Marius » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:35 pm

Errr - shouldn't that be HARD-Fi
Should. Edited. Thanks!

Well I can't stand that Amerie one and you should all know how much I hate the Destiny's Child one (which is 2004 for me
Yeah, it was out in 2004. However, since I am posting this charts now, it will actually be for December 2004 - November 2005, much like Billboard Hot 100.
Marius
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:34 am

A small yay for Amerie & the Bravery (couldn't quite get into that Lifehouse song sadly)...and your top 10 of 2004 was quite good actually, 6 out of the top 10 have made it into my charts (U2's in it this year cos of the way I've calculated it) somewhere :)
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Tiger » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:53 pm

Dude! Way too fast :o

96. Gwen Stephani - Cool
92.Usher - Caught Up
88.Destiny's Child - Lose My Breath
85.Amerie - One Thing
83.Hard-Fi - Hard To Beat
82.Verbalicious - Don't Play Nice
Fantastic chart so far! Woos for Bavery and Thirteen Senses - fab
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby steophonic » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:10 pm

I'm quite suprised to see Verbalicious in your chart - that's probably my favourite from the last lot.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Return to Year End Personal Charts